Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jayhawks, Wildcats vying for juco defenders, teammates

Kansas University commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound linebacker from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., has yet to sign with or suit up for the Jayhawks, but he already has sampled a taste of the rivalry between KU and Kansas State.

In Manhattan last weekend for an official visit with juco teammate and KU target Marquel Combs, Jenkins-Moore became even more fired up about his commitment to KU while standing on the sideline watching KSU’s victory over Texas.

“It showed me how intense the rivalry is and how much the fans care about those schools and the recruits,” he said of his interactions with KU and K-State fans both at the game and on Twitter. “I understand all the fans out there are different, but it doesn’t matter to me, I’m just ready to ball.”

After returning to California earlier this week, Jenkins-Moore, who originally hails from Louisville, Ky., solidified his commitment to Kansas both on Twitter and in person with Kansas coach Charlie Weis.

“He already knew that I would stay committed,” Jenkins-Moore said of Weis. “Me and coach Weis have been talking on Facebook a lot and I tell him, ‘I’m strong on the process and I’m strong on my commitment to Kansas because I want to make that difference for ’em.’”

The two Pierce CC defenders have been a priority for Weis, who has conducted in-home visits with both players and their families already this week.

“I appreciate that on their first day off since the season ended that they came to my parents’ house and Marquel’s parents’ house,” Jenkins-Moore said. “They told my mom that they were gonna make me go to class and academics would be a priority and everything was gonna be good for me. That was just another thing that made my mom happy, so it made me happy.”

It remains to be seen which school the 6-3, 305-pound defensive tackle Combs will select, but the Jayhawks appear to be very much in the mix, and Jenkins-Moore is doing all he can to inspire Combs to join him at Kansas.

“We would love to play together,” Jenkins-Moore said. “We’re not friends, we’re not homies, we’re like brothers. I was in his ear about (recruiting) a lot about a month ago, and we’ve been having long discussions about it, but lately, I’ve been keeping quiet and giving him the time to think about it himself. It’s his decision.”

Rivals.com’s Rob Cassidy reported in late November that Combs had narrowed his list to a top three of KU, Kansas State and Washington State.

Combs will graduate this month and he told Rivals he would make a decision Dec. 18.

CBSSports.com honors Sims

Junior running back James Sims, who, this season, became the 11th player in KU history to rush for 1,000 yards in a single season, was named to CBSsports.com’s all-Big 12 first team earlier this week.

Sims’ total of 1,013 yards came in just nine games after he served a three-game suspension to open the season.

Sims’ career total of 2,482 ranks him eighth on KU’s all-time rushing list, 1,359 yards behind all-time leader June Henley. Sims’ 27 career touchdowns rank third all-time, one behind Tony Sands for second, and 14 behind Henley.

CB reopens recruitment

Taylor Lewis, a senior at DeSoto (Texas) High has been removed from KU’s commitment list on JayhawkSlant.com and appears to have reopened his recruitment.

The 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback who committed to Kansas in late June also has offers from Oklahoma State and Washington State and has been rumored to be seriously looking at the Cowboys.

With Lewis no longer in the mix, KU sits at 13 oral commitments in the Class of 2013 and is expected to bring in roughly twice that many, with several coming from the junior-college ranks.

OSU offers Texas kicker

KU’s efforts to sign Arlington, Texas, place kicker Ben Grogan became a little more difficult recently, when Oklahoma State officially offered the 6-1, 175-pound player a scholarship.

Grogan told Jay Fielder of OStateIllustrated.com that he was leaning heavily toward the Cowboys. Grogan has plans to visit both Kansas State and Kansas in the near future and also is being pursued by Memphis.

Comments

Rodney Stice 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm attending the fiesta bowl to support the kittens. I shall wear my best jayhawk shirt and jacket as I sit in a crowd of purple. By the way my cousin and his wife graduated from ksucks. He was even on the football team in the eighties after Dickie.

I do get so tired of hearing about good the sec and p12 are. I hope ksucks beats them up like osu did to Stanford last year.

