Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tyler Self making most of minutes

photo

Kansas guard Tyler Self heads in for a bucket against Colorado defender Eli Stalzer during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

As a member of the Red Team, also known as Kansas University’s basketball Scout Team, Tyler Self tries to bring his A game to practice every day.

“I guard Elijah (Johnson) quite a bit and Ben (McLemore) quite a bit. I like to say I guard them. Others may see it differently,” Self, a 6-foot-2 freshman walk-on guard out of Lawrence’s Free State High, said with a smile.

Self, fellow walk-ons Christian Garrett, Niko Roberts and Evan Manning, as well as red-shirt scholarship player Landen Lucas and others not in the current rotation, try to make pests of themselves while running the upcoming opponents’ defense and offense during high-octane drills and scrimmage situations.

It was Self’s offense that sent KU’s student section into a frenzy during Saturday’s KU-Colorado game.

Self, who entered with 1:44 left, put the finishing touches on a 90-54 victory by hitting a driving layup off the glass at :02.

“Looking at it from a history standpoint, it’s a big deal to me,” Self said of joining the fraternity of individuals who have scored points for KU’s tradition-rich program. “But in my eyes, it’s not anything really too special because I’m out here trying to get better, to make the team better.”

Self, who is 1-for-1 from the field while playing five minutes in two games, said he’d have been disappointed had he not converted the floater.

“I got a good pass from Niko and got a chance to go get a bucket with a couple seconds left and happened to do so,” Self said. “It turned up in transition. It was a 1-on-1 play. You’ve got to take advantage.”

He said he has enjoyed the opportunity to play for the Jayhawks, a team coached by his dad, Bill Self.

“I’ve seen a lot of games here,” said Tyler, a fixture in the Allen Fieldhouse stands the first nine years of his dad’s KU tenure. “It’s different being on the floor, though, than being in the stands.

“I love being a part of it. The hard work we put in every day is totally worth it to see it carry over on the floor.”

Tyler happens to be playing for one of the most demanding coaches in the country in Bill Self, who has directed KU to eight straight conference titles, one national title and one NCAA runner-up appearance.

“It’s fun, a unique experience to see him (dad) in his element, doing what he loves to do. His passion for the game comes through at practice, how much he loves what he does and wants to succeed doing so,” Tyler said.

“It’s all about mental toughness. Boot Camp, the practices are tough, but it’s really just a mental aspect. You have to play through it.”

Tyler said it has been an easy transition playing basketball for his dad.

“I like to think of it, and I think he does, too, that I’m just another guy out there trying to get better,” Tyler said.

Bill Self has said he’s been rejuvenated as a coach in getting to spend so much time with his son. But he does acknowledge that Tyler is just another player at practice and during games.

“I was as happy for Tyler (in scoring) as I would have been if it was Evan or Christian or Niko,” Self said.

“I think that if you look at Niko and Evan and Tyler ... they get it. They’ve been around it their whole life.”

Niko Roberts’ dad is KU assistant/former St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts; Evan Manning’s dad is Tulsa coach/former KU All-American and NBA standout Danny Manning.

“They’ve been raised not in the gym, but as far as seeing sides of their dads most people don’t see,” Bill Self said. “I think it’s neat for any of those (walk-on) kids: how you can go to a place where you know you will probably not play much at all if any, yet you can still put a handprint on what is going on. All four, they’ve done a great job, gotten better, primarily Christian and Niko because they’ve been here a couple years. Nobody in our locker room sees them differently. They all do the same things, sacrifice and all that stuff.”

Tyler, by the way, said he hasn’t decided if he wants to follow in dad’s footsteps and coach.

“The plan right now is (be a) business major,” Tyler said. “Hopefully I’ll finish strong in finals (this week). Right now I have no clue. I wouldn’t say I will be a coach. I could see it going either way. Right now I’m living day to day.”

KU vs. SDSU: San Diego State University announced Wednesday that it had agreed to a home-and-home series with KU. The first game will be played in Allen Fieldhouse on either Jan. 4 or 5, 2014. The series will skip a season before the Jayhawks return the game and play inside SDSU’s Viejas Arena on a yet-to-be-determined date in 2015-16. Details of the series were reported in the Journal-World, San Diego Union-Tribune and other outlets in November.

Bill Self in Minnesota: KU coach Self was in Apple Valley, Minn., Tuesday to attend a game of Tyus Jones, a 6-1 junior point guard from Apple Valley High. Jones had 36 points and seven assists in an 82-68 win over Minnetonka. Jones is ranked No. 3 nationally in the Class of 2014 by rivals.com.

