Kansas defeats Richmond, 87-59

• 6 p.m., Dec. 18, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Planet Withey: KU center moves up blocks list as Jayhawks rout Richmond

Kansas defenders Elijah Johnson (15) and Jeff Withey swoop in to defend against a shot by Richmond guard Kendall Anthony during the first half on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after Richmond win

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after the Jayhawks' 87-59 victory over Richmond on Dec. 18, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Naadir Tharpe and Jeff Withey

Elijah Johnson, Naadir Tharpe and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 87-59 victory over Richmond on Dec. 18, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Richmond

Scot Pollard, who played 11 years in the NBA, believes another Kansas University center from San Diego will have a similarly successful career in the pros.

“Absolutely,” the 6-foot-11 Pollard said Tuesday night, asked if KU senior Jeff Withey has the ability to play in the NBA, starting next season. Pollard, a TV color analyst, was speaking after Tuesday’s 87-59 rout of Richmond — a game in Allen Fieldhouse in which Withey blocked four shots and passed Pollard for fifth place on KU’s all-time rejection list. The 7-foot Withey also had 17 points off 7-of-9 shooting with a season-high 13 rebounds.

“As we know the last few years, Jayhawks have been getting drafted and not playing a lot because their height has been exposed. Jeff’s height cannot be exposed. He’s 7-feet tall. He’s a legit ‘footer,'" Pollard added. “In the NBA, sometimes all you need to be as a 7-footer is a guy who can block shots and rebound. As long as Jeff can keep that mindset he has now, not worry about scoring but blocking shots and rebounding first, then the scoring comes.”

Withey had four more highlight-reel blocks versus the Spiders, upping his total to 219, one more than Pollard and just 39 off Greg Ostertag’s record total of 258.

Withey’s two most spectacular plays, Tuesday, however, were steals. He had two thefts early in the second half and passed ahead to Travis Releford both times for assists on the break.

“Coach said it was going to happen. He told me to run through it (and steal the ball up top). The first time I didn’t think they were expecting it at all. They did it again,” Withey said. “I like to pride myself on being a pretty good passer. Travis made it easy for me.”

It’s not often 235-pounders like Withey can shuffle their feet quick enough to get in position for steals that lead to layups.

“Early in Jeff’s career, people wanted him to be a different type of player,” said Pollard, who joked that he is still “the best San Diegoan in KU history.” Both Withey and Pollard are from S.D.

“They wanted him to be a banger and mess people up inside. That’s never been Jeff’s game. He’s always played this way, he just didn’t know how to display it. Last year and this year he’s finally been able to play Jeff Withey-style basketball. As Jayhawk fans are seeing now, it’s a pretty effective way of playing basketball.”

KU coach Bill Self was impressed, noting: “There’s no question who the best player of the game was ... Withey was terrific, denying elbow passes and leading the break.”

Withey scored 11 points off 5-of-7 shooting and had eight boards the first half as KU stormed to a 39-18 lead and never felt threatened the second half.

“They played a weird defense, so a lot of times I got matched up with a guard on the post. That made it a lot easier,” Withey said.

The (9-1) Jayhawks held Richmond to 32.8-percent shooting. The Spiders (9-3) hit nine of 32 threes, four of 16 the first half.

“Our scout team did a great job preparing us,” Withey said. “We knew they could shoot. We keyed in on that. We knew exactly what they were going to run because our scout team did such a great job.”

Ben McLemore scored 14 points, while Releford had 11 and Naadir Tharpe a career-high 11 off 4-of-5 shooting. KU hit 59 percent of its shots, including six of 16 from three.

“We controlled the game pretty well from start to finish tonight,” Self said. “Our biggest lead was 37. Our biggest lead against Belmont was 41 and our biggest lead against Colorado was in the 40s (in last three games, all at home and all routs).

“Our defense was good. We didn’t turn them over (Richmond had eight turnovers to KU’s 12) but we didn’t give up any backdoor layups (vs. Princeton-style offense). We were pretty efficient and had a good, balanced effort.”

