Friday, August 31, 2012

Guard ‘Cat’ Barber visiting Kansas

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

One of the top high school basketball point guards in the Class of 2013 will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University this weekend.

Anthony “Cat” Barber, a 6-foot-2, 165-pound senior from Hampton (Va.) High School who is ranked No. 9 overall by Rivals.com, will be on campus today through Sunday morning.

He’s Virginia’s reigning Group AAA player of the year after averaging 21.3 points a game for the Crabbers, who went 27-5 and won the school’s first state championship in 15 years.

“He’s a McDonald’s All-America-type player, a difference-maker,” said Shay Wildeboor, analyst for Rivals.com. “He’s probably the fastest point guard in the class in terms of getting the ball up and down the court. He’s a playmaker and a scorer, a guy the staff identified early. His AAU coach (Boo Williams) has known coach Dooley (Joe, KU assistant) for 30 years and knows everything there is to know about KU’s program.”

Barber has one of the most colorful nicknames of anybody in the recruiting class.

“When I was little, my sister said I used to run around and climb on stuff,” Barber told NBCSports.com, in explaining the moniker. “I guess she said I was like a cat, so they just started calling me that.”

Apparently, it had nothing to do with being as quick as a cat.

“That could be too,” he told NBCsports.com, “but I just used to move a lot, so she called me that.”

Barber has a final list of KU, Alabama, Louisville and North Carolina State.

“Kansas has great tradition, and coach (Bill) Self does a great job,” AAU coach Williams told jayhawkslant.com. “Everybody knows that Kansas is a great program, but Anthony wants to make sure he’s comfortable and he wants to see how he interacts with the team.”

Golf tourney ahead: There’s still room for four or five more foursomes in the Family Promise Golf Tournament, set for 1 p.m., Sept. 10, at Alvamar. To register a team or purchase tickets to the Sept. 9 auction party at Maceli’s, call Joe Reitz at 785-331-5024. Or one can sign up online at lawrencefamilypromise.org.

Former KU All-America forward Wayne Simien and Cindy Self, wife of KU coach Bill Self, are co-chairs of the two events.

“This is their fourth year. They have been helpful and enthusiastic about Family Promise,” Reitz said. “Wayne has provided scholarships to some kids in need to his Called to Greatness camps and 3-on-3 camps,” Reitz added. “Cindy is always right in there available to help.”

The mission of Family Promise is to “transform the lives of homeless children and their families by providing safe shelter, food, counseling, and training in partnership with local communities of faith through hospitality and daily living support in a compassionate setting. The program is designed to address the needs of families and equip them to move into permanent housing as quickly as possible.”

Comments

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

Any reason his final list doesn't include the usual suspects (UNC, UK, etc)? I'm always optimistic when our competition for a recruit are not traditional powers, but that doesn't always mean a lot.

Ben Kane 2 years, 1 month ago

maybe he told those guys he wasn't for sale.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 1 month ago

Andrew Harrison is the reason why UK isn't recruiting Barber and UNC has already signed PG Nate Britt...

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 1 month ago

I really, really, really, really, hope we land this cat. I'm pretty confident we will

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

Normally I really, really, really, really HATE any kind of cats when it comes to basketball, but I'm definitely willing to make an exception in this case!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Hope we get him but still think a quality big should be our priority.

jayhawker97 2 years, 1 month ago

this Barber is a really really bad 'Cat. he'll wreck havoc any team's D with his claws. he'll be a great addition to the team.

DDDHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to Wayne Simien and Cindy Self for their giving spirits, and for reaching out to those in need!

OakvilleandJaybatesBitch,

Exponentially low.

Bottom feeding low.

Marianas Trench low.

Missouri low.

OakvilleandJaybatesBitch

You must type on all fours for me.

And say thank you.

It is who you are.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Unless of course you really like AI, and then I take it all back.

But if you don't really like AI, then I have this for you.

Question: what is the difference between OakvilleJaybateNightmare and a full enema bag?

Answer: The Bag.

OakvilleandjaybatesBitch,

Gotta quit taking Cat Barber down to AI, unless you love AI.

Gotta quit the racial, unless you love AI.

jaybate against the racial.

Very strictly yours,

jaybate

OakvilleJaybateEnvy,

Wake up, its another day.

OakvilleandJaybatesBitch,

Always bow and take punishment with a smile.

It is who you are.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

OakvilleJaybateNightmare, are you hating on Cat? on AI?

Gotta quit comparing Cat Barber to AI, unless you love AI.

Do you love AI?

Tell me you aren't a racist that hates on AI, or The Cat.

Gotta quit the racial if you are hating.

jaybate against the racial.

jaybate say let Cat be Cat.

jaybate say don't play on some people's prejudices, OakvilleJaybateNightmare.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare r u hating?

