Thursday, February 16, 2012

KU’s Thomas Robinson, UK’s Anthony Davis neck-and-neck

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson vies for a rebound with Kentucky forward Anthony Davis during the second half Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Kansas University’s Thomas Robinson and Kentucky’s Anthony Davis head into the homestretch of the regular season as leading contenders for college basketball’s National Player of the Year.

An ESPN panel of 54 pollsters who vote for either the Wooden Award, Naismith Trophy, AP Player of the Year or Oscar Robertson Trophy has Robinson leading Davis 141 points to 112.

Robinson, a 6-foot-10, 237-pound junior from Washington, D.C., received 34 first-place votes, 19 seconds and one third in the network’s straw poll. Davis, a 6-10, 220-pound freshman from Chicago, received 20 firsts, 25 seconds and two thirds. Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger checked in at third, followed by Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Michigan State’s Draymond Green, West Virginia’s Kevin Jones, Missouri’s Marcus Denmon, Mississippi State’s Arnett Moultrie, Murray State’s Isaiah Canaan and Marquette’s Darius Johnson-Odom.

Robinson led by a more sizable margin during ESPN’s previous two POY polls.

“I feel more motivated right now than when people were spreading rumors that it was locked (for Robinson),” Robinson said Wednesday on Doug Gottlieb’s ESPN radio show. “You never believe that, especially with so much of the season left. Now that I see I have to compete with somebody else, that makes it better. Now you have a different motivation. It makes it competitive.

“(If) I’m going against somebody, of course I want to win,” added Robinson, who is averaging 17.8 points (off 54.6 percent shooting), 12.0 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.1 steals a game for the No. 4-ranked Jayhawks (21-5, 11-2 in Big 12).

Davis averages 14.0 points (off 65.1 percent shooting), 9.9 rebounds, 4.9 blocks and 1.5 steals for No. 1 ranked Kentucky (25-1, 15-0).

Kentucky defeated the Jayhawks, 75-65, on Nov. 15 in New York. In that game, Robinson scored 11 points off 5-of-12 shooting with 12 rebounds in 27 minutes. Davis scored 14 points off 6-of-8 shooting with six boards, seven blocks and three turnovers in 33 minutes.

“I believe Anthony Davis is going to be a better pro and higher-drafted pro. He’s a great shot blocker and affects the game more on the defensive end than Thomas Robinson,” Gottllieb, a former Oklahoma State guard, said on his show. “My argument of why Thomas Robinson would be player of the year at this point is if you take him off of Kansas’ team, I’m not sure they make the NCAA Tournament. If you take Davis off Kentucky, it’s still a good team, still a Top-25 team, and now they (with Davis) have a chance to win the championship. That is the argument. It’s kind of splitting hairs. They are different players. I’d take Robinson because of the effect and value he has to that specific Kansas club.”

Robinson said the Jayhawks have come a long way since November.

“I think we’ve lost every type of way this year — close shots, buzzer beaters, blowouts. We’ve experienced a lot,” he said. “For us to not be so deep talent-wise, we know our margin of error is very small. We have been able to stick together as a team, play hard and become successful from it.”

Chalmers in contest: Former KU guard Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat will compete in the NBA three-point shooting contest on Feb. 25 in Orlando, Fla. Others in the contest: James Jones, Kevin Love, Anthony Morrow, Joe Johnson and Ryan Anderson. Former KU swingman Brandon Rush of the Golden State Warriors was not invited to compete in the all-star weekend event despite leading the league in three-point field-goal percentage. He has made 40 of 73 threes for 54.8 percent.

Next up: KU will next meet Texas Tech at 7 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks beat the Red Raiders, 81-46, on Jan. 11, in Lubbock.

Comments

Steve Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

I keep searching the field to see which cindarella team beats MU in the elite eight, maybe Vandy, Davidson, LongBeach or San Diego State.

Most fitting would be Creighton or Wichita State Shockers.

Go Mizzou get yourself another EEight banner boys.

captku 2 years, 2 months ago

All I got to say is that Coach Manning has really done some wonders with TRob, and now the hard work on Withey is starting to show. Coach Manning for Asst Coach of the Year!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

How about this:

National Player of the Year: Anthony Davis National Coach of the Year: Frank Haith Big 12 Champs: Missouri Big 12 Tourney Champs: Baylor National Champions: Kansas

See how irrelevant everything else can be?