One led by Withey, whose next target is Eric Chenowith, who had 242 blocks at KU. Nick Collison had 243, Cole Aldrich 253 and Ostertag 258.

“It’s definitely a goal of mine, eventually get to the top,” Withey said. “I’m more happy with the win than my individual stats.”

Noted Pollard: “I’m happy for Jeff. There’s four guys ahead of him now that will be happy if he passes them as well, all the way up to Greg Ostertag. I wish Jeff success. I think he has a chance at it (block record), and I hope he gets it.”

KU will meet Ohio State at 3 p.m., Central time, Saturday, in Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

chezlog 1 year, 8 months ago

Jeff was awesome. His two steals and assists were the highlight IMHO.

jayhawkjunior 1 year, 8 months ago

The steals and subsequent assists were fantastic. I liked the strong dunk while getting fouled by the big guy. The Withey of the past doesn't get the two plus one.

JayhawkNNE 1 year, 8 months ago

Those were great!! At first, I thought they had cut back to a highlight!!! This team has really grown more in the last three to four weeks than I've seen a HCBS team grow in a while. I've been extremely impressed. I been a huge Releford fan, and its great to see the guy have a great senior year!!!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I like it.

I had previously been calling him, "The Lion."

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Some Post-Game Observations:

-I think Jeff Withey could play PG. Got two steals on the perimeter and ran two flawless breaks for lay-ups. Point Guard Withey Baby! "Kansas' Point Guard averages 5.6 blocks a game".

-Tyler Self's "TJ Whatley Stache" is simply impressive. I can see the elder Self saying to his son in practice, "I bet the ladies love the stache, Tyler".

-Has anybody else noticed that when ESPN shows the hallway with all the KU banners that they keep showing the banner with "13 Final Four's"? I haven't been to Allen Fieldhouse since 2001 so I don't know where that hallway is, but is that ESPN showing an old clip of that hallway or does KU still have that banner up? It needs to say "14 Final Four's".

-Rio is athletic, Wow! Still reckless at times, but I love the one handed dunk in traffic.

-Tharpe's pull-up 3 pointer with zero passes got him an ass chewing, but he came out of it nicely with a career high and a nice no-look pass to Withey.

-Not one rebound for Perry Ellis in 16 minutes. Interesting. Love his footwork.

-I think it's safe to say that right now AWIII is definitely "Streaky".

-EJ still can't beat anybody off the dribble.

-Would have loved to have seen Tyshawn Taylor and Ben McLemore in the same backcourt.

-Travis Releford may end up being Kansas' best "Glue Guy" of all-time. Going to be hard to beat Darnell Jackson, but T-Relly is playing awesome.

-Love KY's energy. I wonder why? Hmmmmmm. KY's biggest attribute is being a positive spark plug for Perry Ellis and showing him the way.

Dan Harris 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree with most of your points but EJ beat his man off the dribble several times,two for left handed lay ups and one led to BMacs vicious slam.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with those two points, but it was only two times in 28 minutes. I think EJ is a great kid, says all the right things, but from a basketball standpoint he has consistently never met my expectations as a player up to this point of his career.

Yes, he has had the nagging knee injury over the last month, but even before that he never consistently got to the rim or got in the paint to create for others. Still, he is doing most of his damage floating around the perimeter and fortunately for him B-MAC and Relly are hitting their perimeter shots which is resulting in his great assist average.

Ohio State will be a huge test, but I am definitely interested like everybody else if EJ has that "Extra Gear". So far, IMO I've never seen it, but hopefully it will come out against Ohio State and as KU gets closer to conference play.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 8 months ago

This is kind of a bizarre comment considering that EJ made huge plays down the stretch in every single game of our Final 4 run last year. We don't get there without him. Sure, he underachieved in his first two seasons, but last season alone should weigh the balance back in his favor, as far as whether he's had a good KU career or not.

