Sunday, February 19, 2012

Keegan

Bobby Knight only semi-right

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 83-50 victory over Texas Tech on Feb. 18, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Texas Tech

Box score

The Kansas University basketball team’s reserves finally proved ESPN color commentator Bob Knight right. It just took them a few months.

More than once during Kansas games he has worked, Knight has said that the Jayhawks are deep. This is the same guy who repeatedly points out ways teams are leaving themselves vulnerable and so often looks like a prophet the very next possession.

His ability to feel what’s about to happen in a game makes it all the more shocking when Knight says Kansas has a deep bench. Huh?

Maybe he was seeing the future again when he said what he repeatedly said about KU’s depth.

More likely, the right opponent was in town Saturday for reserves to be able to showcase their skills.

Even on a night the starters weren’t as sharp as usual, they didn’t need help from the bench to defeat Texas Tech, 83-50, but it made for a more entertaining evening for an Allen Fieldhouse crowd warming up for Saturday’s explosion.

Reserves accounted for 31 of the points, the most entertaining seven delivered by walk-on-turned-scholarship-player Jordan Juenemann.

Kevin Young contributed 10 points and three steals. Conner Teahan nailed a trio of three-pointers and has made seven of 15 the past five games.

Naadir Tharpe, other than getting burned on defense shortly after making a three-pointer, played a productive 12 minutes that included a pair of steals.

Teahan will continue to play a lot to spell the perimeter players and force the defense to spread out to cover him because he can get hot, three points at a time. Justin Wesley will get his minutes and his personal fouls when the opposition has two tall post players. In other situations, Kevin Young will play. Of all the players on the bench, Young seems most likely to have a shot at increasing his minutes. How can he do that?

“Play harder,” Young said. “Play a lot harder.”

Defend better. Defend a lot better.

Young has had his moments, and when playing with confidence can produce offensively, scoring and on the boards. Saturday was his third double-digit scoring output. He opened the season with 13 points against Towson. And in the unquestioned highlight of his season, Young scored 14 points in a season-high 24 minutes against Ohio State, making six of eight field-goal attempts.

Against the strongest teams in the Big 12, he hasn’t fared as well, although in two games against Iowa State he did score nine points in 26 minutes. In the two Baylor games and the Missouri game, he was scoreless in 17 minutes.

Kansas will continue to rely on its starters more than most teams. Defensively, that fivesome is playing great, anchored by shot-blocker Jeff Withey in the back and by a strong perimeter trio that knows how to apply pressure and deny passes.

Offensively, the team has looked a little spotty at times lately, and Self explained how it needs to get back on track there.

“Sometimes, when you play against different defenses and some guys are denying some guys the ball, frustration sets in,” Self said. “It’s why we should throw the ball to Thomas (Robinson) every possession, because the more he touches it, the better passer he is. That goes for any big. Danny (Manning) will tell you this: When they never touch the ball, and then they touch it, they feel like they have to score.”

Texas A&M; defends well, so Kansas will need to figure out how to pound the ball inside against the Aggies, so that the Jayhawks will have fresh practice entering Saturday’s monster game against Missouri.

Comments

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

I thought this was one of Keegan's best articles. I was wondering if anyone was going to write about Knight's bizarre comments re KU having "great depth." And TK stayed on point in focusing on KU's depth through the whole article, rather than going off on tangents like he sometimes does.

Can't wait for Saturday!

John Randall 7 years, 4 months ago

I think BK may have been pointing out that all six (7,8?) 'regulars' are capable of scoring, not that we have numbers on the bench as we have in previous years. He is arrogant to think we should understand his points whether he is perfectly clear or not in stating them.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I didn't personally hear Knight's comments, but I was on the live blog during both games, and it was reported that Knight said we went 9 deep on two separate occasions (in two different games).

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years, 4 months ago

Knight actually said the Jayhawks go nine deep.

JD Roth 7 years, 4 months ago

Teahan, Young, Wesley, Tharpe, Juenemann, and Lindsay make KU 11 deep. aTm is the next victim.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 4 months ago

I think someone else wrote it for him lol. I wouldn't say we have great depth, but okay depth, but we will still be using Wesley, Young and Teehan as the main bench players unless a night like last night happens. As long as we play smart and avoid foul trouble we can succeed in March. The tv timeouts are longer and Self knows when to utilize his own timeouts to give our guys a breather. I am not thrilled with our bench, but we have a chance to not let it hurt us down the road.

