Friday, February 24, 2012

Tyshawn Taylor expects ‘crazy’ game

Kansas University students K.J. Hadjis, Colorado Springs, Colorado junior, left, and Tyler Betz, Montrose, Colorado sophomore get wild during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The end is near for Kansas University senior guard Tyshawn Taylor, who has just two home games left to play in his college career.

Both figure to be major happenings — Saturday’s 3 p.m., clash against Missouri in what is being billed as the last game in history between the rivals in Allen Fieldhouse, and an 8 p.m., March 3, Senior Night contest against Texas.

“I think it’s definitely going to be the biggest in my four years,” Taylor said, asked if Saturday’s rematch of a 74-71 loss to the Tigers on Feb. 4 in Columbia, Mo., could be the biggest game since Allen Fieldhouse opened.

“Look at all the people we have out there (hundreds of student campers). This is the most campers we’ve had in a minute, so I think it’s gonna be crazy. I’ve been a part of probably three or four like really crazy games, and I think this is probably going to top all three or four of those,” Taylor added.

The Jayhawks are eager to make up for the game at Mizzou Arena in which KU squandered an eight-point lead late.

“We’re still kind of bitter about that,” Taylor said. “We kind of let that slip away, so we’re going to try to bounce back at home.”

KU coach Bill Self believes this has the potential to be the greatest game-day atmosphere in at least his nine seasons at KU. After all, a victory would assure KU a tie for its eighth-straight Big 12 title with two games left on the slate. What’s more, the country’s top high school prospect, Las Vegas’ Shabazz Muhammad, will be sitting behind the KU bench as part of his official recruiting visit.

“I haven’t been here that long, but this is my 10th year counting the year I was here with Larry Brown,” Self said of the 1985-86 season. “I don’t think there will be anything that compares to it. The only night I can think of that would be close to as energized would be the inaugural event, the opening of the building. I would think that would have been a special, special night when KU played K-State to open the building (March 1, 1955, when KU beat the Wildcats, 77-67).”

“You can barely hear yourself think when it’s like that,” Withey said. “It’s real exciting playing in an atmosphere like that. I know it’s going to be really intimidating for the other team.”

T-Rob says he’s sorry: KU junior forward Thomas Robinson apologized for his technical foul in Wednesday’s victory over Texas A&M on Twitter late Wednesday night.

He wrote: “Let my emotions get the best Of me tonight apologize to all my jayhawk fans and anybody who supports me or our program won’t happen again!”

Self said Thursday that he speaks with Robinson “all the time” about teams trying to frustrate him.

“We had a kid at Oklahoma State named Byron Houston that was a beast, but he was emotional. When you’d put a reserve or two reserves in to lay on him or something like that, he’d get frustrated. Thomas has really handled that, for the most part, really well,” Self said. “Last night, there was nothing that Texas A&M did that was even remotely worth getting frustrated over. You’ve just got to finish plays. That led to his frustration as much as anything.

“I think it happened (shoving A&M’s Ray Turner as they fought for a loose ball) strictly out of frustration because he hadn’t had a good game. I don’t think it had anything to do with the actual play. It was frustration for a lot of reasons, how they defended him and that kind of stuff. That is what disappoints me. I think kids can get emotional in a scuffle or a loose ball, that doesn’t bother me. You have to think for the team’s benefit, and you can’t push anybody, which was a bad play on his behalf and probably gave them the only chance they had to possibly win the game.”

Missing Mizzou?: Self was asked if he has personal feelings about playing Missouri for the last time.

“No,” he said. “I love playing Missouri. I loved playing them when I was at Illinois, and I’ve loved playing them since I’ve been here, but it’s not anything that I’m going to sit around and think about. I don’t feel that strongly at all about it.”

Jayhawks to attend: Plenty of former KU players will be in the house Saturday. They include: Eric Chenowith, Nick Collison, Matt Kleinmann, Raef LaFrentz, Christian Moody, Brady Morningstar, Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, Kevin Pritchard, Tyrel Reed, Bud Stallworth, Billy Thomas and Stephen Vinson.

