Kansas defeats Texas Tech, 83-50

• 7 p.m., Feb. 18, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Originally published February 19, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated February 19, 2012 at 01:42a.m.

Bench-clearing rout: Ex-walk-on Jordan Juenemann hits for 7, career high

Kansas guard Jordan Juenemann puts in a bucket past Texas Tech defenders Jaye Crockett, left, and Deshon Minnis during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 83-50 victory over Texas Tech on Feb. 18, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Texas Tech

Box score

Kansas University senior walk-on Jordan Juenemann was playing press defense for the Red Team — the scout team — 10 minutes into practice on Jan. 13 when KU director of basketball operations Barry Hinson appeared on the Allen Fieldhouse floor.

“Coach (Bill) Self yelled, ‘Jordan!’ and I thought I was in trouble. Like, ‘What did I do?’” Juenemann said, entering storyteller mode after Saturday’s 83-50 home rout of Texas Tech.

“Coach said, ‘Coach Hinson has something to show you with these papers.’ Right when I got to coach Hinson, coach Self said to the team, ‘Jordan is getting ready to sign his scholarship papers.’ Right there I had a feeling I can’t even describe. Coming in as a freshman, my goal was to do that. To have that accomplished ... I’m just proud,” added the former Hays High standout, a walk-on no more.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Juenemann resembled a true scholarship athlete in exploding for a career-high seven points off 3-of-3 shooting (1-for-1 from three) while playing the final four minutes Saturday. He was one of nine KU players to score on a night the bench chipped in 31 points.

“I told our guys, ‘I’ll have a set of parents mad at me. I should be playing him more,’” Self said, lauding Juenemann after KU improved to 22-5 overall and 12-2 in the Big 12. Tech fell to 8-18, 1-13.

“The four minutes he played, he played great. It’s good to see him be aggressive and make shots. I put him on scholarship second semester. It seems he works even harder. He made the most of his opportunity tonight.”

Juenemann surpassed his old career high of six points against Tennessee Tech on Nov. 27, 2009.

“It was a blast,” Juenemann said. “Before the game, coach said ‘We have just three (home) games left.’ He gave me four minutes of opportunity. It was so much fun.”

All’s well that ended well for KU on a night that started on what Self called “kind of a downer.”

A power surge in the fieldhouse knocked out the videoboard screen at an inopportune time, during introductions when the pregame highlight video (the one capped by Mario Chalmers’ game-tying three in the 2008 national title game) blares and fires up the crowd and the team. The video was shown at halftime.

“I told the guys, ‘There’s no highlight film, so let’s make our own highlights,’” Self said.

The Jayhawks hit their first six shots in rolling to a 14-7 lead. KU led, 44-22, at halftime, then looked a bit lethargic in outscoring Tech, 39-28, the second half.

“We did some good things in the second half, but we’re not very mature at all,” Self said. “I knew we were in trouble in the first half (with 7:19 left) when they do the Thomas Robinson bit (pop-up video) on the board, and everybody watches it, and the guys are out there watching it, laughing and smiling, and the officials are smiling with ’em. I thought there’d be a chance we could lose focus.

“We are so immature in some ways, and when we get challenged we are terrific. Certainly the second half wasn’t anything to write home about, but we did have some great possessions on both ends in the second half.”

Robinson led the way with 16 points off 6-of-10 shooting with eight rebounds in 24 minutes. Travis Releford had 12 points, Conner Teahan 11, Kevin Young 10, Jeff Withey and Tyshawn Taylor nine apiece to go with Juenemann’s seven and Elijah Johnson’s six. Naadir Tharpe hit a three.

“When we share it, we are pretty good,” said Self, whose Jayhawks had 20 assists (Robinson led the way with five) against 13 turnovers; Tech had 11 assists to 20 turnovers. “They went triangle-and-two and box-and-one, and we didn’t share it. Guys went off on their own, and I didn’t like it much at all. I took Ty and Thomas out for a while because I didn’t feel we were sharing it the way we should, and they should spearhead everything. When Ty and Thomas are the most unselfish kids, everyone is going to follow. Thomas made some great plays passing in the second half. Ty did some things there late a little better, but that was a good win. We were solid.”

KU will meet Texas A&M at 8 p.m. Wednesday in College Station, Texas.

Comments

stm62 2 years, 10 months ago

Juenemann- Another possible hidden gem ?

KULA 2 years, 10 months ago

So what's it take to get a blocked shot stat? Seems like I saw Jeff deflect at least 6 or 7 shots, but he only ends up with 4 blocks.

tdscpa 2 years, 10 months ago

His best block was called a foul. (See picture above.) Hard to put up good stats when the refs don't want to let you.

PurePierce 2 years, 10 months ago

At one point I thought he should have had about 10 blocks so I looked at a couple of them and the shooter had thrown the ball almost straight up in the air, missing the basket by a mile, but also eluding Jeff's hand, a non-block block. Great plays, but tough luck for the stats.

