Kansas defeats Baylor, 68-54

• 6 p.m., Feb. 8, 2012
  • The Ferrell Center, Waco, TX

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jeff Withey bears down

Kansas big man ‘amazing’ against Baylor

Thomas Robinson (0) left congratulates Jeff Withey (5) at the end of the Jayhawks 68-54 win over the Baylor Bears, Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2012 at Baylor. Withey had a career high 25 points in the win.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 68-54 victory over Baylor on Feb. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Baylor coach Scott Drew

Baylor coach Scott Drew talks to reporters following the Bears' 68-54 loss to Kansas on Feb. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Baylor

Box score

— A little peer pressure helped Jeff Withey bury Baylor on Wednesday night in Ferrell Center.

“We’ve been screaming at him every day at practice, punching him in his chest, jumping on him, trying to get him fired up,” Kansas University senior guard Tyshawn Taylor said after Wednesday’s Withey-led 68-54 rout of the Bears.

Withey, a 7-footer from San Diego, scored 25 points off 8-of-10 shooting and 9-of-11 free throwing just four days after scoring zero points in a 74-71 loss at Missouri.

“He came out and played amazing, man,” Taylor added after watching Withey explode for 17 points the first half alone, surpassing his previous career-high scoring mark of 15 points set against Oklahoma on Feb. 1. “I’m so happy with my big fella right now.”

Withey, who scored five points in a 14-3 run to close the first half and turn a 10-point deficit into a 33-30 lead, also had six points to Taylor’s 10 in a 23-2 surge that upped a 33-32 lead to 56-34 with 12:40 left.

He admits his teammates have been on him a bit since the MU game.

“Tyshawn (19 points, 4-of-7 three-point shooting), Elijah (Johnson, no points, five assists, 37 minutes) and Thomas (Robinson, 15 points, 11 boards) ... every practice, if I mess up they’re are all over me. They expect a lot out of me. I expect a lot out of them,” Withey said.

“We keep each other accountable. They definitely try to get me fired up, whether it’s punching me in the chest or whatever.”

Withey, who also had five rebounds, six turnovers and three blocks in 29 minutes Wednesday, said coach Bill Self also has been in his ear.

“Coach definitely got in my head. He told me I can’t go games where I don’t score. I have to be part of this team and help out,” Withey said. “My teammates trusted me today. They made great plays and found me open.”

Self scoffed when informed of Withey’s words.

“These guys are unbelievable coming up with stuff to tell you guys (media) that doesn’t have anything to do with anything,” Self cracked. “I don’t know what I told him. It wasn’t anything different than what I usually tell him.”

Self was mighty impressed with Withey’s effort on a day the No. 7-ranked Jayhawks (19-5) forced a tie with Missouri for the Big 12 Conference lead at 9-2 and pulled ahead of No. 6-rated Baylor (21-3, 8-3).

“It’s probably about as good offensively as we’ve had a big man play here (in Self’s nine seasons at KU). Cole (Aldrich) had some good games. I don’t know if he had any better than that. He was great. We needed him to be great tonight,” Self said. “We get one point out of two starters (Travis Releford had one point in 24 minutes and Johnson none in 37 minutes). That means some guys pitched in and played well.”

Withey said the Jayhawks made some adjustments on the fly after falling behind 19-9 early.

“We decided to change plays against their zone, have somebody always in the middle. It just opened up,” Withey said. “They way we were matched up, it left me open every time.”

Again, Self refused to take credit for any specific plays to help turn around the team after a slow beginning.

“We attacked their zone well the first time we played them,” Self said of KU’s 92-74 victory over the Bears on Jan. 16 in Allen Fieldhouse. “We tried to attack it similarly tonight. They did a better job with that. I don’t know if it was great adjustments. It was guys getting in gaps and playing.”

Conner Teahan had eight points off the bench on a day just five Jayhawks scored. KU held Perry Jones III to five points off 1-of-8 shooting in 25 minutes.

“Thomas played great defense. We decided to trap the post. I think it bothered him a lot,” Withey said. “Thomas played straight up on him, and it forced him to take awkward shots.”

Pierre Jackson scored 16, while Quincy Acy and Cory Jefferson had 11 apiece for BU.