Comments

Bob Forer 2 years, 1 month ago

"Las Vegas’ Shabazz Muhammad, will be sitting behind the KU bench as part of his official recruiting visit."

I love unfair recruiting advantages. There is no other school in American that comes close to offering the electric atmosphere that tomorrow's game promises.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

missouricat -

Since you're a betting guy, how about a little wager.

If your team wins, we'll petition to join the SEC so you can have the chance to continue the Border War and brag about the possibility of beating KU in future games.

If we win, how about you posting a comment here admitting that Mizz. will never, ever win a National Championship and will also never, ever win an SEC conference championship.

Steve Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

Taylor you are the man, I will miss you next year, thanks for all you have done and your growth over the years, it sure is fun to watch you ball. Get your oxygen and relax and enjoy this game, get your groove and smile on,

TRob go beast mode, but with no fouls.

Jeff they are quick, hold your feet and go vertical, block them into next week. Releford, just be you.

Elijah, they will double TRob so you will be open, do what you do, drain 50% of your treys and send those cats back to boonville....

ajacobs 2 years, 1 month ago

Jayhawk Nation, Let it Roar

Janet Olin 2 years, 1 month ago

Note to Thomas: be yourself and play your aggressive under-the-basket game. Forget looking at the scouts, in the mirror, in the POY polls; we want the inspired Thomas back. Note to Jeff: remember your 0 at Fizzou and make it right with aggressive rebounds/blocks--this game will define you in fans' minds. Note to Tyshawn: you have been average at best in the last 3 1/2 years, but terrific in Big 12 play this year; this will be your defining game in KU fan memory. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

lionhawkward 2 years, 1 month ago

Here is a great link to one fantastic JAYHAWK lets kick their rotten arses !!RCJH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnQaA...

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

dylans, don't give a second though to that guy who took you to task re Bill Self's tournament record, etc. He is one of the most contentious posters on this site. I enjoyed reading your research. Keep it comin'.

bradh 2 years, 1 month ago

The Star just had a Q&A session which was attended mostly by MU fans. I found it interesting. They really want to continue the series with KU, I see why they would want to continue, but for the life of me I can't figure out why we would want to continue it. They were worried about who would be their rivals and decided Arkansas was the most likely. They're not even in the same division as Arkansas, I can't believe that would be a major rivalry. They were beginning to worry about scheduling and hoping that all of the Big 12 wouldn't refuse to schedule them, especially for the non-revenue sports because the Big 12 teams were so much closer and it would cost so much more to go elsewhere. There was also some concern about recruiting. AtM is already experiencing trouble with scheduling and recruiting, I imagine it will only be worse for MU. It seems funny that they're just now thinking about those issues while they're still crowing that they were invited to the CSA (Confederate States of America) and we weren't. Looks to me like any money they gain will be eaten up with long road trips, that they'll have trouble with recruiting and scheduling, and won't really have any rivalries. You almost feel sorry for them, almost.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

BBQ some crows wing and striped cat snout to deliver in a beerflat to the antlers.

shelleysue 2 years, 1 month ago

Man I wish I was going to this game. It will be the one of the most amazing games EVER. Like the 2008 football win only better. Someone yell a few decibels for me too! Have fun - it will be the game of a lifetime. Rock Chalk Jayhawk. KU!!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

It will be 52 degrees by game time....steak for the KU fans, crow for the MU guests.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 1 month ago

I need some ideas on what to cook for tomorrows game. Any suggestions?

Pitthawk34 2 years, 1 month ago

After tomorrow Shabazz might sign right away of what he is about to experience. This is going to be nuts. KU 102 Mu 78

machinegun 2 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn--I have supported you all the way! You are a true warrior! Tomorrow it's time for war with Missouri basketball! Come out and salute the four corners of the home crowd because then they will know what they mean to you--that you are ready for anything Missouri has got--and that you will battle to the end--come what may!

