Monday, December 17, 2012

Close to home: KU’s Andrew White III familiar with tonight’s foe

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

Kansas newcomer Andrew White.

photo

Kansas University freshman Andrew White III meets the press before practice on Monday, Dec. 17, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Andrew White III: Playing the 4 could open up room for Jeff Withey

Kansas freshman Andrew White III says playing the 4 should open up room for Jeff Withey underneath. White talked to reporters on Dec. 17, 2012.

A blue-chip basketball prospect living just 15 minutes from the University of Richmond’s campus, Andrew White III spent a lot of time with the Spiders’ players and coaches the past few years.

“I played pickup there probably twice a week. I played with their whole roster just about,” White, Kansas University’s freshman guard from Miller School in Charlottesville, Va., said Monday in previewing today’s match-up between the Jayhawks (8-1) and Spiders (9-2), set for a 6 p.m. tipoff in Allen Fieldhouse.

“A couple of their guys hosted me on visits,” added White, who played against Richmond freshman Trey Davis five times in high school. Davis’ team won three of the contests.

“Their staff recruited me harder than anybody ever has. I had a great relationship with the staff. The unfortunate part of recruiting is calling the school you are close with and telling them you are not going there. I’m sure they understand I had a good situation in both places,” added White, who chose KU over Richmond, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Texas and Georgetown.

Here’s White’s scouting report regarding the Atlantic 10 Conference team, which is led by eighth-year coach Chris Mooney:

“They run that Princeton offense. On defense, they switch about everything,” White said of Richmond, which has defeated Wake Forest, Hampton, Liberty, North Carolina Wilmington, Wofford, William&Mary, Old Dominion, James Madison and Stetson and lost to Ohio and Minnesota. “We’re going to have to have our feet moving and be ready for backcuts if we are going to defend the team well. What they do in practice is perfecting that offense, moving as quickly as they can to get the ball moving, so we’ve got to be on our toes for this game.”

Junior guard Darien Brothers and sophomore forward Derrick Williams each average 14.8 points a game, while reigning A-10 rookie of the year Kendall Anthony averages 13.9 ppg and junior guard Cedrick Lindsay 10.7 ppg.

Formerly coached by Jerry Wainwright, Richmond defeated KU, 69-68, in Allen Fieldhouse during Bill Self’s first season at KU. The Jayhawks stopped the Spiders, 77-57, on March 25, 2011, in an NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 game in San Antonio.

“I watched that game live (on TV),” White said of the NCAA contest. “KU had guys like the (Morris) twins, Brady (Morningstar) ... as a matter of fact, four weeks ago, before I even looked to this game, I watched that tape along with the VCU tape (KU’s 71-61 loss in Elite Eight) to see what was going on a couple years ago. I have a fresh memory of that Sweet 16 game in my head.”

White is coming off his finest outing of the season. The 6-foot-6 guard/forward scored a career-high 15 points off 6-of-8 shooting while playing 10 minutes of Saturday’s 89-60 rout of Belmont.

“I have a lot of confidence going into this game,” White said. “I always try to be confident. Just because I had a good shooting game doesn’t change a whole lot for me. If I get in, I’m going to go with the same approach, play as hard as I can and contribute on both ends of the court.”

Of White, KU coach Self said: “I think he can add some things to our team. He’s another weapon. He’s learning, growing. He’s a fabulous kid. He just wants to try to fit in and help. He’s a guy you can put in there, and if he makes a couple (threes), great. If not, he’s good enough in other areas he’s not going to hurt us. I need to play him more, to be candid.”

Senior Travis Releford says he is confident when White (5.1 ppg off 50 percent shooting; 7-of-15 from three) enters.

“Andrew is one of the best shooters on our team. To see him with the confidence he has and coach has for him was a good feeling and good sign for our team,” Releford said of Saturday’s outing. “He’s always looked for his shot. Coach tells him to look for it, because he’s such a good shooter. He’s not going to keep him from shooting the ball.”

Comments

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think I'll ever work myself up to watch the VCU game....talk about painful

David Leathers 1 year, 8 months ago

Amen, brother! I knew VCU was good, but what made it hurt the most was the Morrii talking so much trash before the contest, only to play like crap.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've wanted to express for awhile that the Morri were probably among my least favorite star-power Jayhawks- which keep in mind is a relative state- and I appreciated their dedication to KU BB and work ethic, etc... but let's just say it: they had a tendency to be thugs- and the trash talking incidents off-court were a prime example (not to mention more than just a few flagrant elbows and head-shoves thrown in-game during their final year). I'm just saying that those types of things over time moved them from " god I love those guys" to "you know, they could really represent the jersey better" in my mind...

