Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Big 12 releases KU football schedule

While the rest of the Big 12 football world greeted Tuesday’s release of the 2012 conference football schedules with euphoria and a sigh of relief, at least one man in Lawrence refused to get worked up about the wait.

“For me, it’s not a problem because all the teams are going to be new to me,” Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis said at his introductory news conference in December. “Having West Virginia and TCU in here, that’s just who we play. No matter who is here, those nine games you have to play are all going to be new to me.”

Big deal or not, KU will play a big role in welcoming newcomers TCU and West Virginia into the Big 12 next season.

With West Virginia’s divorce from the Big East becoming official Tuesday morning, the Big 12 Conference was free to release its much anticipated football schedules for the 2012 college season. When the slates surfaced, the Jayhawks learned they would open and close the 2012 season with the two Big 12 newcomers. KU is scheduled to face TCU on Sept. 15 in Lawrence in the season’s first conference game, and it will play West Virginia in Morgantown, W.Va., on Dec. 1 in the regular-season finale.

The rest of Kansas’ Big 12 schedule includes home games against Oklahoma State (Oct. 13), Texas (Oct. 27) and Iowa State (Nov. 17), and road games at Kansas State (Oct. 6), Oklahoma (Oct. 20), Baylor (Nov. 3) and Texas Tech (Nov. 10).

Although Weis has plenty of time to prep and gameplan for every one of those conference foes, he took the KU job with a pretty good understanding of what he was getting into.

“I just know that this is a very competitive conference that has had nothing but good teams come out of it for many years,” Weis said. “It’s not just this year or last year. The thing is, we want to be one of them. We want to be one of those teams where you go, ‘Wow, what happened to Kansas?’”

KU’s schedule, which features two bye weeks (Sept. 29 and Nov. 24), also includes home dates with non-conference foes South Dakota State (Sept. 1) and Rice (Sept. 8), as well as a trip to Northern Illinois on Sept. 22.

Kickoff times have not yet been released.

Comments

Cmill1221 8 years, 4 months ago

The last 5 regular season games for TCU last year: Vs Air Force, @UNLV, @Utah, Vs San Diego State, @New Mexico

The last 5 Regular season games for TCU this year: @Oklahoma State, @West Virgina, Vs K-State, @Texas, Vs Oklahoma.

Nice to meet you TCU. --love The Big12

Mike Kendall 8 years, 4 months ago

1221---

Ha, ha! This year's schedule is pretty brutal.

Cmill1221 8 years, 4 months ago

What side of the bed did you wake up on grumpy?

RISEABOVEHATE 8 years, 4 months ago

Must have been the right side because the left side is always the happy morning side...lol

vd 8 years, 4 months ago

Great point. One nice thing about TCU joining the conference, it will keep one less non BCS conference team from whining about being snubbed by the bowl selection committee.

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Haha good post. Hopefully KU finds out that TCU is overrated. It would be unfortunate if they were actually another legit contender.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

C'mon Man. In the last three or four years they've played the following and beat most. I know they lost by one point to Baylor last year and to O.U. several years ago.

Baylor, BYU, Air Force, Boise State, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Clemson, Virginia

I just hope we can beat them down the road.

refugee 8 years, 4 months ago

Didn't the Badgers find that out in the Rose Bowl a year ago? The TCU/Boise St bashers are the same type that panned electric lights and gasoline engine cars...

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe it was in 1994 and 1995 KU played TCU in a home and away series. KU whooped em once with June Henely at Tailback. I don't remember the other game. TCU also already has KU on the schedule for baseball, and I believe they were already on KU's schedule for basketball for the 2012-2013 before they agreed to join the league.

I'm personally excited because I live just about 30 miles from their campus, and it provides me an opportunity to watch KU basketball live as well as the opportunity to see KU Football with Weiss and company.

stm62 8 years, 4 months ago

It sure would be SWEET to have a good football team again. Though there were many positives to come out of the Mangino years, I hope Sheahon and Charlie can change KU's attitude toward football.
Those Reesing years sure were fun.

Matt Gauntt 8 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, KU Athletic Department for scheduling the series with Northern Illinois. As my screenname suggests, I live about 20 miles from NIU and I will definitely be there. Can't wait for that date to come because I'll be able to win another six-pack of beer off my smart-aleck NIU alum neighbor, just like I did last year. This time, I'll be able to rub his face in it in person.

Gary McCullough 8 years, 4 months ago

Make him get you a growler of Free State Ale.

Matt Gauntt 8 years, 4 months ago

LOL. When he lost, he asked if I wanted a 6-pack of Old Style. I told him I like expensive beer. Besides, he makes more money than I do.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 4 months ago

I love KU football...and im not being a downer...but Im predicting 4 - 8 this first year.

