Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Healthy A&M ready for KU

Kansas defenders Conner Teahan, center, and Elijah Johnson defend against a pass from Texas A&M guard Zach Kinsley during the second half on Monday, Jan. 23, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Texas A&M assistant basketball coach Kyle Keller, who worked on Kansas University’s staff the past three seasons, has taken great pride in watching the Jayhawks from afar during the 2011-12 campaign.

“Gosh, as well as coach (Bill Self) has them playing, obviously it’s been fun to watch those guys get better. I root for them every game except when we have to play them,” said Keller, former KU video coordinator, now in his first season as an assistant coach on Billy Kennedy’s A&M staff.

“It’s been exciting to watch,” Keller added of the progress of the Jayhawks, who take a 22-5 record (12-2 in the Big 12) into today’s 8 p.m. clash against the (13-13, 4-10) Aggies.

Keller, who had the title of video coordinator at KU, is not surprised the Jayhawks are in the hunt for an eighth consecutive Big 12 regular-season title.

“I think not only Coach (Self), but I think everybody on the staff — Kurtis (Townsend), Joe (Dooley), Danny (Manning), Hudy (trainer Andrea) — everybody that’s involved has done a great job,” Keller said of the squad perhaps exceeding expectations.

“I think Coach needed something like this. He is great when he’s got a chip or he’s got something to prove. He’s been dynamite. He’s unbelievable.”

The Aggies, who were actually picked as co-champs with KU in the preseason Big 12 coaches poll, have faced a lot of adversity in 2011-12.

In the preseason Kennedy was diagnosed with early stages of Parkinson’s disease. Junior forward Khris Middleton, who did not play against KU in the Aggies’ 64-54 loss to the Jayhawks on Jan. 23 in Allen Fieldhouse but will play tonight, had early-season knee surgery. Sophomore forward Kourtney Roberson suffered a broken ankle. Freshman guard Jamal Branch transferred to St. John’s. What’s more, senior guard Dash Harris injured his arch in the KU game and just now is returning to action. Harris was listed as questionable on Tuesday afternoon.

“I love working for coach Kennedy. You couldn’t ask for a better man. He’s a great coach,” Keller said of Kennedy, who came to A&M after five seasons as head coach at Murray State.

“Being reunited with (assistant) Glynn Cyprien, we worked at Oklahoma State when we had a lot of success. The administration has been great. It’s been great here — 81 degrees in mid-January. My family ... we love it. The people have been so receptive and kind to us. The season hasn’t gone the way we’d like it to go, but we’re excited about the opportunities we have (coming up),” Keller added.

A&M has signed a strong recruiting class headed by top 100 prospects J’Mychal Reese and Alex Caruso.

Nobody’s giving up on the remainder of this season. A&M is 11-5 at home (3-4 in the league), including Saturday’s 71-62 loss to Missouri.

“I’m going to tell our guys today it’s an exciting time. You’ve got to enjoy playing two great teams back to back,” Kennedy said on Monday. “We competed well at Kansas. They’ve been great on the road. It’s why they’ve been conference champs for several years. We’ll have to play really well to give us a chance, but we’ve been playing well at home.

“I have great respect for Kansas, the tradition of their program and what Bill has done there. Obviously I hired a guy from their program in Kyle Keller. This is a great opportunity for us to have a special moment, to get a win. Of course we’ll have to play great basketball and them not so well. I thought Missouri played well against us. We have to get some breaks at some point.”

Big game looms: Self realizes it’s possible the Jayhawks could be looking past tonight’s game in anticipation of Saturday’s home rematch against Missouri.

“I guess human nature you could do that,” said Self, who quickly warns that such a mindset could cost the Jayhawks an eighth-straight Big 12 title. “If you work your tail off all year long to put yourself in a good position, how can you look past anybody when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially a team that was preseason pick to win the league, that’s playing well at home?