Aha,looks like not.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare still won't say he loves AI and the Cat?

Why not?

Robin Smith 2 years, 1 month ago

yeeeah, he doesn't look like Iverson, if that's what you're implying.

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 1 month ago

Who cares if he did look like AI? Which he doesn't anyways

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Your point is a great one. I wish everyone saw it as you do. But everyone apparently does not. So: here is my response.

I have just gotten sick of board rats, and our society generally, cracking down on AI because of his looks.

AI is a handsome man regardless of how he dresses and wears his hair.

And how AI dresses and wears his hair is not at all unusual among African American men the last 15 years.

The big deal about AI is not how he looks.

The big deal about AI is his action off the floor.

AI has reputedly done some substantive off-court things that someone could crack down on him for, and I don't mind when board rats crack down for "actions." But this cracking down for looks has got to stop.

Here's the calculus that caused me to wade into the sewage here and get dirty myself.

AI became a poster boy for alot of racial hate IMHO, because of the way he talked, dressed and mannered, rather than for what he ever did on the floor. On the floor, he was nothing less than a flipping Mozart in treads.

Again, its off the floor where AI had some things to answer for, and did answer for them, whether one liked the answers or not.

So: then some yahoo runs an AI comparison on Cat Barber, apparently not because of the way Cat Barber plays, but because of the way Cat Barber looks.

And we're not talking about body morphology, or face structure here, or long and athletic, or wide body enforcer, or stumpy fire plug, etc..

The yahoo appeared to draw an implied connection between AI and Cat Barber by commenting under a not too flattering full face close up (not much better than cell phone quality) of a young African American high school basketball player with long, apparently braided hair and tatoos.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Careful how often you say crack when bringing up rumored drug use.
3 cracks in one sentence!

Freudian or Homerism? DOH!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

And then the yahoo appeared to connect Cat's "look" to AI, a retired NBA player who has had major image problems, a reputedly controversial possible connection to a murder back in his high school days (cleared by a judge by the way), and a player who struggled mightily with authority on and off during his career.

When I stop and think about it, I find little connection between Cat Barber and AI. As you say, they don't look at all alike. Barber is bit taller. Barber is probably even more slender than AI, given that he is only 165 and 6-2.

And off the court, Barber apparently has no major problems with the law during high school, as AI reputedly did. Barber does not appear to have problems with authority, as AI reputedly did. And so on.

And on the floor, Cat does not appear to think practice is not really necessary, as AI once famously supposedly said. (AI was probably joking, but it is now part of his legend regardless.)

The only things that I can see Cat Barber and AI have in common is they play guard, they have long hair, and are African American. There are probably about 5 thousand other African Americans we could say this about. Maybe more. I forget how many persons play high school basketball these days across the country. It would be a sizeable number, regardless.

And because of these similarities that have nothing to do with the kind of player either are, or the kind of person either are, or the kind of character either have, some yahoo compares Cat Barber to AI, and so connects Cat Barber to all of AI's baggage off the floor and a bit on the practice floor.

I gave the yahoo ample opps to explain how he was comparing Cat Barber and AI. On what grounds.

He didn't.

I told him to signal if he loved AI and was comparing Cat Barber on the kind of postives AI had and the games each played, rather than on the superficialities of a low production value snap shot and a former great player with baggage.

He hasn't yet.

Cat Barber seems like an awesome young man, who might have the kind of litheness and speed of Elijah Johnson, when he was a freshman and the same height as Barber.

Cat Barber seems like an awesome young man, who might have the kind of game that quite a few great, slender guards of the past in college and pros have had that have great character, no major off court baggage, no conflicts with authority, etc.

Cat Barber might handle the ball and run the floor like another slender PG near Barber's size: Steve Nash.

But noooooooooooooooo!!!!

The yahoo insists on comparing Cat Barber with AI.

I'm sorry, but I'm just too damned old to look the other way at this stuff any more.

Rock Chalk!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely ZERO reasons for any comparisons between Barber and Iversen. Nobody deserves to have that comparison made simply because both play basketball at the same position with a similar hairstyle and are African-Americans. You said that applies to at least 5000 individuals, I would add at least two more zeros but whether it's 1 or 1 million, it's meaningless. Yahoo must be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for talent. Once a major player on the Internet now basically an afterthought looking for any possible controversy to hear their name mentioned. Well written j

OakvilleJaybateNightmare sez:

This comment removed by the site staff prime for violation of the usage agreement.

😱

(Note: This has been a fictional reenactment.)

