Monday, February 6, 2012

KU’s Bill Self: ‘We’ve been here before’

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson lets out a yell of frustration after a missed bucket and an offensive foul by the Jayhawks during the first half against Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at Mizzou Arena.

Losses on successive Saturdays — combined with winning streaks of Baylor (four games) and Missouri (three) — have dropped Kansas University’s basketball team into a three-way tie for first place in the Big 12 Conference.

“It’s not good with the conference situation — the race. Still, we’ve been here before,” said KU coach Bill Self, whose Jayhawks have scratched and clawed their way to seven consecutive league crowns.

The Jayhawks, who fell to Iowa State, 72-64, on Jan. 28 in Ames, and Missouri, 74-71, on Saturday in Columbia, travel to Baylor on Wednesday for a 6 p.m. tipoff in Ferrell Center. The Bears, like the Jayhawks, take an 8-2 league mark into that showdown.

Baylor (21-2, 8-2) has games remaining at Missouri, Texas and Iowa State and at home versus KU, ISU, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

KU (18-5, 8-2) still must play at BU, Kansas State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State and at home against OSU, Texas Tech, Missouri and Texas.

MU (21-2, 8-2) travels to Oklahoma, Texas A&M, KU and Texas Tech, with home games against Baylor, Oklahoma State, K-State and Iowa State.

Surprising Iowa State (17-6, 7-3) plays at Oklahoma State, Baylor, K-State and Missouri and has home games left versus A&M, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Baylor.

Kansas State currently sits alone in fifth place at 5-5, followed by Texas and OSU (4-6), OU and A&M (3-7) and Tech (0-10).

“One thing that should give us confidence,” Self said, “is we know when we play a certain way, inside/out, we are pretty good, because Missouri has a terrific team. They are well-coached, can score from all spots. This was our game to win. We leave here (Columbia) disappointed, but also knowing we’ve got a good team.”

KU, which has gone a nation’s-best 227 games without consecutive losses, will face an ultra-talented Baylor team that was blitzed by KU, 92-74, on Jan. 16 in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We’ve got to bounce back Wednesday,” KU senior guard Tyshawn Taylor said. “We’ve lost two tough road games. We get another opportunity to play another good team on the road.”

The date of the Missouri rematch will be Saturday, Feb. 25, in Allen Fieldhouse. That game will be a 3 p.m. start on CBS.

“You can’t dwell on this too long. We’re going to Baylor Wednesday,” KU junior center Jeff Withey said. “We know we’ll play them (Tigers) again, maybe twice — our place and the Big 12 Tournament.”

Ellis closing in on mark: Kansas University signee Perry Ellis, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from Wichita Heights, is now just 38 points from becoming the No. 1 scorer in Wichita City League history. Former KU center Greg Dreiling of Wichita Kapaun scored 1,963 points.

Ellis’ next game is Tuesday at Wichita West. Heights has won 57 consecutive games.

Ellis, who is averaging 25 points a game off just 13 shots per outing, is expected to be invited to the McDonald’s All-America game in coming weeks. A recent Wichita Eagle article listed Ellis as possibly the greatest player in City League history, joining the conversation with Dreiling, Darnell Valentine, Antoine Carr, Ricky Ross and Aubrey Sherrod. Other City League standouts include Taj Gray, Korleone Young and Adrian Griffin.

Frankamp hits for 47: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp scored 47 points in Wichita North’s 69-66 victory over Wichita East on Friday in North’s gym. Frankamp hit 13 of 21 shots. At one point, he iced seven straight three-pointers. Frankamp, a junior, moved into fifth place on the Wichita City League career scoring list with 1,476 points. Frankamp has topped the 40-point mark in four games this season.

Sampson to visit: Jakarr Sampson, a 6-8, 220-pound senior forward from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, will attend the KU-Missouri game as part of an official recruiting visit, according to Rivals.com. He has a list of KU, Baylor, Pitt, Louisville and St. John’s.

Marcus in D-League again: Houston Rockets first-round draft pick Marcus Morris, who practiced Thursday for the first time since suffering a severely sprained ankle on Jan. 12, is back with the NBA Development League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

“He hasn’t been able to practice for two weeks with a sprained ankle and we go on a two-week road trip and he needs to go down there and play and get some conditioning,” Rockets’coach Kevin McHale told the Houston Chronicle.

A reporter asked McHale if he’d “gotten feedback from Marcus that he’s not happy about it?”

“No. I just assume that if they tell you what to do, you do it. Maybe I’m just stupid,” McHale said. “I forgot to ask him that, but I will next time.

“The D-League is a place for guys to go down and play and get in good shape. That’s where Marcus needs to be right now. We’re going on a long road trip. For him to go on a road trip with hardly any practice time it is going to be very difficult for him to improve and all these young guys do need to improve.”