“Middleton (Khris, 6-7 junior, North Charleston, S.C.) is back (from injury) and we don’t know if Dash is going to play or not. He’s one of the best defensive guards in our league. A&M can give anybody problems, including us. We’re going to have to play one of the better games we’ve played all year. Absolutely to date it’s the biggest game we’ve played. A lot of people will talk about the second game of our week. To me, that’s not even worth mentioning because for us to have the aspirations we do to win the league, we need to take care of business in College Station.”

First meeting: Guard Elston Turner scored 24 points (7-18 shooting, 4-8 threes) with six rebounds, four assists in 39 minutes versus KU in the first game. Forward David Loubeau chipped in 15 points with seven boards. Thomas Robinson scored 18 points with 10 boards and five turnovers and four blocks. Jeff Withey had 10 points with eight blocks and Tyshawn Taylor 17 points for KU.

“We had all kinds of problems with them the first time, and Middleton didn’t play and Dash got hurt right before halftime,” Self said. “They are healthier than they have been all year.”

Noted KU senior guard Taylor: “They are a good defensive team (holding KU to 42.6 percent shooting first meeting; 4-20 from three). They always give us trouble when we play them. They muddy it up and sag in the paint. They don’t let you get open shots. We have to work the ball and get it rotated a couple times before we attack.”

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 10 months ago

I predict the Missouri game will break the 114 db record. My ears hurt just thinking about it.

ljmhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

um it's already been broken....the KSU game last year hit 118

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't forget KU's 23-21 nailbiter victory over Mizzou on March 6th 1934. My oh my was Hoch Auditorium rocking that day!

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw an article a wile back that said it got up to 120 when Langford hit the game winner vs GT. even tho I think the loudest I have ever heard it was the three by Vaughn to beat Indiana. I was only around 8 or 9 years old. they didn't measure the decibels back then but if they did I think that would have been the loudest.

frompekka2sasha 2 years, 10 months ago

I attended both games live but I think the Indiana game was louder. However the GT was so intense. It was like prize fighters taking massive alternating shots to each other's faces. The crowd started out so quiet and they were playing an awful game. Had floor seats for this one and even the deadbeats erupted during the comeback! When me and my buddy got back to Jefferson's we barely said a word. It was like we had actually played in the game and we were totally exhausted.

I was in the student's section for Indiana and remember stepping on beer cans every time the mosh pit would force you off the bleachers. Everyone had gathered up confetti from the ground and when Jacque hit the 3 the celebration was crazy.

Foreshadowing---the confetti was tame compared to what showered the court in San Antonio and I knew this day would come while watching the Indiana game. Luckily I met some nice UNC fans who sold me 10th row floor seats to witness it all. Holy freaking schnikes...I love KU so much!!! I've been very blessed to see the games that I've seen but the streak ends on Saturday cuz tickets are too expensive.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 10 months ago

I was at that GT game. WOW! The Oklahoma State game when John Lucas missed the 3 at the buzzer was loud, too! After the game he kept shooting that shot at the top of the key, nailing it like 5 times in a row.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

Was that the OSU game that they gave out T-shirts? That game was rockin'. Neither team could miss. I love a loud Allen Fieldhouse! What makes it great is that it is all crowd noise not pumped in artificial junk.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't think they gave out t-shirts. I do think they gave out pennants though.

mr_jhawk4477 2 years, 10 months ago

That GT game and the OSU game were the same year. The Missouri games the last couple years have been pretty great but I still think that those two games against GT and OSU were the loudest most intense games I've been to in the fieldhouse. I believe the shot they show in the pregame video of Simien celebrating was after the Ok State game that year, he was incredible that day I think he had close to 30.

Justin LoBurgio 2 years, 10 months ago

Jacques 360 layup in '95 against UCLA is up there too.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 10 months ago

My first ever game in AFH was Vaughn's 3 against IU. I've never been the same since!

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

The loudest I've ever heard AFH was actually in a KU loss. I believe it was in the spring of '85. Calvin Thompson hit a 25-footer at the buzzer to tie a great Oklahoma team and send the game into OT. Unfortunately KU ran out of gas at that point and ended up losing by 10. But I'll never forget the sound when Calvin hit that shot.

