Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gut check’: KU faces fast, emotional turnaround

Kansas head coach Bill Self leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 85-77 loss to Oklahoma State, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater.

— Someday, Conner Teahan will tell his grandkids about the day he went 4-for-4 from three and helped Kansas University’s basketball team overcome a 19-point second-half deficit in an 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Thse memories will always be in my head for sure,” Teahan said of mental snapshots of Thomas Robinson and Travis Releford ripping off their jersey tops and coach Bill Self raising his hands high over his head and screaming in concert with the fans following Saturday’s final horn.

“That was the craziest game I’ve been a part of. For a game I played in, it was the most awesome experience of my life,” added Teahan, a fifth-year senior out of Kansas City (Mo.) Rockhurst High.

In the wake of all that unbridled emotion comes the stark realization that today — just two days after the taming of the Tigers — the Jayhawks (24-5 overall, 14-2 Big 12) again must take the court in an 8 p.m. ESPN Big Monday contest against Oklahoma State (14-15, 7-9) in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“I will do what I need to do to get back to where I need to be Monday,” said Teahan, who played a career-high 37 minutes versus Mizzou. “I’ve never seen a win in Stillwater. Nobody else on our team has seen a win there. That’s motivation in itself.”

The Jayhawks, who are 1-3 in Stillwater and 7-4 overall against OSU in the Bill Self era, last won at Self’s alma mater on Feb. 13, 2006. The Cowboys have remained tough at home this season, evidenced by a 6-2 record that includes a 79-72 victory over Mizzou.

“It’s a quick turnaround. It will be a gut check as much as any, because, hey, if we could pick a game to not play on Big Monday, it’d be that game,” said Self, his Jayhawks coming off such an emotionally and physically draining victory.

Extra incentive tonight is the fact KU can wrap up an undisputed league title. KU assured a tie for its eighth-straight crown Saturday.

“Winning the Big 12 title is obviously important to us,” said Teahan. “It’s a streak we take a lot of pride in ... winning eight in a row.”

Self said there was a time he was not sure this team could win a league title.

“When we started 1-2 in the league (before rallying to win it in 2005-06), you’d say, ‘(Mario) Chalmers, (Brandon) Rush, (Julian) Wright and those other cats are pretty good. It’s just a matter of time before the light comes on,’” Self said. “Hey, I didn’t know if the light would come on. I didn’t even know if it’d be a flicker. Early in the season we were not a good team. We ended up winning some games. South Florida was a pretty good win (70-42, Dec. 3). The Davidson game (80-74 loss on Dec. 19) was good for us. We were awful there (in Sprint Center). One thing with our players, our roster changes, but expectations don’t. They committed to it. They’ve amazed me.”

Withey’s ankle OK: Self said Sunday that junior center Jeff Withey is “probable” for tonight’s game. Withey twisted his left ankle in Saturday’s game. ... The Jayhawks drove a charter bus to OSU late Sunday afternoon after a short 15-minute practice.

About OSU: Senior guard Keiton Page will be making his final home appearance tonight. He averages a team-leading 16.2 ppg, including an 18.0 mark in Big 12 play. He has hit a team-leading 82 threes. Freshman guard/forward Le’Bryan Nash, who did not play in Saturday’s 60-42 home win over Texas A&M because of a fractured left hand, averages 13.3 ppg. Nash may be finished for the season.

“The word is he fractured it and it’s a good clean fracture, and he doesn’t need surgery or any of that. We really didn’t have time to experiment with any contraption of any sort if he did want to play,” coach Travis Ford told the Oklahoman on Saturday. “He wants to play, but I’ll decide on Monday what’s best for him, and we’ll see.”

KU beat OSU, 81-66, on Feb. 11, in Allen Fieldhouse. Markel Brown had 21 points, Page 19, and Nash and Brian Williams 11 apiece. Thomas Robinson had 24 and Withey 18 for KU, which was outscored, 42-30, the second half.

