Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jayhawks, Wildcats vying for juco defenders, teammates

Kansas University commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound linebacker from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., has yet to sign with or suit up for the Jayhawks, but he already has sampled a taste of the rivalry between KU and Kansas State.

In Manhattan last weekend for an official visit with juco teammate and KU target Marquel Combs, Jenkins-Moore became even more fired up about his commitment to KU while standing on the sideline watching KSU’s victory over Texas.

“It showed me how intense the rivalry is and how much the fans care about those schools and the recruits,” he said of his interactions with KU and K-State fans both at the game and on Twitter. “I understand all the fans out there are different, but it doesn’t matter to me, I’m just ready to ball.”

After returning to California earlier this week, Jenkins-Moore, who originally hails from Louisville, Ky., solidified his commitment to Kansas both on Twitter and in person with Kansas coach Charlie Weis.

“He already knew that I would stay committed,” Jenkins-Moore said of Weis. “Me and coach Weis have been talking on Facebook a lot and I tell him, ‘I’m strong on the process and I’m strong on my commitment to Kansas because I want to make that difference for ’em.’”

The two Pierce CC defenders have been a priority for Weis, who has conducted in-home visits with both players and their families already this week.

“I appreciate that on their first day off since the season ended that they came to my parents’ house and Marquel’s parents’ house,” Jenkins-Moore said. “They told my mom that they were gonna make me go to class and academics would be a priority and everything was gonna be good for me. That was just another thing that made my mom happy, so it made me happy.”

It remains to be seen which school the 6-3, 305-pound defensive tackle Combs will select, but the Jayhawks appear to be very much in the mix, and Jenkins-Moore is doing all he can to inspire Combs to join him at Kansas.

“We would love to play together,” Jenkins-Moore said. “We’re not friends, we’re not homies, we’re like brothers. I was in his ear about (recruiting) a lot about a month ago, and we’ve been having long discussions about it, but lately, I’ve been keeping quiet and giving him the time to think about it himself. It’s his decision.”

Rivals.com’s Rob Cassidy reported in late November that Combs had narrowed his list to a top three of KU, Kansas State and Washington State.

Combs will graduate this month and he told Rivals he would make a decision Dec. 18.

CBSSports.com honors Sims

Junior running back James Sims, who, this season, became the 11th player in KU history to rush for 1,000 yards in a single season, was named to CBSsports.com’s all-Big 12 first team earlier this week.

Sims’ total of 1,013 yards came in just nine games after he served a three-game suspension to open the season.

Sims’ career total of 2,482 ranks him eighth on KU’s all-time rushing list, 1,359 yards behind all-time leader June Henley. Sims’ 27 career touchdowns rank third all-time, one behind Tony Sands for second, and 14 behind Henley.

CB reopens recruitment

Taylor Lewis, a senior at DeSoto (Texas) High has been removed from KU’s commitment list on JayhawkSlant.com and appears to have reopened his recruitment.

The 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback who committed to Kansas in late June also has offers from Oklahoma State and Washington State and has been rumored to be seriously looking at the Cowboys.

With Lewis no longer in the mix, KU sits at 13 oral commitments in the Class of 2013 and is expected to bring in roughly twice that many, with several coming from the junior-college ranks.

OSU offers Texas kicker

KU’s efforts to sign Arlington, Texas, place kicker Ben Grogan became a little more difficult recently, when Oklahoma State officially offered the 6-1, 175-pound player a scholarship.

Grogan told Jay Fielder of OStateIllustrated.com that he was leaning heavily toward the Cowboys. Grogan has plans to visit both Kansas State and Kansas in the near future and also is being pursued by Memphis.

Comments

Eric Dawson 1 year, 9 months ago

Rivals now has Grogan listed as committed to OkState.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Quite frankly, looking at Taylor Lewis's highlights, I wasn't all that impressed with the kid any way. But this Combs kid, I think if he visits Kansas, he'll commit to becoming a Jayhawk. I like this LB from Cali, 4.5 40 will give him the ability to cover TEs over the middle and make some plays, plus he will be able to pursue the ball and make some punishing hits. That's a 4.5 40 and he weights 240 lbs. Just think if he can drop 15 lbs and get to a 4.4 at LB.

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

Where are you getting this information that Jenkins-Moore weighs 240? This article has him at 210, which is actually relatively small for a LB.

Kman_blue 1 year, 9 months ago

I think he's talking about Manti Te'o's 2nd cousin, Samson Faifili, who's 5'11" 240lbs. out of American River C.C. in Sacramento, CA. He committed to KU a couple of weeks ago in part because of Manti talking up coach Weis to him.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks. That was as solid a highlight reel as I've seen in a while. Every tackle was sound, and the inside blitz looked downright nasty. I can see why they call him Lil Polamalu. In the second half of the video, with his hair grown out, he's bigger and faster and blowing up the backfield on those blitzes. He looks EXACTLY like Polamalu on those plays.

Awesome!

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

I wasn't talking about Jenkins-Moore. Maybe I should have said his name, but rivals.com lists these guys and you don't have to subscribe to see the names.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

sorry for the double - missed yours phog

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

Combs has already visited - last fall (Sept?).

