Kansas defeats Texas A&M, 66-58

• 8 p.m., Feb. 22, 2012
  • Reed Arena, College Station, TX

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Awfully close: Kansas barely holds on

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson drives by Texas A&M forward David Loubeau after stealing the ball during the first half of the Jayhawks' game against the Aggies on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012, in College Station, TX.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 66-58 victory over Texas A&M; on Feb. 22, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Texas A&M

Box score

— Kansas University’s basketball team put itself in position to claim at least a tie for its eighth-straight Big 12 championship Saturday at home against Missouri.

So why wasn’t ninth-year coach Bill Self smiling after Wednesday’s 66-58 victory over Texas A&M; in Reed Arena?

Let him disclose the many reasons:

“We played awful down the stretch. Basically, to put them in position to win that game is beyond belief,” Self said after a game-high lead of 21 points (47-26 with 13:30 to play) dipped to four points with 2:08 left (57-53), with 1:30 left (60-56) and with :40.2 left (62-58).

“We were making basketball plays experienced guys should never make. When you make plays you know nobody wants you to make and it doesn’t bother you, that’s a bad sign for a basketball team. It didn’t seem it bothered us much tonight. Bad shots shouldn’t lead to bad attitudes,” Self grumbled.

Self was dismayed with the performance of national Player of the Year candidate Thomas Robinson, who scored 10 points off 3-of-10 shooting with 13 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Robinson picked up a technical foul for shoving A&M;’s Ray Turner with 40.2 seconds left with KU up, 62-56. It happened to be Robinson’s fifth foul, meaning he was headed to the bench leaving his teammates trying to hold on without his presence.

“Inexcusable,” Self said of Robinson’s technical foul. “As bad a play as I’ve seen.”

Turner hit two free throws to cut the gap to 62-58.

“He was never engaged in the whole game,” Self said of Robinson. “It was not totally a surprise (he was whistled for the technical).”

Why was the big man so frustrated?

“They did a good job pushing him out. It was physical in the post. He was never engaged in the game,” Self said.

KU junior guard Elijah Johnson, who scored 18 points the first half in helping KU build a 31-21 lead and finished with 21, bricked two free throws at :39.1, keeping KU’s lead at a narrow four points.

Jeff Withey (11 points, seven boards in 28 minutes) rebounded a Zach Kinsley miss of a three and was fouled at :27.2. His two free throws gave KU a 64-58 lead, finally helping steady the ship. After an Elston Turner miss, Withey again was fouled and concluded the scoring with two more free throws at :12.

“Obviously, we didn’t make free throws except for Jeff. He made two big ones,” Self said.

Another big bucket came from senior guard Tyshawn Taylor, who hit a driving layup and foul shot at 1:57, boosting the 57-53 lead to seven points. It was KU’s first basket in a long seven-minute stretch. It came early in the shot clock on a set play.

“He can get in the paint and get his own shot. He needs to start getting shots for his teammates,” Self said of Taylor, who had 12 points and four assists against two turnovers.

“He is as good as anybody in the country getting his shoulders past people. We ran a fake ball screen, told him to turn the corner. He turned the corner. That was a big play. They’d gotten it to four, and we were able to get it to five, six. The pressure was on, but not like it would have been if they got another stop and basket.”

Self was miffed Taylor picked up his fourth foul with 7:56 left.

“How do you reach when you have three (fouls) and you know how valuable you are to our team? That was a bad play. He made a couple big plays when he got back in,” Self said of Taylor.

Self was puzzled by the meltdown at the end.

He said the squad sensed an opportunity Tuesday when Missouri lost to Kansas State, giving KU (23-5 overall, 13-2 Big 12) a half-game lead over Mizzou in the standings entering the A&M; game. KU needed to beat A&M; to give the Jayhawks a full-game lead and chance of clinching at least a tie with a win Saturday.

“The way I tried to sell it (A&M; game) to our guys was, we caught a break,” Self said. “Not that often in sports or life you get one handed to you, but you have to make sure you take advantage of a break. When we play well, our energy is great, and we are unselfish. I thought our thoughts were not unselfish tonight.”

A&M;, which was led by Khris Middleton’s 23 points, fell to 13-14 overall and 4-11 in the league.

“If you’d tell me before the game we’d win by eight, I’d be ecstatic,” Self said, “but we were up by 21 with 10 left. It’s a win. We leave happy we won, but I’m not leaving here feeling great. I don’t think anybody in our locker room is.”

Comments

BainDread 5 years ago

Gary, the two points by Withey at about 0:12 were off a dunk, not free throws.

gardenjay 5 years ago

HawksWin 5 years ago

T-Rob Tweet #2209345 - Wed Feb 22 2012 11:40 PM thomas robinson @Trobinson0 Let my emotions get the best Of me tonight apologize to all my jayhawk fans and anybody who supports me or our program won't happen again!

april28 5 years ago

That's leadership big man. Now, go out and destroy the grey and gold on Saturday.

Displayhawk 5 years ago

Why was T-Rob even in the game at that point??? Jeff Withey is our best free throw shooter, and he was sitting on the bench. And when they did put Withey in, why are we throwing it in to Elijah instead of Withey??? Withey is a twenty percent better freethrow shooter, and we throw it in to Elijah. We were stupid from the top on down last night, and very lucky to get the win. If they pull this "stuff" in the tournament, they are going home early!

Jayhawk444 5 years ago

I thought the exact same thing...had to keep reminding myself I'm not the one being paid $3M to coach the team.

JayHawkJay82 5 years ago

I figure it's because giving the ball to Withey on the wrong side of the court, where he can't dribble and will be triple-teamed, will just as likely get the ball stolen as it would result in a foul.

I think the same thing applies to Teahan. Our two best free throw shooters are two of our least equipped to make it out of a press with the ball.

Andy Tweedy 5 years ago

Of course that is the reason. But if we keep that simple fact in mind, our coaches in waiting won't have anything to complain about!

selfishhawk 5 years ago

Apology accepted. But I hope whatever is that is bothering you right now, Mr. Robinson, that it gets cleared soon. You haven't been yourself lately and I fear that it may be costing you draft money. I want you to go No. 1. Your performance early in the season convinced me it was possible. But the last few games you have been disengaged or tired or both. Get well soon; for your sake, not ours.

dylans 5 years ago

Top 14 yes top 3 not likely. Number 1 no way Davis has that locked up based on potential alone. The draft is mostly speculation on future performance.

Chris Bruning 5 years ago

I missed the technical on TRob, was it a nasty technical?

BainDread 5 years ago

His foul was not. The consequences could have been.

baldwinjhawk 5 years ago

It was stupid! He threw an elbow while he was on the floor.... It was also at the feet of the official.

eastcoasthawk 5 years ago

The elbow didn't hit anything, it was the shove of the thug Turner above him that got the T. Turner was also the guy that shoved Tyshawn into TRob that laid them both out in the first half.

Tim Orel 5 years ago

I saw that as well. The Aggie got him, and was able to get the technical foul and Robinson out of the game. Had that been in the Tourney, I'd hope that Robinson would go to Self and Self would get the refs to go to the tape. There, while it was a close game, it wasn't like a one and done like the tourney.

dylans 5 years ago

Yeah, but at the time Robinson was actually getting hit by his own teammate and retaliated against Turner. He thought it was Turner and after a frustrating night he let his emotions show.

Joe Baker 5 years ago

No excuse for TRob's technical, but people never see what provokes a technical. It taught TRob the refs are constantly watching him. I think it should've been a warning. The refs had to call something at that point in the game. I don't think it was a clear elbow. I think he had enough of their petty fouls and simply pulled his arm away. The refs interpreted it as an "elbow."

A win is a win and this is a teachable game. I saw many lessons to learn.

Cameron Cederlind 5 years ago

I think it was in the second half but it was after Teahan blocked the 3 pointer and then caught the ball close to the out of bounds, right after he threw it out he was shoved out of bounds in to the cheerleaders, if anyone else saw that blatant foul.

Note2Self 5 years ago

Is it just me or has Robinson been a bit of a drama queen lately. Slow to get up/acting hurt, getting technicals, slowly walking over dudes that are knocked down in the lane (K-State technical on Gipson could have gone either way) and almost getting a technical. He needs to start playing like the Player of the Year Candidate he is, and not like a jerk.

Brak 5 years ago

Its not like he is a young kid dealing with a lot of pressure on his shoulders....oh wait.

HawksWin 5 years ago

Jhok, Don't know about you, but I'd be bumming on one year anniversary of my mom's death. What are you, made of stone?!! Let him grieve! Time heals all wounds, but his wounds are still so very fresh. He's not a machine, but has a heart and misses his mom, grandma, grandpa! He's alone in this world besides his sister. Do you know what you'd feel if you lost all of your immediate family members? So give the kid a break.

Justin Kruse 5 years ago

No, I'm not made of stone, and, no, I can't imagine the pain the kid has been through this past year; no one should ever have to experience that and he's been outstanding handleing it. However, I don't think that's an excuse for getting a T, throwing elbows, etc. I don't know, but I wouldn't think that his personal tragedies are in his mind, consciously or subconsciously, during those lapses of judgement so I don't think you can justify it w/ that (I'm sure he wouldn't either). I love T-Rob and think he's an amazing player; just want him to let his skills do the talking.

jenneking 5 years ago

100% agree. He's stepped over people multiple times this year, could have easily been the one getting the T at Manhattan. In the OSU game after a big play, I thought he was close to getting a T there for showing up the OSU player.

