Sunday, February 5, 2012

Keegan

Tyshawn Taylor tries to shoulder blame

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor hangs his head after the loss to Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at Mizzou Arena.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 74-71 loss to Missouri on Feb. 4, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Missouri

Box score

— The other guys score the last 11 points of the game and beat your guys, and you want to scream at somebody. That’s understandable.

But when it’s Tyshawn Taylor you want to scream at, that’s where it gets a whole lot tougher to comprehend.

Taylor aimed enough anger in his own direction after he stumbled to the finish line in Kansas University’s 74-71 loss to Missouri in amped-up Mizzou Arena. He doesn’t need any backup singers piling on.

“I feel like I cost us the game, and that’s a sucky feeling,” Taylor said.

That’s a little harsh from a guy who without question was the best player in the game in the first half, a guy who scored 21 points, made nine of 15 field goals, knocked down a pair of three-pointers and defended Missouri point guard Phil Pressey so well that he had more turnovers (three) than points (two).

A selfish player might have taken his 17 points into the second half and tried to see how many he could score. Taylor took a smarter path, fed teammate Thomas Robinson and watched him carry Kansas to a big lead, and then Taylor scored what to that point was the team’s biggest bucket.

Taylor freed himself with one of his too-quick-to-see moves on a baseline drive punctuated with a dunk that put Kansas up, 71-63, with 3:24 left. After that, Missouri couldn’t do much wrong, Taylor and his teammates couldn’t do much right, and the arena that was loud from wire to wire took on disco-like volume. And no disco party is complete without a couple of impossible-to-ignore whistles. Those went the way of the hosts in the waning moment.

Missouri scored the game’s final 11 points in the final 2:04, and Taylor and Robinson, who had played so well, faded as the lead vanished.

Taylor played no small part in the meltdown, which left him thinking he had cost his team the game.

With Kansas up two and 1:15 left, Taylor lost his dribble and turned it over. With 42 seconds left and Kansas trailing by a point, he missed a pair of free throws, and it was difficult to see that and not think for a quick second about Christian Moody, no matter how hard you might have tried to think about anyone but him.

With 10 seconds left, Taylor drove into the lane, put up a shot and was called for a charge after making contact with Michael Dixon. That call could be termed questionable. That term did not fit a bigger whistle that went against Robinson, which was better termed unquestionably bad.

Robinson made a bucket that would have put Kansas up seven with 1:43 left. Steve Moore — don’t be surprised to see him at the Oscars accepting a trophy for the best flop of the 2011-2012 college basketball season — willed himself onto the floor. The ref bit, nullified the bucket and tagged Robinson with a charge.

After the loss, KU coach Bill Self must have been torn, not knowing whether to hug or slug his players. For so much of the game they played such inspired, driven, poised basketball. Yet, because they were bludgeoned at the end of both halves, they had nothing but a loss to show for it and in the process moved from sole possession of first place in the Big 12 into a three-way tie with Missouri and Baylor.

Combine the final 4:08 of the first half with the final 2:04 of the second, and in that 6:12, Missouri outscored Kansas, 22-2. In the other 33:48, the score was Kansas 69, Missouri 52.

“We’ve just got to bounce back,” Taylor said after pointing the finger of blame at the mirror. “We’ve got another tough one coming up Wednesday night.”

Baylor in Waco certainly defines a tough game.

The vocal minority upset with Taylor not carrying the Jayhawks to the finish line Saturday might watch the Baylor game waiting for him to make a mistake. His coach, the only voice that matters to the guard in the midst of a terrific senior year, will expect him to carry the team to victory.

“He’s damn good,” Self said, then repeated himself more slowly to emphasize just how much he meant what he said. “He is damn good. And he played so well the first half and kept us in the game. The second half, he just didn’t make good decisions down the stretch. But I’ll put the ball in his hands any day.”

And doing that will make every opposing coach sweat a little harder.

Comments

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 7 months ago

Keegan, these are the kinds of articles you need to write. This was good. Stay away from that editorial stuff full of analogies. I liked this one.

hawk316 2 years, 7 months ago

Nice article, indeed.

WIthout TT's terrific play we would have never been in a position to win the game. This kid has really elevated his play in recent weeks, but he is not perfect (no one is). You put the ball in his hands at crunch time and hope for the best (although we often remember his big shots, even Michael Jordan at times misfired in the clutch).

TT, put this one behind you. Thanks for your great effort and go get us a win in Waco.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

+1. Taylor has taken his game to new heights, which suggests serious mental fortitude on his part after the bashing he endured earlier in the season. I love watching him play, and - needless to say - I'll hate watching him go. He plays with explosiveness and aggression. I remember Self lamenting earlier in the year that we didn't seem to have a player who infused his personality into KU's game play. Tyshawn plays with swagger and a style all his own. Hold your head high Taylor.

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 7 months ago

I have never felt so robbed of a game in my life. I swear it seemed like it didn't matter what it looked like, the refs would just call an offensive foul. They even had Vitale sayig those were bad calls. All in all, hats off to Mizzou how they make shooting 3s look as easy a making a layup idk, but I hope they don't they'll get within anywhere close to 15 points of us come Feb 25 at the Phog. Honestly if you thought Mizzou arena was crazy, just imagine. I'm predicting that it hits close to 135 decibels. Revenge thy name is Kansas.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

kesmithstl1 2 years, 7 months ago

don't like to blame the refs either, but the call on Robinson was HUGE!!!! KU goes from potentially up 7 to (after Denmon's three) up 2. HUGE shift in momentum.