GeoHawk15 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm getting into this conversation a little late today, but I've seen a lot of good posts touting TRob's stats vs. Unibrow. One thing I'd like to point out that I hope the POY voters recognize is how much more of a complete player TRob is.

We all recognize that Davis is solid offensively and might be one of the best defensively, but TRob is more well-rounded. He dunks, he rebounds, he makes ally-oops, he steps out and knocks down jumpers (even the occasional 3), he creates off the dribble, and more recently he's been feeding other players (e.g. Withey). Davis stands around the post while the guards drive and he either receives the dish or cleans up the garbage. When most of your points are dunks, of course your FG % is going to be high!

Honestly I don't watch a lot of Kentucky's games, but of the highlights I've seen, I don't see a muilti-dimensional game in Davis' play that I do in TRob's. That is why I see TRob as POY vs. Davis.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 2 months ago

Have we ever had a season POY? Danny? Did they even have that award way back when?

Here's my thoughts/goals for the rest of the year:

-Win the season conference and smash the hell out of Missery. -Robinson POY -OK to lose in Big 12 tourney, I really don't want a #1 seed. We play better as an underdog and #1 puts a huge target on our back. Plus naysayers who know nothing will say we choked again if we go out before the final 4.
-Kensucky and Missery go out early in the tourney! -Make Sweet 16.

Realistic?

Ray March 2 years, 2 months ago

34-20 isn't exactly "NECK-AND-NECK" Bedore.

It's a pretty sizeable lead for T-Rob.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

If we all step back and look at this "rebuilding" season as a whole, it's almost overwhelming:

1] In position for a #1 seed. 2] In position to win consecutive conference title number eight 3] Have leading candidate for player of the year. 4] Enigmatic point guard now one of the best in Division One, 5] Project big man, now a national force and possible draft pick. 6] All achieved with three pros, three seniors and three recruits not playing. 7] Bench composed of walk-ons, projects and a freshman ranked 293 out of 340. 8] Ten games against Top 25 opponents.

Just another season at the University of Kansas, I guess!! : ^ }

Mike Kendall 2 years, 2 months ago

Davis is an awesome shot blocker. I saw Kentucky play at Vandy and they will be tough in the Big Dance. Having said that. T-Rob will finish strong. He should get the award. It will be a real disappointment if he doen't win it.

Good luck, T-Rob.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

I have a feeling Anthony Davis would raise his eyebrow at this article.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

If I may interject a radical idea that all of you have seemed to have overlooked. A precedent has been set for Co-Players of the Year. for this award.

In 2005-2006, Adam Morrison of Gonzaga and JJ Redick of Duke shared this award.

If you tell me that the vote count came out exactly even, I have some swamp land in Olathe I would like to sell you.

I will go out on a limb and predict that both players, who are perceived as tied in voting, if they both maintain their current paces of play, will both be named POY!!!!!!!

This the honest voters and the goofballs at ESPN all get their way!!!

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

I actually disagree with the notion that Anthony Davis is a better NBA pick than T-Rob. Davis dominates college because of his length, timing and reflexes but, he is not ready to play against men. I think Thomas's strength makes him a safer bet in the NBA draft. Obviously long-term planning let's one believe that Davis will gain a little weight and get stronger but Thomas is there now and he's proven that he can stay incredibly athletic while carrying the necessary weight to hold your own in the league. T-Rob is your classic turn-key NBA 4 guy. He could walk into the league tomorrow and immediately compete.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

So Robinson is averaging 4 more points 3 more rebounds but Davis is averaging 3 more blocks and suddenly that makes him player of the year? Since when was this award a defensive award?