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

jb, thanks for the fine work on my avatar. I dropped a note to you at your gallery. Actually, I am computer impaired, not versatile at cutting, pasting, uploading, etc.

kuae99 2 years, 2 months ago

Whoever wrote the headline deserves a bonus, or at least a week's worth of lunch. Multiple meanings in just four words. Perfect skill.

MrPilot 2 years, 2 months ago

Aaaaand, Murray State fades back into obscurity.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Assuming we win the games we should win, the game that decides the outright champion will be Missouri @ Kansas. Easy win for the jayhawks.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

REHawk,

Your personalized avatar is posted in jaybate's Gallery of College Basketball Paintography. :-)

CWGOKU 2 years, 2 months ago

I still can' believe those meth making, styrofoam cooler toting, in-breeders shot off fireworks inside the Paige Arena. Morons

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Gary,

Was that an intentional pun in the title or simply a fortuitous choice of words. Either way.....well done.

{ For those who are scratching their heads.....it is the Baylor "Bears" after all!! ]

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Not gonna lie - I was pretty bummed when we came out and got behind by 10 early. KU appeared ready to give the game away. We were getting out-hustled on both ends of the court.

And then Jeff Withey happened. What a night for the big fella!

Great things seem to happen when he and TRob get their touches on offense. Tyshawn is the vocal leader, but TRob and Withey lead by example.

And to answer Self's remark about Cole not having better games that Withey's last night: Recall the Final Four where Cole shut down Tyler Hansboro (not as great statistically as Withey last night, but a more meaningful game) and then there was the triple double Cole had with 10+ points, rebounds...and blocks. Other than that, yes, this is the best night a center has had since Self arrived in Lawrence.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Some Ways to Get Tyshawn Some Rest (or Make It So He Needs None):"

~Get TT one of DARPA's new invisibility suits (the ones made of fiber optic threads that bend the light rays around you through the suit's fabric) and let him walk around scoring the hole game, because no one can see where he is.

~ Convert Tyshawn into a bio-wind turbine hybrid and have him run intermittently on hot air from Dick Vitale.

~Install a police crowd control microwave transmitter court side and gerry rig it to stimulate the sound of Beyonce's voice in TT's head saying, "If you play forty minutes, you can body me."

~Have him wear a camel back hydrator loaded with a Monster cola and epinephrine cocktail.

~Order TRob a super sized Baby Sling and let TT hitch a ride with TRob every other time down the floor.

~Cite print so fine in the NCAA rule book that no one can read it and let Tyshawn play the first half on a Segway Scooter.

~Break out one of those old mid70s rocket packs and let Tyshawn play the game 30 feet off the floor for a half.

~After the next game, slip him enough over-the-counter melatonin to keep him asleep till just before the next tip off.

~Tell him Wilt played 40, so he can, too.

dmc67 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think so. I was at the game last night. The fans left with a little over 11 minutes left in the game. The players pretty much quit after Miller's roller derby move. I'm not sure that Baylor doesn't lose 3 or 4 more games in conference. This team reminds me of UT with Tom Penders. The only reason to cross half court is to get a steal or inbound the ball after a make. I like Jackson and Acy. I think Perry Jones mails it in if anyone close to his talent level plays against him. Ratliffe wore him out in the first BU/MU game. If Mizzou comes into the game thinking that just because they beat us at home and we destroyed BU, they can coast through the game, that's the only way I see Baylor walking out with a win.

KansasComet 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's not get too high on this one. It was a great win, but as I have said before, "winning is a great deodorant". We still have a lot of work to do and a lot of kinks to work out. Hopefully we will peak at the right time. When we impose our will on the opposition, we are the best team in the country. When we get tired or play without confidence, we are not a very good team. I think by tournament time this team will be special. Confidence is the key. Go Jayhawks

KansasComet 2 years, 2 months ago

dtdjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone think mizzou will lose on saturday to baylor? Just curious because i think there is a possibility

Robert Murphy 2 years, 2 months ago

I know I am late to the conversation but I think the most important thing for Withey is he must stop dribbling the ball. The first thing in the game he gets it down low and has plenty of time to score but he stops to dribble it and there it goes stolen by a smaller player. After that he was taking it to the hole and scoring (night @ day) . Usually when I watch a game when ever they pass the ball to Jeff I yell don't dribble it, and most of the time it is to no avail and more often than not it is to late to get the shot he can make or he is standing there in a sea of migets. One dribble and one shows up two dribbles and there seem to be ten. I can't believe Manning can't teach this better for with proper technique Jeff could be an All American. I could see by watching his high school tapes that he could develop into a great player and last night he proved it.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