Stan Unruh 1 year, 9 months ago

Keep the football stories coming! Great info. Thank you.

John Mueller 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't usually get excited about stories about kickers, but after watching our kicking game this season, i think we need to sign 2.

Never have I personally observed such a lesson on the impact of field position / ability to take 3 from the 35 yd line vs. being essentially forced to go for it on 4th down.

Maybe the guy is a senior, but good grief, OSU has an amazing kicker so kind of surprised we can't compete for the commitment....

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 9 months ago

Kickers must be HARD to recruit. The good ones sign with top teams and start for 4 years. We need to find a disgruntled transfer.

DXJhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Yet Rice was able to get an excellent kicker

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

It would be great to land some good talent, but kids want to play for great teams. Kids want to go to Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, UCS and Texas. Just makes me wonder sometimes about kids that want to come to Kansas. I think they come to Kansas for a reason, they are not the cream of the crop and have to be coached up emmencely. I would love to see some 4 and 5 star kids headed our way. Get to work HCCW.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

immensely?

Kids also dream of playing and getting to the next level. We definitely offer the former, and with it an opp for the latter. This is particularly true of JC's.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Higher ranked kids come to KU for playing time. Weis has said it's one of, if not the biggest selling point. Sure if you get an offer from Alabama, Ohio St., USC etc. you might go just to be a part of it, but if you are getting offers from Oklahoma St., Cal, Virginia Tech, or any other of the second tier teams, and you aren't going to play much, Kansas starts looking pretty good. These kids want to play more than they want to watch their team win from the sidelines.

I think Charlie is really good at selling that point. "Come to Kansas and be a part of something special. How special will be up to you, because you will be playing." Any kid who thinks he's worth his salt will buy that idea.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm trying not to be too critical because I too think that Weis could turn things around and I do like what I've seen so far for the most part, but if we don't get some wins next year, Weis isn't going to be able to sell JACK SQUAT and might be living in a....VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER. Okay, maybe a very nice mobile home off a scenic lake shore. Well, probably more like a million dollar mansion off the coast of Florida, but even so....he needs to win next season.

bville_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Recruiting is the lifeblood of ANY successful college sports team. Charlie gets that.

Stay the course. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

Everyone understands the importance of recruiting. Weis' emphasis on that is no different than any other coaches'. During the only year Turner Gill could focus 100% on recruiting, he had a Top 40 class. I think Rivals had him at #34. It will be tough for Weis to come close to match that.

bville_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Where have Kansas State's last 10 recruiting classes ranked with Rivals?

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

A lot of that was due to hiring Reggie Mitchell.

trajanj 1 year, 9 months ago

Having a highly ranked class and finding the players to help you win games and fill spots you need are two different things. In Gill's 2 years he didn't sign a single interior defensive lineman.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

ultimately these HS kids don't really care where they go to college, because they really dream of playing in the NFL.

if I were a HS kid with the dream of playing in the NFL, then I'm going to want Weis and Campo on my side moreso than Turner Gill.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Matt Tait,

I've been wondering about Ty Mckinney. Any news on him? He was supposed to be a stud. With he and Combs in addition to what we already have we could show huge improvement next year. Any news on him? Haven't anything for a long time!

Matt Tait 1 year, 9 months ago

Got a call in... Hope to hear back from him.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah Tavia was supposed to be an NFL caliber stud as well...but we saw how that turned out.

Boouk 1 year, 9 months ago

Who said he was NFL caliber?

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Mckinney was a Defensive Tackle. sorry if I forgot to mention that.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 9 months ago

75 percent of K-States impact players are juco transfers in their SECOND YEAR at Silo Tech. I know we need help right now but I'd like to see some of our juco guys redshirt next year.

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

Reports are that Gundy has been offered the job at Tennessee... It'd be nice if he took it and maybe the above players being courted by OSU would reconsider KU.

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, quite the post. I hate K-State as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time knocking Snyder. I don't believe the "heard a story form a KU alum who got cussed out by him" stuff. Even if that is true, it takes nothing away from his coaching abilities. The guy has resurrected K-State twice now.

Again, I hate K-State, the town of Manhattan, and their fans. But any KU fan who tells you he wouldn't take Snyder as our coach is lying.

shottybotch 1 year, 9 months ago

simply classless. please go and be a kstate fan

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

ralster - Coming from a KU grad, you are an idiot. Drop the name calling and grow up. I hate K-State as much as the next guy, but come on. You are making descent respectable KU fans look bad. If Snyder had a mild stroke then show some kind of compassion, my god! If Pinkle or Quinn Snyder for that matter had some serious health issue I wouldn't be on here acting like you.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

Hate is a wonderful word. Maybe I should have said dislike.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 9 months ago

You don't have to apologize for having no class. Just don't expect people with any to empathize with you.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 9 months ago

If they're so classless, what are you trying to prove by lowering yourself to their level, sir?