And to dismiss his assist numbers is even more absurd. Quite a few of those, in this game and others, have been alley oops. It's not just that guys are shooting well -- he's finding them when they're open.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I don't dislike EJ, in fact I think he's a great kid. I just don't like his game and IMO his "True Game" is being shown this year. EJ's flaws could be hidden last year with T-Rob and especially with TT as his backcourt mate.

Look, I like EJ and I am glad he's a Jayhawk. I just wish he was more of a true point or a scoring guard. We'll know pretty quickly on Saturday on how he matches up with Aaron Craft and Smith Jr.

I am not trying to be negative, just a simple observation and opinion from my perspective. Like I said, UP TO THIS POINT this is how I feel. My opinion might change on Saturday against Ohio State. Just like Bill Self's opinion might change after Saturday depending on the outcome.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Let me rephrase above......."I don't like his overall game". I am glad he is a spot up shooter, but I just wish he got his hands dirty a little more and took more chances getting in the crease/paint and making things happen in the heart of the defense instead of the outer edges of the defense.

You know, it's funny, from my perspective I see some of the same things in EJ as I did Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed. EJ does great for the offense because he runs the offense, keeps the ball moving, and keeps that symmetry within the offense.

However, EJ was given extra talent and god given athletic ability that he doesn't utilize all the time. Maybe it's his knee, maybe it's something else, but IMO we haven't seen it all yet. We may never see it, but I am hoping to see something "More" come Saturday and the rest of the season.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't dismiss EJ. He is a very good point guard. Before this seaon is over, he will show everyone he's the best point guard since....maybe Jacque Vaughn.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

I am not discounting EJ, but I do think it's funny you mentioned Jacque Vaughn. If I were choosing PG's to play in a Kansas uniform, I would pick Adonis Jordan, Cedric Hunter, Aaron Miles, Kevin Pritchard, Sherron Collins, and even Tyshawn Taylor over Jacque Vaughn. But that's just my opinion. :)

One thing to note also is that Jacque Vaughn since the Modern Day of Basketball in 1985 is the only Kansas Point Guard not to make a Final 4.

JayhawkNNE 1 year, 8 months ago

Tyshawn and McLemore would have been great to see in the same backcourt!!! Maybe TT comes back for summer ball... I know where I'm taking my wife and kids for summer vacation!!

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

...right about Adams, and even though he followed each good play with a mistake (got beat by his man after his first basket, made a bad play after his second), he's got the talent to be a critical player next year, and you better bet that Self knows exactly what he needs to do in handling Rio to get him where he needs to be. This is Self's greatest strength, among many, great strengths, as 'bate has expounded on many many times.

Rock-solid prediction: forget the transfer talk, Adams needs to be brought along with the carrot and stick, and will be our starting 2 next season along with Tharp and White

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

I am praying for the Hawks to explode all over OSU! It would be amazing to see those guys go into Columbus and put it on them. Wouldn't it be great to see BMac explode for 30 ... EJ dish 10 dimes ... Withey block 10 ...TRel shut down Craff ... Ellis pull it together.... KJ run down 4 50/50 balls....White III hit a hot streak! All in one game on the Buckeyes home court!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

AW3 did not have his best game but he did the other things he needs to develop. He went after loose balls, worked hard when on defense and didn't force any bad shots.

Streaky is probably a fair call but I think he will put it all together at some point this year.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

This Jayhawk squad has shifted toward monster defense. I suppose that all those close games last season have clouded my memory, but I don't recall, in the Bill Self era, 3 consecutive 30 pt. blowouts of teams who are predicted to finish well in their conferences. Only 3 weeks ago, Coach was publicly calling out his team by lamenting over scoring woes. His mojo seems to be in optimum orbit vs. Colorado, Belmont, Richmond. I know, I know, any early optimism must await outcome of the big top ten contest Saturday on a court far distant from AFH....

bradynsdad 1 year, 8 months ago

Gotta admit that cross over and one handed jam was sick. Probably the best play of the night. Self has to be so frustrated with Rio simply for that fact. He comes out and plays like he's at the Y then on the next play looks like Dwayne Wade. Hope Rio figures it out soon.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

With the exception of Wilt, I don't think KU has ever had a player controlling the game defensively the way Withey can. He has to be accounted for in every possession by the opponent. All his numbers have been racked up in one and a half seasons. He is longer, more active and athletic than those ahead of him on the block list. Last night, he was even sprinting block to block to help set up the transition game. His improvement since his arrival at KU has been nothing less than stunning. ..

