Thursday, December 13, 2012

KU cornerback Tyler Patmon leaving program

Kansas cornerback Tyler Patmon sighs after a Texas Tech runner was awarded a first down during a goal line stand in the third quarter on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

The lone underclassman in Kansas University’s starting secondary will be joining the seniors in leaving the KU football program this offseason.

Sources confirmed to the Journal-World that junior cornerback Tyler Patmon would not return to the team next season. Patmon, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound starter from Round Rock, Texas, announced similar news via Twitter on Thursday night.

“Wherever the Lord takes me for my last year of college ball I'll be thankful no matter what,” Patmon wrote on the social media web site.

Attempts to reach Patmon were not immediately returned.

When asked for a comment on the matter, KU coach Charlie Weis, who is still on the road recruiting, had the following to say through a spokesperson: “Tyler is scheduled to graduate from KU in May. We appreciate all that he’s done during his time at Kansas and we wish him well.”

If Patmon completes his requirements for graduation, he will be eligible to transfer to another school and play immediately a la Dayne Crist and Jordan Webb.

During his four years at Kansas, Patmon, who red-shirted in 2009, played in 35 of 36 games and made 28 starts, including all 12 games during the 2012 season.

He finished 2012 with 58 tackles (fourth on the team), including four for loss and a team-best three interceptions.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Sorry to hear this. Experience has value. I'm curious what the real reason for leaving is? Best regards to Tyler Patmon in whatever he does in the future. Fun watching him play. RCJH.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

Eh, the writing is on the wall. He won't be a starter any more, that's why.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 7 months ago

My same thoughts on the matter. Good luck to him with what ever college he goes to.

kuilander 1 year, 7 months ago

you obviously didnt watch him play very much if you enjoyed it. he's gone because weis isnt keeping him for his last year of eligibility. plain and simple, and the right thing to do for ku and for patmon

hawk316 1 year, 7 months ago

ralster, I for one appreciate your warm, positive and encouraging remarks. These kids work too hard and give too much to be dismissed so easily by some.

JayDocMD 1 year, 7 months ago

Looks like he was asked to go ...

diegohawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Too bad. Always hate to have guys leave the program. Life is life though. Where one position vacates another one fills. I'm not a talent evaluator but I thought he had nice ball skills. Problem was he had trouble getting turned by some of the quicker receivers which rendered his ball skills useless.

HotToddy69 1 year, 7 months ago

Opposing big 12 receivers are sad to see him leave.

hawkdds 1 year, 7 months ago

Best of luck Tyler and congrats on early graduation. Being a CB in the aerial circus known as the Big12 is a daunting task to say the least.RCJH

Ichabodhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

He isn't graduating early. He redshirted in 2009 which makes him a fourth year player meaning he is graduating on time.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

The folks at the LJW thought Withey graduated "early" the other day, when he's been in school for 4.5 years. By my standards, that's late. But oh well.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

^^ I actually thought the exact same thing, re: Withey. Although he did come from Zona, so perhaps those classes didn't transfer... but that one semester would still actually make him graduating on time not early...

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

By normal standards, no he isn't graduating early. However, the way it works in the athletic department is that players on put on paths to graduate when their eligibility is up. If they play a sport where redshirting is common, then athletes are put on 5 year plans because they have to be taking classes to maintain their eligibility. Most football players are put on 5 year plans because they are going to be around for 5 years. Tyler Patmon was likely on a 5 year plan and is graduating early based on the track he was on.

minipman 1 year, 7 months ago

he must of realized that is playing time will be very limited next year.. he doesnt have the speed to get it done as a DB .. and the Juco dream team is on the way

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

I still think we're fine at CB for next season with Sendish, Shepard, Dexter McDonald, Greg Allen, and Tyree Williams. However, it'd be nice to add Kevin Short and/or some other CB on the recruiting trail who can contribute immediately to add more depth.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

You forgot Isaiah Johnson. Pattmon doesn't share their size. All of these guys in the Class of 2013 are 6'1" or taller.

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

Isaiah Johnson's a safety. Who I did forget at CB was Colin Spencer. I can see him playing in our nickel and/or dime defense and returning kicks next season, especially if he enrolls early.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

Johnson's listed as a safety, but I'm thinking that he and the kid from Butler will switch positions. I could be wrong, but that is my story for now.

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

If we don't land another S (better not happen) then I'm with you on moving the 6'2 205 pound McDonald to safety.

Matt Bowers 1 year, 7 months ago

Patmon, much love to you going forward. I for one am sad to see you go and hope that your next home treats you well. Thank you for your service and don't think that for one moment that your teammates and fans don't appreciate you. You will always be a part of this place and it a part of you.

The best,

Rock Chalk

Ethan Berger 1 year, 7 months ago

Glad to see all the class on the board....

