Monday, December 3, 2012

Jeff Withey wins Big 12 player of week

Kansas center Jeff Withey gets a long arm over a shot by San Jose State guard Xavier Jones during the first half on Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas center Jeff Withey was selected as the Big 12's player of the week, the conference announced Monday.

The 7-foot Withey helped Kansas to a 2-0 week with wins over San Jose State (70-57) and Oregon State (84-78). The senior recorded the 13th triple-double in Big 12 history and just the second official one in KU history with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 12 blocked shots versus SJSU on Nov. 26. Withey's 12 blocks also are a Big 12 and school single-game record.

Withey averaged 16.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 7.5 blocks while shooting 70 percent (14-of-20) from the field in the two games. He has five career contests with eight or more blocked shots.

KU has now taken the honor two weeks in a row, as senior guard Travis Releford was the Big 12's player of the week on Nov. 26.

Comments

KGphoto 1 year, 10 months ago

EJ are you just gonna stand there and let these guys collect all the hardware? Get in on this. We NEED you to.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

Could use a percentage wheel on who will win the next award for KU.

Withey- 35 BMac-25 Rel- 15 Perry-10 EJ-10 other-5

Phil Leister 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll give you 20-1 odds that it won't be Perry. I'd take that bet all day long.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

If the bet is for next week, I would totally agree with you. If it is for some week in late January, I might pick Perry. You can see little things starting to click, and one of these days I think he'll put it all together. When that happens, he could explode statistically. We really need another scorer in the post and you can see Self pushing him to be that guy.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

Rap - Perry can't help but be that guy as there really isn't another option as far as O is concerned. That isn't meant to bag on Young or Traylor - just a recognition that O isn't as much of their game. They each bring valuable pieces to the puzzle that will be needed to finish the picture.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

pre>ESPN.com on their NCAA BB page has a blog in which they mention, only two major college players (since blocks have been recorded) have averaged at least 5 blocks and 10 points or more in a season: Alonzo Mourning and Sh** O'Neill. Not bad if Withey can keep those blocks coming. With Self's offense, JW should be able to average at least 10 points per game. ESPN also mentions Jeff as one of the better contenders for POY award. If, as most of the commentators said after last season, Davis won the award last year (over TRob) because of his blocking ability, why couldn't/shouldn't Withey this season? I mean, Jeff is averaging more blocks than Davis did, at least so far.

And congratulations to Jeff (and to Releford last week) for winning the Big 12 POW awards. Let's see how many POW awards KU can take home this season.

That, plus all those ESPN Plays of the Day highlights, which (I think) Ben Mc. already has 2, and Traylor has 1. Can't hurt when it comes to impressing possible recruits. They all hope someday to see their accomplishments on ESPN.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Hmmm? Tried to edit the "

off the ESPN at the beginning and it didn't work. I'm just not a computer geek.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Bah! Humbug! This could turn me into Scrooge. That reply came out worse than the original post!!! It was supposed to say, "Tried to edit the

off the ESPN at the beginning...  And then, it separated the letters in 'computer'. Hate to imagine how this reply might turn out.

thebruced 1 year, 10 months ago

All is forgiven if you're as cute as your avatar. If you're really a guy, learn to cut and paste! LOL

This is all in jest! Thanks for the info, Alohahawk!

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

Imagine how good this team can be when they start putting it all together. If EJ gets a healthy, that could make a big difference.

And don't worry about the computer stuff, Aloha. I'm sure I would have had the same problem.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

What was the total from last year?

Did we beat the rest of the league like we have in Championships?

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Very nice accumulation of honors, to date, for this squad. I will be pulling for Jeff all season long to maintain an average above 5 blocks and 10 points per contest. Looks very much in the realm of possibility. And I will not be at all surprised to see Perry Ellis win a Big 12 POY honor before March. Perry is a rocket on the launch pad.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Oops! Player of Week, rather than POY for Perry this season....

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Look at Jeff's body position in the picture at the top of this story. I can't even do it just standing in my flipping robe. His butt is sticking out. His back arches out to about to his bottom ribs, then curves away from the opponent up to his shoulders, then his arm about the length of a fly rod extends not only up 2-3 feet above the offender but joints out over him like some kind of tower crane!!! Holy cow!!!

The refs apparently don't call you for contact with your stomach.

His nickname ought to be "Tower Crane."

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Jeff's hand from wrist to finger tip maybe as long as my forearm!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a hunch that Jeff is blocking shots even better than last season, because he seems a little lighter and more agile. It costs him staying on spots, but he can get to swats better. Interesting trade-off that seems to have been made.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Just as a repution of fouling will get you in trouble with the refs, Jeff's reputation as NCAA shot blocking star will garnish him more and more leeway with the refs.

I am not encouraging him to change his style but as the season progresses, refs are only human and they will see contact by Jefff against his opponeent, unless outrageously excessive, as "part of his style".

His portfolio is already impressive [NCAA shot block record holder, national senior MVP candidate, a triple double, leading the nation in blocks, high profile team, etc.].

If the Jayhawk season maxxed out, Jeff could get close to 200 blocks...in one season!!!

ddhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Jeff Withy is on track to become the best Jayhawk center since Wilt. He is becoming a solid scoring threat to add to his prowess as a defensive player.
The big disappointment to me is the slow development of Perry Ellis. By this time in the season I had expected a much greater contribu tion. An observation: I become concerned when Jaybate doesn't comment on an important story. I fear he has finally been commited to the Home for the Terminally Verbose.

JHWK 1 year, 10 months ago

With his size, there is almost no reason why Jeff isn't flirting with AVERAGING a triple double. He should have a double double in the bag. If he learned one thing from TRob, it was to attack the D board with a vengeance.

He needs that killer instinct that he has on his face for about 30 seconds a game, for the whole time he is on the floor. It is his board, and the only way someone gets the rebound is by taking it from him.