Look, I'm sure I'd be ticked if I was basically getting fouled every trip down the floor. He has people pushing on his body and moving him. Sure their hands are in the air, but they are pushing him hard.

I think this is just as much on Coach Self. He needs to rip into the Refs to give T-Rob a chance. Or, he needs to move him to the top of the key and clear out. There's very few big guys that T-Rob can't drive by, and they don't double him there. Is that best solution, don't know, but letting him get pushed around is not a good solution either.

I love T-Rob, and I know he's better than the way he's been acting of late.

Nick Cole 5 years ago

Maybe he should start flopping more when dudes shove the shiza out of him. He'll probably get some of the calls and it will make other teams hesitant to push him around b/c they will know he might fall down and the refs will call a foul. He needs to take some acting lessons from Kim English and Steve Moore. Arms flailing, falling down, dumbfounded look on your face, etc.

Alex Berger 5 years ago

That dumbfounded look is just the way his face is.

Joe Baker 5 years ago

Come on...fair points but walk in his shoes for one day and game to see how you respond. I think he's doing outstanding. it goes both ways for both teams. I've seen POY players react negatively too. We're not perfect and he learned a great lesson.

Brandon Blaylock 5 years ago

agree with everything but the "acting hurt". they kid plays his butt off, not going to blame him for taking it slow to get up of the ground when he (250 lbs +) gets knocked down. just needs to play when it comes to the other stuff.

knighthawk 5 years ago

I agree 100%. He has been doing exactly what you say for quite some time. He has gotten away with some questionable actions. However, he does get double teamed and triple teamed a lot so it is hard to say how much excess shoving and pushing he tolerates that we don't see. I think it just builds up until he finally retaliates. I also wonder how much pressure he puts on himself for the team and when he feels he isn't doing enough it just adds to his frustration. He's just so young and been through so much he deserves more tolerance which I feel all of the KU fans and players are more than happy to give him. I know where we would be without him. Thanks

Sam Brockert 5 years ago

Everyone gets frustrated and loses their cool every once in a while. As for the walking over people, at the K-State game he landed over him, what was he suppose to do? float over him gently? I didn't see ANYTHING at the kstate game that I would say ahould be a technical on robinson. He paused over gibson because he was frustrated he got another charge called on him. It wouldn't have even been a tech on gibson if he had kept his mouth shut...

addlime 5 years ago

Totally agree. I'm sure part of it is frustration with the constant shoving, double teams, and triple teams. But part of it has to be all the attention for POY. I think he may have lost it last night. He should have had 10 assists with all the triple teams he saw. Instead he missed a bunch of fade away baseline jumpers. He needs to get back to what made him great. HUMILITY! We all know he has the ability to overcome adversity.

akl6593 5 years ago

Maybe he was hurt...just an idea but maybe those falls to the floor with people under you or falling on you do hurt. Slow getting up isn't being a drama queen...

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

Just you! You go down low every game and get mugged. See what it feels like. I am glad that T-Rob apologized.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

A lot of good points about Robinson here, and some not-so-good ones as well.

I think the refs could have easily let this occurrence go without a technical. After all, the ref who was standing RIGHT OVER the scrum didn't feel the need to blow his whistle. The idiot who called the T came running in from the backside of the play, with his vision being obscured by at least three players. All he saw was a some flailing and decided that was sufficient "evidence" to T someone up.

In fact, I think refs making calls that shouldn't be their call to make is perhaps my biggest refereeing pet peeve. Okay, maybe second only to zebras tossing fans because they have thin skin...

All that being said, Robinson needs to understand that part of his job, as one of the leaders on this team, is to act as if he expects the refs to make overly-conservative calls as it relates to his own transgressions and overly-liberal calls as it relates to the defenders who spend the entire game mugging him. That way he can never be too frustrated with the calls because he expects the worse (which is probably a safe expectation anyway, given the state of officiating this year).

stm62 5 years ago

A&M really picked up the intensity in the second half and made it difficult to get open looks. KU wasn't scorching the nets anyway. Another BIG win.

Doug Cramer 5 years ago

We've seen this a few times this year after getting big leads. It seems like they lose all focus...the opposition picks up on it and takes advantage.

Message to T-Rob - don't worry about the Player of the Year. Focus on being a team player, a leader, and make your teammates around you better. Focus on winning a national championship !

dylans 5 years ago

Heck yeah! If you concentrate on individual awards the team will suffer. Play through the team and in the system and the good things that were happening earlier will happen again.

KGphoto 5 years ago

He may be too worried about not worrying about it.

selfishhawk 5 years ago

This comment isn't fair. Has T-Rob seemed disengaged? Sure. But he had some really nice assists last night - which is all of the things you just asked of him. I fear he may be tired or nicked up bad. His spring has abated substantially since the beginning of the year.

Todd Hill 5 years ago

That one pass to Withey's lower shim was pretty good. Is he trying out for the point guard position? In TRob's defense I thought he was wide open on the block several times and Teahan instinctly passed the ball back to the point. You have to at least look down low before you pass it back.

Doug Cramer 5 years ago

Not trying to be unfair here. Just giving a little advice. I love the way T-Rob and Withey have added a passing game in the post.

EverRisingHawk 5 years ago

In the long run a program will have years marked by underachievement (like A&M's current season), but I would be heartbroken to see a Kansas game as grossly under-attended as was the game last night. To boast a near-empty arena while hosting the number five team in the country on your last big hoorah in the Big XII...... it would break my heart to see something similar go down in the Phog - I hope it never does.

Glad to go home with a win, but our lapses in play result from keying down our defensive intensity. Droughts on the offensive end will happen ANY time you're up 21 on a team, but we cannot let up defensively, ever. I hope that's a lesson we carry into the match-ups in March. When we pressure perimeter passes and guard with fire, no temporary lapse on offense is enough to jeopardize a win.

april28 5 years ago

Where exactly was the Dallas chapter of the KU Alumni Association last night? Boulder used to be our extra home game. This should have been the same - more Crimson and Blue than maroon and khaki. Let's make sure that TCU becomes our extra home game next year.

I couldn't believe when I heard the announcers say that A&M has two top-100 recruits coming in next year. Between A&M and Baylor, I am just baffled.

5 years ago

FYI - - there is a significant difference distance-wise between the drive from Denver to Boulder and the drive from Dallas to College Station, the latter being about two hours longer. Since this was a weeknight game, both factors probably negated many of the Dallas group. My guess is there was a decent contingent of Houston and Austin alumni in attendance last night, both of which are geographically closer to aTm than DFW is.

You can bet the KU vs. TCU games in Fort Worth will be full of Jayhawk fans though!

Al Martin 5 years ago

It's easy to forget how big Texas is. It's a two and a half hour drive from Austin to College Station, two hours from Houston, and over three hours from Dallas. I love to travel to KU games, but there's no way I can do five hours on a Wednesday.

FoCoCoHawk 5 years ago

Speaking of the ubiquitous Jayhawk Nation... Could somebody please come up with a hand signal that denotes KU solidarity? (Hopefully something with the clarity of a gang sign but without the provocativeness.) Here in Colorado, I see Jayhawk license plates and KU decals all the time but have no way of expressing my connection with said driver. C'mon: We tailor make avatars; let's get this hand-led.

And why here--of ALL places--does both "KU" and "Jayhawk" show up as misspellings, in need of correction?

JayDocMD 5 years ago

I think you're on to something here. After all, we have a signal when we see Mizzery fans - the fist with 3rd digit extended.

Alex Berger 5 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a crimson and blue suit. Does that count?

april28 5 years ago

Thx for the info. It will be great to see on tv next year.....this could be a huge boost for KU in Texas.

Calijhawk 5 years ago

If this team is to get deep into the tournament, Connor Teahan has to make shots, and he's just not doing it consistently, And Young looked like he was sped up...his picks were not good, and he looked lost on defense a couple of times.

The only good thing about the tournament is that the TV breaks are longer, and depth doesn't play as big a factor as it does in the regular season. Even so, Missouri will be really, really tough if we play defense like we did down the stretch. My instinct is that the Fieldhouse won't allow that to happen.

april28 5 years ago

Two wide-open looks for 3's in the last couple of minutes. Hit either one and he changes the game.

Jayhawk444 5 years ago

I'm to the point that I don't even want to see him shoot it. When I see an open Teahan receive a pass in the corner...I don't even get excited. I expect a misfire. He did get a couple of nice offensive rebounds last night, and he hits free throws, but his only real job is to hit threes, and he isn't coming through on that.

John Boyle 5 years ago

He is making a decent percentage at home. He just cannot shoot the three on the road. Must be the five years of practicing at AFH.

Alohahawk 5 years ago

Conner's rebounds were a big contribution today. However, to disagree only slightly about your consistency remark, Teahan has been very consistent most of the season on his 3's. Unfortunately, the consistency is on the negative side. It's hard to believe he can be praised as one of the best 3 point shooters on this team (during practice), when he (consistently) can't hit the broad side of a barn during games.

At least EJ hit some of his 3's today. I can't remember. Did any other Jayhawk hit at least one 3 today?

