Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jayhawks vow: First things first

Kansas University basketball veterans Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson braced themselves for a barrage of questions from a larger-than-normal contingent of media members before practice Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We kind of prepared ourselves when we walked out here. We figured it’d be all Missouri questions,” Taylor, KU’s senior point guard, said amid a backdrop of about a hundred students representing groups camping out for Saturday’s 3 p.m. home game against Missouri.

“It’s understandable. Everybody is excited about it. We’ve got to take care of business Wednesday. I’m thinking about it, too, but I can’t look past Texas A&M at all. They are a good team that could definitely beat us,” Taylor added.

The Jayhawk duo actually fielded plenty of questions about A&M on Monday.

KU (22-5 overall, 12-2 Big 12), which is tied for first place in the Big 12 with Missouri, meets the Aggies (13-13, 4-10) at 8 p.m. Wednesday at Reed Arena in College Station.

Taylor, who recently told coach Bill Self he’d been a bit worn down, says he’s energized for the pre-Missouri match-up against the Aggies.

“That was good. I think I needed that,” Taylor said of playing just 27 minutes in Saturday’s 83-50 rout of Texas Tech. “We had a day off after that, too. That helped. I feel good now. I’m a little nicked up, a little banged up like any player this time of the season. It’s been a long season. I’ve played a lot of minutes. We get after it at practice. There’s a lot of wear and tear on the body, but I feel good. I’m excited. This is a really big week for us.”

Senior Khris Middleton, a 6-foot-7, 217-pound junior forward who didn’t play in the Aggies’ 64-54 loss to KU on Jan. 23 because of a knee injury, will play Wednesday. Dash Harris, a 6-1 senior from Los Angeles who suffered an arch injury in the KU game and hasn’t played since, returned to practice Friday.

“I have no clue. I’ve given 17 updates this year and been wrong every time,” A&M coach Billy Kennedy said. “He’s been cleared to practice. He’s not made it through an entire practice.”

T-shirts: Self on Monday’s “Hawk Talk” radio show invited fans to purchase “Kansas Operation: Victory” T-shirts. The shirts, being sold at kustore.com according to the website, “celebrates the rich tradition of Jayhawks victories over Missouri since 1854.”

“We will sell a lot of them — 15,000, 20,000 of them. We sold 8,000 last week,” Self said. “The profits we make through the athletic department will go to charities in our area that promote relief for our soldiers who have given so much overseas and in combat, people that have sacrificed so much for us. If you want to wear blue to the game, wear that one. It’d be cool.

“It’s something we thought we could do three weeks ago to raise funds for an important cause and give our fans a shirt to like. This is obviously the last time,” he added, referring to the end of the Border War rivalry’s coming to an end after this season.

Morris recalled: Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey announced Monday that former KU forward Marcus Morris has been recalled from NBA Development League partner Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Morris, the 14th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, averaged 22.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.4 steals in the 10 games he played with Rio Grande Valley.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

Think with Withey having more impact in the post....A&M will struggle to score...especially if their perimeter shots aren't falling. We've improved more than they have since our first meeting.

A&M will have some scoring droughts...and think we'll win by at least 12.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 10 months ago

Is it just me or does everyone else get nervous about each upcoming game? We get everyone's best shot and to me, that's what makes each game difficult...

Sam Brockert 2 years, 10 months ago

it is NOT just you. I ALWAYS get nervous.

MDHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I tend to get pretty nervous as well.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

It's not me. I always believe that the Jayhawks are going to win. Honestly. I've filled out an NCAA bracket for the last 25 years seriously thinking that KU is going to win it all.

Alex Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

I tend to be a pessimist when I go into games so that my expectations are only met or exceeded :)

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

That only wins the office pool twice in 25 years, but I like the attitude!

Kent Wells 2 years, 10 months ago

Stupidmichael gets scared. I remember LawIV, so I'm nervous too. Especially with MU on the horizon.

TRUEBLUEKU 2 years, 10 months ago

It is looking like Tony Parker won't come and there is still a playoff game to be played that will decide if Walker comes, but there will still be a load of talent watching that Mizzou game. I know players can't look ahead, but I sure am. http://isportsweb.com/2012/02/20/kansas-jayhawks-once-in-a-lifetime-recruiting-trip/

Joe Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

Walker is waiting for Cal to offer. He's all uk unless The Silver Tongued Saint passes and then he may pick KU.

yates33333 2 years, 10 months ago

dannyboy4hawks. You aren't normal if you aren't worried. Some teams blow away weaker opponents regularly, but KU isn't one of those teams. We somehow always seem to struggle and on rare occasions lose. The only teams we blast consistently are Pittsburg State, Washburn, and Hays. I guess they like the pay day and, unlike football, no one seems to get physically damaged.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

We have a good record against Emporia St. as well, and TTech wasn't much threat. Too bad we didn't have some Pac12 games instead of Duke & Davidson..