Recruiting: No. 33-ranked Tony Parker, a 6-9 senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., who attended Saturday’s game, will choose between KU, Duke, Ohio State, Memphis and UCLA. “It was a great game and it was a great atmosphere,” Tony’s dad, Virgil, told Rivals.com. Tony wrote on Twitter: “I sat next to Larry Brown today at the game. (It was) the best atmosphere in my life.” ... No. 1-rated Shabazz Muhammad, 6-6 from Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, wrote on Twitter: “Had a lot of fun in Lawrence this weekend; great visit. #rockchalk!!!!” He’s considering KU, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNLV and others. ... JaKarr Sampson, 6-8 senior forward from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, told Rivals.com, “It was fun and it was crazy. I’ve never been to a place like that and I’ve never seen an atmosphere like that before. I got goose bumps on my back. It was just a fun game.” Sampson, who signed with St. John’s last year before failing to qualify, said he is “going to take more visits (perhaps to Florida and Providence).”

Comments

mikehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one out there who hopes for a #2 seed? I think the pressure seems to get to us when we get the top seed. The Fan(atic) expectation in the KU Nation is enormous. A Number Two lightens our load. Out of sight, out of mind. The less respect we get going into the tournament helps this team. Adversity, disrespect, no talent, no names, no chance...bring it on. The top tier teams have more talent on paper than we do, anyway. It's the little guys with the big three point shooters who are loosy goosy with nothing to lose that kill us. This team's best friend is a chip on the shoulder and a bad attitude from some "expert" Eastern media source that disses them. When we are relaxed AND focused (we have trouble doing both at the same time), you better bring it because these guys come to play with the best coach in America sitting on the bench.

Steve Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

Parker, Sampson, Shabizzzz get any two out of three, fine by me if OAD SBizz goes to Caliprobationari.

MU played great, as we did in Columbia, the final is just the way the ball bounces....Glad MU put together the best team in a decade. After two games, seems we are about equal.

Hope you do well in both tourneys, as long as no final fours..tradition continues.

okiedave 2 years, 1 month ago

In my humble opinion, it is heated rivalry that adds zest to any basketball schedule or games. Would I prefer to see a KU vs. TT or T&M game or a KU vs. MU or KSU game. No question, the rivalry needs to continue.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone know were to find the whole game online?

tcombs41 2 years, 1 month ago

Ode to withey. we need him to show up tonight, he is going to be the only one fresh.

DenverJHawkMK 2 years, 1 month ago

Straight off the espn college basketball presses:

Paraphrasing here:

At various times in Kansas's run, the Big 12 has been the best or second-best conference in the country. (Per Ken Pomeroy, that's the case again this year; the Big 12 ranks behind only the Big 10 in overall strength.) At various times in Self's tenure, his competition has recruited and rostered the likes of Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Acie Law, Tristan Thompson, James Anderson, Tony Allen, and D.J Augustin -- and that's literally just the NBA guys that first came to mind. I'm sure there are countless more worthy of inclusion, including lottery picks like Perry Jones III, or stars like Jacob Pullen, or Missouri's unique lightning-in-a-bottle squad this season.

There may have been some NCAA tournament upsets along the way, and some have been more dramatic than others, but in the biggest sample sizes, against some of the best college hoops talent of the past decade, Self's Kansas program has prevailed. It's a ridiculous, mind-blowing run of success, and we don't talk about it enough.

By Eamonn Brennan

niemoth 2 years, 1 month ago

It will be awhile before KU and MU play a regular season game again. It will never mean as much when it is non-conference. Mizzou made the decision that it was better for them to leave the Big 12 and hence leave the rivalry. Kansas would be getting pressure from the other big 12 schools not to play as well. Because of Kansas' tradition, they don't need Missouri nearly as much as Missouri needs Kansas. While, I agree, as most fans do as well, that it would still be fun to play each year, even in football, it is now a politics and spite thing that will not get done. It is KU's way of getting back at Mizzou for leaving and causing more instability in the conference by not giving them a game that they need more than Kansas does. Dana O'neill wrote a good article on espn.com about how Kansas can get back at Mizzou by playing the game and showing that they are the "bigger university." But highly doubt it happens. I know Mizzou fans try to say they left because of the instability, but it was Missouri that created some of that instability to begin with because they were hoping to be the next big 10 team before Nebraska when everyone speculated that Big 10 network wanted the St. Louis and KC markets. In my opinion Mizzou left for 3 reasons: more money (which read somewhere will end up not being more money when they have to spend more to keep up with the SEC football schools who spend lots more than they do), because of how much power Texas has over the big 12, and because of their lack of respect ie. when KU got the Orange Bowl over them (which was just because Lew Perkins was a better AD than Alden. Lew got us that Orange Bowl)

HawkInMac 2 years, 1 month ago

MizzouBest .... I couldn't agree more. Continue the series. It's the only one I know of rooted in Civil War Conflict. This rivalry is for more than just $$ or pride. It's a part of life!! RCJH

okiedave 2 years, 1 month ago

Nash will likely be playing tonight. KU recruited Nash and Nash is not going to miss this game.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone else as emotionally spent for the game tonight as I am?