Deb Engstrom 2 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully someone can explain to me why he was driving the lane with lots of time on the shot clock and a 7 point lead. Those are exactly the kinds of calls that should be avoided on the road.

Justin Kruse 2 years, 7 months ago

Those were my thought exactly. Especially after taking an earlier shot w/ at least half the shot clock left and missing it. Bad call, yes, but I don't think he should have been putting himself in that position anyway.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 7 months ago

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!! He was attacking the basket the way an all-american candidate should late in the game. Mizzou can obviously make a 7 pt lead evaporate seconds.

Now the jumper he shot was another story, but I'll take him attacking the basket any day!!!

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

+1 That's the kind of aggressive play you expect from the best in the nation, especially when he's one on one. You separate that kind of confidence from the way he has played all season, and he's no longer a POY favorite.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

I love aggressive play as much as anyone, but you have to consider the situation. There's a time to be aggressive and a time to milk the clock. If we had used up most of the shot clock each time we had the ball down the stretch, it would have been much harder for Misuse to win, even with the questionable calls.

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry for my mispelling errors haha. 2 in the morning and I'm half asleep.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I posted this on the recap article, but I want to put it here as well, just so everyone can see how blatantly obvious that Taylor charge was just a terrible, terrible call. Check out the still and tell me Taylor could have possibly charged on this play:

Again, as I said in the other article, one -- or in this case two -- bad calls don't lose us the game. We could have still made the plays to get the win. But it is REALLY unfortunate that such obviously terrible calls played such a big part in what was otherwise a very good game.

yates33333 2 years, 7 months ago

LAJayhawk.. I hope you read this. How do you get stills off of a telecast. This looks like a telecast probably picked up off your computer or a tape/CD of the game. I would really like to be able to do that!!!!

Of course, you are correct. It wasn't a charge. Referees make multiple mistakes during a BB game. I often wonder if they are ever intentional.

Marc Frey 2 years, 7 months ago

The home team almost always gets those call. With the Mizzery fans all geeked up for thier first and only Game Day Crew, the officials bought into the hype. KU gets those call at AFH as well. Intnentional...no, but they play to the crowd way too often and it goes both ways.

leonard 2 years, 7 months ago

For anyone interested here's where you can find a mountain of statistics on college referees...statsheet.com.

The 3 referees for KU-MU are listed on statsheet as Doug Sirmons...Don Daily...Rodrick Dixon. All three are listed as higher than normal when favoring the home team over the visiting team on fouls called.

Kent Kossoy 2 years, 7 months ago

This is the kind of miscalls that the conference should act on. Home teams usually get the questionable calls, but this was just plain BAD!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

yates, good question. I didn't take the pic, rather I got it from a friend off of Facebook. However, if you look closely, you can see the edge of the TV and the stand it rests on. The person who took the picture must have paused his DVR and taken a picture of the screen.

As to do what you're asking, I'm not sure. I don't think it would be possibly unless you were streaming through your computer. I have Direct TV and I'm fairly certain it's not possible to download off of the DVR. It might be possible with TiVo, I don't know.

Excellent question, though. I wouldn't mind knowing myself!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 7 months ago

LA---You are becoming one of my favorite posters to read. Caught some heat about the late calls in the game, but really, your picture tells it all. It is unfortunate that the missed calls (or no calls) had to dominate toward the end. Somebody said during the live broadcast (sorry, I don't know who it was--there was at least 2000 live posts, btw) that even Dick Vitale called the charges on KU bad calls. As much as I don't like Dickie V., he probably is an expert in basketball. Thanks for the photo, LA.

brooksmd 2 years, 7 months ago

ESPN showed an overhead video of it and it was blatantly clear it was a block and not a charge. But some refs like to make themselves look like they are in charge and make spectacular call displays. The ref that made that call looked to me like he put extra effort into it. Hopefully this crew won't get invites to the dance.

Michael Sillman 2 years, 7 months ago

Better to have losses like this early rather than late while things can be learned.

Against a team like Missouri, Withey needs to get more than one shot. With his free throw shooting the ball should have gone inside to him on every play down the stretch.

Johnson needs to delete the three from his game and use his athleticism to go inside.

Good to see Teahan hit his threes. We'll need him later.

Need to keep working on the 3 point defense for the mid-majors that we may meet during the Madness. It's difficult to win when Missouri makes almost 50% from long range.

I think Taylor will be better at closing out games after this one.

Frankly I was glad to see the Hawks in a position to win this one. Tough place to play.

eastcoasthawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I was also expecting to see Withey come back on the floor for offense as the clock wound down.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

Withey..the disappearing 7 footer. Johnson...5 Star flop? Still unsure if he was overrated or he had his confidence beat out of him by HCBS. Robinson & TT played great until the final moments.. Looking for better results in AFH

Nick Cole 2 years, 7 months ago

This game was total BS (not Bill Self, but rather the stuff that comes out the backside of a bull). Yes, we played like crapola to end both halves, especially the 2nd half. Yes, Tyshawn carried us the first half, but he also cost us when it mattered the most. I'm sick of people saying we wouldn't be where we are w/o Ty. Sure he is good, but we have 5 losses on the season, and a few of them can be directly related to him. We have about the same number of wins directly related to his play, so I think he is a wash. Put the dang ball in EJ's hands at the end of the game. He at least doesn't turn the freaking thing over like Ty does.