You'd think I/we'd learn. Every year Baylor comes up on the schedule. A bit of a shiver goes through the spine, wow that's a talented team. Then we play them. And I think, what was I worried for? You see I always forget that they have Scott Drew and we have Bill Self.
Drew looked befuddled last night, almost like he didn't know what to do, almost like he had no halftime speech for the team.
Eventually the recruits are going to stop going there when they figure this out.
Or they're going to stop going there when the NCAA finds something that's happening to get all of those top players there. Ron Zook could recruit with the best of them, it was easy at Florida, not so at Illinois but he still had great recruiting classes. He got fired at Florida because he couldn't coach. He got fired at Illinois for the same.
If Baylor was smart they'd realize at the very least they've got a Ron Zook on their hands and let him go. On the other hand, these wins we get against his highly rated teams are most satisfying. Expectations to have a tough game melt away when you blow their doors off, our place or theirs.

wisjayhawkfan 2 years, 2 months ago

How do you think last years team would do with this years schedule. Any thoughts? been curious about this for awhile.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

What the heck was Quincy Miller thinking when he elbowed Withey. It looks like he was following orders from Drew. I assume this based on the look on Drew's face when the ref told him what the deal was....like he knew it was coming.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh, One stat to keep track of from last night....................14 3 point FG attempts! Is that a beautiful number or what? It's below 15 attempts which is even better and the number 6 goes with 14 pretty darn well because that means KU worked the paint and shot a little less than 43 percent from downtown in limited attempts! Wonderful!

That ladies and gents is a beautiful site. If EJ can just knock down 1 a game.............that's not asking too much IMO! Man, that stat makes me a happy camper!

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

“I’m so happy with my big fella right now.”

I'm so happy Tyshawn has really stepped in to lead this team. We've had these problems in other years where no one stepped up to lead. Clearly, this is Tyshawn's team.

And when a team has a leader they take on the characteristics of that leader. With Tyshawn that means explosive play. This team is capable of exploding points on the board like no other KU team in recent history. When we pour on the gas it is amazing to watch!

The downside is... when we stumble, we can trip into a bad hole (like we did at Mizzou). Tyshawn usually has a hand in our stumbles, too.

So it all boils down to limiting this team's stumble moments.. and a big part of that is limiting Tyshawn's stumbles. He's done a pretty good job (overall) in reducing his stumbles.

If we want to start building safety margin for error (as we have enjoyed with past Hawk teams), then we have to start getting point production out of TRele and EJ.

It is amazing we can win like this with basically 3 scorers... 59 of our 68 points came from TT, TRob and Mr. W.

How far can we make it in March with just these 3?

I have to be honest... EJ is getting on my nerves. He's developed an unhealthy concept of offense that will eventually sink this team.

We are a disciplined enough team (and with good skills) that we don't need to survive off of 3s. 3s are a luxury score. When we treat them for the limited value they hold we will become more effective at shooting them, too.

At this point I hope EJ doesn't make another 3 this year. It would help us in the long run as pressure would continue to build and force him to man up and start using his incredible natural talent to bring the ball into human contact. But we all know he will make a few 3s here and there and will continue to create the situation where he's chasing the dragon for the next 3.

I put his malfunction level at the level of Justin's fouling... Even Connor has stepped up to do more. Conner took the ball to the hole at least twice last night, and consequently, had enough balance where he could take quality treys and hit a couple. That optimism trickled over into other areas of his game, and he ran down several long rebounds and showed plenty of good hustle. These are the kind of results you can expect out of balanced players.

Playing all those minutes and producing ZERO points against a team that didn't play defense should tell you plenty! At least he did have 5 assists (an extremely positive stat). Without those assists he's stealth from the stat page.

TRele just doesn't want to shoot. How do you make a guy like him think perhaps a bit more selfish? Can a player be too team-oriented?

lrahardja 2 years, 2 months ago

Hope EJ plays more aggressive when the defense starts swarming TT... Coaches need to help EJ better with his shooting touch. He looks like he is slightly sitting down when he shoots...

