Originally published December 10, 2012 at 07:01p.m., updated December 11, 2012 at 12:01a.m.

Junior college cornerback Cassius Sendish picks Kansas

Hard-hitting Cassius Sendish became the most recent junior-college standout to pledge his services to the Kansas University football team, orally committing to KU coach Charlie Weis on Monday.

Sendish, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound cornerback from Arizona Western Community College, chose Kansas over offers from five other BCS-conference schools including Kansas State and Iowa State.

With multiple starting spots open in KU’s secondary, Sendish figures to have a shot to step into immediate playing time, and he believes he’s ready.

“I like to play against no-huddle teams, teams that like to throw the ball and spread the defense out,” Sendish told the Journal-World. “I’m gonna do my job. And if we’re gonna play man, I’m gonna have my man all game, and coach isn’t gonna have to worry about that. I know what I can do, and I’m confident that I’ll be able to do it in the Big 12 Conference. Of course, I’m gonna have to work for it, but I’m gonna do just that. My plan is to earn what I’m given.”

The chance to play right away, along with the opportunity to be coached by Weis and defensive coordinator Dave Campo proved huge in Sendish’s decision.

“There was no way I could turn down being coached by Dave Campo,” Sendish said. “He’s obviously one of the best DB coaches out there, and he’s coached players like Deion Sanders and Darren Woodson.”

Sendish was an all-region and all-conference selection this season at Arizona Western, the same school that produced KU wide receiver Josh Ford, who hosted Sendish on his visit back in September. Although the two came from the same school, they never played together. Sendish played just one season at Arizona Western after transfering from College of the Canyons in California.

The Washington, D.C., native is tightly connected to KU commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore, a linebacker, and junior-college defensive tackle Marquel Combs and safety Isaiah Johnson, both KU targets.

Sendish becomes the 15th athlete — and ninth juco player — in the Class of 2013 to commit to KU. He will sign his letter of intent Dec. 19 and is expected to enroll at KU in time for the spring semester.

Spencer coming early?

The Journal-World has learned that Dallas commitment Colin Spencer, a 5-10, 179-pound cornerback from Woodrow Wilson High, may be on pace to graduate high school early and enroll at KU in time for the spring semester and spring football.

Spencer, who orally committed to KU last June, made his official campus visit last weekend.

During his senior season at Woodrow Wilson, Spencer played both offense and defense. Although he was recruited as a cornerback, he could emerge as a candidate to play either defensive back or wide receiver in college.

Comments

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

Way to go Weis and KU football coaching staff.

Now Weis, it is your turn to coach, and make these guys winners.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

"...after transferring from College of the Canyons in California."

Holy crap. That's my neck of the woods. Gives me even more reason to cheer for the kid.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 4 months ago

Isaiah Johnson just committed too.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice - These guys need to understand they have a chance to play sooner than later. Speaking of Sooner, I haven't heard a word from Hutch High standout Geneo Grissom at OU.

This is what happens when you go to a school like OU for football:

He would so play if he transferred to KU. But the article didn't imply there were any notions of a possible transfer. It appears Venables little I-35 road trips will pay huge dividends with Grissom.

What a wasted player: http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/11/05/geneo-grissom-back-at-defensive-end-stoops-move-to-te-hasnt-come-together/

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

6'2, 190 lbs. This is good--we need big, fast, physical CBs. If anyone saw the Pats EAT the Texans on MNF, part of the reason was having a tough, bump-&-run CB to allow the D to put 8 men against the run: John Gruden doing the commentary kept alluding to this, and had big praise for Aqib Talib's coverage skills..and the bigger pix of what it allowed the d-coord to do.

Jean1183 1 year, 4 months ago

Can I order my season tickets now?

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 4 months ago

We are filling holes desperately needed. This is what Snyder does and it has worked so its a good model to follow for us. There should be a faster tema out there and I felt all season we neded more speed, so far it sounds like its coming.

russkie10 1 year, 4 months ago

You're not dreaming amatxjayhawk. The coaching staff is recruiting from Hawaii & Calif. to Brooklyn,NY and down to Florida as well as TX.

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Am I dreaming this or is this staff recruiting in a way that makes us less dependent on Texas players? If that is the case that could be a good thing since the local competition is so great.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 4 months ago

If Combs comes, which we'll know in about a week, we're talking some major improvement on defense here. Lots of speed and hard hitting tough guys with an attitude.

kureader 1 year, 4 months ago

"Cassius Sendish"

Say that name three times ... really fast. We need a nickname!

I like that he picked us over --- K-Straight!

Great job, Campo!

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

If Combs commits to KU, we'll be super deep at DT next season with Combs, Tedarian Johnson, Ty McKinney, Tavai, Agostino, Stowers, Young, Williams, and Tyler Holmes coming off his red-shirt.

dallashawk05 1 year, 4 months ago

Let's not forget McCain, Heaps, and the other big DT that wasn't eligible last year. Should be much improved.

fearthephog512 1 year, 4 months ago

Great get 'Hawks! Now hopefully Combs jumps on board. Rock chalk!

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

Also, we should be able to play man coverage more than 5% of the time next season despite losing 3 starters in the secondary. Hopefully JaCorey Shepard makes big strides with a full offseason at his new position and he overtakes Patmon on the depth chart.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

I think this coaching staff's recruiting strategy is the best way to get the best players possible to KU. All the JUCOs we have committed appear to be able to help immediately at positions where we need significant upgrades. I think our biggest needs now are at S, WR, DE, and LT. With 12 spots still available, I think we should use at least 2 at S, WR, and along the DL, and get at least one more CB and LT.

SEsco10 1 year, 4 months ago

Please bring Combs with you!!!

DreamTeam2013 !!!!

MoralVictory 1 year, 4 months ago

Winning recruiting battles against teams that beat us by a combined score of 1-million to 3 is definitely good news. Yes, we are going to get some guys because we have holes to fill, but you've got to crawl before you walk - so welcome aboard Cassius!

Let's go bowling!