Saturday, February 25, 2012

Plenty to play for: Big 12 title, revenge motivate KU in final battle with MU

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson drives between Missouri defenders Ricardo Ratliffe and Phil Pressey during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at Mizzou Arena.

Kansas University’s basketball players congregate at center court and chant, “Big 12 champs,” as they conclude each practice during the marathon conference season.

Today, in front of their own fans, the Jayhawks can stake claim to at least a share of an eighth-straight league title — and achieve an all-important goal — by defeating rival Missouri in a 3 p.m., tip, in Allen Fieldhouse.

“If we win this game, we put ourselves in great position to win the conference. We don’t want to be that team that ends the streak, so we definitely want to go out there and play tough,” said KU junior center Jeff Withey.

No. 4-ranked KU (23-5, 13-2) holds a one-game lead over No. 3 Missouri (25-3, 12-3) with three games left on the slate. Third-place Baylor and Iowa State are way back and non-factors at 10-5.

“These kids will be fired up to play for a lot of reasons,” said KU coach Bill Self. His squad blew an eight-point lead in the last two minutes of a 74-71 loss to MU on Feb. 4 at Mizzou Arena. “They have a chance to get a ring, at least a piece of it, a chance to play Missouri, but more importantly, a chance to play a team that beat us the first time we played. That would be plenty to focus on.”

KU also has a chance to win what’s being billed as the final game against MU in Allen (the Tigers move to the SEC next season). The Jayhawks currently have a 12-game winning streak against their rivals at home.

“The most important thing is to win the game, to put yourself in a position to win the league. That’s every team’s goal,” Self said. “This gives you an opportunity to at least put yourself in a good position. It puts them in a good position, too, if they win.”

Despite a significant size advantage in the first meeting, 7-foot KU center Withey failed to score while grabbing four rebounds in 23 minutes.

“We know how much this game means for our team, and for me personally it means a lot because I had a horrible game against them last time,” Withey said.

“There’s a lot of things I could have done. I was posting up against a smaller guy (6-8 Ricardo Ratliffe, six points, four boards vs. KU) so I need to definitely take advantage of that and hopefully open things up for Thomas (Robinson, 25 points) and for Ty (Taylor, 21 points) to be able to drive into the lane. We have a lot of size. Last time I didn’t take advantage of that at all.”

Guard Marcus Denmon (29 points) hit six of nine threes on a day MU cashed in 10 of 22 to KU’s six of 16.

“We actually guarded them pretty well, but we didn’t guard him (Denmon), in large part because he made some great plays,” Self said. “It’s kind of a ‘pick your poison’ deal because if you stretch out too far, then that puts the ball in (Phil, point guard) Pressey’s hands to make plays. We have to find a rhythm and a balance on how to keep them out of the paint and still pressure outside. (Michael) Dixon’s on a roll right now too, but their whole perimeter is terrific.”

Pressey had just two points and three assists in the first meeting, while Dixon had 15 points.

“We played hard, which we always do. We executed well. We shared the ball and handled their post presence,” MU coach Frank Haith said of the first meeting, one in which the Tigers were outrebounded, 29-26. “We did a nice job with Jeff. He’s a tough match-up — five, six, seven inches taller than any of our post guys. We have to do our work early, to establish low-post position and have got to keep them off the glass.”

As far as intangibles, the Tigers have to handle the noise level in the fieldhouse.

“The noise ricochets off those walls,” Haith said. “It’s deafening. When I was at Texas (as assistant) and we played there, you couldn’t hear yourself speaking on the bench. We’ve got to be ready to play. The good thing about it ... we said this in the meeting room, our guys have experienced playing there. That’s a good thing.

“It’s a constant noise,” Haith continued. “Very few places have that in the country. Duke is another place the noise is constant. It goes from high to higher. That’s it. But it’s fun. If you are a college player ... it’s a great opportunity for our young people.”

Numbers: KU leads the series, 171-95. KU is 88-33 vs. MU in Lawrence, 41-14 in Allen. ... KU is 24-10 vs. MU since the inception of the Big 12 ... KU coach Self is 17-4 all-time against MU, including a 14-4 record while at KU; MU coach Haith is 1-0 against Kansas as a head coach.