Signing 4 juco guys on the D-line...just doesn't fix our biggest problem that haunts this program year in and year out...or...since McClinton graduated in 2008.

Failure to pressure opposing QBs...and the inability to stop the run up front.

Before this program goes anywhere...this issue needs fixed. The 4 juco guys coming in next season doesn't cut it. Keba Augostino doesn't cut it.

april28 8 years, 4 months ago

That's not an unfair expectation. We need to sweep the non-con but UNI will be difficult. We need to win two league games and then we get to 5-7. It won't be easy.

JHawk74 8 years, 4 months ago

How can you predict a season with a new coach and new players? If Jordan Webb was still our QB I would agree with you. But he is not. Regardless of who starts at QB we will have an upgrade from last year. Everyone knows what a good QB can do for a program. Todd Reesing made plays on offensive and won some games. Why does it matter if the D Line are Juco or not? Bill Snyder seems to get Juco players to perform for him. At least Juco players are not freshman anymore. You think we can sign a freshman and he is going to dominate the D-Line? If Charlie Weis can get his Juco players to perform at a higher level we will win some games. Who says Charlie Weis is done signing players? He expects to sign more in May. He is going to bring in more players and they may have D Line experience. It is freaking February and you are going to predict 4 wins and 8 losses. I'm not going to predict anything becasue I haven't seen a single play from Charlie Weis or any of the new players.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

Well!! You know football, too. Great...............

cojayhawk99 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure what the big deal is with KU_Alumn's prediction, doesn't sound too far off regardless of who is playing/coaching. KU was absolutely terrible last couple of years. It takes a while for a new coach to come in and win. 4 wins seem like a step in the right direction. Especially if there can be a conference win in there, I am not expecting a bowl season.

I'm sure there'll be some surprises. Heck, if KU actually COMPETES in conference that's a good first step. I'm going with 4 wins and a couple of close losses that if gone the other way could have made them bowl eligible.

AirCapJay 8 years, 4 months ago

Even with a bad team last year, we could have won the TTech and the Baylor games had our defense players been in better condition. I predict a big turn around this year. If the defense players buy in and get in better shape and listen to coach Campo, I think 5 to 6 wins are easily possible. I think our offense will be greatly upgraded so even if our defense is slow to get going, I think our new offense can put up a lot of points to win games. Think positive.

TXJAYHAWK7 8 years, 4 months ago

I dont even think it was the defense 's conditioning but more the lack of ball control how many 3 and outs can they defend thats not a breather that problem plagues pro teams

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

4 wins this year would be good enough for me. I jsut don't want teams consistently scoring 50+ on us. And if they do, hopefully we have an offense that is exciting.

escaped_labrat 8 years, 4 months ago

12-0....13-0 when we win the National Championship. There are 3 new teams in the conference this year: WVU, TCU and KU. Realistic is that we're an entirely new team from coaching to personnel and strength/conditioning. No way you can predict with all the new elements. I'd rather 'believe' we're going to win all of them then condemn the team before it has a chance to show it's mettle. Do you suppose CW and the other coaches are preaching to the players: "Ok you guys, we're going to probably only win about 4 to 8 games at the best and believe me, that's an accomplishment for us, so let's get out there and try our best until we get behind by about 3 or 4 scores, then we can give up and look forward to the next game!.....ready? break on 3!"

doctorWho 8 years, 4 months ago

No matter the record, I just want to a football season where:

a) The coaching staff has enough confidence in the players they are fielding to not "dumb down" the offense for them in the middle of the season b) The coaching staff realizes tactical adjustments to the game plan are actually allowed in NCAA football c) The coaching staff realizes that there are 4, not 3 playing periods in college football d) There is hope for the future

Jim Stauffer 8 years, 4 months ago

I am more willing to see if the guys we already have plus the new jucos can really be a true stopper in the middle.

I think with better conditioning, coaching and more and better personnel it will improve. I say 5-7 at the minimum.

Danny Hernandez 8 years, 4 months ago

No, you're not being a downer...just a debbie downer.

With coaching, who knows what we can expect from the 4 juco guys that were signed....not all stars in the NFL were 4 or 5 stars coming out of college.

I'm a wait and see what happens kind of guy and until the results on the field in 2012 say otherwise, I'm tempering my pessimism and being quite optimistic. I can see us with 6, maybe 7 wins....sometimes a team can catch a break or two that makes a huge difference in the win column...

John Mueller 8 years, 4 months ago

2000,

I could not agree more. The line of scrimmage is where games are won and lost over the long term and thus, where a program is built.