Nathan Scholl 7 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes I think Bob Knight is in and out of consciousness during telecasts.....

mojayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

You've got to be kidding! Coach Knight is IN all of the time during telecasts, except when he's OUT, or during a "shot fake".

Bville Hawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't know about consciousness but I'm not sure he is always 100% sober during the telecasts.

BruceWayne 7 years, 4 months ago

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

That comment had no swearing or subjective language. Is someone as sensitive as the refs of the NC state game last night? What's the matter Keegs? I believe it was a quote of Bobby Knight. If it wasn't true you should post a rebuttal. This is Nazi quality censoring; just remove the remark and it never happened.

JurisJayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Now i really want to know what it said!

SDSurferFan 7 years, 4 months ago

Knight must just be thinking of previous KU teams. You would think ESPN would correct him. But they are too busy with the Linsanity and how they can correlate that with Tebow.

hawkmaster 7 years, 4 months ago

BK clearly appears to fade in and out of lucidity during telecasts. But he is laughing all the way to the bank with his paycheck, never prepared, never offers any unique insight and never gives us any behind the scenes stories which we don't know anyway.

In other words, he never shares with us the benefit of his years of great experiences and access to inside information.

I think this is his last hurrah, his final way to thumb his nose at the media that he detested all the years he coached - - well, I'll show them, if they want to pay the great BK then I will give them 2 hours of mindless drivel and exert no effort.

And Bret's man crush and incessant sucking up to BK should stop, its embarrassing....guys, keep your hands above the table.

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow!, hawkmaster! That's exactly what I was going to say.......except for the 'hands' part.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

Excellent analysis, hawkmaster. I'm glad there are people out there who are as frustrated and irritated about him as I am.

REHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Good insight, Self's reference to Dan Manning's knowledge regarding feeding the ball to big men. When they rarely touch the ball, they are inclined to try to score (rather than pass) when they do eventually touch it. T-Rob looked very frustrated last night. Didn't lessen his frustration, the fact that refs were allowing him to get bumped and shoved, forcing undeserved traveling calls. Our guards have to deliver that ball to him and Jeff. Those twin towers have just scratched the surface in developing the 4/5 punch, playing off each other. Not much time remaining to perfect that element of this squad's potential, with Madness approaching.

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

Those traveling calls the last several games could've and should've been fouls. I hope the team gets the memo to give TRob the ball on every possession good things will follow!

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

Most importantly they almost never should dribble a problem whithey was having early. Once he started going to the basket he became a scorer. When the big kids are little they learn to dribble it a couple of times before they shoot. In college this must stop, because it is likely to be stolen, and lately it has. Frank Martin says against a zone defense if you catch it in the zone you must pass it or shoot it but his rule is you never dribble it. I completely agree. Good post REHawk just had to add the no dribble comment as I feel it is most important.

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

One power dribble to solidify position in a one on one situation is OK, but in any other situation those fast little guards will swipe the ball.

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

There are a lot of bad announcers out there, but Bob Knight is absolutely, hands down the worst of them all. And it's ironic that he took the torch from Musburger, who is still the 2nd worst of them all. It blows my mind how Knight was able to win so many games as a coach, since he's such an idiot when talking about the game. I never played basketball--I was a wrestler--but I swear I know more about the game of basketball than he does. Hawkmaster, I hope you're right and that he's just throwing up his middle finger at everyone by intentionally being an idiot when he speaks, because it's almost embarassing how terrible he is.

Keith Kienzle 7 years, 4 months ago

I have always enjoyed Bob Knight. Maybe because i know it could get a lot worse (Vitale)

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

Worse than Dick V.? Heavens no! I can't stand the hyperbole from a failed coach. Bobby Knight was a very successful coach that does a good job of explaining the game in a way my mother (a casual fan) can understand it. I don't need the basics explained over and over and I don't always agree with the man, but I don't have 902 wins in college coaching either. And how is Bob Knight worse than Gregg Gurley? Listening to that guy is like listening to fingernails on a chalk board. If he wasn't a KU alum I would lodge an official complaint with the Jayhawk network, the local cable company, the FCC (for violating my ears with his nasty gravelly voice and for making me and everyone who listens to him dumber), and his mother for being a waste of a malformed egg.