Comments

ccarp 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe we have a 2 game lead on the tigers, not 1. MU is 12-4 in the conference...turns out 4 losses may not be enough to win it. :-) Well done, Hawks! Love that our boys take pride in the conference win streak. Incredible conference season! Pressure is off, finish fluid and strong.

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe that Mizzou and KU will be elite 8 teams..and possibly more.................this Mizzou team can shoot! I know it is the end of a great rivalry and some folks wont like what I say here but.................good luck in the NCAA Mizzou except if you play us!

Go Hawks!

RockiesJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

This version of Misery is extremely talented and well coached. Their team quickness presents obvious match-up problems for us, but National COY HCBS and gutsy efforts from Tyshawn, TRob, Travis, and Young saved the day! Quality minutes from Young today! Well done!

okiedave 2 years, 1 month ago

Has to be one of the top 3 most exciting games ever played in the Phog.

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KU 87 MU 86 OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

Slick50 2 years, 1 month ago

What a pathetic showing from a team that lacks talent in the backcourt.. Whats more mistifying is Selfs lack of adjustment to perimeter defense, or the lack thereof. Our guards lazy D has showed up in a big way today. This not to even mention our lack of perimeter shooting. Every guard on mizWhos roster is better than anything we can throw out there.

ssteve1 2 years, 1 month ago

I think I've said this everytime KU steps up to the plate, "Defend the 3 and make freethrows."

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

Terrible officiating in this game in the first half................TRob's was NOT a charge..player moving and inside the circle.......phantom call when they said he pushed to get the rebound...anyone see him touch ANYONE??????????? and Whithey's block was clean...........what bul*&%@ calls from the refs.................ALL made by the same guy!

tcombs41 2 years, 1 month ago

hilarious link. an Ode to Withey everyone should get a kick out of this. Much more appropriate than my last link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONxTw...

danno1313 2 years, 1 month ago

Yep. Thomas will have to go off today to win POY. He needs to play the game and not take every bump or slap personal. It s a game played by big guys in a confined area. They re going to run into each other now n then. Hopefully the officials wont let the defense hang all over him today.

en1gmatikk 2 years, 1 month ago

Anthony Davis probably sealed the POY award today with his 28-11-6 performance against Vandy.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 1 month ago

KILL. MIZZOU.

That is all that is in my head right now. Just simple bloodlust.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 1 month ago

OMG! The article began "Kansas University" instead of "University of Kansas," I can't watch the game now because my panties are in a wad! lol

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Too bad that the classless Mizzou administration and athletic dept. sent Stormin' Norman away with such little grace, replacing him with that mophead East Coast clown. Norm's colorful demeanor and rabid actions contibuted much to the spirit of late 20th century Border Battles. Class act, Roy and our athletic program honoring him in The Phog with the rocker. A memorable occasion, printing another historical page into the everswelling annals of Kansas Basketball.

KU4ME 2 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know what player from kansas has scored most against MU

mikehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Suggested headline for tomorrow's LJW. Put Out of Their Mizzery!

kennethst 2 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate-we need you at your best today......so get on the game discusion early and stay there!!

KU fans.......bring your best today. Remember....this is NOT your Dad's or Grandad's Missouri.......MU is a very good team that has a lot of experience......we will need to be at our best to beat them.

MizzouBest 2 years, 1 month ago

I stay with my earlier prediction.....KU wins by 10. But I think we will play again in Big 12 tournement........maybe even in March Madness??? Who knows? Wouldn't that be something???

sawman3333 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's win this one for Coach Fam!

sawman3333 2 years, 1 month ago

Good article on Yahoo: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-t25-kansas-missourifinale. Even Norm Stewart agrees we should not continue to play this game in the future.

hail2olku 2 years, 1 month ago

I am already stressed that the UCLA-Arizona game will go long and we will miss the start if our game. Gonna be a long day.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

It's not revenge.... it's the reckoning.

--Doc Holliday

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

This may be lame, but I'd love to hear your stories about your all time favorite KU fan.