It's a shame they didn't have 3-pointers in those days or KU would have blown them out, with as great as CT and Ron Kellogg were from the outside. (The 3-pointers started in '87. KU almost certainly would have won the championship in '86 if they had just started counting threes one year earlier.)

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

that was the loudest in my AFH history and the boos when Billy Tubbs came out on court and cut down our nets.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

Loudest I ever heard Allen was when Boschee hit the last second three to beat Colorado back in like 1998 or 1999.

Gah I sound like an old geezer.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 10 months ago

There have been a couple incredibly loud ones I've been to. The Texas game against Durant a few years ago and also an Oklahoma game from around the same time period, we were down something like 16 in the second half and came back to win it by 1 or 2. I don't truly remember it because i was only 5 years old but when we played Kentucky in 1989 and beat them 150-95, my dad had to remove me from the game because I was crying too much. If I were in that situation, I would not leave the game for my child.

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah, I was there at the Indiana game, that was incredible!

RockChalk1225 2 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking about how insane it is going to be the other day. Family has had season tickets since 1990 and I think the loudest I ever heard it was when Collison hit the 3 to go ahead of Texas in his monster game. Another one that was out of control, was the second half against UCLA about 17 years ago or so. They had us down 15 at half and we outscored them something like 60-30 and ended up winning by 15. Dont think we set down the whole second half Lets get A/M tonight and them get stupid Saturday against Missoury. Rock Chalk

Ron Prichard 2 years, 10 months ago

This will date me but I was a student when OSU had Byron Houston in the early 90's. I remember camping out for one of the OSU games (90, 91, 92?), being hung over and exhausted before the game even started, and then thinking my head would explode it was so loud. That is probably the loudest I personally remember AFH.

diegohawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Great memory. That was my frosh year and I had seats behind basket in the student section. I lost my voice in that game as did a couple of my friends. That was when legitimate body passing was going on. Don't know if they do it like they use to but guys would travel a good hundred feet or so back in the day.

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 10 months ago

It's gonna be amazing. I can hardly wait! I hope they crank the pregame video way up. Lately they've been turning it down due to complaints about the volume. I hope we set the tone early by cranking it WAY up.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!!!! WE ARE KANSAS!!!!!!!!!

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

Look around and see how many people old and young who have their ears covered during the video. You wouldn't notice in the student section, but that age of a kid is bullet proof. It just sucks being half deaf later in life.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

Turn up the video, but not to the point the sound distorts like the last time I was there. The crowd is awesome, the video is a good way to pump up the crowd and team, but don't make the Fieldhouse sound like a nba arena with distorted, too loud noise.

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

It also got extremely loud when Wilt Chamberlain came back in the late 1990s. AFH just about exploded that day.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

That was awesome. The outpouring of love for Wilt was excellent and unexpected by him. I was extremely happy he was able to make it back to the Fieldhouse before he passed. Wilt needed to know all was OK.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

the loudest I ever heard was a game I've repressed until now:

Standing room only...KState beat us in the Field House right after we had become number 1 in the polls...might have been richard scott's senior year...very ugly vibes...I remember thinking I was glad I was standing close to an exit.

addlime 2 years, 10 months ago

It will only get that loud on Saturday if the hawks are able to win tonight. Rock Chalk

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Let me give you youngsters a little history lesson. When a heavily knee braced Archie Marshall walked onto the floor against Okie State on his senior night it was so loud the cheers could be heard in Texas!

The IU and UCLA games are right up there and there was also a game against Jason Kidd's Cal team that was crazy.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Ohhhh forgot about that one.I wasn't around for Archie but I talked to Max about it a couple if years ago and that was one of the moments that stuck out to him.

Brandon Snook 2 years, 10 months ago

I remember watching the Cal game with my dad when I was a youngster in Dallas (it was on a delay...oh the days before a million sports channels). I remember the loudness and I knew that someday I'd want to be a part of that.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Take care of business today and cut the nets down Saturday. Sweet vengeance!!

