Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 81-66

• 3 p.m., Feb. 11, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whole lotta love: Clyde Lovellette gushes over Jayhawks

Kansas players Thomas Robinson, bottom left, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young celebrate a stretch of hustle play from Withey against Oklahoma State during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 81-66 victory over Oklahoma State on Feb. 11, 2012.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Oklahoma State

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Oklahoma State, 81-66, on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU vs. Oklahoma State

Box score

Former Kansas University basketball great Clyde Lovellette waved to the fans while walking through the northwest tunnel of Allen Fieldhouse after receiving a standing ovation at halftime of Saturday’s KU-Oklahoma State game.

The 82-year-old Hall of Famer from Petersburg, Ind., stopped not to talk about KU’s 1952 NCAA title team, which had just been recognized, but about the 2011-12 Jayhawk squad that exploded for 51 points in the first half of an 81-66 victory over the Cowboys.

“That group out there is called a ‘team,’’’ said Lovellette, impressed with KU’s unselfish play in building a 51-24 advantage.

“Now we’ve got individuals we can talk about, too. Robinson ... you could make the case he’s the top man in the country,” Lovellette noted of Thomas Robinson, who scored 24 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in 33 minutes.

“You’ve got the big 7-footer in there. He has all the material,” Lovellette added of Jeff Withey, who grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds to go with 18 points and seven blocks in 32 minutes. “With those two, you’ve got the basket pretty well covered.”

The 6-foot-10 Lovellette — who lists All-American, Olympian and Helms Foundation Player of the Year among his many accolades — was speaking to a reporter about the same time KU coach Bill Self was lavishing praise on his Jayhawks (20-5 overall, 10-2 Big 12) in a locker-room speech he later regretted. Self’s Jayhawks were outscored, 42-30, the second half.

“At halftime, I said, ‘I’m really starting to enjoy watching you guys play,’” Self said after a 20-minute stretch in which his team hit 63.3 percent of its shots and committed just three turnovers while holding the Cowboys (12-13, 5-7) to 33.3 percent shooting. KU outboarded OSU, 22-6, for the half and 50-21 for the game.

“I knew it was a bad mistake as soon as I said it. They gave me an opportunity to correct myself after the game. Bad plays are contagious. Everybody caught the bug the second half,” Self said.

The second half was one in which the Jayhawks actually saw their game-high lead of 29 points (right before intermission) dip to 12 points with 6:45 left.

“We’re so immature at this point. We took the second half for granted and played miserably,” Self said. The Jayhawks were bothered by OSU’s full-court pressure and match-up zone defense.

“We’re not mature enough to handle prosperity. We can’t handle prosperity.”

He further lamented the bad second-half play.

“It was unbelievable to watch ... making grade-school plays,” Self said. “When we play right, we are pretty good. When we get off on our own, really don’t share it or lose our edge a little bit, we get so average. This was like the NCAA Tournament where you have a lead, come out flat for a five-minute stretch, momentum changes, and you can’t get it back. It was a good experience for us.”

Self stressed that he truly likes this year’s squad but is better off not telling the team he likes it.

Asked how this year’s team compared to last year’s 35-3 squad, Self said: “Last year’s team was a lot better, but I’m not sure this year’s team knows last year’s team was a lot better.

“If you are going to have five guys play really well on this year’s team and have five guys on last year’s team play pretty well, we can play with ’em (2010-11 team), no question,” Self said. “We had so much depth last year. If a guy wasn’t playing well, somebody could make up for that. If we guard and rebound, we can play with anybody. We can play with last year’s team. I don’t think the consensus would be this year’s team would be better than last year’s team. This team can play better, but there’s less margin for error.”

This year’s team is tied with Missouri for first place in the Big 12 heading into Monday’s 8 p.m. battle at Kansas State.

The Jayhawks seem intent on proving Saturday’s lousy second half was a fluke.

“We had the game won (at halftime). At least we felt like that,” said senior guard Tyshawn Taylor, who scored 12 points with six assists and three turnovers in 37 minutes. Combo guard Elijah Johnson hit three threes in six tries and scored 11 points, while forward Travis Releford had 10 points.

Markel Brown scored 21 and Keiton Page 19 for OSU.

“Coach wanted us to go out and get better the second half, and we didn’t,” Taylor said. “If we wouldn’t have gotten that big lead, this game could have gone either way. We definitely have to play better because we have to go on the road for another tough one.”

Comments

treed14ku 2 years, 9 months ago

All KU fans need to sign this petition to not play Mizzou again. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/b... Pass this link on to all your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Our voices matter.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 9 months ago

It is not stupid. There is always concern when media shills keep crying for it and saying it's the KU admin that won't play, the KU fans really want them to play. Did you not watch the Missouri game and hear the shills begging KU to keep the rivalry going? Have you not read the articles that seemingly all (except for SI's Seth Davis) say that KU is wrong to end it? (Hello, KU is not the one leaving the conference!)