Mine was a sweet little old lady that I became friends with at church many years ago.

She was about 5' tall, maybe 100 lbs and very shy and introverted.

Until it came to KU Basketball.

She LOVED her Jayhawks more than anyone I've ever met.

She and her husband lived out in the country, about 50 miles from town and I'll never forget the lesson she taught me about team loyalty back in the spring of 2007. KU and Texas were to play for the Big 12 championship at 2:00 that afternoon. Betty was very upset that they weren't going to be home in time to watch the game as they had to do their shopping for the week and just couldn't get home by then. (Our church usually gets out around 12:30pm)

Naturally, I invited them over to our house to watch the game, and told them they could go shopping after it was over. It took all of 1 millisecond for her to take me up on that offer. If you remember, about 10 minutes into the game, we were behind 32-10. I was so ticked off, I couldn't stand it. I really wanted to leave and go do.....ANYTHING else. But I had company. Great frickin idea.

We were getting pounded and looked terrible and I was just fuming. Betty pointed her finger at me and basically scolded me and said "You just wait and see. Our Jayhawks WILL come back and win this game". You could tell she really believed it too.

I thought she was out of her mind. But you all know that she was right.

Betty died a few months later at the age of 81. In her casket was a small Jayhawk stuffed animal, a program from the only game she had ever attended in person, a Jayhawk lapel pin, and a bag of peanuts (she had the same brand of peanuts during every KU game - not a superstition - she called it a "tradition" !)

I've thought about her at some point during just about every KU game for the past 5 years.

Oh - by the way, Betty was born and raised in Columbia, Mo and had a Don Fambrough-esque hatred of all things Missouri Tiger related.

I know it sounds cliche - but I REALLY hope we win this last one for her.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't see why anyone thinks this game is worth discussing. NOBODY, not even Kentucky could beat us in the PHOG.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

Keep Ratliffe neutralized like last game and I daresay we've got it.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

KU bb players:

As if you didn't have enough motivation, remember what Conan (the Barbarian) said when asked what is best in life.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

mispayku 2 years, 1 month ago

I had some pregrame anxieties...

Twas the night before the Border War, at Allen Fieldhouse;

MU fans are stirring, like a drunken mouse.

KU fans are thinking of our banners, all hung with care;

In hopes that another soon would be there.

The KU players all snug in their beds;

While visions of thrashing MU dance in their heads.

And Self is in the video room, going over plays;

While Haith and his team scratch their heads, in a confused daze.

While out on the town there arose much chatter;

Who wins tomorrow…does it really matter?

We’re already 76 games ahead;

MU is like playing the walking dead.

The Phog is sure to blur their dream once more;

Those fools have never made it to a Final Four.

When, what to my wondering ears overhear;

The excitement of beating them in the final year.

Kansas is wearing their crimson and blue;

We own this rivalry, this is nothing new.

More Conference Regular Season Championships, by far...

The game is basketball—and we are the star!

Now T-Rob! now, Tyshawn! now, Releford and Withey!

On, EJ! On, Teahan! on, on Young and Wesley!

Take it to the hoop! Take care of that ball!

Now dunk away! Dunk away! Dunk them all!

As we prepare for the last rivalry show;

There is something we think MU should know.

You leave this conference with one thing in mind;

The successes we’ve had…you’ll never find.

5 National Championships, that we do hold;

To say that you’re better is pretty bold.

As this bitter-sweet rivalry draws to a near;

KU simply has nothing to fear.

In the Big 12 we have planted our feet;

And we’ll own you forever, so enjoy the backseat.

Tomorrow the target is placed upon your back;

It’s time to bury the gold and black.

We’ll miss this great fight in the following years;

But you have the SEC, so dry your tears.

One last game, one last fight…

Happy Border War to all, and to all an anxiety-filled night!

(M)

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

At 3 today I will be firmly seated at a ......wedding.

No Tivo, I'm a bit of a tech dinosaur. Hoping there's something online that allows a replay.

Kind of ironic I will be watching the union of two people I love and at the same time a sort of divorce is occurring where the unfaithful partner leaves for someone supposedly better.