It's unfortunate that TRob got the technical foul. It's bound to hurt his rep with the national writers. You could see his frustration after he got his 4th foul on the ticky tack reach-in when it appeared he got as much ball as anything on the loose-ball scuffle just before at the other end of the court. It's also unfortunate that all the writers/POY voters can't be present to witness the pressure defense TRob has to withstand each and every game. It's easy (for me anyway) to understand how TRob must feel about the mauling he receives when double and triple teamed during every trip down court.

There were a couple of plays where TRob was trying so hard that he was lucky he didn't hurt himself. Luckily he has a lot of muscle mass to cushion some of those falls he took today. An injury to TRob (or any starter for that matter) would pretty much eliminate KU's chances in the big dance.

tdscpa 5 years ago

Damn, we could have a good team if all our players did not obsess about projecting their "gangsta" qualities.

If they did what coach Self wanted and forgot the posing, showing, and strutting, we could have a great team.

PamB700 5 years ago

Ditto! They get cocky awfully fast for a team that can come unglued as fast as this one. Last year's team had the same problem. Seems like they might have figured that out after last year's tournament. Or this year's Davidson game. When they play like team they are awesome and so much fun to watch. If they play like they did last night, they'll be exiting the tournament early again.

EverRisingHawk 5 years ago

We COULD have a 'good' team? I'm of the opinion that we DO have a 'great' team. We have overachieved, given what the expectations were heading into the season. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say we are preoccupied with projecting 'gangsta' qualities. When do we 'pose, show, and strut?' Fraschilla noted that it was extremely rare for TRob to lose his cool after that technical call - it is certainly not the norm. It's unrealistic to expect a blowout against a home team during their swan song in the Big XII. Bill Self teams are tough, and they play with swagger. I don't think that should be confused with projecting 'gangsta' qualities.

Brandon Blaylock 5 years ago

we do have a great team. one T (which was very stupid) and now we are gangstas?

Sam Brockert 5 years ago

Yes, T-Rob is black so, if he doesn't keep his cool 100% of the time, you know like whites always do, then he is a "gansta", it isn't that difficult... (Note the sarcasm)..

John Randall 5 years ago

Playing the race card, legitimate or not, does not do a damned thing to help TRob or the team.

The situation is what it is – TRob, like everyone else, needs to deal with it. He's done a super job all year, but no one can have a perfect reaction every time he is provoked. The provocations will continue but a poor reaction will only cause them to increase, and officiating to become more critical.

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

tdscpa..........You do not know what a "gangsta" is!

John Randall 5 years ago

That's the thing about newly coined words – we all know what it means but only to ourselves, and everyone else is wrong about it.

A Cherokee cowboy named Will Rogers explained it this way:

"What you don't know can cause you problems, but nothing like what you DO know that just ain't SO."

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

Where I come from "gangsta" has a highly negative connotation and no one on this KU team would be considered a "gangsta" in my mind. The reporter Forde has used that term as well as "thug" loosely and frankly should refrain from such hyperbole!

KansasComet 5 years ago

Conner Teahan for the most part is a classic "Front Runner". He plays best at home and when we are in the lead. It's all about confidence. I like him. Despite his limitations he still gets in there and gives good effort. However, when trying to win a championship, when games get tight and that "ole pucker factor" kicks in, he is not someone I am depending on to win it for us. Once the tournament starts, weak links will be attacked, just like Kevin Young on defense. There is a role for Conner Teahan on this team, usually when we are comfortably ahead or when we need to steal a few minutes for the starter. Placing expectations on him to win it for us in crunch time, is just too much!

nuleafjhawk 5 years ago

I wish I were a big lead and my wife was a KU basketball team.

EverRisingHawk 5 years ago

hahahahaha. Maybe too harsh for a team that pulled off an 8 point win against a tough team in their house, but I have to applaud the wit - that's pretty d@#n good, ha.

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

Hopefully, the scoring lead was secured by a lot of clean shots.

Jeremy Paul 5 years ago

It was good to see Elijah finally play a good game. After his bucket on the first possession, I was constructing a comment in my head to post on here saying "Did you see Elijah on that first possession? Now that's the way we all know he can play." And then he just went ahead and continued playing well. In a game filled with a lot of disappointment and frustration, I think he was the bright spot. I would Love to see him have a huge game on Saturday and then pick up his conference player of the week award.

Timmay97 5 years ago

I have only one issue with Conner Teahan....

Does anyone else feel that he's too nonchalant when he has the ball in his hand? I feel like every time he has the ball, he's not "strong." Specifically when he puts the ball on the floor on the offensive end.

Living in the NY/NJ area, he totally reminds me of Robinson Cano with the nonchalantness.

I'm sure it's just me......he has done a good enough job as our 6 man off the bench. Besides hitting a few more shots, you can't really ask for more.

lincase 5 years ago

Plus, he is a reliable free throw shooter.

gdkadjayhawk 5 years ago

Last night, Chris Piper agreed with you. At one point, in a little frustration, he said that Conner needs to either shoot or pass when he gets the ball, nothing more. It's not just you!

Not dissing him, though. I agree with KansasComet - he has his role, but generally needs to work within it.

John Randall 5 years ago

Each one of us has a certain "face" we wear to keep others from knowing our true feeling. Conner is as intense as they come – he'd be long gone if he weren't. I'm more bothered by the kind of histrionics a lot of players display than about a guy who hustles back on defense no matter whether he hits a shot, misses a shot, draws a foul, makes a good pass or bad pass, or gets mugged with no whistle. I don't think we ever see anything from Conner but the very best he can give.

OMG, I just realized I'm saying these things about a white guy – just as I would about TRel or the Prophet.

Please disregard. Don't report me to the PC police.

Todd Hill 5 years ago

One of my pet peaves with Conner is he is thinking abou the pass back to the point before he evens catches the pass on the wing. TRob, Withey and others are working hard down low and most times he does not even glance at them.

hawkmaster 5 years ago

I know some on this site don't believe in criticizing the Hawks for anything, they think every bad game or bad play is an anomaly that can be quickly fixed, or they will easily dismiss critical comments as "the sky is not falling". If u are one of those, skip this blog, consider it critical analysis but the sky is not falling.

Guys, its now the end of the season, and KU still cannot close out a game on the road, its not something that's easily fixable now, this is who KU is this year! I really don't like KU's chances against a decent mid-major in the NCAA tourney this year, more parity this year, KU has less margin for error, and this KU team clearly takes lower profile teams for granted and thinks they can just turn it on when they need and coast to a victory.

Some of that attitude comes from prior seasons when KU had better teams, and they could get away with that, not this team!

I thought it was good strategy for HCBS to finally call out TRob, although some of these issues have persisted for some time. HCBS is a class act, and very seldom rides his players in the press, and I believe that is the best approach. But sometimes its necessary to be publicly called out to get a player's attention.

TRob is great and I would not trade him for anyone, as long as he does not play like he did last night on a consistent basis. He is clearly frustrated by the double/triple teams and hacking, and I think he is wearing down with all the minutes. But its late in the year, and its still causing him to lose composure, hog the ball when he finally gets it, take terrible shots, or try and force something that leads to a turnover. This is more apparent in road games or neutral courts. This tendency is probably not changing at this point of the season.

TRob is a great defensive rebounder, but is not a very good offensive rebounder this season. IMO, he may be conserving some energy with all his minutes, and not focusing on the OR. But last night, he didn't even attempt to crash the offensive boards in most possessions, and its not like A&M has athletic big men that can outrun him to the other end of the court, so that was not the issue.

If anyone was watching TRob for the first time, or had not seem him much, his stock would have dropped significantly in the POY voting, bad game and bad attitude.

If EJ does not have a great game (which we haven't seen for a while), then KU loses, KU can't rely on that. EJ did drive to the bucket and finish, once, but we need to see much more of that - - with his hops and athleticism he should be able to finish at the rim like TT.

But this game is history. At AFH, I think TRob and Company will be stoked for Muzzou, and I think KU will win by 12 to 15 points fairly handily. See, I finished on a positive note!

hawkmaster 5 years ago

nb4ku 5 years ago

hawkmaster, I will help take some of the heat off as I agree with you.

I believe the "T" has been a long time coming and was deserved. I respect TRob for everything he's been through, but that was inexcusable and I hope he truly did learn from it. He has been off his game of late and this may be the thing that gets him to refocus for the stretch run.

With that being said, I wouldn't trade him for any other player in the country!!

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

I call it the "Morriss Thug Factor"...how many techs did those two guys get last year??....a lot!!!

Hank Cross 5 years ago

I'm one of the more negative posters, but I'm not that upset with the game. I think it was just a case of getting up big and checking out of the game. (I know that I lost interest for a while in the 2nd half) They started looking ahead to Mizery, that's not unexpected or surprising. Give a&m some credit for rallying in gym that was almost empty. The only a&m fan that seemed to care was the blonde girl in the Daisy Dukes who was sitting behind the backboard. (Or maybe that was the only a&m fan I noticed.)

That and Teahan is the worst shooter in the history of KU BB. Had EJ or Travis missed 1/10 of those shots last year, they would've been benched immediately.

texashawk10 5 years ago

Gumby cared too, he was all over the student section.