Seth Peattie 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice work, Jack!!!

Once we begin the New Year, I’m ready to say adios to football for obvious reasons. Chiefs have seldom made the playoffs in the last decade and after New Year’s Day, I’ve pretty much had my fill of the bowl games.So here we go with college hoops for the next three months or so until baseball season arrives.

Alright, I’ve got a beef with the league's coaches, writers and broadcasters. They need to be called out for screwing up the pre-season polls. They whiffed on this one, big time. Every year, the so-called experts close their eyes and automatically anoint Kansas as conference champions.

The Jayhawks have won it seven years in a row. Not so fast this time. KU will be lucky to finish in the top 5. There is no way the Jayhawks repeat this season. Thomas Robinson is terrific but he’s a one-man band. And I don't know about you, but I’m already getting tired of listening to the Beakers whine about this being an off year, losing the Morris twins and losing Selby and on and on and on.

Come on. They've got eight lettermen returning and start four juniors and a senior. Here's the problem. Bill Self had a disastrous year on the recruiting trail. They have no bench and have a big problem protecting the basketball. KU fans need to get a grip and realize it’s not a birthright to finish No. 1 every year.

Be aware, this Missouri team is really good.

There's all this stuff out there that the Tigers haven't played anyone. For the record, Missouri’s RPI, according to the NCAA, is 10 spots better than KU's. Look, let’s be honest.

Jayhawk fans deep down, are worried that Missouri is indeed headed out the door to the SEC with that nice shiny Big 12 trophy. Yep, it’s the one that has been on display in the House of Phog for the last seven years.

This will be the Tigers final parting shot to all their enemies at Mount Oread.

That’s Jack’s Smack.

missouricat 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, one more day and the battle between the two top teams. Should be a good game. Beings Missouri beat KU in football and one basketball game this year it just could be KU's turn to win one. Guess a little money on this one might be in need. The $800 from the last one came in handy. Looks like this will be the last time KU trys to win one from MU, unless Self changes his ways as we are headed to the SEC which will be a great move for MU. More money and better talent there then in the big 12. Texas T&M and MU looks to improve in many ways then what the big 12 could offer. It sure is causing a lot of stress on the big 12 as far as what the future will bring and could cause the whole conference to fold up and leave many schools out looking for a home. Texas, Oklahoma ST., Kansas ST., Baylor, West Virginia, and Oklahoma will not have a problem with their total package of sports programs. Have a good day tomorrow guys.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

For all the Self haters I'll repost: The only constant in winning 8 straight big 12 championships is Self and his staff.

Duke lost in the first round to VCU in 2007, Providence in 1997 and Eastern Michigan in 1996.

North Carolina lost to George Mason in 2006 Weber State in 1999 and didn't even make the tourney in 2002-2004

Kentucky lost to UAB in 2004 and didn't make the tournament in 2009.

Florida lost to Butler 2011, BYU in 2010, Manhattan in 2004, and Creighton in 2002.

Ohio State lost to Siena in 2009 and Utah State in 2001.

I guess all of these coaches aren't up to snuff either. Who hasn't lost to a mid-major at some point? The mid-majors most likely are conference champions if they make the tournament. They typically are very disciplined teams that don't have a lot of upside, but play at a consistently high level.

With freak athletes you have huge games and poor games. Typically someone as talented as players for KU, UK etc. have been able to get by on talent and fundamentals are not stressed in high school. When a college coach has only 1-2 years to get the uber stud fundamentally sound it won't happen. That's why you see flame outs.

Give me conference championships every year and a possibility of a deep tournament run and I'll be very happy. It's far better than what Roy gave us fans.