Chandler James 7 years, 4 months ago

the worst announcer is Verne Lundquist. During the Texas game i learned that Elijah Robinson was playing hard and Danny Manning was Texas' all time leading scorer.

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

I feel bad for Lundquist. It's almost like he has alzheimers or something. Just completely fades out on names, teams, rules, where he is, etc.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 4 months ago

Nobody on this board will believe it, but I can't stand Vin Scully. I know, mark me as a sports announcer apostate, but his nasally sing-song voice sounds ridiculous. Now as far as his ability to call a game, I don't know what he's saying. I Just Can't Get Past The Voice.

It's like the line in Step Brothers when dude hates Will Ferrell's face. He just hates the face.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 4 months ago

Never thought about it like that.

And good article by Keegan. One of his best in a while.

Bill Kackley 7 years, 4 months ago

It amazes me how little the many people on this sight don't understand basketball, I could listen to Bob Knight (Coach) talk about this great game and how it should be played, all night long. Listen a little bit and learn.

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

You talkin' to me? Just because I think Bob Knight is an idiot doesn't mean that I don't understand basketball, and frankly I'm insulted by your insinuation. Listen and learn what? The one comment he seems to say over and over is that teams should run the ball up the floor more because that tires the other team out. Really? Gosh, teach me more.....

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

KUfaninPA Self absorbed much? You aren't the only uneducated poster on this site. At least you think you know more than the 2nd most winning coach in college history and not just Bill Self like many on here.

You must not listen at all. The main thing he loves is shot fakes. If you follow almost any announcer they question walking the ball up the court. Also he can break down a play better than anyone else by knowing how the defense will react not how they are supposed to react. Bob's job is to break down the play so the casual fan can understand and to entertain. Bob's not there to educate at a high level. Go sit on the bench if you want that kind of education.

Personally I think it's alright to walk the ball up the court if there is no chance of a fast break. This allows the team to rest a little on offense there are no breaks on defense. KU needs rest during the game since they are only 5 deep.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

Dylans, you just pointed out one of the reasons why Knight is an idiot: because he has done absolutely ZERO research and thinks KU has great depth, he's not aware that KU needs rest during the game.

"It amazes me how little the many people on this sight don't understand basketball ..."

Given that brilliant use of grammar (not to mention spelling), kackley, are you saying that you're amazed how much people on this "sight" understand basketball?

As for listening to Knight all night long, I assume that means you've learned by now how every third possession for most teams is the most crucial possession in the history of basketball?

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

I would say +1 actorman, but I'm not really sure what sort of childish slang that is, so I'll just say that I agree with you.

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

You are absolutely correct on the research department for BK. But as far as game analysis (breaking down plays, pointing out how a previous play set up the current play, pointing out poor fundamentals, etc.) there really isn't another commentator that is as consistently good. And the man is entertaining when he's allowed to be.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

Same old tired BS actorman. Nine deep, nine deep, nine deep you're a broken record. Can you count? Robinson, Withey, Taylor, Releford, Teehan, Johnson, Young, Wesley, Tharpe. Maybe you're just a grammar expert but you never learned to count. That goes for Keegan too. These nine guys have all played in several games. They were all in the rotation and important to the team. I'm sure they thought they contributed and considered themselves in the rotation. This nine man rotation comment by Knight has been beaten to death. Get over it, it's only a tiny bit of one game. Find something new to criticize, the world is waiting breathlessly for your next brilliant observation. If Bobby Knight called a press conference people would come if you or Keegan called one no one would be there.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

Since you're saying I'm spouting the same old BS, it might be nice if you'd actually read things I've said. The "9 deep" comment is only one of many idiotic and cliched things that Knight says. How about when he pointed out a brilliant play that pulled Withey away from the basket when Withey wasn't even IN the play?!? And keep in mind, this wasn't an instant analysis. This was at the end of halftime, so he had a chance to actually look at the play. And then there are all the stupid comments about how crucial a possession is with 8 minutes to go in the first half. There are other things too which I've pointed out previously. Yes, he can sometimes do a nice job breaking down a play, but the rest of the time he shows that he's putting extremely little, if any, effort into doing his job.

