Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bill Self hypes KU-MU

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 66-58 victory over Texas A&M on Feb. 22, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Texas A&M

Box score

— Let the hype for Saturday’s Kansas-Missouri game begin.

“That’s a pretty good statement. That building has been there a long time.”

The Jayhawks, who will enter 13-2 in Big 12 play, will be able to assure a tie for an eighth-straight conference title with a win over MU (12-3), a squad that beat KU, 74-71, on Feb. 4 in Columbia, Mo.

“No, probably not,” Self said, asked if it was the biggest home game in his tenure at KU. “We’ve had other games where we had to win that game to win the league. In fans’ minds and our players’ minds since they beat us the first time when we felt we had them down the stretch, I believe it’s probably in everybody else’s minds, maybe other than the coaches’, the biggest game we’ve had.”

Self has received plenty of phone calls about scoring tickets.

“It’s definitely a tough ticket,” he said. “From this point forward, nobody needs to call. They’re not gonna get any.”

Of the game, senior guard Tyshawn Taylor said: “I’ve been waiting for Saturday to come since they got us the last time. We’ve got to take care of business at home.”

KU, A&M in same tourney: Texas A&M, which is leaving for the SEC next season, might play KU in hoops in 2012-13 after all.

The Aggies will play in the CBE Classic in Kansas City, Mo., next November, with KU, St. Louis and Washington State. No first-round match-ups have yet been announced.

Recruiting: Semi Ojeleye, a 6-foot-6 junior forward from Ottawa High, will attend Saturday’s KU-Missouri game on an unofficial visit. Ojeleye, who is Rivals.com’s No. 46-rated player in the Class of 2013, has received scholarship offers from Kansas State, Marquette, Missouri, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oklahoma State and UCLA.

JaKarr Sampson, a 6-8 senior from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, tells Rivals.com he will visit Florida and Providence at some point following this weekend’s official visit to KU.

More on T-Rob: Thomas Robinson was asked by ESPN.com’s Dana O’Neil what he will do when he makes it in the NBA: “Wow, that’s a tough question, ... I don’t know. I guess, I’d take my little sister out to dinner and then probably renew the stone on my mother’s grave, get her a nicer one.”

Finally a loss: Future KU player Perry Ellis’ Wichita Heights team had its state-record 62-game winning streak snapped Tuesday night. Wichita East celebrated its Senior Night by defeating Heights, 57-51.

Ellis, a 6-8 senior forward, scored 30 points and grabbed 13 rebounds. He went 12-for-12 from the line.

“It never feels good to lose. But it’s basketball, it happens,” Ellis told the Wichita Eagle. Heights has won three straight state titles.

Taylor on junior Thomas Robinson’s play against A&M: “(He was) just a little frustrated. It was a frustrating game for him. He was not getting the looks he wanted. He got frustrated.”

Taylor on KU’s seeing a 21-point lead dip to four late: “I could say we got a big lead and got lazy (but) we’ve jsut got to take care of the ball. Under 10 in the shot clock, we were a bad defensive team.”

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 10 months ago

At this point it seems like Allen will be filled with celebrities this Saturday. Lucky people.

litlmikeyb 2 years, 10 months ago

I certainly hope not. We don't need the wine and cheese crowd to show up for this one.

We need the students to go crazy in this game and keep up the energy throughout the game. Not saying that we must have the crowd to win, but it will definitely help.

imzcount 2 years, 10 months ago

I like wine and cheese........and beer and scotch and rum and tequila

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years, 10 months ago

Myself and 5 others are making the trip back for our first game in over a decade for this one! No wine and cheese, but some good ol Free State, Quintons, a stop at the Wheel and we're gonna get rowdy!

Rock Chalk!

akl6593 2 years, 10 months ago

That is great of you to come back and support the team...I hope you all have a great weekend!

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey NYC, As long as you're at Free State, can you do a check on those monster onion rings in beer batter and fried in peanut oil? With a Cyclist?

Man, those are the best rings ANYWHERE as far as I'm concerned...

Rock Chalk!!!

reber5000 2 years, 10 months ago

You should go to Johnny's West instead..

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree. Sad thing is, I have a ticket and had to give it away because I'm on vacation and can't get back in time. I hope it sets a record for loudness.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Students have been camped out since Sunday. It won't be a problem. Who ever is there it will be wild.