Also, those two charge calls were total BS, and everyone who saw this game knows it. What's up with the refs shaking hands with the mizzou athletic director in the tunnel after the game? Is that normal?

Look, I don't blame the stripes for KU losing this game, but they definitely helped them get back in it and gave them a chance when we should have been up 8 points late instead of up 3. That right there (related to the charge against TRob) was total and complete crap. I wish refs would get fined/suspended for crummy calls like that. Instead, everyone defends them. Garbage.

2.25.12 - Can't wait! We'll get our revenge.

lurkerhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

EJ technically did have the ball at the end of the game.

Aaron Carpenter 2 years, 7 months ago

Your an idiot. Please make sure ou put on your helmet before posting again.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Agree with everything you said other than EJ. I think the ball needs to go to TRob and gather a foul to shoot FTs.

Kent Kossoy 2 years, 7 months ago

So he can get called for another bogus charge??

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Waa. That call could have gone either way. It didn't go ours.

kusports1 2 years, 7 months ago

No, actually that call on TRob was blalantly obvious that it was a terrible call. it was not even close to a 50/50 call.

brinkofdawn 2 years, 7 months ago

If you really bleed crimson and blue like your name suggests, then maybe you should lay off the crack pipe and stop bashing our meal ticket. You really think it's a wash between the games Tyshawn has supposedly cost us versus the games he's carried us? You are high! This team would have another 5 or 6 losses without Taylor this year. EJ is not a point guard and he proved last night that he doesn't want to take the big shot. He had about as open of a look as you might expect with about 5 seconds left last night and he hesitated, put the ball on the floor, and ended up heaving a shot that had no chance at the buzzer. Let's take Tyshawn off the team right now and see how far we get. You can kiss the Big 12 title goodbye. A 1st or 2nd round loss in the Dance would likely follow.

Yeah, it sucks that we blew an 8 point lead in the last 3 minutes, but we wouldn't have had an 8 point lead to blow w/o Taylor. This team will go as far as Tyshawn and Thomas will take us. We need the others to step up and play solid ball down the stretch as well. It was mentioned last night...this is by far the worst team Self has had since he's been at KU. It's the worst team he's had and we are still ranked high and still have a great shot to win the Big 12 for the 8th consecutive year. Any school would love to have a "rebuilding" year like this. Even Roy had a crappy year at UNC a few seasons ago and they missed the Dance altogether. It's ok to be pissed about a loss, but let's rally behind the team and continue the support. One game at a time...starting in Waco. It's entirely possible this team could run the table. 35-5...not a bad final record.

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

+1 You put it perfectly. Without Tyshawn we are no longer a top 25 team. If you believe otherwise, then I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

"It's entirely possible this team could run the table. 35-5 ..."

I'd love to believe that. Unfortunately, not only do I think it's not entirely possible, but I don't think it's even REMOTELY possible.

If we get past the Sweet 16 this year, it will be a major accomplishment. As great as TRob is and Tyshawn often is, there are just too many problems overall to expect this team to make a major run in the tournament.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

I capitalized "remotely," but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be REMOTELY possible that the LJW will show the slightest modicum of consistency when it comes to displaying our points of emphasis.

For God sake, is it too much to ask to stop censoring our words if they're not offensive?!?!?

Nick Cole 2 years, 7 months ago

2.25.12 - Can't wait! We'll get our revenge.

Ross Hartley 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you think TT is our point guard? Would you rather see someone else running the team? Of course not, so what good is there in the continual bashing? This time of year it should all be about support as we have what we have. However, we would have been smoked in the 1st half and possibly not in a position to win w/o TT. Am I disappointed.....sure; but TT is running my team, will be running my team and I am fully supporting his efforts.

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 7 months ago

You do realize the fact that him being the best player in the first half and costing us the game are not mutually exclusive, right?

This has been my problem with TT all season. His 'good' comes with a whole lot of stupid plays. Most of the time he's plays well enough to overcoming the brain-farts, but against teams of Mizzou's caliber where the margin of error isn't very large his mistakes lose games.

I put a bit more of this loss on Self's head though. Instead of going to the bread and butter that got us an 8 point lead in the second quarter (pounding it in to T-rob) he called a play that required TT to take the last shot. His faith in TT is the single most baffling thing I've ever seen HCBS do.

This team may very well win the Big 12 regular season again, but we'll be lucky to make it out of the first round of the NCAAT with TT as our ball handler.

WilburNether 2 years, 7 months ago

To put it simply enough that even foolish fanbois can understand it, dannylandulf is exactly RIGHT.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. The big time games (besides Ohio State) that we have been in this year and lost have been more than partially because of TT's play late in a game. You guys that don't see this are not realizing that other high caliber teams like KU aren't turning the ball over late consistantly like we are. This is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. This team struggles with losing it's nerves late in a game. That will cost us as Danny is suggesting.....and it already has for sure three times this season. I'm not saying TT won't develop as the season goes along because he does look better this year than last, but wow....