As for your comment re my inability to count, I can count enough to know that the KU bench is LAST in the Big XII in scoring. And that doesn't even count the turnovers and lack of defense by the bench. Perhaps your basketball IQ is very low, bobbysfissure, but FYI, "nine deep" means more than just the fact that nine people play in games. It means that nine people actually CONTRIBUTE to those games. Are you honestly going to tell me that Tharpe should be counted as part of that nine deep???? Are you going to say that Teahan is a solid sixth man? On past KU teams, Teahan would have been lucky to play five minutes a game, and now he's generally the first one off the bench. If you honestly believe that this team is nine deep, than you're even less informed about KU basketball than Bobby Knight is.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

In fact, you will learn a lot if you listen. Too many folks on here think they know every thing and they should sit around and nit pick everyone even one of the best coaches in college basketball history. I totally agree with your comments kadkley,

nb4ku 7 years, 4 months ago

If you don't like what people are saying on here, go somewhere else!! I listened to all you've had to say and haven't learned a thing. No one is arguing that he wasn't a great coach.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 4 months ago

I love Bob Knights commentating. I apreciate the imput of a former coach more than some journalism major, and even most former players. He says some goofy stuff sometimes; which is polarizing. In between his eccentricisms there is genuine insight though... Anyone on this board that seriously thinks they have a better understanding of the game than a coach with 5 final fours and 3 national championships are delusional.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

It has nothing to do with how much we understand the game. I doubt seriously that there's a single person here who thinks he or she knows more about basketball than BK. The problem is in Knight's complete lack of communication as far as sharing those insights. Yes, once in a while he'll do a good job of analyzing a play. But 90% of the time he's making completely inane or downright incorrect statements, so his few interesting comments get lost in the landslide of cr*p that spews from him.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 4 months ago

I think the one flaw BK has is that he doesn't break down a play instantly, and from a broadcaster's perspective that's what you do; however, when he does a replay after 2 minutes, he can break down the play that even a two year old can understand.

It seems like he does the shot fake comment about 3-5 times a half.

I think during the broadcasts he has said KU goes nine deep: TRob, TT, TRele, EJ, and JWithey (starting 5) CT, Wesley, Young, and Tharpe have made regular appearances and he is correct in saying we go 9 deep; however, CT plays considerable minutes, and Young and Wesley will play some games a lot and others won't see a minute. So Knight is right that we go 9 deep, it just seems in past games we would see TRob for 9-15 minutes off the bench not the 3-4 minutes that these bench players are producing.

I don't think Knight is the worst, I like his delayed breakdowns, especially when he talks about the 5 players on the court, or when he talks about how that play affected a play 2-4 plays later.

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

By that definition, aren't most teams 9 deep? I mean, looking thru the box scores from yesterday's games almost every team in the top 25 played 9-10 guys at some point. So if your claim is that he is technically correct in saying KU is 9 deep, you must also acknowledge that it is best case irrelevant, and worst case misleading.

Todd Hill 7 years, 4 months ago

The thing I like about BK is he talks about the game he is watching and not the ACC, Kentucky or the Big East. I am so tired of the term "Diaper Dandies".

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

Ok, the next time he calls a game I will have a notebook and pen to document all the moronic things he says. He overstates the obvious, he says things that aren't true, he is unprepared, and he is unprofessional. You are right about Vitale--he is bad too, but I don't think he's any worse than Knight.

ejlumus 7 years, 4 months ago

Possibly a stiff drink would help you during the broadcast.

I enjoy BK .......... for ALL his comments!

Carl O'Hair 7 years, 4 months ago

I am listening to Clark Kellogg and reading what you say about Bob Knight and wondering why we have to listen to Kellogg for the whole final tournament. Kellogg makes me sick to my stomach but he is better than Dickie V and you called Musburger and Knight worst and next to worst.