MizzouBest 2 years, 1 month ago

KU Fans.....may I suggest.....after seeing Saturday's game......that we .....uh......

CONTINUE TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MizzouBest 2 years, 1 month ago

KU Fans......You know I'm an MU fan and can be a bit obnoxious and smart-$%^ sometimes. But let me apologize for "dbman".....apparently another MU fan.

But his posts went too far and were full of hate.......He is pathetic and sad....and has no class.

It looks like he was deleted.....I hope so. But my apologioes for his BS.

MizzouBest 2 years, 1 month ago

They deleted "Dbman"......good ridance

niemoth 2 years, 1 month ago

anyone else wonder what happened with just over 8 minutes left and Releford gets fouled. Ref clearly held hand up in air when blew whistle and waited to see if shot went in. Did not wave hands when shot went up in air and point to the floor to signal on the floor foul, but was 7th team foul, and Releford only gets a 1 and 1 instead of 2 shots and misses front end. I rewinded it twice to look and watch ref. Also, when watching the Kentucky game earlier in day, they reversed a charge call to a block after looking at tape and seeing foot in circle. Could Self have asked refs to look at tape on T-Rob's charge in 1st half, to see Mizzou player had heel in circle?

BPSkelly 2 years, 1 month ago

We all talk about the big "trap" game. Has there ever been one more set up than this one? Going into a place we recently havent played well, on Sr. night to boot.

My guess is we'll win, but I wouldnt be shocked if we need to beat UT on Saturday to clinch the conference.

OSU not having Nash is big, considering after witnessing the previous time we played them that Nash and Paige are about all they have on offense.

I wouldnt worry to much about Mizzery fans. They'll go back in to hiding here in a few weeks.

I'll miss the games with them, but I certainly wont miss their fans.

dbmansfl 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the good laugh everyone. I'm not angry, just disappointed. Seeing responses to my post(s) has actually made me feel better today.

The reason we lost is because we got out of our game plan as much as anything once we took the big lead. Michael Dixon heaving up threes when we didn't need to gave away too many possessions.

To paraphrase Denny Green......

"The Jayhawks are what we thought they were, and that’s why we took the damn court. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were, and we let ‘em off the hook!"

Good luck to you, unless we play again..........

kennethst 2 years, 1 month ago

Poor dbman.......Jealousy is rough, isn't it? KU has been,is,and always will be superior to MU in every way. Deal with it. And while you're dealing with......Sit and Spin, loser......Sit and Spin.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

KU still ranked #4, despite beating the #3 team. Duke jumps over the Jayhawks to #3. Could be the difference between a #1 seed and a #2 seed in the Big Dance. Missouri after 2 straight losses, drops to 8th, if I remember correctly. A #1 seed may depend on how Michigan State does in their next few games. KU definitely needs to beat OSU tonight.

p>Zagsblog.com has a nice write up that Shabazz's dad was very impressed with the visit he and his son had at KU, and that KU definitely has a chance. His dad seems, at this point to be a KU lean. Although, who wouldn't have felt that way after Saturday's game? Mentioned that he was specifically impressed with the weights program set up by Hudy, and the KU's academics. Looks like it could boil down to what happens when the two attend the Duke - N. Carolina game. Shabazz doesn't plan to announce till April though.

dbmansfl 2 years, 1 month ago

All of you KU fans and your "crimson" colored glasses. Very funny to read all of this crap. Bottom line is that MU has a better team this year and you know it. Ref's, smeff's, you can believe whatever makes you feel better.

We'll see in Big 12 Tourney Championship game, if you make it that far.......

It ceases to amaze me the holier-than-thou-Johnson-County-attitude. THAT'S why we HATE you ALL.

Have a great day!!!!!