MoralVictory 1 year, 7 months ago

Any idiot who wishes this kid anything but the best should move over the border and rejoin the confederacy.

Folks....you are Jayhawks....act like it.

Al Martin 1 year, 7 months ago

Exactly.

The kid's a Jayhawk for life. Anybody who says otherwise needs to knock it off.

danno1313 1 year, 7 months ago

What s wrong with the confederacy? Mizzou sucks though.

Kyle Coffey 1 year, 7 months ago

Tyler made some plays that showed some crazy potential of what he could do on a game by game basis, and then he made plays that made you wonder.. The long OSU pass play for a TD in the 3rd quarter this year happened because Patmon wanted absolutely no attempt at tackling the receiver. Again, he made great plays but he began to decline the last few years..

kuilander 1 year, 7 months ago

the problem is the great plays were by far the exception, not the rule with him. i wish him luck, but am happy he wont be suiting up against our competitors going forward ...

actorman 1 year, 7 months ago

He began to decline the last few years? As opposed to all the years BEFORE the last few years? How many years do you think he was at KU?

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 7 months ago

Tyler, you are solid and have good instincts. Good luck where you decide to go.

jayhawkb 1 year, 7 months ago

good luck at JCCC Tyler. Out with the old (garbage) in with the new (better talent). Now we can cover someone on 3rd down.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 7 months ago

That's awful! What the heck is wrong with some of you? You can't wish this kid well? So what if he didn't become All-American - he's still a Jayhawk, and gave a lot to our school. Show some class.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Serious question... Do you think Patmon decided this himself, or do you think Weis had a candid sit-down with him and told him he probably wouldn't see much playing time next year? My guess in the latter.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

My honest guess is that it was a combination of both. I'm sure Weis told him it would be tough to see the field, but didn't kick him off the team. He realized by graduating, he could see playing time elsewhere. It's part of the game. We got several players this year for that exact same reason. Not surprising to see it happen in reverse this year (forgetting Jordan Webb for a moment) now that Weis has some guys coming in.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

See the twitter post above - "Not by Choice".

Mike Nicco 1 year, 7 months ago

Brutal life lesson. Good luck Tyler!

soapisurfriend 1 year, 7 months ago

He posted on twitter that he's not leaving my choice. In other news, KSU just got a commitment from 4 star LB Nick Ramirez from Lee's Summit.

MoralVictory 1 year, 7 months ago

Not a bash on Charlie...but the last time we ran off a player who we didn't think could perform, we replaced him with a player who led us to a 1-6 record before being replaced. If we are going to run off academically strong student-athletes, then we better have a significant upgrade in talent on the field.

I am no fan of running off kids who have done things right. That is not the Jayhawk way.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

And how did Jordan Webb fare in a mediocre Pac12? Oh that's right, he got 1 win and 11 losses. Look, Crist didn't pan out at all. But Webb was never going to be the guy. Stupid comparison.

And Patmon was less than stellar all year long. I have no problem with Weis being real with him and letting him know he probably wouldn't see the field next year. I'm not sure why you think that's a bad thing. It's actually very noble and honest of Weis and it allows Patmon to finish his career somewhere he'll see the field (just like Webb).

MoralVictory 1 year, 7 months ago

Yep....clearly our 1-11 and was superior to CU's 1-11.

vd 1 year, 7 months ago

Especially with all those TD passes to our wide outs we had this year, compared to the ones Webb threw last year.

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

Sorry pal, but it's not Weis' fault Crist rarely throws the ball with good accuracy and when does the WR's drop it.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

MV - Sagrin ranks KU #86 and CU #142, so maybe there is a difference.

champdave 1 year, 7 months ago

He was good as the nickel back in a zone scheme when Gill was here. Struggled playing on the outside in a man to man scheme this year. He may have calculated that he'll only have a shot at the NFL if he transfers somewhere that plays zone.

bigjay83 1 year, 7 months ago

Tyler Patmon in the NFL. Thanks, man. That is easily the funniest thing I have read in weeks. Wiping the tears away as I type this.

champdave 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm not saying he'll get to the NFL. Just saying that if the NFL is still a dream for him he probably realizes that the only way to keep it alive a little longer is to go somewhere where he won't be put on an island with Big XII caliber receivers.

MoralVictory 1 year, 7 months ago

Here's betting that a circus tent couldn't cover you.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

It's sad that no one anymore blames coaching for mistakes made. I'm sure we all have plenty of reasons to hate on Charlie Weis for some of the dumb decisions he's made this season. And it's sad that we had a very athletic secondary this year, but no one in the local media or in this forum will admit that the problem is (and has always been) Clint Bowen. All I ask is for someone to give me just one example of KU corners bumping wide receivers on the line.

