Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jayhawks vow: First things first

Kansas University basketball veterans Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson braced themselves for a barrage of questions from a larger-than-normal contingent of media members before practice Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We kind of prepared ourselves when we walked out here. We figured it’d be all Missouri questions,” Taylor, KU’s senior point guard, said amid a backdrop of about a hundred students representing groups camping out for Saturday’s 3 p.m. home game against Missouri.

“It’s understandable. Everybody is excited about it. We’ve got to take care of business Wednesday. I’m thinking about it, too, but I can’t look past Texas A&M at all. They are a good team that could definitely beat us,” Taylor added.

The Jayhawk duo actually fielded plenty of questions about A&M on Monday.

KU (22-5 overall, 12-2 Big 12), which is tied for first place in the Big 12 with Missouri, meets the Aggies (13-13, 4-10) at 8 p.m. Wednesday at Reed Arena in College Station.

Taylor, who recently told coach Bill Self he’d been a bit worn down, says he’s energized for the pre-Missouri match-up against the Aggies.

“That was good. I think I needed that,” Taylor said of playing just 27 minutes in Saturday’s 83-50 rout of Texas Tech. “We had a day off after that, too. That helped. I feel good now. I’m a little nicked up, a little banged up like any player this time of the season. It’s been a long season. I’ve played a lot of minutes. We get after it at practice. There’s a lot of wear and tear on the body, but I feel good. I’m excited. This is a really big week for us.”

Senior Khris Middleton, a 6-foot-7, 217-pound junior forward who didn’t play in the Aggies’ 64-54 loss to KU on Jan. 23 because of a knee injury, will play Wednesday. Dash Harris, a 6-1 senior from Los Angeles who suffered an arch injury in the KU game and hasn’t played since, returned to practice Friday.

“I have no clue. I’ve given 17 updates this year and been wrong every time,” A&M coach Billy Kennedy said. “He’s been cleared to practice. He’s not made it through an entire practice.”

T-shirts: Self on Monday’s “Hawk Talk” radio show invited fans to purchase “Kansas Operation: Victory” T-shirts. The shirts, being sold at kustore.com according to the website, “celebrates the rich tradition of Jayhawks victories over Missouri since 1854.”

“We will sell a lot of them — 15,000, 20,000 of them. We sold 8,000 last week,” Self said. “The profits we make through the athletic department will go to charities in our area that promote relief for our soldiers who have given so much overseas and in combat, people that have sacrificed so much for us. If you want to wear blue to the game, wear that one. It’d be cool.

“It’s something we thought we could do three weeks ago to raise funds for an important cause and give our fans a shirt to like. This is obviously the last time,” he added, referring to the end of the Border War rivalry’s coming to an end after this season.

Morris recalled: Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey announced Monday that former KU forward Marcus Morris has been recalled from NBA Development League partner Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Morris, the 14th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, averaged 22.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.4 steals in the 10 games he played with Rio Grande Valley.

Comments

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

This bolt of good news from Columbia makes the TAM game that much more dangerous...this year's team has shown a great capacity for immaturity.

Hawks, you have won nothing yet....take down the Aggies and then eliminate Misery from the conference race on Saturday.

Notice how aggressive KSU was on offense...no walking the ball up, instead put pressure on Mizzou defense thus upsetting their offense. Hope Bill was taking notes.

This was the #3 team in the country? They looked like the #3 team in the Atlantic 10!!!

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm selfish, I hope Missouri makes it to the Big 12 tournament finals and KU wins the season series 2-1 against them. Send those striped pussies off the right way.

Rian Ankerholz 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, KSU !! To paraphrase Ned Beatty in Deliverance: EMAW !

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

Way to go Wildcats!!! Coach Martin had the right game plan, use height to attack inside and get players in foul trouble. I am confident KU will be doing the same thing come Saturday. Sometimes, the best defense is a good offense. There is a good chance that MU could lose its next two games (KU and ISU) and limp away to the SEC with 3 loses in their last 4 games; that would be sweet.

okiedave 2 years, 1 month ago

Was it my imagination or did the MU players through mini trandums when they were flagged for a foul?

VancouverHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Kensucky losing 14-4! Its still early, though.

RCJHGOKANSAS 2 years, 1 month ago

Awesome! Way to go K STATE..........everyone talks about KU MU...but K State deserves to stick it to Misery too!

fansincewilt 2 years, 1 month ago

I think the Tigers may have been looking ahead to Saturday. Should've taken care of business at home. Now, KS has to take care of business on the road and then come home and finish off the Tigers.

Jackalope7 2 years, 1 month ago

How about them Wildcats! From the Big 12, thank you KSU!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill Self is going to run out of fingers for Big XII rings...

melrank 2 years, 1 month ago

C'mon Frankie - hold it together1

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

What I find really amusing is reading a post that reference inner city, fatherless children, culture and it being so much better in the suburbs. I am still laughing, because on this board, I see words like, moron, idiot, dumb***, trailer park, crack cocaine being used to describe each other. And you want to talk about dysfunction? Clean this board up first, let's change the culture of these crotch grabbing, disrespectful youth later. Thanks!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Come on, you guys.....do any of you truly believe that Kansas State has a chance against Missouri in Columbia tonight??!!!!