The divorce will be settled in court too, Bill Self the prosecutor, Mike Anderson the defense attorney, the striped shirt arbiters hopefully will be fairer than phase one of the trial. The judgement will be proclaimed around 5:00. The sins of the unfaithful partner will be laid out clearly before the 16,300 witnesses who will jeer at the offenders every chance they get.

The settlement will be one-sided. The victors will get to raise a banner for an 8th straight season, the adulterous losers will make the ride back to their home in shame. Sure they'll think they made the right choice when they beat up South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn and most of the other weak siblings they're joining. But when the gridiron beatdowns they'll endure occur they'll long for their old partner and realize the error of their ways.

The trial will end with an unusual custom. The supporters of the jilted will partake in an eerie chant Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU.

Greg Lux 2 years, 1 month ago

I wish I hadn't read all those wishes ... KU - 92 MU - 78 Rock Chalk Jayhawks

Ken Sedgwick 2 years, 1 month ago

All I ask from this team is 40 minutes of focus. I will do best to channel my excess energy to that 15 to 20 percent of fans who are the ones that are caught only halfhartedlly clapping with that stupid grin on their face as to say wow it is really loud. Please clap hard, scream loud, and stomp yor damn feet. If you can not follow these simple instructions, please get your tickets to me or another devoted KU fan.

Scott Wooten 2 years, 1 month ago

I wish so bad I could be in Lawrence today. It's gonna be a beautiful thing to watch us send those meth head punks out with a good ol' ass stomping. RCJHKU!!! Lets go HAWKS!!!

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

Kansas is basketball!! Check out the name on the court. That says it all. Missouri is just another team that's in the way. Missouri you can't have it both ways, leave the Big XII and still get to play KU, yeah right. Deuces! Let's send them out the right way! Go Jayhawks!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I know there is a difference of opinion on this, and I respect that .. but I'd like to see the rivalry continue. If for no other reason than I can't come up with all this crap on any other potential rival.

And that's why it's so fun to beat MU .. you can't make this stuff up.

KU 79 MU 71

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Has a school ever had major success yanked away at the last moment like this pathetic institution? The NU football "kicked" TD (“flea kicker”) in the last seconds as fans run onto the field, thinking they had won. Tyus Edney. Did you hear me? Tyus freaking Edney! Ricky Clemons, and jail, and Carmento Floyd, and taped phone calls and ATVs, crackers, and broken ribs. Beautiful. A #1 football ranking only to get punked by a real football school. The following season was to be THE season, but it crumbles without a Chase. A quarterback that digs deep in his nose, on national TV .. much like Spaulding. Their “best football season ever” resulted in a trip .. to the Cotton bowl. Of course, KU stole their glory .. with fans that actually travel. They are unsure of what BCS really means Like the Final Four, it is an amorphous concept. It’s a conspiracy. And, of course, a 5th down to defeat vs. Colorado. Now, with a team in the top 5, the Gods .. as in the days of Rome .. look dimly on the inferior institution's prospects. We know what's coming. We know. It is their destiny. It is cruel, isn't it? MU is a school that still longingly harkens back to its confederate civil war history, that has such little tradition in any sport, that can’t ever really win anything, and that has an inflated self-image, that runs from conference to conference seeking shelter, claiming to be whatever is needed .. but deep down, they know. They know. In the end, Missouri will always shoot themselves in the foot. A school who contrast a rap video with our pregame video .. baby, We Are Mizzou. Some say without youtube we would have never known. But we know. They know. And they will always wish that the good Lord had permitted them to be born a Jayhawk.

Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers!
 A big game loss each time we play.
 Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers!
 And our Tigers will go down to defeat today.
 We've got the team that flames out each season.
We've got the team that knows defeat!
 Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers!
 And our Tigers will lose today!
 Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers!
 And our Tigers will lose today! Grrrrr Tigers.

