Monday, February 20, 2012

Veritas Christian’s Preston Randall will walk on for KU football

Veritas running back Preston Randall (44) runs in a touchdown in the second quarter during the Veritas Eagles' playoff game against the St. Mary's Crusaders in Lawrence on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011.

Preston Randall, a 6-foot-1, 185-pound senior from Veritas Christian School in Lawrence, will walk on for the Kansas football team next season, Rivals.com is reporting.

Randall had several Div. II offers, while Oklahoma State and Tulsa also had interest in him as a walk-on.

"I've been a Jayhawk fan all my life," Randall told JayhawkSlant.com. "I knew it was where I wanted to play. I'm really excited about it."

Last season, Randall rushed for 26 touchdowns while also racking up 81 tackles on defense.

Randall said he expected to be placed on the offensive side of the ball at KU.

Comments

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Gill was not a horrible recruiter. The Gill staff seemed to have good recruits on paper. The Gill staff showed almost no ability to develop players while they were here.

Vaildini 2 years, 8 months ago

haha they weren't here long enough to develop there recruits. I get we are suppose to be anti-Gill and pro-Weis but do you guys follow sports?

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

2 years is plenty to see improvement. How many years did it take Harbaugh to make the Niners relevant?

Ethan Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

Off the top of your head name me great teams who are sophomore based?

TXJAYHAWK7 2 years, 8 months ago

Harbaugh inherited a team that was turning the corner not taking anything away from him but Singletary had them ready. He needed a decent OC

ejlumus 2 years, 8 months ago

Special Teams should show improvement in year ONE ....

enough said!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Validini...

I agree when it comes to his players not being here long enough, but in 2 years we should have seen some of the guys he inherited show improvement. Other than Steven Johnson, I don't know that there was a player who really developed.

mjhawkchalk 2 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone remember HCCC at Notre Dame? How did that work out again? Get off Gills back and stfu.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Who is HCCC? I remember HCCW had two BCS appearances, that is about 1 more than KU has had; however, I'll give HCMM credit for having 1 more win in BCS games than HCCW.

burnmu 2 years, 8 months ago

God I hate it when someone ends a blog with "enough said." It makes you sound like a tool. Why not just end your sentence with "I'm always right!"

TXJAYHAWK7 2 years, 8 months ago

You cant judge a coach on developing players in a 2 year span, Im sure you follow sports so im sure you know that the best squads hccw fielded were actually recruited by Ty Willingham while at ND

Vaildini 2 years, 8 months ago

That is an ignorant thing to say. You must not pay any attention to football.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

Ahper has always just looked for opps to rip Gill. Far too many were just ignorant. Like this latest comment. To actually apply the statement means that he is expecting Preston to rush for 600 yds this coming season, because Gill had recruits rushing for as much the past 2 years. Dumb.

The reality is that it is good to have Preston and other walkons that want to play for KU, just like it is for the BB team to have Conner & Jordan.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 8 months ago

Ahper had reason to rip Gill. He was the worst coach we've seen in the history of KU football, relatively speaking. I think Gill could recruit all right (not near the level we've seen with CW) but his lack of player development made his recruiting look bad.

For the players that improved when Gill was here. . . it seems like they did that on their own fruition.

Let's forget about last year and the Gill=era though. It is completely insignificant now.

The current players will now get the benefit of a competent head coach, with serious player development skills, now they have help getting better! The sky is the limit! Go get 'em boys!!!!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

How many walk-ons did Gill have while at KU?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

There were actually several in his one true recruiting class. Some of them ended up being given scholies, but they came here as "walk-ons".

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Welcome Mr. Randall! Great to have a roster full of as many Kansas kids as possible.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully he works hard. He may never see the field but walk-ons can help make the team better during practice.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 8 months ago

Stephen Johnson...came to KU as a walk-on. Ended up leading the team in tackles two straight years and is now being invited to the NFL Combine. Can be done!

Bob Forer 2 years, 8 months ago

You are absolutely right. He was an invited walk-on. But he was awarded a scholarship his sophomore year, and made the most of it. I can't think of any player who worked harder than Mr. Johnson to get where he is today. He deserves everything he receives. One of my favorite KU players. I have a lot of respect for the young man.

Here is an old LJW story on him. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/aug...

dylans 2 years, 8 months ago

I've been an admirer of your avatar since I first saw it. B*n Kentucky waterfall!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, as was McGraw at KSU. Both in the NFL. Also, both from Riley County (my old high school)!

mojayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

And both were born in odd numbered years, or was it even, or was it one of each? I'm sure I'm right, at least maybe.

