Monday, February 20, 2012

Former KU men’s basketball captain Al Correll dies

Former Kansas University men’s basketball player Al Correll, a captain of the 1963-64 Jayhawk team, died on Saturday in Tacoma, Wash.

Correll was a retired Human Relations Director for the city of Tacoma. Previously he had served in a similar capacity in Des Moines, Iowa and Topeka.

Correll, who played for KU head coach Dick Harp from 1962-64, holds the Jayhawk school record for free-throw shooting percentage for a season, hitting 90 percent in 1964. The 6-foot-3 guard was among a group of outstanding athletes from Philadelphia who played at Kansas, including Wilt Chamberlain and Wayne Hightower and later Marcus and Markieff Morris.

For his career, he averaged 8.5 points and 4.6 rebounds a game.

Correll worked in the field of civil rights for 33 years. After graduating from KU, he studied at Washburn University and at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. He received numerous awards for his service and was a consultant to the White House on civil rights enforcement.

Correll is survived by his wife Ruth, son Brian, and daughter Carla.

“He loved the program and was a great representative of the program,” said former KU coach Ted Owens, an assistant to Harp during Correll’s KU career. “First of all, he was a very good player, very quick and active. He had a great attitude and was very articulate. He was just a wonderful guy with a great spirit, a great leader. Like all great leaders, he led by example. He was so much fun to be with, just a great person who will be missed.”

Comments

Steve Brown 6 years, 12 months ago

we're waving the wheat for you Mr. Correll, not the fouled out wave, rather the somber respectful wave. go in peace.

Gary Wirsig 6 years, 12 months ago

nj...I might have written your paragraph, except my dad wasn't too interested in sports. I was raised near Dunlap, about 10 miles from CG - where are you from? We probably know each other. Did you go to CG high school? I graduated in 1970.

OK sorry about old home week - now back to proper respect for Al Correll.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 12 months ago

90% free throw record still standing since 1964!

Get to sit next to Max!

Consultant to the White House on civil rights!

KU graduate!

RIP!

hawksince51 6 years, 12 months ago

Al's nickname was "The K-State Killer" because he always had his best games against them. He was often able to slide into the lane unnoticed and get a lay-up particularly at crunch time. He was one of my favorites. RIP.

WilburNether 6 years, 12 months ago

"After graduation he joined Max Falkenstien on the KU and K-State radio broadcasts."

Al Correll and Max Falkenstein did K-State radio broadcasts? Seriously? Or is this just another case of sloppy writing and editing?

Brian Correll 6 years, 12 months ago

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to comment on the death of my father, Allen J Correll. His love for KU knew no boundaries. I had the geat fortune of living on the KU campus as a child while he played and am proud to call myself a Jayhawk One of my favorite memories will always be when my father and I returned to Lawrence in 2008 for the 110 yr celebration of KU basketball. It was during that trip that I began to fully understand what KU tradition means to both students and student/athletes alike. "Beware of the Phog" Rock Chalk Jayhawk

lionhawkward 6 years, 12 months ago

It is truly a pleasure to see the generations of Jayhawks that revisit the memories they have of our wonderful program. Being raised in Lawrence and watching years of teams go through I have great memories as well. Mr. Correll was a little before my time and it is great to see how he touched many fans lives while he was here. I remember getting the wrist bands of those players like Darnell , Kerry Boagni, Dave Magley, Art Housey, and playing pick up with JoJo and Bud Stallworth. We have a great program and tradition and its wonderful to see the fans appreciation. This team as well will leave huge fingerprints on fans lives and I look forward to where this ride will take us. Oldtimerskid I think the fans and Jayhawk family stand by you and your father as he moves on and thank you and your family for being a part of this tradition. God bless you as you and your familiy as you move forward with your loss, thanks again for the memories ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK !!

okiedave 6 years, 12 months ago

Oldtimerskid, sorry to hear about you loss. I watched you dad play in the Phog when I was in early high school at Lawerence. The second I saw the article, I distinctly remembered the name "Al Correlll". He was a basketball giant and a legend in my mind.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm sure that Al had a viewpoint on the Border Wars. Being a person who obviously was engaged in civil rights issues, it would be very interesting to know how he dealt with the history between the two states and the rivalry between the schools. Unless there is someone out there who shared these types of topics with him, personally, we will never know his positions. He may have sucumbed to life, but will probably never sucumb to his stance regarding those Missourians, if I'm correct. .

Brian Correll 6 years, 12 months ago

Memhawk, my father told me many times about the games with Missouri. In those times it was not uncommon to hear racial slurs among the many things being shouted by the Missouri fans. He also told me about the times when the KU team would travel and the African American players were not allowed to eat in some of the restaurants. The State of Kansas and KU should be proud of its stance on slavery. KU is one of the few schools at the time that would even recruit African American student athletes. It is prophetic that my fathers memorial service falls on the day that KU wins the Big 12 by crushing Missouri one last time. My family is proud to be a part of KU tradition and look forward to continuing our association with the school and program. Thank you for your comments. The Correll family is blessed to have been a part of such great tradition.