I will agree that some of the fouls were questionable, but they made plays and we did not simply put.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

That said...TT is a stud and needs to be on the court. Just not at point. Just my opinion. I think the development of Tharpe early on was crucial and that didn't happen. We would have taken a couple more bumps and bruises because of it, but in the end I think the rewards would have been huge. Oh well, keep fighting TT....you're an amazing player and I love the confidence you are playing with.

jayhawker_97 2 years, 7 months ago

hey, TT. i hate to tweet, but you're damned good!!! and i agree with Keg & HCBS. keep it up. drive with strong dunk like that more often! and those jumpers, too!

the game, i expected the loss, anyway - it's because the refs that i was worried about. it was good that we almost had it. but if anyone wants to blame, blame no one in our team, but the $%@#* refs - it's as simple as that. oh, those pesky little mice, they're lucky with the hot hands tonight. that's all!!

honk_for_hawks 2 years, 7 months ago

and of course the TT haters come out again. First of all, "put the ball in EJ's hands because he doesn't turn it over"? Check Newell's advanced stats, EJ's turnover percentage is about the same as TT's. The difference is TT has the ball more so he has more total TOs. Two, we put the ball in EJ's hands at the end and he could not have looked like he wanted that ball less. Three, TT is one of the best defenders at the PG position in the country. Pressey finished 1-5 for 2 pts and 3 TOs. In case you didn't realize, Pressey is one of their best players. Four, the reason self trusts TT is because NO ONE can stop him from getting to the rim. Five, there are 5 players on the court at a time and all five of them are responsible for each loss and each win.

KissMyPhoggyHaase 2 years, 7 months ago

Very true. The ball is put in TT's in alot more turnover proned situations. He is asked to drive and try to draw fouls or find the big men with lobs. Teahan needs to take some lessons from Morningstar on how to feed the post. Has to contribute more than just shooting open 3's and passing ball right back if it's not there. Releford seems to have a little trouble with it too.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

Do others agree that "KissMyPhoggyHaase" has got to be one of the greatest handles in the history of this site?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"...we put the ball in EJ's hands at the end and he could not have looked like he wanted that ball less."

100% agree. That was the "Mario Chalmers play." The EXACT play from the national championship game, only when EJ got the ball and had an opening, he was hesitant and afraid to take the shot. After hesitating, he then was forced to chuck up an awful, guarded, off-balance shot. He had the opening, but he didn't take the shot.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

Honk_for_hawks, you absolutely nailed it. +100

syceda 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe if we had better time management the refs might not have had the chance to turn the game. Great game crazy officiating, Oh ya what the hell was that foul on Ratliff that was given to another MU player. I watched that five times and there was no one else touching T Rob but Ratliff, That guy got six fouls. I like how people say their were bad calls on both sides when its 20 to 10 and we got hacked on so many shots that should have had a foul shot. I will say the MU has a very good team and should go far come march but this loss is all KU and a lack of discipline.

Rock Chalk!

KissMyPhoggyHaase 2 years, 7 months ago

That ref lives in missouri and mostly does missouri valley games. We can't blame him tho. We knew that kinda call was coming sometime and we gotta play threw it for the win.

KissMyPhoggyHaase 2 years, 7 months ago

great article. taylor played his ass off for 38 min on both sides of the ball. Can only really remember once he got beat to the bucket. Seemed like he ran outta gas and just didn't have his legs under him for the free throws. Don't know what was said in the huddle but it seemed like the posessions after T-Robs (turrible) charge call. Self called to clear the court and have taylor take it to the hole. He did what he was supposed to just couldn't get them to fall. He kept his head in the game tho and made that smart foul on the only 70% free throw shooter on the floor. Don't really know why our POY canidate didn't touch the ball in either of those posessions tho. Seems like missouri is only worried about that game and not the BIG picture of winning the Big 12. We just gotta get back to work and do what we need to do and they'll pull a Texas at the end of the year.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"Seems like missouri is only worried about that game and not the BIG picture of winning the Big 12."

Why do you say that? That was a huge game for both teams. We need road wins in Waco and Manhattan or the title may go to MU in their last season in the Big XII. I don't want to see that happen and I'm sure you don't either.

Jonathan Briles 2 years, 7 months ago

I am not upset with Taylor because we would not have even been in the game to have him lose it for us if it was not for his great play throughout most of the game.

I cannot figure out why people are not throwing more blame on Withey and Teahan. Teahan had two great three point shots and a nice steal that led to a bucket but his defense was pathetic. He was the defender for at least two of the final three 3-point shots. He was being targeted on defense all night long and could not stop anything. I am also sick and tired of watch him at 6'6 get out rebounded by 6'1 and 6'2 guards for every single 50/50 ball. As for Withey it was not what he did wrong it was about him not doing anything at all. He was fairly slow on defense and non existent on offense. He had ZERO points in the game. He was being guarded by someone that was SIX INCHES shorter than him and only attempted one damn shot all freaking night. He attempted no free throws at all. How can you have that little production against someone you have half a foot on. He was routinely playing 6 to 7 feet from the basket and every time he got the ball he made no attempts to score. It did not even cross his mind to score he would pass it off so fast.

I don't blame Taylor because he did enough good to nullify the bad he did. I put this game on the heads of Teahan's defense and Withey's not even attempting to play offense. Obviously I also put quite a bit on the the crap calls made by the officials, but TT made just as many good plays as he did bad ones so I cannot blame him.

NJHAWK 2 years, 7 months ago

Self's game plan in the second half involved Trob and not Withey. Withey was clearing or blocking people from Trob's path. He did what was asked of him.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

I realize that the focus was on TRob, but do you honestly believe that Withey was asked to only take one shot the entire frickin' game??? And you can add in the fact that he had only four rebounds. KanFan is spot on that it was an absolutely pathetic performance for someone who had such a huge height advantage.