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

For the love of God, will people quit being so sensitive about trash-talking. Every player does it, especially the great ones. It's part of the game. There's no such thing as a "trash talking incident" unless it ends in a knife fight. The Morrii were mean and tough as hell--that's what made them great. They refused to take sh*t off of ANYbody. So they talked trash and lost a game. Who cares? Tough guys lose games sometimes. Nice guys lose games all the time. If their confrontational style offends your delicate sensibility, that's your issue. Sometimes being the alpha involves telling others "I'm the man out here. I'm better than you." Deep down everyone knows this. Watch the Discovery Channel. We're all just baboons (with iPhones) trying to establish a heirarchy.

Don't call them thugs. Thugs are criminals. They never assaulted anyone on court. Hell, they never even got into trouble for saying anything "over the line". They just talked trash--almost always before administering a brutal beatdown on the court.

Their unapologetic toughness won a lot of games for KU. Same goes for T-Rob. Those dudes played like men. If another man's pure man-ness makes you feel uncomfortable, that's your problem. Man up.

Or go watch soccer. Or be a Duke fan.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry Salt Lake, I am with ted here. The Morri teams were my least favorite Kansas teams in the 40 years I've watched. They weren't thugs, but let's just say they had a tendency to act thug-like.

If "everyone" trash talks, then certainly many have a greater ability to hide it, and at least not have the idiocy to flaunt it before a big game. Ted isn't ungrateful for the wins their toughness and talent brought. Only that he'd rather toughness show up on the court in the form of rebounds, hustle, aggressive drives in the lane, dunks, help defense, etc.

And finally, manliness has nothing to do with chest thumping. Or smack talk. Especially anonymously telling someone to "man up" from behind a laptop or cell phone. We're supposed to be better than baboons.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

"We're supposed to be better than baboons"

And yet here we are... MANonymously slinging digital poo at one another. Why is that?

The manswer is this: we aren't any better.

uhhhh.... Mandrew White!

Robert Brock 1 year, 8 months ago

We didn't defend the 3 in that game.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Kiefs 8 pop tarts killed them that game. They occurred just in time to stop all KUs momentum swings.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe that pop tarts is a derivative of turnover. I've read this usage frequently in Jaybate's postings, as he uses the terminology pop tart and pastry both to describe basketball turnovers. I believe that this is a wordplay using the double meaning of turnover as found in a bakery.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

"Some Ways You Will Know If Josh Smith Chooses KU" (Note: Shameless re-post)

~University seismograph registers temblors at Allen Field House during wind sprints.

~Sealand Shipping Container parked by Allen Field House for use as Josh's locker.

~Price for midwest pork bellies skyrockets.

~OakvilleJHawk retained to design and sink pilings to bedrock under Naismith Court.

~Conveyor belt added connecting training table to new Butler building holding 5000 bushels of Wheaties.

~Ben Howland announced as Doc Sadler's assistant.

~Lawrence area steak houses begin advertising steel reinforced booths.

~10,000 gallon stainless steel milk reservoir added to roof of Jayhawker Towers with 1' diameter gravity flow black rubber tube connected straight to Josh's apartment.

~Lawrence area pizza joints begin advertising XTReme Deep Dish Pizzas 6' in diameter by 2' deep.

~Josh arrives in Lawrence by being parachuted out of a C5A Galaxy in a Humvee container.

(Note: all fiction. No malice)

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Think of them as "big" jokes, if it helps you ease up. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

I've never seen the improvement of a player and a coach's trust in said player so closely coincide with a change of roommates and the announced departure of said roommate.

Its fascinating to read Self reportedly being candid about needing to play AW3 more at the same time time Trav reportedly notices Self now being confident.

Self even now thinks AW3 is a guy with a floor game that won't hurt you.

That is a remarkable change in 3 weeks from a guy, who could barely get in a game and from two weeks ago from a player Self likened to Conner Teahan.

Reality can be stranger than fiction.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

I think you are on to something. That is one heck of a coincidence.

Ryan Michael 1 year, 8 months ago

Can you elaborate on the roommate thing? Maybe I missed it somewhere in an article...