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 10 months ago

Even with a win on Saturday we could still lose the conference. There will be no net cutting when we take it to MIZZWHO on Sat.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Up two games with two games to go. That means we would clinch a share of the title and our 8th straight. Does that help you with the Math?

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Win tonight AND Saturday and we are guaranteed a share of an 8th straight title. No need to cut the nets down until the road win at Oklahoma State for an outright title.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

We are guaranteed a share of the title.

If Missouri would win their last two games and we would lose our last two games [highly unlikely, we never lose on Senior Night], then we would share with Misery.

We want it all!!!

rob4lb 2 years, 10 months ago

Clinch a tie if we win the next two games. We would be up by two games on MU with two games to play.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

We would own a share. Bill self has cut them down before in situations like this.

Craig Lang 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't think Self will do that after the Mizzou game. I am sure he wants to give the team motivation to win the last two games. Even assuming we do win tonight and Saturday (which we obviously cannot take for granted), those last two games plus the Big 12 tourney could be the difference between a good 1-seed or a weak 2-seed in the NCAA tourney.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

He did it last year or two years ago. I can't remember which but he said it was B/C he wanted to do it in front of the home croud. So he has done it before and personally I think F-MU tahe it down. Pluss i think HCBS would rather take down the nets after gaining a share against MU than taking them down at the school he graduated from.

Nick Cole 2 years, 10 months ago

If I recall, he did it at home b/c we didn't have any more home games left after we clinched a share of the title. If we win tonight and Saturday, we clinch a share but still have our final home game against Texas. I think Self would wait until that game. Just my 2 cents.

PurePierce 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey mizzery, don't worry, you won't have to play KSU when you get to the suc.

bradh 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm just afraid that with the MU loss our team will lose focus tonight. I sure hope not, because I think the AtM game will be a battle now that they have everyone back.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 10 months ago

mu's loss should make the team all the more focused - losses happen, especially to the less prepared.

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

Read some very interesting articles last night about "world wide Wes". He was posted up behind the Kentucky bench last night and that's what got me curious. Everyone seems to know that he is the money distributor and the man that filters the kids from AAU to college to agents. The parts I found most interesting were how coach k didn't want anything to do with him until the Olympics when he needed Wes' help getting players, after that coach k and him are now friends and coach k's recruiting has picked up. There are also some coaches who have declared they want nothing to do with this guy and ironically their recruiting is suffering except one. Self has publicly declared he doesn't condone Wes' actions and what he does. From what I gather the only thing that keeps Self ok with this guy is that self is friends with Calipari and cal shockingly enough doesn't want to hurt selfs career. All that being said I think we do have one of the class acts in all of sports who has spoiled us with wins. I am just glad self is doing it the right way. Again this is all just stuff I read and nothing to do with A&M.

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 10 months ago

No articles or even mention of the defeat of the mizlosers by the cats?!?! Strange......

Brak 2 years, 10 months ago

Yea I thought that was strange too, I guess Keegan is running a little behind trying to track down a crave case from White Castle.

Tom Pritchard 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey Brak..Thought you were talking about Gary Bedore,seems like every time he tweets it is about food..

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

A little off topic, but is it just me or does it look like the ball in the photo has a dent on the "W" of the word Wilson?

Anyway, kudos to KSU, who certainly did their part to send MU to the SEC in proper fashion in both football and basketball.

Looking for the Hawks to maintain their focus on the stretch run!

SDSurferFan 2 years, 10 months ago

Lol. This may be a first. Going to a ex-video coordinator for a 'Talk about how great Ku is' article.

I'm like the next guy. Love reading about the team. I just think these articles show a severe lack of originality. I am guessing there is proably 1/week. Then again, I guess there is so much they can write each day about a college bball team.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

The problem is we fans scour this site like vultures and devour every bit of text typed into the page. Because of this, they can get away with articles like this...this is basically a duplicate of the Kyle Keller article written before the first KUvsA&M game.