Brandon Blaylock 2 years, 10 months ago

got my tickets in NOV. going with my 60 yr old pops but that crazy dude will be going nuts, like me.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Since it appears Ojeleye hasn't been offered a scholarship by KU, who is picking up the tab for his (obviously) free ticket to the game? Is Mizzery giving him one of their freebies that each team receives to the game? Just curious.

Also, was that Wichita Heights first loss while Ellis has been playing for them? Sounds like Perry is a solid freethrow shooter. What's his season percentage from the line?

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I've watched Baldwin play ottawa twice this year. Ojeleye has a pretty 3 but is a lazy player on defensive and doesn't like to bang it up inside. He wouldn't fit Bill's system very well. Ellis has a career 80% free throw pct up to this point,79 this year.

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

Self has a way of making players tough. If the kid is smart he'll take advantage of that fact and play at KU.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Frank Haith saw Semi score 50 a couple weeks ago. Semi would fit right in at KU and he is a highly intelligent student athlete. Semi rarely misses a free throw and some regard Semi as the best high school player in the state of Kansas.

Jason Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

It was not Ellis's first loss while playing for Heights. I think they lost a handful of times his freshman year and once or twice early in his sophomore year.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Mahalo for the updated information, guys/gals.

ccarp 2 years, 10 months ago

Not being grammar police, but wanted to mention "just" is misspelled in Taylor's quote on the late lead dip.

lifetimeJay 2 years, 10 months ago

Misspelling a word has nothing to do with grammar. How's it taste?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

Sounds more like HCBS was "down-hyping" this game with comments like "..No, probably not,” Self said, asked if it was the biggest home game in his tenure at KU. We’ve had other games where we had to win that game to win the league."

“I think it will be as good as it’s ever been in the history of the building,” Self said of the atmosphere for the 3 p.m. tipoff in Allen Fieldhouse." This also sound like "anti-hype"

Hyping would sound like, "This will be the best matchup" or "Of all the games ever played in KU history, this is one to watch." or "Wait until we teach these guys a lesson"

Coaches rarely will make statements that truly hype particular games. That's more the journalists and fans nature. Even players are coached not to hype games in their public comments.

"..

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

My conditions for keeping the rivalry going with missouri:

1] All games of all sports will be played exclusively in Lawrence, Kansas.

2] All trip expense money for any missouri sports team [gas, food, lodging, etc.] must be spent in the state of Kansas.

3] All proceeds from ticket sales, concessions, programs, souvenirs, etc. goes to KU.

4] missouri uniforms will have the following changes - A] missouri will be spelled missoura, B] a broad, golden streak will run vertically down the back of all uniforms C] lettering on the front jerseys will read, " SEC...the north won, you lost....deal with it."

5] The missouri Golden Girls will be renamed The Bleached Blonde Bimbos of Boone County.

6] All Antlers will be required to wear ballerina tutus to any game they attend.

7] The missouri school flag will be changed to the Walmart Logo.

8] The Mascot, Truman the Tiger, will be replaced with Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

9] The marching mizzou band will be renamed the Cowardly Quantrills.

These conditions seem fair and are not negotiable. :)

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

+100

Especially #3. Since Mizzery left for the SEC for monetary gain, they shouldn't gain a cent from playing against KU. EVER!!!

2, a close second.

And personally, I'd enjoy seeing #6. Anything to humiliate those bozos.

ClydeTurnbuckle 2 years, 10 months ago

Who was that guy behind behind KU's bench? He was wearing a blue polo and I swear he is former player, maybe even from the Roy era. He kind of looked like Michael Lee, but wasn't. This is driving me crazy.

A little help?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. He looked a litle older than Michael Lee, to me. Plus, isn't Lee an Asst. Coach somewhere in D1?

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

Last I heard Lee was at University of San Francisco working for Rex Walters

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Ellis went 12-12 from the line? I LOVE to hear that!