Wayne Seymour 5 years ago

This is so correct........have watch the Hawks all year, I get the feeling after they have a big lead, they go to "street ball" and each one (except for a few) attempts to play their own game and see what they can do to get response from a crowd. Thought the article hit it right on the head.

brooksmd 5 years ago

"Teahan is the worst shooter in the history of KU BB." Somewhere Morningstar is smiling.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

1) I will agree that this team has shown some difficulty closing out games, especially on the road. That being said, I don't know why you think it has anything to do with over-confidence or thinking we have the ability to "turn it on", as was clearly the case with last year's team.

Rather than overconfidence, to me it looks like one of the less talked-about ways in which depth (or lack thereof) affects the team. KU, like most teams comprised of 18-21 year-olds, loses some of the intensity and focus when they get a big lead, and do it as seemingly easy as KU did last night. A dropoff is bound to occur. However, unlike in years past, when KU's sheer talent advantage allowed them to hold the opponent at arm's length, even with less focus, this year KU's talent advantage isn't as pronounced, and in some games, isn't an advantage at all. I would say the talent level of a full-strength Texas A&M is actually pretty comparable to what KU has this year. The fact is that healthy Texas A&M is a good team, and good teams don't stay down by 21 when they are at home, especially good defensive teams like A&M.

2) It's worth noting that, while KU let the giant lead slip away, the did actually close the A&M game out. I know we'd all prefer they do a little better than letting a 21-point lead evaporate to a 4-point lead, but where exactly do you draw the line on being able to close out a game if it's not based on whether they ended up winning?

3) Robinson did have one of his less impressive games last night, but let's keep a little perspective. A&M is one of the better defensive teams we'll see this year (currently 32nd in the nation in defensive efficiency) and they showed the ability to guard TRob pretty well in our first meeting. The fact that he still managed to put up a double-double in one of his least impressive games this season is a notch in his cap in SUPPORT of his POY candidacy if you ask me. That being said, he needs to be extremely careful about the emotion stuff--there is a fine line between "showing emotion" and "earning a technical", and once you earn a rep for being a certain way and take the proverbial lid off Pandora's Box, you can't go back in the officials' minds. It's better for everyone involved if TRob doesn't have a rep as a hothead.

Nothing wrong with identifying problems or areas of concern. I just have a hard time dwelling for too long on any of the negatives, mainly because I feel like everything that happens the rest of the way is gravy. KU fans are officially playing with house money at this point, in the context of pre-season expectations.

John Randall 5 years ago

Just the kind of things I'd expect to hear from a moderately intelligent fan who watches a lot of Jayhawk bball. We all see the warts and pray for them not to get worse.

Regarding 'crashing the offensive boards', I would guess the coaches know how much foul trouble that would cause. On most shots, there is a defender between him and the basket, if not two or three, so an over-the-back call will happen far too often unless the ball comes his way or space opens up underneath.

Dee Shaw 5 years ago

I love the headlines of stories, KU Barley Holds On. Who cares how they won, they won. I am amazed of how people reflect on the negative more than they just won. I don't care if they were up by 50 and won by 1. They won. KU did not look past TX A&M. Unlike MU who I think looked past KSU had no excuse loosing at home. KU won on the road was up 21 pts and won. Be thankful. Finally we can start talking about the BIG game on Saturday and we don't have to worry about looking ahead. KU took care of business unlike some other team.

Jeremy Paul 5 years ago

I disagree dlshaw74. Very discouraging game last night. You're right--a win is a win, but do you think the team was happy on the way home last night? I know Self wasn't happy. I wasn't happy. And I think this headline sums up the game more than anything else you hear about the game. I keep hearing on ESPN "Kansas wins by 8." But that's not the story of the game. The story of the game is that KU had a huge lead, and they barely held on to win.

JayHawkFanToo 5 years ago

I disagree. MU did not look past KSU. KSU simply matches well with MU and it exposed all of MU's weaknesses; KU would do well to study the video of that game as it presents blueprint on how to beat MU. Kudos to Coach Martin, he had a good game plan and his players executed it perfectly.

Ethan Berger 5 years ago

Stop using the word thug. Getting frustrated and shoving isn't being a thug. You want thug? Go watch the Xavier CIncy fight. Seriously, if we were a all white team, I promise you no one would use the word thug.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

1) He didn't shove him

2) Even if he did, that doesn't make him a thug.

3) The official who was standing right over the top of the scrum didn't blow his whistle. Robinson's offense must not have been THAT bad if it took an official with an obscured view running across the court to call it.

4) I will agree with Self's assessment, however. Robinson is a smart and experienced enough player to know better than to even get close in such a pivotal part of the game.

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

Smart may be going too far. He looks like a baby half the time.

JayHawkFanToo 5 years ago

IrishCharlie talking about THUG mentality...imagine that....

John Randall 5 years ago

He wants to be sure no one's looking at him . . .

Gil Ek 5 years ago

They gave us a game at our house. We go to their house, shoot 38% from the field and 22% from the arc and we WIN BaaBee!!!! Nobody got hurt!!! Destroy Mizzu!!!!

TRUEBLUEKU 5 years ago

Can't wait to re-visit this in a few weeks. "10 Predictions for KU Basketball" before the season began. AWESOME! http://isportsweb.com/2011/10/21/10-predictions-for-20112012-kansas-jayhawks/

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

YES - #1, #2, #4, #8....NO - #3, #5, #6[hell, no!!], #7......Maybe - #9, #10

Ryan Shelton 5 years ago

Yes: 1,2,4,8, No: 3,5 Maybe: 6,7,8 Should, but won't because of Mizzou's weak schedule: 10

eastcoasthawk 5 years ago

Was a tough win but well deserved. Kudo's to the guys for closing this one out away from home after they let it get too close.

The thing that bothered me about this game and several others this year is that our guards on the perimeter get the ball and have either TRob or Withey with position in the post and are afraid to make the pass into the post. Against A&M the bigs really had to battle for that position and when they won it, the pass was not made. This could have gotten EJ or TT some more open 3's the way that they brought help to the post. We really got away from this in the 2nd half.

Todd Hill 5 years ago

+1 I'm glad I'm not the only that saw that.

LngTimeFan 5 years ago

Ever since JW started playing so much better than in the early part of the season he has gotten much deserved recognition. TRob has not gotten much positive recognition, at least not like before. I think TRob is simply jealous of the press coverage JW is getting. It has shown in his play, his demeanor on/off the court. For KU to achieve all that is possible TRob will need to get over it and let his play help the Hawks win. Just my opinion of course.

april28 5 years ago

Teams have adjusted to TRob and he's going to have to grow his game to overcome it. The Player of the Year thing is over, unless he really steps up in the last three games. Perhaps that frustrating performance last night will motivate him and the rest of the team.

John Randall 5 years ago

You may be right, the level of attention was ridiculously high for a lot of the season, and that level has dropped pretty rapidly. Considering how well Thomas has dealt with the onslaught of life's vicissitudes over the last year or so, I'm not too worried about him coming to grips with the rest of this season and his place in it.

He has a lot of ingrained humility as well as exceptional drive and motivation which can be hard to resolve on a day-to-day, game-to-game basis. We should all come as close to a perfect attitude as he displays (almost) all the time.

oldalum 5 years ago

I can't agree with that, LngTimeFan. I think if Thomas was worried about how well Jeff is playing, we wouldn't see the assists Thomas gets from passing to Jeff when he finds himself buried in defenders.

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

+1 TRob's assists are up and most go to Withey!

texashawk10 5 years ago

If he never transfers, he's likely not on the team next year unless Self redshirted him because he would be a senior this year. His presence this year would be a huge addition for this team along with his leadership.

jackoman 5 years ago

Yes it was Nasty Technical. TRob needs to calm down. Does'nt look good. Too much anger. Get control dude and play classy. He's try to prove too much. OUT of CONTROL

REHawk 5 years ago

Well, here is another view of the Aggies situation. The league has responded well to the call to send them off to their next conference of choice with 11 huge cockleburs beneath their saddle, to date. A team which was projected to be a Big 12 title contender has won only 4 league contests. Bye-bye...and sad but good riddance!

Alohahawk 5 years ago

+1 With all of the attention given to Mizzery's leaving the conference, ATM's departure hasn't received much fanfare on this site. ATM also deserved the kicks in the bu** they've received this season from most of the Big 12 teams.

Now the biggest bu**heads of all are coming to town, and they deserve a good old fashioned woodshed whipping on Feb. 25th. Let every Jayhawk keep that in mind when they step on the court.

Perfect banner for the game: "No mercy to mizzery in the Phog!!!"

JurisJayhawk 5 years ago

Send A&M out of the conference with an L - check Next up - Missery.

Get focused, Hawks.

Scott Lippoldt 5 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if this duplicates another. I kind of had a different take on last night's game than what I've read so far. I think this was absolutely perfect timing to blow a lead the way the Hawks did, and yet still win the game on the road.

We couldn't afford a loss and still have a shot at a one seed. And yes, even with our past history, I would rather we get a one seed and be pretty much guaranteed a trip to the sweet 16. At that point, it pretty much becomes a matter of match-ups anyway, as well as which teams get hot and get the good breaks.

This was the perfect time for the Hawks to come away feeling disappointed with their play and learn yet again that they can't just show up or put it on cruise control. Hopefully that will serve as a reminder for the rest of the season, and at this point, they know they can play anywhere from 5 to 12 games. I also love that Coach Self was so upset with the team for this type of play. He definitely will know which buttons to push after last night!