Self even made a comment about Withey having not done much in the game.

rodriguez33 2 years, 7 months ago

+a million

Teahan is garbage. Why does he play so much??

John Mueller 2 years, 7 months ago

i have been one of the first to pile on TT for making stupid plays and showing immaturity.

Not this morning.

He was our leader. He was the best player on the floor for the entire game.

He didn't play a perfect game, but he played well enough for Kansas to win vs. a bitter rival in an unbelievable atmosphere.

I thought the worst decision of the game belonged to Trob on a possession where he took a tough shot missed, got his own rebound and instead of passing to TT, he tried to score again and took an awful shot.

I am not a fan of his 15 ft jump shots, either.

I am not blaming TRob either. He played with alot of energy in the 2nd half and absolutely played his heart out.

But, if we're gonna talk about low basketball IQ plays.....last night they belonged to TRob not TT.

Hate to miss free throws down the stretch, but i think the kid was exhausted.

I think his legs were gone, but his heart was not.

All glory to TT this morning. The kid is a winner. He has matured. He is our leader. And, we darn near beat a very good team, in an unbelievable atmosphere.

Remember, nobody wanted to win that game more than those kids.

You learn more from life when you fall down than you do when you are giving an acceptance speech.

Go win at Baylor! It's a long season.

Very proud of those young men and damn proud to be a Jayhawk.

Rock Chalk

PS Somebody mentioned Withey. He made a few plays in the 2nd half, but man, you talk about somebody that was completely timid last night. We could have used him on the free throw line last night. Didn't understand his role in the game at all last night.

John Mueller 2 years, 7 months ago

PS I am not going to complain about officiating. That is for losers.

But, I'm sorry an official should be invisible, not a rodeo clown.

I won't comment on the calls, but the nature in which he made them where he has some over theatrical call like a bad, fat baseball home plate umpire.......

What a douche!

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

Guess the BIG question now is...do we bust our streak for not losing back-to-back games (currently the nation's longest)???

brett conrad 2 years, 7 months ago

Teahan scored 6 gave up 20, Withey 1 reb, 0 points ,don't blame TT

Steve Reigle 2 years, 7 months ago

Teams win and teams lose. It's so easy to point to any one event and say that's what made the difference. But there are many of those times throughout every game. It's truly a shame, though, that the officiating had to affect the outcome of the game. Or maybe I should say "effect" the outcome. One really bad call near the end and one that's usually a no-call that close to the end of the game. Sad.

That said, hats off to Missouri. Not only did they play very well and show they deserve their ranking, they did so with class. Helping our guys up off the floor (and our guys helping theirs, too). Stopping the crowd from rushing the floor. I don't know if this was inspired by coach Frank Haith or by Kim English or by someone else, but I like it.

TT is being too hard on himself. Without his play, we didn't even reach the point where Missouri had to make the comeback.

ssteve1 2 years, 7 months ago

Same ol', Same ol'. Defend the three and make free throws.

Slick50 2 years, 7 months ago

Ever notice how every comment about TT is prefaced with "he did more good than bad"? He's the KU player with the lowest basketball IQ I've ever seen in my life. I won't even go into the total lack of clutch gene. C'mon apologists, have at me for daring speak the truth.

owoyii 2 years, 7 months ago

How brilliant of a person you must be in your delusional world.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

Gosh, can you be my coach? You're intellectual insight is staggering. And finishing with, "C'mon apologists, have at me for daring speak the truth," to try to make your comment seem more rational than it is. Brilliant, simply brilliant. Hats off to you, Slick50. You have opened all our eyes. I'm serious, you have inspired me. Maybe I'll get a T-shirt that says "Slick50 is my Hero." It would only be slightly more stupid than the MU T-shirts celebrating their #4 ranked team beating the #8 ranked team in a regular season game on their own court when they were picked to win the game. I bet you have one of those, "Win or lose, we'll still booze" shirts. Wow, you're a genius.

Aaron Carpenter 2 years, 7 months ago

smileyiv 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey Tyshawn appreciate the effort. He didn't cost us the game, but kept us in the game. There is always so much emotion in these games. This was a classic game at old Misery. Denmom has been average at best in big 12 play, even terrible the last three games. Once a year a guy like him, a la T gardner, lee coward, clarence gilbert and I am sure there are a few more guys, that just go lights out on us. We take everyones best shot. Wouldn't want it any other way. The solace in the game was even though he went off, WE lost the game. If we go back to preseason and you would tell me we would be in this position again in the big 12 after losing three freshman and hearing all the pundits say this is a "rebuilding year", I say sign me up. Boys keep your head up. Thanks for the effort. HCBS you are the man, very few coaches can do what you do year in and year out. ROCK CHALK

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

TT played a great game, I'm very proud of you.

One thought at the end we knew you were going 'left' just try and make your drives 50/50 left and right.

Keep playing great, you have become what you hoped 3-4 yrs ago, a baller stud. Thanks.

hathead 2 years, 7 months ago

Here's what ya'll don't understand: HCBS was out-coached. Sometimes he works a game and you'd think he was a hall of famer. Other times he makes you wonder if he's ever studied the game at all.

sundancewierdo 2 years, 7 months ago

You're an idiot. It's quite obvious to everyone else that this is his least talented team, and they are competing. If being ranked in the top 10 for half the season is a "down year", I'll take it. I think we have the best coach in the nation... and we're still going to win the Big 12, just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.......................................

minnhawk84 2 years, 7 months ago

OK, give me five concrete examples how Coach Self was out-coached. I'll look forward to your reasoned response.