This is the fan's way of telling the media shills they don't know jack about what KU fans want.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 9 months ago

And it also tells the KU leadership that despite what the media types are saying/writing, KANSAS students, alums and fans support KU's decision to not play Missouri any more. That is HUGE.

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

You're overwhelmingly naive if you think the university is immune to media pressures. I'm sure they don't care what Digger Phelps or Reece or anyone else thinks. But they should care about what they say to millions of viewers. It is still a public relations battle. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be all this posturing on MU's part to put out these public statements about "we hope to continue the rivalry."

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd tend to lean towards trojanhawk actually.

I dont disagree that a petition might be needed, but now isnt even close to the time. Such a big deal has been made about KU's decision not to play MU that if the university changed their minds in the recent future, they'd look very foolish.

It'll be years before it is considered again... we made it clear to Mizzou exactly what leaving would mean, before they did it. When KU next seriously considers playing MU, this petition will be a long forgotten memory.... I'll sign the next one, though.

Also, If you actually read this petition, it sounds like a wounded 7h grade girl wrote it. I'm sorry. Unprofessional.

(Obviously someone agree's with me, because the link to the petition is now dead.)

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. You could already hear the wavering in the sentiment coming from Coach Self with statements like "I'm not closing the door".

I don't know about in basketball, but I could see a meeting in football occuring as early as 2013 if the university changes its stance or is persuaded by financial guarantees.

Also disagree your description of it. While it didn't have that professional touch, like it had been drafted by a lawyer or speech speech writer, it hit all of the main points - economic consequences, conference instability, concerned parties, etc. It definitely didn't read like a "wounded 7th grade girl" wrote it (I'm assuming you meant seventh grade, as I have no idea what grade 7h is. Not that I normally care about spelling and/or grammar on a message board, but just an ironic error considering your critique of the writing. Also, "agree's" didn't need the apostrophe).

At any rate, petitions rarely change anything. But it was a nice sentiment, and there wasn't any harm in it. Definitely wasn't "stupid" as trojanhawk labeled it. And I don't think that having to worry about scheduling them is 30 years off as he claims.

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you, ict. Besides, even if trojanhawk was right, what harm would it do to sign a petition? There's nothing to lose.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

I am referring to the content of the petition, not the grammar. Forgive the typos, these iPads tend to make strange autrocorrects.

Nobody ever said 30 years.

This petition is irrelevant though.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

Ah, I see you are referring to Trojan. I only agree with him so far as the petition is "stupid".

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

Not to quibble, but could you enlighten us as to what exactly the "recent future" is? Does it involve a time machine or something? Just wondering.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

You mean, what is the timeframe for KU to change their minds and not look foolish for reversing their position?

I wish I could tell you... the universities and the media will likely have a hand in that. I'd wager four years at the very least. Completely conjecture though.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

Hint: o-x-y-m-o-r-o-n, though more pathetic than humerous.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Love your avatar Hawkinator! but your screen name should be something like towliehawk...

Eric Dawson 2 years, 9 months ago

Here's a good link to the "very active" (per the website when its Error 404 message comes up) petition -- http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/boycott-scheduling-missouri/signatures.html

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

I couldn't agree less. This is the game of the year for us, that and K State, Texas and the other want a bees from Texas and Oklahoma. Are we disappointed that the MU Athletic department and their school administrations have made a huge mistake? Of course. This is the key point to it all. Making money and making sense are mutually exclusive (this of course is the failing of our entire country) and this choice by MU is a perfect example of that. Why should we pout about it and deprive ourselves of one of the oldest and biggest rivalry's in sports. These are games we live for. Regardless of talent they seem to be close more often than not. It is a sad day when people cut off their noses to spit themselves or pick up their marbles and go home. We must work together to get the most out of life. You can quote me on that.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

Speak for yourself. I don't live for it. I am only happy to see the most boorish collection of college "fans" go somewhere else.

oldrocker 2 years, 9 months ago

Well said...I NEVER want to play them again! MU has the worst fans in the country. I am also glad we don't have to play a "Home" game in Arrowhead anymore.

CoastieJhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Good point bobbysfissure. +1 I wont' sign the petition. No other regular victory over a Big12 or non conference team is as satisfying as a victory of MU. I don't care what conference they are in. The Big12 is healthy and fine. Let's play them to show that KU/Big12 > MU/SEC.

Matt Bowers 2 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. I love the Boarder War with Mizzou and am thinking about starting a facebook page to keep it.

Rock Chalk

addlime 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, kustrong! I can't believe I had to scroll down this far to find someone else that felt this way. Petition or no petition, KU acts like a jilted lover if they don't want to continue the rivalry. I understand why it doesn't make sense financially, and only financially rewards Mizzery even more for leaving. But its the greatest rivalry in the region (now that OU-NU football is dead) and its a shame to lose it. If I can't hate Duke and Mizzery with every ounce of my being, I don't know what to do with my life. :)

Dirk Medema 2 years, 9 months ago

Get a life?