Finally, I think it was great that T-Rob got the technical foul and that he vowed it would not happen again this year. If my memory serves me right, he had made that same promise earlier in the season. With so few games left to play, it again was perfect timing for him to see what such a stupid mistake could have done to his team. Better now than in a tourney game.

Anyway, I thought last night's game could not have played out any better for setting us up for these next few weeks. The Hawks should be even hungrier and angrier for Saturday's must win, and there is no excuse now for the OSU game to be a "trap" game.

Hey, and most importantly, we won! I don't know about you, but if you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be 23-5 and leading the Big 12 at this time of year, I would have taken it in a heartbeat! RCJH!!!

Nick Cole 5 years ago

I like the positive spin on everything, and I would have to agree 100% with everything in your post. Now was the perfect time for a game like this. I would love for T-Rob to get POY (which I still think he deserves, even after last night's game), but I want championships more. If we win out and he plays under control and the way he is capable of, he will get everything he earns.

Now let's kick some tiger tail out the door.

Rock Chalk!

bradynsdad 5 years ago

Where are the posters that had us at 19-10 and 9-9 in the league?

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

Actually, you're short by two games..I had Kansas at 21-10 reg. season 13-5 in league and final 25-12...and would have been OK with that. This year is a gift!!!

bradynsdad 5 years ago

Agreed oakville. I thought we would have a good season and about 5 losses in conference but I never expected this.

Joe Baker 5 years ago

I want to know where the Withey critics are that were really down on him early in the season. It's interesting how a player improves when he plays and gains some confidence.

april28 5 years ago

Here's one....donut friggin hole at Mizzou. Let's step it up Saturday Mr. Withey.

Mike Barnhart 5 years ago

Me? Right here. Said it a couple of times. Then Coach Self once again proved that he's, hands down, the best teacher in college coaching!

Gotta' give Danny Manning credit too. Not sure what "porn stash" and "Mr. Pink" do on this staff but I'm sure they're good coaches as well.

John Randall 5 years ago

They do what they're supposed to – work hard every day to help every player get one day better. And you're damned right they are good at it!

Alohahawk 5 years ago

Some of the prediction posters you refer to are long gone, out the door to their new doghouse, the SEC. (That's an insult to man's best friend, BTW.) Most of those trolls haven't been around much over the last few weeks. The Mizzery troll is the only one who has dared, and I doubt he'll show face after this coming Saturday's game.

As for W/L predictions, I can't remember mine exactly but I believe I was a little over confident at around 28 wins by conference end. I thought Baylor would be KU's biggest challenge. (Forgot how inept their coaching staff has proven in the past.) Gave Iowa State the benefit of the doubt because of all their transfers. Misread Mizzery because they lost Bowers before the season begin and that they had a new coach and little height. Predicted them at 6th in the Big 12.

Didn't see Davidson as a threat. Thought KU had a slight chance against Duke, since it was an early season matchup.

Knew KU had a chance for an 8th straight Big 12 championship, simply because KU has the best coach in college BBall. Records don't lie, and no team in the Big 12 has proven otherwise. And because the Phog always gives KU a big advantage.

But in retrospect, have enjoyed the ride despite the speedbumps which have mostly been created by the Jayhawks, themselves.

I think KU holds court in the Phog, but worry about OSU. The Hawks have had trouble at OSU during Self's reign.

John Randall 5 years ago

"Played poorly down the stretch" has been the pretty universal description, but I lean more to "let off the gas for a while to squander big advantage, then sucked it up late to reassert dominance."

BCRavenJHawkfan 5 years ago

“He can get in the paint and get his own shot. He needs to start getting shots for his teammates,” Self said of Taylor.

Gee Bill, that's a great idea only if the teammates can make those shots, and lately that has not been happening.

I don't know what kind of coaching has been going on lately but for TRob to always be so far under the basket that defenders are able to use the rim as an extra defender is killing his scoring chances. Plus, early in the year; TRob, Withey, and Young would regularly put the ball off the glass on those short jumpers along the lane. And they were money, now they throw up garbage to the front of the rim. Travis was always picking up stray offensive rebounds for easy and quick baskets, now I see him snow birding with TT.

WTF is going on!

JD Roth 5 years ago

13-2 in the Big XII is what is going on. Releford is still producing at both ends. Remember this is a rebuilding year, lol...If you haven't learned by now, Self knows how to coach. Relax and enjoy this season!!

AirCapJay 5 years ago

TRob has been showing off for NBA scouts for several games now. Notice how much he wants to dribble the ball down like a guard and shoot from the perimeter? He has turned it over doing such way too much. He has traveled several times in the last 3-4 games.

TRob needs to quit being selfish and showing off for the NBA and start playing ball the way Self wants him to.

Justin Kruse 5 years ago

Sure see a lot of the Morris twins in Thomas lately; stepping over guys on the floor, flexing after dunks, throwing elbows, whining...

Just be the POY that we all know you can be and deserve to be. I hope he gets his emotions under control and lets his play speak for itself.

...and hit a 3 Teahan.

Mike Johns 5 years ago

I think we are blowing this out of proportion... The game got close, but never in jeopardy.

It is tough to win on the road in the big 12.
Rock Chalk

Mike Barnhart 5 years ago

Uhh, I'll contend that if aTm had cut the lead to 2 (they had a few chances to do it) it would have become a foul shooting contest. That's "jeopardy" my friend!!

RCJH4 5 years ago

T Rob is too concerned about winning POY. Once Dick Vitale and other ESPN announcers selected Anthony Davis...T Rob has not been playing as well in many areas(travel calls, not being patient, carrying the ball down, technical call, visually frustrated for all to see, taking unnecessary shots that don't go in) This pattern seems to continue and get worse. This is going to hurt the team's success, and he will not be awarded POY. He is frustrated because of his statistics, and is forcing things to happen.

Just play like you did before you became concerned about winning POY; play well with Jeff; and our continued success will make everything else fall into place.

Jeff has to play with intensity each game for us to have success!

okiedave 5 years ago

It appears that KU has taken it's second half let down to an art form.

april28 5 years ago

16-2 run says it all. Two missed FT's by Elijah, two missed open- 3's by CT, beyond stupid Technical by T Rob, easy fast-break baskets and a wide open three allowed. It was a clinic in how to screw up a big lead. 5 of the worst minutes of KU basketball as I've ever seen.

Chris Corley 5 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it, somewhere in America right now, perhaps just breaking morning practice, in the mid-major team that's going to beat Kansas in the tournament.

Mike Barnhart 5 years ago

Lots of folks disgruntled with Conner Teahan. When he spots up on the arc most of us now assume the shot wont fall. That's not just because we're used to the misses, it's also because the shot has gotten U G L Y ! He leans in, he clutches and he shot puts. The guy is lost!

Time for Conner to use his good shot fake to draw fouls and get to the line, at least until he gets the 3 ball figured out.

Ethan Berger 5 years ago

You can't choke if you win. Come on man, at least attempt to sound educated. We swept KSU.

dtdjayhawk 5 years ago

I have a hard time believing that anyone for ESPN said that Kstate is the best basketball team in Kansas. Proof?

JayHok 5 years ago

Haha. Yeah right. I'm sure Jay Bilas thinks the fact that KSU won both games against KU this year proves that point. Also their 8-7 conference record.

KSU did great against MU and I can understand a desire to stir it up with KU fans with Mizzou leaving the conference, but cmon KSU fans. Lawrence was never burnt down by Manhattan so Manhattan could promote slavery. You guys are just too darn cute to hate and too small of a market to worry about----obviously this is a huge appeal for your fans which makes good sense, the friendly market with a great football coach. Loyal to each other and looking to lash out against someone you might love. We get it. But we can't completely relate. Our hatred towards Missouri has always been real. It can't be manufactured on these boards or even on a sports field. The Cats like the other schools from the Big 12, we respect and even the occasional cheap shots from your fans basically makes us smile. You're impossible to hate and at times the few fans from KSU who try to get this feeling of animosity going just makes us think oh isn't that cute?

We've done nothing to you except being from the same state. We've helped raise money for your school as you've done for us.

The fact that the ESPN talking heads and polls could very well have KU in the top 5 and WSU in the top 15 next week should say something.

KSU has looked pretty solid the last couple games but cmon.

What should be discussed is that a state with a small population will have 3 teams in the tournament.

jrbill67 5 years ago

Thank heavens for Johnson having the game of his life and Withey, Releford, and Teahan playing hard and smart the entire game. Neither Taylor nor Robinson were engaged the entire evening. I thought they had conquered the immaturity and might even become leaders, but they reverted to their previous poor behaviors. If Self had a bench, these two would be on it. They need a wake up call, but Self's hands are tied and they know it. As I've said before, if these two don't get their act together, this season is ending way too soon.

yates33333 5 years ago

Forget Bilious. He usually does a pretty good job, but his idea that a team KU beat twice, once at their home, is better than KU is nuts. Frank Martin is a good coach and if Self could learn from his approach great. Wait to see how it goes Saturday before concluding Self can't beat Mizzou. He has in the past, regularly. Withey is playing great. Let's hope Saturday is not a repeat of the game at Columbia. I don't think it will be. He knows to push back now. I don't understand the Teahan v. Morningstar. I think Morningstar contributed more his last year than Teahan has this, but the year isn't over. I hope Teahan gets hot outside and stays hot forever.

