Friday, February 3, 2012

Keegan

Mizzou fan antics don’t rile Robinson

So, did the Antlers, the maniacal Missouri students famous for unearthing the guarded phone numbers of Kansas University basketball players, get their hands on Thomas Robinson’s digits?

“No,” Robinson said. “I gave ‘em Merv’s number, so I’m pretty good.”

That would be Merv Lindsay, the seldom-used freshman forward. Presumably, Robinson was joking.

Efforts to rattle Robinson won’t stop at students trying to wake him up. The Mizzou Arena crowd will send a relentless stream of verbal bullets his way to see if they can throw him off his game. He plans to let them bounce off his chest.

“I know going to Mizzou is going to be the most testing situation I’ll have, probably in my career,” Robinson said. “Those fans are pretty rough on us. I mean, we’re the opposing team. All the odds are against us, but I want to get this ‘W,’ so I’m not letting anybody in that gym, stadium state, anything, start me. It is what it is. They can say what they want. We’ve got to get this ‘W.’”

Robinson has dealt with more than verbal darts from opponents looking to derail his focus. He repeatedly takes karate chops to the arm, shoves in the back, endless searches to spark the fuse that lights his temper. It used to work. He’s done a terrific job of not letting foes see him sweat from all the shots. Robinson did get tagged with a technical against Ohio State and another at Texas, but his composure definitely has come a long way.

How has he accomplished that?

“I mean, I’ll just say that I know I can’t afford to get a technical,” Robinson said. “That’s going to hurt my team, me sitting down, for one. Two, when I was younger, it was easier to get riled up and in a pushing contest with somebody and you forget about the game. But now that I’m older, I know it’s probably in some other player’s game plan to try to get in my head. But at the same time, I’m too important to my team to let that be a reason I’m not playing.”

Added responsibility can make a person crumble, or it can inflate the confidence of the individual. Clearly, Robinson has responded well.

“It’s definitely a good feeling,” he said. “It’s like taking on responsibility that you ask for. I got exactly what I asked for. I’ve been waiting for it, and I got it. So now when you ask for it, you’ve got to take on responsibility.”

Forever facing defenses designed to stop him, Robinson is averaging 17.6 points, 12 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.2 steals. He dominated Oklahoma in an 84-62 victory Wednesday night with 20 points, 17 rebounds, four assists, two blocks and two steals.

Robinson had the crowd backing him with roars in that one. He’s not naive about what awaits him in Columbia.

“I’m on Twitter, so I see it all,” Robinson said.

And hears nothing.

“In the gym, as crazy as it sounds, you really don’t hear it because you’re in the game, man,” he said. “You’re not listening to the crowd, listening to what they’re saying. If you do, you won’t be any good, trust me. The only person I saw who did that was Sherron (Collins).”

Robinson doesn’t need to hear that garbage. He just needs the ball delivered on target, on time.

Comments

onelife09 2 years, 2 months ago

28, 28, 38, 48, 37, 29, 47.....Conner Frankamps last 7 games he played, including tonight.....Wichita has some good prospects coming up the next couple of years, keep your eyes open

Tom Gillaspie 2 years, 2 months ago

The best two-word response to anything related to misery basketball ---- Tyus Edney!

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

<--------------- Hey look, I found a picture of Miss Missouri!

missouricat 2 years, 2 months ago

Doug McDermott is the coaches son that's why he is a terrific player.

ku_foaf 2 years, 2 months ago

I am sure Robinson is a very tough guy, but he is a smart guy, too. He does not let opposing players goad him into doing something foolish that will get him thrown out. They constantly do things that try to revoke a physical response. He doesn't bite, because he wants to play and help his team! I greatly admire his restraint. He is a constant target.

I kind of wondered if Conner Teahan had taken advantage of the freshman Baylor player who took a swing at him. He had already committed a gross foul by grabbing Conner with his hands and shoving him behind him. All Conner had to do was crowd him a bit with the body (nothing illegal) and he lost it and was tossed. A very cool headed revenge!

