Friday, February 17, 2012

Self raves about Tyshawn Taylor’s big-time Big 12 play

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor pulls up for a jumper over Kansas State defenders Rodney McGruder and Angel Rodriguez during the second half on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Tyshawn Taylor’s play of late has thrown him into the discussion at the very least for Big 12 Player of the Year honors.

“Have we ever had a player since I’ve been here that’s played better over a six-week period that’s a guard than what Tyshawn has? Tell me,” KU coach Bill Self said at Thursday’s weekly news conference in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Sherron (Collins) didn’t have a stretch like this; Mario (Chalmers) didn’t have a stretch like this, because they played on teams where they could defer. This team he can’t defer. He’s been pretty solid for us.”

Taylor, in fact, is the Big 12’s second leading scorer through 13 games.

He’s averaged 18.5 points per game, which puts him behind Texas’ J’Covan Brown (20.2 ppg) and ahead of teammate Thomas Robinson (17.8). Missouri’s Marcus Denmon (17.2), Kansas State’s Rodney McGruder (16.3) and Texas A&M’s Elston Turner (16.2) are all over the 16.0 ppg mark.

Taylor — he ranks fifth in assists at 5.0 per game (eighth in assist/turnover ratio) and is tied for fourth in steals at 1.54 per game — of course, doesn’t figure to beat out the 6-10 Robinson in player-of- the-year voting, considering Robinson averages a double-double with 11.8 rebounds a game in 13 league contests.

Still, to be mentioned as a possibility ... not a bad accomplishment for the Jayhawks’ senior playmaker.

“I think Thomas is Big 12 Player of the Year,” Self said. “I think you could make a case for Ty and make a case for Denmon (Marcus, Missouri guard). To me, I think those three have distanced themselves from the other really good players to have a chance for Big 12 Player of the Year.

“A guy that has a chance to be National Player of the Year probably would be the safer bet to be conference player of the year,” Self added of Robinson, who averages 17.8 points (third in league) and a league-leading 12.0 rebounds in all games played. Taylor is fifth in scoring in all games played (16.9) and fifth in assists (5.12).

Self was asked how Taylor’s skill set compares to other point guards he’s coached.

“I’d say he’s unique because I’m not sure I’ve ever coached anybody that tall, that long and that fast,” Self said. “He doesn’t think the game like Deron (Williams, Illinois) or Aaron (Miles, KU). He doesn’t have the energy that Dee (Brown, Illinois) had. He doesn’t have the ability to make the shots consistently like Sherron (Collins) had, but none of them had the speed he has or the courage to get in there and make plays.”

Taylor has hit 47.9 percent of his floor shots and 43.1 percent of his threes, but just 65.8 percent of his free throws — 59.7 percent in league action.

“I don’t worry about free throws. I never have. I worry about turnovers,” Self said. “We can practice that (free-throw shooting). He has to have some courage, faith, confidence he can make ‘em. Ty is one of those guys who is never going to be an 85 percent shooter. That’s not who he is. He should be a guy that makes them when it counts because he’s a winner.”

Self said he “loves” coaching the senior.

“I like kids with personality, but when you have kids with personality and that are stubborn and strong-willed, it creates confrontation. I would rather have a guy have a confrontation with me than have a guy that’s soft and backs away,” Self said. “He is my kind of guy. I don’t know if I could enjoy coaching a kid more than I have enjoyed coaching him the last couple of months. I think he knows I’m enjoying coaching him, which is probably more than he’s known for a period of time since he’s been here.

“Look at the things that have gotten him in trouble: Tweeting and Facebook. When you talk about guys who have had bad experiences in college, they’re not really talking about those types of things. Those are things that maybe go unnoticed if you play at a place that isn’t as high profile as a place like this, but he brings it on himself. He gets in his own way a lot. He has certainly matured and corrected that many times over this past year.”

The bottom line ... “He’s had a great career. There have only been three or four other players that have ever put up the numbers he has from his position at our school,” Self said. “Of course, he’s also started for four years, so it’s easy to put up numbers when you start for four years. He’s been inconsistent, but for the most part terrific.”

Academic All-Big 12: KU seniors Jordan Juenemann and Conner Teahan were named to the Academic All-Big 12 team Thursday. Juenemann made the 11-player first team; Teahan the second team. KU leads the Big 12 with 48 all-time Academic All-Big 12 selections; Texas is second with 37. First-teamers have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA while the second team selections hold a 3.00 to 3.19 GPA.

Rest: Self gave the Jayhawks two days off following Monday night’s win at Kansas State.

“The batteries are recharged, and everybody’s feeling good,” Self said. “There’s no excuses. We gave ‘em two days off. We’ll practice hard today and tomorrow, and we’ll be ready to play (vs. Texas Tech at 7 p.m., Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse).”

Confident in Withey: Self said 7-footer Jeff Withey is the tallest player he’s sent to the line to shoot technical foul shots.

“We had a guy at Illinois who was 7-3, Nick Smith, and a great free-throw shooter but we also had Deron and Dee and Luther (Head) so he never got a chance to shoot them.”

League race: The Jayhawks are fully aware they are tied with Missouri for first place in the league at 11-2.

“In our room we have a board that we update the standings every day. We take great pride in looking at that stuff,” Self said. “Now, we don’t talk about ‘this team has them left.’ All you do is play it one game or one week at a time.”