Last thought: A WIN, IS A WIN, IS A WIN. KU won last night.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

"but his idea that a team KU beat twice, once at their home, is better than KU is nuts"

So nuts, in fact, that one might wonder whether or not longtimetroll just made it up out of thin air, in yet another transparent attempt to rile up KU fans.

:-)

Ethan Berger 5 years ago

Nothing makes people sound more uneducated and racist then putting the word thug around every negative thing. Turner isn't a thug, Robinson isn't a thug. Its funny Duke has had the same problems but no one calls them thugs, hmm and they have alot more white players. It is getting over used. Half of yall act like you never played a sport in your life and tempers flared. What happened in the Xavier and Cincy game was thuggish. But seriously its a sport, are they supposed to hug everyone and they everyone how good looking they are? Get off your high horse are realize that not all frustration plays are thug plays.

FLJHK 5 years ago

Big +1. Plus, IMHO TRob is as classy a Jayhawk as anyone, ever.

rob4lb 5 years ago

There are alot of apologists out for Robinson; fortunately based on his tweet, Robinson isn't his own apologist. Is he getting beat up? Yes. But that what happens to talented big men. If you think this is bad, wait until the NBA. You can't let other players get in your head and that is what happened. Maybe this will be a lesson learned.

I do expect them to come out play some at their highest level on Saturday. I don't think it will be a cakewalk. I'm sure MU is going to come out with a chip on its shoulder and they can be a match up problem for KU.

sleepy33 5 years ago

I agree. I think TRob is a great kid, capable of great things, but for the past few games, he has played with no energy and an overall air of frustration and boredom. At first, I chalked it up to just being understandably exhausted after the toll this season has taken, but with the days off and rest they had leading in to this game, I don't think you can blame it on that. He should have been fresh and ready to go.

There were multiple plays last night where they fed the ball in to TRob, and he was about 5 feet off the basket with only one defender guarding him. The kind of situation where, in the past, it would have been a no-brainer for him to rotate and take it to the rim for an easy basket. Every time last night, he immediately passed it back out to somebody else on the perimeter. I was completely puzzled at his lack of desire to take the shot. His confidence was nowhere to be seen.

I can't even imagine how hard it must be to get ready for all of these games, knowing how hard you are going to have to fight, play after play and game after game to be the player that he has been this season. It's easier to get up that level of energy when it's a game against a big opponent or a rival. But the past few games he has almost looked on the verge of tears at times, like a two year old in dire need of a timeout. I am hoping that the technical made this clear enough that it will be addressed and his attitude hopefully adjusted by Saturday.

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

Just put one thing in perspective... The KU Team is leading the Big XII. It is not TRob, it is not JW, or it is not TT, it is the TEAM!

Clarence Haynes 5 years ago

You guys are overly critical. Come off of it. The team is winning and no one expected it.

sleepy33 5 years ago

Well, I don't think it's being overly critical to notice a difference in a player's performance and express concern over the way he's playing or even concern for the kid himself. But I will totally agree with your point that the team as a whole is stepping up to make things happen when one or two players have an average night instead of a great night. I think that is one of the more interesting things that happens in team sports, though I don't know what it really has to do with my observations about TRob.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

Just a few thoughts:

1) I'm curious how you're defining "apologist", because I saw a lot of people who identified the cause of Robinson's frustration, but also note that he needs to play smarter than that. I don't think I would qualify cutting a little slack to a guy like Robinson as being an "apologist"

2) I guarantee that big men in the NBA don't get the kind of abuse that college officials allow to take place in the post. The NBA players are much more physical, but in college there are far too many instances of players who are severely undersized compared to Robinson getting physical without even bothering to disguise it as a basketball move. I'm talking things like draping themselves over the top of him, blatant shoves and pushes--the kinds of things that would not fly in the NBA, because NBA officials don't have the disposition to favor smaller players when it comes to any kind of contact around the basket.

rob4lb 5 years ago

He is not a kid anymore; in five months he will be an NBA lottery pick. Let's not blame the officials for not calling fouls because I can guarantee you, I can go to KState message board after the KState game or the MU message board and the comments will be about how the officials favor KU. It usually balances out.

T-Rob's tweet appeared to take personal responsibility.

You are definitely misguided on the nature of physical plan in the NBA and the abuse that big men get. A player like Shaq is so physically imposing that you never see how much he gets beat up. The same goes for any big man playing inside.

FLJHK 5 years ago

Last night was a perfect example of why Withey needs to be in the line-up at the end of close games, particularly when the opponent is in a must foul situation. He's a big target - so you should be able to get him the ball, and he is both a good and a clutch FT shooter. I thought it was a big mistake not having hin in at the end of the MU game, and if he was not in last night we might not have won.

tauck 5 years ago

Billy boy, Billy boy, Billy boy... Your lack of discipline with the Morris twins last year, is now coming back to haunt you. You let the "twins" get out of control last year with little or no repercussions and now we are starting to see it in a LAZY, UNDISCIPLINED and IMMATURE Thomas Robinson. You would have been wise last night, to sit his ass on the bench and let him get up when the game was over. Totally understand why you didn't and in my opinion it was a little gutless but it would have taught a great lesson that should have been taught last year. You sent Withey on the Allen Field house run, now how about sending TROB on it also....in fact send him on it twice.

brooksmd 5 years ago

Everybody is allowed their opinion. But I'm with you.

brooksmd 5 years ago

You might be right. But put yourself out there for 35 minutes, battling double/triple teaming, getting pushed and shoved, going to the floor for a ball and getting jumped on, and knowing you have not been able to perform at a level that is expected of you. You don't think you'd be just a little agravated? He didn't hit anybody, but was T'd for his arm movement. A warning would've been more suitable.

Philip Bowman 5 years ago

Yes, maybe a warning could have been given, but Robinson's history is out there and the refs are looking for this kind of conduct. They are a lot closer to the action and see it differently than when it is played back in slo-mo. If he was smarter he'd quit doing stupid things; they always cost you points and someday a game.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

I've posted it in a few places already, but again, the ref who blew the whistle was so far removed from the play, and the ref who was standing right over the top of the scrum didn't feel that a T was called for.

I agree that Robinson needs to be more careful, but this was yet ANOTHER case of an overzealous official who feels it's his job to call EVERY. SINGLE. CALL, rather than allowing his fellow officials make the calls that they are in a position to make.

rob4lb 5 years ago

Why are we looking for reasons to blame the refs? He messed up. He has been chippy the last few games. He lacked some maturity. He makes a great hustle play. The arrow points to KU with 40 seconds left and KU up by 6. I'm thinking at worst, we run 5-6 seconds off the clock and get a free throw. Even if we miss both free throws, it will take A&M maybe ten more seconds to score.

Sam Constance 5 years ago

Yes, because it's impossible to think that Robinson acted immature, but that the ref overreacted at the same time.

/sarcasm.

JayHawkFanToo 5 years ago

What history are you talking about? I have watched every game KU has been on TV and most every time he has been baited )and that happens a lot), he has raised his arms harmlessly and walked away. Considering all the abuse he gets on the paint, I would say he is extremely restrained. Don't make him look like he is a thug; he is not. .

Sally Presson 5 years ago

Well said everrisinghawk, so thankful we won that one. And T-Rob's tweet said it all, it won't happen again and I do believe it won't. You guys think we want the big 12 Championship, think about these players who have put their heart, soul, and bodies into this season. think back to last year when we lost practcially the entire team to the pros or graduation, this team is amazing, we will be Big 12 Champs outright!!! AND stay in the big dance til the end.

Go get Mizzou, Oakies & Texas!!!

Benjamin Piehler 5 years ago

How bout EJ last night? Like to see more of that.

april28 5 years ago

+1. Also....does anyone know if Travis Releford is still on the roster?

nb4ku 5 years ago

You must not pay attention when were playing defense if your asking that question.

april28 5 years ago

Yep, you are right. That foul 18-feet from the basket late in the game was Releford.

brooksmd 5 years ago

I didn't know what the win/loss record would be at the end of the season, but at the beginning I had resigned myself to just sit back and enjoy whatever wins we did have. I certainly didn't expect us to be where we are. But after last night's performance I firmly believe that Mizzery is in for an a$$-whooping Saturday. Withey's awakening will continue and he will make-up for his disappearance in Columbia. He is my JTR for the game.

Hammertoe 5 years ago

KSU vs KU in all sports last year 13-1. This year 5 -2. Does KU compete in any other sport other than Men's Basketball?

nb4ku 5 years ago

Look everyone, a K-Suck fan on the site. Must be giving the sheep a day off.

wtf45 5 years ago

Sorry i am a KU fan I was just asking thanks for the help . A simple question .

wtf45 5 years ago

I replied to the wrong comments sorry.

nuleafjhawk 5 years ago

Change your avatar to Richard Noggin.

JayHawkFanToo 5 years ago

Your stupidity sticks out like camel toe.