Jeff Hargate 2 years, 10 months ago

I have read a couple articles talking about Shabazz Muhammed coming to the game. This has not been reported anywhere else, but I was wondering if anyone had heard this.

lee3022 2 years, 10 months ago

Self will have the team ready to play early on Saturday. This is where he wins Big XII coach of the year. This is a guarantee of their 8th consecutive Big XII championship. It is MU that loses. It does not get better than this for this game to be the final home game against them and the game which drops them out of the top ten nationally and to a two or three seed. Can KU lose? Yes, but not likely.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Much as all of the Jayhawk nation would enjoy seeing MU drop from the top ten, I doubt that it would happen. Maybe 7th or 8th in the polls. Losing to a solid KU team in Lawrence isn't a bad loss. However, the KSU loss, at home, will definitely drop them a couple spaces. All the more reason KU must hold court.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Mizzou won't drop out of the Top 10. Duke lost 2 home games and didn't drop out of the Top 10.

rockchalkxii 2 years, 10 months ago

I've seen Ojeleye twice this year. He has an excellent shot. Can score anywhere on the court with a hand right in his face. Problem is, he doesn't pass. Doesn't rebound. Average defender. I dont think he fits at KU.

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

Again, all weaknesses Bill Self can fix. I've seen a lot of high D1 high school players play over the years, and I believe the description you provide on Ojeleye could be used just about universally. (I've seen Perry Ellis in person and he is an exception, as was Danny Manning and Wayne Simeon.) Kareem Rush was as soft as they come, and he turned out pretty good for MU. These kids tend to be so much better than their high school competition, they can coast and still post 20+ a game.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Jakarr Sampson is an amazing player. I live in NH and I've had the opportunity to see several of Brewster Academy's games this season. This kid has the full package...nearly a complete player with lots of great skill sets.

He's a 6'8" G/F who has very good ball handling skills and a quick first step for a guy of his size. Excellent at finishing around the rim, rebounding, and shooting mid range jumpers. Not sure what his averages are, but he's usually leading Brewster in points and rebounds and has to average close to a double double every game. This is significant considering Brewster is 29-0 and is ranked #1 in High School this year. The prep league here in New England is very competitive...guys like Nerlins Noel, Mitch McGeary, etc playing in this area. Sampson kind of reminds me of another guy we have at KU who came through Brewster.

Needs work on his perimeter shot and free throw shooting. He's also on the skinny side at 210, but after being Manning and Hudyized, he would be an amazing player most certainly bound for the NBA.

Question is where does he fit? Personally, after watching him a few times, I think he would be an outstanding addition to our team. Just my $0.02.

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

"Question is where does he fit?"

Good question. When you say he's a G/F...are you saying he's a 2/3? If that's the case, should he come in someone would need to redshirt. We have a plethora of guys in that mold now - Releford, White, BMac. So it would come down to either White or Sampson redshirting, and I wonder if he'd be willing to do that, particularly after having to reclassify to this year and put his college hoops dreams on hold for a year all ready.

At 6'8" if he's a potential post player, a hybrid 3/4, he faces a similar dilemma. Perry Ellis is already in that mold and, as stated above, there are already other options at the 3. At the 4 he'd still be fighting for time against Ellis, along with Traylor, Peters, Lucas, Wesley, & Young. He'd need to beat out 4 or 5 of those guys to have a realistic shot at seeing major minutes.

Sounds like a good player. Just looks like stiff competition for playing time again next year so should he come I hope he understands the situation.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

ict -

You summed up his dilemma perfectly in terms of "where does he fit." Hard to tell where Self would have him play as the 2-4 spots are crowded on next year's roster. I don't know much about White and his potential to redshirt, but I doubt Jakarr would want to redshirt considering he's already delayed going to college after decommiting from St. John's last year (for academic reasons I believe) and is currently a post grad at Brewster.

Somehow though, Self always seems to get and convince guys like Sampson to develop a bit in his system before seeing any major minutes (like Cole, TRob, Withey, Releford, EJ, etc....). I agree with you that this would be key for him to understand in order for him to commit to KU. TRob and Nadir are both from Brewster as well so that could help with his decision making. Developing him for a year would probably serve him better in the long run anyway after Manning and Hudy worked with him.

However, Sampson is long, very athletic, is a great rebounder, and has a defensive presence both on the perimeter and in the paint so that could be to his advantage for seeing minutes right away since Self demands defense 1st...even if his minutes are off the bench. Self has shown in the past he likes to rotate 3 or even 4 bigs at a time.

Either way, I hope we land this kid. Would be a solid addition no question. Kid has a very high ceiling that has not been reached yet. Imagine what Manning and Hudy could do for his development!