You can call KU a "jilted lover" or you can recognize mizzoo for the $lut$ they are. Maybe you want to stay in a relationship with someone thats been $crewing your neighbor, but I'm ready to send them on their way and glad others feel the same. It is sad that mizzoo started the chaos by repeatedly lifting their skirts to the Big10-ish, then quieted down after being "jilted", but really was just flashing the neighbor on the other side.

Sad, but good riddance.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

I would suggest not signing the petition. We sound like whining girls here. Let's play MU every season, and kick their ass. Because they went to another conference, we take our ball and go home?

How about being the better people here, not letting MU's actions dictate our actions, and ensuring that something that has brought us really a heck of a lot of fun over the years continues?

We forget sometimes that our passion about the Jayhawks is built in large part on fun. We enjoy it. The more passion, the more fun. And MU brings out that passion.

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. I mean, not with not signing the petition. Can't even get to the link anymore. But you say "not letting MU's action dictate our actions,". Um...they're saying "we want to play you", so if we play them, how is that not letting their actions dictate our actions?

Let me ask you this: what if the Big 12 would have folded, and KU was left trying to beg it's way into the Big East? Or conference USA? Would you be in favor of playing MU then? More so, because they'd actually be a bump in our RPI rather than a drag on it (this year notwithstanding)?

To me I don't want to play them, in part because that's the situation they invited in with their actions. That, and I hate them. Sure it's fun to beat them, which we do about 2/3 of the time (in basketball). But I'd take great pleasure in watching them fade into obscurity. As I've said before, who are they without KU? KU has miles and miles of the greatest tradition in college basketball. MU has...what? Nothing. They've been pilfering off of our tradition for over a century, and I say no more! Let them become just another school with no natural rival.

At any rate, I respect the fact that some fans want to continue to play them, but I don't. And I don't characterize the fans that want to keep playing them as "whining girls", like "gawd would all you whining girls stop whining about us not playing Misery anymore and crying about the rivalry ending?" Just saying, throwing "whining girls" is an easy way to try and score cheap points in an argument, but adds nothing.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

ict; What I intended by the whining girls comment is simply that, in my opinion, that's what this sounds like to me -- meaning whining that we shouldn't play MU. Whining that we've been wronged. I just think it's beneath us. We should be the bigger man, so to speak, congratulate them on their SEC migration, and kick their ass each year in basketball. I enjoy the rivalry.

Your best point is "who are they without KU?" I'm searching for an answer. I'll get back to you on that.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

The NCAA will take care of the scheduling in their made for tv scenarios they try to create every march. Look for MU to be seeded in our bracket for the rest of time.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

Rest of what time? This year perhaps. The occasional blips on the radar screen in the future? I doubt it.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

I think you are assuming way to much...do you really think MU will consistently make the tournament?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 9 months ago

No way, let's keep playing them. Replace them in our non-conf schedule with who? This is a guarantee to have another strong non-conf game every year.

By the way as some have pointed the link doesn't work, but there is something there about a barefoot rugby league and keeping it going, now that's something to get worked up about!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

"This is a guarantee to have another strong non-conf game every year"

Every year? Misery is a strong opponent every year? I mean sure every program has it's down years (except us!), but really they're just as likely to be an NIT team every year as make the dance. Don't get all caught up drinking their kool-aid from this season into thinking they're perennially a quality opponent.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking playing them as opposed to us playing Alcorn St. or someone like that. I know this year our Non-Conf schedule has been very strong, but I've been kind of critical of it in past years.

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

Well there's always going to be cupcakes. Even this year we played Towson. Part of the reason is that KU uses those home games to fund the athletic program (this coming from an interview a Wichita news station did asking them to play Wichita State, and Wichita State was wanting a home-and-home series). So if we're replacing a cupcake like Towson or Alcorn St. that were home games, I say go with an idea I believe Oak threw out earlier and Baldwin said on this thread - tell them we'll play them once/year, in Lawrence. I would reluctantly agree to that.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

I would rather play an in state school and keep the money in state.

ku_foaf 2 years, 9 months ago

The reason they are a big rival has more to do with KU and MU always fighting for the Big 8 bb championship than anything to do with the Civil War. They haven't been relevent in the Big 12 era, true.

ku_foaf 2 years, 9 months ago

We will play them in either football or basketball in 5-10 years. I think bb will be the sooner of the two.

jumpinjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Who cares really? 9 out of 10 years, Missouri sucks. Every once in a while they beat us, so why not keep playing them its an easy win. Lets continue to play them and pad our record, and continue to laugh at them. Why stop the pounding, its kinda fun to watch it. They will be at the bottom of the SEC in both sports in a few years.