Comments

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Respectfully disagree, coach. Taylor is an absolute warrior, but Sherron was as fearless and courageous as anyone who ever put on a Kansas jersey.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I disrespectfully agree with your stupid comment

I obviously have better insight than Bill, and that obviously was my point. Thanks for your nuanced analysis

Kirk 2 years, 8 months ago

You assume that Bill, in speaking to the media, is offering some kind of objective "grasp on the situation", rather than positioning stuff as he likes it, both for the various voters of awards and to motivate his own dudes. Rarely will Self or any other coach or leader speak to the media to offer insight for its own sake. Think: positioning, not insight.

Micky Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Hmm. Is that you Jesse or Tom, or one of your bosses?

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

TT has moved into most mock draft board late 1st rounds. So has Withey! I don't think he will make the jump though. Has anyone heard if he's thinking about leaving early?

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Jeff might leave if he keeps moving up.

Why not? If you go from a complete unknown to a 1st round pick, then it would be almost ridiculous not to. This isn't football where there are 7 rounds, you can't pull an Andrew Luck and come back one more year and hope that you will still have a high draft pick. College basketball has a new group of young players coming in every year competing to be a lottery pick, why take that chance and have a sub par year and not get drafted?

Take the money and run.

Sure that hurts for next season, but the bullets are on the table all coach has to do is reload.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

This was a quote from an article after the Baylor game:

“I am blessed to be where I’m at (KU),” Withey said. “If I can even be blessed to have the opportunity to make a decision, I’ll make the decision at that time. As of right now, I’m just trying to play one game.”

Take from that what you will as to whether he's thinking about leaving or not.

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

Salt, Nobody's comments are "stupid" including yours. That said, consider why Self is saying this. TT was and is a great player, but didn't have a chance to show prior years because of the deep bench. Whenever TT turnedover or made a mistake, Self pulled him. Now, Self can't but to witness what a kid has. I'm sure Self is amused and tickled with TT. The kid took his HS team to the NC twice(?). That says something about the kid's heart & will - in addition to his talent. Sherron may have been fearless and courageous - but so is the senior TT - but Sherron hog the ball way too much. Sherron was a control freak who didn't know when to pass the ball. Don't get me wrong I love Sherron - no guard could dribbling so low. As senior, TT gets & accepts the team playing more than Sherron. Been in awe with TT"s amazing speed for the last 4 years.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

I think technically you have to be with Salt on this, Sherron comes into the national championship game, grabs a steal, buries a three from the corner, courage unquestionable. Maybe people jumped at Salt a bit 'cause he's nit-picking HCBS's comments. I will pile on with though, love TT and all the Jayhawk players that have come through and give their all to the KU nation. Still, times in the past we really needed TT to step up and make plays, like against MSU in the Sweet16 a few years ago, and he was (as has been mentioned before) perhaps too afraid to try anything because coach might pull him or because the fans might get on him. Never an issue with Collins, I dare anyone to argue with that. I say both SC and TT have been bulldogs for KU, they don't let go, always ready if you lighten up for an instance to snatch it away from you whether that means a steal, a drive to the basket, taking an open jumper, this year TT's switch is always in the "ON" position just like SC's was. This year TT is a lion, maybe it's because HCBS is so supportive, maybe it's because of the shallow bench, maybe he just finally has come into a zone, he's a senior and he knows this team needs him more than the past few. Bottom line, I don't think Self would pick one over the other of TT and SC if you asked him who played with the most courage on the court. If you asked that question straight up about the other guards in that list against TT he'd tell you TT I imagine.

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

Technically, you have a selective memory. it was Sherron who drove it to the basket with 3 taller Memphis jerseys waiting to block his shot that would have tied the game at 62 with 20.4 sec. There 2 KU players who were open, one was Brandon Rush. Sherron thought he could do it all, to team's detriment sometimes. His height and speed didn't allow him to drive and score the way TT can and has, and Sherron neither acknowledged or accepted that. But Sherron made up with a steal and dropping 3 pt to put KU56:60 with 1:45 on the clock. It was also Sherron who committed some lousy fouls (at least one) that would have put KU in a better position against Memphis. Sherron was great as soph? in 08, but didn't quite make the improvements as TT has in his senior year. Sorry, I love Sherron, but TT is better balanced and the scale tips in his favor despite the turnovers. But i contribute his TOs from his fatigue, and playing with a stick on his finger, other injuries. He's still a work in progress from not having played 35+ mins in his 3 years at KU until now. We are seeing a different and much better TT in Feb2012 than Sherron as senior. That's all I have to say :-)

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

You can't even remember what the topic of discussion was so don't give me any crap about selective memory. That's "all you have to say," and yet you said nothing about courage. So all your argument and information would be great if any of it pertained to the topic Salt brought up which was "courage." You'll have to try again HW. Let me get you on topic, how about the courage to handle the rock with the reigning NBA MVP guarding him and get it to Mario for the OT forcing 3-pointer? NUTS!

At no point was Salt or myself trying to insult TT, just sticking up for Collins who put up 11pts 4brds 6asts 3 stls off the bench in the NC game as a Soph, carried the '08-'09 team as a junior to a 14-2 conference record winning a share of the Big12 title and led the '09-'10 team to 33-3 (15-1) winning the Big12 title outright followed by winning the Big12 tourney. DUDE...HAD...NUTS

I appreciate the fact you've got respect for TT, that's awesome. Without doubt we'll be lucky to have more like him come through Lawrence.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

I can see your point, SaltLake, but I actually disagree with him on another point: I would hardly use the word "consistent" to describe Sherron's shooting, and I'm surprised that Self would. There's no doubt that when Sherron was on he was practically unstoppable. But we all saw those games where he couldn't make anything. I would say he was much more of a streak shooter than a consistent shooter, and Tyshawn has actually been pretty consistent all year. Maybe he wasn't in the past, but no one can argue that Tyshawn's shooting hasn't been consistent this year.