IA4jayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Reading about the 1996-1997 team's win against Mizzou in the conference tournament gave me an absolutely sick feeling in my stomach. It still hurts to think about them losing in the tournament to Arizona. Hands down that was the best team in the country that year. I'm biased (and young), but I think it was one of the greatest college teams in the past 30 years. They just happened to run into an Arizona team that was ridiculously hot (beat 3 #1 seeds during their run). That's the beauty and drawback of the NCAA tournament. We have taken a lot of heat (some of it justified) for losing to mid majors in the past 10 seasons, but those teams know they have nothing to lose in facing Goliath. I'm hopeful that our men can make a run this year, but once March hits, nothing surprises me anymore. I couldn't post this on the KU-MU border wars breakdown, but I had to get it out somewhere.

William Blake 2 years, 1 month ago

We are all aware of the spirits in the Phog, who hold the best seats in the rafters of AFH. Not all of the spirits are former basketball greats. So when you attend the game tomorrow listen astutely for the spirit voices before the fan cheers take over:

General Thomas Ewing, Jr.: "I've been told the last of Quantrill's Raiders have been pinned into the field house near Mount Oread... around 15 men and their leader who is called 'Hate.' I give you the authority to go take care of this."

Charles "Doc" Jennison: "I've got a match... consider it done!"

KU 84

MU 52

The remaining flock of Raider supporters were seen fleeing to the SEC... cowardly escaping further basketball persecution.

rmshawk67 2 years, 1 month ago

He might not even be Missouri fan, just anti KU. Rock Chalk

WilburNether 2 years, 1 month ago

Bad comparison, coach -- Robinson and Byron Houston.

Houston was a dirty player, probably the dirtiest in the Big 8 in his day -- until Sutherland and Grimm at Fizzou. Jason Sutherland was probably the dirtiest of all time.

Phoghorn 2 years, 1 month ago

I am predicting a KU win, but let us not get too complacent. Mizzou is good this year, whether we like it or not. Better hope the team is as fired up as the fans!

KU 72, MU 67

thjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd love for coach Self to throw a little wrinkle into the game at some strategic point and go with a four guard lineup (Tharpe) along with TRob. Perhaps when Moore is in the game?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

The Phog Advantage

1] I think you can count on a new noise level record because even the "sit on their hands" old alumni hate Missouri and will be, for a brief two or three hours, Kansas students again and will give Missouri non-stop Hell!!!

2] No matter how hard they prepare, opponents get swallowed up by the atmosphere.

3] The refs are human .....no way that, at some subconcious level, it doesn't influence their calls.

4] It's like a sixth man on the court for the Hawks.

5] The spirits of Wilt, Coach Allen, Dr. Naismith and Coach Don Fambrough will be stalking the sidelines.

6] Missouri...just look up and look at the banners and look to the south end and see the names...this is our house and you don't belong.

7] Although they will deny it, many Tigers are conceding this one and looking toward a rubber game in the tourney.

8] Every Jayhawk who ever played for Kanasa in any sport and every student who ever attended Kansas wants this game....We... will....not....be....denied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chalked 2 years, 1 month ago

Realistic final score of the game. KU wins 84-70. RCJH BIg 12 champs again!

Hank Cross 2 years, 1 month ago

KU/Mizery is like UNC/Duke - if Duke had never won anything.

Sally Presson 2 years, 1 month ago

Can't wait to stomp Mizzou!!! And to think I'm going to get to be there and Senior night!! How lucky I am. Senior night is so sad and we're all going to be weepy to see Tyshawn go. You've given us 4 years of your life and we're so thankful to have had you in the jayhawk family. A BIG THANK YOU!!!

thjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Welcome Shabazz. An all Las Vegas backcourt would be special next year. I wish I could be there but will have to settle for watching CBS here in E. Tennessee......On another note, living here and having acces to all the SEC media outlets, lot of folks understand the addition of A&M but just scratch and shake their heads about Miswho. For the first time in 14 years I will be attending some games in Knoxville rooting on the Vols (ouch) vs the traitors (wearing KU gear, of course).