Next game: KU will meet Belmont University at 6 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse. Belmont (6-2) of the Ohio Valley Conference plays host to Middle Tennessee State tonight.

Comments

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

"I like to say I guard them. Others may see it differently.”

Could Tyler possibly sound any more like his Dad??? I can even hear a slight Oklahoma twang. Like father, like son. What a compliment. Here's to rejuvenation!

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 11 months ago

That feeling crossed my mind as well! :)

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 11 months ago

Chip off the 'ol block.... I think he should shave the stash tho👨

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

He's got a 'stache??!! Thought it was a shadow from the lighting!! :)

LAJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Only when he went on to say the following:

"Looking at it from a history standpoint, it’s a big deal to me."

Pulled out his dad's classic "standpoint" staple. He's all Self. No doubt about it.

okiedave 1 year, 11 months ago

I can see it now -- Tyler plays 4 years, makes assistant to HCBS, takes stint as head coach at a D-1 school then returns to KU to take the reins from Dad.

odc213 1 year, 11 months ago

KU vs SDSU >> Code for Home and Home, unless the (ahem ahem) Carrier Classic calls. Then it's a 'home and carrier' agreement. We are taking the risk by not actually playing the game, so 'home and carrier' works fine. But truthfully, not thinking it's a great Classic... espn

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

Speaking of upcoming ESPN games, if you appreciate how college basketball has helped change the landscape in our country, check out this story:

"The interesting thing about a game like this is, at the time, there were a large group of people that truly believed they were right, that these games should not occur," (Shaka) Smart said. "Fast-forward to 2012 . . . and people know that's just ludicrous. That's the exciting thing, the effect that sports can have."

"Thursday Donut Dunks"

• jSPN sports anchor Jock Small asks readers to cast eBallots for the best KU scout team ever. Small claims last season's scout team with Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor was the best, but Small admits to sports related dementia.

• Andrea Hudy said she will no longer train Bill Self, or his son Tyler, in forearm development. Hudy said, "There are limits to what scientific weight training techniques can accomplish. Both Bill and Tyler suffer from a rare congenital condition called 'Sarah Jessica Parker Forearm Syndrome' that makes them unable to acquire normal muscle mass there."

• Norm and Niko Roberts will become the first father and son to be inducted into the National Heavy Eyebrow Hall of Fame in Larned, KS. Speaking for both Roberts, Norm said, "Its a huge honor to join previous inductees Groucho Marx, Sean Young, Bob Keeshan, Larry Moore, and all men over 75."

• Cindy Self has skotched rumors of a "walk-on" coaches' wives program.

• Christian Garrett has announced that he will be working three of Wayne Simien's new boot camp retreats for Simien's new "Fundamentals for Fundamentalists." Boot camps will be held in Hell, California, Hell, Michigan, and Hell, Grand Cayman.

• Evan and Danny Manning are the early favorites to win the First Annual Coaches and Coaches' Sons Two-on-Two Invitational Tournament. Its a fund raiser for walk-on tuition for scout teamers everywhere.

• CBernie and Shay Zeng will play a series of one-on-one games at halftimes of conference games in AFH to raise money for Self's contract extension.

• Dick Vitale announced that for Lent he will give up over hyping John Calipari.

• Aridzona head coach Stumpy Miller announced he will wear a new line of Nike elevator sneakers called Air Shorties.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Ron Prichard 1 year, 11 months ago

This is some funny stuff. Nice post, jaybate.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

CB vs Z, 1 on 1. Great idea!

I imagine CB would match Z crossover for crossover, and like Rogers to Astaire, she would do it in heels and with her back to the basket.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice post jaybate. Nice that you followed it up with the (All fiction. No malice.) note.

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 11 months ago

LOL @ Sarah Jessica Parker syndrome... :)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Great! Wasn't sure anyone would get the reference. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Solomon Grundy Filled his undie?

Poor Solomon Grundy Never has fundie.

Solomon's unhappy Monday to Sunday.

:-)

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Tyus Jones is not comming to Kansas, Self is wasting his time.

LIFELONGHAWK38 1 year, 11 months ago

LMAO @ bennybob , and you know this for a fact because you talk to Tyus Jones all the time and he has told you this. Right? LOL

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe bb could join Self's staff, as HCBS is obviously lacking in recruiting ability.

Now when he has 9 or 10 straight Conference Championships and goes to (and wins) 2 or 3 more National Championships we can re-evaluate him.