Who left? What roommate did White change from/to?

AsadZ 1 year, 8 months ago

AW3 was Peter's roommate. However due to his health, HCBS / BB program decided that it will be better to have Zach room with Tyler Self. It was felt that in case there is an emergency or any other issue requiring immediate help, Tyler, being a walk on and Coach's son, will be able to report it in a more swift manner that AW3.

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

Nor will it effect Tyler's game, but with White having a chance to play...

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, reality can be stranger than fiction. Peoples imaginations can, with just a little help run wilder than both. Unless your doing curfew checks and running group therapy for the team, would you consider putting the "said" roommate" theme away? The departure of, etc, etc. If you know something the parties involved are open to talk about, knock yourself out, please.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

No imagination here. Just facts. Deal with them, or ignore them, but don't attempt to smear with either stupid and/or intentional misrepresentations of my post.

Next.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Master Bates, I'll attempt anything I want.

RockChalk0808 1 year, 8 months ago

Self-righteous, douche baggery at its finest. But that's what we've come to expect from you.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Is that "next" thing you do a knee jerk response from working in a deli most of your life? Well, if it will make you feel better I'll have a 1/2 lb. of olive loaf, a lb. of that smoked turkey........ Its a right, its a left, its over!

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

I imagine if you are lying awake at night waiting for your roommate to seize up that you don't wake up refreshed. I can also imagine that if the fear of waking up to a room temperature roommate could curb your enthusiasm for a game. Or at the very least make concentration difficult.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

If the team doctor told AW111 that was what to expect, and "we feel that your the best candidate to keep an eye on Zach". I imagine your right. Sounds believable to me. I had not thought of that.

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

I blame the coach more so than the player. Ben Howland is an awful player's coach. He's a great coach's coach, but horrible with challenging players. All coaches run into problem players. But great coaches d-e-v-e-l-o-p said players. You don't dismiss them, write them off, or treat them like a pos. Howland has shown his true colors as a coach the past few years and they aren't too pretty. The right coach could really develop Smith, but it's too late and it would be a miracle project that most coaches have little time to develop said type of player. Unfortuanately for Smith, Howland has pretty much black balled him. Fortunately for Smith, he doesn't have to endure Howland's terrible player coaching techniques any longer. He just needs to go where he'll play and salvage what he can of his career. Tough break for a potentially good player that was never developed, disciplined, or encouraged. Too bad he didn't make a better choice initially during his commitment process.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not a Howland apologist, but I'm not sure he is completely to blame for Smith's weight issues. Remember Self had a difficult time getting Collins to control his weight, and it was openly talked about in the press. Self did everything he could to pressure Collins into losing (and keeping off) extra weight so he was more explosive. He finally succeeded (to an extent) but it was always an issue and on a few occasions it limited his productivity.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

J - I respect 90% of your posts, and probably agree with 75%, but I think you need to disclose exactly what it is that you are implying. We are left guessing.

And with that vagueness, it does kinda look like some kind of of paranoia or over-active imagination on your part.

Michael Luby 1 year, 8 months ago

Woo hoo! I cant wait for this game!! Its my first AFH game since ostertag played.
Jaybate, I'll buy you a drink pregame, Im gonna be at Jeffersons.

*Still think Coach has to go 9 deep this year to make room for our seemingly infinite bench. RCJHGOKU!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Lulu, you lucky dog. Thanks for the generous offer. Alas I won't be there.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 8 months ago

I got to see my first KU game in person since I graduated in '88 just last year on a Monday night in New Orleans! Have fun!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 8 months ago

To clarify, I went to the NC game on a Monday night in New Orleans, I didn't graduate from KU on a Monday night in New Orleans!

af13 1 year, 8 months ago

Have fun. Last year I made it back to AFH for my first game since LaFrentz played. Luckily, it also happened to be the Mizzou game. Anyway, AFH is everything you remember and more. In the new year, I'm coming back once again, but this time I'm bringing my brother-in-law who is a Stanford guy. He's always wanted to experience it. Next time, I'll have to bring my other brother-in-law who is a UNC guy. I'll just have to make sure he doesn't wear powder blue.

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I attended the Texas game last March with my daughters, my first visit back to AFH since the 1978 season! Pretty awesome! (But I miss Joe's donut shop.) Hope you have a great time.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

The Richmond game will be another interesting test to see if Self uses Withey to chase a Princeton center, or increases Jamari's PT.