RCJ!

hawkdds 1 year, 4 months ago

ralster, hate is to severe, half of my neighbors are K-State alumni and we enjoy poking fun at each other but we all band together on important things like being helpful in time of stress and several households are mixed KU-KS. I love it that the KS game has been moved to year end and hope the friendly rivalry thrives. Mizzou has pooped in their nest and deservedly so, I just wish we didn't play at Sprint Arena--Fambrough wouldn't spend a dime in Mo. and I don't like to either. Anyway my point is we are all Kansans and I'm tired of the Toto jokes. Several years ago two of the major accounting firms CEO's were KU graduates, our medical school is ranked in the top 10, we've produced astronauts, hollywood actors and various other philanthropic individuals--so has K-State. The sport teams shake hands after competition,after all its just a sport so cut our neighbors a little slack, we are in this together. RCJH

Stater

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

But I shall tone down the "brimstone", as it isnt 1957, and I must be cognizant that there may be "soft" folks amongst KU nation...Just like Self has been lamenting "softness" in evidence on his squad at this point...so I'll try to be more considerate of fellow KU people, eh? Most people in life that I come across, I realize are simply not as competetive or driven as I am. Not only in sports, but in career & other endeavors as well. That's OK. We arent all the same. Not even amongst KU nation (obviously). Lesson for all of us.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

And to think just last month, I ordered the "new" BigXII official long-sleeve T with the BigXII logo on chest, and all 10 (current) BigXII team logos in color on the back. So I do support the conference. I have said for years and years to people wearing purple or burnt orange or Sooner crimson: "Hey...fellow Big12..." and tried to be friendly. Oh, I will still do that, but not so much for Purple now. Let those fools say 1 thing, and I've got a list of crafty, seemingly innocuous logic-hooks to throw at 'em. Probably fly over their heads, though (like the 2nd stringers they are...). Lol!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Ya, did you notice the BigXII got crapped on by the selection committee regarding KState? That's exactly what most all of the Purple people are saying the last few days regarding KSU. We could sympathize with them, as we (ku) gets snubbed in some fashion every year by the media, and occasionally by the selection committee as well...but I've heard too many KSUers say they root for whoever is playing against KU, even Missouri, OU, Nebr, or TX. Several said they were rooting for Kentucky in the ChampGame against Tyshawn and Thomas Robinson. Is that sentiment not painful to y'all? Its true.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry, hawk-dentist, but your statement "KSU being successful is good for all Kansans and the Big12" (while commendable, as most KU people are in this big-pix regard), is simply NOT echoed by the vast majority of the KState individuals I have met. They hate us like many KU people hated Mizzou, but obviously for their own different reasons. Quit facing east, turn around and face the real enemy to the west. They want this fight. And I want the W.

hawkdds 1 year, 4 months ago

ralster you're classless. K-State being successful is good for all Kansans and the Big12. I hope they beat Oregon to show both coasts the midwest is not a dumping ground and Kansas isn't a fly-over state which all the talking heads seem to believe. The SEC and PAC 12 get far too much adulation.

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 4 months ago

story on ESPN about Gundy staying at OSU...it would have taken a lot to get him to leave his alma mater...so we can forget that kicker. i'm sure there's another one out there. :)

let me just say, i agree and disagree with Raister's post...i think Weis will get us more competitive with KSU...that's why this first mini battle with them, i would love to win. two teammates in JUCO coveted by both schools, and they would both pick KU? man that would be awesome...it sounds like Jenkins-Moore is pretty set on coming here...i mean what's not to like?

as to another general post above about why kids would come to KU... they come here for the experience, playing time, and a chance to build something. every program MUST recruit....kids don't fall off the trees and land in your front yard. you have to work hard for everything...every year. just look at KSU...when Snyder left the first time, they finished last in the North, his last two years...LAST. that was after winning the league title.

Look at KU bball. Self has been getting hammered the last couple of years...why? he's lost it in recruiting...losing some top kids...blah blah blah. and then, voila...a top 2 recrutiing class. he has to work on it....just as hard as everyone else.

look, KU can win get in some real good football players, and beat KSU in a class (you don't think schools aren't negatively recruiting against KSU because Snyder is nearing his mid 70s? you dang right they are). HCCW knows that his continued rep and success as a head coach comes in the next couple of recruiting classes...they're going to set the stage for his final legacy. He and his assitants are hard after it.....they definitely get an A for effort....let's just get that quality difference, and then the football wins will come.

phog1004 1 year, 4 months ago

I am hoping Josh Ford steps into that WR role this year, as well as the JUCO WR we picked up, Mark Thomas. We also have Ishmael Hyman visiting this weekend, which would be a great pickup at WR. Between those 3, Turzilli, McCay, and Parmalee.....we should be abel to sufficiently replace and upgrade Pick, Patterson, Beshears, etc....

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree, we need another JUCO WR and as I had posted before, Mangina took us to a bowl in his second year via JUCOs and he inherited D 1AA type talent.

With 5 super bowl rings between Campo and Weis, Heaps at QB, and exceptional facilities, I look for a strong class to come in.