Brian Leiker 2 years, 9 months ago

I say we play em. But it's gonna be on our terms. 2 home and then they can have on in KC. But we won't ever set foot in that trash city of Columbia. You want the publicity of playing the greatest program of all time, you'll do it on KU's terms and those terms are listed above. If you don't like it, don't cry and say we won't play you, We are a blue-blood and blue-bloods don't travel to play programs that suck.

cklarock 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not particularly convinced that a future Border War series could happen anyway. Missouri wouldn't agree to it, because most BCS-conference schools don't like scheduling a guaranteed non-conference loss each year.

That said, I would be up for a return of the Border War, because as a fan, Missouri are the only school/state/fans I truly despise. I have enjoyed hating the Slavers since I was old enough to understand what a scum a Slaver is, and I will miss having one opponent every year that is truly inferior in any imaginable way.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Clyde, can we hire you as a consultant or part-time correspondent to travel with the team the rest of the season? Your presence alone seemed to kick Withey into another gear and pretty much sealed the deal in him winning POW (Player of the Week) in the Big 12.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

If you want to learn how to play basketball you should study tapes or maybe they are on 33 1/3 records of the 1952 Jayhawks. Clyde Lovellette (what a great name) had the most beautiful hook shot the game has ever seen. Only Jabar had one as good. To have a team that won the Big 8 and the national title and then go on to win the Olympics was a one of a kind feat which no one will ever duplicate. It might be our biggest claim to fame although getting a skinny kid from Philadelphia to come all the way out to racist Kansas would be number 2. Phog Allen was a great human being and coach and he was the leader who made it all possible. Of course the administrators made him retire (some stupid rule about age) as some people have no real sense and can't figure out that human rules are only guide lines and are never a substitute for thinking. This is a lesson that some never learn and Kansas is full of those people in fact they are all over Topeka. If any rule needed to be broken it was that one. It cost us many victories and later another national title. Let us hope the present powers that be don't find a way to alienate Self. The basketball team at Kansas may be one of the few redeeming social values the state has to offer.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

How can you study a record? Unless you find one that describes the foot work of a big man in such detail that video is not required.....just saying.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

It was probably way before your time but we did have moving pictures in 1952. Of course I got to see Lovellette in person and I met Phog Allen at our basketball banquet in North Kansas City in 1952. There is plenty of information on the net on Lovellette including some vidios. He also won an NBA championship in a ten plus year career.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

The confusion seems to be recording media – acetate for video vs vinyl for audio.

In pre-digital technology, even magnetic tape, audio and video were recorded separately and synchrony was problematic when playing them back.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

33 1/3 records, which were clearly called out in the comment, were vinyl and had no video. My comment clearly called out records. My comment stands.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

I was in Lawrence Kansas in 1954. I had an accounting class with Wilt which he actually attended. Blacks couldn't even get into many of the places to eat. Now Kansas is full of a bunch of Neanderthals from the religious wrong who believe in small government except they want to get in your bed room and control your body and check out your medical records. Some things never change.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

bobby: What an idiotic statement. Ignorant is the best word. Some things never change.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

Look at this http://youtu.be/eVPOnPP8vOM if you want to see the great Clyde Lovellette in action.

hawken 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the link. That's some classic footage. I loved it!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 9 months ago

He had a great hook shot but Kareem perfected it.

Mick Allen 2 years, 9 months ago

Wilt would have never left KU early had he been allowed to play for the man that recruited him. The mandatory 70 retirement age was absurd. At the time all KU professors had to retire at 70 and Chancellor Murphy did not think an exception was warranted. I can guarantee you Wilt would have never come to KU if he had any reason to believe Phog would be denied the opportunity to coach him. Bowden and Paterno coach into their 80s. Phog was too old at 70! The lack of a shot clock also was a factor in Wilt leaving for the Globetrotters, as he grew tired of stall ball and triple teaming. Harp's use of Wilt was unimaginative and also contributed to Wilt's early exit.

KULA 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, Jeff's a lock for Big 12 Player of the Week. Which means all of our starters have won that honor, right? What other team in what other conference can say that? Jeff did seem to noticeably tire in the second half and was much less active offensively, but that comes with increased minutes. But really, 20 rebounds and 7 blocks? Are you kidding me, BAY-BEE???!!!

I guess EJ broke out of his slump too, if you can say that about Conner. Still like to see him go to the hole more often rather than hanging around the 3pt line all the time. He'd probably be surprised how many 3pt looks would open up if he took it inside more.

Tyshawn's play continues to make the Cousy Award voters wish they had a do-over.

Travis's controlled weave up the court on his one man fast break was simply elegant. His breakdown of the defensive man was downright methodical.