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, Yes I do. Tyus plays on the same AAU and high school team as my younger brother. They're Good friends. I talk to Tyus almost every day.

bbob,

No recruiting, or marketing, visit is ever wasted, if you leave a good impression with everyone you meet. Tyus may be leaning to some place that may implode shortly for recruiting violations. Or the coach might jump. Think Tyshawn when Crean left 'quette for Indie.

Or Tyus may have a teammate, or their maybe young kids 2 years away in the area. And one should never turn down a chance to meet a new hs coach, or assistant hs coach. Befriend them now and down the road have an in.

All real living is meeting.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Fair enough point.

Currently Tyus is a heavy Duke lean. Coach K has won over his parents and thats not exactly the type of program i see imploding over the next couple years

Also, Self already has a strong pressence in the minnesota AAU/coaching circles. He's been building it since the Cole Aldrich recruitment.

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

You're right. What is he thinking? Presenting one of the top programs in college basketball to one of the top high school players??? Why can't he just aim low and keep the pessimists happy. A happy pessimist - now there's a realistic goal.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 11 months ago

bennybob, blue blood coaches have to recruit these top-level players. 9 times out of 10 we don't get them but every once in a while you land a recruit like Selby, even though his tenure here was considered a disappointment. It's a numbers game. Play enough times and you land a jackpot that's fit for our program.

Phil Leister 1 year, 11 months ago

Funny headline. Making the most of his 5 minutes.

oldalum 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't see why it's funny. He managed to score while he was in there, so that's making the most of his 5 minutes. Maybe I misunderstood. Did you think it was funny because the time he was making the most of was only 5 minutes?

Chris Shaw 1 year, 11 months ago

Is Tyler Self sporting a stache? At first glance it certainly looks like a stache. If so, he could possibly skip right to walk-on First Team All-American status with TJ Whatley.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Unclear if it's a stache, or a reality distortion field being tested by DARPA.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

LOL Whatley! Only KU roundball stache of my lifetime. Surprised Pollard never rocked a full-on soup strainer though.

sleepy33 1 year, 11 months ago

It has morphed from, like, a shadow of a goatee, to now just the puny stache. Not a big fan. Then again, it seems to me that all men must go through the ill-advised facial hair stage at some point.

KU vs SDSU

H&H

Coaches burying the hatchet always good.

And win/win for both in recruiting.

Playing in LoCal raises KU brand recognition in the heart of the volleyball belt. (If only there were more footers playing v-ball!!).

Building up SDSU in UCLA's backyard gives UCLA another recruiting competitor.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 11 months ago

Even with Danny's knees I would have to put my money on the Mannings if a coach & son tourney springs up. Nice idea JB, got my morning off with a smile.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, but don't breath in too much magic dust. Ask Quinn Snyder.

jayfucius say:

Serial Aliases that attack first, lose last.

Sound player in hand worth two with potential.

The higher a player's ceiling the more development required to touch it.

Just because phog in field house invisible not mean it ineffectual.

All great runs followed by some not so great, but all bad runs must be followed by good ones or PT disappear.

A gnat's ass seems large to trey shooter with a hot hand.

Getting a stop and making a basket on first possession, then playing them even the next 39:30 is still a win.

Making eye contact with cougars in the fourth row sure way to lower FT percentage.

Taunting opposing coaches surest way to experience cheap shot when least expected.

The shot clock is long and few offenses use all of it.

A layup with a free throw is a higher percentage shot than a trey.

Defend where they are strong. Attack where they are weak. And zone when all else fails.

Assistant coaches are brilliant until they become head coaches, then they need players.

Recruit players that can explode beyond their positions, not those that fizzle beyond them.

Impact the game, not one's self.

Play the players now that can win now and play the players later that can win later.

Running players now leads to lack of depth later.

Great coaches are often misunderstood by fans because they are great coaches.

Getting more than half the 50/50 balls wins 90% of games.

Protection is next to godliness, but winning the disruption stat is sacred.

Now, go forth and get better.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

: ) If I didn't know better, I would say you were in Colorado right now, on "business". Funny stuff, indeed. Almost TOO funny...

KG,

No, not in Colorado. Fished it. Skied it. But never lived there.

I do not use mind/mood altering substances other than coffee.

I used to not mind other persons using them either.

And I still do not want anyone put in prison, or fined, for consuming whiskey, wine, beer, tobacco, or pot.

But I have by my late 50s lost much of my family and to one or more of those substances and every friend I have has lost at least one, or two, persons to them.

I am greatful, if they stop putting persons in Colorado in prison for marijuana consumption, but down the road, as the major mind/mood altering corporations move into the marijuana business and start marketing hard to children, as whiskey, wine, beer, and tobacco vampire corporations already do, I see only more devastation and loss of life on the way.