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

The thing I notice about Jeff is that he can be way out of position and still get the block. I'll never forget the first time I saw him warming up, at a Late Night, I was really surprised by how well he jumped. Seven foot white guys don't typically jump that high. I also remember he was maybe the skinniest player I had ever seen. Hudy has definitely worked her magic.

Speaking of Jayhawks from San Diego, I believe Paul Mokeski was also from that area. He spent quite a few years in the NBA as well. That area has been pretty good to KU.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

oh yea! Mokeski, Ken Koenig, John Douglas, Brad Sanders, Chris Barnthouse ... remember those guys very well.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

Big Mo! He played about 13 years or so. Was well liked in Milwaukee.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

Anrio Adams can ball, no doubt. Typical freshman growing pains. Every freshman on this team is going through a developmental stage. Conference is going to be a great learning experience for these young men. The only freshman that looks comfortable is McLemore, and he already had the second half of last season, in the system. This is why I prefer Coach Self's developmental system over a One and Done Factory. I like watching the maturation process of student athletes. Also, earning a four year degree from Kansas says a lot!

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

Exactly. He's been frustrated for similar reasons as Selby. He's got the game, but doesn't know yet how important it is to give everything over to Self at this stage so he can get to where he needs to be next year, which is a starter who knows how to play in the system. He'll be there as long as he's taken care of psychologically and is smart (and patient) enough to understand the process. It was clear from last night that Tharp is a good example of how much development takes place from Freshman to Soph. years. He's looking like a solid point guard now that will be ready to lead the offense next season, and will need Adams beside him after he takes the next step

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you. I prefer a proven winning basketball program over a One and Done Factory. I love watching student athletes!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Comet, I know chances are that BMAC will leave. I hope he has a moment of clarity that his current level of maturity is linked to being a Jayhawk for a year, learning. I'm old, broke, and I cannot imagine having the kind of talent this young man has. He is a rare exception, I love watching young men develop in the Jayhawk system. If we never took another OAD I'd be delighted. I understand the fear of injury, financial freedom etc. I do wonder if Selby, Henry ever wish they would have stayed. Anrio has the chance to be a stellar success story, Russ Rob type and beyond. thanks

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I sincerely hope that Rio can hang in there and wait for his Jayhawk time to come. The kid has some splendid game tucked within his too eager aspirations. And ATTITUDE! (No one is gonna stop me from behind the back dribbling!) If Rio had undergone the same paths as Ben and Jamari a year ago, we would see a player whom Bill Self could not restrain from playing 10 minutes per game at this stage of his career. Anrio Adams is going to light up some stat sheets before departing from Division 1 Basketball.

John Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

I just hope it's more than one game, ala Josh.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

It's interesting that after Rio's comments on Twitter after the Belmont game he hasn't tweeted since. I'm guessing someone got to him and started working on an attitude adjustment as well as a possible Twitter ban.

Put me squarely in the camp of those who hope he sticks around. That drive and dunk were sick! Yes, he made mistakes, but you can see the potential. In another year he should be in a position to make a significant difference. Plus, like you say, he has that attitude this team needs.

John Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

The ATTITUDE comment above was about his asinine determination that "No one is gonna tell me how to play!"

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

My bet would be Self or another coach or staffer went to EJ or another player and then EJ went to Rio. Heck, maybe Self even sat down with him and told him to just be patient and his time would come but he can't go around tweeting negative things.

Self wants swagger?

Rio's got swagger.

Its crazed swagger right now, but its swagger.

Rio and Perry offer case studies in opposite extremes of adapting to Self Ball.

Perry is nearly perfect in his role, but cannot explode out of it...yet.

Rio is nearly perfectly explosive, but cannot play his role...yet.