Also, will Self allow switching generally, or make them fight through the picks?

If AW3's defense has achieved "won't hurt you" status, as per Self, then this seems a game where AW3 could see 15-20 minutes with some at 4 against Team Spider, if AW3 were hitting.

If AW3 gets minutes guarding a 2, or 3, in a Princeton, then AW3's D really has come a long way.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

On Withey, we've noticed a few times when Withey is replaced when we're switching screens (one easy example is the last 10 seconds of the Oregon St. game when Wesley subbed in for him).

One thing Self could do is switch all screens except those made by Withey's man. That's where they would have to talk more. Sometimes the coach might have the defender make a call to alert to the non-switch, since he might not see it coming .. might say "blue" or whatever, which means "no switch."

I agree with you here, jb, the defense will be one of the most interesting things to watch tonight. We should expect AW3 to guard the 2 or 3 a bit .. my guess is Self gives him that test.

On AW3, I have characterized his defense as adequate. We'll see how "adequate" it is tonight. On the defensive end, I guess I'd say that his feet don't seen in rhythm. Kind of gets a little twisted over himself, if that makes sense. But he's long, perhaps not quick, but not slow off a standstill. He certainly has tools. Not sure he can develop the way Rush did on defense, but I wouldn't bet against some big leaps there. There will certainly be some bumps along the way, though. Hope he gets to play through them.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

I will go you one better and predict with as much probability as I can muster that if AW3 stays for his junior year he will become a lock down guy. He is a shooting machine. He and his father understand that if he can learn to guard he will have a very long NBA career, but not if not. This is probably why he chose KU. As with Tyrel, whom he is most like right now (same great shot, same great springs, same great straightline speed, same early foot entanglement, same FT stroke, same need for more strength, but with 2 more decisive inches and a better rebounding instinct) he is a getting better machine. And if he can already stay on the floor, which Tyrel could not do as a frosh, then he might by late next season learn to lock down. Foot entanglement is fixable if you have speed and springs and length.

Self can keep him on the floor against a short 4, because most 4s are slower footed than perimeter players. And with Withey to help swat AW3's fewer mistakes at the 4, Self can have his trey cake and eat it too.

And they can switch as you said to keep AW3 chasing 4s instead of Jeff.

RockChalk0808 1 year, 8 months ago

This has got to be one of HCBS's favorite teams to coach. All these interchangeable parts, improving before our eyes. So many options from a coaching perspective. I know this has been one of my favorite teams to watch develop, and they still have so much more to do.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

The other freshmen need to take note of how Drew carries himself.

tical523 1 year, 8 months ago

I love the attitude of this kid, he just get it and seems to carry himself very well. Hard work and humility is so refreshing in a time of me-me-me and "swag". I love the roster Bill has put together now and for the future (sucks to lose Z Peters), we have a lot of three and probably four year guys who are real quality young men. Even our current one and done seems to have no attitude of superiority or ego, he loves to play defense and smile with his teammates. Love this team and the path we are on.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

I posted these "cautions" regarding White over the weekend --

-Caution (version 1): Ok, what are the odds White doesn't even play meaningful minutes on Tuesday? Right, pretty high. It is life under coach Self. Don't be surprised. But the boulder is rolling downhill here. That's good.

-Caution (version 2): White will have poor shooting stretches. Expect it. Embrace it. Because there's a 5 of 6 streak lurking there .. perhaps more than in any other player in recent KU history.

-Caution (version 3): He's still a freshman. He'll make boneheaded plays. He'll get burnt on defense. His defense is adequate .. not wildly smooth feet. He'll maybe snag 2 quick fouls reaching, or something. Don't be surprised. It's a work in progress.

-Caution (version 4): Allen Fieldhouse ain't Ames, it isn't Stillwater, it's not Manhattan -- and it sure as heck isn't some regional site trying to survive a mid-major, or other NCAA challenge. Pressure. Environment. Self has to get White meaningful time on the road in big games, to let him fail .. to let him go 1-6 from 3. To let him experience the pressure. It will make him better. It will make him ready. First test, Columbus, Ohio. Play the kid.