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 1 month ago

i'm so sick of hearing about the officiating. here in the KC area, that's all we're getting. Frank Boal basically said last night, the refs conspired with the leauge office, to start "blowing the whistle" and keep MU from winning the league crown in its last year.

Steven St. John on 810 radio said it was a great play on TRob's block of Pressey....because he knows even if you hog tie him, or put him in a headlock to prevent the basket, no foul will be called.

Hey Moo fans! a big 'ol SUCK on it. All we heard from you after the game in Columbia was how great your comeback was, KU choked it away...and you can't blame the officials. well guess what? right back at ya.

You're up 19, KU gets zero fast break points for the game....and you still can't win? Withey plays 9 minutes is no factor (even though he got one basket) and you still can't win? Our bench plays 70 minutes...our terrible weak bench.....and you still can't win? You only have 10 TOs, have two more baskets, a lot more assists, and you still can't win?

on the fouls...the only true questionable call, is the one on the Tyshawn drive. and that was a reach in. the refs call it all the time. How many reach ins when it meant NOTHING...did Elijah get called for? You reach out...even if it doesn't affect the drive...and you touch the dribble driver...it gets called. almost EVERY time...even during the middle part of the game.

The TRob and one? Clear undercut by Dixon. He was late, he put the hip in....a pretty easy call. the out official had the clear angle.

the TRob block? no contact BEFORE the block...he swiped it clean...then the bodies hit. have you ever seen a three pointer blocked clean, and then a foul was called afterwards? i have not...and if i have, it's been a long long time ago. You are NOT going to get that call in that situation ....i don't care where the game is. that was a great play by TRob.

there, i've said my piece. We're in line to clinch outright an eighth straight league title (we already have the share), and there's plenty of season left to do great things.

Bill Self is hands down, coach of the year in the league.....very much up for it nationally as well. we have six schollie kids, that were recruited to play bball for us....that actually play.....six. it's truly an overachievement for what this team is about to do.

Just limit Paige tonight...and hang on the boards. we hopefully will eke it out, so we can have a big party celebration on Saturday. Go Jayhawks!

kennethst 2 years, 1 month ago

All I know is that someone....anyone.....everyone.......had better make sure that @^&$%%, little Keiton Page is covered. He will get some 3's but we have to limit the damage.

I hate thinking about his 3's going in tonight.....I guess I better prepare myself for it.

I think KU will win.....but it may not be pretty. We'll see.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Based on everything that has happened and that this is so obviously a trap game, can it really be called a trap game since a trap game, by definition, is a game with much less notice after a previous game yet the OSU game is getting a huge notice since it's a Big Monday game, we've had little success here in the Self era and the Hawks will not be unawares of the ramifications of maintaining that this is a trap game........

I just tried to understand what I have just written and, frankly, I don't have a clue!!!

I think I fell into the classic "trap post" whereby I was overconfident that I knew what I was going to say, but, by the time I got there, I knew I wasn't. :)

mikehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Time of the year, and with the status of this team, for the real, serious type bloggers to please stand up. The big dogs are on it now for some interesting posts, short of simply fan blather. Jaybate, trustyourSelf, dragnslyr, OakvilleJHawk, to name of few are out and hot on it. I cannot remember a team with as much intrigue as this one. The TRob story, the Tyshawn Troubles, underachievers, low expectations, no stars, no national respect, maybe Bill Self's best job (if that is possible), the Withey birth , no name transfers, deleted eligibility for big time recruits, a slow footed 6 year senior playing lots of minutes, a game last Saturday No One will ever forget, on and on. This is a KU basketball fan's sweet spot time of the year. We probably all need a 12 Step group, but let's put our hitting bottom and the need for sobriety off as long as possible. Let's just hope the national media keeps putting this team down . I think they thrive on disrespect. This time of year is a serious high for even the middle of the road Jayhawk fan, let alone those of us that read and blog at all hours of the day and night. God help us over the next three or four weeks!

manginorh00lz 2 years, 1 month ago

This is what you call a "classic trap game."

danmoore 2 years, 1 month ago

Easily the best regular season game ever! Hope we don’t meet again in the conference tourney or big dance. I want this to be the last memory of the rivalry.

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 1 month ago

"It's a great rivalry, two schools that fiercely do not like each other hooking up and going at it," Self said. "It is a shame it is going to end, but it is definitely going to end."