Choctaw 2 years, 1 month ago

While it has always been fun to play against and beat MU I have to admit I will not miss the low class action of some of their fans. It reached a new low when ESPN Game Day was there for our last game. The Antlers are a group of students/fans that have made a science out of harassing the other teams. One of their stunts has been to find out the other team's players and coaches phone numbers and call them non stop before the game. One of these slime balls held up a sign on national tv that had Bill Self's Mom's phone number. Talk about off limits! And you wonder why HCBS is not upset about not playing these guys anymore.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

As late morning Saturday approaches, I plan to take position in my gamewinning recliner, stuff cotton in my ears, and pray that, by 2:55 pm, the LCD screen doesn't shatter! Rock Chalk!

rockchalkxii 2 years, 1 month ago

I can't wait for this game. It's the biggest regular season game that I can remember. Wish I could go.

Rock Chalk !!!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

Speaking of the former players Has there been any information about a DVD from the Legends game being marketed? If ever there was a "slam dunk" (pun intended) hot selling product, that would be a quick infusion to some fund or worthy cause to sponsor it.

IrishCharlie 2 years, 1 month ago

T-Rob - have you apologized to the gentleman that you mugged?

Has the Kansas National Guard been put on alert for possible post game angry mobs?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

How about a halftime scrimmage with that impressive list of former players?( Pritchard and Stallworth may need to be coaches, though!)

Dan Harris 2 years, 1 month ago

Just in time foe the weekend!!

THE TOP METH PRODUCING STATES OF 2011 (GUESS WHO’S #1?)

Posted on February 23, 2012

The DEA just released their data on the top METH-PRODUCING STATES of 2011. You know where this is going, right? The rankings are based on meth lab seizures for the year. And……..#1 on the list……with a total of 2,096 meth labs busted in 2011 . . . that’s an average of 5.74 meth labs PER DAY is……..(drum roll please) MISSOURI!

DON’T METH WITH MISSOURI!

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

can't wait to destroy them.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

My prediction before tip off when they show the noise meter that shows how loud it is in the field house, will hit 120. The loudest I have ever witnessed the noise meter hitting is around 112. Can't wait. I hope the noise in Allen Field House continues the whole game. Looking forward attending the last game between MU and KU. I think it will be a long time before each school ever plays each other again on there campus courts.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I just visited the college BB page for CBSsports.com where they have the public poll for POY. It appears you can vote more than once, since I voted yesterday, and again this morning. I think both votes counted. At least it didn't inform me that I had already voted.

TRob was still in second, behind Davis by 12% (about 6150 total votes cast).

p>CBS.com also has a separate writeup which lists each of the top player's stats for the entire season. Makes for a quick and concise analysis for comparing everyone to everyone else.

TXChalker 2 years, 1 month ago

I hope that all the former players being there will be an incentive for our current players to make their stamp in our storied tradition with a big game and a win.

Beat Mizzery and win the Big 12. That's all that matters at this time in the season. Only good things can come after that!!

Rock Chalk

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Since Mizzery is known as the show me state, let's "Show No Mercy to Mizzery"!!!!

RCJHGKU!!! (All caps)

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 1 month ago

Is Kieff going to fly in on Saturday morning after the Rising Stars game Friday night??

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn Taylor is one of the best guards we ever had, so many teams had more depth, more scoring, but this guy is awesome, when they need a basket he just goes and gets it. Amazing. Can't wait to see you in the NBA!

SoCalAlum 2 years, 1 month ago

"KU junior Jeff Withey realizes the roar before the opening tip could raise the roof." Well, yes - I was at the TxTech game last week (sitting in section G) and brought a sound-level meter with me. Here's what I measured: ambient noise ~ 93 dB SPL (A scale); Coach Self appears for first time = 103 dB SPL; most players at introduction ~ 103-104 dB SPL; Thomas at introduction = 107 dB SPL; after showing highlight video (start of second half): 114 dB SPL. That, folks, is a lot of energy. Saturday should surpass it.

Nathan Scholl 2 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Crush Missery!! Put the throttle down Jayhawks and keep it down to the end this time!!! Would love to see a huge game from T-Rob!