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's what I had to say about it after listening to multiple commentators including Dickie V gush about Davis' shot blocking the other day:

6 more weeks of this from Whithey and we'll be hanging a banner. No longer can teams just double and triple team TRob and expect to throw a wrench into the engine. On a side note, WTF with ESPN doing a complete 180 on the TRob Davis debate. I know the 'cats are looking like the title favorite, but what's that got to do with the player of the year race? TRob leads Davis in 3 of 5 statistical categories, only behind him in blocks and steals. TRob is our main offensive weapon even when he isn't scoring simply because he draws so much heat. All of the * holes on EasternBiasSportsNetwork keep saying you gotta give it to Davis cause of the blocks. WTF?!? How about give it to the player who came from a humble beginning, worked his ass off and became the best player in his position in the country. How about give it to the guy whose body of work is the difference between his team floundering and his team soaring to the top of the heap. How about give it to the guy who averages a double double and is the only one in the coutnry averaging anything close to 18pts, 12 rebs on any given night. If I met Dick Vitale or any one else from ESPN giving me that look at the blocks BS I'd break his nose. What a bunch of horse sh*t.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

It's clear that ESPN groupthink, and the hype machine that results from it, is in the Anthony Davis for POY camp. Blocks are an exciting part of the game, and Davis is very good at changing opponents' shots. But the simple truth is that blocks aren't such a definitive statistic that they should supercede other, more important considerations when identifying the player of the year.

Rather than looking at one statistical line (and a statistic that is admittedly flawed anyway in terms of measuring a player's ACTUAL defensive ability) to tip the balance, perhaps the voters should look closer at characteristics that MATTER in how the game is played, not just numbers.

For example, Davis and Robinson differ in a very simple, but illustrative way. Davis is the equivalent of your Tyson Chandler or Serge Ibaka in the NBA. Coach tells them to go be active, be a ball hawk, create havoc, make the "hustle" plays. But never in a million years is a coach going to go to either of those players and say:

"We're going to feed you the ball consistently and frequently to establish you as a force inside so that the rest of our offense can flow effectively"

In other words, Kentucky isn't looking to Davis to LEAD their team, either in his play or his leadership skill. He's been told to play a style that resembles a glorified pickup game (only with actual defensive discipline). Robinson, on the other hand, is the guy that everyone KNOWS they have to stop if they want to beat Kansas. The amount of pressure on him and resistance to his accumulating stats is much higher than what Davis is facing.

If we used working out at the gym as a metaphor, both Robinson and Davis would be doing 100 rep sets, but Robinson is doing it with 200 lbs. whereas Davis is doing it with 125 lbs.

If the writers are so obsessed with statistics, how about the number of double- and/or triple-teams each player has faced this year in accumulating stats? I have no doubt that Davis has faced VERY few sets with multiple players guarding him over the course of the season.

PS: bootstrapping onto something AlBerg said--Davis has about 4 more blocks per game than Robinson. Some of that is just that Davis is super long and has good timing, like our own Jeff Withey. But it's worth noting that sometimes good post defense involves playing in a way that prevents a player from getting off a shot at all, or allows them to get off a bad shot that is basically unblockable (ex: fadeaway, hook shot), which reduces the sexy "blocks" statistic, but is no less effective. Given Robinson's skill set, it's reasonable to think that at least part of the reason for having fewer BPG is that he's stronger and doesn't get pushed deep into the post, eliminating a shot-blocking opportunity, while maintaining solid team defense.

It would be a shame for Robinson to miss out on this award for something as isolated and potentially misleading as the blocks statistic.

Craig Lang 2 years, 2 months ago

I normally like Jay Bilas, but this season he has gone on a campaign to replace Robinson with Davis as the POY. In every appearance on ESPN, he talks down Robinson's accomplishments and repeatedly asks "Why is Davis not in the lead for POY?" I think he is the primary reason that Davis is in the conversation now.

BigBlue4KU 2 years, 2 months ago

The ESPN crew seems pretty enamored with the Ken Pomeroy stats. Robinson is #1 in KenPom's POY efficiency ratings at .554, Davis is #4 at .459. I agree that the media has created Davis as a POY candidate. There is some very good competition for the label, but I don't think Davis should even be in the conversation as one of the top two. And why is it that the Media seems to encourage the idea that Davis creates Kentucky as the DEFENSIVE powerhouse. In every single efficiency rating I've seen, including Pomeroy, Kansas is in the top 3 of defensive efficiency, always ahead of Kentucky. I think Robinson is an effective defender, is not required to be a shot blocker (though Kansas leads the Big 12 in shot blocks), on one of the top defensive teams in the country! Offensively his stats eat Davis up. There are other players in the country (i.e. Sullinger, Jones, even Zeller at UNC) that have impressive stats compared to Davis as well. How he is creeping into the POY conversation at such a high level is a comment on how much of the sport has been taken over by the "talking heads!"

manginorh00lz 2 years, 2 months ago

What is with all the Gottlieb hate? Have some of you even watched ESPN?