Comments

manginorh00lz 2 years, 10 months ago

It's ok. KU is only 1/2 game back in the REAL standings.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

Humanoid is like human. Manginoid is like manginorh00z.

Come, come, Manginoid, post substantially.

You can do it, if you try. :-)

jaybate waits.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

e.g. "Keep Manginorh00lz's anti-Semitism off this site."

Is that how I am supposed to do it? :-)

I am still studying the way you link an alias to a smear.

Help me with this.

Each time you smear me, I will try to emulate you so I can get better.

Okay?

Let's continue.

manginodrh00lz 2 years, 10 months ago

You just got Manginoed! That just happened - shake and bake!

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

manginodrh00lz just got Manginoided.

Manginoid is like Manginordrh00lz!

Oh, this is such fun.

Yawn.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm starting the Frankamp fan club right now. (assuming he doesn't defend like Teahan)

honk_for_hawks 2 years, 10 months ago

haven't gotten a chance to see him in a real game, but i have seen a few pickup games with him at the ymca and he's waaaaaaaay faster than teahan so he should at least be able to become a good defender if he isn't one now

bradynsdad 2 years, 10 months ago

I ran into him about two weeks ago. He is only about morningstars size. 6' maybe 170. No he doesn't play defense. Hopefully he will figure that out in the next two years. A very pure shooter though. He is perfect for selfs inside out game as long as he can learn to defend.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 10 months ago

Brady was listed at 6' 4", though that might be closer to 6' 2"-3" in basketball terms.

milehighhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

That's Boschee size, not Brady size. Brady had decent size.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't care if they tie his hands behind his back on defense. We need somebody that has the ability and desire to shoot clutch threes.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

^^ This. Self will teach him how to defend. You can't teach clutch shooting. You either have it (Chalmers) or you don't.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Chalmers is exactly who I had in mind. Hence the "desire"! lol

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Well said. That's exactly what was lacking with EJ on Saturday. Self ran the exact "Chalmers" play from the national championship at the end of the game v. mizzou, but it was clear that EJ did not want to take the shot. He had the opening for about one full second, but hesitated. When you have that desire, you never hesitate. You just pop.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I know! But are you sure it was only one second? It SEEMED like 10 !! I looked at my wife like "What the **** is he waiting for ???"

I don't want us to live or die by the 3, but man - a sharpshooter can make such a difference ( see English and Denmon.....)

Well, I guess we're 18-5 and ranked 7 or 10, depending on which poll you look at, so if this is a "down" year for KU - so be it. I just hope we learn how to keep big leads and close out games.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 10 months ago

He has the desire he just lacks the confidence.

JacquesMerde 2 years, 10 months ago

Or shoot like he has been shooting of late. If you want a measure of how strapped Bill Self is for players, note the playing time of Teahan.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Dude, I've been a long standing member. Can't tell you how excited I am to see this kid come in and play..... just wish I didn't have to wait a YEAR AND A FREAKIN' HALF. Think of how good this rebuilding team would be this year if we had just ONE guy who could regularly knock down shots from the outside....

hawk316 2 years, 10 months ago

Although Taylor has had quite an impressive season shooting from the outside. The great improvement in this part of his game has been a very pleasant surprise.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Definitely agree, and I did think of that when I posted the above, but even he has been inconsistent. And he's not really a true three point shooter. His % has been high because he has chosen the right times to shoot. But if we just had that pure outside shooter... man, this team would be impressive.... more so than they already are in a "rebuilding year."

jayhawker_97 2 years, 10 months ago

this season is a tough one with the rotation & ranks in big12. we played good teams and have a chance to play 2/3 times against them. our team is one of those good ones, have and almost beaten some of them. i'm very confident with our team right now. they are getting better & well prepared for hard-fought battles. especially the starters - look at those minutes of playing time. although i can't say much about the bench, they can be more productive sometimes. let's get some more W's!! r o c k chalk!!

Matt Bowers 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree but have other concerns for this team. One, what was our best free-throw shooter doing on the bench at the end of the game? Second, TRob didn't touch the ball on our last two possessions and he was a beast under the rim. I'm not bashing TT, but he is not Chalmers or Collins, it is not his role to take the team on his shoulders. Its little things like that, that make me wonder about this team and if every situation has been thought through and practiced. I still love this team, the way the season is unfolding and am looking forward to a quality road win at Baylor.

Rock Chalk

Chad Hallack 2 years, 10 months ago

There are a lot of KU people blaming the refs for costing us the game, especially after this video http://www.twitvid.com/SF3OZ surfaced today of mizzou AD Michael Alden. I still say you can only blame yourself for blowing an 8 point lead with 2 minutes to go.