Mike Hart 2 years, 10 months ago

Wouldn't exactly call A&M a "weaker" category team. This was, after all, the pick of many to win Big 12 this year. They have had injuries this year that have made their disappointing season much worse.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

With Middleton back, and Dash Harris probably playing significant minutes, we are facing a team which is much stronger than its 4-10 conference record would indicate. Of our 3 game schedule in the next 6 days, I view the Okie State contest Monday as the trap game. Gotta win tomorrow and Saturday...and stay out of legweary overtimes. That said, the one game at a time focus is the only way to face this grueling six days. We can't be playing Chase the Tiger come Saturday. That game has to be a tie-beaking matchup.

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

OK State is always a tough road game. Of the games left, I think it will be the biggest opportunity for a loss.

Alex Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. I'm more nervous about the Ok State game than any of them.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

You quote John Wooden? Half these players don't even know John Wooden. Sad.

It is a terrific quote. One that every player, at any age, in any sport, should hear.

Unfortunately, the current basketball "culture" .. read that how you will, and your first reading is probably the right reading as it is in the forefront of your mind .. is all about the self-promotion, me first mentality.

It is borne from an inner city culture that lacks morality, lacks parental guidance (particularly from fathers in the home, or even in a kid's life), and lacks direction. It is sad. It has crept into every aspect of our life. It is not only sad, but it is pathetic.

planojayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Really? Blame all of our social ills and sins on the inner city folks?

I am sure the high society folks are all pure angels!

NotWiller 2 years, 10 months ago

Nothing wakes me up like a nice, hot cup of "blame the victim."

By the way, the most abused drugs today are prescription meds. Better go check your medicine cabinet suburbanites, just in case some kind of sad, pathetic stuff's going on in your neighborhood.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Your comments are insensitive and elitist (rather apt given what your pseudonym calls to mind). Clearly, in a country where 20 percent of our income goes to less than 1 percent of the population, it's the 'directionless, fatherless' youth from the inner city that are undoing our social fabric. Give me a break. Those who come from mean streets with nothing but a hunger to carve out a name for themselves are the same ones who bring the game to life, who infuse it with energy, passion, and a contagious sense of urgency. They make the game what it is. I doubt John Wooden would blame the 'inner city culture' for whatever fabricated social ills you're referring to.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

The "inner-city" culture is born from cast-offs of High Elite Major culture. It is sad, indeed. HEM culture throws them out, and then spits on them.

gchawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Define bigot, or better yet, look it up in the dictionary. You had a great post earlier, then you had to lower yourself with this.

Joe Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

Does John Calipari read the KU boards?

Here's a John Calipari quote:

“'Tis my opinion every man cheats in his own way, and he is only honest who is not discovered”

Joe Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

Naw, even I can't lie about the man. He never said this at all.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I generally enjoy reading your posts HEM but I respectfully disagree.

I'm pretty sure the culture of self-promotion doesn't begin or end in our inner cities.

"Feed the poor and they call you a saint; ask why they're poor and they call you a communist."--Mother Teresa

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

I am in full agreement with you FoCoCoHawk.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Self accepts a certain level of that which makes me uncomfortable. TRob stares down opponents pretty regularly. Taylor I've seen looking at opposing crowds in a "ha ha, I just showed you" type fashion.

I really tire of seeing players dunk a ball over someone else and then stare that person down for some perceived offense. Lebron did it on his spectacular jump over a player dunk a couple of weeks ago.

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

When I was kid, we shouted "in your face" when we hit a jumpshot over someone. It's basketball, it's competition. That's just the way it is these days. I am not crazy about it either, but I understand.

DoctorTK 2 years, 10 months ago

I am with FoCoCoHawk.

Much of my life, I held the same view as HEM until I took my own initiative to explore the inner city "undercover". I never realized so many Americans are born into such desperate and hopeless situations. The basketball "culture" HEM mentioned is merely a way for these kids to survive their environment. Instead of tearing each other to pieces on this board, we should simply show more respect to many of our beloved KU players who came from tough inner cities.

On a lighter note, Jeremy Lin, thus far, seems to fit the John Wooden quote. For the past week, my wife had bugged me to take her to sports bars for Knicks games. "Where are we going to watch the game tonight?" Now, that's Linsane!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

I have referred to an inner city culture as the source of the basketball culture. What these kids are born into is sad and horrible.