Yolanda Gay 2 years, 2 months ago

I have to admit I was a naysayer regarding Jeff. But Jeff has really come through for us on several games. To get far, we are going to need Thomas and Ty. But I think the real key is going to be Jeff's contribution.

As we have seen in the past, it's hard to have only a 2 person offensive threat. We need another scorer.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

The one thing I really enjoyed in this game and I'm sure a lot of you recognized this as well.....................when T-Rob was frustrated in the first half and picked up his second foul..............he was still involved in the game cheering for his teammates when Withey was dominating in the paint.

What was awesome from my opinon is that T-Rob adopted the role of being the "Target" and relished the fact that he could feed his boy "Withey" with a career game.

I mean, there was one play where Withey gave a touch pass to T-Rob, T-Rob held the ball for a half second longer and then gave a short crisp touch pass back to Withey for an "And 1" opportunity with two defenders swarming at T-Rob.

I think for the first time this year you saw T-Rob forget about points, rebounds, the stress of carrying the team and just allowed the double teams to come and trust his teammates that they would "Make Plays".

After that, the game came to T-Rob and he still got his double-double! That was the part I enjoyed the most from last nights game.

Jim Pendleton 2 years, 2 months ago

“It’s probably about as good offensively as we’ve had a big man play here (in Self’s nine seasons at KU). Cole (Aldrich) had some good games. I don’t know if he had any better than that".

Apparently Coach Bill has forgotten about Cole's triple-double against Dayton, in the NCAA Tournament, in his hometown!

All joking aside, what a great win and effort, particularly after the way the game started out. I thought we were going to get run off the floor for awhile there. We need to keep this going, as coaches will say one game at a time. It's easy to want to look ahead, but we must take care of the games in front of us, as they come. Rock Chalk!!

Vittorio1224 2 years, 2 months ago

You could really tell our Jayhawks were HUNGRY last night. Last year was the same thing down in Waco. KU was dissed by the national media and everyone was saying we were undeserving of our high national ranking and we ended up punking Baylor by 20 points or something. Same thing this year. After absorbing some "body blows" early in the game and trailing 19-9, we REALLY turned it on. Withey was HUGE. If he plays like that on a consistent basis, I like our chances to 8-peat and also win the Big 12 tourney. Not sure what the heck is going on with Releford and Elijah, though. Maybe Ty, T-Rob and Withey need to pound them in the chest or something?

All in all, a GREAT win over a legit Baylor team. They just don't match up well with our "Twin Towers" in the middle...In two games now, we've beaten them by a collective 32 points. Now we need to take care of business against OSU (a dangerous team IMO) and win out! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

VaJay 2 years, 2 months ago

I really liked how Self put Withey on the line for the technical foul shots. He only made one of two, so I guess it'll still be Tyshawn going to the line for those. But talk about a great stroke at the line - Withey is the best big man foul shooter I've seen in a long time.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's some of my favorite quotes yesterday from the Missouri Trolls!

1) MizzouBest(anonymous) says…

What's that sound??????? Wait for it!!!! Wait for it!!!!!!!

K-BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Kansas Basketball program crashing!!!!!!!

kansas will never be good again. All the elite players are going to east coast teams.

It's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2)missouricat(anonymous) says…

Looks like all the talking heads are saying that Baylor will win tonight easy as KU will fold and choke again like they did the other night. This could be the final touch to KU's run on the big 12 title and it looks like the final to the recruiting that Self has suffered the last 4 years. As the recruiting analyst have said prior to the start of this season that KU has fallen off the map on recruiting the top players and that the other teams such as Missouri and Baylor have taken over the spot. Baylor and Missouri are getting the top notch players and that no one is interested in KU as once was. What is wrong with Self. Dickey V. and Lunarni said the other day that KU is not the team it once was and is not very good. It is sad that KU has let this program slip this bad with Self as a coach.

3)missouricat(anonymous) says…

I will be watching if I get home in time from my meeting with my employees. Ku will not like this game at all, sorry to have to say that.

Thanks a lot for the bulletin board material!

Sincerely,

Scott Drew

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

MizzouBest.......we're wwaaiittiinngg.........