Great quote from Coach Self in an article about the rivalry ending that is now on the front page of msn.com.

brooksmd 2 years, 1 month ago

With all the talk about TRob's block on Pressey, I'm surprised there isn't a bigger uproar about the UConn player being mugged on the missed shot at the end of the UConn-Syr game. And is it true the officials for the KU game was the same crew that did the game at Columbia? Surprising if it was as bad as they screwed up that game. Don't think they'll be asked to the big dance.

Phoghorn 2 years, 1 month ago

If you are looking for something to do before tip-off, OSU has a pretty cool write-up of the history and expansion of Gallagher-Iba Arena. Yeah, I know, it is their place, not ours, but as a fan of the OSU-KU rivalry, and our shared history/coaches, I found it to be an interesting link:

Rock Chalk! Let's get clinch this thing tonight!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I love bashing refs, because they deserve it. Saturday was a prime example. Multiple fouls called in KU's favor, so then they call a touch foul on TT, and then another just to try to get it back in balance. Both fouls on TRob in the first half were horrible and changed the game.

In the second half, seriously, we got most every call. Not hard to see that. That, coupled with MU's shooting collapse and our never say die approach, got us back in the game.

My opinion .. the call that sent TT to the free throw line appeared horrible. A game changer .. from what I could see. Never got a perfect angle on TV replays. So I qualify it with that.

My opinion .. the call at Columbia .. the charge on TRob .. was horrible from any angle. A game changer. Took two points off the board.

Those calls changed both games. The national media was just as repulsed by TRob's charge call in Columbia as with the one Seth Davis and Bilas were squaking about on TRob's block.

On TRob's block, as pointed out above, the principle of verticality dictates that was not a foul. Problem is, as we saw with Withey's block a few games back, the refs don't call this stuff consistenty, so we get big discussions. Pressey was angling, falling down, when he contacted TRob. My opinion is that it was clean. But if I'm MU, I'd complain too .. mainly based on what was called in our favor (including the one that got Taylor to the line).

We're even.

Joe Baker 2 years, 1 month ago

said Teahan, who played a career-high 37 minutes versus Mizzou... “I’ve never seen a win in Stillwater. Nobody else on our team has seen a win there. That’s motivation in itself.”

All Righty Then - Just Beat the Pokes

JurisJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Best game of my life. I'll never forget it.

No matter what happens with this team, I am proud of what they have done. They have surprised everyone including Coach Self.

Rock Chalk! Now let's secure this 8th Straight all to ourselves!!!!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

IMO it looks like LeBryan Nash won't play ball tonight because of a fractured hand. That's fine if he wants to play, but I think he will be a non-factor if he does play.

With that said, I think that decreases the chances of this game falling into the "Trap Game" mode. I know Self hasn't had much luck at his Alma Mater, but I don't think tonight is going to be Ford's opportunity to knock off the Jayhawks.

We'll see if Coach Ford uses a press tonight that seemed to work against the Jayhawks in their comeback in the second half when the Cowboys came to Lawrence a couple of weeks ago.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 1 month ago

I was wishing the student section would hold up the white letters to spell "Shabazz", but it never happened...

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

A couple of things to note:

1) I hope Jeff Withey can play tonight and get that ankle loosened up and also get a couple more blocks. As of this morning, Withey is currently 7th in the nation in Blocked shots at 3.31 per game. He is second only to Anthony Davis out of the BCS conference players and has 96 total blocks compared to Davis' national leading 139 for the season.

That's pretty impressive considering Withey is ahead of Fab Melo, John Henson, Gorgui Dieng (Louisville), and Andre Drummond.

2) I have kept this stat all season, but I really like where Kansas and it's guard are focusing their attention from the perimeter in their six game winning streak since the Mizzou loss. Even in the Mizzou loss, I didn't mind the 3 point FG attempts, but the Texas A&M game is a prime example of where the team lossed focus and didn't pay attention to their strengths.

Mizzou - 6-16 from 3 point range (Loss) Baylor - 6-14 from 3 point range (Win) Okie State- 4-15 from 3 point range (Win) KSU - 4-13 from 3 point range (Win) Texas Tech- 9-15 from 3 point range (Win) Texas A&M 4-18 from 3 point range (Win) Mizzou 9-19 from 3 point range (Win)

Total: 42-110 from 3 point range and that means they are averaging 15.7 attempts per game which is about where they need to be.