As a note, I was at a basketball game a while back in Independence .. my niece. A lady came in wearing a KU jacket. An old guy in a wheelchair, MU attire, said, "Lady, we don't allow those jackets in these parts." Not in a joking tone. I interjected .. "Sir, the lady has a bit of common sense." The gentleman replied, with a laugh to his wife (missing a few teeth, mind you .. the wife) "I don't know what you all drink in Lawrence." I finished the deal .. "Final Fours .. that's what we drink .. 13 of them." End of conversation.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Yet has there ever been a real "championship?" I’m sorry, did you know that MU did win a national championship … in indoor track .. in 1965. That’s as real as it gets in Columbia. As real as the gas station robberies, violent crime, and crime index areas that rank 11 out of 100 .. that’s right, 100 is the safest, and 11 is “Escape from New York” .. in Columbia. Their police chief, outside of his normal duties, scuffles with KU fans that simply have a banner stating “Allen Fieldhouse East” .. the KU fans are booted out of the arena and arrested. Of course, our fans were later cleared by a Columbia police internal investigation. But no apology.

Their fans scream bloody murder when their own player steps out of bounds, sure that the ref moved the line. Ignorant fans, they just don’t know any better. Every call must go their way or its robbery. Contrast that to AFH or Gonzaga, for goodness sake. Their all-male fan grouping, the Antlers, sit around and giggle about making phone calls to opposing players' rooms .. it's their calling card, after all ... all the while spending lots of time together, in hotel rooms .. not sure what the antlers are for; don't want to know. They revel in heckling opposing players Their favorite lines involve bringing up that a player’s brother is disabled, or referring to one of their body parts and a player’s sister, or simply yelling obscenities with no logical end. Now, we hear the NMT stuff is considered. Who thinks like that? We know. And MU security permits it .. all in fun. Their explanation? All colleges have fans like this, or so they think. Of course, there was some drinking with coach Eustachy .. Natty light, I hear. (cont)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

And its basketball arena, first known as the "Paige" Sports arena, was named for a college student who attended USC, and who paid a student to do work for her .. allegedly. Now it is simply Mizzou arena. Very original. Perhaps they could have harkened back to their basketball heritage, and pulled a name worthy of recognition ... word is they tried. They may still be trying. Word is they may name it after their best player of all-time ... Doug Smith. Impressive. And yes, we got the better Rush.

Mizzou fans are known to "storm the court" for wins .. in January .. against Oklahoma. They've been known to start the season in the top 5, only to finish in the NIT. But just making the tournament is success. Heck, just making the NIT is success. Their favorite March past-time is rooting against their rival. And their March tradition is buying and wearing t-shirts of schools that beat their rival, in the tournament that they aren’t in. But this is a school that had to run “deals” to get their basketball tickets purchased. And this is a school that defines its existence by their rival’s failures. And this all makes sense to them. Their arena is half full on a good night. Self says no to continuing the rivalry for now, knowing that without the KU rivalry, the pocketbook is where MU will be impacted. Very few real sellouts on that schedule -- one, to be precise.

A lack of real identity caused MU to be known as a softball school for a time, and they continue to emphasize their school of journalism. Point well taken -- that is absolutely wonderful. Something south of a debate national championship, though. They are so sure about their existence that they lobbied the legislature to keep Missouri State from becoming "Missouri State", preferring the less threatening Southwest Missouri State. "Champions Drive" .. the height of presumptuousness, runs between their basketball arena and their football stadium. (cont)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

And in honor of our Border War rivals -- a repost from our prior contest: Ask yourself this .. how can a team play D-1 college basketball for over a century and NOT make it to one measly final four? Just one. In over a century. The answer is only in Columbia ---- Dartmouth, Duequesne, Colorado, Holy Cross, Baylor, NYU, Wichita St., NC-Charlotte, SMU, Drake, Dayton, Iowa St., Seattle, and for goodness sake, Santa Clara, have all attained Final Four immortality. But Missouri ... well, they haven't. They watch it on TV. Rooting against their rival. One wonders how, in 110 years, there can't be at least one fluke? A ball that bounces the right way. The one shining moment. Just one. Incompetence can outweigh odds if it is significant. Heck, didn’t the entire tournament only have eight teams at one time? Oh, that’s right, they had to win the conference to get in. The Tigggers have attained immortality, all right.