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

Good write-up, Gary!

The big piece of news in this story is the interview with Thomas and that it exposes Thomas for being focused on winning this award.

Thomas is being pushed by people like Gottlieb... giving the Unibrow thumbs up as a better pro prospect.

I'm pretty sure most basketball analysts would agree with Gottlieb.

However... basketball isn't played in a laboratory. The NBA is played on a high-dollar play ground slightly modified (and upgraded) from the inner-city playground of asphalt and chain nets (or no nets). The game, however, is still determined by more factors than skill levels. The game is still impacted heavily by who wants it more (what some call "thuggery") and Thomas is more of a street player than Uni. Thomas won't be holding back on fouling in the NBA, and consequently, will bring his street cred (and D) to the No Boys Allowed league. Just look at the twins now... no one is calling them thugs anymore.

We shall see how Thomas responds to this challenge. I think that will tell us more about who will out-perform who in the NBA. Let's not forget where Thomas was a year ago... not only did he suffer so much in his personal life, but he also had seen only brief PT on the floor in a Kansas uniform. He was pushed into being the top billing for this team and he has come through. Now he is challenged by Unibrow for POY. Will he step up to meet the challenge?

I should just bow down to Mr. Gottlieb's predictions, especially since he had predicted the explosion of Lin on the scene! (yeah, right) And everyone was laughing at Gottlieb when he predicted Lin would make us all forget about Carmello... gheez... I had already forgotten Carmello years ago.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

1] Something tells me, Mr. Robinson will have a "HUGE" game at home against a weak opponent this Saturday night. Can you say "triple double"??!!

2] At this rate, teams may start doubling up Jeff and freeing up TRob.

3] I think that, though it should have absolutely no bearing on the voting, the fact that the voters are human, Thomas' personal story is so compelling that it can't help but be a subtle and maybe even a tie breaking thought in the voters minds.

4] As REHawk so concisely put it, they can vote Davis the Freshman of the Year thus honoring both players. I would count on this scenario.

5] Everybody hates Calipari, anyway.

Alex Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

I just don't think Anthony Davis is the best player in the country. His defense is crazy awesome as a shot-blocker but he is not a dominant rebounder like Robinson and he is not a great scorer. Robinson is 50th in the nation in ppg (17.8), as well as 2nd in rebounding (12.0). Davis is 1st in blocks (4.9) and then is not even in the top 150 in ppg (14) or top 20 in rebounding (9.9). And Davis and Robinson play around 31 mpg. Are blocks that important? Robinson is definitely stronger than Davis so who is to say that Robinson's presence in the middle isn't a defensive presence? Or is this a case of voters just voting for the best player on the best team? I really hope the voters get this one right and so far Robinson deserves it.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep, career avg FT% was 37 & the change. Actually got worse the more he played. What an "expert." LOL!

Woody Cragg 2 years, 2 months ago

I laugh every time I listen to or see Gottlieb...he was the absolute worst free throw shooter I can ever remember in recent conf years. May have been less than 50%. I may take time to google it.

Steve Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

Jeff will continue to give triple double type performances as long as teams double and triple team TRob.

Therefore, the better Jeff's numbers the more tribute it is to Thomas Robinson. This is logical so you tweaters out there let the voters @ ESPN see the truth.

chaggs 2 years, 2 months ago

In order to promote (in a small way) athletes staying in school, I think the POY should only consider Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Your thoughts?

karken1992 2 years, 2 months ago

Ok. I didn't see anyone else say anything but really??? Neck and neck?? Robinson leading Davis 141 points to 112 Robinson 34 1st, 19 2nds, 1 3rd Davis 20 1st, 25 2nds, 2 3rds

I personally believe in east coast bias but where are you from Bedore? Neck and Neck is stretching it a little to create a story don't you think? I can't crystal ball it and say for sure that Robinson will end up winning it but as of this moment with almost double the 1st place votes of his next closest competitor, neck and neck really?

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

So let me understand...3 people from ESPN don't even think TROB is one of the three best players in college basketball and additionally 13 don't think that Anthony Davis is not one of the 3 best players?

