Kansas defeats Colorado, 90-54

• 1 p.m., Dec. 8, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rebuffed: KU makes short work of former Big 12 foe in 90-54 win

Kansas forward Kevin Young celebrates a bucket by the Jayhawks against Colorado during the first half on Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Colorado

KU coach Bill Self talks after the Jayhawks' 90-54 victory over Colorado on Dec. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford, Kevin Young and Ben McLemore

Kansas players Travis Releford, Kevin Young and Ben McLemore talk after the Jayhawks' 90-54 victory over Colorado on Dec. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Colorado

About 100 University of Colorado students made a lot of noise while waving a Buffaloes banner Saturday afternoon in the northwest corner/general admission seating area of Allen Fieldhouse.

The fans — on hand to support the new and improved (7-2) Buffs of the Pac-12 Conference — were drowned out by Kansas University students situated in the north end zone, KU’s basketball players observing the proceedings during pre-game stretches and drills.

“They (KU fans) started singing the (Rock Chalk) chant early on, during warmups. I looked at Jeff and said, ‘Uh, oh, time to go,’'" KU senior forward Kevin Young said of his conversation with senior center Jeff Withey.

Taking a cue from their fired-up fans, the full-court pressing (7-1) Jayhawks pulverized Colorado, 90-54, the rout resembling an 89-63 KU victory when the Buffs last came to town — two seasons ago as a member of the Big 12.

“Coach (Bill Self) was talking about it in the locker room. They just weren’t ready for the pressure,” said Young, point man on KU’s man-to-man press who was assigned to harass the in-bounds man. “We are all athletic and we all can play that way, and we love to do it. I enjoy it a lot because I’m long,” added the 6-foot-8, 190-pounder. “Most of the time teams don’t expect it so they are going to try to throw it in quick. I can get there really fast.”

The pressing Jayhawks forced 12 turnovers while committing just two in blazing to a 43-22 halftime lead. Young — he had eight points at half — finished with a KU-career-high 16 points off 8-of-9 shooting. He scored 27 points versus St. Mary’s during his sophomore season at Loyola Marymount.

“Kevin was having fun today. That may have been the best game he’s played since he’s been here,” KU coach Bill Self said of Young, who had eight rebounds and two steals on a day Ben McLemore led the way with 24 points, 17 the first half. “He was terrific last year against Ohio State (14 points, four rebounds in KU’s 78-67 win last Dec. 10) in a pressure-packed game.

“What did he do that wasn’t anything except effort?” Self added. “He just ran. He jumped. He went after the ball. He didn’t make any shots that were hard shots. He turned it over once where he tried to make a great play. Other than that he played within himself and just played so hard.”

Young ran and ran and ran Saturday ... with a smile on his face much of his 20-minute stint.

“It’s just there,” he said of his energy, acknowledging his two years of cross country and track at Perris (Calif.) High School also may have helped his stamina. “I ran the mile, 4x4, the 400 and 800,” he said, indicating he was clocked at 49 seconds in the 400 and 1:59 in the 800.

Also ... “I sat out two years ago (after leaving Loyola Marymount and not playing for a year before transferring to KU),” Young noted. “I’ve just been waiting. But you’ve just got to play hard every time you get out there, because you don’t know when the next time you’ll get out there is.”

Young scored six points in a 9-0 surge that gave KU a 38-18 lead with four minutes left in the first half. The Buffs, who had cut KU’s early 17-point lead to 11, never threatened in the final half.

“Kevin means a lot to the team,” said senior Travis Releford, who scored 10 points with six assists. “He brings all the energy or most of it. I try to keep up with him as much as I can. We encourage Jeff (Withey, five blocks, eight points), Elijah (Johnson, 11 points, four rebounds, three assists) and everybody else to do the same. I feel if we keep up with his energy as much as he does the whole game, we’d be a tough team to beat.”

KU is always a tough team for Colorado to beat. The Jayhawks, who return the trip to Boulder next season, won their 19th straight game overall versus CU and 29th straight versus the Buffs in Allen.

“They (TV analysts) had us on ‘upset alert.’ That had us on edge and ready for the game,” Releford said.

The fans also deserved a mention for preparing the Jayhawks.

“It’s so much fun to play in here. It’s hard not to have fun in here,” Young stated.

The Jayhawks, who will be taking final exams this week, will next meet Belmont at 6 p.m. on Dec. 15 in Allen.

