Friday, February 10, 2012

Keegan

Jeremy Case digs aide gig

Had this been Jeremy Case’s senior year, he probably would be averaging at least 20 minutes a game as the Kansas University basketball team’s third guard. In his day, he warmed the bench, but expresses no regrets.

The national-championship ring he won in 2008 comes in handy.

Case is an assistant basketball coach at Southeast Missouri State in Cape Girardeau, Mo., working under head coach Dickey Nutt.

“Yeah, oh yeah, I wear the ring,” Case said in a telephone interview. “On a home visit, I’ll wear it. If I go see a player play, I’ll wear it. It’s a great conversation piece. A lot of guys see it and ask me about it.”

Does he let the recruits try it on?

“No,” Case said. “They can’t do that.”

But they can ask away about his alma mater. He’s always happy to discuss KU, which he watches play on TV when his schedule allows.

“I don’t think they’re as talented as they have been in the past, but they work hard, they play hard, and coach Self is doing a great job,” Case said. “I can tell they’re starting to do exactly what he wants them to do.”

After graduating from KU and exhausting his playing eligibility as a fifth-year senior, Case entertained thoughts of playing professionally in Europe, where in the right league he could have been a scoring sensation drawing big paychecks.

He sought advice from the wisest man he knows, his father, Win Case. Win won two NAIA national championships at Oklahoma City University and now is an assistant coach at Middle Tennessee State. Win told him, “If this is what you want to do, you better get started.”

Jeremy worked one season as a graduate assistant for Self and asked him to call Nutt on his behalf, when Nutt inherited a program on NCAA probation and coming off a 3-27 record. Nutt hired Case to join in him in a rebuilding project that in its third year already has reversed the Redhawks’ fortunes. SEMO is 13-11 overall, 8-4 in the Ohio Valley Conference. The Redhawks had a chance to make national news in a road game against undefeated, ninth-ranked Murray State recently, but couldn’t hang onto a halftime lead.

All the lessons the second-generation coach Case learned from his father and his college coach — teammates at Oklahoma State, where Nutt had just finished playing — couldn’t prepare him for the extent of renovation needed in Cape Girardeau.

“The first year was miserable,” Jeremy said of a 7-23 season in 2009-2010. “To go from one end of the spectrum to the other was really an eye-opener. Coach Nutt did a great job of keeping the players going. Every day he walks in he’s got a pep in his step, and that rubs off on our guys. He knows what he’s doing.”

Ten games into Nutt’s second season, the Redhawks’ losing streak reached 18, making Nutt, with the help of Case, 7-33 in his first 40 games, 23-23 in the next 46.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 2 months ago

Okay, since everybody is in fine mettle with the petal in the kettle,

I'm starting the list for the 'Great Names' AllStar Team: I hereby nominate: Scoop Jardine Dash Harris

Anybody else?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Holy moly...you guys on this string had some really good hashish and didn't share with the rest of us.

Shame on you all!!

I came up with a game many years ago I called "Name Chain". The idea was to connect as many famous names as possible by combining the first and last names in order i.e Denise Richards - Richard Marcks - Marc Anthony - Anthony[Tony] Bill - Billy Williams - William[Billy] Crystal - Crystal Gayle - Gayle Sayers

I wish I had been up when this chain started...I think you guys would have been spectacular!!!

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

This entire thread was removed by site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

One of the best posts of the year from someone yesterday: I can explain it to you, but can't help you understand it. Applicable to 1 of 10 posters?

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

I lived near a guy named Ted once. Contrary to what you would think, Ted wasn't really a boring guy. He was a KSU fan, though. He moved. I'm not really bragging, but I thought you all might want to know.

PS...I didn't mention Bill Self or Jeremey Case. Just thought I should point that out. I didn't live near either of them, if anyone was wondering.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Good to hear about this. Mr. Case will make an awesome coach someday.

Imagine what a player he would have been had he not been injured early in his career!

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

too fast a pace for an old guy's taste.

I close in haste.

lincase 2 years, 2 months ago

Let us hope there are no undies trimmed with lace in the suitcase because that would be a disgrace.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

2:06 am ?

Did you take a shot of mace in the face? Or have you been in outer space? I had to ask, just in case, but mostly just to fill some space in this place.

all in fun jaybate - i literally lol'd. funny stuff.

Eybea Opiner 2 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate is suffering from diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the mind.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Show case son of Win Case who lives in a suitcase in the coaching rat race and fills his brain case like a brief case trying to get from first base to first place.

Rock Chalk, J Case.