Monday, February 13, 2012

Jeff Withey wins Big 12 player of the week

Kansas forward Jeff Withey pulls in a pass before Oklahoma State defenders Le'Bryan Nash (2) and Brian Williams (4) during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas junior Jeff Withey was named the Big 12's player of the week, the conference announced Monday.

Withey, a 7-foot center from San Diego, Calif., posted a career-high 25 points to go with five rebounds on Wednesday in KU's 68-54 victory over Baylor before adding 18 points, a career-high 20 rebounds and seven blocks in the Jayhawks' 81-66 win Saturday against Oklahoma State.

For the week, Withey shot 61 percent from the floor and 79 percent from the free throw line.

This is the first time in conference history that four players from the same team have won a Big 12 player of the week honor in the same season. KU forward Thomas Robinson, small forward Travis Releford and guard Tyshawn Taylor also won the award earlier this season.

KU will play Kansas State at 8 p.m. Monday night in Manhattan.

Comments

Beth Ennis 2 years, 8 months ago

congratulations Jeff! Keep up the good work!

Jason Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

Andy Katz @ ESPN.com named Withey his national Player of the Week, also.

ParisHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Is there an award for Most Improved "Most Improved Player"?

Withey was already the most improved player on the squad through January, now he's the most improved since then ! Keep it going, Jeff !

EJ, you know what's left for you to do: let's make it 5 for 5 !

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Although I would give you credit for Most Improved Player to Withey, but clearly TRob is the most improved basketball player this year.

Last year TRob was the 6th man off the bench...usually played limited minutes because of poor play or foul trouble. This year is likely to be the POY...to me that defines Most Improved Player.

I would give credit that Withey was a struggle even off the bench last year, and he is definitely earning his playing time this year, but until the last two games, it wasn't like we had to have him put up 10/10 for us to win.

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations Jeff. Well deserved. Now, how about two weeks in a row?

Andrew Washington 2 years, 8 months ago

Great job Jeff..love it when you play with intensity..and come on EJ- we're gonna need you for a deep run as well! It'd really be something if each of our starting five earned a player of the week award.. then T-Rob eventually for POY. On another note-I never thought we'd move up FIVE spots in the ESPN rankings in one week!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

Whenever we have a second player step up his scoring on this team, they seem to really get on a roll! It happened earlier this year when T-Rel got going, and now Withey is playing like a beast!!! I love this team!!!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 8 months ago

this sets a big milestone for Jeff. and hopefully opens up those recruits who are still doubting "Danny & his miracles" work at KU. congrats to Withey & coaching staff. i have a great great feeling that he will post more double double the rest of this season. punch your chest harder, Jeff!!!

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Excellent point, jayhawker. Somehow I doubt that Withey could have improved this much at Arizona, even if Lute Olsen had stayed.

justinryman 2 years, 8 months ago

Was there even any question who would win this? I mean how far distant was second place? Did Jeff get all the 1st place votes?

I mean really who else could have it been?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, TRob did average 19.5 points and 12.5 rebounds last week (ho hum), but I agree with you, the award clearly belonged to Jeff.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

"This is the first time in conference history that four players from the same team have won a Big 12 player of the week honor in the same season."

As much as the 2008 squad was the epitome of a TEAM, they never accomplished this. AND we have the legitimate favorite for the Nation POY. Well done. Rock Chalk.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Didn't know that..and Jeff earned this reward.

I also agree that this group has become a team. We do have talent but these guys work as one.

Fun to watch it come together.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 8 months ago

KU #4 AP/ #5 ESPN. Let's make sure we take care of those Wildcats tonight!

bradynsdad 2 years, 8 months ago

I feel bad for trob. Every analyst in the country wants Anthony Davis for POY. Trob will get robbed of it. I have been on twitter everyday telling the gameday guys Robinson deserves it. Dick Vitale has practically declared Davis the greatest basketball player that ever lived. I am thinking vitale has a crush on him, which I bet vitale feels he is two timing him with Austin rivers.