Another way to say that is, you can always find a running back or a receiver who can play, there are plenty to go around.

What separates great teams are the spots that are tough to fill: QB, left tackle and d line.

unfortunately, 6-6 280 lb defensive lineman that can run and make plays are darn hard to find.

That said, i don't know enough about the roster of each of our competition, but i just made a very general assessment of our relative talent deficit to our competition and came up with 6-6.

Now, that assumes that we will win every game where our talent is equal to or better than our opponents and will lose all games where we have a talent deficit.

Of course, a large assumption.

I believe we finally have a staff is that likely superior to most of our competition.

I am not a rose colored glasses guy, but hope that translates to 7-5.

Teams where i believe our talent is equal to our better than competition:

Northern Illinois, Rice, Iowa State, Kansas State, S. Dakota, Texas Tech

K-State might be a stretch, but i really believe the difference between those 2 teams last year was coaching.

Bill Snyder, given where he started and what he has to sell year after year, is one of the great football coaches of all time, in my opinion.

Ellis Rainsberger, anyone?

I miss Gary Gibbs, John Blake and Woody Woodenhoffer sp? so, so much.

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 4 months ago

Ralster - are you really going to put Weis at the same level as Snider when it comes to getting the most out of 2 star talent? Are you freaking kidding me ?

Snider is an unbelievable coach and has done things with low end talent that NO OTHER coach has ever done in the history of college football.

And before you accuse me of not being a real Jayhawk...or unsupportive of my Alma Mater...baby I've bled the crimson and blue since day 1.

I'm disappointed in the fact that once again...we failed to recruit quality D-linemen...a position group that perhaps is the most valuable in college football. Do your research on who we got coming in and you'll see what I'm talking about.

With that said...I REALLY hope some of you that are predicting a bowl season are right. I think we're still 2-3 years away from that...but I hope I'm dead wrong about that.

Jayhawk444 8 years, 4 months ago

"We want to be one of those teams where you go, ‘Wow, what happened to Kansas?’”

funny - that's what I've been saying the last two years

Jayhawk444 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't understand anyone truly believing we are going to win 5 games this year. Yeah, it's possible, but realistically, 4 wins would be a successful season in my opinion. If we sweep non-con - which is by no means a given - then we still have to improve enough to beat a Big 12 foe. Who is that going to be? ISU or KSU? both bowl teams from last year who should be better this year? TTech or Baylor? TCU? WVa? There could certainly be a win or two in there, but like I said, we should consider it a successful season to improve on last year. Winning 5 games would be awesome, and no reason we shouldn't be optimistic, but I'm not going to push my hopes to the point that I will be disappointed with a 4-win season.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

If we make any improvement at all, the Tech, Iowa St., and Baylor games are quite possibly wins, and the non-cons should be too. Any improvement could easily land us in a bowl.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

This team last year, incompetent staff and all, was not all that far off from being a bowl team last season. A 20 point lead on Tech, Iowa St. was close all the way, Baylor went to OT, and with any offense KU would've beat Missouri last year as well which would of been win #6.

One other thing to keep in mind is this defense was one of the best at creating turnovers the second half of the year and I'm sure Campo is well aware of that by now and is working on how best to take advantage of McDougald and Brown's playmaking abilities.

troutsee 8 years, 4 months ago

Let's start with the belief (mine anyway) that there will be no blowout losses this year. I agree that we have the talent to win anywhere from 4 to 7 games now that we have a head coach that has coached at the highest levels of football. What is more, he knows the mistakes he made at ND and won't make them again, and perhaps most importantly, he has a huge chip on his shoulder and somethiing to prove to the college football world. I look for a dramatic, and I mean dramatic, turn around in KU football starting with this year. Yeah, I know. I am the perinneal optimist. Still, mark it down...a dramtic turn around.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Weis' expectations alone will spark dramatic improvements. It appears the conditioning will provide a step up. Coaching experience and savvy at every position will ratchet up the play as well. 5 star players competing for skill positions, depth at DL, TE, WR, RB.

I'm with you. How can there NOT be a dramatic turnaround?

I defended Gill with vigor, mainly because I believe it takes time to rebuild and shape a program into a winner, but I never imagined any coach being able to step into Lawrence and attract the kind of names and talent that Weis has, and to be able to make such a dramatic one-year difference in the program. Truly remarkable so far.

6-6 and a bowl win, minimum.