Mike Hart 2 years, 10 months ago

You guys better quit focusing on Mizzou and worry about beating a finally healthy A&M team... AT College Station.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Which guys? Us fans? Do we make a difference if we're looking ahead? The players yes, but goodness, every one of us could say can't wait to beat Misery Saturday and virtually clinch the conference and it wouldn't make a difference.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

You don't know much about karma do you??!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't she on some sitcom a few years ago married to some square?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't she the one who always wore hats with plastic fruit on them in the 40's??

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

Isn't there some dirty book that starts with a word like that?

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

Karma comes back on you not your team. Karma is a load of ... If karma was real would Roy Williams have had success at North Carolina?

Ben Kane 2 years, 10 months ago

TRob needs a monster game tonight to bolster the hype going in to saturday and re-ignite the momentum he has lost on the national scale for POY.

Marc Frey 2 years, 10 months ago

Focus on A and M. We can not win the conference tonight so just win and move on. Play our game and we will win by 15.

GeoHawk15 2 years, 10 months ago

Not that Coach Self needs outside help, but I hope he gives Frank Martin a call for some insider tips against Misery. At the very least, study tape of those games. KSU has certainly figured out the 4 guard lineup!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

I rarely try to critique the articles here .. most are very good. This is about the headline as it relates to the article. The headline says "Healthy A&M ready for KU." The main bulk of the article relates to some prior video coordinator. Another small portion states that Middleton is back but Self is quoted as not know if Dash Harris will be back. Another reference to A&M being "healthier" than they have been all year, but that again tells us nothing about how much Middleton is expected to play (start?), or if Harris will play.

Really, that's what many of us are interested in. Yet the article doesn't expand on how much either might play, or provide any real info.

I get that the author may not write the headline. But how in the world is there any basis for that declaration in the headline? Doesn't come close to fitting the written story.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

I got a feeling........

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

That's what she said . . . but she always was the excitable type.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I've a feeling, too. Uh-oh. Actually, I feel more positive about the Mizzou game Saturday than I do our chances of winning both the away games in this rough 6 day span. Logic would seem to proclaim that we have come way too far already, considering the limited bench and good fortune not to lose a starter to injury or foul trouble in a hardfought league contest. Our 5 cylinder machine usually seems to play with one cylinder sputtering out of sync. Considering Withey's emergence, perhaps we can throw a wrench into teams who have studied previous matchups with us this season, and think they can re-tune their defenses to stop our attack. The thing which Bill Self has going for him with this squad, he fields tremendously athletic starters, any one or five of whom might step up mightily on given occasions. If we survive this 6 day stretch without a loss, how can Bill Self not leap to the top for consideration for national COY? And, as jaybate asserts, our entire starting lineup not be considered for first string league accolades in March.

april28 2 years, 10 months ago

If we win it outright, I agree, Self would have to be a top candidate for coach of the year.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 10 months ago

I know we pulled away late, but the score in the picture above is what worries me. Down 40-38 with 13:29 to go in the second half. In AFH! If we don't come ready to play tonight, we can very easily come away with a L.

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

No mention of it but Coach Larry Brown is on the trip with our hawks.

MizzouBest 2 years, 10 months ago

Well Kansas,.....looks like you will win another Big 12. Anything could happen still.....but odds are aginst us now that's for sure.

I still have hope we could win the Big 12 Tourney.....we will see.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

That would mean K-state beats I-state and KU to make the final game – since 4&5 seeds will be in the same half of the bracket as #1. Of course, I'm assuming KU is top seed, MU and Baylor 2 and 3, but none of that is etched in stone yet.

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, it's not over yet. I just hope that my Jayhawks don't get complacent. Regardless, it has been a great race this year.

I honestly did not expect either of our teams to be as good as what they have shown so far. I figured that KU would end up somewhere between 1st and 5th in the Big 12 standings, and MU probably 3rd or 4th. I based this on KU's limited depth and MU's limited height plus a new coach.