ESPN does a lot of these things for moronic stories. Here are two players that are clearly a notch above everyone else; however, they get these smaller universities with an athlete that puts up huge numbers against a non-conference and a conference of who are they playing, and for some reason everyone thinks they should be POY.

The race is a two man race, at least the voters either had TRob or Anthony Davis as the Top Player.

JHawk74 2 years, 2 months ago

From the NBA Davis has more upside potential to TRob. NBA always drafts people on potential more than actual skill set. Most of the top draft choices have not been the best NBA player but it doesn't stop the NBA teams from drafting on potential. You may hit a Jackpot like Lebron James and have a franchise player. If TRob continues to work hard and play smart he may have the potential to be a solid NBA player or even an All-Star NBA player. You could argue Withey has more NBA potential with his ability to block shots and change the game defensively. But we all know right now that TRob is the better player and probably the top college player this year. Doug G could say if we lose Taylor we would not be a top 25 team this year also. This year KU has two dominate players and we rely heavily on them because the lack of depth. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 2 months ago

Gottlliebs head is like his shorts. He tends to have it on backwards.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Imposing fake norms for "healthy" sleep is big business, too. There is basically a sleep economy with specialists telling you how to sleep, specialists chemically augmenting your sleep, specialists keeping you awake with caffiene and meth, bed manufacturers, sheet and blanket manufacturers, pillow makers, bedroom decor suppliers, etc., etc. They want to f!@#$ with your sleep habits, as much as the car makers want to f!@#$ with your mobility habits. And they always need the next new product to keep the revenues growing...at your cost.

The older I get, the less sleep I need, too.

It probably has to do with not staying out till 2 am three days a week and ramming every new kind of mixed drink and the latest fat-driven cuisine down my throat, too.

All I know is that if you have to take ambien to make it through one day, or so a month, do what you have to do.

But if you have to take something regularly, or you obsess all day long about fatigue and having to get to bed early, then take it as a hint that you need to become more human, more yourself, and not more pharmanetic (note: my term for the pharmacological equivalent of cybernetic organisms, i.e. drug augmented).

Note: I am a layman. I am not dispensing medical advice here. I am just opining about my expeience and interpretations of things.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

(Preface: This is a response to memhawk and some others that keep remarking about my sleep habits.)

I swear. I sleep. And sleep well. :-)

I just divide sleep into First Half and Second Half with an hour half time. It works for me. And about every fourth or fifth night I sleep all the way through. I look on that fourth or fifth night as my sleep clock's leap year.

People tried to make me worry about it, but then I found most of those persons were having trouble sleeping at night, or had gotten on the ambien bus themselves. Some wound up in ERs from sleep medicine interactions with their booze. No, I don't know any Whitney Houstons, or Michael Jacksons, that accidentally checked out, but the stats say its a big problem in the age of substance abusers mixing mood control meds with booze. But i digress.

I went the other way. I took what life and my genes gave me. I don't always do this, but I did in this instance, because the alternative seemed unhealthy. I embraced a new sleep pattern. I said no to sleeping pills, which I mercifully never started, and cut out all the caffeine and alcohol after 5, which means almost no alcohol for me, except on a night out to dinner.

Our nation, largely through the commercial stimulation of what I call Big Sleep (i.e., the sleep industry) worries way too much about blocks of 8 hour sleep.

Its ridiculous, if you stop and consider our evolutionary roots.

No animals I know of sleep non-stop the whole night. Brain scanning reveals a wide variety of sleep waves. And bears sleep almost all winter. What is right is what is right for you.

My tip off to this was when I learned Bob Hope had learned to cat nap intermittently all day long and was incredibly vigorous into his 90s. Accept your own sleep patterns.

I do agree however, that over all, it ought to add up to something consistent for you, and something usually between 7-9 hours. Though there have been guys like Bucky Fuller that got by on vastly less for many decades of their lives.

The only reason anyone even cares about sleeping nonstop is because of the unnatural rigidity of working 8-5 5 days a week, or the horrendous stress of needing to and not being able to get hired.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 2 months ago

Notwithstanding (I put on my shorts the wrong way) Gotlieb's assertion, TRob will also be one helluva pro!

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

At the moment, I view Davis as the National Freshman of the year, hands down. Thomas, National Player of Year whose scoring and rebounding have flourished even under such heavy focused defensive attention in a league where brutal pressure on big men is allowed.