Ben Kane 2 years, 2 months ago

haven't been on here much lately, but having been a hater of late, i just wanted to give some props to returnof3han who in both of the last two games has hit some clutch 3's.

he's also made some big plays that don't involve hitting a 3.

that being said, all i can say about Withey is... WOW!

if someone had told me he'd score that many points i'd have laughed at them so hard i'd have split my gut.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 2 months ago

Where's all the Missouri trolls? Or are they hiding under a rock, like in that Geico commercial?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Did Cody Zeller have the all-time worst minute in this season's NCAA reg. season play or what!!??

• missed two free throws, either one probably ices game
  • somehow accidently tips in an opponents three point shot for two points that was not going to even be close to the rim
  • at 7'-0", fails to face guard a much shorter hot three point shooter and lets the buzzer beater trifecta winner fly over his hands.
  • the good news was that North Carolina lost; the bad news is that it was Duke that beat them!!!

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts...

Withey's free throw improvement is the best I've ever seen.

Withey's hands are getting noticeably softer/better.

I hope EJ breaks out of this mental slump.

Conner got his against a similar talent-Brady Heslip. Good for him, but not too impressed especially because he can't get a shot off unless he has 10 feet of space.

Travis isn't Travis, but we know why.

I see Bill is having EJ bring the ball up. That is great, but Tyshawn is still running on fumes in the last 2-3 minutes. It cost the Missouri game. It allowed a mini run in the last 3 minutes last night. This is gonna be deadly in the tournament.

Gotta figure out how to get Ty some rest.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

LeBryan Nash (Okie State): Maybe you should have thought about all that before you went and played for Okie State. It really hasn't gotten any better for his team since he made these quotes.

“Yessir,” he said Saturday after scoring a team-best 20 points in the 74-68 loss to Pitt. “That’s why I went to this school because I love these players, I love the coaching staff and I really want to win at this school.

“I really don’t want to be a guy that’s not known on the campus by winning. I want to be a winner. I want to win Big 12 championships. I want to win a national championship. I’m going to fight every day, fight hard every time I step on that court for this team because they do the same thing for us.

“And you’re going to see a guy that works hard every day from now on. I really think that we can win games. I really think we can do stuff this year. We got all the guys we need. We got shooters, we got scorers, we got defensive players. We just gotta come together and accept our leader and our team captain Keiton Page, and listen to him.”

MorganR 2 years, 2 months ago

This was an amazing game. My son said he would be surprised if there was ever a 32-4 scoring difference between 2 top 10 teams. Messrs. Withey, Robinson, Taylor, Tehan, Releford and the other Jayhawks all played so well on defense and offense. Congratulatons to the players and coaches.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

The future in freeze frame: T-Rob leaps, lobs, Withey slams! Rawk!

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Gary Bedore, you or your editor have produced a fine title for this article.

Brandon Pope 2 years, 2 months ago

The most encouraging thing I saw during that game? T-Rob seemed to figure out how to pass to Withey out of the double/triple team. Up to this point he has gotten the quick out pass to the near side guard, and VERY occasionally the cross court pass to the far side shooter.

If he has figured out the how to drop it off to Withey on the opposite block teams had better watch out. We will get layup after layup after layup. Then, the double team will be a little weaker and will disperse quicker and T-Rob can take over himself. I have been waiting all year to watch those two pass the ball to one another.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Okie State has pulled some upsets on their home court. Gotta spit shine and buff the boots for their Saturday invasion. Who's gonna pop loose and rise to the next occasion for Hawk to Rawk?

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

HA! For the Jayhawks, this week's Battle at The Paige is a win/win situation. Bears lose, and Drew's legions are belly up in jb's Canal, floundering with Hoiberg's Cyclones for a distant 3rd in the league. Tigers lose, bye-bye Slavers.... Yeee-Haw!

Justin Lindsley 2 years, 2 months ago

EJ and releford need to start scoring a little more. EJ needs to quit chucking 3's and drive to the hole. He reminds me of Giddens right now. Giddens was a tremendous athelete just like EJ. He would never put the ball on the floor either. Come on EJ!! we need you show us what you've got!

champs528808 2 years, 2 months ago

Simply put, EJ is not a stand-still jump shooter. His flow is so much better when he comes into his shot off the dribble.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Tiger trolls are postponing sleep, laboring in the wee hours to design t-shirts for their Saturday game vs. the Bears.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 2 months ago

An extra year in the weight room which will help him gain about 15 lbs will be benefical in addition to an extra year of coaching from Danny Manning, That should propel him to the first round fro next year. National championship wouldn't hurt either.