Jeff Barclay 2 years, 8 months ago

The kid can play football- and in spite of tremendous high school success he is untapped... good student, not afraid to give a hit and can take a hit- he will be much better against better competition... Veritas can be very proud of him. He is not easily intimidated, as evidenced by walking on at KU... I hope u git er dun Preston!

Mike Hart 2 years, 8 months ago

Glorifying this kid before he's even stepped on the field. I'm glad he's a good student. "He is untapped". Whoop-te-do... he's a nice kid, doesn't mean he's going to be a contributor to the success of the football team. "Not easily intimidated". Great, but that doesn't make him a great football player. That line of reasoning is just dumb...

yates33333 2 years, 8 months ago

What a cynic. You're a party pooper. Barclay didn't glorify him. It's great he is a good student, that he can take a hit, that Barclay thinks he will play even better against better competition. I, too, "hope u git er dun Preston!" I don't know what mhart123 means but it sure doesn't mean "my heart.!"

doctorWho 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's not make this a bigger deal than it is: one more body for the meat-squad.

Mike Hart 2 years, 8 months ago

That's probably the most intelligent analysis I've read on this board.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

Format for KUSports.com wall post.

Step 1: Disagree wholeheartedly with the first sentence of the previous poster's comment, while disregarding any following statements said poster made. Step 2: Insult the previous poster's integrity by implying that they are uneducated, uninformed, or mentally challenged. Step 3: Provide no support for your argument whatsoever. Step 4: Wait until other people disagree with you. Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

1. that is just absurd.
  2. were you raised on the mizery side of the border?

Ron Prichard 2 years, 8 months ago

That is hilarious. I do tend to agree with Kleave, but I laughed out loud when I read this.

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, but I don't think Chuck was trying to be funny.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

1. that is just absurd.
  2. were you raised on the mizery side of the border?

Mike Hart 2 years, 8 months ago

This whole line of posting is dumb...

yates33333 2 years, 8 months ago

I would normally disagree with you, but considering you posted first, I hesitate. In words of Forest Gump, "Dumb is as Dumb does."

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually it was "stupid is as stupid does", but you proved your point

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

Reviving an explanation of inappropriate synonymous usage of the adjectives 'dumb', 'ignorant', 'stupid' ––

The 'dumb' cannot speak. The 'ignorant' do not know. The 'stupid' will not learn.

John Mueller 2 years, 8 months ago

Class, lets move on........

We have a new coach. We are excited about the future of KU football.

Lets rally around Coach Weiss and root for the home team.

Any young man who is willing to put it on the line for the University of Kansas is somebody we are all going to cheer for.

No matter whether he becomes a huge success and contributor on the field or whether he is the kid who works tirelessly every day in practice on the scout team.

He is Jayhawk. And this is a huge band wagon. Everybody get on board.

Stop beating each other up fighting about an the past.

It was ugly, but it's over.

Go, Fight, Win Jayhawks!!

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Nice post, springtx. Couldn't agree more (especially on the "ugly" part! Is nightmare too strong a word?)

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 8 months ago

Welcome to KU. I hope that all you walk-ons really push the others to work hard with the idea, "You better put out or I'm gonna get your schollie."

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

The definition of walk-on is, he who is going to get walked on by the scholarship players.

It takes guts to do it. I should know...I was an All-State defensive end considering walking on the team then I met future All-American John Zook and walked on back to Marvin Hall to keep my architectural scholarship!!

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, John was really good. He played what, 8 or 9 years in the NFL for the Falcons and made All-Pro at least a couple times as I recall?

Mike Hart 2 years, 8 months ago

Not sure we are all interested nor need to hear your life story

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Did you check out the All-Bran in the cereal aisle like I told you to? I think it might help your disposition.

april28 2 years, 8 months ago

He plays at a 1A school in Kansas, so who knows. I wish him the very, very best and I hope that he earns a schollie. Here's some info. on a 1A Kansas kid from the past....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Cr...

Setherick 2 years, 8 months ago

This is a good point. Not only did he play small school football in Kansas, his highlights suggest that he embarrassed the small school football players he played against: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU-9RB...

I'm not saying he'll be good, but I would like to see what he'll do against better competition. If anything, it's nice to see HCCW bringing in local kids from all sized schools as walk ons like "Old Man" Synder does down I-70 in Manhattan.

HAWKS1 2 years, 6 months ago

The best part of that video was to see him score without having to do a dance and a self-congratulatory celebration. He respectfully returned the ball to the official and did not taunt the opposition. He obviously brings good character to the field which some of our other players could emulate.