TRob put another nail in the coffin of the hopes of any other Player of the Year candidate. I gotta think he's a lock at this point. They're not gonna give it to a freshman if an upperclassman has comparable stats. (and TRob's are actually better than UK's Davis) And TRob's back story is so compelling, the NCAA's gotta be drooling to make him their poster child. The Movie of the Week is probably already in preproduction.

And Naadir FINALLY got some minutes in the first half so our starting guards got a little rest and didn't have to play 40 minutes. Bill must be reading my posts, lol.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't think EJ has had POW for the Big XII.

TT, TRob, TRele, and most likely J Withey now.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

You're probably right since conf play, but there was a game or two earlier where EJ really went off.

In any case, four (if not all five) POWs is remarkable!

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I have an idea that should be fair. If Mizzou wants to play us so badly, we play them. But it's once a year and only in Lawrence. Throw that at them and see what they say. That's what Texas does with the lessers in Texas, like SMU and Texas State.. It's an offer and a show of good faith. If not the ball is back in their court and they can't say we didn't offer.

KUAlum2000 2 years, 9 months ago

I like this idea a lot. We are getting a lot of negative cry-baby press for this move. It especially feels worse since we are 0-2 against them in the big two sports (FB and so far in BB). Spoke to a co-worker down here in the southwest that is a Mizzou alum and he said even if they split with us they still go out winners.

We should offer this up (maybe let SZ dress it up a different way) and see what they say about it. This means not playing in KC, all games are in Lawrence, OR if we play in KC we get all the proceeds as home team every game. That way, we can still make our money.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

Now we see one of the reasons that the"52" Jayhawks were so great. Look at the above picture. Have you ever seen better looking uniforms? I don't remember the shorts but the tops are fabulous. Very distinctive.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Wear these uniforms again.

They look great!

Maybe for the MU game.

Definitely for the NC game against UK in which we upset them the way UNC upset KU and Wilt in 1957.

2012 KU Jayhawks.

The Team of Destiny!!

Rock Chalk!!

Matt Bowers 2 years, 9 months ago

I wish they would make tshirts of them as well, for people like me who looks less flattering in a jersey!!!

Rock Chalk

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

The box score lists Jamari Traylor playing.

Is KU under investigation yet?

:-)

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Kevin Young is quietly trending up. He had 13 very productive minutes. Extrapolated to 40 minutes he was around 14 pts and 10 reebs.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

I think Young needs to put up more shots especially against the zone defenses. He looks good going in and out of zone. He could well be a key to our success in the tournament.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Self has found the perfect needle for this year's team...last year's team.

These guys really, really want to prove they are better. The only way they can ist to get a title and go deeper in March. They can't lose fewer games.

They will prove they are better.

They are only now discovering how tough they can be.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

Best suggestion of the day .. wear the throwbacks vs. MU.

Worst suggestion of the day .. sign a petition not to play MU.

Question of the day .. why didn't Wesley play? He had only played 8 and 9 minutes the last two games, prior to yesterday. But zero minutes?

oldalum 2 years, 9 months ago

He went in right at the end of the first half, probably for two minutes.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

Last 30 seconds; I know that. The point is he has been playing and all of a sudden didn't.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Re Justin--hunch...Self thinks Justin can already give what Self asks of him, I.e., defense, so Self is trying to ramp KY up to what is needed. KY needs to come in and score and board without the blow-bys. KY's been slowly getting net better and noticeably more comfortable for about 3 weeks, even though it hasn't always shown on the line score. We need KY to sub for either big and maintain a second scorer, when we are even, or behind. Justin is already sound enough on defense to come in when we are ahead and protect a lead with defense only. Plus Self gets what every one else does: KY has a player inside struggling to get out. If it could get out this season, the team would be ready for a deep run. But there aren't many easy games this time of year to get him his minutes. Finally, OSU plays finesse, which suits KY. With KSU,and their body-ball next, best to keep Justin fresh for that.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

slayr/jaybate: Good point on style of play. I guess I was just puzzled by really zero PT .. meaning whether there has simply been a shift to KY. But your points make sense and provide the probable explanation.

Matt Elliott 2 years, 9 months ago

Any word on Shaw? I know this is a a basketball article but wondering if Charlie has pulled another great recruit in. He is visiting this weekend. RCJH!!

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes he did! Wonder if he'll be a RB or play defense here. Rivals lists his stats at:

1167 yds. rushing with 17 TDs

and

59 tackles with 4 INTs

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Our basketball team's blow out win against OSU only scored 11 more points than their football team scored against ours last fall.

I still hate you turner gill!

LSHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I wouldnt sign the petition not to play MU but I do think we should NOT play them anymore. Loved the uni's myself, liked the piping around the coller.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

If Misery wants to play us so bad tell them to show up for a final four.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

BoulderHawk-----Hell, ya! But they can sure create some nifty video clips about their school, right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Anyone else notice when higher ranked MU plays KU college game day shows up. When higher ranked Baylor plays KU big Monday shows up. Yet when they play each other the game is pigeon holed on espn3.