I think that KU, KSU, and MU have about equal shots of winning the tourney with ISU next in line. I would like to put Baylor in that category, but I just can't with their collapses against KU and MU.

Sally Presson 2 years, 10 months ago

Attack is the code word for the next games!!! We have to stay focused guys for tonight then move on to MU. One game at a time. Bring your very best "A" game to College Station then send MU packing with a loss in Allen Fieldhouse. Both of these games are so big, but we can do it, I know we can!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

1] "Keller said of this squad perhaps exceeding expectations." This may be the understatement of the year...unless you count "North Korea provides some vacationing challenges!!"

2] Please keep TAM Coach Kennedy in your prayers...he's facing a foe much more formidable than Kansas.

3] Note to HCBS. Check the MU tape and watch how the KSU guards forced the action...no walking the ball up. And our guys are twice as fast!!

4] I like the fact we're all worried about this game. Kansas usually dominates league "trap games." [I don't count @ ISU or MU..we knew those would be wars]

5] Coach Self should be considered for COY honors right now!! No coach in America has lost so much and still done so much working with relatively so little.

6] Remember, they didn't get Jeff Withey, superstar, last time. "The Wall" will be positioned tonight. [Hey, I like that...Jeff "The Wall" Withey!!]

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

I love Self too and think he should be up for COY, but on point 5. Butler being in back to back final games with absolutely nobody on the team is more impressive in my book. The regular season wins are shallow without some measure of post season success. (And yes I would take one NC over 4 NC runner ups.) But to say KU lacks talent is incorrect. All five starters were ranked in the top 100 recruits as HS seniors. Four of them in the top 50 and the other has started four years. You could make the argument that Self has done the most with the least known talent in America or least experienced lineup, but not least talented.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree...out of the top 5 , we have 3 likely NBA caliber players. Respectfully, I was referring to the almost total lack of a bench.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

I'll give you that any day of the week. Out bench production is lacking, but on the positive side the starting 5 have a lot of experience working together! And with very few breathers.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

I like "blockhead" as the perfect nickname for Withey, in that it's turned around as a term of endearment.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

On your point 5) – it isn't a matter having 'little' to work with as it is having 'few' to work with. Doing as well as HCBS has with only 6 guys you can trust is phenomenal, but that's because those six are so phenomenal.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Is that "stuff" meant as a no pun intended moment? :-}

RCJHGKU!!! (All caps)

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

I guess if one were truly demented, he could find scatology in the Sermon on the Mount.

rockchalker5 2 years, 10 months ago

Senior night for Collison, Hinrich and company vs Texas was a memorable one. Believe Collison had a 20-20 game, and I remember Dick Vitale giving him a standing O courtside. Gives me the chills thinking about it.

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 10 months ago

Totally agree. Probably KY bias. When it comes down to it, T-Rob will win it. I predict commanding performances by both T-Rob and Withey on Sat will end any Davis for POY discussion.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

As I posted elsewhere, Davis' FG percentage is something like 10 points higher than Robinson's. You have to give Davis some credit for that.

Not that I don't think Robinson should still be POY, I'm just saying that it's not just about the blocks with Davis.

2 years, 10 months ago

Awesome story. Thanks for the link, brooksmd.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, it is – even though it flirts with the line between maudlin and compassionate.

Thomas made remarkable strides toward manhood in a shorter time than anyone should be allowed, but he isn't finished. Case in point – trying her hand at basketball should be all about Jayla, not how the over-competitive big brother could handle her success or lack of it.

Of course, the same misgivings apply to 75% (my estimate) of the parents we all know.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 10 months ago

Here is a funny GIF I found... I am ready for the discussion board for tonights game!!!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

Rather than read disjointed articles about upcoming games, I would love to see KUSports.com have someone take on the travesty that is occuring in the NPOY race...

In the last 3-4 weeks, Robinson's status as NPOY "favorite" has take a severe hit, as the talking heads at ESPN have latched onto Anthony Davis, having been suckered in by his shot-blocking ability in an award that is intended to go to the player who has the best OVERALL season.

