Monday, December 17, 2012

Close to home: KU’s Andrew White III familiar with tonight’s foe

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

photo

Kansas University freshman Andrew White III meets the press before practice on Monday, Dec. 17, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Andrew White III: Playing the 4 could open up room for Jeff Withey

Kansas freshman Andrew White III says playing the 4 should open up room for Jeff Withey underneath. White talked to reporters on Dec. 17, 2012.

A blue-chip basketball prospect living just 15 minutes from the University of Richmond’s campus, Andrew White III spent a lot of time with the Spiders’ players and coaches the past few years.

“I played pickup there probably twice a week. I played with their whole roster just about,” White, Kansas University’s freshman guard from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., said Monday in previewing today’s match-up between the Jayhawks (8-1) and Spiders (9-2), set for a 6 p.m. tipoff in Allen Fieldhouse.

“A couple of their guys hosted me on visits,” added White, who played against Richmond freshman Trey Davis five times in high school. Davis’ team won three of the contests.

“Their staff recruited me harder than anybody ever has. I had a great relationship with the staff. The unfortunate part of recruiting is calling the school you are close with and telling them you are not going there. I’m sure they understand I had a good situation in both places,” added White, who chose KU over Richmond, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Texas and Georgetown.

Here’s White’s scouting report regarding the Atlantic 10 Conference team, which is led by eighth-year coach Chris Mooney:

“They run that Princeton offense. On defense, they switch about everything,” White said of Richmond, which has defeated Wake Forest, Hampton, Liberty, North Carolina Wilmington, Wofford, William&Mary, Old Dominion, James Madison and Stetson and lost to Ohio and Minnesota. “We’re going to have to have our feet moving and be ready for backcuts if we are going to defend the team well. What they do in practice is perfecting that offense, moving as quickly as they can to get the ball moving, so we’ve got to be on our toes for this game.”

Junior guard Darien Brothers and sophomore forward Derrick Williams each average 14.8 points a game, while reigning A-10 rookie of the year Kendall Anthony averages 13.9 ppg and junior guard Cedrick Lindsay 10.7 ppg.

Formerly coached by Jerry Wainwright, Richmond defeated KU, 69-68, in Allen Fieldhouse during Bill Self’s first season at KU. The Jayhawks stopped the Spiders, 77-57, on March 25, 2011, in an NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 game in San Antonio.

“I watched that game live (on TV),” White said of the NCAA contest. “KU had guys like the (Morris) twins, Brady (Morningstar) ... as a matter of fact, four weeks ago, before I even looked to this game, I watched that tape along with the VCU tape (KU’s 71-61 loss in Elite Eight) to see what was going on a couple years ago. I have a fresh memory of that Sweet 16 game in my head.”

White is coming off his finest outing of the season. The 6-foot-6 guard/forward scored a career-high 15 points off 6-of-8 shooting while playing 10 minutes of Saturday’s 89-60 rout of Belmont.

“I have a lot of confidence going into this game,” White said. “I always try to be confident. Just because I had a good shooting game doesn’t change a whole lot for me. If I get in, I’m going to go with the same approach, play as hard as I can and contribute on both ends of the court.”

Of White, KU coach Self said: “I think he can add some things to our team. He’s another weapon. He’s learning, growing. He’s a fabulous kid. He just wants to try to fit in and help. He’s a guy you can put in there, and if he makes a couple (threes), great. If not, he’s good enough in other areas he’s not going to hurt us. I need to play him more, to be candid.”

Senior Travis Releford says he is confident when White (5.1 ppg off 50 percent shooting; 7-of-15 from three) enters.

“Andrew is one of the best shooters on our team. To see him with the confidence he has and coach has for him was a good feeling and good sign for our team,” Releford said of Saturday’s outing. “He’s always looked for his shot. Coach tells him to look for it, because he’s such a good shooter. He’s not going to keep him from shooting the ball.”

Comments

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Gosh...what a creepy Mascot....the Spiders!!

That ranks right up there with the Cummings Head Lice, the Wisconsin Elk-Ray Cheese, the Killian College Leaping Lepers and the Missouri Tiggers.

[Note: three are possibly fiction but one is a truly horrible reality!!]

JayHulk 1 year, 4 months ago

"He’s another weapon. He’s...growing."

HULK THINK HE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

AW3.....translation from the universal language of Karma..."Another Wonderful trifecta!!

William Blake 1 year, 4 months ago

How spot on is it that our biggest trey gun on the team has a "3" in his name?

Even my Ouija board gave direct instructions: "Feed the ball into AW3's hands..."

Jayhawkgirl2 1 year, 4 months ago

In articles our seniors have spoken very highly of Andrew White III Which I think says a lot about Andrew and even more about our seniors. I think this team has great chemistry and can't wait to see them in March.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Every good or great center benefits massively from a dedicated dead eye.