Dan Harris 2 years, 7 months ago

how abouy just one? what a douche!

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

I call b.s. on this!!!!! Coach did everything (but put on the uni) to put the kids in the position to win this game. He can't make the plays (or the decisions) for them!!!

bradynsdad 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed hathead. I think self had a talk with the officials first telling them to make sure we put mizzou in the bonus early in the first half. Then I bet he told moore to take an awful flop. I bet he made sure and to tell E.J. That if he was open for a three at the end to not shoot the ball. Let's not forget when he told trob to shoot the ball at the end instead of passing it out to set up a play. Oh and my favorite was when he yelled at Ty to miss the last two free throws. That is awful coaching. Your an idiot.

bville_hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

And how many years have you coached major college basketball?

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

A terrific Jayhawk win but for poor judgment down the stretch by our two players who had contributed most to the 8 pt. lead. Overconfidence? Arrogance? Perhaps lack of late game experience by one, physical overextension by the other? Lack of clock management cost us this game. One of the most difficult tasks for any coach to impart to a team in the closing minutes of a close contest. From the bench, or the stands, or the recliner, everyone can see the key to maintaining and protecting a lead in the closing minutes of such a hotly contested game; but caught up in the heat of the action, high school and collegiate players rarely do.

4Runner 2 years, 7 months ago

I love everything about KU and the Jayhawks… The rich winning tradition, how year after year we represent a standard by which others measure their success. The underlying homage toward the Crimson and Blue was never so evident than in the following comment consistently spoken by Mizzou players and fans, “If we were to lose every game this season yet win against Kansas,,, we would consider it a successful season”; Confirmation that they view KU as the superior program. Maybe Misery should hang a banner in the empty rafters of their field house as a result of last night’s game.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn you didn't cost the Jayhawks anything, you played a great game with a couple of mistakes. The "charge" near the end was a joke, you shook the Mizzou defender out of his shorts, he leaned back to his left into you while you were shooting, horrible horrible call by the officials who had no interest in calling Mizzou for anything all night.

I love the way the team is playing, if they had overcome everything and won last night I'd be starting to daydream about a NCAA title. As is I still feel great about this team and expect to see another BigXII title in Lawrence.

Rock Chalk TT!

Hawkword369 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't care what anybody says, I love hating missouri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoastieJhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes! That's what makes it a great rivalry. I can't stand them. That's what makes this loss painful.

Hawkword369 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree, it hurts but I bet we give them a good beating when they come to the Fieldhouse and that will feel pretty sweet. Then we will hopefully get a chance to play again in the big 12 tourney. I also love that we are both highly ranked this year. Makes it even more exciting.

Horace 2 years, 7 months ago

Robinson blew it by trying to get cute and show off his "NBA skills".

Unfortunately he has shown surprising immaturity this season.

ferdthemooncat 2 years, 7 months ago

Get back up in the saddle, Ty, it's a long season and you have a destiny to chase.

Layne Pierce 2 years, 7 months ago

Win as a team, lose as a team. Yes, Tyshawn screwed up, but fact is all he really had to do was make 1 of 2 free throws, and the game would well have been ours. Fact of the matter is, when you are 8 points up, you do anything right, and you are going to win. We did nothing as a team right, and against any good team, you'll get beat. My one big criticism of this team is that it is too much Ty and Rob. Of course they will screw up some of the time, they have to carry the team all of the time. Releford has no real offensive game. Have you noticed. EJ he just shoots a 3 everyone in a while they go in, and that;s it. Maybe physically 2nd best player on the team, he does not go to the basket? Is that by design, for defensive purposes. If so, we are robbing ourselves of a major offensive weapon. Withey just disappears. We have no bench, really. I am amazed we have the record we have. If any of the 5 could have scored over a 3 minute stretch we win. They did not, so we lose. Yes, the refs suck, but we still should have won.

machinegun 2 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn did not lose the game. Tyshawn is a leader taking responsibility.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 7 months ago

"But I would put the ball in his hands anyday," Self said.

I would, too! It is too bad we don't have a deep bench to spell TT every once in awhile. Self kind of said that in post-game.

Hammertoe 2 years, 7 months ago

Win with class. Lose with class. Blaming the refs for a loss is Rec League. No team in the history of the conference has received more "home cooking" than the Jayhawks at Allen Field House. If that game was played at AFH, all those calls would have gone the Jayhawks way. KU fans publicly "piling on" your own players is totally classless. They read and listen.....Not like they aren't doing their best. Nothing like putting more pressure on your own team. What alternatives does Bill Self have? Coach Self proved once again he has more class than any coach in the league by complimenting the Mizzou fans and atmosphere. You don't hear that very often by coaches leaving AFH.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 2 years, 7 months ago

Taylor was fantastic. Kudos on a great game.

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I hope to read little more about TT's self-abasement regarding the turnabout in the final minutes of the Mizzou contest. Hopefully, he and his team members can learn from what happened, quickly regroup to rebound in the win column Wednesday at Waco. The Big 12 title still lies very much within Jayhawk grasp. Rock Chalk!