I had a debate online last night and continuing today with a KU player and a handful of others close to the program as well as many fans. I took the stance that we blew a huge lead. If we had made one stop or converted on 1 possession the last 2 minutes, we win the game and can only blame ourselves.

I said that I thought the officials were pretty poor overall but there were blown calls both ways and pointed to the horrible goal tending call that went against mizzou and you could say we should have lost by 5. I said that crying about the refs under the circumstances we lost under made us look silly and we should quit it... but people persisted. It led me to look into it a little deeper. Here's what I found.

These were the officials from the game. Listed with the highest number of games they have officiated for any conference and the number of Big 12 games they have called in their careers.

Don Daily - 98 Missouri Valley - 38 Big XII

Rod Dixon - 42 Southland Conference - 7 Big XII

Doug Sirmons - 158 SEC - 14 Big XII

Fouls - slavers 10 KU 20 Freethrows - slavers 20 KU 9

Forget about the "fixed" conspiracy for a minute... Who schedules the officials in these games? Is it the Big XII or the home school? Either way... it looks really bad. If you have the biggest game in the country with two top 10 ranked teams for first place in your conference between two hated rivals for possibly the final time in Columbia... wouldn't you schedule the best rated and most experienced Big XII refs that you possibly could? I would.

So who picks the refs? I can't believe they would let either of the schools pick the refs... that's out--of-control idiotic. Yet why on God's green earth wouldn't the Big XII put primarily Big XII officials in this game and wouldn't a prominent SEC official be avoided like the plague? If mizzou AD Michael Alden scheduled those refs it's a huge scandal! If the Big XII scheduled them it's an epic fail beyond measure...

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

First, the reply showed the goaltending call was correct. The ball was coming down.

Second, you can debate yourself into oblivion. But the charge call on TRob took two KU points off the board. And the foul call on TRob just before that, where the MU player jumped into him as he was dead set on the floor, added one. That is a three point swing. Ballgame.

I don't think there was any fix. Just typically officiating incompetence. And it goes both ways. It is just as likely to happen in our favor at AFH.

It is easy to say "quit crying about the refs." But the refs have the ability to change games. And when bad calls occur late in the game, there is much less opportunity for events to change the course of the game. The calls were critical, and a display of incomptence as opposed to bias. Refs get a bit caught up in the crowd, and some, want to be the show .. they think they have to be seen. Some actually believe that they are as big a part of the game as the players.

Dan Harris 2 years, 10 months ago

actually it was a 5 pt swing. T-Rob's bucket taking away and his bogus foul call resulted in an and 1.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

The bucket would have counted anyway on the and 1, right?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 10 months ago

Not to forget were at least three plays where KU players got driven (not quite tackled) to the floor resulting in a losses of possession. In a game where every possession counts, those were huge as well.

Hallacek is right in some respects, over the course of 40 minute game lots of things happen that help lead to a win or loss. We made our share of mistakes.

jaybate 2 years, 10 months ago

I do not think a fix occurred either.

But I have a question.

What would have had to have occurred in the KU MU game to make you think fixing had occurred?

The line was KU +2.5.

Sagarin's Power Ratings for KU (91.91) and MU (90.something) suggested a close one.

Players reputedly typically point shave with defensive misplays.

Most of the way, the game was just as tight as the line and Sagarin would have lead fans to expect it to be.

But then two remarkable things happened late in the game.

First, KU started playing to its strengths the way most would have expected them to play all game and in doing so squirted suddenly to an 8 point lead.

Second, just as suddenly, KU's two top players seemed to become deeply confused and made enough bad plays and missed free throws almost by themselves to lose by 3.

Again, I am stipulating there was no fix.

What I am asking is: what would have had to have happened at the end to make you and others think that a fix had occurred?

It is an interesting hypothetical.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

It is an interesting hypothetical. I would expect the entire game to lead to the fix, not just the last few minutes. Both if players were responsible, or officials. If I fix is in, you can't screw it up.

I would never expect us to have ever gotten an 8 point lead if the fix were in for MU. That would be too hard to control. Pretty much everything that needed to go wrong went wrong.

If I were looking for "fixer", I'd look for someone making inexplicable turnovers, missing shots, and getting beat on D when he shouldn't.

I have always felt it's more likely that a college ref is throwing the game, rather than a player. Really, particularly in football, where the over/under is in play, too. Controlling the over/under seems easier than the score differential. And that the Vegas line is one thing. Guido's line is another. You never know what a smaller time bookie is offering as a game line, and how a ref might be involved.

I just think in the landscape of college sports, there have to be a number of crooked refs .. the money enticement is too large for it not to be occurring, given the other risks that folks take for money.