Alex Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't say Collins was a streak shooter either though. He was consistently a good shooting threat hence why we won so many games including whenever he had unstoppable games and he was dragging us to victory. However I do agree that when he was off it was bad. NIU is a perfect example. So pretty much I agreed with lots of your points but I don't think Sherron was streaky. I think he was consistently good with moments of greatness and a few awful games. All the great shooters have awful games though.

Priest Fontaine 2 years, 8 months ago

whoa, is that a playgirl mag with Ostertag on the cover? That's fearless...

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor has joined a truly elite group of players who can shoulder a massive load for their teams when they are called to do so. I love watching a guy who can score at will and who plays with an undeniable swagger. His net positive FAAAAR outweighs the negatives that so many people have been harping on for too long - gotta give credit where credit is due.

ejlumus 2 years, 8 months ago

Agree .... readers need to understand the motivation berhind the comments by an absolutely brillant head coach.

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn has been great since the start of conference season. I'd hate to think where this team would be without him (probably .500 or so, if that.) He's done away with nearly all of his mistakes, and has been the best point guard in the country since early January. He's harnessed his speed, and is now controlling it. He gets in the paint at will, and makes good decisions with it once he gets in there (something he didn't do in the pre-conference season.) He's playing like Kirk Hinrich, other than his free throws. I never would have thought I'd be saying that about Tyshawn 6 weeks ago but he's earned the right to be compared with Hinrich for his conference season performance.

Sherron was a tough and fearless kid, but he wasn't 6'4" with long arms, and he was a defensive liability.Tyshawn plays 35+ minutes a game and still gets after it defensively. Mario didn't have Tyshawn's speed and athleticism. Russell Robinson maybe had that kind of speed, but he didn't handle or shoot the ball as well as Tyshawn. I completely agree with Self's appraisal that he's been the best performer, during conference season, of any point guard he's coached here. I think you have to go back to HInrich and Darnell Valentine to find point guards at KU who have had this kind of conference season. I'm glad he's on my team. I fear we're going to find out just how valuable he was, when we have to play next season without him.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 8 months ago

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if I were putting together a team today, I would take the Sr. year version on TT over just about anyone. We've had guys before that could get into the lane at will. We've had guys who defend as well and shoot as well our better, but we have not had anyone that can do all that AND have TT's size. You can't coach size and length. I'm telling you, this kid is going to get a legitimate chance in the NBA. We probably couldn't have said that before this year began. How crazy is it that we might just have 2 AA's on this team?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

“I don’t worry about free throws. I never have. I worry about turnovers,” Self said. “We can practice that (free-throw shooting)."

In case you don't know - I love Bill Self - think he's the best coach in America (or anywhere else) and have for some time now. But, he really should worry about free throws. It has bitten us in the hind quarters more than once.

Or maybe it's an individual thing. Jeff Withey seems to have worked himself from a bad free throw shooter into an outstanding one.

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

I think he was commenting on Ty's free-throw problems and that his bigger concern is Taylor turning it over.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Oooops! You're absolutely right. I just picked out what I wanted to see (free throw shooting is a big pet peeve).

Thanks for setting me straight Brock.

Although...........maybe Ty should put in a little more effort on the FT line ?

Matt Kenton 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you and I do think "I don't worry about free throws. I never have" is a general statement about his philosophy. I have definitely noticed a lack of discipline in many players at the stripe under Self. The fact that he did not change Aldrich's from-behind-the-head shot where he snapped his wrist after the ball was halfway to the basket, is evidence to me.

Maybe he figures if you rely on making a high percentage of FTs to win, you will lose big games on nights when players are just off. Relying on defense and controlling the game is definitely Self's MO.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

LOL---I don't worry about the free throws because we have a 7 footer who can nail them every time. No body in the Country has a 7 footer that can hit FT's. In regard to TT shooting FT's---it all mental. He'll start to nail them.

angusmcpherr 2 years, 8 months ago

Garrett Stutz - WSU is hitting 82%.

Something in the water in KS?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey---you are correct. In fact, I will be in attendance for the Shockers last home game VS Drake. I will get to see that other tall guy who is shooting 82% from the line. Good call!

ku_foaf 2 years, 8 months ago

So valuable during tournament time! Jeff needs to take it to the basket.

cmbuller 2 years, 8 months ago

Cole Alrdich was a career 73% FT shooter while at KU

Matt Kenton 2 years, 8 months ago

Great point, didn't know it was that high! But who knows, maybe it would've been 83% if he had better form? I guess my point is, I think many coaches would change the shot of a freshman coming in with a shot like that. Self did not.

Micky Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

nuleaf seems to have anger management problems.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Lol - I'm a happy fellow!

I just can't stand missed free throws.

And sometimes I read too fast and don't comprehend.

ku_foaf 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought of Calipari's comment, too, and of course it buried them. How many did they miss in a row in the last minute? Five?

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 8 months ago

It's gotta be rewarding for Self to see TT end his career like this...he was suspect...rumors mor than once swirled if he would leave KU. I am glad he's turned all the negatives into positives. Well done TT - finish out strong.

dynamitehawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Something tells me Sherron is going for 45 in Turkey next time he plays. :)

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm more than a little bit amazed at TT's focus and concentration in league play this semester. Whatever personal demons haunted him the past two and a half seasons seemed to have been ushered away to allow the hoops world to view the super talented basketball player whom he really is. Finally, he is on track to lead this squad to glory...and to place himself into position for positive end of season recognition for conference, perhaps national honors and awards. Even when his play and offcourt peccadillos frustrated and confounded the coaching staff and Jayhawk Nation the most, there was always an undelying belief in the kid, a sense that if he could maintain focus, he could go down as one of the best ever to don a Jayhawk singlet. My best wishes are with him for March, April and June rewards and recognition. I hope to catch glimpses of his terrific talent for the next decade.