Ryan Michael 2 years, 7 months ago

I just don't understand Selfs logic in playing Teahan ALL night... He was getting burned play after play. In the second half it was pretty obvious MU's strategy was "go at Teahan".

Virtually every play in the last few minutes involved Teahan dropping his man or being in the wrong place. I wasn't the only one who realized this, and it wasn't just fans realizing it either. It looked like T-Rob was chewing Teahan out at one point, and Danny had to step in and squash it.

I'm sorry but if Teahan is seeing 20+ minutes a game moving forward, I don't hold a hole lot of hope for our season.

Also, I should point out that I like Teahan... He's a hell of a team player and he bleeds crimson and blue. That being said, at some point you have to call a spade a spade... He just isn't keeping up.

BPSkelly 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Ryan32.

Im floored there hasnt been more question about Self having Tehan cover Mizzou's best shooter when it mattered. This strikes me as poor use of resources to be honest. All the other factors at the end certainly were "factors" but we were almost asking Denmon to exploit us with that matchup... and he did.

Sorry, poor decision on the coaches part there. Still wonder why no one is calling Self on it.

dstnku34 2 years, 7 months ago

A couple interesting things bother me. First, I think it's interesting that this is the second consecutive road game KU doesn't reach the single bonus in the second half. Second, mizzou people on espn boards were saying the refs sucked because Robinson should have fouled out for charging so much, while I felt that mizzou players were pushing too much in the post to not draw any fouls. So, if all the fouls both fan bases wanted had been called, we'd still be playing this afternoon, but instead both teams had a COMBINED TOTAL of 10 fouls with about 3 minutes to go. So if the refs had decided to let everyone play to this point, why was it with Mizzou down 8 that the refs become a factor and take buckets and shots away from KU? Mizzou got shots off and hit them. That's what top 10 programs are supposed to do. The refs decided that KU should not be allowed to get shots off in the last 90 seconds. KU was not allowed to even have a chance to step up and knock down a big shot.

About the charge on Tyshawn and it's relationship to a 2.5 point spread that favored Mizzou...if Tyshawn had been allowed to shoot that shot or had the foul been called a block, what are the chances that Mizzou wins by at least 3, if they still win? The only chance that Mizzou was going to cover the spread was a flat out turnover on a zero shot possession. With Tyshawn already in the motion from 15 feet, somehow that's exactly what they got...this is the second game this season (Duke) that our opponent covered the spread directly through an official. Somebody prove me wrong, please.

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

Anderson kids, well prepared by Frank in hostile wild environment and we played them straight up. I hate this loss yet never felt better, after last night I know now that we can ball with practically anyone on a nuetral court & 99% of America on their Game Day home court, Few if any can do that.

Hats off to Mizz, got their season win, now on to our goals, we have bigger fish to fry.

Taylor you are a stud, nice to watch you play, many great plays on both ends and a couple errors of aggression. So what, don't listen to the naysayers, Babe Ruth struck out more than he hit it, your are a 1st class stud. I'm proud of you, now go take care of business the games we have left.

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 7 months ago

Keep your head up TT. We'll need you later in the year.

We flippin' had that game!!!

I'm sooooooo hopeful that the BIG12 championship is on the line when MIZWHO comes to Lawrence. We're gonna demolish those Missourah chumps.

Go KU!!!!!!

Lance Hobson 2 years, 7 months ago

Can't give up on TT, we need him. This game is about as frustrating as ever, the type that has defined his career, but it's not over yet. He can get us on a run in March. I don't see the Hawks bouncing back on Wednesday, though. That would be asking too much after this effort.

KUFAN2121 2 years, 7 months ago

We just need to admit we're not that good this year. Sure, we have moments where we shine, but overall, we're struggling to keep up when we ordinarily would dominate. Mizzou is just better than us this year. I think we'll win when they come to visit next, but in the back of my mind, I'm scared they're going to come in and dominate. TT, for better or for worse is what we've got. Blaming the REFs doesn't help one bit. We got a few calls that could have went the other way plenty of times. This game came down to us, and we have only ourselves to blame.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 7 months ago

Why would you think MU can come to Allen and dominate? They didn't dominate in Paige and they had the fans behind them, they are notoriously better at home than on the road, and they had a huge advantage in fouls called (20-10) and consequently free throws shot. I'm bummed we lost, but the fact is, absent an absolutely ridiculous set of events the last two minutes, we win that game by 5 points.

johninkc1 2 years, 7 months ago

Tom, Great article. Don't know if the players read these postings but I am proud of our team. Great game, bad outcome. WE ARE KANSAS! We will respond. If we believe in ourselves, we can make this push us to greatness, if we feel sorry for ourselves, we can finish not where we want. The officials didn't do us any favors down the stretch but we can't expect to get the close calls on the road. Guys take this same game to Waco and beyond and I like our chances. ROCK CHALK!

Vittorio1224 2 years, 7 months ago

Keegs: This is actually one of your better articles; not just because it bleeds our Crimson & Blue, but rather because it's heartfelt, and what Jayhawks come to expect. Yeah, Ty had a rough end to the game, but there is no way we're even in it without his play in the first half and most of the second half. Classy KU fans and grads don't bash their players. They support them in good and bad. Truth is we've been spoiled big time. Seven straight Big 12 titles; Mizzou has ZIP ZERO ZILCH. Enough said.