For starters, you have Jason King releasing his weekly Wooden Award ballot, and having Anthony Davis at the top:

But more concerning to me is an article that is also being updated weekly (again by Jason King) that shows a "straw poll" for the NPOY award. Rather than it being the uninformed opinion of a single writer, it's a collection of how likely voters would cast their vote if the ballots were due today. In the first couple articles, Robinson had a COMMANDING lead over the next closest player, who wasn't even Anthony Davis at the time. In the most recent update (last week), Robinson still has a fairly decent lead, but Davis has come on very strong, flying all the way up to 2nd place, and stealing a good number of Robinson's 1st-place votes in the process.

I think it's time that KU fans do two things:

1) Start coming to terms with the fact that Anthony Davis very well might steal the NPOY award right out from under its rightful recipient on account of the fact that he plays for media darling Kentucky.

2) Do our best to wage an all-out WAR in the media and on message boards supporting Robinson for the award that is rightfully his. Robinson is the first focus of EVERY opponent we play and still is putting up better numbers than Davis, who is the fifth option on his own team (Usage Percentage). Davis' stat line is almost identical (14 ppg, 9 rpg, 5 bpg, 1 spg) to the stat line of Jarvis Varnado in 2010, and as you may recall, Varnado was nowhere near the NPOY discussion that year. This is a case of the media falling in love with a player based on a very limited slice of the overall pie--in this case, Davis' blocking ability.

It would be nice if KU would send out info sheets to sportswriters and other media types providing information like the NPOY ratings that Ken Pomeroy tracks. In those ratings, Robinson is a clear first place with a score of .548. Second place is Draymond Green at .517.

Where is Anthony Davis, you ask?

FIFTH place, with a score of .450.

But at this point, the Davis For POY snowball is already on the top of the mountain, and rapidly gaining mass as it careens down the slopes, accumulating more ignorant snow. I guess you could say that the NPOY race is being "snowed over" by ignorance. Pure, white ignorance.

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Both Kansas as a team and Kansas players will always be at a disadvantage in this regard. ALWAYS. Sports media is in love and have school-girl crushes on east coast teams.....and to a lesser extent Kentucky. The only hope of changing that would be a dynasty of KU national titles.

GeoHawk15 2 years, 10 months ago

I too find Davis' sudden rise to the top of the POY polls a little ridiculous. Granted the guy is crazy talented, he not nearly as complete a player as TRob. Since when did blocking a lot of shots make you POY? With that logic, why hasn't Withey received some attention?

As for FG%, most of Davis' points come from dunks and put-backs. So yeah, it's gonna be high. I'd like to see Davis step out and pop at 15' jumper or drive from the top of the key like TRob has shown he can do. It the total package ESPN!

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 10 months ago

Great Read!

"When asked recently what he would do when he makes it in the NBA, Robinson paused for a long time, exhaled loudly and thought hard.

"Wow, that's a tough question,' he said. 'Wow. I guess … I don't know, I guess, I'd take my little sister out to dinner and then probably renew the stone on my mother's grave, get her a nicer one.'"

Jocelyn Kennedy 2 years, 10 months ago

Probably not what most future NBA stars consider doing first with their influx of cash. Just as proud of him as if he were my own.

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

I see a lot of talk on here about the upcoming MU game. Some of you are just all "giddy" and think that game is going to be a blowout and will be a skip through Candyland.

Well....you need to wake up. Forget the rivalry and realize that it is going to be an extremely tough game against a very good team. KU had better bring their best.....because that's what it's going to take to beat MU.

Throw out all your cries for "revenge" and "MU sucks".......this is going to be a tough game to win. I hope we do.......but you had better not take a win over MU for granted. I can assure you that MU is planning on coming to KU and winning.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

It's OK to be giddy, its a huge game. I'm not sure anyone expects Mizzou to play not to win either.