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Three things, Ralster:

1. KState really does hate KU as you are suggesting.
  2. KU was the only team that sucked in the BXII this season as the KState fan pointed out.
  3. KU really does not care about their football as KState fans are suggesting.

So, until we start at least making a game out of it, the smack talk from KState fans will continue.

squawkhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Your jealousy of KSU's success is overwhelming. You sound like a KSU fan.

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

KU can offer up a lot of immediate PT to a juco WR. Gotta find someone who can play.

Boouk 1 year, 9 months ago

We landed JUCO WR Mark Thomas after the ISU game. He's 6'2 210 pounds and runs a 4.4 40, according to jayhawkslant.com. If he can just catch he'll be really good.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

How crisp are his routes and can he CATCH?

Jim Jackson 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree, we need another JUCO WR and as I had posted before, Mangina took us to a bowl in his second year via JUCOs and he inherited D 1AA type talent.

With 5 super bowl rings between Campo and Weis, Heaps at QB, and exceptional facilities, I look for a strong class to come in.

Rock Chalk

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 9 months ago

story on ESPN about Gundy staying at OSU...it would have taken a lot to get him to leave his alma mater...so we can forget that kicker. i'm sure there's another one out there. :)

let me just say, i agree and disagree with Raister's post...i think Weis will get us more competitive with KSU...that's why this first mini battle with them, i would love to win. two teammates in JUCO coveted by both schools, and they would both pick KU? man that would be awesome...it sounds like Jenkins-Moore is pretty set on coming here...i mean what's not to like?

as to another general post above about why kids would come to KU... they come here for the experience, playing time, and a chance to build something. every program MUST recruit....kids don't fall off the trees and land in your front yard. you have to work hard for everything...every year. just look at KSU...when Snyder left the first time, they finished last in the North, his last two years...LAST. that was after winning the league title.

Look at KU bball. Self has been getting hammered the last couple of years...why? he's lost it in recruiting...losing some top kids...blah blah blah. and then, voila...a top 2 recrutiing class. he has to work on it....just as hard as everyone else.

look, KU can win get in some real good football players, and beat KSU in a class (you don't think schools aren't negatively recruiting against KSU because Snyder is nearing his mid 70s? you dang right they are). HCCW knows that his continued rep and success as a head coach comes in the next couple of recruiting classes...they're going to set the stage for his final legacy. He and his assitants are hard after it.....they definitely get an A for effort....let's just get that quality difference, and then the football wins will come.

hawkdds 1 year, 9 months ago

ralster you're classless. K-State being successful is good for all Kansans and the Big12. I hope they beat Oregon to show both coasts the midwest is not a dumping ground and Kansas isn't a fly-over state which all the talking heads seem to believe. The SEC and PAC 12 get far too much adulation.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 9 months ago

Everybody wants the win. You want to celebrate the coach having a stroke. Learn to be a KU fan and not an imbalanced miscreant. People like you are the reason schools' fans "hate" each other. It's juvenile an irrational.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 9 months ago

Congratulations, you've managed to earn the contempt of the entire Jayhawk nation!

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah and I don't echo you. Sure I wanna beat KSU. And sure I cheer for the Hawks everytime we play them. But I have way too many friends and family that attended KSU to hate them like Mizzou. Maybe that will change since Misery left but for now I'm still pulling for them against Oregon. Synder is a HOF coach IMO. He deserved to win out this year if anyone ever has as a head coach. He's meant more to the cats than any of their fans that I know realize. I'm old enough to remember the days when they held the nations longest losing streak. Hell my uncle played there back in the late 60's with Lynn Dickey. He was a starting OLineman. It's hard to cheer for a PAC-12 school against my uncles team for no other reason than because many of their fans suck. I'll take the high road here and cheer for them in their bowl game even if they don't return the favor. Someday soon we'll be competing with them on an even field with equal talent. Any fan that says they don't prefer this rivalry to be a good game every year isn't really a fan. Hopefully very soon we'll be competing. Rock Chalk

hawkdds 1 year, 9 months ago

ralster, hate is to severe, half of my neighbors are K-State alumni and we enjoy poking fun at each other but we all band together on important things like being helpful in time of stress and several households are mixed KU-KS. I love it that the KS game has been moved to year end and hope the friendly rivalry thrives. Mizzou has pooped in their nest and deservedly so, I just wish we didn't play at Sprint Arena--Fambrough wouldn't spend a dime in Mo. and I don't like to either. Anyway my point is we are all Kansans and I'm tired of the Toto jokes. Several years ago two of the major accounting firms CEO's were KU graduates, our medical school is ranked in the top 10, we've produced astronauts, hollywood actors and various other philanthropic individuals--so has K-State. The sport teams shake hands after competition,after all its just a sport so cut our neighbors a little slack, we are in this together. RCJH

Stater

Rodney Stice 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm attending the fiesta bowl to support the kittens. I shall wear my best jayhawk shirt and jacket as I sit in a crowd of purple. By the way my cousin and his wife graduated from ksucks. He was even on the football team in the eighties after Dickie.

I do get so tired of hearing about good the sec and p12 are. I hope ksucks beats them up like osu did to Stanford last year.

RCJ!