I was upset with Patmon on some occasions, but he clearly has the talent. The real problem is that Clint Bowen is such a mediocre coach that the only thing that was positive from Turner Gill's tenure was that he didn't hire him. I can't believe that Weis hired him just to be competitive in the KS market. If KS had 4- or 5-star talents then I would understand, but seriously? The risk is well beyond the gain!

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

You do realize that Dave Campo is also the secondary coach and the one spending the time with the DB's during individual drills, or are you just picking on Bowen because you don't like him? You also realize that he was the secondary coach under Mangino and played a big role in getting Charles Gordon, Aqib Talib, Darrell Stuckey, and Chris Harris to the NFL or are just neglecting facts to try and prove some point?

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

texas....if you read my post you would see that I pointed out our DBs athleticism, so being involved in individual skill practices was nowhere within my argument. And I do realize that Bowen was the DB coach under Mangino, that's why KU was always getting beat by big pass plays. Not to mention how horrific KU's special teams were this season (Bowen also ST coach bro). If you had been watching since the Mangino era you would see that the weakest part of all KU teams have been the defensive backfield. Just look at this season. How many times have the DL and LBs come up big on defensive only to have the DBs allow a 20- or 30- yard pass. It's not rocket science bro. If you consistently have bad schemes, then you will fail. How many blown coverages led to TDs during close games? It's that zone crap that gives the opposing receivers a huge cushion. Just watch any game this season and look for JUST ONE instance of the DBs up on the line of scrimmage in the WRs face. My point is that you would rather blame the players instead of the coaches. That's like blaming the American people for the national debt and not the administration.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I really do wish him well. He just couldn't compete at the Big 12 level, but he will be an alumnus of the greatest University in the country. Good luck, Tyler. Hope you have more success at your next stop. Rock Chalk.

danno1313 1 year, 7 months ago

Tyler is like everyone else on the KU defense. They are so SLOW on defense that they look like they re dragging an ATM behind them. SPEED please!

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

No, speed is the most overrated skill in football. Players with proper technique for their position, know the playbook, and can read the other side of the ball are what KU needs. Bradley McDougald, Ben Heeney, Huldon Tharp, all guys with below average speed, but are very good players because they have the 3 things above which allows them to play fast. Playing fast and being fast are two vastly different things and KU needs players who play fast.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Speed is like love - it covers a multitude of sins.

MoralVictory 1 year, 7 months ago

That was no ATM, that was your wife.

Adam McEwen 1 year, 7 months ago

sad to see so many mean spirited comments on here, made me realize I've been guilty of it myself, we need to be better than this. Granted, Patmon didn't have the tools to perform at this level, but the kid showed up and tried his best. Despite the difficulties of being outmatched, this team showed some heart this year, you've gotta give them some respect. Best of luck Tyler, and thank you for your efforts!

Keith Hummel 1 year, 7 months ago

Well said. Thank You! My faith in the Jayhawk fan base has been partially restored.

Fototherapist 1 year, 7 months ago

I wish him well, but I'm not going to miss him. He got burned so many times its not even funny. Personally, I was getting tired of all our little midget corners getting embarrassed week in and week out. Now we've got some size to match most B12 WR's.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 7 months ago

On December 4th I noticed the following tweet from Chris Harris to Greg Brown:

"Dang I just got word that coach Weis cutting players like its the league lol . Say it ain't so @G_B_LOCK5"

Greg Brown tweeted back the following:

"@ChrisHarrisJr LOL! u a fool bro, its getting to the real on these streets tho mane! on some real ish tho"

This suggests Coach Weis is "cleaning house", so to speak, and is essentially forcing some of these guys to find a new home. My suspicion is we will learn about some additional guys leaving the program in the coming weeks. I guess that's the nature of big-time college football, but it's sad nonetheless for guys like Tyler Patmon, who clearly didn't want to go.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

KU < big-time college football

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

Our schedule was nothing short of big time. You know any CBs outside of Greg Brown who faced tougher competition week to week?

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

What's your argument? That just because KU is WAY out of it's league it deserves recognition? That's like saying Iraq is big-time because they fought the US twice. Or Afghanistan is big-time because they fought the US and the USSR. If you seem to think that not winning a conference game since 2010 is big-time maybe you should re-calibrate your mindset and see the world for what it is, and not how Obama wants you to see it.

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

War and politics? Good grief there are plenty of forums for that, and this isn't one of them.

All I said was that KU played the toughest schedule in America, therefore they are playing big time football. Atl's comments suggest that to win in big time football, you have to acquire big time talent to match the big time talent in the conference, and that Tyler Patmon is paying the price for the nature of big time college football.

Mike Nicco 1 year, 7 months ago

Go to college to learn about the real world....