Note: I can understand the second Mizzou win jacking up 19 attempts because if those attempts aren't taken when KU was down 19 than KU doesn't win that game. I still believe keeping the attempts down is the best recipe for this squad going forward though.

jgkojak 2 years, 1 month ago

This game should end recruiting for KU-

if you attended this game and you won't commit to be a Jayhawk you're never coming to Kansas.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I must echo the sentiments that this could definitely end up being a trap game for KU. We always have a tough time in Stillwater and we're coming off one of the most intense college bball games I've ever seen. It's going to take a lot of mental toughness to pull out a win tonight.

Don't get complacent Hawks, you've got a title to win outright!

And as far as ESPN personalities and Mizzou fans griping about the TRob block: Get over it. That was a clean block, no doubt about it. Sure, there were some other questionable calls, but that one specifically was called correctly. Besides, in the end the game doesn't come down to one call. It comes down to which team can play better for 40 minutes. KU was better Saturday and that's that.

You know what's better than griping about that call? Holding on to a 19 point lead with 16 minutes left in the game. That was the biggest blunder of the day and you can't blame anyone but yourself for that.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

1] The wailing and knashing of teeth is deafening here in Tigerland.

2] The concensus is that the refs were paid of by the Big 12 to punish Missouri for leaving.

3] Misery is claiming Robinson's last second block was a clean block above and an obvious foul at the body. [ Personally, I have seen it called both ways many, many times...my opinion, it didn't cost Mizzou the game!!!]

4] I do give them credit, because they are all wondering what the heck was their guard doing in the lane trying to stop TRob with a 3-point lead at the end of regulation.

5] The big squawk is about the "phantom" foul on Tyshawn's OT drive.

6] Did anyone notice that one of Haith's Miami players has been suspended and the booster invovlved claims Haith knew about it??!! It just gets better and better!!

7] A loss tonight will go a long way toward undoing all the NCAA good the victory against Missouri did on Saturday. With Nash hurt, shut down Paige and we'll be alright.

8] Let me congratulate the crowd on Saturday for an almost continuous overwhelming din, not giving up and, most importantly, not rushing the court. [Although, based on the circumstances, I could almost cut some slack on that, if it had happened.]

9] I hit the record button for the game and, for some unknown reason, hit record again for the two shows afterwards. Thank God, I got it all and have watched it three times over the weekend. What a wonder "mood enhancer!!!"

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 1 month ago

With one daughter an engineer about to work for NASA and a second daughter in law school (source Rivals.com), sounds like Mr and Mrs Parker have done one helluva job with their kids and I would love to see them give the responsibility to Self, Manning, Hudy, and the University of Kansas for Tony's next phase!

chaggs 2 years, 1 month ago

motto for the last 2 games: "Don't Share"

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Two BIG things here.

First, this quick turn around on games is just what the doctor ordered.

Think Sweet Sixteen to Elite Eight. Should this group get to the Sweet Sixteen (no reason they shouldn't) the turn around from the Sweet Sixteen game to the Elite Eight game is similar.

Second, glad there were some high level recruits at Saturday's game. Glad they liked the atmosphere.

BIG question, anyone know if they were caught up in the atmosphere enough to be yelling for KU, jumping up and down on the TRob block, slobbering over ones self on the Young and Taylor dunks? I did, and I was in the comfort of my living room. And if they did, it's a very good bet Kansas will be their choice.

Kye Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

We need this win tonight!

Winning tonight will display a different level of toughness for this team. Not a higher level than we saw Saturday, but a different one for sure. Overcoming the tendency of Self's teams to under-perform in Stillwater. Dispatching of an lesser talented team on a short turn-around following the emotionally & physically draining game Saturday. Beating Okie State on Keiton Page's Senior Night. Claiming the league crown outright now, rather than putting the pressure on themselves Saturday against a Texas team that played them to one possession in Austin. A win tonight will allow Self to let his team recharge more this week, as opposed to having to push them harder than he'd perhaps like to. It would also allow us to play care-free and loose for our own Senior Night next Saturday.

My early prediction for Hawk to Rock - EJ. He'll most likely be assigned to guard Page. If EJ shuts him down, or even just contains him enough that he doesn't "go off", we win.