Comments

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 4 months ago

Just like the last time we played them in football we {blanked} the Buffaloes up the {blank}. Always good to {blank} a former Big 12 team. No good {blankety-blanks}.

midwest_muser 1 year, 4 months ago

Fearless prediction (or thinly veiled and unwanted advice for HCBS) By March, AW3 will be in the rotation and Nadir Tharpe will not. Tharpe will get enough minutes to prevent total atrophy in case EJ is injured, otherwise Trav is the backup point for 5 mins per game. AW3 can learn his role a lot more quickly than Tharpe can become a useful PG.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 4 months ago

I love Kevin Young's energy and that fabulous grin!! He looks like a big kid in a toy store after it's closed, playing with every toy he's ever wanted! And the way he run/hops down the court looks like he's on a giant pogo stick!

I'd never heard about his HS track career. “I ran the mile, 4x4, the 400 and 800,” he said, indicating he was clocked at 49 seconds in the 400 and 1:59 in the 800."

NO Wonder he can fly like that. Might be good for the whole team to do a little more running in the off-season and throw in some volleyball games, too, with Withey coaching!! Swat that thing outta here!

Rock Chalk, Kev Hawks!!

Steve Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

able to take my 6 yr old grandson to the game, mid way thru 2nd half he asked if we had to stay for all 4 quarters, it was such a beat down. I shared you are in luck we play halfs in college unlike biddy ball. I said we don 't leave until the end as the last couple minutes we send all the visiting teams out with the chant. Part of the memory.

I showed him the banners ask him to count how many FF and how many nationals. He said what is the MVC ? Then we discussed conferences and leagues. He ask how many total players we have including those on the bench. At one point he looked at me and said it must take a "large staff to run this place" I think he has a future in operations.

Loved getting the reserves some meaningful time. How fortunate we are to have Coach.

RCJHGKU

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Woa! I just read on Yahoo Sports that the UCLA/Texas game yesterday at 43,000 seat Reliant Colisseum drew only 2797 fans. Holy Moly! How will the Bruins ever rebuild that fanbase? Heck, the Jayhawks would best that attendance if our 3rd string walk-ons scrimmaged a local Lawrence h.s. team.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

Young is going to be the key to us getting back to the FF - if he plays like that every time out in the big games, we're going to be really tough.

William Blake 1 year, 4 months ago

"I feel if we keep up with his energy as much as he does the whole game, we’d be a tough team to beat.”

We'd be an impossible team to beat!

Great to see Kevin's energy (as usual) and great to see the team try to step up and match it!

Rock Chalk

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

I have a few questions for more knowledgeable fans. TRob and Tyshawn are barely on the radar on their respective teams? Will this change?

Secondly, I'm trying to get this year's video on Joel E. from a Gainesville Internet paper and can't find anything at all. Thanks in advance.

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

You can certainly see why Steve Fisher was so teed off that KU snagged Kevin Young away from San Diego State. He would probably be All League in their league.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 4 months ago

I missed most of the game. I see that B mac went to the line 11 times, and I love that. But how did he get there? Did he have his hands on the ball and drive past people? Or were they because of a good cut, catch and then got hacked?

dynamitehawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I woke up yesterday AM, realized the game was at 1:00, checked stubhub, slapped down way more than I should have for section 18 row 5 seats, grabbed a friend, and headed to Larry. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome decision. Most fun I've had in a long time, and while I missed the live blog and coverage, nothing compares to game day at The Phog. Young's lob dunk was unreal. We had several beautiful basketball possessions - seven to eight passes to find a big for an easy bucket. Stole several possessions on loose/jump balls, and the defense was spectacular. I'm happy to state that Allen Field House has more good looking women age 20 - 60 than I've ever seen in my life. Free State Brews afterwards. Hell yes it was a good day.

Theme song 2013:

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 4 months ago

How cool was that to see Tyler get the last points...

flyingfinn 1 year, 4 months ago

Great win and great play from our starters....still a little concerned with our bench play especially Perry Ellis, 17 minutes with 2 points and 1 rebound. He just does not look confortable out there.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 4 months ago

I love watching Kevin an Ben play...they love every second. They play hard, are crafty, and when they run down court smiling I get a smile too...corny sounding...sure, but it reminds me that this is a beautiful game, and these guys are living the dream. They know it too.

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Scary to look ahead to 2013-14, what with current outlook for pt. guard stability. I wager that Self and Co. are keeping an eye open to jr.cllg. guards, someone like Pierre Jackson, with experience to come in and resolve that glaring issue. Won't surprise me one whit to see Releford or Young bring the ball upcourt occasionally in the next few contests. If EJ should go down and is lost for a few games...YIKES!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

So out they go and even seeing the team bar hopping after a bad performance down Mass Street doesn't dampen Bill's spirits.