The major mind/mood altering corporations will have a field day with pot. It will cause just as much cancer and emphyzema as tobacco down the road, be loaded with what ever additive heightens addiction the most, and marketed to all the submarkets as yet under-served by the more traditional and legal mind/mood altering substances.

So: it borders on a pyrrhic victory for me, where once it might have seemed more important.

Still, it is easier to educate young people not to use these substances, when they are outside prison, than it is to get them out of prison and educate them.

So: I guess it is a kind of progress.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting you mention prison. This past summer Tommy Chong revealed he had prostate cancer and believed he got it after he stopped using marijuana for about 3 years, but more specifically when he was serving time in a prison built over a waste site. Now he's treating it with hemp oil and believes he is 99% cured. It's an interesting story. Also lookup Rick Simpson.

Okay, with all due respect, (and I can't emphasize that enough in a typed comment, but I know you know what I mean. Mad respect!) I doubt you've ever lost anybody to pot use. I'm 42 and I've never known of a person who died from smoking pot. I've know hundreds of daily pot smokers and nobody even has serious health issues. You would have to smoke A LOT of pot to even come close to the risks of moderate cigarette smoking. Absurd amounts of pot.

JB, I know you know this, but that coffee will kill you quicker than pot. The three things I will fight to keep my kids off of, as they come of age, will be nicotine, caffein and refined sugar (alcohol a close 4th). They are truly and dangerously addictive. Pot is only mildly addictive. In fact many people, like myself (And even Tommy Chong), quit when they get older, further decreasing the risk of related health issues and higher death rates in users.

Cancer treatment is how it got started to begin with here. Medical marijuana. Honestly, hemp should never have been restricted to begin with. It's a natural growing plant and it's practical uses are endless. Since it can't be patented, and anyone can easily and legally grow a limited amount in their own home now, corporations will have a very hard time penetrating, and/or altering the market. It's natural man. It's a HUGE victory.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

How can you get more than half of 50/50 balls? Very perplexing.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 11 months ago

Self refers to "50/50" balls a lot, and I think jaybate is doing the same here. When Self uses the term, it seems to me like he's talking about those times when nobody has possession of the ball (like when it's rolling out of bounds or flying off the rim after a missed shot). Self wants to get more than half of those in KU's possession.

Am I close, 'bate?

oldalum 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with you, Hawk. It's those possessions where it's anyone's ball and everyone is diving for it.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, HEM, I was kind of trying for a Yogi Berraism. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

If coaching Tyler recharges Self, what the hell! Suit his daughter up too!!

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 11 months ago

I say ADSZ should buy him and his wife an all expenses paid cruise to somewhere exotic and romantic, load the fridge w/ champagne and strawberries and hope for an addition to the Self family! That would buy us another 20+ years

wildjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Looks like Jaybate has frequent and loose bowel movements of the mouth again.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you getting bitter about Weber being hired as interim HC at Silage State again?

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 11 months ago

I loved watching Self make that shot at the end of the game. I even loved it more when the bench erupted. THAT tells you a LOT about this team!!!

The Jayhawk bball program is a gift that keeps on giving.

As Will Sonnet would say, "No brag,,,,just fact!"

FarSideHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's hoping a picture of Jennifer Connely will calm you down and turn you back in to human, so you can post like one. :)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's take a guess at who is under that towel.

1] The little red-haired girl from Texas.

2] Max Falkenstein.

3] Scott Pollard kneeling down.

4] Waldo.

5] Judge Crater

6] Cindy Self.

7] Norm Stewart.

8] One of the Kardashians

9] Jaybate.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

God Bless you for saving that photo, FSH.....you just made my Xmas!!! :)

FarSideHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

You're welcome Oak. Her name is Arielle Angelovich. She is famous. Her pics are easy to find.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

I just have one thing to say in response to this blast from the past..... (I better not say it or this comment would be removed for sure!) But I know that all of you guys are thinking something similar.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Arielle makes it very difficult for a man to focus on her eyes.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Ok, I'm a Longhorns fan ... particularly the "L" and the "s". Thank you.

DanR 1 year, 11 months ago

It's Tharpe under the towel.

Kansas guard Tyler Self is congratulated by his teammates after a bucket against Colorado during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. by Nick Krug

DCLawHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

There is a good article on si.com arguing that Bill Self is the active coach with the best shot of surpassing Coach Consonants' career win total. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/news/20121213/catching-coach-k/