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

KU had three possessions taken away by Don Daily in the final three minutes and points taken off the board. Nonbiased Vitale and Gotlieb say KU got hosed. That's good enough for me.

Somehow Vitale and Gotlieb's opinion mean more than MU fans.

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

On the 2nd charge call on TROB, which the announcers did say they thought was bad, Thomas moved his shoulder slightly into the already falling player (a little acting going on). I think what appeared to be deliberately moving into him is what brought on the charge call. I think it highly questionable the MU player was actually set.

Not sure about the first one on him.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Don Daily is the worst ref on ever and he lives in missouri. nuf said.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Were those Ben Franklin's passing from the AD's hands to the zeebra's?

Hey, a quick passing handshake is one thing, but smiles and embrace is another. Wow, just wow.

justinesmydog 2 years, 10 months ago

It's the right place for the AD to be.

The last time KU lost on the road a ref needed a surgeon after being rescued from the crowd. The home AD should ensure the refs and visiting team get off the court.

The refs were dorked up for certain, but the Mizery administrative staff did a great job of ensuring a crazy situation didn't get out of hand both before the game and after.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not saying the AD shouldn't be there. Glad he was, as well as event security. But smiles and near high fives from the ref's does make you wonder.

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

So, HEM did a pretty excellent job of countering your post, but I like to hear myself talk (or in this case, read my own writing), so I have to chime in.

You said:

"If we had made one stop or converted on 1 possession the last 2 minutes, we win the game and can only blame ourselves."

However, my problem with this reasoning is simple--KU did convert on "one possession". And, called correctly, KU would have been up 10 (or 11 if the ref had called the block on Moore for flopping to the ground) with just over two minutes to play. Calling that ONE PLAY correctly eliminates the need for the refs to make the correct call on at least two plays that happened AFTER that play. One where Tyshawn "turned over" the ball (while being ridden to the ground by an overly-zealous MU defender), and another where Tyshawn "charged" (in spite of his defender committing too far on the drive, and only being able to draw contact by leaning BACK into Taylor as he went up for the shot)

Your reasoning requires that you omit those incorrectly called plays from the list of plays from which KU simply needed to convert "one possession".

Honestly, the fact that MU hit those huge shots when they needed to is that much more annoying, because it gives people the impression that MU "won" the game and helps people remain in denial about just how big a role the refs played. Unfortunately, the ONLY reason MU's shots were "big shots" instead of just "shots" is due to the officials.

I don't think there was any "fix", although that video does make me think twice about that... I think the refs--as HEM noted--were just caught up in the moment and feeding off the crowd. Unfortunately, they are paid to block the crowd out.

kureader 2 years, 10 months ago

Don Daily was the second ref in the video, giving Alden the warmest greeting and saying something to Alden. The other refs politely shook hands and kept moving.

No one knows that Daily is crooked. But when a ref takes three hops, a skip, a jump and proudly throws his arm in the direction of the home team's basket, he's PARTICIPATING in the game not officiating. Daily managed to do this three times in just 3 minutes.

KU will win in Allen Field House by 10+ points.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Man, we got some sensitive fans about the officiating. That video tells me absolutely nothing! Good Grief!

Also, there were definitely some debatable calls during that game, espeially the T-Rob play, because it could be debated either way by rule. If you're asking me, as an official, I give the Player of the Year candidate benefit of the doubt because he spun away and tried to avoid the contact. It was a "Big Play"! Huge!

With that said, there was no foul on TT losing the ball when he tried to dribble between traffic and the TT charge was without a doubt a charge because he initiated the contact.

The problem is that the T-Rob play magnifies those two incidents and "Fans" want to place blame in a direction of other plays after that T-Rob play that also went negatively.

However, nobody mentions that TT was fouled on his dunk and in the first half T-Rob was definitely bumped by English on his Tomahawk dunk that were no calls! Unfortunately, that's part of the game, but there are too many other situations and incidents that could have turned the game so the TT turnover and TT charge at the end of the game only compounded the bias KU Fans have towards their team.

There isn't anything wrong with that video!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

You can always say that about every game .. so I'm sorry, that sort of analysis lacks any real credibility when comes to looking at this. You sound like an official.

Ask yourself this question .. if the charge on TRob is no called, we get 2 points. Game is over, right?

Sure, lightning can strike .. but it's over. One call. Ballgame.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm agreeing with you HEM! I thought the T-Rob foul was a block and with that being said it was "Huge Play" that did dictate the game.

With that said, I thought the TT play was a charge and the official made a good call. Doesn't help the situation which kind of adds salt to the wound, but there were numerous plays throughout the game that could have been "And 1's" where KU didn't get the benefit.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 10 months ago

We've been here before - and continued to win games and championships.