KULA 2 years, 10 months ago

They probably would have been recorded as blocks if Jeff played for Kentucky.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Gee. All it takes is a scholarship and a role player suddenly tries to emulate J. Lin (New York Knicks phenom). Congrats and great shootin' JJ. Hmmm. Didn't Duke have a JJ that could shoot lights out.

Change of subject. We all know that Shabazz M. will be visiting the Phog for the Mizzery game. On Scout.com they mention that other 5 star recruits are expected for the same game on Feb. 25th. I don't subscribe to Scout.com's services so I am curious as to who else has plans to attend?

2 years, 10 months ago

This is a list I saw on twitter, Shabazz M, Tony Parker, Brannen Greene (already a Jayhawk) Chris Walker and JaKarr Sampson. Not sure of their rankings depend which list you read.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Mahalo. I know it's a business and they (meaning the recruiting information services) have to make money to make it worth while. But I wish they would supply just a whiff more information, rather than teasing you into subscribing to their services.

KUFan90 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the explanation of who J. Lin is. I've been off planet the last couple of weeks and had no idea who you were talking about. ; )

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Sarcasm accepted. ;-?

Take my LIn explanation as a slap to the recruiting services teasing the reader but supplying no information. (Read my response just above.)

doolindalton 2 years, 10 months ago

Juenemann is a very good basketball player, fundamentally sound and he hustles. Very deserving and I hope he gets into the rotation.

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

I thought the guys looked rested and that was good to see. Hopefully we can even get through Texas A&M in a similar fashion so that some of the starters can spend some time on the bench. Especially because it's a 3 day turnaround for the Misery game.

oldalum 2 years, 10 months ago

Yes, followed by a one day turnaround for Oklahoma State.One of those Saturday-Monday things. Going to be pretty tough.

AirCapJay 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the Oklahoma State game is going to be the toughest left on our schedule.

Alohahawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Agree.

On paper, KU seems to have a slight edge in their last four games. But I think I'd rather have MU's schedule. It just seems like the easier of the two slates.

KU plays 8th place TAM away (Won by 10 at KU) Plays tied for 1st MU at home. (Lost by 3 at MU) Plays 7th place OSU away (Won by 15 at home) Plays 5th place Texas at home (Won by 3 at Texas)

If they beat TAM & MU, KU should be ranked in the top 3 or 4, which makes them a huge target for OSU. And Texas always plays KU tough.

MU plays 5th place KSU at home (Lost by 16 at KSU) Plays tied for 1st KU away (Won by 3 at MU) Plays tied for 3rd ISU at home (Won by 7 at ISU) Plays 10th place TT away (Won by 13 at MU)

KSU has given KU a big assist towards their 8th conference championship by beating MU and Baylor. Would be another nice "gift" if they were to upset MU at Columbia. But I don't see that happening.

Edward Daub 2 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see Jordan play against Mizzou. I think he could clamp down on some of those Misery Munchkins.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

JJ proclaims, "It was a blast. He gave me four minutes of opportunity. It was so much fun." Any players, especially walk-ons or transfers, must understand from the getgo, the essence of Jordan's mindset to bounce off the bench, play as energetically as T-Rob, Tyshawn and Kevin (well, heck, all of this squad's starters, at this juncture), and cherish the opportunity to contribute, even for very limited minutes. I can envision Jordan providing those same 4 energetic minutes for a very tired Tyshawn or Elijah if we should run into another VCU in this year's Tournament.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I feel a bit more comfortable, considering that our starters were awarded two days off this past week, then did not have to play 30+ stressful minutes in yesterday's game. The upcoming Wednesday/Saturday schedule might be a bit less brutal, from an injury or exhaustion standpoint.

melrank 2 years, 10 months ago

Off topic, but I thought this was the best place to get the answer.

What's up with the kid from Ottawa KS named Semi Ojeleye? It looks like he's rated as the #39 player in the class of 2013 by ESPN. He has lots of offers from BCS programs but no mention of Kansas. Just wondering if anyone knew why he's not on our radar.

RCJH

Dan Cook 2 years, 10 months ago

His brother plays for KState and they're a KSU family. He would not go to KU.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

Best chant of the night. "You let the whole team down!"

Hadn't heard that one before. LMFAO!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know when it started at KU, but people have been chanting that for years.

AsadZ 2 years, 10 months ago

Jordan is being groomed for Xtreme Muscle Ball in March. He will not disappoint.

HawkWatcher 2 years, 10 months ago

Its good to see they are losing focus now, so Self can correct it for that Mizzou game ;)

ejlumus 2 years, 10 months ago

I have a theory ,,,, prove me wrong. Any team, no matter the sport , can play consecutive games at a peak (110%) level. The nc final 4 game was not a full game, 2nd half was a struggle.

A big concern is the game after the missery game with okie state on big monday.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

stm62/doolindalton/westvirginiahawk/REHawk/AsadZ: You all are on crack cocaine. We are not Nebraska.