Go Jayhawkers!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Who wins Baylor/Mizzou on Saturday? Revenge game for Baylor after losing to Mizzou already by a point (88-89). After that performance though, I have to give the edge to Mizzou.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you all hear that? I'm ringing that cattle bell! Where are those Missouri trolls when you need them the most?

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Question: Who has more potential......T-Rob or P Jones III?

Who do you take higher in the draft......T-Rob or P Jones III?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe the team and Withey will now shift their focus over to EJ and get this "Funk" or whatever he's got going on out of his system.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

1] Have any of you seen such a disparity between a wealth of talent and a lack of coaching simultaneously on Baylor, just this side of UK??!!

2] Can you image what HCBS and staff could have done with that roster!!??

3] He might have had the second undefeated team since Bobby's Indy team in '76.

4] Thank God, Scott Drew is such a tool!!!

5] Baylor hardly loses to anyone except KU, who just dominates them!!!!

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 2 months ago

“It’s probably about as good offensively as we’ve had a big man play here (in Self’s nine seasons at KU)."

Is it just me or does Bill Self like to use supelatives like this a lot (i.e. Sherron is toughest guard he ever coached, Mc Morris is most versatile forward he ever coached, etc.).

Usually I don't necessarily disagree with him, but what about TRob's 30/20 game vs. North Dakota? Or even some of his other great games he's been having all season? Maybe TRob is not classified as a "big man"? But even so, what about Sasha Kaun's game against Davidson in the 2008 elite eight?

NH_JHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

That was a statement game. For the doubters who still weren't convinced, we just put them and the rest of our league (the nation too) on notice that the Big 12 conference title still runs through Lawrence, KS. Yes, "we've been here before." Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow.

I have no idea what to think any more......

It's not often that we have a team that can literally beat anybody in the country, or lose to anybody in the country. In the same game.

I read PVJayhawk's prediction about Jeff Withey earlier, and I'm right there with ya. I've said all season that Withey's play makes or breaks this team and I think the last two games have shown that.

As far as Tyshawn goes - I've never seen a KU player that, in a 10 second span I can want to punch him in the face (I don't condone violence, but I sure feel that way from the couch sometimes) and then after some crazy-azz play he makes that defies the laws of gravity, I want to kiss him on the lips. (well..... you know)

Great, great win. Don't let up. Maybe Coach should play the Missouri tape before every game the rest of the year.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Good news: Jeff went macro against some good competition that plays a little softer style and is a little less muscle bound, and has an experience level nearer his than he saw in Fizzouri.

Bad news: The picture above confirms what pics at MU suggested. He has lost muscle mass and definition from whatever sickness he had.

Good news: Elijah has become a defensive specialist on the order of Russell Robinson.

Bad News: The Prophet's trey gun is still jammed. Note: board rats need to stop asking for him to get to the rim. It might be good for his personal game, and Self may have him do it, against a lesser team, to juice him up. But with Withey and TRob inside and TT out side to drive, anyone else driving just collapses the D.

Good news: Travis got a much needed back down in minutes, after the nearly super human stretch of Top Gun defense he has had to play with a bum Michelin.

Bad News: He can't order new rubber till the off season.

Good News: Conner quietly came out of his slump against the kind of team we needed him to--a Syracuse lite zone, and got 3 glass vacs.

Bad News: We still need to see him show he can muscle more in a speed game to offset his lesser speed (Conner has to start using his football roots and cheap shotting some speed merchants and muscle ballers, so they know if they are scoring against him it is going to lead to pain--its not his nature, but this is The Canal and we have to have him more effective against the long and athletics. Cheap shotting and shoving on defense are the coins of the realm for CT on defense from here on out. Lace curtain after season. Pig poop the rest of the way. Conner has to become not just a gunner, but the guy opponents dread, because he is willing to take punch to rough them up out of their games.

Good news: Everything about TT and TRob right now.

Bad news: Good as TT and TRob have become, they still have to prove they can stay poised, when things go wrong at the end.