It starts by taking care of buisness on the road on Wednesday. Will this be the start of the Baylor Stumble?

hathead 2 years, 10 months ago

But that's just it. This KU team can't get quality wins on the road, or even on a neutral court.

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

This team did beat a Georgetown team in Hawaii that is currently ranked 11/12.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I really hope we blow Mizzou out by about 30 in AFH and keep our starters in till the last minute. Better yet, I hope Teahen and Taylor are jacking up 3s until the time expires.

Most rivalries are fun but this one is not... Mizzou is garbage.

Can't wait to eat them at AFH Can't wait to watch their football team crumble in the SEC *Can't wait to watch Mike Anderson's boys beat them in basketball next year.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Beat them at AFH (I do not support the eating of Mizzou basketball players)

andrewbary 2 years, 10 months ago

OM NOM!!! Tiger Filet with Wildcat Stew... breakfast of Jayhawk Champions!!!!!!

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

Guys will miss calls here and there. Both charge calls were close. I tend to agree with the one onTRob, though the guy clearly flopped and made it look even worse than the contact was. The one on Tyshawn I disagree with. Still, individual calls can and will be missed. What bothers me is that we've played 3 straight road halves where we didn't even shoot a 1 and 1 free throw. Never have I seen that sort of lopsided road / home officiating. It tells me Big 12 refs are catering to home teams to an extreme, perhaps wanting the adulation of the crowd. We've got guys hammering on TRob every possession, like there's no tomorrow, yet we can't even gather 7 team fouls on the opponents? Self needs to be working the Big 12 director of officials over this issue, to help assure the trend stops.

Anyone blaming Tyshawn for the loss is just plain wrong. If Tyshawn doesn't suit up for that game, we lose by 20.

oldrocker 2 years, 10 months ago

Tyshawn had a great game until the last 2 minutes...then he went "brain dead" (Self's words). Even without making those 2 free throws, (which you expect your Sr. point guard to do) if he would have taken care of the ball, we would have won.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

We are who we are...and that's a top 25 team, tied for first place in our league playing with essentially only five, true Division One players on our roster.

The bench is filled with guys who have potential and try their best, but, in reality, would be much further down the rotation if BenMac and Jamari were available.

To assume we would get any refereeing breaks in Columbia would not be facing reality.

I am afraid that it will be very difficult to go to Baylor, A&M, Okie State and KState and not lose more than one game. But remember, this season is a journey with the true goal in March. Anything is possible...but 67 of 68 teams fall short. Not great odds.

Still, keep the faith and keep sending positive energy towards Lawrence!!! Rock Chalk!!!

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

I wasn't assuming any refereeing breaks, but I was hoping it would have been called fair. To me that's not catching a break. And while I certainly wasn't expecting this to be the case, someone said either during the in-game chat or the post-game discussion: shouldn't it be an unwritten rule that the school leaving the conference gets jobbed by the refs?

As for your statement about the true goal being in March, honestly I put that out of mind at the start of the season. Like '09. Part of me wonders if Bill Self hasn't also. Not that he's given up on that, but rather that he is playing this season as being "all in" on another conference championship, rather than a "campaign to the tournament" as KULA has termed it. This is a rare case where I wouldn't disagree with that approach.

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

Well said. The road games are tough this year, at OK State is no "gimmee," as Missouri knows and Baylor almost found out.

While no one likes losing at Missouri, especially when we should have had it, we did lose to a Top 5 team on their home court. It is going to be just as tough at Baylor.

We have a very good team with a short bench, and I am very pleased that we have done as well as we have so far with so many players lost or ineligible.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 10 months ago

Disagree on Jamari Traylor. He was a 3 star ranked in the 100s. Most freshman big men ranked that low can't come in and play right away. The fact that he is consistently described as "raw" backs that up. I think Ben would play over Teahan and make us a more dynamic team, but I see Young and Wesley still playing this season with or without Traylor.

Mick Allen 2 years, 10 months ago

I have had the good fortune to be able to attend some KU ball practices and I can guarantee you that Traylor would be getting more playing time than either Young or Wesley. He is tireless and extremely aggressive on the boards. A very physical defender. Limited range offensively, with no real go to moves inside. Obviously his offensive game needs the most work. Strength wise he is T Rob minus about 25lbs. He is a Coach Self type of hard nosed player. Ben is a stone cold scorer with an unlimited range. His "handles" need to improve as well as his commitment to playing defense. He can fill it up though and would be getting significant minutes were he eligible.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 10 months ago

This is the insightful post I am always looking for but seldom see. I have been really interested in the practices and how these two are shaping up. Thanks for the comment.