What you have referred to .. showing "more respect" to those from the inner city misses the point and continues the sad process that enables the conduct.

Just because you understand why it is occurring or empathize with their circumstance does not mean that we should stamp our approval to the results. Wrong is wrong. Self promotion, grabbing your crotch, screaming in an opponents face, taunting .. I'm sorry, that is pathetic, and wrong. No gray area. I'll continue to be on the right side of that one.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 10 months ago

"grabbing your crotch, screaming in an opponents face, taunting .. "

I don't know which players you're talking about exactly, but if those things were happening on a regular basis at Kansas, we'd be getting T'd up a lot more than we do. Nobody is putting a "stamp of approval" on it.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Reminder to read the post. There is, like it or not, an inner city culture that is devoid of morality. Not all .. no one said all. But it is tolerated, it is accepted, and is is certainly reality. It is fact. Drive by shootings, murder, violence, robbery. It never ends. Now some of you can whine about the reasons for that. Who is a victim and who isn't. But one thing I know is that everyone that pulls the trigger of a gun has a choice.

I hear "Well that stuff happens everywhere." Sorry. We're talking percentages. We're talking where this stuff is a regular, every day occurence. People complain that when there is an inner city shooting, no one cares. But in the suburbs, it's major news. Of course it is. We are numb to inner city violence. It is rare in the suburbs. Why? How many roving gangs to you see in the suburbs .. beatings, vandalism, violence? The exception in the suberbs; the rule in the inner city. Why? Because good is overwhelmed by evil. The good people don't stand a chance in that environment.

Some want to ignore the problem of fathers not being in the home; the five kids with four different guys; the five kids with four different women; the welfare culture; the multiple last names among "brothers" ... you name it. But it is a sad reality. Heck, look at KU last season .. how many players from the "city" in the home, let alone dads they even had contact with?

That inner city reality is where this crap comes from -- the rap culture -- the culture of violence -- the banging the chest, the screaming, the self promotion, the grabbing the crotch, the taunting. It is fruit from the same tree. Everyone knows it, but are simply to afraid to offend. At its basics, it is the worst of our society.

I don't care whether this is considered insensitive. That's a whiny word. A word that says political correctness. A word that asks to avoid reality, and not talk about things that might offend. I don't work that way. It is a messy subject.

The problem is, that apologists, explainers, those that want to explain things away and avoid personal responsibility for this stuff enable it to continue to occur. And you think that you're being sensitive. What you are doing by explaining, and rationalizing, and crying about insensitivity only acts to fan a fire that is continuing to destroy the inner cities of this nation. It is sad.

What we need is intolerance of this garbage. But few people have the stomach for that.

brooksmd 2 years, 10 months ago

HEM...I'm with you. Anyone who thinks otherwise I would invite to come down to New Orleans and walk the inner city. We had 12 people murdered the first 12 days of the year with 2 dozen wounded. One 18 hr period saw 17 people shot. We're surprised when we turn on the morning news and don't hear of a murder in the city. And the cops can't do anything because there is a "street code" that demands silence. And it all goes back to the same factors. No father, drugs, no education/direction. These kids grow up with a mother living on welfare, living in public housing. I've seen a teacher interview where she said she tried to encourage a young girl to do better and the response was she didn't need no education because she was going to be just like her mother. After Katrina damaged much of the public housing, the people who had lived there came back and demanded the city rebuild it cause that was their home. Heck, even Bill Cosby recognizes it and regularly talks about it and berates black males for not accepting responsibility. The chance for improvement is there just like it is for everyone. Yes it can be harder for some than others. There is also the easy way if you're willing to jeopardize your life.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

One of those victims was a former student of mine, a great kid, but one who was caught up in the lifestyle that led to his death.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree that refusing to talk about or even listen to talk about problem behavior is a dis-service to the one misbehaving.

How does a kid learn to behave if no one kicks his @$$ when he shows it to the world?

When a kid, a young adult, a senior citizen doesn't act respectably, disrespect is the proper response.

I think someone should ask Angel Morris whether actions being understandable should make them acceptable.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 10 months ago

Black families were systematically torn apart by the slave trade for centuries. We're only 150 years removed from that, and it's hard to turn that pattern around once it's instilled. "Rap culture" didn't just appear out of nowhere; it has a historical context.

I say this not to excuse any particular behavior or to be politically correct or to be "an apologist." It's just the truth, and no sanctimonious preaching about "personal responsibility" from the comfort of your high elite perch is going to change it.