When will you be attacking the best color man who works college games all over the nation, Fran Fraschilla. That man knows more about each team he works games for from the West Coast to the Big 12 than anyone and hardly ever mentions anybody other than the teams playing. Knight is pretty good at that except he doesn't know the things about the teams playing that Fraschill always knows.

Jeremy Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

I think Fraschilla is great. He certainly knows his stuff, knows the teams and players, and is pretty enthusiastic about basketball. He's a guy I can listen to and learn from. And he never made it past the 2nd round of the tournament in his 3 appearances, so I guess we're to assume he was only mediocre as a coach? Some people make good announcers--some don't. Knight has 902 wins, national championships, and a gold medal. Do you think he knows more about basketball than Fraschilla? Probably. But as it transfers to calling a game on television, in my opinion the answer is no.

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 4 months ago

Can't say enough in favor of KY. Exactly what you want coming off the bench.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 4 months ago

I always thought that when you talked about a deep bench, you meant that the guys who came in off the bench were actually going to be close to equal to the starters they were replacing. For a couple years there we our bench ccasionally had more points than the starters by the end of the game. Take 2008 for example. Knight just seems to be counting noses.

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

Take last year for example. How many people thought KU's reserves last year would start anywhere else? Well, 5 of the top 6 players on this years team where reserves on last years team! 4 of 5 starters were backups last season. That won't happen next season. Someone's going to start, but I'm afraid this years backups won't improve enough to earn the starting spots. It'll be freshmen and seniors starting next season.

Debbie Mangen 7 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget to vote for the best fans in college sports! We have now fallen to 2nd, behind Purdue. Vote every day and besure to vote with all of your email accounts! Rock Chalk!

I Love College Hoops

Robert Brown 7 years, 4 months ago

Bob Knight is a coaching legend and I think his insight is valuable. I have heard him comment on several occasions that KU is deep, but that does not take away from his insight to the game. One thing come through in Knight's commentary is how much he values a possession. Notice how Knight talks about extending a lead after halftime. He talks a lot about running clock at the end of the game and frequently comments about empty possessions. I like that he comments on bad fouls. I think this KU team could improve if they had a similar mentality.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 4 months ago

Oldalumn,

In this game they were actually equal if not better...

S= Starters, B = Bench.

Minutes: S = 134, B=66.

Shooting: S=15/30 (0,50), B=12/18 (0.67).

3 Points: S=4/8 (0.50), B=5/7 (.0.71).

FT: S =18/26 (0.69), B=2/2 (1.00).

Rebounds: S = 24, B = 5.

Steals: S = 7, B = 6.

TO: S = 10, B = 3.

Points: S = 52, B = 31.

As you can see, the Bench performed as well or better than the starters.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

Good stats, JayHawkFan, and there's no doubt that the bench had a great game. The problem is that they haven't done it most of the season, and that KU won't usually be going against a team as undermanned as TT.

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

On the surface your analysis is correct. But you have to understand these stats aren't accumulated in a vacuum. The points scored by Juenemann during garbage time are not necessarily equal to the 7 points scored by Tyshawn in the first half of the game.

And really this is a poor game to point to and to try support Knight's claim as to how deep we are. Consider Keegan's comments here:

"But it’s not as if Kansas coach Bill Self is going to change his rotation based on one game against the least-experienced, last-place team in the Big 12. The bench scored 31 points Saturday, which was just five more than the output in Lubbock.

Going to a place like Manhattan to face a hungry, physical Kansas State team, where the bench scored two points, is a better indicator."

Everything has to be looked at in context. I'm happy the bench came in and produced while letting our starters rest more than they normally do. But when we play aTm their contributions will most likely be less, and then against Misery it will probably be even less.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 4 months ago

This is why I qualified my post by indicating that it was for the TT game. If the bench can keep up the good work, it could make a big difference. It was nice to see Releford get 12 points; that is the production I would love to see in future games.

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

I understand you were talking about just the Tech game, but when you addressed your post to oldalum my assumption was that it was to refute his claim that Knight was merely "counting noses." Perhaps I misunderstood the context of your reply to him.

