Sunday, February 5, 2012

Missouri’s Kim English discourages ‘rah-rah celebration’

Kansas guard Travis Releford watches as Missouri guard Kim English comes down with a missed free throw from KU guard Tyshawn Taylor (10) during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012 at Mizzou Arena.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 74-71 loss to Missouri on Feb. 4, 2012.

Download podcast

KU vs. Missouri

Box score

— When a few Missouri students ran onto the court after Saturday’s game, MU guard Kim English waved his arms, trying to get them to go back to their seats.

There was a reason, he said.

“We don’t go into games expecting to lose,” the senior guard said following MU’s 74-71 victory over Kansas University. “We prepare to win. I know how much this rivalry means to our fans, and we want to beat them really bad, because we know how much it means to them. But this game to us was just a game that we needed to win to continue our quest to win the Big 12.

“So I didn’t want a big ‘rah-rah’ celebration. I didn’t like it when they rushed the court when Zaire (Taylor) made his shot (to beat KU in 2009).”

English was perhaps the least-surprised person in Mizzou Arena when the Tigers scored the final 11 points to complete the comeback against KU.

During a stoppage in play in the final minutes with the Tigers trailing by eight, English looked at his teammates and told them, “We’re going to win this game.”

“That’s something that affected me,” MU guard Marcus Denmon said, “because I understood how much it meant to him to say that.”

English, who was sick enough that he vomited into a trash can on his way off the court at halftime, finished with 18 points on 5-for-11 shooting.

He also helped hold KU’s Jeff Withey to no points on 0-for-1 shooting in 23 minutes.

“I studied him all week. I studied his tendencies,” English said. “I studied him when (KU forward) Thomas (Robinson) had the ball, because that’s when he’s most dangerous, when Thomas misses shots. I couldn’t help a lot (on others), because I didn’t want him to get any put-backs or anything.”

English even had a little fun with a reporter who asked him why it was so difficult to win on the road in the Big Ten.

“The Big Ten would have been really tough. They would have started stalling,” English said with a grin. “Luckily, we are the Big 12, and we like to play. That’s good.”

The victory held extra significance for Kansas City, Mo., natives Denmon and Michael Dixon.

“Where we come from in Kansas City, it’s Kansas fans and Missouri fans everywhere,” Dixon said. “You can’t sit here and say this is just an ordinary game, because it’s not.”

MU coach Frank Haith, who was coaching in his first Border War game, said it would be a shame if the KU-MU series didn’t continue past this year.

“It’s great for the game to have us play,” Haith said. “But hopefully it does work out in the near future, and we’ll see how it goes.”

Comments

BigJayhawkPhan 2 years, 9 months ago

It won't "work out" Frank, KU is flushing the meth-heads FOREVER!!!

Saguaro_Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Any idea why a doofy reporter ask English about big 10 games? I could understand SEC.

cklarock 2 years, 9 months ago

Because there's 10 teams in the league this year. The reporter was being a smart-ass, but English had a great comeback. Despite myself, I like English. He has his head on straight, and seems to really get it regarding rushing the floor.

Missouri and K-State basketball both suffer from the problem that the KU game is their Final Four -- so long as that's the case, it just makes it tougher to win any actual trophies, because your mentality will always be that a 3rd place finish -- if you beat Kansas once -- is good enough.

Speaking of trophies, did anyone else laugh at the shot of the Missouri Trophy cabinet? My wife said, "Aw! It's so little and cute!" Hahahahaha, suck it slavers.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

It looked like my high school's trophy case, but we have a few more..lol

KCPatriot 2 years, 9 months ago

Calling Mizzou or its fans 'slavers' demonstrates ignorance. Columbia was a union town. The Tigers are named after a militia that was formed to guard the town from confederate irregulars. Jayhawks, however, were bushwhacking murderers. The fact that KU uses the name is an embarrassment to the school and the state.

jlvlawrence 2 years, 9 months ago

Its because he was tweeting earlier in the week about how boring the big 10 is during the Michigan St - Illinois game. I think the final score was 42-41. By the way, if anyone is on twitter, you should follow Kim English. He's great.

Orangedog87 2 years, 9 months ago

I have mentioned how boring Big 10 BB is to my friend. I placed a bet with him that the score in the Wisconsin/Ohio State game at half time would be below 25 for both teams. I got it half right Wisconsin had 24 points and Ohio State 28. The games are boring......

Orangedog87 2 years, 9 months ago

Serioulsy if Mo wanted the rivalry to continue then they should not have switched conferences and started it all a few years ago with "we are going to the Big Ten"....besides who wants to watch another game at Mo where the refs were part of the entertainment and made a couple of bad calls at a key point in the game. Okay refs make bad calls but to make a big show of it and when the bad calls are not evenly distributed to both teams.....no I dont want to watch that again

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 9 months ago

"...Serioulsy if Mo wanted the rivalry to continue then they should not have switched conferences and started it all a few years ago with "we are going to the Big Ten..."

And DING! there is the comment of the day!

All of this junk affecting the Big 12 (and other conferences) did indeed start with Missouri...they're the ones who started the dominoes of conference realignment and therefore, KU should not schedule them in anything...schedule Missouri State, shoot, schedule Central Missouri or Truman State but never Missouri.

championhawks 2 years, 9 months ago

If he didnt want a big rah rah celebration, he probably should have started with getting Moore out of the stands where he was celebrating like they just won the national championship!

grumpyjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I applaud English for what he did. I loath the fact that fans storm the court. True fans expect their team to hold serve on their home court. When fans storm the court it shows a lack of class and is very poor sportsmanship. You never see fans storm the court at the Phog because when we win at Allen that is what is expected. You didn't see the fans storm the court this season when the Jayhawks beat #2 Ohio State because it was expected.

Ron Yates 2 years, 9 months ago

Bad calls happen....KU simply took its foot off of MU's neck when it had them down by 8 with 3 to go. KU blew the game in the final minutes...not one point in 3 minutes with the game on the line? Are you kidding me? You could hear the choking even here in Cal. A sad day for the Hawks...but hey, we get 'em at home on the 25th. I predict major payback in Allen and then it's Sayonara to the Mizzou Pukes as they head to the SEC and what essentially will be football anonymity. Tigers may fare better in hoops in the BB weak SEC, but no way will they be a serious football contender in that conference. MU made a huge mistake leaving the Big-12 and destroying a 105-year-old border rivalry. Good riddance!

brooksmd 2 years, 9 months ago

For once Dickie V said something I agreed with when he said Missery belonged in the Big 12 and not the SEC. Basically ending a great rivalry.

hotrodm 2 years, 9 months ago

OUCH, that loss hurt. Jayhawks can still win the Big 12 outright, just win the rest of your games. Take your A game to Baylor and eliminate them from the race, then knock off the rest , one game at a time. Go KU Beat MIZWHO on the 25th.