REHawk 5 years ago

Energetic, dynamic Thomas Robinson has been a tightly wound band of sinews these past 14 months. The dichotomy for him, his team, coach and all of us is that Jayhawk Basketball has become both a safe harbor and a constant torment during his healing process. His life spins around the world of basketball and his concern for sister Jayla. Defensive geniuses are at work to nudge his spin out of kelter. The Ratzo Izzos and Jim Calhouns of the Div. I hoops world are bound to bump rattle and roll T-Rob out of flow and focus. He must muster the mindset to grit his teeth, offer up a merciless grin and deflect concentrated defensive intentions. The POY hoopla has to be ignored so that he can focus on what he does best. His season's stats and contributions are now securely in place to guarantee him end of season recognition by Big 12 and NBA selection processes. Anything else, Thomas must look upon as gravy., the ladeling of which all to often is served up by the national sports press corps. In a few short months he is on his way to becoming a multimillionaire, and he will have more capability to breathe easier and care for Jayla. The Jayhawk Nation will wave a sad but superfond goodbye to one of the most significant players in its storied history. In the meanwhile, self control and winning focus are supreme ingredients for the joyful denouement of this magnificent season of flight by T-Rob and his teammates. Rock Chalk!

FLJHK 5 years ago

+1 Very well said and written.

april28 5 years ago

"The Jayhawk Nation will wave a sad but superfond goodbye to one of the most significant players in its storied history." That's a joke, right?

april28 5 years ago

Thomas Robinson is a very good player. Thomas Robinson hasn't won anything at KU, yet. If he finishes the regular season by contributing to a 3-game win streak in a big, big way. If he helps the team get at least to the finals of the Big 12 tournament. If he helps the team get to the Elite 8....then he might be worthy of being considered one of KU's top players but certainly not near the top of that list.

Do you even know who has played here before? Big men? Point guards? Forwards? Some of you guys act like commentators....latest, greatest.....you need to get some perspective and learn a little history.

Also, if you'd like to call me a fickle woman to my face, I'd be happy to meet you at the spring game and we can discuss it in person. If I knew who your parents were, I'd have them take away your internet privileges.

Philip Bowman 5 years ago

I think Robinson has been working on his NBA cred instead of winning games. Judging by the way he acts now you have to wonder just how smart he is. He makes dumb plays, over-reacts to pushes and then pouts when he is called on it. There is only so much Danny can teach to someone without common sense. We all know he is leaving after the season but couldn't he finish this one first? If not, why did we hire him? Now don't go off on how he isn't paid, etc. His payday comes when he gets his signing bonus, assuming the NBA doesn't figure out how unteachable he is.

Justin LoBurgio 5 years ago

Read REHAwk's post above. TRob made a bad decision and has had a couple of bad games. Unless you know him, save your judgement.

wtf45 5 years ago

I know this is off the subject but what is K-States official stance on playing Mizzou in the futrue. Thanks

REHawk 5 years ago

To answer that K State/Mizzou question, I suggest that posters take a gander at today's St. Louis Post sports page. Fine front page article quoting Bill Self's thoughts about the Jayhawks and other league teams, their current disposition toward future schedulings with Mizzou. Bye-bye, Tigers.

JayHok 5 years ago

The funny thing is the SEC was counting on Mizzou keeping several footprints besides KC to help spread the footprint of the SEC via Mizzou versus ex Big 12 teams. Kansas all by itself removing the KC market from Mizzou has greatly damaged the SEC's plan for the future. The rest of the Big 12 has joined arms on this issue, Texas agreed to equal sharing and the Big 12 has never been stronger. Funny that Mizzou left after Texas agreed to equal sharing, especially when Mizzou started this entire nervous nelly public avalanche.

The loss of SEC's crackpipe predicted footprint and Mizzou's onetime hopeful recruiting in KC results won't be seen for a few years but there is no doubt that the SEC has brought in a future doormat. All MU's seniors gone in basketball. The KC recruiting market slipping away. Texas recruiting their stronghold will be completely gone.

They'll be left with St Louis and even Weis and Campo signed a pretty good recruit from St Louis!

Kye Clark 5 years ago

I'm generally one who finds something to be concerned with during a game such as this. Pointing out trends that may come back to haunt us, noticing something that I feel needs to be corrected before a game against a more talented opponent, etc. Oddly enough though, this game doesn't bother me that much.

Sure it isn't preferable to almost choke away a 21 point lead, and I'm the last guy to fall back on the whole "we won, so everything is all right" attitude, but I do find myself explaining away some of the problems we had in this game, and also finding plenty of positives to take away from the game:

1. EJ finally exploded. Fans have been waiting for it to happen. Coach Self has been waiting for it to happen. Having him playing with some confidence heading into the biggest game of the season on Saturday is exactly what we needed.

2. TRob will come out in beast mode Saturday. He knows he had an off-game, and the technical at the end (which I didn't think was all that bad, thought it could have and probably should have not been called) is only going to fuel him for Saturday's game. At times I think he gets complacent, not necessarily reading his own press clippings, but when you're having the kind of season he's having I think it would be natural to believe you are as good as everyone thinks and just expect good things to come your way. This game should put that chip back on his shoulder that he sometimes needs to come out and dominate.

3. I give aTm some credit for fighting back. It's not always what we let them do, sometimes it's the other team making plays. They are a good team. For the first time they were playing with a roster close to the one picked to finish in a tie for first in the league.

4. They made a good chunk of their run with TT & TRob on the bench. KY and Connor were trying to guard guys they have no chance of staying with. It was a gamble by Self to leave them out there as long as he did, but the result should be some of our starters being fresher for the Misery game.

5. The near-collapse gives Self what he needs to ride these guys in practice the next two days and keep them focused. I'm sure that the players (as well as most of the fans on here) felt like they got robbed of the game in Columbia, having outplayed them for 37 minutes. This serves as a reminder that the game is 40 minutes long, and they aren't good enough to coast at the end.

I've read some comments about how this loss illustrates or exposes us as to why we will lose to a mid-major in the tournament or why we won't make the Final Four. But I've always had my doubts as to this ability to make a Final Four run. This game wasn't an eye-opener in that regard. However, looking at this game as a lead-in to the MU game Saturday and as a step towards another conference title, I came away feeling pretty good. One goal at a time. I'll worry about this team getting hot for a stretch in March later.

ParisHawk 5 years ago

So much in agreement with the letter and spirit of this post. I'm not a big "rivalry" guy but this game with MU and this 8th Conference title are huge. Forget March for a week or two.

manunitedjayhawk 5 years ago

Finally, some sense. Well said lad, well said.

Kye Clark 5 years ago

Addendum: Many posters have been critical of Self not developing the bench and/or over-playing the starters. Some have even called for him to sacrifice a regular season game at the expense of shuffling around some minutes. While Tharpe didn't see much action, KY played 16 "crunch-time" minutes. Basically this is what many of us have been calling for all year. Aside from EJ's 35 minutes, none of the starters over-extended themselves in this game. And Self did this while not having to sacrifice the win in the process.

As for Tharpe's miniscule 2 minutes of PT - his turnover was pretty bad. Even Fraschilla noticed it and pointed it out. The more I see him play, the more I agree with Self's decision to keep his minutes to a minimum. The guy just can't value the ball. I sure hope he corrects this by next year.

WhoSaidThat 5 years ago

EJ was real good last night! He can be better but it was good to see him play comfortably within his own game. Kinda a mute point but without EJ we don't win @A&M.

Timmay97 5 years ago

Anyone who insults Travis Releford (which I read a post above that did) is an absolute moron. Travis is the one person on this team that HASN'T disappeared in a game. Just because he doesn't score 20 points every game doesn't mean he's disappeared.

Travis knows his role and he's quite good at it. DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!! He's our best defender. But more importantly, he only takes HIGH PERCENTAGE shots. He rarely forces anything.

Robinson and Taylor are our best players and deserve a ton of credit.....but without Releford our perimeter defense would not be nearly as good!

Glad to have him back next year!!!

REHawk 5 years ago

Three tremendous experienced starters returning next season. Two bench players with lots of experience and a wealth of solid recruits coming in, not forgetting BenMac and Traylor who have practiced Bill Self Ball this semester. Wow!

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

REHawk..I agree: especially about Withey. He has made tremendous strides this season but, from a strength standpoint, he is nowhere near ready for the NBA grind.

I will be shocked if he doesn't return for his senior year [ unless they win the national championship this year, then all bets are off]

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

One big splash of cold water in all our collective faces>>>>>> the #1 seeds:

East - Syracuse Southeast - Kentucky Midwest - Michigan State West - Duke

You heard it here first. It isn't about the teams..it's about the dollars that can be generated. The good news, Kansas will be a #2 sent to St.Louis...... And Missouri???...go West, pussycats, go West!!

I can see this NCAA train coming down the track 10 miles away!!!

Kye Clark 5 years ago

I could care less about being a one seed really. I would rather be a #2 or #3 in the midwest than be a #1 seed out west. I am questioning your logic a bit...you don't think KU fans generate dollars? They travel as well as any team in the country, and Jayhawk Nation is everywhere.

I think right now the concern is to try and either hold the #1 seed in the Midwest if we have it, or overtake whoever it would go to right now. IF we win out, it's ours.

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

We will generate as many dollars as a #2 as opposed to a #1, but I'm with you on the #1 seed thing and heading to STL. It's been a curse the last several times.

The dollars I'm talking about are TV ratings dollars. Just a gut feeling based on how the NCAA has operated in the past 55 years.

Based on this season's expectations, a #1 seed would be epic!!!!!

rob4lb 5 years ago

Being a number one seed has not worked out that well for us the last two years. I would almost NOT have the target on my back.

FarSideHawk 5 years ago

I agree with icthawkfan316. I'm hoping for a #2 seed. I think this team will play much better than if they were #1.

