Thursday, December 20, 2012

KU’s annual spring football game set for April 13

Kansas receiver D.J. Beshears takes off for a touchdown on a reverse during the first half of the Spring Game on Saturday, April 28, 2012 at Kivisto Field.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis announced Thursday that this offseason’s annual spring game will take place April 13, 2013.

Weis did not reveal a kickoff time but said the game was moved up a couple of weeks in order to avoid interfering with the Kansas Relays (April 17-20) and to allow his coaching staff more time to recruit.

Spring football will begin March 5, and the Jayhawks will squeeze 14 practices and the spring game into a six-week period, with the players getting the week of spring break to themselves.

Calling all leaders

With 23 seniors leaving the program and many of the returning upperclassmen lacking meaningful playing time, a new group of leaders seems to be emerging inside the KU football complex.

From transfer quarterback Jake Heaps, who sat out 2012 after coming to KU from BYU, to sophomore linebacker Ben Heeney, who led the team and finished third in the Big 12 in tackles last season, and all kinds of guys in between, Weis said he made it very clear that the need for leadership was there.

“They’re gone now,” said Weis of KU’s former field generals. “So there’s a natural opportunity for (guys) to step up. If you have it in you, now’s the time to go ahead and show it. And it’s not just Jake, and it’s not just Ben, but there’s a bunch of guys that are kind of moved into that type of category.”

Asked if the number of potential leaders was greater than he expected, Weis was honest about his uncertainty.

“I didn’t know how many to expect,” he said. “But one thing, you can’t fake leadership; either you have it or you don’t have it. And when coaches try to make guys into leaders that aren’t leaders, guess what, it doesn’t work out very well. I’m hoping that some of the leaders on our team aren’t even here yet.”

Staff to return intact

After any 1-11 season, questions arise about whether all of a programs coaches will return the following season, but Weis made it clear Thursday that he expected his entire coaching staff to return for 2013.

“I told everyone there’s no one getting thrown under the bus,” Weis said.

The possibility exists, of course, that any one of Weis’ assistants could explore the idea of taking a job elsewhere, but KU’s second-year head coach did not seem to think that would be a problem.

“I said, ‘If I hear you’re looking for another job, I’m looking for another coach,’” Weis said. “It’s a very simple system. So I think you should expect us to be back intact.”

Grimes hired by Auburn

Former KU offensive line coach, J.B. Grimes, who worked under Turner Gill at KU in 2010 and 2011, has been hired by Gus Malzahn for the same role at Auburn.

Grimes, a native of Clarendon, Ark., coached under Malzahn at Arkansas State during 2012 and elected to follow the former Auburn offensive coordinator back to the SEC shortly after Malzahn was introduced as the Tigers’ new head coach earlier this month.

“J.B. is a tremendous coach who is one of the nation’s top teachers at the offensive line position,” Malzahn said in a statement released Wednesday night. “He played a vital role in our team’s success this past season.”

Grimes will coach Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl and will join Auburn shortly thereafter.

Comments

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 11 months ago

This offseason I'd like to hear some chatter about renovations of Memorial Stadium. Something's gotta get done.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 11 months ago

If nothing else, cover the chain linked fence and concrete wall with blue padding!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

You mean away from the multi-million dollar training facility we just built? You really didn't think about that one very long - right?

Dale Stringer 1 year, 11 months ago

First, fix the parking problem. Build a layered-garage on the west hill. On the NE corner, get rid of the track stuff and design the parking to get more tailgaiting in. People parked so hap-hazardly there that half the space was wasted.
Second, put in a second floor deck. Just span the concrete beems that are there. Shouldn't be to hard.

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

Frankly, I love Memorial and think it's one of the best and most historical venues in the country. I really don't know why people think it needs to be "upgraded." After all, we did an upgrade just a few years ago, and the place looks great! Everybody talks about the track, but what's the big deal? Every field needs at least 20 feet of margin between the field and the stands, whether it's a track or asphalt or whatever.

No better place in the nation to watch football on a Saturday afternoon!

danno1313 1 year, 11 months ago

I d rather see renovations to the team. Priorities. Just saying.

90sHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

And your 1 win prediction is based on what?

David Leathers 1 year, 11 months ago

The fact that we're still in the Big 12, we have many unproven players that will be starting next year, and quite simply, we're tired of being optimistic and being let down. I would rather predict a 1 win season and be wrong than predict a 6-7 win season and only get 1 win.