(Also, since we're supposedly talking about sports here, I would note that bad sportsmanship is as old as sports itself, and is hardly an inner-city invention. I'm pretty sure, for instance, that Ty Cobb was neither a "brother" nor a hip hop fan.)

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

That was in reference to hawkofages. Certainly not HEM

ccarp 2 years, 10 months ago

I am anxious, confident, nervous, optimistic, and overall ecstatic for the next 2 weeks! Home stretch of the conference season. One game at a time. The hawks are primed to rock. Just need to focus on winning one game at a time.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

We need to be worried about what we are going to do when Texas comes calling for HCBS after they fire Barnes at the end of the season.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 10 months ago

Is this a serious comment? Barnes will not be fired. Self is not going anywhere.

El Jay 2 years, 10 months ago

c'mon! Are you serious? I dont think Barnes is getting fired because he's one of the best recruiters in college basketball and honestly, they dont care about basketball in Austin. I promise you! I live in Houston and UT could care less that the BB team consistently underachieves. They get top recruits and they are consistently relevant. Thats enough for them. Its a football school. Similar to our football program. Nobody is going to fire a coach that consistently makes it to bowl games even if he rarely if ever makes a BCS game. That wouldnt fly at UT but it does here b/c were a BB school. Which brings me to my next point. There is NO WAY ON EARTH Bill Self leaves KU for UT unless he is getting hired as a football coach. He isnt leaving a place where BB is king to go to a place where they dont really care at all. And finally, UT would never pay a BB coach what we will b/c that is all money that is earmarked for football. This was one of the dumber comments Ive seen on these boards and that is saying a lot.

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know that he was serious, but I agree with you that they are not firing Barnes, and even he says he LIKES being at a school where football is king. I guess less pressure!

Coaches don't get fired for having very young teams, which is the case with Texas and OK State.

justinryman 2 years, 10 months ago

C'mon they just gave Mac Brown an extension after two bad years for Texas football, I doubt they fire Barnes over one down year.

Plus they love over paying coaches who couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper sack.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Three letters boys! T L N Got to find a way to draw viewers to the network at all times and a team that is barely over .500 isn't going to do that. Barnes will be out at the end of the season and if they don't come calling for HCBS they will at least pay some serious cash for another big name. Forcing us to up Bill's contract.

Booster, get ready!

Phoghorn 2 years, 10 months ago

Huh? My rumor mill says Coach Self will be going to the San Antonio Spurs after Coach Popovich retires.

Joe Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

LOL- UT over KU? Now that's funny...I'm dying....choking...coughing...laughing more....messed myself....peed myself....ok, my good laugh for the day.

Great one. If Self goes anywhere, it will be Ok St.

Texas is the biggest joke and is not a bball powerhouse.

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Your corny comments to draw responses really are getting beyond the pale (or the pail, if that's what you call your retch bucket).

You do know cattle eating corn in a feedlot produce twice as much $#:✝ as they would on grass in the pasture, don't you?

deepind 2 years, 10 months ago

IF Barnes get fired, then Texas will definitely try to poach Self from us. However, I do not think Barnes is not going to get fired at the end of THIS season. It would take another season or two similar to this one before they fire him.

Al Martin 2 years, 10 months ago

Not so sure about Barnes surviving. There are definite rumblings here in Austin. Last night's loss to Baylor was another in a series of depressing performances.

Having attended the Texas Tech game in Lawrence last weekend, and a number of games in Austin over the years, I don't see why Self would ever consider UT. There just isn't any energy in Austin for basketball, and the KU fan base brings it every night. I'm sure UT could throw serious money at Bill, but the T. Boone experience suggests that Bill isn't entirely money motivated.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Stillwater < Austin

Especially when UT offers: 1-2 million more per Barely having to leave the state to recruit Austin weather and entertainment And that random hot girl that sat behind our bench that one year. Google it!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Just got done reading a weekly feature on college hoops on Yahoo. It gives a who's hot, who's not type thing. In it the writer lumps Barnes and Drew into a category of great recruiters who don't know how to get the best out of their teams.

I don't think Barnes gets fired, and if he does, there's no way Self goes there. The only, I believe, threat for Self leaving would be later in his career trying to resurrect OKie St.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

How does one move up from Head Basketball Coach at KU?

(Does Jennifer Lopez even need a towel boy?)

Bill is way smarter than that.

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

As some others have said, I don't worry about any job opening other than the Okie State job again if Ford can't get it together down there, or down the line the Spurs job if he decides he wants a new challenge and has tired of the rigors of recruiting.