Has a school's fans ever held a higher opinion of themselves for no apparent reason? This school hired Quinn Snyder over coach Self. Ponder that for a moment. MU is kind of a “mousse in the hair” school. But we know why .. KU hire a North Carolina assistant, so MU must go to Duke for their savior. What MU doesn't get is that the North Carolina was a descendent from the KU coaching tree. Their previous excellent hire, Larry Smith. He didn’t have “an internet.” This school forced Norm Stewart to leave, for Quinn Snyder. And now their administration disdains the former coach. Heck, their biggest rival had the man to center court, honored his accomplishments (limited as they may have been), and treated him like royalty. And he accepted the rocking chair. MU kicked him to the curb. Has anyone ever referred to the Missouri coaching tree? More like a shrub, or weed. This school rests in a state with highways in shambles, major cities are mired in urban decay, meth labs a-plenty, one urban center that was the nation's most dangerous city, another with a school district that can't educate, and banjos that play relentlessly further south, for those seeking deliverance from the misery. Canoe trip anyone? In politics, they are a "swing" state. I will leave that one alone.

This school prides themselves on their civil war history in the border war .. as a slave state. They pride themselves on the fact that they tried to convince Kansans, by murder and mayhem, to leave ranks of free states and join the Confederacy. Now, Missouri returns to their slave state roots. Yet a year and half ago, MU was spouting about aligning academically with the Big 10, as that was their calling. AAU school or some baloney. With that not in the cards, rejected, MU whores itself out to the SEC and their fine academic institutions -- under the calling card of "We're doing what's best for MU." What Brady Deaton may or may not understand, is that is the exact logic that landed Missouri in the Confederacy in the first place. They have now come full circle. (cont)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

In an earlier post after the prior MU game, someone asked about wishes -- best I could come up with at the time: 1. I wish Missouri would fix their roads.
 2. I wish MU would change the name of Champions Drive to Mediocre Parkway.
3. I wish there was a reality pill .. something you could take to accept reality .. other than simply viewing the athletic reality of over a century, that gets ignored.
 4. I wish Mizzou arena would have installed black seats so I wasn't fixated on how empty the building is vs. anyone but KU.
 5. I wish St. Louis wasn't the murder capital of the United States.
 6. I wish Kansas City had a competent school district.
 7. I wish I knew why aligning academically with the Big 10 was so important in 2010, but aligning academically with SEC seemed so right in 2011.
 8. I wish I knew why a journalism school was so important in conversation with MU basketball fans.
 9. I wish I knew why defining one's season by beating a rival -- once -- is satisfactory.
 10. I wish I could actually enjoy March if my team wasn't in the tournament.
 11. I wish I could figure out how MU can name its arena, Paige arena, then Mizzou arena, when Norm Stewart Arena is available.
 12. I wish I could accept my school's greatest player being Doug Smith.
 13. I wish I could have enjoyed the company of a few MU fans when Chalmers' shot went in.
 14. I wish Missouri drivers knew that the inside lane on the highway is the passing lane, not the lane to park your beat up 1992 Ford Festiva going 48 miles per hour, while talking on their prepaid cell phone.
 15. I wish I could enjoy crackers with my ATVs.
 16. I wish I could figure out how someone shoots themselves in the foot.
 17. I wish Columbia wasn't a freaking crime ridden dump.
 18. I wish I could understand how a school hires Quin Snyder over Bill Self.
 19. I wish I could understand why the Gods clearly conspire against MU - fifth down, Edney, kicked TD, etc.
 20. And I really wish I could understand what it's like to support a basketball team that has never really achieved anything .. ever .. 110 some years. Hasn't won a Big 12 title. No final fours. Ever. I might be a bit more empathetic. But I can't. (cont)

mgbaseball 2 years, 1 month ago

anyone know of a free or paid site i can watch this on? i live oversees and dont get cbs

Seth Peattie 2 years, 1 month ago

time to take the trash out!!! later, clowns!!!

TIgers, MU, Antlers, "Zou Crew", meth labs, walnut bowls, dirt eating goobers, = SUCK IT!!!