"But that was Tyler with the Colt 45, Bill! And AWhite3 with the Colorado Coolaid, and Perry with the MD 20/20! You remember what that did to you back in Stillwater that one night after your coach had been riding your butt too hard. It just made you disgusting!!!"

"Not to worry, Cin, baby, their just being freshman. Everything's going to be alright. Trust ol'Billy."

So: Monday at practice, Bill comes in and says in perfunctory fashion, "This may surprise some of you, but I'm going to have Travis play point for a little while, then Kevin. And while they're playing some point, Andrew, you run first string with them and shoot a three every time you touch the ball." The players all look stunned. "Just do it and don't ask a lot questions, okay?"

They run the sets as instructed.

"Okay," Self says, clapping hands, and smiling cheerfully, "Now, let's work on defense for the next two hours!! I've got some great ideas about how to stop these suckers from scoring the ball on us, so we don't have to worry about figuring out how to score more."

The players look at each other and nod, and realize things are back to normal.

A week later they whip the snot out Colorado.

Self walks in to the lockerroom after the win and slaps everyone on the back, then goes into his office and closes the door, pulls the blinds, and starts hopping around clapping his hands and saying, "Yipppeeeee, yippeeeeee, yippeeee, I just love defense. Its like bailing wire. It fixes everything."

But then a voice thunders down.

"Now, about Andrew..."

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Self starts to come up out of his kneel.

"Not so fast, Bill."

Self returns to his kneel and puts his forehead back in his palm, as one of his guards picks up his dribble to soon and then throws the ball into an opponents hands.

Self starts gnashing his teeth and whipping his head back and forth in coaching agony.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, NOOOOOOOO!!" Self screams half in tongues. "Not another T-U-R-N O-V-E-R! THAT WILL MAKE JAYBATE USE THE P-WORD..."

"The what?"

"Poptart!!!! Eveyrtime my players make a turnover he writes my players were baking pop tarts; that they were going Pillsbury!! Do you have any idea what seeing a player make turnover does to me, lord? And then having to suffer that stupid jaybate calling attention to it for days afterwards?"

"Yes, my son, I do. And I have a seat in purgatory waiting for him," the lord says.

"You do?" Self brightens noticeably.

"Yes, it is a seat in Missouri's arena in the middle of The Antlers watching Missouri endlessly play Princeton teams. It is as close as hell can be emulated in purgatory, I can assure yo and it awaits jaybate as surely as hell itself awaits serial aliases."

"Oh, yay, yay, yay! You are a just and wise basketball god," Self palming his hands together and interlocking several fingers together in joy and reciting, "Here's the field house and here's the steeple, open the doors and there's all the people...but no jaybate."

The basketball god clears his throat and says, "Now Bill, I have given you advice, but I have also given you free will. It is up to you to make your own decision about how to deal with the team."

Self still does not look up, but glances shiftily from side to side.

"Really?" Self says.

"Yes, my son."

So Self guts it out through the game, comes home happy as a clam after a very poor win, and says, "C'mon Cin, baby, let's go out tonight. Anywhere you want, baby."

"But the team didn't protect, honey," Cin says, "And you know how you are when they don't protect."

"Not to worry, baby, I'm in good with the basketball lord this time."

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

I only saw the last 15 minutes live, then watched the first 25.

Its fair to say Self's latest solution to the scoring problem is to play better defense. :-)

Defense is to Bill Self, what bailing wire was to my grand father, who owned a small grain elevator and farmed 1100 acres of land in Kansas.

Threshing machine acting up? Bailing wire.

Tractor acting up. Bailing wire.

Ford truck acting up? Bailing wire.

Conveyor belts acting up? BAILING WIRE!!!

Bill Self puts his head in his hands late in a game and secretly prays to the basketball god: "Lord, deliver me from these children and their lights not yet on. Give me the strength not send in my letter of resignation and bolt with Cin to Bali."

The basketball lord replies to Bill Self something like this: "My son, have you considered going long at point? Playing shooting forwards and power forwards at the point?"

Bill winces, his head sinking into his shoulders, his mouth pursing as if he just sucked on alum rock dipped in lemon.

"Okay, lord, okay," Self says trying to hurry out of the unexpected response.

"Bill," the basketball god says.

Self returns to praying position on the sideline as one of his trey shooters bricks another one.

"Yes, lord."