Ben Kane 2 years, 2 months ago

maybe because it's early and i didn't get a lot of sleep last night, but some of you sound pretty whiney about this. more defensive attention, gets beat up, harder schedule, the only attitude i like is TRob's.

"I feel more motivated right now than when people were spreading rumors that it was locked"

The fact is that if TRob continues to bring it, he will win it. If he pulls too many more of those disappearing acts he won't. It's not tvery important compared to team accomplishments.

I'm most grateful that his being favored all season has brought extra media attention. When being mentioned, most analysts are quick to point out the great training from Danny and that fact that he really didn't get to play much last year. This kind of attention has to be a huge boost to recruiting and I wonder if it's got the attention of Shabazz who most considered a zero chance of coming to ku and has now announced that he will take an official visit the weekend of the final battle in the war.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years, 2 months ago

Davis = Unibrow Somebody show that dude a tweaser

keith horinek 2 years, 2 months ago

On a side note, how about Coach Self for national coach of the year?

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

Too bad Gottllieb, who was a mediocre player at OSU, isn't at least a mediocre sports commentator rather than a loud mouth, opinionated talking head.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Gottleib is right in a couple of respects. Davis will be the first guy drafted, he has the highest upside. He's also correct in pointing out Kentucky has a better supporting cast. Robinson gets very little rest during games, unless he's in foul trouble. He's also gotten a lot more defensive attention because other than Tyshawn, and now Withey the last 3 games, we've not had any other consistent scoring threats. You could probably knock another 4 points per game off of Davis' average if he was double and triple teamed to the extent Thomas is. In fact, I believe you could say that about any other player in the country. Nobody has faced the defensive attention that Thomas has this year. On top of that he plays in probably the most physical conference in the country. He doesn't have the benefit of getting touch fouls. He's beat up on every single possession of every single game, and the refs let that kind of play go in the Big 12 (something that will hurt Big 12 teams come tournament time when we have refs who actually call fouls in the paint.).

Thomas is definitely the more deserving player. The only other guy who should even be in the conversation is Kevin Jones of W. Virginia, who should finish second, not Davis.

KansasComet 2 years, 2 months ago

Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor, and Jeff Withey. I hope they all earn "All-America" Awards this year. 1st and 2nd Team.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

It's that dang Withey's fault. If he would quit playing so well, then T-Rob would have more points, more rebounds and more votes.

Back off Withey - you're killing us. We don't care about winning championships - we WANT that Player of the Year award.

(Please note use of sarcasm font)

HawksWin 2 years, 2 months ago

Does Gottlieb have a crystal ball? Thats what NBA has come down to predicting one's talent + brain + mindset based on "running mouths" that can only see without truly seeing. Let's just say Davis may have more talent, but TRob has his little sister to care for and is of a different mindset than Davis. So let's see whose stats show up on the NBA court. My NBA crystal ball tells me, TRob will shut the Gottliebs of the NBA world - as Lin has - provided TRob navigates well through life with good foundation & support system.

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

It's obvious that Davis is going to be the no. 1 pick in the draft, and I tend to agree with Gottlieb that he will probably make a better pro. That shouldn't have any place in the discussion for who is college basketball POY. I also disagree with his reasoning for why TRob should be POY. I never like that argument, in any sport or award, that a player should be given an award because he's more valuable to his team. I disagree with it even with MVP awards, where the word "valuable" is built right in. That's not something a player can control, how well the rest of the team is put together, so why punish a player for that? I don't place as much weight as others do in how the player's team is doing, record/ranking-wise, because again, that's not always something that one player can help. Certainly there is an argument to be made that a player on a first-place team in the midst of a Final Four run (or a pennant chase in baseball) is performing under more of a high-pressure situation, but it shouldn't be an overriding factor. I think TRob is the POY, but I think so because I think he's performed better. I think the national media is overly-jocking Davis's blocks. They're important & impressive (KU fans are certainly lauding Withey for that added dimension he brings to our team), but I swear you'd think that was the only statistic worth anything the way they're wetting themselves. At any rate, I really hope TRob wins. Amazing what this young man has overcame and accomplished. Rock Chalk!

IrishCharlie 2 years, 2 months ago