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

Well said Oak, very well said. Four trophies remain: 1. Conf. Title, 2. Post Season Tourney, 3. Final Four and 4. NCAA Champs. Long odds sure, yet we aren't out of these goals yet. Games to play and enjoy. . Celebrate the journey. Take the Tommy Lasorda advice, have a bad 5th inning yet win the game, then you had a good day. One tough loss in Columbia doesn't define our season while it might make theirs, they don't define who we are. We are Kansas.

Steve Brown 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe change of pace we wear our road 'reds' to Waco or Manhattan, just a thought, change the shoes too. On a serious note, no more haircuts for Teehan, Whithey, Sampson. Really, what are you thinking....

Hail_To_Thee 2 years, 10 months ago

ROFl.

Some teams celebrate championships on their apparel.

MU celebrates regular season victories on their apparel.

That just proves that even they know they are an inferior program.

Gurantee if we won that game, those shirts wouldn't even be advertised.

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

Who creates a T-Shirt to celebrate a win over a lower-ranked team?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, the tradition started with Quantrill making t-shirts for his raiders for their victory over un-armed men, women and children

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

Many people might be surprised to learn where their ancestors' loyalty was in that conflict. Many long time resident Kansas families came West after the Civil War, and guess where most came from?

Just sayin' !

ku_foaf 2 years, 10 months ago

They have not been relevant in competing for a championship in 18 years! Beating us (usually the champion in that period, 13 of 18 years) is all they have!

"It ain't nothin' for us to whup Missouri's ###. You mighta heard of us." -Leroy Mercer

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm hoping Withey & Robinson can learn to truly complement each other down low. The day that happens; this team will be nearly unstoppable. They are not playing together down low. It's crucial that they do.

On a similar note, I think if our Guards would have continued feeding the beasts the entire 40 minutes, that game Saturday would have been a blow out.

I'm praying for a let down game tonight when Mizzou goes to OU.

I think KU can afford one more loss (and not to Baylor) and still come away with the title outright.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 10 months ago

In the Super Bowl, did anyone else notice that Wes Welker had a Tyshawn Taylor game? Makes numerous plays to keep the team in it and in position to win, but fails to make the biggest play that could have impacted the outcome.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

I get what your saying--just don't agree with your assessment. Tyshawn has been playing very well as of late, minus a few bonehead plays. The difference is that Tyshawn has the ball in his possession and loses it under the most ordinary circumstances. That would have been a highlight reel catch if Welker pulled that down. It was a very catchable ball, but not like it was a gimme. Slightly overthrown by Brady.

bad_dog 2 years, 10 months ago

Somebody have a little too much Super Bowl punch yesterday evening?

Ted Hume 2 years, 10 months ago

Looks like Frankamp will shatter Ellis' soon-to-be scoring record just next year. Sorry Perry! At least they'll be able to joke about it two years from now-

2 years, 10 months ago

Let's hope Ellis stays more than one year so that they can be teammates at KU :^)

2 years, 10 months ago

I like the sound of 2-3 years for him at KU, konkey!

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

I got to see Perry play earlier this year. Most talented incoming Freshman big man Self has recruited. I'd love to have him right now. If he stays 3 years he'll be NCAA player of the year. TRob and the Morris twins developed into top players. Perry will come in and make an immediate huge impact.

JD Roth 2 years, 10 months ago

Looks like Semi Ojeleye of Ottawa will break all the State records next year if not this year. Frank Haith watched him score 50 last Tuesday night, where was KU??

Pam Rowe 2 years, 10 months ago

make requirement of all future games with mu be played in allen fieldhouse; should satisfy haith's request for more games.

Orangedog87 2 years, 10 months ago

and refs that work in Big12 games consistently not just refs with temporary assignments

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Please, please, please someone tell me Frankamp is for real because 2 years from now with BenMac and Conner II on the floor at the same time, it will be raining threes on our opponents heads.

Super Bowl Observation;

I thought that Madonna, for a gal approaching Wilt's personal encounter record if not having already broken it [ No fair, however, 'cause she plays both sides of the street.], looked pretty good.

Favorite Commercial:

The Audi commercial with the Sandman accidently dumping a whole bucket of dream dust on this guy. How can you beat a grandstand full of Victoria Secret models in string bikinis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Game:

Who cares except that the Evil Empire gets beat again!! Hooray!!

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 10 months ago

Sadly, that "Audi" commercial was actually for KIA. Clearly their advertising dollars were well spent as you noticed the message over the actual product.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Just watch the rankings today;

1] Kansas loses by 3 to #4 Missouri there on ESPN Gameday, maybe the biggest stage Missouri basketball has been on in a decade!! 2] Duke....ranked #7.... loses at home.....to Miami...an unranked team!!

Guess which school drops out of the Top Ten..and the first two guesses don't count!!!

I hate Puke and whoever is playing Puke is my second favorite team for that night!!!