Seth Peattie 2 years, 1 month ago

mizzou CAN ...

... SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agraves 2 years, 1 month ago

If I'm not mistaken...if we win today we clinch a share of the big12 regular season championship. Does that mean that the trophy will be in the house to present to us if we win? I know if the past they have had the celebration when the championship was clinched? Haven't heard anyone say anything about this but I think it would be awesom to beat the Tiggers today then get the big12 championship trophy/celebration all in the same day!

yates33333 2 years, 1 month ago

Blame the computer or LJW receiver. I didn't send this twice. I meant to send, "Over Kill, or is it?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Note to Jeff Withey:

You SUCK. You're ugly. You can't score, rebound OR block shots. Or shoot free throws.

If I were there, I'd (jump up and) punch you in your stupid face.

Now go out and obliterate those hillbilly communists ya big shmuck.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some Things MU May Need in the Paint to Survive Against KU"

• Kevlar cups the size of thimbles.

• Helmets capable of preventing small brain trauma.

• Military GPS with retreat maps.

• A Dartz Prombon Black Dragon SUV for escaping Allen Field House after the final buzzer. http://blog.caranddriver.com/dartz-prombron-black-dragon-debuts-for-12-lunatics-in-china/?redirect=no

(Note: All fiction, except the Dartz. No malice.)

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

KU-MU

USA vs. CSA

English colonialism vs. French colonialism

The Musketeers vs. Richelieu's men

Christians vs.Romans

The Garden of Eden vs. The Garden of Evil

Athens vs. Sparta

Lightness vs. Darkness

No, hell no, nothing is at stake here; this is just a basketball game.

The battle of good vs. evil recurs eternally and in the most unlikely places.

It rears in war and politics, religion and economics obviously.

But it is also waged in offices and factories,in shopping malls and on street corners, inside families and inside ourselves.

And sometimes it even plays out in a youth game descended from toad on a rock and played in two small towns grown to small cities travel guides and history books note only briefly.

It has played out in the KU-MU basketball games for around a century.

Good has prevailed about 170 times.

Evil about 90.

The battle of good vs. evil can play specific venues a long time, or a short time, but always, sooner, or later, it comes and goes, and rears anew elsewhere.

All that good men and women can do is support good and oppose evil, wherever and whenever it conflicts, and for as long as, or as short as, this battle rages.

The good men and women of Kansas, the good coaches and players of the University of a Kansas, and the good students and fans have done their duties in this persistent battle that has waged across this border played out in this child's game for a century.

They must do it one more time today.

And then in the words of the great spiritual, they too can say...

Free at last, free at last Thank god almighty Free at last.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to Thunderdome b@#ches. Two will enter. One will leave.

deberg81 2 years, 1 month ago

Something I haven't seen said yet is that if we lose tomorrow Frank haith is a lock for national coach of the year. Not that we need extra motivation, but that is yet another reason why we can't lose tomorrow.

thebruced 2 years, 1 month ago

Any other year, and I would scream "lose this game and get to the final four!" But, considering the circumstances: 1. Mizzou likely wins the conference if they win (their last year), 2. Mizzou wins in likely their last visit to the Phog, 3. KU's streak of Conference championships is almost certainly ended, 4. This team was never expected to get this far or the Elite 8, let alone the Final 4. If you win the Conference, you're getting a #1 seed (barring a huge setback). Losing in the Elite 8, as a 1 seed would be an amazing years for most programs. Those who argue Kansas is better than that, and more should be expected, such as a measuring stick that reaches the Final 4, I would respond to by saying, look at the question and the other reasons for my response....Quantrill be damned.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 1 month ago

Gosh, tough call. I'd say..... Neither!!!

What would you rather do, sit on a porcupine, or dive into a sleeping bag full of scorpions??

Go ahead, take your time.

Rock Chalk, Jayhakwks!!! Neuter the tiggers!!!!

trustyourSelf 2 years, 1 month ago

Question for the KU community: would you rather lose this game to missouri or lose in an elite 8 game of the tournament this year(supposing we get that far)?