Sandeep Kalburgie 5 years ago

Our chances with Julius Randle look slim :( Read his blogs listed on ESPN Recruiting section, and he has never mentioned Bill Self in any of his blogs. He may be leaning towards either Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina :(

Alohahawk 5 years ago

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. In his early blogs Randle put KU at or near the top. Lately, he seems enthralled with Coach K. If he heads to Kenstinky, it's the usual high caliber reload status Cal Lie Pari sells each year. I doubt N. Carolina has a chance because of Randle's impression with Coach K.

KU's only chance would seem to be the Peter's connection, but Randle seems to be more of a buddy with the guard (name?) Duke picked up from his school's team.

My hope is that KU can get Walker and Ennis. Or possibly Greene's buddy, Lewis (although he seems to have dropped a ways in the rankings). KU would only have two scholies left (with Frankamp and Greene already orally committed.), unless someone transfers or leaves for the league early. McLemore might be good enough to do so. Ellis would probably need a minimum of two years.

Jonathan Allison 5 years ago

And this makes me think about all of Tyshawn and to a lesser extent TRob's bench time in the second half.

I know that both players were in found trouble, and TRob's spot on the bench was well deserved based upon his attitude and his lazy play, but could coach Self have kept Tyshawn and TRob on the bench just a little longer to let Texas A&M make a tight game of it?

I highly doubt that Coach Self would do this because of how highly he values winning. I don't think that he'd intentionally point a win in danger just to prove a point. More likely he wanted to keep Tyshawn out of found trouble and he wanted to see how Teahan and Johnson would handle the bulk of the pressure.

TRob just looked like he really didn't care. I can't believe that he even attempted that little behind the back pass to Withey that worked out so poorly...

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

It is never a blessing to play like sh*t this late in the season. Believe me it would have been better to win by twenty.

Bville Hawk 5 years ago

Why should I believe you? Every game it's about collective team focus. Nothing should get a team more re-focused than almost blowing a 21 point lead in the 2nd half.

Jackster 5 years ago

What were we seeded in 2008 and which bracket/area did we start our play in? Sorry, my memory is shot....but I do remember the outcome!!

Kye Clark 5 years ago

We were a #1 seed. That year was the only time in tournament history that all 4 #1 seeds reached the Final Four. We were in the Midwest bracket, first two rounds in Omaha, sweet 16 & elite 8 games in Detroit.

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

I was late with my NCAA brackets that year, so I just filled in all favorites....won a ton of money. LOL, so much for basketball expertise!!!

Jeffery Barrett 5 years ago

POY poll up on cbssports.com home page. Vote for T-Rob!!!

Alohahawk 5 years ago

Mahalo for the notice. Just voted. TRob is trailing Davis by about 14% (3800 votes) and leads the third place guy by only a few % points.

Doesn't say if it's a daily repeat vote? Or limited to one time only votes.

Benjamin Piehler 5 years ago

Does the CBS POY have any impact on who actually receives it? (I voted anyway)

Steve Brown 5 years ago

Rather be #2 seed in Midwest St. Louis under Sparty than a #1 in West.

Hope the seeding co. doesn't reward us by a West #1 if we win out, #2 in Midwest much preferred.

If teams are going to double/triple TRob and get under his skin he must take solace in the wide open Elijah, Travis and Taylor and Jeff inside.TRob performs with his individual stats and/or the stats of the team that he improves when facing all the defensive attention.

Bring on the Tigers, we have a "going away" party planned for them. Watch out- they do know how to draw the apparant charge call, don't go forward into them. They fall back well and have practiced it.

jaycard 5 years ago

Going to change the subject here, my head is spinnng worse than it did after watching the Republican debate highlights last night. I took my son to the Wichita North game last week, simply to watch Conner Frankamp. Now I now how Coach K must have felt watching Bobby Hurley play after he signed with the Dukies. Simply put, the kid was unguardable, despite 2 and sometimes 3 guys attempting to stop him. At one point, it was if their defense was box and 1, with the box being on Conner. Ball handling skills reminded me of Pistol Pete, with the uncanny ability to stop on a dime, shoot, swish. Literally I was drooling when I left the arena. A little on the slight side, but his Dad has him on a stength program that he religiously completes after practice 4 times a week. He will only get bigger, stronger and better with the rigorous AAU campaign he will embark on after the season. Plus, as we all may or should know, Wichita high school basktball is as competitive as any place in the U.S. Man, I can't wait until he sports the crimson and blue. ROCK CHALK!!! Conn

Alohahawk 5 years ago

Love first hand reporting on KU's future recruits. Mahalo for the imfo. After that report on Perry Ellis's performance (in a loss) above, it does make the Jayhawk Nation anticipate the future.

As for the game against TAM, if the Jayhawks had never led by more than 10 or 12 points, most of the disappointments registered on this board today (and probably by Coach Self) would never have been voiced. Winning on the road by 8 points against a team that was voted at the start of the season as possible co-champs of the Big 12 would have seemed quite a feat back then. Everything is relative, and last night's final score disappointment was relative to just that. None of us were thrilled at the way the Jayhawks won. But we are all happy at the final results.

If we do that exact same thing against Mizzery, will we be unhappy? We'll probably feel just about the same. Except that it will be a win against our hated opponent. It will be a fitting end to a bitter rivalry. It will almost solidify KU's outright Big 12 championship. And it will move KU forwards in their quest for a high seed, perhaps even a one seed, in the Big Dance.

If KU makes it to the final four this season, but falls short of a championship, will this season be considered a disappointment?

Again, everything is relative. It gives one mixed emotions but either way, it would be a much happier ending to a season that started with far less expectations.

Benjamin Piehler 5 years ago

I'm not scared of Michigan Sate. Put us in their bracket.

REHawk 5 years ago

plasticJHawk, I had wondered if anyone else would have felt somewhat confounded by that behind the back pass Thomas tried to whip to Jeff. That misplay reminded me more than somewhat of the manner in which our two top players played near the conclusion of the Missouri game.

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

Don't get your hopes up fans. A big twelve win is all you are getting. This team will not go far in the tournament. There is a definite lack of leadership. Taylor goes comatose too often. He is a poor free throw shooter and don't bet on his threes falling. Robinson is definitely regressing and is not showing much basketball IQ. He looks immature and might be a little injured. He is definitely not the player of the year. We're not going to be able to count on any of our shooters. Sad but true. Beating MU might be the best thing in our future. That and winning the big twelve.

Benjamin Piehler 5 years ago

Not too shabby winning our 8th strait considering everyone at ESPN predicted preseason we would finish 3rd or 4th in the conference.

This is a rebuilding year... not an ideal situation. But if this is as "bad" as it gets, we're pretty spoiled/lucky. Bill Self is very talented at making the best out of what he's currently got.

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

First, I would tell you not to go to vegas it is a place for suckers only. If this team gets to the Elite8 I will think it's great. If they win it all I would be on cloud 9. This team has performed over expectations. I was just a little down with our last performance and my observations were a result of that. Yes, last years loss was a total bummer. But, they lost to a better team. No on this sight is an expert. we are all just expressing our opinions. I have often been totally wrong, like when I predicted the first Baylor game would not be pretty. It turned out to be beautiful. Thanks to you for your thoughtful response. At least you took the time to read my opinion. I am hopeful my posts can improve.

Kirk 5 years ago

+1 yep. The athletic thug model works to win basketball titles in a football conference, but falls apart against competitors who keep their heads and play smart in the big dance.

Basic stuff. Once adversity hits, these guys will do stupid sh!t and fold.

The conference titles are nice, but yeah.

wrwlumpy 5 years ago

Sometimes I also feel comatose with negativism and depression. You've taught me to live life with the same outlook. Aren't we being set up for a horrible ending. All of us on this blog agree with you. None of us should ever allow ourselves to get our hopes up. It's just not a way to live life. It will probably rain this weekend.

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

This is not the dream team. They have far exceeded expectations. They will get better the next two years. We have a lot to look forward to.

Robert Murphy 5 years ago

The honey bees are losing 30% of their colonies now for several years probably caused by pesticides. The polar ice caps are melting and much of the worlds coast lines are about to be under water with the displacement of millions of people. Kansas has a totally backward government who hate women and want to control their bodies. Father knows best. Kansas is building a coal power plant out west. Burning more fossil fuels. The pythons have killed off 90% of the living species in the Everglades in Florida. There are a bunch of idiots who think we need to start a war with Iran. Let's all just sit back and watch it unfold then we'll all be sane like you Ralster.

Alohahawk 5 years ago

There are always a few in the crowd who can't enjoy the ride. Even KU's "Dream Team of '08" wasn't expected to win it all. They were considered the worst team of the four #1 seeds. There were probably a few Jayhawk fans who were concerned that KU wouldn't even make the NCAA tournament this year. And look where KU is today.

If we all knew who was going to win each game before they are played, life would be pretty dull and emotionless. That is why the big dance is so inviting to watch. On any given night any team can be upset. It's never happened yet, but one of these years a one seed will lose their first game. It's only a matter of time. Although the odds are astronomical.

Watch out, Chicken Little! The sky is falling!

HawkKlaw 5 years ago

This game was UGLY (all caps) down the stretch. EJ finally broke out for an excellent first half, and I would argue that Withey was the reason we ended up winning the game. Let's be honest; TRob and TT are the two studs on this team, but without the emergence of Mr. W this team would be sunk. Also, see Releford's D.