You claim Stillwater < Austin. In many ways that is true. But its Self's Alma mater, and that alone makes it a more comparable job for Self. I also think you're wrong about the salary. T Boone was basically handing Self a blank check a few years back.

Now as to whether they try and poach Self from us should Barnes get fired (to which I have no real read on) - I could see it. I don't think they'd be successful, but I could see it. But it won't happen and here's a few of the reasons why:

1. You don't leave a great job to take a lesser job unless there is something special about the lesser job (i.e. your alma mater).

2. He would have to play second fiddle in the athletic department to Mack Brown or whoever else is the football coach. At KU he is the top dog. This goes the same for the fans' passion down there as well, as basketball would only be an afterthought following the Bowl season.

3. He'd lose Danny. No way Danny leaves KU for UT.

4. His family. Self has two kids, and while I'm not exactly sure on the ages, I think his daughter is currently attending KU.

Anyway, if UT comes calling it may result in Self angling it to get a bigger contract, but I don't see him walking away from Lawrence just yet, and especially not to go to Austin. I think perhaps you are missing having Turner Gill to kick around and are lacking sufficient posting material without having the coaching carousel to fall back on.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree. But here are two other factors, one supporting staying the other leaving.

He and his family have put down roots. His parents are not that far away. Based on his track record of community at OR, Tulsa, etc, the Self clan is unlikely to pull up and move on a whim.

But, one does have to consider who ones boss is. I have no clue how Self gets along with this AD. But do know, we all have to report to someone, no matter how successful we may be.

Joe Baker 2 years, 10 months ago

Boeheim not retiring anytime soon and that little time he has left will give Billy G the opp at Syracuse - You might see Dooley get the offer too

FLJHK 2 years, 10 months ago

Only thing Self would ever leave for is NBA.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 10 months ago

Totally agree. Why would Bill go anywhere? There are only a handful of programs in the country that are even remotely as rich in tradition as KU and he is not going to go to UNC or Kentucky.

Pam McCormick 2 years, 10 months ago

Even if UT were to fire Barnes, why would Self leave an elite program like Kansas to go to Texass?

chalked 2 years, 10 months ago

The Hawks aren't focusing on Misery, yet they're hawking (no pun intended) 20,000 T shirts celebrating victories over Misery since 1854. I hope their focus is on A&M right now, and not on the Tiggers.

Roger Tobias 2 years, 10 months ago

I suggested to the bookstore last week that they should create a shirt that conveys the sentiment "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!" Initial staff reaction was positive, until the licensing people decided the issue of Misery leaving was "too sensitive." (Seriously!) Probably would have outsold the shirt they are hawking.

So I created my own, careful to avoid a copyright violation. Made six, to wear and give away to friends. Hope to catch the eye (pun intended) of a CBS camera on Saturday. Too Sensitive! Like MU cares! I would love to see some posters in the stands that had similar messages on them.

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Those shirts - while they look good with the angry Jayhawk, I think I'd rather get one after we finish the season. The shirts talk about records (as best I can make out, since the picture is pretty small, even blown up) and I want two more victories over the tiggers, plus another couple championships (even better would be three - regular season, conference tourney and national tourney). Achieving those would render the T-shirt outdated almost immediately. I doubt they'd update the shirt on their store. Decisions, decisions.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 10 months ago

But if you buy the shirt now then, after KU beats mu twice more and wins he national championship you get to brag about how you bought the shirt early in full confidence that the hawks were going to take care of business.

For example, I bought the KU Orange Bowl t-shirt in '07 before KU won the orange bowl. Knowing that if KU lost the orange bowl it would prove to be a waste of money, but believing that KU would win the orange bowl. To up the ante, I bought one early for my sister too, because she is married to a VT alumn.

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

That is a horrible jinx! Buying memorabilia beforehand! I made that mistake once, and while it was a mistake of youth, I hereby offer myself up to Jayhawk nation for blame, ridicule, and punishment: in 2003 I bought a shirt the day of the KU-Syracuse game. It wasn't a National Championship shirt or anything, it simply had the jayhawk logo on the front, and the bracket on the back, filled out to the point of the championship game. I had it all planned out - how I would fill in the score on the back using a sharpie and would then file it away with the rest of my stuff to one day hang on the wall or something. That night I burned the shirt and cursed myself for the negative karma I brought on the team!

You are very lucky your own shirt purchase did not adversely affect the outcome of the Orange Bowl, but please do not tempt fate again!

brooksmd 2 years, 10 months ago

Remember a couple of years ago when Kenstinky moved up to #1 in the polls and they promptly printed up t-shirts that day and got beat that night?