Let's hope Knight wasn't watching the game yesterday, or the next time he calls one of our games he might proclaim that we are 12 or 13 deep!

As for Releford, I agree. I've long since been saying we need another perimeter scorer. I think per game we need to get a combined 18-20 points from EJ & Releford.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 4 months ago

Good info, JayHawk. I wouldn't have thought that from just watching. Unfortunately we don't play Texas Tech every game. I can't see them doing that well against MU or most of the other teams we play. I've always thought that's why Self just sprinkles a few in with the starters so they get experience and the starter gets rest without jeopardizing the outcome of the game. Sometimes there's a lot of improvement over the summer. Let's hope this is one of those summers.

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

Dylans, kackley, hawkinator, etc, - easy with the Bob Knight love-fest. First of all, just because the guy was a great coach it does not mean that success translates to being a good announcer/analyst. It is like this in all aspects of sports. Often the best players don't make the best coaches; Bill Self was not an all-american player, nor was Bob Knight, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc. John Wooden was, so crossover success is not unheard of). Similarly, the best coaches don't usually make the best commentators. ESPN hired him because they figured his personality would attract more viewers. This is the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh to their ESPN Countdown crew.

Obviously people don't think they have more overall basketball knowledge than Knight, but passionate KU fans probably do know more about our own team than he does, as is evidence by his repeated gaff of claiming we are a deep team (some of the Bob Knight fan club's excuses for him doing this is high comedy). Could we explain basketball in general better? No. And maybe to the casual basketball fan that doesn't know anything his "dumbing it down" is what ESPN is wanting. But very seldom do I hear anything from him worthy of his 902 career wins. No special insight that you can't hear from Clark Kellogg, Greg Gurley, or any of the other announcers that people claim to hate.

Personally I don't mind him nor think he is among the worst. But I don't think he is especially good.

milehighhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Give me Gus Johnson & Jay Bilas every game, and I'd be happy!

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

No doubt! Those two are head & shoulders above everyone else, and ironically those two aren't Hall of Fame coaches. I just don't understand it...how is it possible that they are better than Bob Knight? (sarcasm intended)

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 4 months ago

I am irritated when he goes into one of his long explanations of the proper way to execute a play that happened five minutes back, and lets it run on into action that has resumed on the floor.

Gordon Penny 7 years, 4 months ago

I love Bobby KNight. I love his perspective on the game, and his knowledge, and his willingness to share it on the air. He doesn't get caught up in all the boring BS that is not happening in the game as do most others. I wish we could have him every game.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Let's face it, the fact that Coach Knight even wears a headset and takes money for doing this is pretty ironic. And, vice versa, that he's allowed to. The disdain that he had and the venom that was always released during those days at IU is legendary.

To think that he is now "part" of the establishment that he once had no respect for shouldn't be confused with his passion for teaching the game of basketball. What many people confuse is his interest in being a play-by-play analyst rather than his real purpose in providing the "teaching moments" that coaches involved in the game are most likely thinking or verbalizing. True, there are plenty of former coaches calling games on TV. But, I think most of them either have a need to be connected to the game and are past their prime, or they love the spotlight. Coach Knight doesn't need the spotlight and could still coach at any level sucessfully. He just loves being the analyst for his personal satisfaction. I'll put up with the derailed antedotes and ramblings just to listen to his insight and experience. Musberger probably is the only one who he wants to work with and will work with him. So, it's a happy couple.

When March Madness comes along, most of you, in truth, would take Knight and Musberger rather than some of the teams that some of these games will be called by since there are so many games in such a short span of time. .

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of the bench, when did the actaul "bench" get replaced with chairs? Now, that's a good trivia question, if I don't mind saying so myself. On your mark, get set....Google!

dylans 7 years, 4 months ago

Bob Knight was throwing chairs decades ago!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 4 months ago

Good thing the actual bench had already been replaced with chairs or somebody could've gotten hurt! So, nobody came up with an answer to my question regarding the transition?

REHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Here's the best thing to be considered and appreciated when we see Bob Knight sitting at the announcer's table for one of our contests: Drooly Dick Vitalis is most likely posted somewhere east of the Mississippi, crooning about the prowess of Roy and Mike and East Coast basketball.