The only way we win the Big 12 this year is to do it ourselves....win these next four games and walk out champions. No help, no breaks, no favors..we kick a$$ and take names later!!!!!

Steve Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

The nice situation about KState winning tonight, is that MU gets another loss and can't fall in the rankings before we beat them again this Saturday.

Sally Presson 2 years, 1 month ago

I get so nervous before every game and extremely excited. I'm so glad to hear Tyshawn say first game first. We have to be A & M first then onto MU. I just bought the Beat MU shirt from Kansas Sampler. I was at the MU/KU game in columbia, sure wish I had it then. We just need for k-State to beat MU tonight, then us take care of our business!!

Rock Chalk boys, it's going to be great!!!

tobe789 2 years, 1 month ago

I would like to see the Wildcats win tonight. That would take some pressure off us tomorrow.

Kye Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

Not that there was any movement on our part in the polls, but kinda odd that there weren't the customary two articles on the polls this week as there are most weeks - one being the actual polls and one how Keegan voted.

ku_foaf 2 years, 1 month ago

Looking forward to seeing KU in College Station tomorrow night!

cool_beans 2 years, 1 month ago

This set of games coming up is a brutal stretch.

manunitedjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, maybe Coach Marshall can show him how to win an NIT as well, since Coach doesn't know anything about winning "national" championsips. A lesson on recruiting? You are lost.

longtimehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Self might take a lesson from Greg Marshall of Wichita ST. on how to beat a Davidson team and how to do it on their own floor, and not yours. Course a lesson on recruiting might be a great start also.

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

Ok, what do you guys think? Right after the KU victory over misery, Tyshawn and T-Rob go get all of the recruits out of the stands and bring them out on the court to feel the true wrath of AFH. How amazing would that be? I picture the fans chanting, Shabazz! Shabazz! Shabazz! Shabazz!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

I sure wish I hadn't accepted a wedding invitation for Saturday at 3:00! No Tivo, no ESPN3 for when I get home.

missouricat 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, looks like the Missouri-KU game is coming up in a few days. I guess that I will have to put a few bucks on the game like I did last time, which by the way pocketed me $800 bucks which was a nice amount.

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Those shirts - while they look good with the angry Jayhawk, I think I'd rather get one after we finish the season. The shirts talk about records (as best I can make out, since the picture is pretty small, even blown up) and I want two more victories over the tiggers, plus another couple championships (even better would be three - regular season, conference tourney and national tourney). Achieving those would render the T-shirt outdated almost immediately. I doubt they'd update the shirt on their store. Decisions, decisions.

chalked 2 years, 1 month ago

The Hawks aren't focusing on Misery, yet they're hawking (no pun intended) 20,000 T shirts celebrating victories over Misery since 1854. I hope their focus is on A&M right now, and not on the Tiggers.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

We need to be worried about what we are going to do when Texas comes calling for HCBS after they fire Barnes at the end of the season.

ccarp 2 years, 1 month ago

I am anxious, confident, nervous, optimistic, and overall ecstatic for the next 2 weeks! Home stretch of the conference season. One game at a time. The hawks are primed to rock. Just need to focus on winning one game at a time.

IrishCharlie 2 years, 1 month ago

Regarding the on-going chest thumping here....................

“Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.” John Wooden

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

With Middleton back, and Dash Harris probably playing significant minutes, we are facing a team which is much stronger than its 4-10 conference record would indicate. Of our 3 game schedule in the next 6 days, I view the Okie State contest Monday as the trap game. Gotta win tomorrow and Saturday...and stay out of legweary overtimes. That said, the one game at a time focus is the only way to face this grueling six days. We can't be playing Chase the Tiger come Saturday. That game has to be a tie-beaking matchup.

Mike Hart 2 years, 1 month ago

Wouldn't exactly call A&M a "weaker" category team. This was, after all, the pick of many to win Big 12 this year. They have had injuries this year that have made their disappointing season much worse.

yates33333 2 years, 1 month ago

dannyboy4hawks. You aren't normal if you aren't worried. Some teams blow away weaker opponents regularly, but KU isn't one of those teams. We somehow always seem to struggle and on rare occasions lose. The only teams we blast consistently are Pittsburg State, Washburn, and Hays. I guess they like the pay day and, unlike football, no one seems to get physically damaged.

TRUEBLUEKU 2 years, 1 month ago

It is looking like Tony Parker won't come and there is still a playoff game to be played that will decide if Walker comes, but there will still be a load of talent watching that Mizzou game. I know players can't look ahead, but I sure am. http://isportsweb.com/2012/02/20/kansas-jayhawks-once-in-a-lifetime-recruiting-trip/

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 1 month ago

Is it just me or does everyone else get nervous about each upcoming game? We get everyone's best shot and to me, that's what makes each game difficult...

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 1 month ago

Think with Withey having more impact in the post....A&M will struggle to score...especially if their perimeter shots aren't falling. We've improved more than they have since our first meeting.

A&M will have some scoring droughts...and think we'll win by at least 12.