It won't be a blowout, whoever wins. It's going to be alot of fun; this weekend can't come fast enough!

theend 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh I am certainly looking forward to it. I just dont want everyone being to over-confident. We are so used to beating up on MU at home. But this MU team is so much better than the ones the last few years. They are very capable of winning at AFH. I just want KU to take care of business and not get too wrapped up in all the other stuff.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

theend...totally agree and the loss to KSU makes them even more dangerous. They are in a tough spot and need a win a lot more than Kansas does.[Assuming we win tonight, of course]

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

Anybody else notice it took a Bill Self recruited player to finally take down Jeremy Lin?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 10 months ago

theend, I hear you, but at the same time KU dominated MU on their home court if not for the refs. Is MU a good team sure, very good, maybe pushing it. They've managed to squeeze out some tight wins, been whooped by KSU twice, have no business in the title hunt with KU this year. Is it CBB and anything can happen, sure, KU is favored by 9.5 tonight, could they lose, sure. Could they lose at OSU, sure. Anything always could happen, but bottom line is KU is much better than Missery and the likelihood is KU will slaughter them in AFH. It is the only game that really matters at this point, KU can drop any other single game and still win the conf title outright. A loss to MU puts them probably in 2nd place in the conference. Considering this team already beat MU and got jobbed, I don't think any of us understand the intensity they are going to bring on Saturday. I don't think I've ever wanted a game as bad as these Jayhawks are going to want that one.

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

Phoghorn has issued a Trap Game Watch effective from 8 pm to 10 pm this evening for College Station, Texas. This watch could be extended should multiple overtimes develop. Please be careful, Jayhawks!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

I expect it to be in effect on the 27th as well!

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. Gallagher-Iba Arena is always tough for KU.

Jackster 2 years, 10 months ago

I hope Withey has a double double tonight and frees up space for T-Rob to do his thing. I like our chances to win out but the OSU game concerns me the most. It is just a tough place to win.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Saw the discussion above on cutting down the nets Saturday .. assuming we win tonight and Saturday, I would cut those nets down without giving it a second thought. A tie, at worst, would be a real tie .. splitting with MU. Would get some TV time possibly. No better time. Maybe we could hang one of the nets on the side view mirror of the MU team bus.

If . if we take care of business.

Jeremy Caudle 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure this is off subject but I'm gonna be at my girls place tonight and she doesn't have cable so I need a link online to watch. We don't have espn 3 in our area either. I know it's been posted a million times but another link would be great. I remember there were a few folks here that stream the games. Thanks and Go Jayhawks!!

RockChalk26 2 years, 10 months ago

Who is your pick to click in tonight's game?

I'm going with EJ

Jeremy Caudle 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the links!

My hawk to rock is gonna have to be Travis tonight. I think he is due for another big game. Plus, I can't take the easy way out and pick either T Rob or TT!

JayDocMD 2 years, 10 months ago

Recruiting update:

Heard that Semi Ojeleye, 4 star SF (class of 2013) from Ottawa, KS is coming for the Mizzery game. Rumor was that he wasn't interested in KU because his family was a "K-State family." I'm not buying that - i.e. Brandon Rush and BMac's families = Mizzery families

Not sure about Chris Walker (13) coming. He was scheduled to come - then backed out b/o HS tourney. But his HS team lost yesterday, so maybe the visit is on again? Not sure. Also Tony Parker (2012) was rumored to come but it didn't sound like a sure thing.

Unsigned recruits also coming: Shabazz (12), JaKarr Sampson (12), Committed recruits coming: Connor Frankamp (13), Brannen Greene (13), Perry Ellis (12)

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Mahalo for the updates. Would really be nice to have everyone there who originally said that they would. 2013 recruiting is looking good to start with.

This summer's recruiting should be as intense as HCBS has ever had while at KU. What with the previous year's fiasco.

Davoud Maha 2 years, 10 months ago

One win Over Mizzu and it is all over

Not only we get revenge, we will win Big 12, We get the last Win over Mizzou, We get the #1 seed, and Mizzou, if lucky will get #2. They may even get to #3 seed.

We need a BLOW OUT baby!! Get revenge of a life time.