AirCapJay 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree that conditioning (or lack of) was our biggest problem last year. An improvement in that area alone should get us a couple more wins.

flyingfinn 8 years, 4 months ago

Now here is a realistic post and it is definitely not a negative post as some people above seem to think. It takes a lot to turn around a program from where we have been the last 2 years and 4 wins would be a good start and 7 wins a great start. Coach Weiss has so many things to fix that being competative and making good coaching decisions will be fun o watch over what we have had to endure over the past 2 seasons. Here's hoping for 7 wins but not being too disappointed with 4 as long as we are in every game and don't make the stupid coaching moves we made last year. Remember this is still big 12 football and the teams we added are no push overs.

ydoow53 8 years, 4 months ago

Granted, I haven't done research on what common opponents from last year lost and are bringing in this year. There are also all the variables (new coaching staff, players lost, performance of new players both freshmen and JC transfers, etc.) with the KU program to considered,but I think 6-6 is a realistic expectation for this season. First win all the non con games for 3 wins, then Baylor, Tech, and Iowa State for the remaining 3 wins. Yes, Baylor is an away game, but we kicked the crap out of Baylor for 3 quarters last year and they had the POY at quarterback. Can't believe they have someone as good as RG3 waiting in the wings. A one point loss last year to a win this year. Iowa State was also a game that we had control of for half the game and lost it late on a field goal. Plus this game is at home and should be winable without you know who at the helm. Lastly, TT is away and our past record there is not great, but again that was a close loss (11 pts) last year and I have faith that HCCW will have a program that is much improved over that performance.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

6-6 would be mind blowing after watching this team play so awful this year. That being said, we were really young and with a few key players that believe they can win. Well we should have beaten baylor and iowa state. But we didn't. I want to play K State on the final weekend instead of west virginia. Anyone agree?

Thomas Young 8 years, 4 months ago

I love how some fans need to show what experts they are by informing us that last year's 2-10 team that suffered a ton of blowouts did not suddenly become a probable bowl eligible team in one season, as though there was some plan that was ignored for making that happen.

Yeah, 4-5 wins seem about right. As a fan, I'm rooting for them to catch lightening in a botter and exceed expectations. Then I am hoping that with a full year of recruiting, more needs are addressed, and we start thinking 5-6 are probable. Rinse, repeat, and then them maybe a jump to 6-8 wins being probable.

But I always hope some of the kids suddenly become better than we could imagine (think Todd Reesing), and I am there rooting for them when the big upset happens.

The reason for excitement is that Weis exceeded expectations in recruiting. We are now hoping that the coaches exceed expectations in preparing the players and gameplanning opponents. We won't know what is going to happen, but I am going to enjoy watching it unfold, even if it means going 4-8 this season.

Phoghorn 8 years, 4 months ago

Mangino is gone folks. He is not coming back. Time to stop reminiscing about him, and get behind Weis 100%.

yates33333 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm 100 percent behind Weis, but I will always like Mangino. An Orange Bowl win by KU is nothing to forget.

wildjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Phoghorn 8 years, 4 months ago

Dear Site Staff. Thanks for removing the nasty comment by the KSU guy. I keep coming back to kusports.com because I appreciate the good discussions and the fact that they (usually) stay civil.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Rather than make a prediction of the final record I will predict a range of possibility:

If this coming season turns out to be truly a rebuilding and coach/player orientation year-------3-9

If this coming season turns out that every question has a positive answer plus some player surprises and luck---------6-6

Just one true testament to the current status of Kansas football this year.......I am actually posting football comments in the middle of one of the most fascinating Jayhawk basketball seasons in history!!!

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 4 months ago

its' just nice to see that "at Arrowhead" neutral site nonsense off the schedule this year. one of the worst mistakes Lew made...and i advocated strongly against it...during his tenure.

we get 4 and 5 this year...and next year a solid 5 and 4 and hopefully three non cons at home so we can get 8 home games. Lots of optimistic folks on this board...talking about 6-6 and a bowl win minimum...that's just not fair.

this program is 1-23 in its last 24 league games....how 'bout we win two in one year...and go from there? good grief, we're overhauling our roster, a whole new system and approach.....give it at least ONE year to get going.

if we go 4-8 this year or better, it's a successful season. we have to walk before we run folks.....the process of recruiting, development and coaching....MUST be allowed to take place with this new staff.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

KU is playing @Rice in 2013 if you go look at KU website.

741hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Disagree re Arrowhead . . . on the basis that the series would have been great if we had had a competitive team. Big stage is great for tv coverage . . . when teams are good, and an NFL stadium experience is good for recruiting.

NOTE: It was our experience at Arrowhead in Year One of the series that prepared us for, and enabled us, to win the Orange Bowl. The 'Hawks would have been unprepared for The Orange Bowl if we had played Misery on campus (as we were unprepared for Arrowhead).