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree. The timing of the shirts is poor, especially when you consider they were designed immediately after (and in all likelihood in response to) MU printing up T-shirts following their win over us in Columbia. Good cause, bad idea.

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

That's good, you should double it up this time. Although, I'm not sure what you're going to tell your wife when she asks "where did all that money go". Do me a favor after the game, please do not blame the Missouri loss on the officials. Everyone, including Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale, knows that the officials gave the game to Missouri. What did Kansas do? They took it on the chin with a smile, shook it off and came home and went to work. I hope Missouri will do the same.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

If you bet on Missouri, put 1/3 of your dough on Missouri and the under but put the rest on Kansas and the over..it's going to be a slaughter, but the odds will cover you both ways The tough bet is going to be when we face each other on a neutral court.

Of course, I don't bet so I don't really know what the heck I've just said!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

$800!?!?

Nice! You can finally pay off the trailer.

omari1911 2 years, 10 months ago

And that celebratory packet of meth for which Missouri is famous.

coolsportsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

Very nice. What is that, like a year's salary in mizz?

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

Hope you bet a good wad of cash on tonights game, buddy.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

I sure wish I hadn't accepted a wedding invitation for Saturday at 3:00! No Tivo, no ESPN3 for when I get home.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 10 months ago

DVR. If you don't have it, you still have time to get it. Just don't listen or read any updates before you watch it.

Stan Unruh 2 years, 10 months ago

Unless it's your own wedding.... I think you are to sick to attend. Saturday's game is far more important than some wedding that will see the couple split in a couple years.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Well the other unfortunate factor is I live in Louisiana and they show SEC games on CBS, preempting the network coverage. So unless I'd find it online somewhere, I'd be out of luck!

Thanks for the diagnosis on my illness by the way!

brooksmd 2 years, 10 months ago

Crap, why did you remind me of that? Is it really on CBS?

brooksmd 2 years, 10 months ago

Just checked online TVGuide for New Orleans and it shows Missery/Kansas on CBS. I got my fingers crossed it stays that way.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Our TV in Baton Rouge usually lists the national game and the preempts it with the SEC nonsense. Hopefully at least you'll get to see it!

brooksmd 2 years, 10 months ago

I'll watch it come hell or high water. Only way I'll miss it is my funeral.

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

Ok, what do you guys think? Right after the KU victory over misery, Tyshawn and T-Rob go get all of the recruits out of the stands and bring them out on the court to feel the true wrath of AFH. How amazing would that be? I picture the fans chanting, Shabazz! Shabazz! Shabazz! Shabazz!

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

That would be great. However, I think that is against NCAA rules and regulations. Any pre-publicity involving recruits by a school, I believe, is a violation which would jeopardize any of those recruits attending KU. The recruit has to have publicly announced for the school. And even then, I'm not sure if it's legal to the recruit actually signs a LOI.

If I remember correctly, a while back there was something put out (by the NCAA) that there were limitations on how much crowd support/backing with signs that a school could have during a game situation. I admit, I may be wrong on that point. And, the NCAA may have changed their restrictions somewhat.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks longtime. I've had been having a rough day at work and I needed a good laugh.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow, you can tell I'm having a rough day from my poor writing skills.

manunitedjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, maybe Coach Marshall can show him how to win an NIT as well, since Coach doesn't know anything about winning "national" championsips. A lesson on recruiting? You are lost.

cool_beans 2 years, 10 months ago

This set of games coming up is a brutal stretch.

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

Oklahoma State is the team we do not want to overlook. They have been very tough at home lately.

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

Looking forward to seeing KU in College Station tomorrow night!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

! hope so, 'cause you sure don't want to see College Station!!!

2 years, 10 months ago

What, and pass up on seeing such Aggie engineering marvels as this??

Seriously, the Dixie Chicken is kind of a fun place to check out, and the maroon Whataburger on the southeast side of campus :^)

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

There's plenty of worse college towns than College Station. Lots of good bars combined with very hot girls that enjoy wearing tight jeans equals plenty of great memories for me visiting my friends at A&M and I look forward to making some more tomorrow night after KU stays undefeated in College Station.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

I stand corrected......I spent a year in Waco, TX one week last summer!!!

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

The only worthwhile thing to see in Waco is the Dr. Pepper museum, other than that, "Wacko", as non-Baylor alums down here call it, is pretty much a waste of a city.