BReakinggOOd 7 years, 4 months ago

Bobby Knight has always been a polarizing figure & a contradiction in so many ways. While undoubtedly a very successful coach in his previous career, he has a long & undistinguished record of treating other human beings with disdain & disrespect. & there is NEVER any excuse or justification for that.

Now, as a media broadcaster & analyst, he has become a member of the sports press community that he so routinely critized & disrespected as a coach. He fails to adequately prepare for his broadcasts & frequently makes glaring mistakes as a result (The following observations are from the KU vs. KSU telecast). KU should go far in the NCAA's because of their "deep bench" that goes 9 deep? When have you ever heard a broadcaster call out "nope" or "miss" when a shot is in the air? When have you ever seen a broadcaster roll around & suck on a piece of hard candy in his mouth, on-camera during the pre-game while talking at the same time? It's as if the broadcast powers that be are afraid to correct or criticize Knight's misbehaviors & faulty comments & just allow him to be "himself" on camera. Regardless of whether you like Bobby Knight or not, there is no excuse for his lack of preparedness or unprofessional behavior.

PurePierce 7 years, 4 months ago

22-5... Rank 4,5... Five losses, how many were caused by our bench? Zero. Maybe a couple could be blamed on fatigue due to extended minutes, maybe not. Not deep? How many teams in the NCAA have five lockdown defenders. How many teams have offenses led by players as good as TT, TRob and JW? One, maybe. And lest I be remiss, I'll add one more name to our depth chart, HCBS, match that all you nine-deepers!

Is our bench overpowering? No, but they give the starters a break while not giving away the game. In fact, with TRob on the bench a couple of games ago we actually wiped out a deficit.

We have depth, more than almost anyone else. It's just that our depth is depth of talent, front-loaded, not in numbers. I'll take our kind of depth any day.

actorman 7 years, 4 months ago

PurePierce, all you're doing here is emphasizising how great the starters are. No one is disputing that; without the tremendous starting lineup this year, KU wouldn't even in the running for an NIT berth. But depth has nothing to do with how many lockdown defenders are in the starting lineup; it has to with how much the bench contributes. Yes, I realize that KU had the great comeback with TRob on the bench recently, but you know that's a fluke. For evidence of how weak the bench is, just look at the average minutes per starter and compare it to any of Self's previous years. If Self truly had confidence in the bench, they would be playing a lot more than they have been.

Let's just hope that none of the starters get hurt or in foul trouble in the tournament; otherwise it could be another early exit.

REHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, even with his personal baggage, lack of preparation and casual flub-ups at the mic, I will take Knight over 2/3 of the announcers out there. His coach's view and coachspeak provide intriguing dialogue for fans who hope to gain depth of insight into action on the floor. It is only natural that he repeats what he sees, time and again, game after game. He was a very demanding coach whose style was built on repetitive foundations. Bill Self has developed his own personal winning style, with accompanying unique elements which, probably, sometimes bump against the manner in which Knight taught and views winning basketball. If his specific knowledge of this Jayhawk squad is so carelessly misconstrued that he really thinks we are 9 deep, then he is prone to drift off into such criticism as the way in which TT brings the ball upcourt too slowly. Most posters on this site understand that, with our lack of bench depth, Tyshawn is actually gleaning a few seconds of rest for himself and teammates who might have to play 34+ minutes.

justanotherfan 7 years, 4 months ago

Let's be honest. This is not a deep KU team.

In a close game, Bill Self isn't looking for big minutes from his bench. All of those guys are solid players, but I doubt you see them getting much run in a Sweet Sixteen game. Teahan, Young, Wesley, Tharpe, etc. can all be effective in spots, but when the competition is high they just aren't at the level where we can say they can be on the floor for 18-22 minutes.

To me, that's where you show depth. Can a guy play more than 15 minutes against a good opponent and hold his own. In a short stint sure, guys can hit a couple of shots and maybe not get exploited on the defensive end, or handling the ball or whatever. But over extended stretches, the ball will find you, and the defense will find you, and the pressure will find you. That's where depth is tested and those guys haven't handled it yet. Next year, they will likely contribute to an extremely deep team, but that's not the case right now.