Perry has the nearer path over the razor's edge.

But Rio has the more inevitable path.

John Wooden always said he would rather try to tone down a young man with enormous fire, rather than try to light a fire under a boy without one.

Obviously, Perry has a big fire and wrapped in XTReme Discipline, so all Self has to do is back off the discipline a bit by taking him out of his comfort zone long enough for the draft to fan up his flames.

But Anrio Adams is a three alarm blaze that needs a fire wall built around it.

But never lose sight of the fact, as Self never will, that OMG, these two could be a terrible twosome in one, or two, seasons.

Watching Anrio is EJ Deja Vu all over again (thanks Yogi).

EJ has to feel for Rio.

But just like no amount of arm wrapping and wisdom by Tyshawn et al could help EJ get through the wildness and cross court passes to no one (or my favorite--to Self), neither can EJ doing the same for Rio make his path any easier to navigate.

"The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard," --a verse in the Katha- Upanishad

But EJ can at least speak authoritatively that he went through it and made it.

And here we only speak of basketball salvation, not eternal soul salvation. :-)

Rock Chalk!!!!

AsadZ 1 year, 8 months ago

Gary Bedore

Can you show a statistics of Jeff Withey blocks/min and compare this with other top KU shot blockers.

The reason I am interested in seeing this data is that Withey only played 3 mins and 11 mins per game in his 1st and 2nd year respectively. Thus I am assuming that his blocking efficiency is better than say Cole, Collison, Ostertag etc. This data would confirm it.

John Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

The most impressive 'data' would be the number of his blocks which end up in another KU possession.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

his numbers per min. compared to the rest of the list would be off the charts; I'm guessing not even in the same ballpark. Collison and O started as freshman, and played a TON from soph. year on. Jeff's done all of his damage essentially in a season and a half so far. crazy...

hucking_fawks_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

Another great thing about Jeff is that the guy has already graduated. He has absolutely nothing to focus on except basketball right now. I can't wait to see how this season unfolds for him. I'm rooting for the block record to be beaten this year, and Jeff's a guy that can do it!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

• Pollard is about experience reduced access. :-)

• Pollard is insightful about Jeff finally being allowed to be skinny. Self is human. Prisoner of experience of XTReme Muscle. But Self, or someone on staff deserve huge credit for having the courage and flexibility to change and let him play skinny. His weight could still be exploited, but it's been a daring enterprise so far.

• Naadir turned another corner. He is now not just a backup, but a complement to to EJ.

• EJ stumbled a bit, but I expect him exploding vs. Ohio State.

• Jelly was MOST UNDERRATED player in this game. He is the battery on this team--THE DIEHARD. He is efficient and gives the team whatever Self asks him to, and that varies game to game. ROY HOBBS LIVES.

•Jeff's two steals, transition and passing proves he is a Self Jedi now. When they keep it outside, explore out of your role and find a way to make a play. Jeff, in surfing lingo, those steals were "go outs." You get the George Greenough Award.

• Perry is where Trav was early last season. Learning the old man's game. He is a quick study. Explosions to come later this season. He will be okay. Jelly's good play has taken the pressure off him and he can now develop in a healthy way.

• Really need Jam Tray to find his warrior zone again. No joy in his eyes. Hang in Jam Tray. You will be sweet again. Ohio State is your kind of opponent. Be ready!!!!

Page Butler 1 year, 8 months ago

Jelly? What? Huh?

Okay I get it, but really?

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Totally agree, especially re: Naadir. He's really a combo-guard, so seeing him finally becoming a factor on this team while playing alongside EJ is great. He's a great passer and shooter and he's starting to not be such a liability on defense.

As with everyone, I see the potential in Rio and he does have a high ceiling (probably higher than Naadir's). But right now Naadir has been chosen for that role and he's really coming around. It would be a major mistake to play Rio over Naadir at this point. Rio just has to be patient. His time will come.

Swish.