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Senior Night is going to be emotional for Tyshawn Taylor, and for us fans.

DocB 2 years, 8 months ago

I was just looking at ESPN's power rankings released yesterday. Against the other nine teams in the top 10, KU has played seven games. I wonder if any other team has played such a tough schedule. I didn't see any team among the rest of the 25 that we have played though. The results of those 7 games: Lost badly to UK on neutral court, lost in last minute away to MU, lost in last minute on neutral court to Duke, beat Ohio St. at home, beat Georgetown on neutral court, and beat Baylor both home and away. This is pretty impressive considering this is a "down year" for KU.

doubled96 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I thought of that last week too and wondered. Check out Robinson against teams currently ranked in top 10: Kentucky (L) 11 pts, 12 boards, 1 block Georgetown (w) 20 pts, 12 boards, 2 blocks Duke (L) 16 pts, 15 boards, 1 block Ohio St (W) 21 pts, 7 boards, 0 blocks (yes, no Sullinger) Baylor (W) 27 pts, 14 boards, 1 block Mizzou (L) 25 pts, 13 boards, 0 blocks
Baylor (W) 15 pts, 11 boards, 1 block. Avg: 19.2 pts, 12 boards, 0.85 blocks These are impressive stats against the top competition!

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

I would take TT over Sherron every day. I love Sherron and without his steal and 3 Chalmers never would have had a chance. But, TT is better in almost every way. Sherron was a master at what i call the short guy layup spin, but TT is quicker to the hole and has a much higher ability to contort and create a shot that wasn't there. Sherron was more bull-like going to bucket.

As others above have already noted, his big12 play has been unbelievable this season and he has quieted all of his critics, not with his mouth but with his play, as it should be.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Sherron was also more clutch. He performed in crunch time. In addition to his performance in the championship game in '08, he won us several games by himself in the closing minutes during his last 2 years. Tyshawn has, to this point, performed poorly in the final minutes of close games this year.

Also, I don't know that Tyshawn will ever be the leader Sherron was. Partly because he hasn't had to. Sherron took Cole Aldrich (who was coming off a freshman year where he saw minimal action) and a bunch of freshman and willed them to the Big XII title and sweet 16 in another "down" year.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

he might have been more clutch at the end of games but TT is more clutch during the games when we are in really need a bucket this possession mode.

thut 2 years, 8 months ago

Didn't TT make two huge 3's late against K-State? Just checkin'

Don't tell me he isn't clutch

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Those 3-pointers came with more than 10 minutes left in the half and KU leading at both times. Not saying they weren't big shots, but I would hardly consider those during the "final minutes of close games" (as per my post).

And really, if that's what you're pointing to, I would direct you to the final minutes of the Duke game, the MU game, and yes that very same K-State game. Look at the final minutes - missed lay-up, missed free throw, turnover, missed free throw. Thankfully we pulled that win out, but certainly not because of a clutch late-game performance by Tyshawn.

I'm not pointing this out to bag on him, but to chuckberry's point that Tyshawn is better than Sherron in almost every way, I thought it was worth mentioning. Sometimes we as fans tend to use hyperbole when describing whatever current group of players is in front of us. Self does this too. Nothing wrong with it, but sometimes a counter-argument needs to be made to remind people that the players that came before the current cast were pretty good, and often were better.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

that backs my point about TT being clutch during the game when we need a bucket. there are many more examples.

as for the final minute, i will not argue that TT has been clutch at all.

However, I have the faith that he will be when it matters most this post season.

ps. i said almost every way :)

Sam Brockert 2 years, 8 months ago

The first three pointer was when KU was behind by one.

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

Which was one of the two times we trailed (by only one both times). Both times, TT was major in hitting two straight to end the skid before it cost too badly. It also was the play that game announcers and home crowd screamed "pushoff!" the loudest.

TT and his coaches are still working on the formula for how many minutes past 30 are too many. Solving that equation is as important as any development the rest of the season.

JayHok 2 years, 8 months ago

Taylor whooped up Oklahoma with a last second three in Norman a few years ago.

Also there's been multiple games where Taylor's free throws iced the game for Self.

Don't forget the clutch shots he hits often all game that allows Self to have a 15 point lead at the end instead of needing a Sherron*Langford high percentage miracle.

Also his passing to Jayhawk threats has been clutch this year as well as plain and simple running the offense for 35 seconds if need be. Taylor is clutch in so many ways and how about his clutch D.

Typical Self team.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm finding no evidence of a last second three over OU that propelled KU to a victory. His freshman year the score of the game was 87-78. He did make 3 threes that game, but all were in the first half. His sophomore year the score of the game was 81-68 (a game not in Norman but rather AFH). Tyshawn hit one 3-pointer in that game, also in the first half. Last year the score of the game in Norman was 82-70. Tyshawn did not play in this game, as he was suspended. EJ started at the point that game.

So with that myth now dispelled I have little reason to believe your vague claim that there have been "multiple games where Taylor's free throws iced the game."

Again, this isn't to bag on Taylor. But don't try and make him out to be something he's not, or at least hasn't been yet.

JayHok 2 years, 8 months ago

Obviously my memory is off on that OU victory. What I remember is him being clutch and winning the game for us with his surprise threes. The part I'm way off on was that he did this during the game and not at the end.