On another note, I wonder where Ralster & Shaw are? Was looking forward to seeing those two chime in on the MU game

Phoghorn 2 years, 1 month ago

At the suggestion of Hawkinator, Phoghorn has issued his second and final Trap Game Watch of the regular season. This watch is in effect for Gallagher-Iba Arena starting at 8 pm this evening. Depending on how events develop, the watch could be cancelled early or be upgraded to a Trap Game Warning.

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

When we play with a sense of urgency. We are the best team in the Nation. We have had an incredible season. Losing all the talent we had last year, and still a top 5 team. What more can a Kansas basketball fan ask for? Everyone is still on a high from the game on Saturday. Hopefully it continues tonight.

The recruits had to come away impressed. Even if they don't pick KU, it doesn't mean that they didn't like it here. They have a lot of people in their ears. Sometimes there are other factors involved. I wish all the recruits that visited Saturday, success as they grow from boys into men. Hopefully, some will chose KU!! Go Jayhawks!!

bradynsdad 2 years, 1 month ago

Seth Davis posting on twitter the blocked shot by Robinson at the end of regulation, called it a blatant foul that was not called. He didn't post any other call/no calls but he made sure to let everyone know Robinson fouled. Doesn't shock me considering he wants Davis as POY.

Thomas Michaud 2 years, 1 month ago

Finally got to watch that second half against MU. Amazed at the work the Hawks did to come back against a really good MU team. There were some shots that could have fallen on either side to have cause either side to win in regulation (esp. TRob's two misses in a row down low -- kid could have had well into the 30s). Absolutely loved some of the plays that were run for dribble drive/backdoor passes/dunks from TRob, KY, and TT. Just hope that prophet and Conner keep hitting all the way thru March Madness.

For tonight's game ... I believe the way this team is capable of playing, the Hawks will walk away with a victory. Not saying that Page won't get his, but between TRob, TT, EJ, and a step up player (or two) tonight (e.g. Jeff, Conner, Travis or even Kevin) will make sure that the Hawks take the title outright. Having Nash out for OSU (or less than full capabilities) really hurts -- sad to see.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

The Jayhawk Nation of fans and boardrats has breathed many a deep appreciative sigh of relief after the victory over our league defecting neighbors to the east. Definitely will be interesting, the manner in which this team progresses after such an adrenalin draining climb to one of this season's challenging summits. Bill Self and Co. certainly face a formidable task this evening. Gotta hope they can regain stamina and focus to return quickly to the determined winning play that we just witnessed in Saturday's second half of play at AFH. Tonight's game bound to be another grinder. Rock Chalk!

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

i'm still in shock and awe from that game, i'm not emotionally ready for another tonight.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

They are few, but they happen. And people too often mistakenly refer to them as teams that got hot for a short stretch at the right time. Getting hot for a short stretch is not the common thread among these great unheralded, undermanned teams. The common thread is that they each discovered the supreme advantage of superior teamwork and displayed it during the tournament. Some had it all season, some for much of a season and some just for the tournament. But all had it during the tournament. I am convinced that the holy grail of basketball is filled not with the wine of great talent, but the blood great teamwork. The best team always wins. Mostly team's levels of teamwork are quite similar and so talent often appears to tip the balance. But there are these extraordinary examples of great unheralded teams of superior teamwork. We are about to know if this KU team will join them.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

• Till now the team has played for Self and to keep the title string alive. Now, it has earned Self's respect and a share of the title to keep the string alive. Now it must take the next great step in team. Now it must begin to play to win for itself. Now it must decide if it wants to be great, if it wants to be the best. There is no guaranty it can be, just as there was none that could win a title. Now it must look at itself and say, "We have done our duty. Now, do we want to be a great team? Do we have the desire and courage to get better. To take our game to the next level. To show the world that greatness is only in the grasp of those with all the advantages are wrong. Now they have to say are they willing to take on the ultimate challenge of team sport--the challenge of beating teams with more talent, but not as much team. Are they ready to find ways to beat teams of players even they know have more talent than KU has? Must the 5 stars--the haves--the riches--always win? Is it only the rich and famous that can be great, or is their greatness in us all, if we are willing to fight for it...and believe. Can the unheralded, the disrespected, the people, be great, too, or is greatness a dream allowed only to the haves? The answer is clear. Once in awhile the people win. Once in awhile seemingly ordinary men band together and do extraordinary things. They dare to break through the illusions and lies and hype about greatness and say, "We believe in ourselves. We have discovered the greatest secret of all about greatness. Greatness grows out of teamwork. It is achieved, not bought. It is within all our grasps, not just in the hands of those that are said to be better than us." Unheralded young men can band together and climb the highest mountains. All those that say greatness belongs only to those with the most riches, the most advantages, the most talent are wrong. Greatness belongs to those that choose greatness; that decide it is as much their right as any other man's. That greatness is journey and a quest, not a birth right. That nothing is written until a team writes it. The next two games will reveal whether this team of young men intend to pursue greatness, or stop at having done their duty. After the Missouri game they know that nothing is impossible, when they play as a team. But knowing that, though important, is not the same as choosing to become great. Only a few unheralded, undermanned teams have achieved greatness against long odds in the modern era since 1960. The 64 UCLA team. The 66 Texas Western team. Jim Valvano's NC State team. The 88 KU team. And a few others.