Sally Presson 2 years, 2 months ago

Go HAWKS on Saturday night!!! I'm actually getting to go to the game, from the sounds of the MU message board, they are loaded for bear and all their nasty pranks. I'm so glad Thomas is ready for them and prepared for whatever they dish out. I'm wearing crimson & Blue no matter what!!! If you read of a 69 year old grannie put in jail for getting in a verbal scoffel with a MU fan, that will probably be me, hope not, but we've paid good money to get to see the hawks and I'll be darned if they're going to intimidate me. The OU game was outstanding guys, the house was packed and loud, you guys can take MU and how sweet it's going to be to win the final MU home game with KU. Can't think of anything better!!

Love the Jayhawks

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMfqo... made me laugh at their wackness Know your enemy, then laugh at them

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 2 months ago

T-Rob.....good luck!

Let their hate inspire you! Soak up their energy and unleash it on the other team. I have a feeling your inner Hulk is about to come out.....

ChicagoJHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you! Doug Gottlieb is very supportive of KU and Bill Self and I agree that he is very knowledgeable about the game. I really have no idea what everyone else is talking about and why they think he's a KU hater. Good to see that not everyone hates the guy; thought it was just me.

Anyway, I can't wait for the game tomrrow!!! It's almost like we have a big tournament game coming up. This is one of the best teams misery has had in years and I can't describe in words how awesome it would be to beat them in their house one last time. They can look back years from now, remembering their last big 12 game against KU was a big fat L, at their place!

sekjayhawkfan 2 years, 2 months ago

It's time to Occupy Mizzou Arena and remember that "Mizzurah has won no championships of any kind!"

RCJH

Micky Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

T-Rob scores 40. KU wins by 20, and that will shut em up in Columbia. Hearnes center would be empty by half time if KU comes out and blows em out of the water in the first half with 60 points on the board!

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

"All the odds are against us, but I want to get this ‘W,’ so I’m not letting anybody in that gym, stadium state, anything, start me. It is what it is. They can say what they want. We’ve got to get this ‘W.'"

I hope TRob's words are the example followed by our entire team because this is not a game TRob can win on his own. Nor can Tyshawn do it.

We need the entire team to buy into the plan to not be rattled and to go in there and play our game, not Mizzou's.

These are two good teams playing different styles. Only one team is going to control the game, and in doing so, win it.

When we play our game no college team in this country can beat us. When we don't play our game any and all college teams can beat us.

You only have to look back one game and see the contrast. We played OU to a draw in the first half and had we continued to play the same in the second half we could have dropped that game. The second half showed just how much better we are capable of being.

The ISU game was 40 minutes of not playing our game and we paid for it.

Which team is going to show up in Columbia?

Will EJ miss some treys and end up with a zero stat line?

Will TT bring a bunch of TO gifts to this opportunistic Mizzou team?

Will TRob return to playing with low energy?

Will we start out fast but end slow?

Will our bench produce anything more than a goose egg?

I hope we are ready for this one... because if we are not, we will leave Columbia for the last time with even a nastier taste than usual from the bottomless pit of humanity.

Come on... we gonna be trumped by 'Missouri Truckstop?'

Rock Chalk! Let's send these rednecks out in style to their new hillbilly conference!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

If the horrific "No Mom Tom" T-shirt rumor is true that would once and for all solidify Missouri's fan base as the pond scum of the earth.[with all apologies to actual pond scum].

The motivation for the Jayhawks would be nuclear.

I truly think, however, even the Antlers would not stoop to such low behavior..not so much out of moral indignation but rather fearing the "bulletin board material" effect on an already very dangerous opponent, the Kansas Jayhawks!!

JurisJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I hope T-Rob goes in there all business and dros 30+ in a W for us. Act like it's just another day on the job. #TeamFOE #nodaysoff

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 2 months ago

Reminds us that what we usually hate about the other team is its fans.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Tom Keegan, If you plan on voting Murray State 17th for the 4th consecutive week (As long as they stay undefeated) on Monday...........................please watch this video before you do your rankings!

"It's Murray State.........Racers!" "It's Murray State.................Racers!"