Nick Cole 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I noticed, but the tv schedule is set up before the season starts. Just shows how much faith ESPN has in mu or Baylor.

WilburNether 2 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone else notice that Jamari Traylor played 37 minutes yesterday? According to the Journal-World, he did, and scored 12 points. You might have thought you saw Tyshawn Taylor on the court, but according to the "reporters" at the Journal-World, he did not play. Click on the "Box Score" link, and this is what the Journal-World reported:

Kansas MIN FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA OR DR TOT A PF ST TO BL PTS Thomas Robinson 33 8 14 1 1 7 7 5 9 14 2 4 0 3 1 24 Jeff Withey 32 6 13 0 0 6 8 6 14 20 1 2 1 1 7 18 Jamari Traylor 37 5 14 0 5 2 4 0 2 2 6 1 1 3 0 12 Elijah Johnson 32 4 9 3 6 0 0 0 4 4 5 2 2 4 0 11 Travis Releford 33 5 6 0 0 0 0 2 2 4 2 2 0 1 0 10 Naadir Tharpe 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Conner Teahan 14 0 3 0 3 0 0 0 1 1 1 4 0 1 0 0 Justin Wesley 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Kevin Young 13 2 3 0 0 0 0 2 1 3 1 1 1 1 0 4 TEAM 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 TEAM TOTALS 200 30 62 4 15 15 19 17 33 50 18 16 5 14 8 81 PERCENTAGES FG: 48.4% 3PT: 26.7% FT: 78.9% TOTAL TO: 14

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Yep, I noted this above...and he had kind of an off day from trey, too. :-)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 9 months ago

Man, Traylor was great yesterday. First action of the season. I'm sure we'll have to forfeit, but I admire Self for giving the kid some game action. I hear BMac will get some minutes Monday.

Nick Cole 2 years, 9 months ago

Keep these unis! Keep these unis! Keep these unis!

Even Tyshawn said they are "dope" and he wants to wear them again...

Can someone make an online petition I can sign for this... ;D

Dirk Medema 2 years, 9 months ago

Didn't Larry do that when he came in the 80's? I seem to recall this whole embrace the heritage movement. Sounds great!

Bion Ostrander 2 years, 9 months ago

To answer that burning question from earlier in the week - - No, CT is not out of his 3-point slump.

So which team is KU, the team of the 1st or 2nd half? I'm not sure any college team would have beat KU the first half, and I'm pretty sure at least 4 other Big 12 teams, and a whole lot of other teams would have beat KU the second half.

Wow, just when I think KU has turned the corner, Withey playing really well 2 games in a row, then they stink it up. No, the sky is not falling, but I know a lot of people will only see the first half as the glass is half full and fail to recognize that KU is just as likely to look like that 2nd half team. And clearly HCBS knows that and he indicates he should not have praised them at half time, given what happened in the 2nd half.

This team still thinks it is as good as prior KU teams that could turn it on when they wanted, this team does not have that talent and depth. And they can easily be knocked out of the Big 12 and NCAA tourney very quickly if they continue to have that mindset.

It will be interesting to see if K-State attempts to duplicate Okie States success against KU in the 2nd half, full court pressure, some traps, match up zone, and pushing our guards clear out to the half court line when KU is on offense.

But one big improvement is Withey's consistent play, if he keeps it up, teams will not be able to double/triple team TRob without Jeff making them pay.

Offsetting the positive is that KU is this deep in the season and still making a lot of bonehead plays, errant and lazy passes, and lackluster effort a lot of times.

Supposedly as good as KU is on 3-point defense (which I don't necessarily buy, because offsetting that is KU's far below average 3-point shooting on offense which is only slightly better than what they hold teams to), its somewhat surprising that this group of guards are not good at stealing the ball or getting turnovers. Okie State had 0 turnovers the second half and only 6 for the game. Far from those days with Rus Rob and Mario.

KU will need a great effort, again, against K-State. Go Hawks...

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

I keep seeing people complain about our second half performance. While not ideal (and certainly not pretty), you have to realize that these things do not exist in a vacuum. You can't just look at the second half out of context (although I'm sure Self will when he rips into his team). It's human nature to coast when victory is certain. They were never in danger of losing that game once they built their huge lead. Okie State is not exactly UNC charging back on us in the '08 Final Four. On the heels of two big, emotional road games at Misery and at Baylor it had all the makings of a let-down game; a trap game with the game at Manhattan on Monday night. Instead they came out and did what they needed to do - put the game away early. I don't put much stock into that second half. Ho-hum. Next. Bring on KSUck.

(If you really want to see a second half choke job, look at what KSUck did yesterday at Texas. They have much more reason to worry about their team than we do ours).

Steve Brown 2 years, 9 months ago

Love the throw back uni's.