Don't think for a second, however, that I won't be tuned into every game next year! Rock Chalk!

90sHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't disagree there are many unknowns right now about next season. This is my point; how someone can predict a 1 win season on December 20th, 2012. I'd prefer to see how these newcomers shape up in spring ball, etc before I'd spout off a prediction like that. Also, its not only about what KU has, but what our opponents have lost and gained heading into next year. Not forecasting next season, but recruiting is going well for us at the moment.

escaped_labrat 1 year, 11 months ago

said the fairweather fan that roots for KU Basketball and KState football

Brad Farha 1 year, 11 months ago

Jayhawk470 -- it's hard to take your comment seriously when you suggested earlier that we move our stadium away from our new practice facilities and football offices/training center. I also want something better than what we have now in Memorial Stadium, but I think the way to go is improvement/upgrades to Memorial. Before we can do that, we have to sell it out for a few years.

I've lived in KC for 8.5 years, and 2012 was my 8th year having season tickets. I already can't wait to renew for 2013. The more of us do that, the sooner we get renovations.

danno1313 1 year, 11 months ago

You have season tickets for this disaster of a team? Not sure that is loyalty, more like insanity. It s like repeatedly paying to see an awful movie over and over. I like KU but I m not throwing away a lot of cash on the current product. A couple of games a year with FREE tickets and a parking pass are enough.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

The defensive coordinator returning, first time since 2009, and running the same scheme as the year before, first time since 2008, will equal the defense being significantly better next year. The defense can actually focus on getting better this offseason instead of learning a new defensive scheme. That will make a huge difference next season and result in better play from the defense.

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not afraid of being optimistic. The world isn't going to end if we're disappointed.

7-5.

Here are the wins.

Texas Tech Baylor Iowa State Rice Louisiana Tech South Dakota TCU

Jim Stauffer 1 year, 11 months ago

We will come closer to beating KSU at home than TCU on the road.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't know. The math doesn't really support your prediction.

TCU was 0-4 at home in conference play this year. Ft. Worth isn't exactly a tough road environment.

Snyder has shredded KU 115-37 in his last two trips to Memorial. He circles, underlined, highlights and stars the KU game every year, and he will until he's boxed and buried.

I'm definitely not putting any money against the spread vs. KSU until Bill Family Snyder is gone.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

I see 3 wins in your group at the most.

Texas Tech, Louisiana Tech, South Dakota.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

At home yes.

Remember, until proven otherwise, KU cannot wiin on the road.

pbouldenv 1 year, 11 months ago

Good list. Things will be rolling along nicely if we go 4-0. Plus, it would end the dreaded road loss streak and the conference losst streak. I can't wait for the season to start! The last three seasons have been very tough! RCJH

danno1313 1 year, 11 months ago

KU is a long way from seven wins. One win to seven is a huge jump. Texas won 8 games this season and their athletes are far superior to KU. I know they barely beat KU. There are only wins and losses. I d take four wins next year. I expect three.

rtwngr 1 year, 11 months ago

Grimes might be a pretty good coach. It's too bad that he hitched his wagon to a loser like Gill. That kind of thing can stick with a coach a long time and doesn't wash off at all. The head coaches failures look like the assistant's failures after a while. That reasoning doesn't necessarily hold with Romeo Crenell. He's just a bad coach, period.

Shawn Darius 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll wait until the season starts. No kool-aid this time around. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah I admit...this time last year, the Kool-Aid tasted pretty good.

I'd assume we've all learned our lesson.

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

Can't believe the pessimistic nonsense I'm reading here. The '12 season can be looked at as a "practice year" for the Hawks, because of the impressive talent that was being developed during the year. Best running back (and best running back trio) in the Big 12, best QB, best head coach, best coaching staff, and one of the best recruiting classes in the conference. KU is going to be a huge surprise next year, not just in the Big 12 but also nationally. I'm expecting nothing less than a Big 12 title, top 10 finish and a BCS bowl (maybe even the big one).

hawkdds 1 year, 11 months ago

For those of us who can no longer walk the hills and can't donate 10,000 a year to the williams fund to park at the door, parking is the #1 reason we stay at home even though we'd love to be there in person. The atmosphere and scenery are second to none but I don't have an answer, fortunately most of the games are now televised.