Taylor has hit a lot of free throws late in games to finalize the ending. Maybe it's a 10 point spread at the end but still he's done it many times.

Personally I'd take a guard who keeps the final score a 10-20 point margin throughout the game.

That's where he's clutch with passing, scoring and defense so the last second heroics aren't needed nearly as often as they were with Sherron or Langford.

RCJ

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

chuck - As a career, you take Sherron. Easy. No question. For 3+season of TT's career, it isn't close in comparison. Sherron is the better choice.

The only thing that causes a questions is his stretch here of solid play. Remember that.

Collins, no question.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

okay fair enough, i was refering to last 6 weeks TT.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

"KU leads the Big 12 with 48 all-time Academic All-Big 12 selections"

---AWESOME!!!---

jayhwkroks 2 years, 8 months ago

That says alot to me Chuck!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!!

AsadZ 2 years, 8 months ago

I just watched HCBS Press Conf videos. Its really heartning to hear about his feelings on Taylor. And when you think about it he is absolutely right.

I was criticizing TT earlier in the year but he has shut me up by his play on the floor.

That's a great compliment.

Rock Chalk Taylor

AirCapJay 2 years, 8 months ago

For all of TT's speed, he sure charges a lot. I think the scouting report on TT is - if you see drive to the basket, just stand there and you will draw a charge from him. Name someone else in the league that charges as much.

Brak 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't disagree with you that TT has had an issue with this in his career at KU however I noticed more than once here recently where on a fast break TT has come barrelling down to the rim and as soon as his defender set up for the charge he pulled up and dropped in a floater. This is a TT that is actually learning from his mistakes and frankly I think thats all anybody could ask of him. I would have to think his charges this year are down over last year

AirCapJay 2 years, 8 months ago

Good link. The art of flopping is part of the game I guess. TT needs to realize this.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 8 months ago

That was my immediate reaction to the comment, like oh say a Mizzou player that gets shaken out his jock strap leaning way back left right into a shooting TT at the end of a game and him being slapped with a ridiculous charge

In general officials have been thrown off by the cylinder and are calling more charges this year if contact is made outside of it They are starting to adjust and come around to calling a few blocks around the country by players fouling shooters

PVJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ralster:

This is for your eyes only. Anyone who is not Ralster should stop reading Now.

I feel it is encumbent on me to explain something about Jaybate. Jaybate was born with an IQ that far exceeded any other in history. Jaybate's first nanny, however, (yes, Jaybate had a nanny and not just one, but a succession of them, for the young J presented such formidable challenges that none were up to the task for long).

As I was saying, Jaybate's first nanny was, unfortunately, much addicted to spirituous liquors and the consequence of her prodigious consumption of such was an expected and profound impairment of her motor skills. Because of that, she repeatedly dropped young J, sometimes on his head. This not only partly explains his appearance and behavioral problems, but more importantly, the severe drop in his intelligence to a mere Einsteinian level, leaving him smarter than any ten of us put together, but nothing compared to what he was.

He is, therefore, and in a very real sense, a Retarded Genius and as such deserves our most heartfelt sympathy and our most profound respect and admiration.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Ya know if you want something to be for one poster's eyes only, click on their name and post on their profile wall. Otherwise it is pretty naive to think/hope/expect no one else to read this interesting bit of fiction. Of course I have made room for the possibility (maybe probability) that was your intended purpose all along.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

"click on their name and post on their profile wall" I did not know that!

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

PV, Touche! Enjoyed the post. I have a different take on JB now, you know with his brain vibrating in his head with all those contusions leading to confusion! I still enjoy his posts so what does that make us?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

This post is for PVJayhawk's eyes only. If you are not PV, stop reading right now. PV, are you wearing thong underwear??? If you say no underwear at all, I think I will faint!!

STLJHawk86 2 years, 8 months ago

PV, so you have "heartfelt sympathy" and a "most profound respect and admiration" for your subject? After reading this post (and considering the method used to draw attention to it), I wonder if anyone has either for you?

PVJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Wrong! The address to Ralster was not at all intended to draw attention but was much more subtle and relates to something that transpired on this site over a year ago. Sometimes one has to look beyond the obvious.

dewclw 2 years, 8 months ago

RE: TYSHAWN TAYLOR, I was negative on Ty Taylor in most conversations the past 3 years. I always thought he had the talent but he just didn't care enough to win. I have changed that mindset big time now. I would take Tyshawn over any other point guard in the entire nation right now when the game is on the line. Now I just wish that Elijah Johnson would work allot harder and adopt that same type of play. FOCUS Elijah, this could be a great year for the team if he and Releford would pick it up a bit like Withey has. Rock Chalk.

dtdjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Why don't you get a horse go live in the mountains and don't bother anybody

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

I beg to differ Irish, and am tossing out some arguments your way to ponder & respond, if so desired. For one, confidence is a must in any sports. Without it, one is defeated even before a game begins. Why? Everything being equal (as in talent, skill), sports is a mental game. How many underdogs have gone on to win it all? Not because of their talent, but having the confidence and sheer willpower to win it all. Second, Self has a reason to have some ego given this was supposed to be a down year. He has 4 players with the B12 award! A little chest puming isn't hurting anyone, but will definitely help shape the players' mindset. Confidence is contagious as is negativity. So why not pick confidence to feed your team? Third, Jaybate last year noted the physicality of VCU players who played 35+ mins during their season. Until this year, most of our players didn't play huffing and puffing 35+ mins because of the deep bench. Now they have to play with tired legs and still win because no one else can come in to help them out. Hence, the TT's crucial shots. Due to the dependency of the bench, our key players in the past did not have to go deep inside themselves for that sheer willpower or confidence. This team had to grow up fast because of it, and is tougher mentally and perhaps physically. Now they need their mental game to be tougher (when the body wants to give in, it is the mentality that sustains the body), and confidence will fuel that. Let's see what happens in March, but by your prediction, we have already lost, so why are you watching?