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

Not that there was any movement on our part in the polls, but kinda odd that there weren't the customary two articles on the polls this week as there are most weeks - one being the actual polls and one how Keegan voted.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 10 months ago

The newspaper doesn't get Presidents Day off.

tobe789 2 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see the Wildcats win tonight. That would take some pressure off us tomorrow.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Need a true dogfight, down and dirty, wear both kitty kat teams to a frazzle, sub-border war type game. Come on KSU. I don't root for you often, so hear me say it while you can. And thanks for the earlier upset when you whupped MU the first go round in Madhatter Town.

If you win this MU game it could up your chances for an NCAA bid significantly.

And it would be great if MU would lose two games in a row. Nice send off from the Kansas teams to the Sad Sack SEC.

As for relieving pressure on the Hawks, a KSU win would do that, but it might backfire and KU might lose some of that necessity to win. Got to keep the fires burning hot. Just saying.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

If you win this MU game it could up your chances for an NCAA bid significantly.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Dang! A double post, twice in two days. My memory is slipping. Must be all this "Got to win the Big 12 Conference" pressure.

actorman 2 years, 10 months ago

I can understand the sentiment of pulling for KSU to win tonight. But there's something to be said for Misuse getting close to finally winning the Big XII, only to have their dreams get squashed like a bug by KU thumping them on Saturday. It makes it more enjoyable if they have the title within their sights and then blow it.

Of course that means KU has to win, but as marchphog points out, that's pretty much required anyway.

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree with the first sentence of your post.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with the second sentence of your post.

No matter what, we have to win in AFH. Regardless of what happens tonight. Aside from all the noise about not wanting MU to win on the way out the door, the simple truth is that winning in AFH is the only way to guarantee that MU won't win a share of the Big 12 title.

To me, keeping them from winning their first title EVER in conference before leaving is just as important as beating them for the sake of winning.

I want the Wildcats to win because it would be a Kansas school sticking it to Missouri--a formula that always cracks a smile on my face. I also think MU fans need to come down a notch. There were several over on the ESPN message boards predicting MU wins on Saturday and saying things like they were more worried about the KSU game tonight than the game in Lawrence.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

They're not worried about the game in Lawrence because they know it's a done deal. KU will blow them out no question. They're Worried about losing at home, a real possibility.

tobe789 2 years, 10 months ago

I think there is more pressure on the A&M game than the MU game. Last time we played A&M Middleton did not play and he was considered an all-conf player when the season started. Is Dash Harris still hurt?

Sally Presson 2 years, 10 months ago

I get so nervous before every game and extremely excited. I'm so glad to hear Tyshawn say first game first. We have to be A & M first then onto MU. I just bought the Beat MU shirt from Kansas Sampler. I was at the MU/KU game in columbia, sure wish I had it then. We just need for k-State to beat MU tonight, then us take care of our business!!

Rock Chalk boys, it's going to be great!!!

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

The nice situation about KState winning tonight, is that MU gets another loss and can't fall in the rankings before we beat them again this Saturday.

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

That hadn't occurred to me actually. With new rankings coming out on Monday, MU's loss to K-State and Kansas would preserve KU's already incredible strength of schedule and it would cause MU to plummet all at once. Plus, back to back losses can have harsh psychological effects on a team.

These people on here talking about K-State having no shot in Columbia are simply out of their mind. I'll guarantee you that the Wildcats are there to win and will be ready to play.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Come on, you guys.....do any of you truly believe that Kansas State has a chance against Missouri in Columbia tonight??!!!!

The only way we win the Big 12 this year is to do it ourselves....win these next four games and walk out champions. No help, no breaks, no favors..we kick a$$ and take names later!!!!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

Of course I believe KSUck has a chance tonight. Why wouldn't I? They've beaten them once. Scratch that...they manhandled them once. If they had eeked out a narrow win you could possibly chalk it up to home court advantage, but the Octagon of Dumb is not worth 16 points. So a chance? You bet. I think Misery will win, but surely you can't believe this game is a lock for MU.

I don't think we should be looking for any help from the other conference members, so doing I'm all for taking care of our business. But there's nothing wrong with wanting those losers to slink out of here having a few more "L"s hung on them, which is to say nothing of the fact that there are NCAA tournament seeding/location implications with every game.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

No fair introducing logic into the discussion!! :)

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

You are spot on. Frank has his guys play a style that is very counter to what Missouri prefers to play. Combine that with low turn overs for KSU and a cold as a witches tit shooting night for MU and it's sad Tiger faces.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

OakvilleJHawk, I always enjoy your posts and I usually agree with them. But today, I'm happy you get to eat crow.

