Sunday, February 19, 2012

Notebook: Giants’ Lawrence Tynes among fans in ’house

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 83-50 victory over Texas Tech on Feb. 18, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Texas Tech

Box score

New York Giants placekicker Lawrence Tynes, whose team won the Super Bowl, attended the KU-Texas Tech game and was introduced to the crowd as a Tynes highlight video appeared on the big screen.

“We’re building a house in Overland Park,” said Tynes, a former member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Tynes, 33, and wife Amanda and their children make their offseason home in KC.

It marked his first game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“They kind of did what I expected,” Tynes said of KU clobbering the Red Raiders, 83-50.

Former KU forward Dave Robisch also attended, as did former KU football receiver Kerry Meier of the Atlanta Falcons.

Recruit in the house: Jordan Woodard, a 6-foot, 175-pound junior guard from Edmond (Okla.) Memorial High, attended on an unofficial recruiting visit. Woodard is currently ranked No. 122 by Rivals.com in the Class of 2013. He has heard from KU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and many others.

Teahan for three: Senior guard Conner Teahan hit three three-pointers in five tries and scored 11 points in 18 minutes. It marked his most points in a Big 12 game and most overall this season since he connected for 13 points against Howard on Dec. 29, 2011. He last hit as many as three threes in a game versus Howard (3).

“I felt very confident, and hopefully I’ll be able to keep that going in the next game,” Teahan said.

Power surge: KU did not show its pregame video during introductions. KU official Jim Marchiony said a power surge in the building knocked out the feed to the scoreboard and affected some of the power in the concession stands for a moment. The video was shown at halftime.

Team facts, figures: KU (22-5) has won 22 or more games for 23 straight seasons dating to 1989-90 ... KU, at 12-2 in the league, has won 12 or more league games for 12 consecutive seasons dating to 2000-01. ... KU has won 20 straight home games. ... KU is 19-1 when leading at halftime. ... KU, which leads the all-time series, 22-4, has won five in a row versus Texas Tech. ... KU is 143-7 in Allen Fieldhouse under coach Bill Self. ... Self is 8-3 versus Tech as KU coach, 9-6 overall. ... The victory was KU’s 1,000th all-time conference victory, dating to its membership to the Missouri Valley Conference. ... KU held Tech to nine points through the first 10 minutes and 22 points the first half. ... KU went on an 18-2 run during a 10 1/2-minute stretch in the first half, which extended the lead from five points to 21. ... KU went on a 12-0 run during a three-minute stretch in the second half, extending the lead from 23 to 35. ... The Jayhawks shot 60 percent (9-15) from beyond the arc, which is the best three-point shooting performance of the season. It is also the first time the Jayhawks have reached that plateau since Nov. 19, 2010 versus North Texas (9-15, 60 percent).

Player facts, figures: Naadir Tharpe hit his fifth three-point basket of the season, with four of his five career treys coming against the Red Raiders (one in Lawrence and three in Lubbock). ... With 16 points, forward Thomas Robinson has now scored in double-digits for 15 straight games and has accomplished that feat during 26 of 27 games. ... Robinson had a career-high five assists. ... Kevin Young (10 points) reached double figures for the third time. ... Tyshawn Taylor has 1,382 points, good for 23rd on the all-time KU scoring list.

Comments

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the video feed problem had to do with the Gods telling KU they need to go back to the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name". I'm sorry, but this year's video music is boring compared to the U2 version of past years. I wish we would get that changed back before the MU game next week, when Shabazz will be in the house.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

The video is too loud also. I was glad I left my child at home as opposed to damaging his hearing for a silly video. The first time I saw that video it was awesome, but the volume was at an acceptable level. This season it is way too loud, so loud the speakers distort due to a lack of amp power. It hurt my ears and i had a car with a sound system that would hit 145 db. There is no reason for the pre-game video to be louder that the crowd when it reaches a fever pitch. As a matter of fact it kinda reminds me of the false hype of an NBA game or techno being played at a ball game. Maybe I'm too steeped in tradition, but I prefer to hear the band than that huge sound system. Play the video (and to anyone who hasn't had the chance to see it you are missing out), but turn the volume down a little please.

Cmill1221 2 years, 10 months ago

Really? You can't handle a 45 second video? LOL

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

The crowd is awesomely loud. Why try to be louder than that? It's quite when the video is played it doesn't need to be set on 11. I know it is played to amp the crowd and players, but come on the video muted would do that for me. The first time I saw the video it was loud, but not too loud. It hit just perfect where my ears only bled for one day not a week.

Michael Thorp 2 years, 10 months ago

I totally love the pregame video. I can't believe any KU fans would dislike it. It's very moving. Really gets the fans and players ampted up for the game.

SchultzHawk11 2 years, 10 months ago

I heard many highly ranked recruits will be there. Do you know who all is going to other than Shabazz?

WhoSaidThat 2 years, 10 months ago

Wrong! wow you are so wrong must be over 50!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I hope the students spell SHABAZZ out during the game.

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 10 months ago

I thought he's coming on Feb. 25 against Mizery.

andrewbary 2 years, 10 months ago

What was the longest scoring drought for TT? I know that was mentioned in the Game Day chatter...

oldalum 2 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who was there, what was the video they showed about Thomas/John Travolta? There was never a description except to say it was funny.

Pam McCormick 2 years, 10 months ago

It was a pop up video comparing the ability of the two to dance (Travolta won as they showed clips from grease) and basketball as they showed travolta playing basketball in grease and T-Rob and some of his thunder dunks. It was really funny.

Pam McCormick 2 years, 10 months ago

I forgot to mention that they also showed some of T-Rob's dance moves from late night.

Kip_McSmithers 2 years, 10 months ago

After the video Thomas got a standing ovation.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

I want to know when Olivia Wilde is in the house.

RockChalkWoody 2 years, 10 months ago

1. He's a Super Bowl winning kicker from this year
  2. He's a former Chief
  3. He's building a home 45 minutes from AFH
  4. Santa Claus, Peter Rabbit, Snow White, and the ghost of Daniel Boone weren't available

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

While it's obvious that Coach Weis has ties to the Giants ... but not Lawrence Tynes.

This is kinda goofy.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 10 months ago

These are recruits and signees for KU who will be at game Saturday against Missouri.

Shabazz Muhammad, Jakarr Sampson, Brannen Green, Perry Ellis, Conner Frankamp, Julius Randle, Tony Parker.

1jhawk2 2 years, 10 months ago

That list of recruits and signees is freaking off the charts. It will be interesting to see how many minutes we will have to offer someone like Shabazz. You have coming in or back: Releford, Johnson, Tharpe, Ben McClemore, Anrio Adams. Adams and Tharpe may not factor to much, but still competition. Our bigs are going to be pretty deep as well minus experience.

If we get Randle and Shabazz, that would be badazz!

El Jay 2 years, 10 months ago

That list of recruits is ridic! Im expecting to get at least one commitment Saturday night after the game. AFH is going to be off the charts!!! Im looking for a big revenge win over those pussies in columbia! RCJH