2 years, 8 months ago

Well-reasoned HawksWin, meet trolling provocateur.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

Last week a headline Withey wins national player of the week. Tyshawn Taylor in the running for Big 12 POY. A year ago I'd have bet my house that we'd never see headlines like that. It's made for a very fun KU season.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 8 months ago

Can someone post these draft boards that have TT and Jeff in the first round? I am not being a jerk, I just want to see them and can't find them listed that high anywhere.

Jackster 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to catch a KU game live with my son. We have not been to a game yet this year. The Texas Tech tickets are very pricey on line. Does anyone know if I'd be better off trying to buy them from a scalper outside of Allen or should I bite the bullet and buy them online? Thanks!

JayHok 2 years, 8 months ago

Cops allow people out of speeding tickets for a couple seats at Allen? Sign me up---to be a cop!

I think this good cop-good cop story actually just grew the legend of the Phog.

If only the Phog could somehow get the original rules of basketball.

Darren McSweeney 2 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if coach Self feels bad about his comment about Tyshawn making plays where it "looks like he's never been coached." I know he was kind of joking, but I think it might have hurt Tyshawn's stock a bit. I like that he's doing everything he can to build him back up!

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Especially since the announcers repeat it during every game.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

That is one of the best quotes I have ever heard from a basketball coach. In addition to being a nice turn of phrase, it was a perfect description of Tyshawn prior to his final conference season. He has been tremendous in conference this year and has taken himself to a different level. It is a level we always thought and hoped he could reach, and it is wonderful to see him finally make good on some of that enormous potential. Bill's quote now doesn't quite ring as true as it did.

Over the past 2.5 years I have criticized Tyshawn more than almost any KU player I have ever seen. He had a bad attitude at times, he frequently made terrible mental mistakes, and despite having a ton of talent he didn't seem to get any better as he went through the program (which reminds me of Eric Chenowith, another extremely talented guy who didn't seem to get better through the years and who has to be my all-time most criticized KU player).

Then Ty flipped some kind of switch in the first Iowa State game when he started dominating on both ends of the floor for a few minutes. He's done it for several stretches since then, and when he does that he looks completely unplayable. I can't be mad at him for his recent missed free throws or the inexplicable turnovers he's had at the end of games. He is doing so many good things throughout the game now that we can take the bad with the good no problem. He is finally a great player.

machinegun 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn has proven time and time again that he possesses the heart of a champion! When we were getting beaten down (repeat-beaten down) by Kentucky, Tyshawn was the one who continued to take it to them in the second half. When he suffered a torn meniscus and a sprained MCL, Tyshawn was the one who demanded that surgery be postponed so that he could help the team beat Long Beach State and Ohio State.

Tyshawn was the one who immediately came back from knee surgery to play 30+ minutes against Davidson. Unbelievable dedication to the team! Simien-like warrior! I won't go into the details of Tyshawn's numerous successes leading the team during the conference season as these are well documented. Tyshawn did not lose the Missouri game!

What does Stat Guy have to say about it? Coach Self has it wrong. Tyshawn misses too many free throws. Tyshawn makes too many turnovers. Tyshawn charges too much. Tyshawn is trying to be too much like Sherron. Stat Guy thinks Tyshawn lost the Missouri game.

What does Angry Football Guy have to say about it? Coach Self has it wrong. Angry Football Guy is still mad at Tyshawn as if Tyshawn is at fault for the 3 dismal seasons in a row since the "ruckus". Angry Football Guy thinks that Tyshawn needs to sit on the bench while somebody else, anybody else, leads the team. Angry Football Guy thinks Tyshawn lost the Missouri game.

Did you happen to watch the K-State game on Monday? Did you see those plays that Tyshawn made down the stretch? Tyshawn Taylor is one of the greatest players in the history of KU basketball! I wouldn't trade him for 10 Marcus Denmon's!

Ryan Michael 2 years, 8 months ago

Just to address the last paragraph... What KSU game were you watching?

In the final 2:30, Taylor had 2 turnovers (one over and back mental error, one stupid dribble into 3 guys fall on the ground and lose the ball), two missed free throws and pretty much nothing positive. It was as if he was single handedly trying to put KSU back in the game.

He's had a great run the past month... But come on. Down the stretch in the KSU game? He fell apart mentally in the stretch during that game. Lets be at least somewhat realistic here.

machinegun 2 years, 8 months ago

Stat Guy-what game were you watching? Tyshawn gave us the 5-point cushion we needed when we were in danger of losing the game in front of a hostile crowd. Tyshawn put a muzzle on them or maybe you missed the parts where Bramlage Coliseum fell silent.

Sports like life is not about perfection. Stop sweating the incidentals. Winning is about heart and determination. We see it in T-Rob and we see it in Tyshawn. We are starting to see it in Withey. Sometimes we see it in other players.

Now, which one of Tyshawn's many scoring plays do you want me to explain to you? The huge 3-pointers? The driving layup off the glass? The slam dunk with the exclamation point? The flip off the glass to Withey/T-Rob? Or did you think that was just a really bad shot?