End Note: The win in Waco goes down as one of the very big ones. Self is grooming a team of 35 Minute men. We are looking at a team being played into XTReme Condition, like Shaka Smarts VCU team last season. If we can avoid injuries, look out!

hotrodm 2 years, 2 months ago

WOW! What a game from Withey. I expect the same from Jeff in the rematch with MIZZOO. Jeff will get his payback on the 25th. Go Jayhawks, stay focused and run the table in your remaining Big 12 games. Big 12 Champs !

aerohawk 2 years, 2 months ago

9-11 from the charity line. That is very nice. We need to be able to count on free throws going in and it seems like a lot of times the big guys can't hit them. Withey can.

jchief40 2 years, 2 months ago

EJ is doing a good job on the defensive side of the ball. He's part of the reason our defense is top 10 (top 5?). But he just stinks from behind the arc this year.

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

Lost in all the Withey love-fest, I gotta give props to Tyshawn. I've been one of his bigger doubters (NOT haters, btw), and while there are still things in his game that concern me, he is on an unbelievable scoring streak. Nine games in a row with 15 points or more, and in all but two of those he has shot over 50% (was one made shot away from 50% in the other two), so it's not as if he needs a high volume number of shots to get those points. Loved how Fran Frischilla brought up the Cousy snub. Hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder the rest of the year.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 2 months ago

astounding effort from big fella. if he can catch like he did tonight, oh boy.. we should fear no more. hopefully his teammates can throw passes he can catch, as well. what we want to see more is lob passes after pick-n-roll. that's next. i love this team! kudos to great coaching staff, too. they can develop players to their fullest in a blink of an eye. that says a lot about KU basketball. rock chalk!!

JManTheChamp 2 years, 2 months ago

Jeff Withey taking advantage of 27 NBA scouts and 17 NBA teams that were there at the game watching T Rob and few Baylor players.

Is Jeff Withey good enough to make NBA roster after his senior year?

Hank Cross 2 years, 2 months ago

A great win. I don't know when I've seen KU so poised on the road down to a good team. This team has a lot of heart. Baylor, not so much. After Baylor's earlier loss I said that neither they nor MU would end up in the top 10. Feeling good about the Baylor prediction and think MU will cough up another loss or two.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 2 months ago

Each year, it's a certain guy's "time". Last year, it was the twins. This year, it's T-Rob. Next year, it'll be Withey. Next year, I'm predicting All-American honors for Withey, and a mid to late first round draft pick. Just watch.

nighthawking 2 years, 2 months ago

Great game Hawks. I am so ready to see this team in the tournament in March. Would love to be a 1 seed but am not sure if we will get there.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Congrats to TW. Great game. Still think Jeff has a good chance of a triple double before he graduates.

That said, I think this game exemplified perfectly why TRob should be this season's national POY. Just think of some of the other major contenders (Sullinger, Davis and McDermott) for POY. Each of the others have four or more teammates who create mismatch problems for their opponents. Watching some of the Duke vs N. Carolina game afterwards, N. Carolina's Zeller and Duke's centers were rarely double teamed. Against Baylor, TRob was their major focus, leaving Withey almost uncontested during TRob's time on the court. When a player is hacked and fouled, double and triple teamed as much as TRob has been all season, one has to wonder what some of his stats might be if some of the pressure were applied to his teammates instead?

I hope that Withey, as well as his fellow Jayhawks, continues to help take some of that pressure off of Thomas.

And, Nice game Jayhawks!! RCJHGKU, all the way to the Big 12 Championship.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

More than a year ago I predicted-to the derision of all-that Withey would be a force some day. I believe I have now been proven correct.

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess it's EJ's turn the next few days in practice to have guys screaming at him and punching his chest. Great game, great win, but come on EJ. This team needs him to be a threat to score to take us to the next level.

Maybe Travis shouldn't get a little bit of the treatment as well. Heck maybe more so, seeing how's we've seen him go off for 20+ this year a couple times.

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 2 months ago

I've never had a bigger man-crush on a coach in my life.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 2 months ago

WOW!! Great Game Hawks!!

I know it hurt to drop that final game in Mizzou, but I agree with HCBS, I liked what I saw there in terms of overall effort and teamwork. Not many brainfarts, except right at the end, and you had a little help there...

But the way you stepped it up tonight was OUTSTANDING!!!. TRob sits with 2 fouls, 5:20 in the first half, and you respond by going on a run for the rest of the game!! Held a clinic on Baylor and made all those McD AA's look like they needed some fries!!

BILL SELF FOR COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

WOO HOO!!!