Alcindor had Shackleford.

Shack was a corner shooter that stretched the D to the side, which let Alcindor hook the other way and feed a cutter on the rare occasion the double could stop him.

Self wants AW3 out front because he unclogs the middle not only for Withey, but for our impact wings.

What will really make this work, when used occasionally, is if AW3 can pass after a look. If he is a sound passer with anticipation, then the defense has to worry about his first pass a huge amount. His first pass can go to either wing, or deep to Withey, or finally to a third combo guard back cutting baseline for the alley pop. Scary good strategy...if AW3 has the passing gene.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Every good or great center benefits massively from a dedicated dead eye.

Alcindor had Shackleford.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 4 months ago

Keep the Virginia pipeline open. I was wondering, when a player commits to KU, does Andrea give them a specific workout to prepare for their next year for strength and speed. Also, are the students given a list of things they need to work on before they get here? Jo Jo is the one who will need all the work he can get to be the big man starter for next year. KU has always had a BIG guy as part of the offense.

lawerencejayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Jaybate - your statment about Andrew Whites improvement started with the quote "I've never seen" I think as KU fans WE have never seen:

• A player with AWIII work ethic

• A player who picked his college basketball choice like a marriage (for better or worse)

• A player whose personal success is rooted in the success of the teamm

• A player whose IQ is off the chart

• A player who completely adjusted his game (defensively & offiensively) to the KU systaem in weeks NOT YEARS

• A player who can play multiple positions (X factor)

• A player whose best attribute is the final piece of the puzzle - consistant 3 point shots

• A player who is efficient by the minute. 10 minutes 15 points

• A player who values and respects the name on the front & back of his jersey and is proud of them both

Great players! Great coaches! Great team! Great fans! Go Jayhawks!!

RockChalkDoc 1 year, 4 months ago

"He’s a fabulous kid." - That is all HCBS recruits, with VERY few exceptions. That is why I love KU basketball and Coach Self. How can you not pull for these kids and him? I catch a lot of grief in my God forsaken state of Mizzery for being a Jayhawk fan. But our kids are daylight and dark in relation to MU's.
On another note, this team is so much fun to watch and can become a truly special team.

mikehawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Andrew White III has arrived and won't come out of the rotation soon. Amazing what happens when you work hard, do it right, have an NBA type body, and can put the ball in the whole from downtown. Humility and confidence are NOT mutually exclusive. He has both. Anrio! Take note. Usually when we say "tweener," we are talking about between a 3 and a 4 at the next level. See Marcus Morris. This guy is between a 2 and 3 at this level, and a legit 2 at the next. And, as we saw against Belmont, he can play 4 within certain matchups. This TEAM is coming together and Naadir is still standing. Slowly, slowly, he is getting better and the two aforementioned are giving Self maximum options which you will need at some point to pull one out. Let's see what happens tonight, and of course, this Saturday. Knowing HCBS, despite his feigned sadness for their presence at school over the holiday break in two-a-days, the man loves to use this time to get his team to another level for conference. Look what he did with them over Thanksgiving. Coach has his "got to get better we are awful talk poker face" going, but behind closed doors I think this group of coaches are busting at the seams regarding the potential this year and next. A coach's dream my friends. I am convinced, the best "overall" (recruiting, media and donor relations, coaching, respect of peers, stage of career, etc.) coach in America right now is Bill Self.

beebe1 1 year, 4 months ago

Perhaps the former roommate was the kid who quit due to concussion.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 4 months ago

I have not seen any update on the Randle visit. Did anyone notice him at the Belmont game? Seems like a good game for him to see.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Andrew's shots remind me of another Jayhawk that is still playing in his 14th year in the league. Can only hope he develops into that same kind of player. Keep working hard at it Andrew. We are all looking forward to seeing you develop at Kansas. Rock Chalk!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 4 months ago

Looked at the pics of AWIII & is a ringer for a very young Robert, The Chief, Parrish.

2008KUGrad 1 year, 4 months ago

AWII is going to be a really big factor for us, maybe not this year, but he will be a huge factor in bringing another National Title back to Lawrence. Rock Chalk!

I've met this kid & he is wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if he's coaching someday.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 4 months ago

Just what did I miss about his roomate? Was it Zack? Something has sure as heck changed since the comparison to, with all due respect, to Tehan. When I read that simile, I was taken a back somewhat, cause I'm as pumped about this kid as any freshman since Bill's been here. This is the type of guy that can go off for 20-30 most anytime out. A kid like this plays in a more wide open system & can lead the nation in scoring. Of course we know that is highly unlikely with HCBS, as it's too one-dimesional, or selfish, whichever you prefer. I said weeks ago AWIII had to get more PT & the boss must have listened...ya think? HEM...If the freshmen didn't play alot of check/switch D in HS we may see alot more of the seniors tonight. The constant yelling & efforts to communicate are pretty tough in a loud arena. I wouldn'tbe surprised to see some zone vs the creepy little crawlers.