nb4ku 2 years, 8 months ago

I've been thinking the same thing. They keep saying that Davis is gaining on TRob. Not sure how he could gain with they way TRob has been playing. The only area of Davis game that has been better is the blocks. Easy to do when your team doesn't count on you to score like KU does with TRob.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't watch Kentucky basketball, but hasn't Dicky V been pushing TRob for POY?

nb4ku 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't watch it either. I do watch Espn and just about all the "experts" have been saying the same.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Dick Vitale has stated several times that if 'it was decided today' TRob would be his choice. He left himself just enough wiggle room.

bradynsdad 2 years, 8 months ago

Vitale hopped off trobs bandwagon about two weeks ago. He is pushing for Davis now. He even tweeted "people relax, I'm not saying that trob isn't a good player but Davis is a game changer." he followed that with "you don't have to score to be valuable."

Andy Rieger 2 years, 8 months ago

Dick Vitale also didn't pick Blake Griffin on his 1st or 2nd team pre-season all-american list when Griffin was entering his Sophomore season, despite every other ESPN analyst picking him to be 1st team. So, obviously the guy is all personality and no brains. Let's not let an annoying announcer that has an affection for certain boys and conferences get us too riled up.

KULA 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd be stunned if they gave the award to a freshman over an upperclassman with comparable (if not better) stats. Plus, TRob's back story is so compelling, I'd think the NCAA would be drooling to make him the face of their institution. Like I said before, the Movie of the Week is probably already in preproduction.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe T-Rob has the inside track for POY. It's his to lose. For one thing, Kentucky plays in the weak SEC. Secondly, I, too, KULA would be stunned if they gave the aware to a freshman over an upperclassman. I hope in the end that Thomas reaps the reward of being the best college basketball player in America.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

EJ would be awesome to round out the starters; however, I'm waiting for Young/Teahan just to light it up for a couple of games and sneak another one into the POW discussion.

championhawks 2 years, 8 months ago

Teahan will never win this award... A) he just isn't good enough B) even if he does play really well 1 game, more than likely he won't follow that up with a second good game in order to win this award!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Well deserved! Two monster performances from the big fella.

Sally Presson 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to go Jeff, keep it up and give it to the Wildcats and Tigers. and EJ you do the same, we need you to be at the top of your game, These last games are vital to the conference championship. This team will go down in history as the most improved team EVER. You guys are amazing!!! Love you Hawks!!

theend 2 years, 8 months ago

Well deserved. He has to be the most improved. If we can get TRob and JW firing away tonight....we will win easy. And what about TT? He has been great too. Where has he been all this time???

I would like to now see EJ hit his potential. He has a such great form I dont know why more shots dont go in for him. I seriously wonder if his vision has been checked?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 8 months ago

T-Rob even said that "when Jeff plays his butt off, it makes my game better."

Jeff----- Congrats! Keep improving and getting better---the sky is the limit.

Steve Kubler 2 years, 8 months ago

Very nice Jeff, now beard the tiger in his den for us!

Hawkword369 2 years, 8 months ago

Dr. J Withey and the Miracles my new nickname for the team hahaha

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

EJ may be a long shot (pun intended) for POW honors, I can see a good chance at one more for TT, TRob, and/or JW. Since conference play began, four of the POW awards went to Jayhawks, and another would make a majority of the Big12 nine-week season. An eighth title is more important, but more POWs than the rest of the conference combined would make an impression on recruits.

Am I also correct our only five✩ is not (yet) on the list? I don't pay enough attention to rating services to know.

bmg3074 2 years, 8 months ago

After the way Jeff "dissapeared" vs. Mizery, I'd like to think he'll have a game like OSU against them. We'll win even if he does'nt, but it'd be a hell of a lot sweeter if he does. I can hear the Mizery trolls now, crying about home cooking. GO HAWKS!!

bradh 2 years, 8 months ago

Pretty good for a down year. New record on team POWs, 4th in the polls, etc.

We are so tough when Jeff plays like he's been playing. You have to guard both bigs, which makes it easier on both bigs. The points are nice, but I especially like the rebounds. With T Rob and Jeff getting double digit rebounds, you shouldn't see very many games like last night where KSU gets so many offensive rebounds and is able to stick close throughout the second half.