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 10 months ago

Oak,

Rankings just came out and we actually moved U P one spot to 7th.

Not that I care a whole lot about rankings, but its nice to see that those in charge of the ranking, don't just blindly penalize us for losing. To see us move up a spot shows that these pollsters actually thought about their decision in respect to Kansas.

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

KU dropped 2 spots in the Coaches Poll (8 to 10) and Duke dropped 4 spots (5 to 9). In the AP poll, KU moved up 1 spot (8 to 7) and Duke dropped 3 spots (7 to 10). Which school dropped out of the top 10?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 10 months ago

Super Bowl Observation----ditto!

Favorite Commercial----ditto!

The Game----ditto!

Dang, Oakville-----great minds think alike!

Rock Chalk!

Sally Presson 2 years, 10 months ago

No one had better blame Tyshawn, that boy played his heart out as did Thomas. I was at the game and that place was wild. Allen Field house is wild, but I'd have to say the difference is they pipe in music to make it loud, then the fans added to it made it pretty darn loud. I was pleasantly surprised how much they had their fans in control, there were KU fans around us wearing KU attire and no one game us a fit. I was very proud of our team and how hard they played. MU has a good team, but sure not better than us, the last 2 fouls were definately questionable and that's sad. I know we will get them in Lawrence, but it would have been great to get them there. It was not for the lack of trying on the hawks part. GO GETUM AT BAYLOR GUYS!!!

So proud to be a Jayhawk!!! Rock Chalk

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

Well...Tyshawn is blaming Tyshawn.

No one is questioning effort, and I get sick of hearing the argument that "without him we aren't even in the game." I agree. But you have to be able to look at thing objectively, and if you don't think 2 turnovers, a charging call (which I saw Self say on The Bill Self Show last night he thought was a good call), and two missed free throws in the last minute and a half of the game had a major impact on the outcome of the game then you're not capable of doing that (looking at it objectively).

This isn't meant to pile on him. I'm not a Tyshawn-hater. No doubt about it he was a net-positive for our team and made many big plays throughout the game. But some of the blame, not all but some, has to be lain at his feet.

shelleysue 2 years, 10 months ago

Taylor played great most of the game. However, my comment when we had a nice lead with only a couple minutes to play were, "Now would be a good time to sit Taylor on the bench". In AFH, it is going to be very very ugly for missouri.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 10 months ago

Can you use the term "boy" these days???

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Jamari and Ben, by now you both must realize that the Jayhawk Nation yearns for your talents. Please keep your heads together, commit yourselves to improvement in the dedicated manner of Thomas and the Morris twins, and show up next November as two of the most talented first year players in the land. This year's squad appears to be making steady upward strides, perhaps more than somewhat because the two of you have been involved in practice sessions since the Christmas break. You've had the opportunity to see and participate firsthand in the marvels which can be worked by the Kansas coaching/training staff, elevating bench players into bigtime Division I top ten competitors in their first years of starting action. A tremendous opportunity lies in wait for you in November. Watch, listen, practice diligently, make the most of Andrea Hudy's training facilities, maintain a clean social record and good grades. Be Prepared!

5DecadeHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Why is there no by-line for this article?

It appears to have much better writing than Keegan's.

No reason to try to hide who it is.

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

ESPN still going on about Don Daily's decisions. MU fans may want this to be forgotten but it's hard to overlook a six point swing that changes the outcome of the game.

"Of course, it's not quite that simple. Kansas was not helped by an iffy late charge call on Tyshawn Taylor that just as easily could have been a blocking foul on Michael Dixon. It resulted in two Missouri free throws and a three-point lead for KU to overcome. Even worse, that call wasn't nearly as egregious as the one against Robinson with 1:43 remaining; that easily could have been a block on Mizzou forward Steve Moore, an and-1 bucket for Robinson and a potential six-point swing, given Marcus Denmon's huge go-ahead 3 a few seconds later. Kansas fans are not at all happy about this turn of events, and they have every right to their anger."

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

Do you have a link to the article (or video) that this passage was quoted from?

I would love to read it in its entirety.

Sam Constance 2 years, 10 months ago

Thx.

I can't believe that so many MU fans are actually complaining about the officiating.

In my personal experience, when KU gets a win with the help of some suspect officiating, I enjoy the win and move on. I don't talk trash about it, and I certainly don't try to flip the script and say that it was my team that actually got the short end of the officiating stick.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

marchphog: Yes, but to your benefit, you don't think like an MU fan.

One of the things I've found entertaining about MU fans is they scream on any call against them. Like fans at Nebraska, or Texas A&M. In AFH, something goes against us that is obviously correct, there's silence. As for MU, they scream bloody murder regardless -- a word for that -- ignorant. But the obvious -- Low basketball IQs.