Let's beat Baylor and the 8th straight Big 12 title is squarely back in the cross-hairs Ladies & Gentlemen. Rock Chalk Jayhawk and players, hang your heads high. You nearly beat and outplayed the higher ranked team on their home court in front of a jacked crowd, who struggled mightily to beat you. We will prevail.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Poor time management is everyone's fault. Missouri had only four fouls with two minutes left. KU should have used up 30 seconds on each possession or draw the foul to get a new time clock.

Two minutes = 120 seconds divided by eight possessions [4 for each club] = 15 seconds. KU holds possession just once, game over.... TT makes both free throws, game over.... TRob gets correct call, draws foul, makes the bucket and the bruise, game over.

Kansas does none of the three...game over!!!

lrahardja 2 years, 7 months ago

Everybody knew that TT would have the ball toward the end of the regulation, MU just had to gang up on TT and took their chances. A lot like when Sheron when he was a senior... Why not set up less predictable set play? Like second and third option?

kubiggestfan 2 years, 7 months ago

Keep you head up Tyshawn....There are so many other plays that could have had KU up so don't bear the burden by yourself. You are a great player and have several more games to play so look ahead and forget about this one..You will get a second chance at MIZZOU before they leave for the SEC.

Good luck!

formerspacin 2 years, 7 months ago

Let's not pretend what happened didn't happen. Let's not pretend titles aren't won and lost in the crunch. Two people lost this game-Bill Self and TT.

1. Sorry, but if you consider yourself one of the premier players in the nation, you make your free throws. Zero excuses. The line hasn't moved and the rim hasn't gotten smaller since you started shooting them when you were 3 years old.

2. Self should have called the final play for Robinson to work his magic down low in the post. He's a god down there, and it's a heckuva lot easier to score from 4 feet than 18 feet. Zero excuses.

dmb40fan 2 years, 7 months ago

I think some of you have made some positive comments which I believe is so important as a KU fan, however, I fear this is not a scenario we have faced only once this year, and will continue to face. Yes I do believe Tyshawn is a great athlete, but he plays out of control FAR too often. His favorite thing to do is to drive to the middle and get into the air and then make a decision, and this gets him in trouble far more often than not. Some of you think that Tyshawn played great in the 1st half and he kept the team in the game, and that may be partially true, but the truth of the fact is that in the second half when KU went to their true all american the first 3 times down the floor T Rob scored or KU got an easy bucket b/c of the double team coming to T Rob. The KU offense is set to run through T Rob. There wasn't any reason down the stretch of the game that TT shouldn't have gone to Robinson.
When KU goes through Robinson they went on an 11-0 run to start the 2nd half, then they go away from that and let MU back in the game. KU has no one to blame but themselves for missing free throws, making poor decisions late, and not taking advantage of Robinson in the post against a weaker defensive team. MU was shooting 3's and KU was not pushing them to drive to the middle to the meat of our defense was another issue.
I think the fact that some of you want to blame a player control foul on a referee, that mirrored a call in the 1st half on TT, so he should've been well aware. People want to make excuses, the fact is that KU put themselves in a position to win, and couldn't close out, PERIOD. Just be ready on Wed fellas, work hard!!!

El Jay 2 years, 7 months ago

that was one of the more painful regular season losses I can remember, mostly because I cant remember the last time we've choked a lead down the stretch like that. I thought the charge call against TRob was one of the worst calls Ive seen and was the turning point in the game. But this was a total team effort. Jeff couldnt do anything, Thomas disappeared after that call, Taylor played sloppy down the stretch and of course missed those two FTs and I really thought coach Self did a poor job out of that last time out. A half out of control/barely in control forced drive to the bucket by Taylor with 10 seconds left is hardly the look I was hoping for, especially given that Taylor had not been playing well down the stretch. I would have liked to have seen TRob get that ball and I would have liked to have seen Jeff in the game there for a potential rebound. But HCBS is who he is for a reason so far be it for me to second guess him, I just thought we could have gotten a better look there. Also, anyone else notice how refs never call fouls on the last play of a game. I know it was a desperation shot, but it looked pretty clear to me that EJ was fouled on that desperation three at the end.

tauck 2 years, 7 months ago

Lets get right down to the point here. Tyshawn Taylor did not cost us this game. This game was lost when Coach Self, up 8, took Jeff Withey out of the game. It was at that time that I said to my wife, "honey, he's going to cost us the game". Still, to this day, I do not know what Self was thinking. I could care less how many points Withey scored, how many rebounds he had, I just know that on 13 occassions he stopped or altered shots that make me think back to the Cole Aldredge days. He allows every defender the chance to get a step closer to their man and is the main reason we are such a good defensive team. The minute Self subs for him, the ball immediately starts to go inside, but more importantly the defense starts to cheat towards the ball to help out giving the opposition a chace to kick it out and hit those dagger 3 pointers that killed us in the final minutes the other night. A step makes all the difference and Withey provides us that extra step defensively. Withey is also our best free throw shooter and provides us a offensive rebounding presence. I also wondered after the time out, why I did not see Thomas Robinson post up towards the ball (Tyshawn Taylor). It looked as if the last shot was Taylors to take off the dribble. My question is why wouldn't the last shot been a post move by Robinson who was on fire? I could be wrong but when Taylor got the ball, there was know post up by Trob? Bottom line is though, keep Withey in the game the 8 point lead does not evaporate. Take that to the bank!!!