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

All of you are making the same point I am, except I wasn't vague or suggesting when I did. I don't blame Patmon or the players. I blame the decisions that the coaching staff has made in terms of play style and in-game decisions. I truly believe that to have a positive W/L you have to have people in charge who will make the right decisions. Unfortunately everyone here thinks it's proper to blame 20 year olds for the misgivings of 40 year olds. KU hasn't won a conference game since 2010, and that, gentleman, cannot be blamed on the athletes. And I will infuse war and politics into this because, in my experience, I've seen 20 year olds sacrifice their lives for the misgivings of 40 year olds. Because watching kids loss football games in no way compares to kids bleeding out.

Ralster: I do believe that KU is better than their record suggests. In fact, if they were in the MAC or C-USA they would be top of the list. However, neither of those conferences are what I consider "big-time"; hence "KU < big-time college football". Is it so hard to accept that? Let's be realistic. Would anyone here consider TCU basketball to be "big-time"? Denial isn't going to win games people. Holding people accountable for the decisions made is the first-step. If CW makes stupid calls then call him out for it! Don't blame Crist or Sims or Patmon. They didn't make the call.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

I imagine that Patmon was told he probably wasn't going to start but still had a role on the team if he chose to stay, and chose that he didn't want that role.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

What really sucks is that Gill is what set these guys back two years.

Chris1955 1 year, 7 months ago

Given the contract that Gill was given, which by all college standards was unusual; it seems to me, that there was influence outside Lew's guiding this process with a predetermined result. In my opinion, I think that BGL was instructing Lew to hire who she wanted as HC. We didnt even interview other candidates if i remember correctly.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 7 months ago

Good luck wherever you go. Sorry things didn't work out for you to stay your whole career here. I hope he goes somewhere that he gets to play and enjoy the game for one more year in college. Whether you liked his play or not he was blessed with the chance to play in college and do something he loves.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Many thanks to Tyler for giving us his all on the field. All the best going forward. RCJH.

yates33333 1 year, 7 months ago

When a cornerback is 4th on the team in tackles you got to wonder. Where are the linebackers and safeties?

B0B 1 year, 7 months ago

It is because teams were throwing at him all day long.

holidaysmore 1 year, 7 months ago

Say whatever you want but at least Weis is honest w/ his guys. He probably told him flat out his job wouldn't be guaranteed and if he thought other wise he should probably look some where else.

Appreciate all TP did for this school but lets be honest here. I haven't seen a DB getting burned that many times since the Toast Twins were here.

focojayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Best Tyler Patmon memory: Pick six on Cody Hawkins during "the comeback" against CU.

troutsee 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't care what a lot of you guys think, I liked Patmon and thought he played well. I wish him the best. He probably was told that his starting position was at risk and he decided to move on. Best of luck to him. I always thought he gave it his all.

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

Good to see the positive comments beginning to balance out the disrespectful ones. I can't imagine why anybody would bash on the kid. It makes no sense at all. He was a good student, he never got in trouble, he played his best, he was fiery and had pride in being a Jayhawk, which isn't necessarily easy considering his last three years here.

Campo has a vision of what he wants his CBs to be, and Patmon didn't fit. It's not a crime.

Good Luck Tyler. You DO have talent. We've all seen it. You've made some big plays for us over the years. I think that's how most of us will remember you. Carry this feeling with you and take it out on the QBs at your next stop.

Always a Jayhawk! Rock Chalk.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

No doubt the kid was less than stellar. But anyone who can put up with 3 coaching regimes in these dire times deserves a nod.

He's not BCS conference material, plain and simple. But a Jayhawk is a Jayhawk.

Wish him well.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Having said that...I can't lie. I will not miss watching him get burned time and time again.

beebe1 1 year, 7 months ago

LeadFarmer, TX10 Thank Goodness there are fans who know about, and care about, Defense. (Ralster, too) Hey, everyone knows Bowen is a nice guy, and great Jayhawk supporter. But he was never taught and can't coach, Defense! The worst thing about Campo is he doesn't really understand 'The Notre Dame Defense'. We need a coach who can teach Elmer's tackling, and Self''s coverage. The Defensive Scheme is important, but is quite a bit behind the other two. The whole Defensive Team needs to be taught those portions that were perhaps lacking in Tyler. meta ralster was the commenter about playing with Bowen -- same guy?

As Self says "Defense Wins Games".

Good luck to Tyler. Hope your next coaches do better on their teaching of Defense.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 7 months ago

Defense wins games is as constant as gravity.

milehighhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Just signed Kevin Short today - all-American DB

newjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Good luck TP. I have known you for three years now an you have always shown great respect and great class through this KU debacle. You definitely did not lose these games by yourself. The whole team lost the games- not TP by himself.