Rock Chalk

Robert Brock 1 year, 4 months ago

KU can offer up a lot of immediate PT to a juco WR. Gotta find someone who can play.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Well I am shocked we havent seen any KStupid trolls yet regarding a "juco player" visiting KStutter, standing on their sideline, then re-affirming his committment to KU! Look, for the sake of comparison: We know Bruce Weber cannot hope to even hold Self's jockstrap, but you cannot say the same regarding Weis vs. Snyder. Weis already beginning to beat Snyder with those hidden-gem juco guys. I will give 'em that Snyder is a good coach & they deserve to have their stadium named for the man...but we simply need the recruits to be able to compete (everybody in the nation knows that). We have concerns at almost every position regarding talent and depth (including RB after next season). Give Charlie time. Also never forget that Bill Snyder hates KU in the manner that Fambrough hated Mizzou, or Norm Stewart hated Kansas. Heard a story from a KU alum who literally got cussed out and F-bombed by Snyder personally just for being a "KU people". Ive also seen the behavior and comments (in person) of TOO many Purplepussies to let them skate free any longer. If they want a effin rivalry, they will get it. Now both KU turrets (bball and ftball) will turn from Mizzou towards Manlesshattan--time to blast em! Weber vs Self is a joke with a crimson&blue punchline: from Tyshawntagon-o-gloom to Elijahgon. And I cant wait to see Weis vs. Snyder as KU football fleshes out and comes up to speed. Those purplepansy fools better hope they dont get another Ron Prince--> the end is near for Snyder: I talked to a Snyder family friend who told me Snyder had a mild, brief mini-stroke the night before the KSuck loss. Pardon me for not sh!ttin' a tear for him.

phog1004 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, if we get Combs, and McKinney comes in as advertised, we could be greatly improved. Keon Stowers will have a year under his belt, and Tyler Holmes was an absolute beast, but needed this year to work on technique. We could have a nice little rotation to shore up the DT spots. Kind of excited about the LB spots too, with Heeny, Tharpe, Love, and Miles all coming back and Jenkins-Moore, Ash, and Fafili all coming in with Arnick coming off his red-shirt year.

Would like to see a stud Safety and CB come in through recruiting though, as that seems to be a spot that we are sorely going to miss Brown, Smith, and McDougald (Still holding out hope Shaw and Allen will be studs eventually)

Phil Leister 1 year, 4 months ago

Reports are that Gundy has been offered the job at Tennessee... It'd be nice if he took it and maybe the above players being courted by OSU would reconsider KU.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 4 months ago

75 percent of K-States impact players are juco transfers in their SECOND YEAR at Silo Tech. I know we need help right now but I'd like to see some of our juco guys redshirt next year.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 4 months ago

Mckinney was a Defensive Tackle. sorry if I forgot to mention that.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt Tait,

I've been wondering about Ty Mckinney. Any news on him? He was supposed to be a stud. With he and Combs in addition to what we already have we could show huge improvement next year. Any news on him? Haven't anything for a long time!

Robert Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

Everyone understands the importance of recruiting. Weis' emphasis on that is no different than any other coaches'. During the only year Turner Gill could focus 100% on recruiting, he had a Top 40 class. I think Rivals had him at #34. It will be tough for Weis to come close to match that.

bville_hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Recruiting is the lifeblood of ANY successful college sports team. Charlie gets that.

Stay the course. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Lucas Town 1 year, 4 months ago

It would be great to land some good talent, but kids want to play for great teams. Kids want to go to Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, UCS and Texas. Just makes me wonder sometimes about kids that want to come to Kansas. I think they come to Kansas for a reason, they are not the cream of the crop and have to be coached up emmencely. I would love to see some 4 and 5 star kids headed our way. Get to work HCCW.

John Mueller 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't usually get excited about stories about kickers, but after watching our kicking game this season, i think we need to sign 2.

Never have I personally observed such a lesson on the impact of field position / ability to take 3 from the 35 yd line vs. being essentially forced to go for it on 4th down.

Maybe the guy is a senior, but good grief, OSU has an amazing kicker so kind of surprised we can't compete for the commitment....

swunruhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Keep the football stories coming! Great info. Thank you.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 4 months ago

Quite frankly, looking at Taylor Lewis's highlights, I wasn't all that impressed with the kid any way. But this Combs kid, I think if he visits Kansas, he'll commit to becoming a Jayhawk. I like this LB from Cali, 4.5 40 will give him the ability to cover TEs over the middle and make some plays, plus he will be able to pursue the ball and make some punishing hits. That's a 4.5 40 and he weights 240 lbs. Just think if he can drop 15 lbs and get to a 4.4 at LB.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 4 months ago

Rivals now has Grogan listed as committed to OkState.