Question: did we have a tradition of wearing home blues with red/white piping at home. Maybe a faint memory, we didn't wear whites in AFH, until Larry arrived, true or false?

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

The home team wearing white is an NCAA rule, which allows another (lighter) color if the visiting team consents.

I do think the baggy shorts have gone too far beyond just 'loose and comfortable' and something neither retro nor contemporary would be an improvement.

Davoud Maha 2 years, 9 months ago

Important game coming up tomorrow. if KU wins, we have a 90+% chance of winning the big 12 and not share it with MU.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

I think OSU will be pumped up when we visit also. They had a pretty good second half against us, their coach will probably try to capitalize on that. Both KSU and OSU tripped up Mizzou on the road... Were so close, it'd be a shame to have to share it...

championhawks 2 years, 9 months ago

I also have to imagine that KU would have attacked more if OSU played like that in the first half.

For example, on one possession (I think it was Taylor but not sure) we had broke the press easily. We got the ball on the sideline and I think 3 OSU players were behind the ball. I would imagine that earlier in the game/not such a blow out, they would have realized they had numbers and attacked the rim. Instead, we got it over half court am stopped, allowing them to get their players down court and set up the defense.

If K-State tried to duplicate the second half on Monday, I have a feeling we will be ready for it and the kitties won't continue to try that for long.

danno1313 2 years, 9 months ago

Keep the old school look. If it was good enough for Clyde, it s good enough for this team.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 9 months ago

"This team can play better, but there’s less margin for error.”

the way our team outgunned OSU the 1st half, that's the least error anybody can find on the team. let's keep playing that way. we are already a final four contender. heck, a final champ potential!!!

r o c k c h a l k !!!

Cantkeepagooddudedown 2 years, 9 months ago

The thing that irritates me about how they played in the 2nd half was the selfishness in not getting those walk-on's some extended playing time.

THAT needs to be a source of pride for our front 7 or 8 guys.... it's not very often in conference games the walk-ons get an opportunity to go out there and reap the rewards of their hard work in practice... and past KU teams have had that pride that they' would keep working hard to put the game well out of reach and let those guys have some fun. I don't understand the "cruise control" posture and attitude that these guys get. Put it on cruise control later on from the bench when you're cheering on your teammates!

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking that too, only not necessarily about the walk-ons, but rather more of the bench players - Merv, Tharpe (although he did play in the first half), and then the walk-ons.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 9 months ago

Looks like KU could get that 3rd #1 seed locked up for the St Louis Region if they win out and make it to the Big 12 championship game.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if I would want a #1 seed or not, with our past history in the Dance. I do know this------if Withey keeps improving, with some of the players off the bench, and, we play like we did in the first half against the Pokes, we might find ourselves in New Orleans in the Final 4. Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

I live in the Wichita, KS area and right now, they are on fire. Still a lot of basketball left. The cool thing about Selection Sunday is that one can see the teams that are on fire and ones that the wheels are falling off the bus. The Shockers will probably get ranked for the first time this season after knocking off Creighton. Wichita State is playing on all cylinders, no argument there. I would love to see the Jayhawks and the Shockers hook up in a Tournament game. There would be a lot of interest and trash talking in this Great State of Kansas, that's for sure.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 9 months ago

9 Kenpom's rating. that's impressive.

they've been regulars to the tourney nowadays. whoever the heck is coaching must be a hellufa coach.

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't know that they've been "regulars". Assuming they make it this year, it will be current coach Greg Marshall's first time taking them. Before that, Mark Turgeon took them to one or two. He's already made a stop at aTm and moved on, just to give you an idea of how "regular" they are in the tournament.

Not a knock on Marshall, WSU (where I actually went to college), or Coach Marshall. Just thought the term "regulars" might have been applied too loosely.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 9 months ago

WSU is very good this year, I hope that they do not end up in our bracket..but if we do end up playing each other it should be an intense game. It would be interesting to see Withey vs Stutz . I think Roy stopped playing Wichita around 93?

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

This is my problem with Wichita State - their fans. They are Missouri light. They have that inferiority/little brother complex when it comes to KU. Instead of just enjoying their own accomplishments, whenever they start to achieve a modicum of success that black & gold bandwagon gets fired up and starts taking shots at KU. "They're scared to play us." "I hope we meet them in the tournament so we can beat them." "Our arena is better than Allen Fieldhouse." "We're the best school in the state." Blah blah blah. What did it for me with their fan base was a few years ago they were off to an unbelievable start, undefeated in late December/early January. The week the rankings came out WSU was ranked #7 I believe, KU #9. WSU printed up t-shirts with the top 25 rankings on the back, and actually highlighted both themselves and KU on the shirt (the two rankings were both in larger font and in bold I believe). Totally Misery-esque.

BTW, this is coming from someone who attended WSU for several years. I actually think they have a really good team, coach, and arena. But living here...it gets a little ridiculous with the hyperbole, especially when it comes to comparisons to KU.

