Monday, February 20, 2012

Jayhawks in the NBA for Feb. 20

Cole Aldrich, Oklahoma City

Did not play (coach’s decision)

Mario Chalmers, Miami

Pts: 6. FGs: 2-5. FTs: 2-2.

Nick Collison, Oklahoma City

Pts: 3. FGs: 0-2. FTs: 3-3.

Drew Gooden, Milwaukee

(DId not play, wrist injury)

Markieff Morris, Phoenix

Pts: 10. FGs: 2-11. FTs: 5-6.

Paul Pierce, Boston

Pts: 18. FGs: 6-11. FTs: 4-4.

Comments

shinguard 2 years, 6 months ago

Any theories an why Markieff is thriving and Marcus is struggling? The thought that keep running through my head is that Marklieff's skills and demeanor lies in supporting the main scoring threat on offence. That comfort zone works great for a rookie.

Thoughts?

Eric Baker 2 years, 6 months ago

From what I understand, Marcus plays more of a small forward and the Rockets were trying to play him out of position as a power forward because they had more need at the 4. I suspect they would have drafted Markieff instead if the Suns hadn't unexpectedly taken him one pick sooner. When Marcus is able to play his position, he should impress a lot of people.

ClydeTurnbuckle 2 years, 6 months ago

His game is just going to take a longer time to adjust to the NBA. He's stuck between a 3 and a 4, and plays both adequately but doesn't excel at either. A lot of guys had a clear position in college and then have to redefine their role in the league. Derrick Williams was the #2 overall pick and he's having an underwhelming year for the exact same reason as Marcus. Time will tell whether he can shape his game to a true small forward. If he does I think he will really get it going.

dylans 2 years, 6 months ago

It could be as simple as playing time and coaching philosophies. Under the surface Marcus was handed a starting job at Kansas and Markief worked into his. Does the later play into the equation? Most likely the difference is in the programs Houston doesn't play rookies through mistakes and tries to develop them in the D league.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

Marcus was always considered a "tweener" by NBA scouts and most thought Markieff would do better playing the 4. a more natural position for him and one he played at KU. They also indicated that Marcus would likely play the 3 in the NBA, a position he really did not play at KU. He is a good shooter and as he becomes more comfortable at that position, he will develop into a capable player.

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

Just so we all know:

Rush at 1 (not in the three point contest, eh what?), Chalmers at 5... But if you scroll down there a bit, you can see our guy Kieff coming in at a cool 26th. Way to be Kieff!

(P.S. I've said it before, I'll say it again: That 2008 Final Four was the best overall talent level of Final Four we might see again in our lifetime. Not just KU (who was loaded), but every Final Four team had very solid players on their roster. You just don't see four teams that each have at least two pro-players on them at the same time anymore.)

(P.S. and S... Actually, the All Start Three Point Contest selection is a complete joke.)

Krohnutz 2 years, 6 months ago

Lots of typos in there, I need to lay off the caffeine. Should say, "see in our lifetime,: and should be the All Star (no T).

Also, I said anymore (as though it was decades ago, but I'm not sure I can recall any of Final Fours that had that many successful pros in my lifetime.

Here is 2008 as I can remember it; Love, Collison, Mbah and Westbrook for UCLA. Memphis had CDR and Rose. North Carolina had Ellington, Hansbrough and Lawson. And we had Arthur, Jackson, Chalmers, Rush and Aldrich. All those guys played, or still play minutes at the NBA level right now. You could throw Sherron in there but did he actually play minutes for Charlotte? I don't know, but either way, that is a lot of pro caliber players for four teams.