But Rio would do well to remember that injury lurks every moment of every day all season. In the blink of an eye, Rio could be number two on the depth chart. In another blink, he could get a baptism of fire. EJ's knee is precarious. Naadir is a relatively small fellow without an overpowering build. We tend to forget that this is still pre-conference; this is still effectively touch football about to turn into tackle football after January 1--maybe even vs. Ohio State this week.

Be ready, Rio.

Shizz happens.

KULA 1 year, 8 months ago

Is "Jelly" a team nickname or just something some on this board are trying to hang on Kevin? If the latter, please don't. It seems distasteful and kind of demeaning.

KULA 1 year, 8 months ago

Funny, both ralster & HEM, but also perfect examples of what I'm talking about.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yea, you're not supposed to eat that stuff. Come on, KULA.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Little help? I watched the game streamed on a lap top. Started out crystal clear, then I was in a 60's bad acid trip. The only thing I was certain of was there were 2 teams. RULE QUESTION? Did I see that Richmond was rewarded a fresh clock after a Hawk foul? Twice? Does any type of foul reward the offensive team a fresh clock besides a technical? Thanks, monk the rules moron. BTW avoid the 4-way blotter sheets with the picture of mickey mouse on them.

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

The shot clock always resets after a foul. It doesn't reset if the ball is knocked out of bounds. Also the clock doesn't stop if forward progress was stopped inbounds before being pushed out of bounfds...wait that's football.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Game Night Observations as viewed from the Waste Land.

1] If the announcers thought Scott Pollard looked weird last night.........!!

2] We may have the best big man [Jeff], the best freshman [BenMac], the best fifth year senior [Travis], the best sixth man starting [Kevin] and the best Coach [HCBS] in all of Division 1. If you fellow posters feel I'm over the top, please feel free to throw a biucket of cold water on my face to wake me up!

3] I have a new name for a game designation...if we play a "CSG", "Coach's Son Game", that means we destroyed someone!!

4] In the last two games, I've seen enough from AWIII and 'Rio to hope we are still talking about them in 2014!!

5] KU Head Coach = Windshield, OSU Head Coach = Bug...Bug, meet Windshield!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

PS 6] Elijah Johnson is starting to look like,...well...Elijah Johnson!!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Perry is the best sixth man.

Jelly makes it increasingly clear he is our best 4. Period.

Hate to say it, but it's no longer close...whether Self starts him or not.

Kevin is going to make ton of money overseas. And if he works on his J, he might crack the L as a backup.

Jelly is very good. Its why Fish was so ticked to lose him.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 8 months ago

Oakville you may be over the top, but as a big Jayhawk fan I'd like to think your accurate. I might be biased though.

I am loving the way this team has picked it up the last four games and your "CSG" is pretty good. The wife loves it when T Self gets in the game-but she wants him to shave the stash. My daughter is a huge Withey fan and went nuts when he got those steals/assists.

Gosh, BMAC and Withey are so fun to watch! One of my new favorites is TV shots of our starters sitting on the bench late in the game and going nuts when our scout team makes a big play. Lot's of love and respect for sure. This team is TIGHT!!!

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 8 months ago

One more thing. I hope you are right about the bug and the windshield, but I think it will be a battle. It would be nice if we could build a 10+ point lead early and keep it.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 8 months ago

When I see no drop off even if the Freshmen are in the game I realize how great a coach and coaching staff we have. Loved the chemistry and watching Ellis doing things the right way on defense. He is closer to being the starter, even thou KY was almost perfect on the stat sheet last night. The announcer during the Belmont game gave love to the fans, calling them the smartest in the country. Watching Freshman mature to reach their great potential is a thrill for all Jayhawks. The Seniors have taught them well. BIG BIG TEST Saturday on national TV. Who will guard Craft?

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Oak I think you are right on all points.

JB you are correct about our best four.

Loved the Magic Johnson "no look" by Tharpe.

No one can tell me the buckeyes aren't a little nervous about saturday.

KULA 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting that Pollard comes in an nails it right off the bat about Jeff. Hopefully, we won't hear any more dumb comments about Jeff getting "Hudy-ized." Simply wasn't ever gonna happen on his frame.