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

So, Coach Dooley, I've been PRing hard for you to get a head coaching job for three years now, and, well, I still want that for you in a big way, but is there some way we can get that for you without losing The Cat? :-)

Robin Smith 2 years, 1 month ago

I think he's very deserving, but I'd prefer if he stayed with KU

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

I like this kid's game a lot, but he sure doesn't look to be 6'2". No surprise there, as everyone gets an inch or two added to their actual height, but he looks more like 5'11" to me. It's certainly possible that the clips I was watching were a couple of years old, so hopefully he's grown. If I had to guess why Roy and Cheatapari aren't in on him, I'm betting height is why.

5'11" or 6'2", I'd love to land him.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 1 month ago

We want Cat! Nine is Fine, at least a two year guy instead of a likely one and done in the Top 5.

And it sounds like he is ready to commit as long as he likes his visit and future teammates and thats our strength, if there isnt a good feeling after that, then Cat would be the one with the ego issues. The facilities are all up to par now and the tradition, well, if you take your oncampus visit to AFH and walk away unimpressed, then once again ego must be a problem.

Coach Dooley and Self have a pretty good track record with developing point guards at Kansas as every one of them is earning a paycheck in professional basketball (pending the next weigh in for Sherron of course) either NBA or Europe.

The fastest guard down the floor? Hmm, fits right into Coach Self's style ala Tyshawn the Ferrari. Wonder how he drives the paint? Catlike?

You know, from baseline to baseline, some Cats are faster than Ferrari's! As long as it doesnt turn out like that Hyundai commercial on the superbowl! :)

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

very real possibility he's a OAD. by the way the staff is structuring the potential depth chart going forward it looks like they anticipate hes a OAD

James Kiernan 2 years, 1 month ago

He's more likely to commit if Kansas offers his friend Troy Williams (3)-they've said they are 50/50 on going somewhere as a package deal. A lot depends what the depth chart looks like on the wing.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

KUGrad, I see from your year that you were there for the same rough two-year stretch as me.

This sure beats the days of Mark Summers, Mark Ewing, Jeff Dishman and the like, eh?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice sweeping generalization, you idiot.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

This was in reply to a comment that got removed. No to KMathis.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

I just spit my beer out all over my phone. Flipping hilarious!

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't see how it looks any more like a mugshot than any other portrait does. Mugshots are generally shot in front of an off-white wall and the person in the picture generally looks like a criminal. This picture has neither of these characteristics. Your statement is dumb and malicious. You are perpetuating a moronic way of thinking. You should go away.

Cmill1221 2 years, 1 month ago

Who took a leak in your cereal this morning? "The person in the picture generally looks like a criminal". Really? Maybe homeland security should hire you since you can tell who is a criminal just by looking at someone! It looks like a mug shot because he has a blank lifeless stare and not smiling (like people in mug shots). On top of thicks the thick black frame that the LJW put on the sides of the picture didn't help either. All he is saying is its a bad picture.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I was merely pointing out that it's idiotic to think of it as a mugshot if the person in the picture is not a criminal, which Cat is not.

Cmill1221 2 years, 1 month ago

Right? With all the camps that this guy has played at, and with all the recruiting websites that have "action" photos. This was really the best picture they could find?

soapisurfriend 2 years, 1 month ago

He is actually close to 6'2". Although I'd agree he doesn't look it. I believe he's also married, if I remember correct? Anyways, he reminds me of Brandon Knight, who I could have sworn was coming to Kansas. Cat will likely be a one and gone too, much like Mr. Knight.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

I saw Sherron a couple of wknds ago (or was it last wknd?) at the local Kansas Sampler and he didn't look anywhere near game shape. He needs Hudy in the worst way!

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

Seriously, why didn't he post that on one of today's other basketball articles that was more relevant?

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was obvious but I was being sarcastic in your defense ZIG. Obviously there are no other articles on basketball today. During the offseason we're lucky to get one a day so it makes sense to me that commenters would just use the day's article as a message board for anything basketball related.

It looks like the other poster I was replying to removed his post, sorry for the confusion.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

No kidding. Well I could be wrong, my eye test told me he looked heavy. Of course my eyes deceive me quite frequently, as every time I look in the mirror I see the figure I saw in high school, even tho the scale is 40 lbs more! I'll take ur word for it. But he was definitely a complete gentleman. He posed for many pics with fans and their kids and could not have been nicer.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Cat. Here's hoping you mesh well with Jayhawk hoops. We've a real need for a future topnotch point guard. Your signing would make for a very special 2013 recruiting class.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

Still don't understand why you need Barber and Frankamp in the same class.

not that i wouldn't take Barber in an instant but 2 PGs in a class is odd.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 1 month ago

To echo the Keegan article from a few days ago, Self likes to have multiple people that can bring up the ball and have the ability to run the offense passing into the post. If he limits it to one guard, then the offense becomes much more stagnant and the ball sticks rather than swinging around the arc waiting for that big man to seal for the entry pass.