LMAO--you probably think you know more than Coach Self because you disagree with his feelings toward Tyshawn. Admit it. You probably think that Tyshawn should have been kicked off the team by now. Admit it. Barring that, you probably think Tyshawn should be benched in favor of one of the youngsters because he has turnovers and misses free throws. Admit it. You probably think that Tyshawn lost the Missouri game? Admit it. You have a really strong dislike for Tyshawn. Admit it.

You are so arrogant as to think that you are realistic. We are not in position to win the K-State game without Tyshawn! Do you get it now?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey..once again off topic but what's the deal with Dr Naismith's Rules? Has anybody heard any plans or proposals?

Come on LJW, throw us a bone!!

I am totally thrilled that we have them, but down deep, I feel they do belong in the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. After all, those two pieces of paper put everybody in there!!!

At the very least, the Hall should get a damn good replica.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Last I heard they were being displayed .. in .. Austin, TX (as of KU's game with Texas).

DocB 2 years, 8 months ago

I have read that the plan is to permanently display them at Allen Field House (Booth family hall of fame) once the appropriate surroundings are designed and built.

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

never was much as SC fan, not sure why.

I'll take TT on my five vs. your five. Your pick......

Oh, you take SC & Mario nice choice.

I'll take Darnell and TRob for my power forwards.

Oh, you got Danny from '88 nice and Ronnie Kellogg for the outside trey.

Okay, I got Stallworth and Valentine, JoJo coming off the bench to close you out.

Your bench has Pierce and Gooden, fine I got Kirk and Nick, we could go on and on, point is Taylor has game and has it for this season, right now. RCJH

Kirk 2 years, 8 months ago

What's with Pierce and JoJo coming off the bench? Just wow. On my team, they'd be starting.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry, but give me Wilt all day every day and I'll take the win.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

doubled96, thanks for the research and post re T-Rob's numbers vs. top ranked opponents. Would be interesting to see how Anthony Davis's numbers look vs. Kentucky's ranked opponents. I certainly hope that T-Rob finishes strong to win the POY award. What a deserving intense effort he has put into his game in the past 13 months.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm putting out an APB on all level-headed, rationale thinking basketball fans regarding the issue of Tyshawn Taylor and his place among KU's point guard ranks. Tyshawn haters need not apply. Tyshawn apologists need not apply. I've seen very few objective comments regarding this issue, and too many extremist positions. Regarding the haters - Tyshawn will never be able to elevate his performance to the level that he has enough good will banked with this group to get them off his 11 turnover performance against Duke, his numerous suspensions, etc. They are but pieces of the whole that, while worthy of consideration in any Tyshawn legacy discussion, do not tell the whole story. As to the apologists - the ones with revisionist versions of history regarding both Tyshawn's accomplishments and former players' shortcomings, they are incapable of looking beyond the now. As I said to chuckberry, sometimes we as fans tend to use hyperbole when describing whatever current group of players are in front of us. Self does this too. This is also misleading when trying to get an idea of just how good Tyshawn really is in the grand scheme of things.

Attempting to look at things objectively, we must first attempt to define the parameters of the debate. When comparing Tyshawn to former KU point guard greats, are we evaluating Tyshawn on his whole career? The last two years that he has actually been the starting PG once Sherron left? This season? The past six weeks? It is a tricky situation, because it might not be fair to judge Tyshawn during his first two years when he wasn't playing the point - the first year as an impact 2 guard, his sophomore year as more of a glue 2-guard with some of the PG responsibilities coming his way. However, if we do that, how do we judge the rest? While not a PG for much of his career, I have seen many comparisons of Mario Chalmers during his freshman year attempting to run the point to Tyshawn during his bouts of being turnover-prone. If we're going to give Tyshawn a pass on different times of his career, it's not really in the spirit of the debate to compare a freshman Mario Chalmers to a junior or senior Tyshawn Taylor. Sherron's career was not that of a 4-year starter. Hinrich ran the point before moving to the 2. Miles & Vaughn are really the only players in recent memory who started all four years at the point and whose roles never much changed. Speaking of roles, it is important to understand the needs of the team and how each player fills those needs. Aaron Miles was never relied upon to be a big-time scorer. RussRob showed ability early before Self decided he was better suited as a glue PG amidst players he felt were more capable scorers.

texashawk10 2 years, 8 months ago

I would honestly question how much PG Taylor actually played last year. It was usually Reed bringing the ball up the court and getting the halfcourt game going for KU and the only time we really saw Taylor bring the ball up the floor was when there was pressure because he was usually the best ball handler on the floor. I would argue that this is the first season Taylor has truly been the point guard for this team with regards to actually being the player who primarily brings the ball up the floor, calls the plays, and initiates the offense.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I think you have a very poor memory of last year. The vast majority of people I think would disagree that Reed usually brought the ball up and initiated the offense. It was Tyshawn running the show last year. Additionally, a lot of people noticed that during his sophomore season, Sherron's senior season, Tyshawn was handling a lot of the PG duties for a good chunk of the season.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

If you want further proof that Taylor has been starting at point guard, at least in part, since his sophomore year, go listen to the Bill Self press conference. Feb. 16. Pt. 3. At the 4:43 mark. "The last 3 years, starting point guard..."

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

(cont.) With all this in mind, you will never get a true "apples-to-apples" comparison, and thus all conclusions are subject to interpretation. Here's what we know regarding Tyshawn: his team this year needs him to score. He is doing that with great effectiveness. This team needs a reliable trey-gun. He is knocking them down from beyond the arc with great efficiency. This team needs him to play a lot of minutes. He is doing that. This team has a small margin for error. On occasion, Tyshawn is more prone to error than we would all like, and more than we can at times afford. In the end I think the best answer is what Self said - he is unique. He seems to be the right player for this team, and any other comparison is simply personal opinion. For myself, while I like all of the guys whose names are mentioned, I am more a fan of the Aaron Miles style point guard. The distributor. The floor general. Setting up his teammates in position to score. Again, this is just as a general premise as to if I was building a team what I like in a PG. Now would I take Miles over Tyshawn to run this team? Probably not.