-Caution (version 5): Expectations. I'll say it now. Assuming playing time is there, he will go down as the greatest three point shooter in KU history. Boschee's 338 are on the radar. So I violated what I was cautioning against. Guilty.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Am pleased and comforted to have read this post again. Here's hoping you save it for future postings. The boulder certainly does appear to be picking up downhill speed. We know it is bound to be slowed through some gullies.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

There is a certain poise about this kid. At this point he represents the epitome of what Bill Self has to offer a talented newcomer who battles for minutes on a team loaded with starting experienced talent. Coach has inserted Andrew in upwardly spiraling minutes commensurate with his development in areas of weaknesses, knowing that his offense bears a dynamic which can absolutely explode at any time, potentially saving this squad from situations such as the VCU debacle. AW3 appears to possess the patience to enjoy the ride.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, it is interesting .. a mere coincidence I assume .. that the VCU game came up in this article.

Self said above .. "I need to play him more, to be candid.”

That is progress. Perhaps the exact progress that Self may have envisioned.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 8 months ago

Just what did I miss about his roomate? Was it Zack? Something has sure as heck changed since the comparison to, with all due respect, to Tehan. When I read that simile, I was taken a back somewhat, cause I'm as pumped about this kid as any freshman since Bill's been here. This is the type of guy that can go off for 20-30 most anytime out. A kid like this plays in a more wide open system & can lead the nation in scoring. Of course we know that is highly unlikely with HCBS, as it's too one-dimesional, or selfish, whichever you prefer. I said weeks ago AWIII had to get more PT & the boss must have listened...ya think? HEM...If the freshmen didn't play alot of check/switch D in HS we may see alot more of the seniors tonight. The constant yelling & efforts to communicate are pretty tough in a loud arena. I wouldn'tbe surprised to see some zone vs the creepy little crawlers.

2008KUGrad 1 year, 8 months ago

AWII is going to be a really big factor for us, maybe not this year, but he will be a huge factor in bringing another National Title back to Lawrence. Rock Chalk!

I've met this kid & he is wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if he's coaching someday.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 8 months ago

Looked at the pics of AWIII & is a ringer for a very young Robert, The Chief, Parrish.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Looks-wise to me he reminds me a lot of Dominique Wilkins. Now I don't know that he has his hops and showmanship but he's an out-and-out shooter, that's for sure.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Andrew's shots remind me of another Jayhawk that is still playing in his 14th year in the league. Can only hope he develops into that same kind of player. Keep working hard at it Andrew. We are all looking forward to seeing you develop at Kansas. Rock Chalk!

Michael Sillman 1 year, 8 months ago

I have not seen any update on the Randle visit. Did anyone notice him at the Belmont game? Seems like a good game for him to see.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

He'd rescheduled all the way out to Feb. 16th (our home game against UT, who he's also considering).

beebe1 1 year, 8 months ago

Perhaps the former roommate was the kid who quit due to concussion.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Andrew White III has arrived and won't come out of the rotation soon. Amazing what happens when you work hard, do it right, have an NBA type body, and can put the ball in the whole from downtown. Humility and confidence are NOT mutually exclusive. He has both. Anrio! Take note. Usually when we say "tweener," we are talking about between a 3 and a 4 at the next level. See Marcus Morris. This guy is between a 2 and 3 at this level, and a legit 2 at the next. And, as we saw against Belmont, he can play 4 within certain matchups. This TEAM is coming together and Naadir is still standing. Slowly, slowly, he is getting better and the two aforementioned are giving Self maximum options which you will need at some point to pull one out. Let's see what happens tonight, and of course, this Saturday. Knowing HCBS, despite his feigned sadness for their presence at school over the holiday break in two-a-days, the man loves to use this time to get his team to another level for conference. Look what he did with them over Thanksgiving. Coach has his "got to get better we are awful talk poker face" going, but behind closed doors I think this group of coaches are busting at the seams regarding the potential this year and next. A coach's dream my friends. I am convinced, the best "overall" (recruiting, media and donor relations, coaching, respect of peers, stage of career, etc.) coach in America right now is Bill Self.

Jeremy Wilhelm 1 year, 8 months ago

I like most of what you have observed, but I can't see AW3 as a legit three at all in the NBA. He's either a 2, or he grows two inches between now and the time he leaves. With his stroke, he could easily be a solid back-up 2 guard in the league, and as he gets stronger, perhaps even a starting 2.