Thank you, KSU. Consider the win a boot to MU's pants from our Border War compatriots. I'd bet money that MU was thinking ahead to this Saturday's game at KU.

Now, once again. It's time to show who's king of the hill. One at a time, Hawks. You can't be beat if you play to your capabilities.

1st - Texas A & M on 2/22. Let's send TAM off to the SEC in style.

2nd - Mizzery on 2/25. A final kick to the turncoats and off they also go, to the SEC with their tail between their legs..

3rd - Oklahoma State on 2/27. If KU won the previous two games, they should be ranked #3. Huge target, so stay focused.

4th - Texas on 3/3. Senior night, another Big 12 Championship, and the final game for seniors: TT, TC and JJ. And a fond farewell to POY (the KU faithful hope), TRob.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

And Mississippi State is leading Kenstinky 41 to 28 at halftime. Nice day for upsets. Use them up today. None left for Wednesday.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

K-State by 10 and I called it. K-State too much muscle for Mizzou. You belong on KC Talk Radio, not giving K-State a chance at all. You weren't aware of what happened in Manhattan?? Well it happened again in Columbia. KU better bring it tonight and Saturday.

Pam McCormick 2 years, 10 months ago

I don;t own purple but I was a purple pussy fan tonight,

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

What I find really amusing is reading a post that reference inner city, fatherless children, culture and it being so much better in the suburbs. I am still laughing, because on this board, I see words like, moron, idiot, dumb***, trailer park, crack cocaine being used to describe each other. And you want to talk about dysfunction? Clean this board up first, let's change the culture of these crotch grabbing, disrespectful youth later. Thanks!

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Amazing what happens when fouls are called, eh.

Dan Harris 2 years, 10 months ago

and when you only shoot 30% from treyland

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

Bill Self is going to run out of fingers for Big XII rings...

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Just takes one, the middle one, to let MU know who's in first place.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 10 months ago

Bill Self, possibly wearing a crown, donning 8 rings except on two extended birds towards our neighbors to the East... I like it.

Jackalope7 2 years, 10 months ago

How about them Wildcats! From the Big 12, thank you KSU!

fansincewilt 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the Tigers may have been looking ahead to Saturday. Should've taken care of business at home. Now, KS has to take care of business on the road and then come home and finish off the Tigers.

AirCapJay 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I hope the same thing doesn't happen to us tomorrow.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Did you watch the game?? Missouri didn't look ahead. K-State beat them up again and brought the broom to Columbia. KU better be ready tonight and Self will have them ready. "Tigers may have been looking ahead" lmao.

RCJHGOKANSAS 2 years, 10 months ago

Awesome! Way to go K STATE..........everyone talks about KU MU...but K State deserves to stick it to Misery too!

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Yep everyone talks about KU MU and that's why talk radio sucks in KC, they talked very little about KSU MU as if KSU didn't have a chance. Talked about Saturday as if Tuesday's game wouldn't mean anything, now if KU takes care of business tonight and Saturday they are guaranteed 8 consecutive titles, an awesome feat. I saw this upset coming and told my son McGruder would be hot and K-State would outmuscle Mizzou in their own house. KC Talk Radio blew this one!! Kietzman likes to say Frank Martin is Lon Kruger's bitch, well it looks like Frank Haith is Frank Martin's bitch lol...

VancouverHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Kensucky losing 14-4! Its still early, though.

okiedave 2 years, 10 months ago

Was it my imagination or did the MU players through mini trandums when they were flagged for a foul?

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 10 months ago

Way to go Wildcats!!! Coach Martin had the right game plan, use height to attack inside and get players in foul trouble. I am confident KU will be doing the same thing come Saturday. Sometimes, the best defense is a good offense. There is a good chance that MU could lose its next two games (KU and ISU) and limp away to the SEC with 3 loses in their last 4 games; that would be sweet.

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, KSU !! To paraphrase Ned Beatty in Deliverance: EMAW !

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm selfish, I hope Missouri makes it to the Big 12 tournament finals and KU wins the season series 2-1 against them. Send those striped pussies off the right way.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 10 months ago

MethZoo never makes Final Fours. A pussy can't change it's stripes.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

This bolt of good news from Columbia makes the TAM game that much more dangerous...this year's team has shown a great capacity for immaturity.

Hawks, you have won nothing yet....take down the Aggies and then eliminate Misery from the conference race on Saturday.

Notice how aggressive KSU was on offense...no walking the ball up, instead put pressure on Mizzou defense thus upsetting their offense. Hope Bill was taking notes.

This was the #3 team in the country? They looked like the #3 team in the Atlantic 10!!!