I was there in Miami. KU was well-prepared. The big-stage jitters were lost at Arrowhead. KU had none of that in Miami. KU beat Va Tech! Rock Chalk.

hammerhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I want to beat k-state. Bad. That's all I want. Anything more is all gravy to me.

Go mighty Kansas Jayhawks.

Kevin Long 8 years, 4 months ago

I think that just the coaching change will add another win or two by itself. Plus the fact of better off season prep and weights and all that. In both of Gills years they never looked ready to play opening day. I think Weis will max the talent he has way more than Gill.

I'm not expecting anything crazy with the schedule we have, but a major impovment for sure. Get this next year done with a full recruiting year and it will be even better!

It's really great to see us all talking football in late February! Rock Chalk!

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 4 months ago

Though the schedule is brutal (as always) I think we have been given a golden opportunity. Allow me to paraphrase the "magnanimous" opinion of an OSU sports talk show I was listening to yesterday. When the schedules came out, these pompus neophytes gushed on and on about how easy TCU had it their first four games in conference, but would then hit a wall midway through the season. Mentioned multiple times was how nice it was for the conference to "ease them in" to conference play with Kansas. But they don't know what we know.

They look at us and see: 1. bad team returning from last year 2. new coach/new system 3. poor recruiting for next year as reported by rivals

Of course this is to say that they haven't done their homework. IMHO we do not have a bad team returning from last year. Many underclassmen were given the opportunity to get some valuable PT, and though some were dismissed from the team, I am optimistic about the readiness of the returners. Also, Coach Gill didn't do a shabby job of recruiting. Our returners, a year or two seasoned, will surprise some people, especially when put in the capable hands of a quality strength trainer.

Now I can't make a counter argument against the new coach/new system thought, but the pain should be aleviated a bit by having Crist under center. He brings a pedigree and an intimate knowledge of Coach Weis' system, and we all know that having a good quarterback makes a huge difference (see recent Heisman winner.)

And finally, we know that our recruiting class is better than advertised outside of Lawrence water coolers. With a little luck, we can add McCray to the mix next year, along with our horses in the backfield and we should be able to stay on the field long enough to give our defense some rest. And speaking of the defense, Weis made sure to address the glaring weaknesses with student-athletes who could/should be ready to play right away. Add to this the few scholarships Coach Weis is saving for transfers at the end of the year, and we are looking at not just a bright future, but a bright season next year!

Though TCU could have gotten paired up with an OU first week of the conference season, I still think that there will be a lot of people overlooking KU, and if we are 2-0 going into the TCU game, I will not be surprised at all if they leave Lawrence hanging their heads. "Welcome to the Big XII. You just got served by our 'doormat.'"

For the reasons I've stated above, we are not an easy win next year. In fact I think a bowl game is very possible next year. Here's my prediction:

Wins: Rice, SDSU, TCU (upset special), NIU, ISU, BU. KSU would be icing on the cake!

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

4 wins should be good but a good spring can change that. It takes two-three years to fully impliment their system. We still are young, next year will possibly be the big jump.

Tom Pritchard 8 years, 4 months ago

I feel the QB situation is key for the Jayhawks...We on paper have some sterling talent,how that translates into wins will be interesting..Did the name Todd R. have any impact on the 2008 team?

cool_beans 8 years, 4 months ago

every where we go people want to know who we are so we tell them we are jayhawks the mighty mighty jayhawks

shelleysue 8 years, 4 months ago

The simple fact is none of us can predict at all what the wins and losses will be. I doubt that anyone knows exactly what every team has and is capable of doing and definitely has no idea what KU is capable of doing at this point. Any game can be won on any given day. All you have to do is look at some of our NCAA tournament games to realize that. For me, I am going to look forward to the season with that in mind and be hopeful each and every game.

Jackster 8 years, 4 months ago

I live in S.E.C. country and all I hear about is Mizzou and Tx A & M joing the conference...until today....Apparently, a highly regarded football recruit told TCU that the reason he did not want to sign with them was because of heavy drug use on the team. That resulted in TCU electing to randomly test their players for drugs and the word is that over 80% of the team failed. It is all over the sports talk shows here. Who knows what they will have on the field when the season begins.

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

Trouble is brewing at TCU. Four football players arrested for dealing drugs. Statements say drug use was widespread throughout the team.

Bad deal for them.

Bee Bee 8 years, 4 months ago

Five wins would be like winning 9 or 10 to me this year. I

Bee Bee 8 years, 4 months ago

Five wins would be like winning 9 or 10 to me this year. I

Tom Pritchard 8 years, 4 months ago

I know it is Bball season,but geeezzzz it would be nice to get one Fball article a day...Anything will do..I need a daily fix..