"Bill, have you considered playing Andrew White the Third. I sent him to you, because you preyed for it. You said that if you received a 6-6 inch shooting guard that could run the floor, you would never again utter profanities about jaybate asking if you were wearing zoysia plugs on your head."

Bill looks away, face corkscrewed, trembling, eyes pinched as tight as if crimped by can lidding machines in a paint factory.

"Er, uh, well..."

"His trey percentage is better than anyone elses right now," the basketball god thunders.

"But, but, but, but, uh, well, I, I...have...but, but, but..."

"But what?!" the basketball lord says.

"He...struggles...on...defense, lord. Its not that he's not going to be a very fine player and make an impact on the program. Its not that at all. And its not that I am not grateful, because I am. But...he...struggles...on...de-de-de-de-defense."

wrwlumpy 1 year, 4 months ago

The good announcer FF, was right in saying that KU's returning starters are too quiet. Having the smiling Pogo stick starting has certainly made all the difference in the world for this years team. Playing without a cast on his hand, he has gone from an energy guy to an energy guy who can now finish at the rim. The whole team is different with KY in the game.

That was the defense we've been waiting for. If EJ can stay healthy, and Naadir comes in to just run the offense and not dribble off his foot like he's done in the last two games, we will go very far this year. Ellis is a true Freshman and a very good one and his minutes are where they should be right now. How he and AW do in practices that we are unable to watch, should tell us to let Bill be the coach, and agree with him when all is sorted out. I thought that Ellis played his best game on defense and when AW can handle the speed and slide his feet better we will have the assasin from 3 that we've been waiting for.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 4 months ago

(continuing)

I'm not guaranteeing I have all the biographical facts 100% correct and am certainly not trying to read his mind. I'm just trying to point out his unusual basketball career that has certainly worked out well. It seems to me that he made several smart decisions that lead to great benefits, including an overseas trip to Switzerland and Paris this past summer and, of course, playing in the AFH, the absolute best venue for college hoops.

I'm not sure what KYoung's future plans entail. Does he think he can make it in the NBA? Overseas? The D-League for a while? I'm sure many people do not expect much out of him at the pro level.

Regardless of his future playing days, I do not doubt that choosing to take a year off to get school in order before transferring, and then picking the best and most competitive program available, was a great move. And if he stays in basketball/sports in some other capacity, having KU hoops on his resume and Bill Self as a reference would likely pay higher dividends than other roads traveled.

Might he get into coaching? Didn't HCBS reference that not too long ago? I hope he uses this senior year to develop his leadership abilities. I'm sure he's taking the oppurtunity to study Coach Self, who is obvisouly a master at his profession. In short, KYoung has done what it takes to make his future quite bright indeed.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 4 months ago

During the middle of conference play last year I said Kevin Young would barely see the court this year. Boy, do I look stupid! He's certainly earned his starting minutes.

I think KYoung has had and made for himself a very smart college basketball career. After a successful two years at a mid--major program close to home he decided (or was forced?) to leave to get his academics in order. But instead of imediately transferring to another school he chose to go to a junior/community college strictly to take classes while working out to keep up physically. And to keep in touch with hoops, he volunteered as a coach for a small school (maybe for a women's team?). After that year and with his grades/classes in good shape he looked at the landscape for the right fit with a team to play for.

San Diego State was an obviously good choice due to its location, program quality and coach, so he tentatively picked the Aztecs. But because of NCAA rules he was never bound to them so he could keep his options open. Due to some recruitment whiffs KU had an open scholly and possible playing time at the 4. I'm sure KYoung wondered how his skill level and tweener size would translate to such a program in a power conference, but he rolled the dice and signed on.

He only got about half the minutes last year as he did at Loyola-Marymount but they were on a much bigger stage, including a Final Four run that he had previously probably only dreamed about. And now during his senior year he is a starter on a contending team. I wonder if he envisioned this when he started his career as a freshman? Think about all the players who transfer who don't really improve their situation. Or all the mid-major guys who stay in the mid-majors. KYoung sure seems to have, as they say, "maximized his potential."

I also thought it was cool that he tried out for the Peurto Rican Olympic team--their loss for not choosing him, IMHO.

(continued)

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM has made a very solid case for the addition of AW3 to a 15 minute share of the game minutes. This team currently ranks 240th nationally in 3 pt. percentage! That's the biggest glaring weakness I can find in team stats. Ej is shooting 38,5% from the 3; Ben, 31.4%; Andrew, 40% (coming off the bench cold for iffy minutes while on a short leash). AW3 has scored 21 pts. in 39 minutes of play; EJ, 81 pts in 233 minutes. Andrew's stroke represents a facet sorely missing from current Jayhawk play.

bradh 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice picture. I think my favorite part of the game was when Kevin turned around with that big grin on his face.