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

There is a certain poise about this kid. At this point he represents the epitome of what Bill Self has to offer a talented newcomer who battles for minutes on a team loaded with starting experienced talent. Coach has inserted Andrew in upwardly spiraling minutes commensurate with his development in areas of weaknesses, knowing that his offense bears a dynamic which can absolutely explode at any time, potentially saving this squad from situations such as the VCU debacle. AW3 appears to possess the patience to enjoy the ride.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

I posted these "cautions" regarding White over the weekend --

-Caution (version 1): Ok, what are the odds White doesn't even play meaningful minutes on Tuesday? Right, pretty high. It is life under coach Self. Don't be surprised. But the boulder is rolling downhill here. That's good.

-Caution (version 2): White will have poor shooting stretches. Expect it. Embrace it. Because there's a 5 of 6 streak lurking there .. perhaps more than in any other player in recent KU history.

-Caution (version 3): He's still a freshman. He'll make boneheaded plays. He'll get burnt on defense. His defense is adequate .. not wildly smooth feet. He'll maybe snag 2 quick fouls reaching, or something. Don't be surprised. It's a work in progress.

-Caution (version 4): Allen Fieldhouse ain't Ames, it isn't Stillwater, it's not Manhattan -- and it sure as heck isn't some regional site trying to survive a mid-major, or other NCAA challenge. Pressure. Environment. Self has to get White meaningful time on the road in big games, to let him fail .. to let him go 1-6 from 3. To let him experience the pressure. It will make him better. It will make him ready. First test, Columbus, Ohio. Play the kid.

-Caution (version 5): Expectations. I'll say it now. Assuming playing time is there, he will go down as the greatest three point shooter in KU history. Boschee's 338 are on the radar. So I violated what I was cautioning against. Guilty.

tical523 1 year, 4 months ago

I love the attitude of this kid, he just get it and seems to carry himself very well. Hard work and humility is so refreshing in a time of me-me-me and "swag". I love the roster Bill has put together now and for the future (sucks to lose Z Peters), we have a lot of three and probably four year guys who are real quality young men. Even our current one and done seems to have no attitude of superiority or ego, he loves to play defense and smile with his teammates. Love this team and the path we are on.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 4 months ago

The other freshmen need to take note of how Drew carries himself.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

The Richmond game will be another interesting test to see if Self uses Withey to chase a Princeton center, or increases Jamari's PT.

Also, will Self allow switching generally, or make them fight through the picks?

If AW3's defense has achieved "won't hurt you" status, as per Self, then this seems a game where AW3 could see 15-20 minutes with some at 4 against Team Spider, if AW3 were hitting.

If AW3 gets minutes guarding a 2, or 3, in a Princeton, then AW3's D really has come a long way.

Michael Luby 1 year, 4 months ago

Woo hoo! I cant wait for this game!! Its my first AFH game since ostertag played.
Jaybate, I'll buy you a drink pregame, Im gonna be at Jeffersons.

*Still think Coach has to go 9 deep this year to make room for our seemingly infinite bench. RCJHGOKU!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

I've never seen the improvement of a player and a coach's trust in said player so closely coincide with a change of roommates and the announced departure of said roommate.

Its fascinating to read Self reportedly being candid about needing to play AW3 more at the same time time Trav reportedly notices Self now being confident.

Self even now thinks AW3 is a guy with a floor game that won't hurt you.

That is a remarkable change in 3 weeks from a guy, who could barely get in a game and from two weeks ago from a player Self likened to Conner Teahan.

Reality can be stranger than fiction.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

"Some Ways You Will Know If Josh Smith Chooses KU" (Note: Shameless re-post)

~University seismograph registers temblors at Allen Field House during wind sprints.

~Sealand Shipping Container parked by Allen Field House for use as Josh's locker.

~Price for midwest pork bellies skyrockets.

~OakvilleJHawk retained to design and sink pilings to bedrock under Naismith Court.

~Conveyor belt added connecting training table to new Butler building holding 5000 bushels of Wheaties.

~Ben Howland announced as Doc Sadler's assistant.

~Lawrence area steak houses begin advertising steel reinforced booths.

~10,000 gallon stainless steel milk reservoir added to roof of Jayhawker Towers with 1' diameter gravity flow black rubber tube connected straight to Josh's apartment.

~Lawrence area pizza joints begin advertising XTReme Deep Dish Pizzas 6' in diameter by 2' deep.

~Josh arrives in Lawrence by being parachuted out of a C5A Galaxy in a Humvee container.

(Note: all fiction. No malice)

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think I'll ever work myself up to watch the VCU game....talk about painful