KJD 2 years, 1 month ago

Teahan (Rockhurst High) and Releford (Bishop Miege) logged serious minutes and were on the floor late in the game, a lot. Teahan gets 37 minutes and Releford goes for 34 minutes. Thinking of those guys as granddads, guys who grew up in the Kansas City area who knew all about this rivalry as kids, get to share these stories. It's so great to hear these Teahan quotes. I haven't seen any quotes from Releford. So happy for Conner that he busted out of his slump for this game and Travis has been a stud on D for us all year.

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 1 month ago

HAD HOPED FOR A DEEPER BENCH. I'M NOT SURE I HAVE EVER SEEN A COACH YANK A PLAYER FASTER THAN HCBS HAS REELED IN #1 NADIR THIS YEAR. CAN ANYONE SHED A LITTLE LIGHT ON WHY ( BESIDES TURNING THE BALL OVER ON YOUR 1ST POSSESSION MULTIPLE TIMES) COACH HAS HAD SO LITTLE PATIENCE W/ HIM? I LIVE IN ROCKIES RIGHT NOW AND ITS DIFFICULT TO GET ANY INSIDE INFO ON PLAYER/COACH RELATIONSHIPS, DOG HOUSE GOSSIP, PRACTICE HABITS AND ANYTHING THAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHAT I'VE SEEN ON TV. THANKS .

gardenjay 2 years, 1 month ago

Shabazz is a cool name.

Any game after Saturday's mind-blower would be extremely interesting. Call it a gut check, more like determine focus ability going into March. I'm thinking they will win somehow, particularly after the first half against missouri.

I think MO coach should just get over the end of the rivalry, since MO admins left all geographic sense behind to chase money. Yuck. Now we have to send our non-rev athletes to the east coast, either driving through or flying over MO, like that makes sense for enlightened institutions in a carbon flux world. Bleah.

trustyourSelf 2 years, 1 month ago

I just hope we get one of the three recruits mentioned. Actually, I would be shocked if we didn't get any based on the game they were at. Tony Parker would be my top pick. Even though shabazz is ranked higher and regarded as unbelievable, my guess is that shabazz would be gone after a year, but Parker would stay for 2 or 3. I wouldn't complain if we got Sampson, either.

Hank Cross 2 years, 1 month ago

Two places that seem to always give KU fits - Hilton Coliseum and Gallagher-Iba. All the makings of a classic trap game.

Brendan Connolly 2 years, 1 month ago

Glad to hear the recruits had such a good time. Would be great to get some late additons like these guys...think we might be hurting on size next year.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 1 month ago

Goose bumps, indeed!!

I hope all those recruits could just see themselves out there on the hallowed floor of AFH, 16,300 of their closest friends just saying howdy doo and Rock Chalk!! Hard to imagine not being deeply impressed with a game atmosphere like that, a frikkin' 120 decibels, Larry Brown and a flock of former Jayhawks who are on break from their day jobs with the NBA...

Absolutely fabulous game, guys, so I hope that you're able to get enough sleep and recoup enough energy to ride those Cowpokes tonight. Too bad about Nash and his broken paw, I was looking forward to seeing him struggle against KU again.

R O C K C H A L K, J A Y H A W K S ! ! !

theboehr 2 years, 1 month ago

the headline of this article = my thoughts exactly