Alex Berger 2 years, 10 months ago

Hahaha KU went UP one in the rankings (from #8 to #7) after the loss the week.

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

Voters know what happened too. Complete BS.

Truth is we should have burned the clock and MU players deserve credit for taking advantage of Don Daily's decisions.

Weird timing for the AD to shake hands with a grinning Daily after the game.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 10 months ago

Can't wait to get pay back against the secessionists toward the end of the month.

jazzhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Not a big deal, really. I just wondered if anyone else noticed Thomas having to yell out direction to Connor about his defensive assignment late in the second half. I think they were chipping at each other on the ensuing timeout. You could see just before they cut to commercial that Danny went out past the scorer's table and pulled them both together by their jerseys. I am glad to see Danny not putting up with that stuff but also wonder if there is more than just one game frustration starting to show. That's not a good thing. Any thoughts?

bluebill 2 years, 10 months ago

Go back and watch the game again and watch where Don Daily made the call from on Thomas Robinson. He made it in front of the KU bench and had to look around 2 players. Then he steps around the 2 players to make his showboat charging gesture. Totally out of position to make that call. Baseline official had the entire play right in front of him and did not make any call. Is Daily really from Misery? Totally ridiculous and should be repremanded and ban from working anymore Big 12 games.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

That's actually his call! Center official or lead official can actually take that call, but as center he has every right to that call.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Again, you sound like an official. Of course he can make the call. All officials can make any call .. all they have to do is blow the whistle.

It is not his call if he can't see it. You have to see the violation to make the call. What is completely hilarious about your post is that is what I hear from officials .. it's my call. Nevermind you can't see it. Nevermind that another official has a better angle. Nevermind that you are guessing on what you think you saw. Nevermind that your incompetence ruins efforts by players and coaches that spend thousands of hours prepping, working, etc. .. things the pathetic refs don't do. They show up, put out their cigarette, call the game and go home. Most truly don't care .. they cash their paycheck and act like God.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing that it was or wasn't the right call except that it was his call to make. I was just pointing out that it was "Centers" call to make right or wrong.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 10 months ago

have to agree that he didn't have position to call that. his call was a blatant reaction to the flop. TRob wasn't innocent on the play as he drove his elbow into Moore, but I thought this was a 'no call situation'

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

The only answer they had for Robinson was Don Daily.

REHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Until late Sat. night, I think it is too early to get a very clear picture of the league race. Even after this week, the likely winner(s) won't probably be inscribed in anything but chalk. This has become one of the most exciting races in Big 12 hoops history.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 10 months ago

It really is interesting with each team playing each other twice during the season. BTW, how are our traitors doing in their respective conferences, anybody know?

KansasComet 2 years, 10 months ago

After the last game, I said that "Winning is a great deodorant". I am please with how the team is growing. Good things to remember is we have not been blown out of any game or played poorly and entire game. We just have lapses that cost us wins. Loses like this build character. Hopefully we get this whole thing sorted out soon. We must learn how to close out tight games. There will be plenty of them on the road to the Final Four!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

I wouldn't even consider Ellis a lock either. He should be, but he also didn't make the Jordan game either.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Billy Smith 2 years, 10 months ago

Bench Teahan ASAP. His defense is piss poor and he doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant his minutes. I'm sure we will be fine without his 2 3's a game.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

And who might you suggest we play instead, and why?

jhawkbacker 2 years, 10 months ago

OK, I know I have to consider the source, but seriously?? It's "Border War" and perhaps indicative of the reason we're through with mizzou.

Dan Harris 2 years, 10 months ago

OU giving MUCKZOO fits but english just hit a 3 to to probably seal it

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 10 months ago

WHY CAN NO ONE BEAT MISERY!!!!!! ALLL THESE TEAMS LOSING IN THE DA$@ FINAL SECONDS!!!!!!!!!

Dan Harris 2 years, 10 months ago

Mizzu is living by the 3 right now but will die by it at some point.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 10 months ago

Guys .. easy here. Remember, Missouri is doomed for miserable failure. The bigger the build-up, the bigger the fall. It is their history. It is their destiny.

Something will happen.

Kye Clark 2 years, 10 months ago

How about this scenario: Misery earns a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, and becomes the first to ever get beaten by a #16 seed. How glorious would that be?

Pam Rowe 2 years, 10 months ago

Billy Smith 2 years, 10 months ago

Uhhh Tharpe. He actually has speed and athletic ability. Play him off the ball. His turnover numbers would be a wash with how many times Teahan gets scored on. I'm pretty sure he can handle Teahan's unbelievably tough offensive role of posting in the corner clanking 3's. He makes it a 5 on 4 game because he isn't a threat whatsoever.