Timmay97 2 years, 2 months ago

We all want a win this Saturday night.......but remember, no matter what happens Saturday night, those guys STILL have to come to the Phog. Watch closely guys.....Missouri fans would be smart with their approach to this game.

Come out strong boys!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 2 months ago

First off, still can't believe DGB is goign to Mizzou. He did say however, that conference affiliation had nothing to do with it. Important to note, his mom has a masters from KU and this article talks about DGB's recruitment and if you go to the middle, she talks a bit about KU's pathetic attempt at recruiting him, and it had nothnig to do with our weak tradition, she wanted more effort. Wow.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Great Moments in Fizzouri Basketball"

...

indianajayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm all for personal ridicule, as long as its something that occurs during a game (Bill Walker's "power towel", anyone?) but I am more than disappointed when fans of any team resort to attacks like the t-shirts rumored to be in production referencing the personal challenges that TRob has had to overcome in the past year.

He has grown as a person and as a player more than any Jayhawk that I can remember and I'm proud that he puts on a Kansas uniform every week. I know that he'll hear things from the Mizzou fans (regardless of Frank Haith's speeches to the Antlers) that I wouldn't be able to handle without reacting, so I am even more impressed with his drive and determination as evidenced by this article.

Best of luck TRob and the rest of the team tomorrow, Jayhawk Nation is behind you!

Abdu Omar 2 years, 2 months ago

Of all the good and great players that played for the KU Jayhawks, I think Thomas Robison is the most competent player we have had. Through out his tenure at KU and through all the adversity he has faced, there never was a man who could endure it and come out better for it than TROB. I am really proud of the way he has responded to all of the adversity and if he doesn't come out on top, it is not for not trying. He is the best I have seen.

To him and the rest of an amazing team, go get those tigers who are really pussy cats.

hotrodm 2 years, 2 months ago

MIZ-ZOO has some of the most classless fans in the country. Just watch Jack Harry's, Jack's Smack. He is a big loud mouth MIZ-ZOO homer, TV sportscaster in KC. If you're not fired up about beating MIZ-ZOO just watch the videos on Jack's Smack, NBC Action news. I think Self should play Jack's anti KU videos to the team today.

somebodynew 2 years, 2 months ago

Mizzou jokes aside (I do like them, tho), I love what TRob said, He has been asking for this and when you ask for "it" you better be ready.

Good attitude TRob, now go show them how ready you are!!!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Some Challenging Questions for Fizzourians"

• How do you spell cat?

• Where is Missouri's best meth lab?

• Is there a drug store left in Missouri with any sudafed?

• How soon after joining the SEC will Fizzouri begin flying the Confederate flag?

• How do you spell dog?

• When will the next dead person be elected governor of Missouri?

• Can a Fizzouri football coach win sober?

• Will Frank Haith accept this year's Kelvin Sampson Award for Cellphone Abuse?

• How do you spell lose?

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey T-Rob, You've got just what those MizLosers can't stand, and that is POISE! All you need to drive them really crazy is to just give the your A+ game, and then watch them all head for the exits early so they can get home and slop the hogs!!

have fun with those horny boys called the antlers, or is it the Aunt Nerds?? Just blow them some kisses after a good dunk!! WOO HOO!!

R O C K C H A L K , J A Y H A W K, K U !!!!!!!!!

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 2 months ago

Doug or who I like to call Duke Gottlieb picked creighton's player over Trob....I've lost all respect for him

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Check out the voting for National POY, on the ESPN.com NCAA BB page. In this, I believe it's the second installment, TRob is leading with 130 points to about 70 for second place, with about ten players in the mix. TRob's gained about 38 points over the first/previous vote. The voting is from the national sports writers (I believe), so it's not open for the general public to vote. The players earn 3 points for a 1st place vote. Two for second place, and 1 for a third place vote.

As the article mentions, the games over the next week or two will either cement TRob in first place, or if his production drops off drastically, he could drop out of contention.

Come on TRob. The whole Jayhawk Nation is behind you, and would love to see you win. You deserve it more than any of the other candidates. And if KU wins the Big 12, I don't see how anyone else could win it.

RCJH Go TRob!!!!