RockChalkDoc 1 year, 8 months ago

"He’s a fabulous kid." - That is all HCBS recruits, with VERY few exceptions. That is why I love KU basketball and Coach Self. How can you not pull for these kids and him? I catch a lot of grief in my God forsaken state of Mizzery for being a Jayhawk fan. But our kids are daylight and dark in relation to MU's.
On another note, this team is so much fun to watch and can become a truly special team.

Jason Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Thats also why im not really interested in us getting Joshua Smith

lawerencejayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Jaybate - your statment about Andrew Whites improvement started with the quote "I've never seen" I think as KU fans WE have never seen:

• A player with AWIII work ethic

• A player who picked his college basketball choice like a marriage (for better or worse)

• A player whose personal success is rooted in the success of the teamm

• A player whose IQ is off the chart

• A player who completely adjusted his game (defensively & offiensively) to the KU systaem in weeks NOT YEARS

• A player who can play multiple positions (X factor)

• A player whose best attribute is the final piece of the puzzle - consistant 3 point shots

• A player who is efficient by the minute. 10 minutes 15 points

• A player who values and respects the name on the front & back of his jersey and is proud of them both

Great players! Great coaches! Great team! Great fans! Go Jayhawks!!

Ryan Michael 1 year, 8 months ago

Going to disagree on the work ethic portion... Tyrel Reed pretty much set the bar on that one.

John Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

No reason to believe Tyrel was one-of-a-kind.

The amazing thing about HCBS recruiting is he makes so few mistakes in finding kids with the attitude it takes to play the way he demands.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 8 months ago

Keep the Virginia pipeline open. I was wondering, when a player commits to KU, does Andrea give them a specific workout to prepare for their next year for strength and speed. Also, are the students given a list of things they need to work on before they get here? Jo Jo is the one who will need all the work he can get to be the big man starter for next year. KU has always had a BIG guy as part of the offense.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I think I saw a comment in an article about Frankamp that he was working on building muscle and getting stronger. It may even have mentioned he had talked to people at KU about it. Then again, I may just be imagining it based on my own hopes and desires to see him gain 20 lbs and come in as a stone-cold, sharp-shooting killer next year and earn meaningful minutes right from the start.

So mark me down under the category of, 'yes, of course Hudy has given him a workout to follow' followed quietly by, 'I have absolutely no idea if this is true.'

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Landen would have a leg up on him. Landen may not have the freakisih shot-blocking ability of Embiid (similar to a Withey), but he should have the strength and be a good rebounder & still an adequate shot-blocker. I know we red-shirted hiim this year, but it would not shock me AT ALL if Lucas has a BIG ROLE on this team next year....worst-case scenario the next 2-3 years after that.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

This.

Like we're seeing this year, Self doesn't like to play freshmen a whole lot until they've been in the system long enough to know their role. That, along with Embiid being a major project who hasn't played a lot of organized ball (comparatively speaking), makes me believe that Lucas will be the starting center at KU next year. Embiid probably has the higher ceiling, but Lucas will get the minutes next year (similar to the Naadir vs. Rio situation this season).

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Every good or great center benefits massively from a dedicated dead eye.

Alcindor had Shackleford.

Shack was a corner shooter that stretched the D to the side, which let Alcindor hook the other way and feed a cutter on the rare occasion the double could stop him.

Self wants AW3 out front because he unclogs the middle not only for Withey, but for our impact wings.

What will really make this work, when used occasionally, is if AW3 can pass after a look. If he is a sound passer with anticipation, then the defense has to worry about his first pass a huge amount. His first pass can go to either wing, or deep to Withey, or finally to a third combo guard back cutting baseline for the alley pop. Scary good strategy...if AW3 has the passing gene.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Every good or great center benefits massively from a dedicated dead eye.

Alcindor had Shackleford.

Jayhawkgirl2 1 year, 8 months ago

In articles our seniors have spoken very highly of Andrew White III Which I think says a lot about Andrew and even more about our seniors. I think this team has great chemistry and can't wait to see them in March.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

AW3.....translation from the universal language of Karma..."Another Wonderful trifecta!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Gosh...what a creepy Mascot....the Spiders!!

That ranks right up there with the Cummings Head Lice, the Wisconsin Elk-Ray Cheese, the Killian College Leaping Lepers and the Missouri Tiggers.

[Note: three are possibly fiction but one is a truly horrible reality!!]

1 year, 8 months ago

We would be remiss to leave out the University of California, Santa Cruz Banana Slug...