Naadir has obviously nailed down the #2 point position, as evidenced by Bill's encouraging him to shoot in the audio. "He's a good shooter." Duh! But I'm confused about Bill's confusion about Naadir's confusion over his role. Earlier in the season, Bill complains because our points can't get a foot in the paint, then he tell's Naadir not to drive but to shoot the open three. But all's well that ends well--this team is GELLIN' like a FELON.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

"Rotation Nickname File 12.19.12 Update"

Jeff Withey--Blockzilla (new...to me...maybe someone else already came up with it though)

Kevin Young--Jelly (no change, though he will always be Roy Hobbs to me)

Travis--Harrier (a jump jet capable of vertical take off, ground support, and aerial dog fights)

BenMac--McDraft (cause he's going to go high)

Elijah Johnson--The Prophet (that can never change)

Perry Ellis--The Designer (no change)

Naadir Tharpe--The Complement (new, because he can now bring a game complementary to what EJ brings)

Andrew White III--Trimeter (not just a line with three metrical feet, but according to jaybate's Book of Basketball Mythology, Trimeter was the demi god of the three).

Jamari Traylor--Jam Tray (no change, because he's still sweet even though he's struggling right now)

Post Script: Whenever Anrio makes it into the rotation, his nickname will be Rio Grande.

Rock Chalk!!!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

No, on second thought, Rio will be Rio Bravo. :-)

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Jaybate, last year I posted in an attempt to motivate Jeff and called him "HAWKZILLA". "BLOCKZILLA" in light of his development maybe better. What about "BLHAWKZILLA"? thanks, monk

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Whatever keeps him BLHAWKING shots. :-)

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Question: Did that really look like the "Princeton" to you guys last night? I mean just a handful of attempts inside the arc, not a single backdoor cut and really we could have scored 100 on them. Not a typical score vs. the princeton. Like Jaybate says the princeton is designed so you don't lose by "too much."....Fail!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

You raise a great point, Redlandsjhawk. That did not look at all like any conventional Princeton.

Neither did the Princeton run by Craig Fertig and Oregon State. Oh, you see bits and pieces of Princeton cuts in both teams, but not the the dense packing and determined run through of the six basic options.

Here is my hypothesis of what is happening to the Princeton.

The Princeton advocates have always been a bit of a Pete Carril cult. Most were more rigidly devoted to it than Pete Carril himself, as Carril proved in his years in the NBA, where the thing began to morph into unrecognizability.

John Thompson 1.0 was the first to use only bits and pieces of the Princeton. But his team's weren't successful because of offense. Thompson was a pioneer XTReme Muscle Baller. He won with intimidation on defense.

John Thompson 2.0 has until recently come down some where in between the pure Princeton and his father's Princeton bits and pieces.

The nob out at the Airforce Academy, Jeff Bzdelik, who took over Boulder Juco, ran the Princeton the most religiously, and became the laboratory rat Self got to practice on to show the world how to defend and beat the orthodox Princeton. So: BZuzz Bzzzzzdelik high tailed it away from Self down to Wake Forest.

Bzdelik at CU: 10-38 in B12 conference Bzdelik at WF: 5-27 in ACC conference

Yes, you can say BZuuuzzzzzzz is rebuilding everywhere he goes,but you can also say the rebuilding never achieves turn around either.

This pretty much sums up what happens when you run the Princeton in orthodox fashion.

Craig Robinson at Oregon State has struggled with it also.

Robinson at OSU: 27-45 in conference.

Let's cut to the chase here. The offense was designed to be used when you had little talent. It was designed to keep games close and luck into a few wins; i.e., it was designed to prevent blow outs.

It does that very well. But it doesn't produce winning records any better than any other offense, when the talent is good, as it often has been at Georgetown, and it doesn't produce more rings either.

And because it is annoying and slow, it makes it harder and harder to attract talent to play.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

And when an opponent plays as much muscle ball as the Princeton team does, the Princeton team almost always loses.