One last thing to consider: the final chapter in the book of Tyshawn has not yet been written. Will he rise to the challenge in a tournament game and hit a big shot down the stretch? Will he dribble into 3 defenders and get called for charge in the elite 8 with less than 2 minutes left? I have my doubts & concerns, but as Jayhawk fans we should all get behind him and cheer for him during the last leg of his KU career.

Al Martin 2 years, 8 months ago

I've wondered this year how much of his late game problems have been fatigue. He was awful at the end of the Missouri game, but he was also exhausted. He's piled on the minutes this year, and I think it shows at the end of some games. It's never fun to watch, but my tendency is to cut him some slack for this. I think his endgame problems are directly related to our thin bench.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

It's likely that it has some effect on his game. But it is what it is. There's no help coming this year. We're thin, and he and HCBS are going to have to find a way to deal with it. Whether that means playing within himself more, or pacing himself earlier in the game, or telling Bill "hey I need a break at this point in the second half so that I can help us during those last 4 minutes". So while it might be convenient to give him a pass, it's not going to make anybody feel any better come March if something bad happens. Coach Self gave the team 2 days off this week, so we'll see what happens against Tech. Granted they're not the greatest barometer for measuring these things, but hopefully it helped at least in the short term.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

You're right, and putting threehan in for him is not an option as far as I'm concerned.... But it's about all we have

Jackalope7 2 years, 8 months ago

ESPN has a nice little story about the High School Tyshawn came from. There's a clip with Tyshawn in it for about 5 seconds. Makes you kinda understand where he came from. Keep on improving Tyshawn. You've already proved me wrong this year. RCJH.

Slick50 2 years, 8 months ago

8th in a 10 team league in assist/turnover ratio.

TT has never been clutch. It's embarrassing to watch people comment about Sherron in the same sentence as TT.

HCBS is massaging the ego of young Mr. Taylor, because he has to. The kid is an emotional trainwreck.

TT makes the incredible play, and not 30 seconds later makes a play worse than any you'd see in a pick-up game at the Y.

If the game is nearing the end, and we need a big play, I hope the ball sure as hell isn't in TT's hands.

KansasComet 2 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is the point guard of my beloved Kansas Jayhawks. I believe in Tyshawn Taylor. I can't say I have spent enough time with him to call him an "emotional train wreck". I doubt the person making that comment has ever met Tyshawn. That's pretty harsh for an entertaining game of basketball? Fans that pick on this young man, seem to only motivate him more. He has done an excellent job that last six weeks of "shutting them up"! Keep balling, Tyshawn, we are behind you 100%!

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Another thing we sometimes forget along the way: Tyshawn, at times, is reported to have been distracted by family dilemmas...instances wherein he has served as the man of his family, dealing with mother/sister situations which many college players never have to face, esp. at times when their team leadership is called into fulltime focus and concentration. I think that Bill Self, who knows much more than any of us about the trials and tribulations of his current team leader, is cognizant of how far TT has come during his tenure in Lawrence. I submit that all of us should be very respectful and appreciative of the giant strides Tyshawn has made, in this season alone. If his focus and production remain steady or on the upward swing, his former bench cohorts are bound to ride along with him to an 8th consecutive league title and an opportunity to shine on the world stage of amateur hoops, come late March. The current and near future pride and jubilation of the Jayhawk Nation lies very much in his hands and control. It has been, indeed, a wild 4-year ride; and he now fits the mold of a Johnny Come Lately superstar. But SuperStar he is right now and throughout this league season. Right up there among the best point guards who have ever played a senior season in the grand historical mystique of The Phog.

machinegun 2 years, 8 months ago

LMAO-Angry Football Guy you don't want the ball in Tyshawn's hands? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe--just maybe--you missed Frank Martin's desperation timeouts trying the stop the "Kansas Juggernaut" as he took control of the game.

I am tired of the critics, I am tired of the naysayers, I am tired of Stat Guy who spends most of his time counting Tyshawn's turnovers and missed free throws. Stat Guy then overlooks the most important stat--number of victories. I am really tired of Angry Football Guy because he spends most of his time trying to tear down Tyshawn for obvious reasons. It's not Tyshawn's fault that we ended up with a preacher who was more concerned about avoiding profanity than he was concerned about avoiding some of the most embarrassing losses in Kansas Football History. To all of you whiners--time to quit your complaining!

Tyshawn--we are behind you all the way! Just take it one game at a time!

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ty, before January I thought I'd never say this, but today I definitely want the ball in your hands, right down to the final gasp of any close contest. Always, I'm hoping that you can glean 8 minutes of rest and relief (sorry, jaybate) to accompany 32 minutes of superconcentration and focus. But if you have to grind out 38 minutes, so be it. Best of all possible good fortune throughout these remaining five league contests. To be remembered as a starter on 4 consecutive conference title teams...WOW!

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

Taylor is the man!

wouldn't have it any other way, he is the stud, gives it all on the court, we are blessed to have the results of his 4 year investment in training, practice, experience, ability.

Cash it in, we have TT with the ball.

Rick Arnoldy 2 years, 8 months ago

Love him as a physical player. Question him as a decision maker. Use your head as well as your physical talents. Don't forget they go hand-in-hand if you want to be considerd great at KU standards.