Originally published December 8, 2012 at 06:46p.m., updated December 8, 2012 at 08:28p.m.

Buffs’ coach: Kansas ‘manhandled us from start to finish’

Kansas forward Kevin Young wrestles for the ball with Colorado defender Andre Roberson (21) teammate Jeff Withey and CU forward Josh Scott (40) during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Colorado

KU coach Bill Self talks after the Jayhawks' 90-54 victory over Colorado on Dec. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford, Kevin Young and Ben McLemore

Kansas players Travis Releford, Kevin Young and Ben McLemore talk after the Jayhawks' 90-54 victory over Colorado on Dec. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Colorado

Colorado men's basketball coach Tad Boyle didn't waste time sharing his feelings following his team's 90-54 loss to Kansas University on Saturday.

"That was an old-fashioned (butt)-whipping right there. That's what that was," Boyle said in the first words of his postgame news conference. "There's no other way to put it. No excuses. Kansas just came out and manhandled us from start to finish. There wasn't a lot we could do about it."

CU posted season lows in points (54) and also field-goal shooting (37 percent) against an amped-up Jayhawks defense.

"Kansas came out and just took our heart, and we didn't do anything about it," Boyle said. "It's disappointing."

The Buffaloes also struggled defensively, allowing a season-high 90 points. That included 21 combined layups and dunks for KU and 46 points in the paint.

"It's not like they were hitting contested threes; they were dunking on us and absolutely humiliating us," CU sophomore guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. "There really is nothing else to say."

KU started the game on an 18-3 run in the first 5 minutes, 12 seconds.

Boyle said his team's game plan was to clog the paint, take away KU's transition and make the Jayhawks beat the Buffaloes with threes.

The coach said his team failed in all three areas.

"Let's make no mistake about it: The Colorado Buffaloes are not a good road team right now," Boyle said. "That's my fault. I've got to figure out what we've got to do to become a better road team."

Colorado also posted a season-high 18 turnovers.

"Kansas dictated us," Boyle said. "We have to be able to handle that pressure better than we handle it right now."

Boyle, who played guard at KU from 1981-85, left Saturday's game with a couple of positives, which included the play of Scott (19 points) and the defensive effort of Xavier Talton.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed in our performance," Boyle said, "but I also realize that we played a helluva team today in a heck of an environment."

Comments

MoralVictory 1 year, 8 months ago

I'll root for Boyle and CU in any game they play unless it's against us, Maryland or Tulsa. Here's betting that the "butt-whooping" will actually help make his team better.

Zstegs 1 year, 8 months ago

I like Boyle and the fact that he's having success, it makes us look all that much better as a program. That said, I think he will use this game to teach these young Buffs, and have them ready come tournament time.

Neom 1 year, 8 months ago

It has been proved that regardless which conference they are in it is the same result when they play Kansas. They must be happy they are not in Big 12(10) any more, as they now have way less chances of being whipped.

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 8 months ago

"I learned about playing in an environment like this," CU freshman forward Josh Scott said. "I don't ever want to feel this again." LOL

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 8 months ago

Good one but for my money the best quote ever from a CU player was when David Harrison as a freshman said after CU got beat at home by Kansas "I never expected to play a road game in Boulder".

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

HA! Do I recall Harrison's getting so upset in one game that he might have been escorted to the Colorado locker room, just to get control of his emotions?

David Brown 1 year, 8 months ago

I helped twice in making Coors Events Center become Allen Fieldhouse West. We managed to combine a KU/CU game with a weekend ski trip. Ex-coach Ricardo Patton would get so worked up by seeing all the Crimson & Blue in his house. That loss of home court has to be the biggest insult possible. If next years game in Boulder is on a weekend.......start waxing those skis!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 8 months ago

I was running like a 104 degree fever at the last KU game in Coors, pretty sure it was KU's last one there anyway when Selby was a freshman. It was the first time I attended and KU fans didn't dominate the stands, in fact it was kind of a difficult ticket to come by from what I remember.

TheGiftedOne 1 year, 8 months ago

Caught my first live game of the season today at AFH... needless to say the Phog was in midseason form and the crowd definitely helped the team gain all the early momentum. Also gotta hand out props to all five starters for playing with great chemistry and intensity, especially Kevin Young who played arguably his best game as a Jayhawk.

Stephan123 1 year, 8 months ago

Texas A/M is mediocre in football when in the Big 12 but does well in the supposedly superior SEC. Colorado is woeful in basketball in the Big 12 but wins the Pac 12 tourney championship last season. Interesting.

Phil Leister 1 year, 8 months ago

To be fair, the Pac 12 basketball was absolutely garbage last year and everyone knew it.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

This is one of the most athletic KU Teams! This team is young and still learning, wait until they figure it all out. The sky is the limit with this team.

Michael Johnson 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been saying this very same thing. all these experts on sportstalk and tv announcers are saying theres so many questions with this team. i thought it might take a month to put it all together, but we're practically there. how good will this team be when the light flips on for ellis?

chriz 1 year, 8 months ago

Finally! The blowout against a quality opponent we've been waiting for! I assume there was a pretty significant butt-chewing after our last game. I figured they'd come out ready to go today.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Gotta love the cameras panning to the Spirit of AFH.

Beate Williams 1 year, 8 months ago

Last week on one of the half-time shows the pundits were talking about what teams to watch in the "tourney" and they failed to mention KU but mentioned Okie State and Baylor; wonder how they feel now?