On Withey's block (picture above), what do the refs not understand about the principle of verticality? This was one of the worst calls all season (and there have been a lot). But, as usual, the referee goes on, unpunished. Next time he'll do this with 1 minute left in a tie game. And it's just his judgment. Folks get fired in other jobs for bad judgment. It is just inconceivable how anyone could have called that a foul.

KY had a good game. But at the appx. 2:35 mark first half, watch KY on defense. This is a perfect example. I like the guy. But I have really never seen someone react slower to his offensive man driving around him. His man just went easily around him to the hoop. Flat footed, no slide, no reaction, just a feeble turn and look.

KY is playing now because Wesley is worse as a total package. Wesley is a bit better defensively .. barely .. but is a foul machine. Grabbing, pulling, etc. And Wesley suffers from what the refs do all the time. They'll call fouls on guys like Wesley because it's a freebie. They aren't calling it on a starter, doesn't get Self too riled, and keeps KU's foul numbers up. They do this with every team, not just KU. But Wesley brings most of it on himself. Constantly out of position and reaching.

Back to KY .. unless his defense improves, his role won't increase next season. But it is all we have now. He while he brings some offensive help, it is hard to get past how bad he is defensively. Again, it's all we have. And I think, on the whole, it's better than Wesley.

oldalum 2 years, 10 months ago

Poor Wesley. I think he gets his first foul as soon as his feet hit the floor when he gets up in the morning.

rwhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Didn't they call EJ for his swipe before the big block?

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

For anyone wondering why refs are perceived to be completely unaccountable for anything they do incorrectly...

...I present to you, Exhibit A:

Granted, this is an ACC official, but the general attitude--that an official's judgement is akin to infallible holy decree--is a nationwide epidemic. If an official is immune to discipline for behaving inappropriately for overstepping his responsibilities, then how in the world can we expect them to be disciplined for doing their ACTUAL job poorly?

If I were Tom Gugliotta or Chris Corchioni, I would be suing the pants off of the ACC, if for no other reason than to make an example of the power-crazed zebra who goes by the name "Karl Hess".

HawkWatcher 2 years, 10 months ago

swkhawk24 2 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone have a link to the Thomas Robinson video that played on the video board during a time out? I'd like to see what everyone's talking about.

oldalum 2 years, 10 months ago

I think those videos are trademarked or something, but I had a friend at the game and this was her answer when I asked about the video:

It was a comparison between Thomas Robinson and John Travolta, asking which was better. First they compared how well each dances (Travolta from "Grease" and TR from a "Late Night") and calling it a tie. Then they compared how well they play basketball, showing Travolta from "Grease" again and then a short montage of Robinson making amazing plays. Not surprisingly, Robinson came out on top.

flyingfinn 2 years, 10 months ago

I love these walk on kids, they all work extremely hard plus keep up with their grades, know I am old but what college athletics should be about. Jordan has made many scholastic teams, great to see him get a scholarship!!!!

mispay4ku 2 years, 10 months ago

I was at the game and the Thomas Robinson bit (pop-up video) was hilarious! Everyone stood up and gave a huge appreciative applause. Fun game! There is no place like AFH.

Jackster 2 years, 10 months ago

I also made the game last night and paid $133 per ticket just to get in Allen., It was worth every penny wathcing from the rafters. My son and his best friend joined in; we made a 4 hour drive each way and left with a big smile the whole way home. What a great environment. The T-Rob video was classic (and fun to watch T-Rob watch the video during a time out)....and although I was disappointed that they did not play the opening video at the beginning of the game, it was great to see at the start of the 2nd half. We will be back for the Mizzou game on Saturday!!!

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

HighEliteMajor: If you've had time to sober up today, please run that crack cocaine comment by once again, for benefit of my understanding. Nebraska?

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

Based on the posters he singled out, my guess is he thinks you all have gone overboard on your expectations for Juenemann. Suggesting that he should be playing against Misery, in the tournament, etc. I do tend to agree with HEM on this point,that if he wasn't good enough to crack the rotation to this point we shouldn't reasonably expect him to play major minutes or contribute in any other capacity than he has been throughout his career, and expecting him to do more at this point based on a couple of productive garbage-time minutes against the worst team in our conference is a bit of a reach.

I'm not sure what he means by "we are not Nebraska." I don't follow them with any regularity now that they are in the B1G, so can't speak to any similarities between maybe playing former walk-ons. I will say this about Juenemann - what exactly is the difference between him and Connor? Or Wesley? We're already playing two former walk-ons that have been given scholarships. Juenemann would just be the third. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Self might insert him in a game or two in a situation that is not strictly mop-up time. But if we're counting on him during the tournament, it is not good. Most likely means there's been an injury to one of our starters, or Connor.

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

Love the "crack the rotation" part!!! Thanks!!!!

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

My capacity to envision almost anything is without limit....