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

addendum - the year they printed up those t-shirts, their team flamed out miserably and failed to make the NCAA tournament.

dtdjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I grew up in wichita and feel the exact same thing. in fact one game I attended they actually started a chant saying "we want KU". I think that they are a good team this year and will make the tournament but the talent level is not the same. we should wipe the floor with them if we do ever meet. I do agree with you on their fan base it is ridiculous . A kid i know said that he would rather have stutz on his team than robinson...a little bitter and delusional i would use to describe them. and as far as marshall is conerned i am sorry to say but wsu is just a stepping stone to a better coaching gig .

KansasComet 2 years, 9 months ago

Great day to be a Kansas Fan. Glad the team put on a good show for the 1952 team. We are getting better and starting to come together as a team. I am not going to say that we had a bad 2nd half. I will say that OSU was motivated and they have some pretty good athletes on their squad. That being said, when we are going good and being unselfish, it is a joy to watch.

As far as ever playing Missouri again. They cannot have it both ways. If they wanted to keep the "Rivalry" with Kansas, then all they had to do was stay in the Big XII. If we play them again, it will probably be in some sort of tournament.

FLJHK 2 years, 9 months ago

Re continuing the KU – MU series, I vote an emphatic NO!

1. No matter how it’s spun, it was MU’s decision to leave the conference and thereby end the rivalry. We should not reward such selfish (and ill-advised) behavior.
  2. A huge component of the rivalry was that it mattered in conference standings. That is now gone. While certain other rivalries of proximate schools, e.g. Ga-Ga Tech, Florida-FSU, S. Car-Clemson exist out of conferences, they have always been out of conference. They are not situations where one school chose to go elsewhere.
  3. Keeping the rivalry only serves MU’s interest in retaining a recruiting footprint in the general KC area. Why would we want to abet that?

MU made this bed. Let them sleep in it.

Beate Williams 2 years, 9 months ago

Totally agree FLJHK. The same thing KU administration is saying about the rivalry is being said in Texas by Texas to A&M and Baylor to A&M. A&M would love to continue the Texas series in football and basketball and they would like to continue what has become a serious rivalry in women's basketball. Mulkey, the women's coach has been quite adamant about not continuing, very forceful in her comments. They, A&M and Mo. decided to leave; be it for financial reasons or what have you, let them live with their decisions.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

There is a great video on Y-Tube on Clyde Lovellette and Phog Allen and the 1952 Champion Jayhawks. If you want to see a smooth hook shot check it out. http://youtu.be/eVPOnPP8vOM

JayHok 2 years, 9 months ago

Mizzou left the conference and left the rivalry.

As the decade unfolds Kansas will own the Kansas City recruiting market and TV market. Mizzou will own the St Louis recruiting market and TV market.

Why would Kansas allow Mizzou to have a footprint, much less a toe print in KC.

Mizzou promised the SEC a small piece of KC. This is nothing more than the SEC behind the scenes pressuring Mizzou.

Why would Kansas give the SEC or Mizzou a piece of the future of KC.

RCJ

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Clyde is by far the best "Love" basketball player. Sorry Kevin.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Good game Kansas. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but I can easily see the Jayhawks getting 10 consecutive conference championships.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 9 months ago

Lets nail down 8 before worrying about 10.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

Missouri cowardly left the Big 12 the same way Quantrill and his Raiders cowardly ran from Lawrence. This rivalry stays only under the following conditions:

1] All games [football, basketball, soccer, tiddlely winks, etc. are played in Lawrence.

2] All Missouri teams must stay in Lawrence and every cent spent on the trip for expenses must be spent in the state of Kansas. [That will truly burn Norm's ass!!]

3] After every Jayhawk victory, the Missouri team must stand at mid-court, the 50 yard line, homeplate, etc. and wave the wheat in unison with KU Nation.

4] All Missouri uniforms will use the spelling "Missoura" [native Missourians hate this!!}

5] Anyone wanting to sign a petition must first introduce and circulate a petition getting permission to circulate a petition.

6] Missouri's official mascot against Kansas will be exclusively, Frosted Flake's, Tony the Tiger.

7] Missouri must declare "Quantrill was an A$$hole Day" as a state holiday every year

8] Missouri plays Kansas for free...all game and TV proceeds go to us

9] Whenever a Missouri team loses, they have to walk back to Columbia!!.

10] When Missouri starts play in the SEC next year, every uniform must wear this phrase..." The union won..you lost....deal with it"

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

21. Virginia
  22. Harvard
  23. Indiana
  24. Louisville
  25. Michigan

Kye Clark 2 years, 9 months ago

No way Murray St. stays that high. They drop 10 spots I bet. Florida also got blown out (albeit by UK), bank on us being ranked ahead of them. Possibly UNC too, after choking away the game against Duke on their home court.