So: why haven't Princeton coaches just junked it? Why do they claim to still use variations of the Princeton, when the variations they are using are effectively unrecognizable, and do not even keep the score close?

Because most of these coaches are hired by schools and athletic directors that want to be able to say their coach and team runs the "Princeton." The word adds some luster. And if the school fancies itself an academic bastion, then using a coach that runs a Princeton style offense makes that academic bastion feel better about slumming it in basketball.

Bottom line, the Princeton is almost non existent now.

For those that never really saw it in its prime, on offense it is six plays full of cutting and picks designed to be run off in 25-30 seconds until an open look is had. Centers tend to run out and set picks away from the basket. Sometimes there are ball screens on the wings, though that frankly is more a part of the Dribble drive offense that was added to the Princeton routines.

On defense, Princeton orthodoxy requires playing zone defense, so as to slow the game down as much as possible.

Distilled the idea is hold trips to the lowest number possible, get the highest percentage shots, play horizontally to deny the opponents athleticism, slow it down to eliminate transition baskets, and force them to live and die with treys. And irritate them to death with fighting through picks.

It doesn't work any more because:

a) three point shooting keeps improving;

b) defenses keep getting better;

c) swallowing whistles allows defenses to bump the Princeton cutters out of their routes to the point that the timing of the defense is disrupted and the open looks don't occur with high frequency.

Next.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you very much. This is EXACTLY why I come to this site every day. Nowhere else can you get insight and education (and often amusement) in one place. Thanks again to you, Oakville, Ralster, HEM, Aloha, and everyone else that's made this the greatest basketball site in the world. Merry Christmas and Rock Chalk.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

And a very merry to you, too.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

jaybate XTReme Sports Network (jXSN)

Dateline: Scott Pollard's XTReme Cortex

Slug: Pollard caught in tractor beam forced to reveal height/weight conspiracy

(jXSN)--Basketballers4Truth confirm broadcaster Scott Pollard has blown the cover off the Height/Weight Conspiracy at KU.

jXSN stringer Wylie Coyote Jones reports that these are the actual heights and weights of KU's current starters.

Jeff Withey: 7-0, 39 lbs. Kevin Young: 6-6, 12 oz. Travis Releford: 4-11, 225 lb. Ben McLemore: 16", 3 grams Elijah Johnson: 6-3, one metric ton

Self is said to be a fanatic about masking the unorthodox physical characteristics of his teams, which actually play the game much better than players with conventional characteristics. Self does not want to reveal his secrets about optimal height and weight unorthodoxy.

And, yes, the rumors that aliens from Fizzouri caught Pollard in a tractor beam in order to force Pollard to leak the truth about Self's subterfuge is apparently true. Both National Security Agency satellites and Elon Musk Space X ground radar confirm the tractor beam to have originated in Columbia Missouri and to have been bounced off a concavity in the ionosphere created by H.A.A.R.P. in Gakona, AK, and perfectly targeted on Pollard's head.

Pollard reports no recollection of the event, though he does recall dreaming of men in space suits with antler insignias.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Pollard's car, Marvin the Martian, is actually the Autobot Optimus Prime in drag!!

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Didn't I read that Tyshawn Taylor purchased that car a couple of seasons ago?

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Or perhaps he just borrowed it, back in his loony days....

Mark Wooden 1 year, 8 months ago

He is going have to "bang inside" in the NBA against same size and better players. Hopefully, gets in the right situation for playing time. The draft position is going give him the contract to stay on a team but doesn't guarantee any playing time.

Best of luck and keep working hard!

FarSideHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Apparently, We are officially out of the Dakari Johnson running. He is down to Georgetown, Syracuse, and of course, Kentucky.
Dave Telep thinks, Embiid coming to KU closed the door at KU for Dakari.

All in for Randle now!

FarSideHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

You mean we have no chance on Randle and would have to go to plan C. Isn't Etou ranked like 140 something?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Nah, I think we still have a shot at Randle .. just playin' the pessimist.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Then one thing is clear: Dakiri lacks the swagger needed to play here.