MoralVictory 1 year, 4 months ago

I assume that Charlie had the FB recruits at the game. They had to be impressed.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm glad I checked the box score - I would have sworn that we got out-rebounded. But that was a really fun game to watch. High energy, very few mistakes and a lot of guys got a lot of minutes!

If only Bill Self knew how to recruit we could improve on that 95 wins out of the last 96 home games.

DevilHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Lesson of the day: the best coach and teacher is Self.

lawerencejayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

HighEliteMajor YOU SHOULD BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT

Of basketball operations or coach. Your post are informative and factional. Always a good read. Thanks I agree with your statement on Andrew White, a 6' 6" skilled 3 point shooter. Today AWIII scored 8 points in 8 minutes, 2 for 3 from 3 pt land. Very efficent. Needs more minutes. Kevin Young played great. No longer a secret weapon. With consistant point gaurd play this team could make a final four run.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 4 months ago

More than a "glue" guy, Kevin was the accelerator on Kansas's engine today. That accelerator was floored from the start and he never let up. A most impressive game for the kid with the BIG smile!

Ben is such a talented freshman (sophomore). It will be surprising if he stays beyond this year, but he is such a grounded individual he may give it another year.

Glad to see EJ push the ball more and make some moves inside. The more he does, the more free throws he's going to be making. (hopefully -and one's)

Travis was just solid and seems to be getting so much more confident with every minute he's on the court.

Jeff just keeps proving why Bill Self is the best at recruiting talent that other coaches either don't see or they misuse. Then Coach Self and his staff work incredible magic with that talent.

Naadir and Rio need to let the coaches teach them, because it seems, especially with Rio, that he reverts to his old ways when he gets on the court. (trying to prove he can be a stud)

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

This was probably the second best team in PAC 12 that we just destroyed.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

This was Kevin Young's day. No doubt. What an absolutely impressive performance in all aspects of the game. Please, no one call him "glue guy." That is undervaluing what this guy did, and can do.

Perry Ellis sleepwalked through his time on the court. 17 of the most underwhelming minutes yet from him. While a lot of us, me included, expect(ed) Ellis to displace Young as the starter .. I'm not so sure now. Four seniors, a stud freshman -- that's a potent starting five. It's the subs that need to step up. Starting with Ellis. Heck, Traylor wasn't much better -- but he gives us what we should expect.

The sub that will bring the skill we need more than anything is Andrew White. To say we're a poor 3 point shooting team is simply stating the obvious. This team is missing a penetrating point guard and a true scorer on the block. We need a true three point shooter. White's skill set deserves 15 minutes. He will reward us. He will provide us the 3 gun that will be needed on a cold night in Ames, or in a rough one at home vs. Okie St., or trying to get by a mid-major to advance to the sweet 16. We have to commit to getting this guy in, getting him in the flow, getting him ready to contribute when our season is on the line and we bump up against a UNI or VCU .. where we need a 5-8 from from 3 from someone. Self said after the OSU game that White played well. But then the very next game he gets zero minutes in the first 3/4 of the game. Self has to find minutes for him. It isn't hard. 15 minutes are there.

In the biggest let down of the day .. but the most predictable .. all of the talk about Tharpe and Adams, and other point guard stuff, never materialized. Adams' time on the court was a disaster. He went behind his back for no reason. Tharpe was first in. Tharpe stayed in with EJ. The talk was cheap. Self clearly isn't sold on Tharpe. But in the last three recruiting seasons, our only "point guard" score was Tharpe -- that's who he's got.

Terrific performance today -- and I realized I didn't even mention the best freshman in the country, Ben McLemore. Not one of the best. The best. This team will get even better.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 4 months ago

So I guess the move to the Pathetic 12 hasn't improved the Fluff-aloes' fortunes as much as they thought it did. It would really suck to live in Boulder with all the pothead Fluff-aloes fans, a bad football team, and an overrated basketball team. Proud to be a Jayhawk and to give these Big 12 backstabbers the @$$-whipping they so richly deserve. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, and to hell with Colorado.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 4 months ago

It was a great day, a great game. Loved every minute of the game.

Loved Tyshawn tweeting re Trav's dunk. Loved Tyler making the final basket and the reaction from the bench.