Also, I get the feeling that with Connor's shooting ability, he will be playing off the ball quite a bit so that he can step into his shot rather than try to create off the dribble.

James Kiernan 2 years, 1 month ago

See: Chalmers, R. Robinson, Collins, Miles (more pure point), Langford, Reed, Morningstar, Taylor, Johnson. All guys that can play 1 or 2.

Frank is next in line in that category.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Good points but we also had a very strong frontcourt which we do not at this time. Ever since HCBS has been at Kansas, the high-low offense has been a major emphasis, now it seems the top talent is in the backcourt whereas before it was more balanced.

Nothing has been more impressive than watching the improvement made by Withey, but how is he going perform when he is the focal point inside the paint? I hope we have enough talent to give him the help he needs.

No way can you pass over Barbar but we really should put our emphasis on getting at least another high quality big man.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

No one seemed to think it was odd when we had three point guards on the floor all the time (Hinrich, Bochee, and Miles, I believe). Just made for three great ball handlers. Self isn't overwhelmed by titles. They'll have their assignments and won't all be trying to play the point.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 1 month ago

No Troy Williams visiting too?

Frankamp play more off-ball in AAU. He plays point at North High. Maybe HCBS doesn't see him as a true point or he wants the flexibility that he had in 2008 with 3 point options.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

3 point options from 3 different recruiting classes

Senior Rus Rob Junior Mario Sophmore Collins

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, I don't know if you haven't had ur meds yet this morning, but that's pretty low class. Even for you. Learn to stay above the fray, like Oakville, for you're a much better poster when you are not sinking to the level of the trolls.

JJHAWK 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a Jaybate fan. I'm not a Jaybate hater. Some of his longer winded posts I skip (perhaps my loss - I'll never know). However, in this case, I'm a Jaybate supporter - he flamed a flamer. That is always an honourable game. The flamer's mother obviously didn't teach her offspring courtesy, or if she did, to her and our loss it didn't stick. Sigh! For some, learning that your actions have consequences takes a lifetime.

JJHAWK,

Thx for the assist. I will keep working hard to get better and hope I win you all the way over. :-)

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Jaybate and Oakville are the same poster.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

First, stop insulting Oak. :-)

Second, well, second doesn't matter.

ZIG,

This is jaybate imitating ZIG...

"ZIG, I don't know if you haven't had ur meds yet this morning, but that's pretty low class. Even for you. Learn to stay above the fray, like Oakville, for you're a much better poster when you are not sinking to the level of the trolls. Upvote0

Hey, ZIG, seriously, part of the fun here is getting down with the trolls. Its fun to cut off the ring on them. Then see how they bob and weave.

Oh, and thanks for your insipid counsel, too.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

You are clearly embarrassed by your earlier posts. You're now poking fun at yourself, and you'll come up with a witty response to this comment as well. You looked like an idiot getting into an argument up there. Deal with it.

OakvilleJaybateEnvy,

No, my supplicant, it is I that have you figured out.

And it amuses me.

And I enjoy being amused.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, of course I will come up with a witty comment.

Na, na, na, poo-poo! :-)

HawkOverseas,

You must be new here, if you think I am embarrassed by my posts above...or you could also be a flipping brain dead chinchilla. I give. Which is it?

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 1 month ago

First off, love the boxing reference. Paints a perfect picture. Those things are why I respect you so much. Stick to the intellectual banter. That is you and suits you much more than some idiotic square-off with a troll. Hell, his whole name is an attempt to bait u... Unless this is some 'rope-a-dope' strategy, that has us all fooled (ala M. Ali), don't feed the trolls!

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

Enjoy the visit Mr. Barber. Hopefully you fit in well with this team, it's full of hard working players that know how to win. You'd be playing with plenty of talent at the wing. Between you, 'Rio, Tharpe and Frankamp there'd be a lot of handles pushing the ball up the court and you'd get a lot of opportunities to catch a pass off the ball and blow by the defense.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 1 month ago

I find it somewhat unbecoming in the headline not have Anthony "Cat" Barber. To have his only name as nickname is incorrect.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Saw the OAD reference above .. the reason I don't think Barber is a OAD is because he's not a top shooter. That is one area that he can improve on in college, with college coaching. For him to be a lottery pick, improving the shooting would be job one. I'd bet he'd be here for at least two seasons.

Who knows about his intentions though? Some kids have in their minds that they are OAD regardless of logic (see Selby). If Selby would have stayed one more season, he would have made more in his first two seasons in the NBA than he will in his first three .. just my opinion.

But I hope Self doesn't wait into the spring for Barber if there is another good option that wants to sign (Jackson or Jones). I don't think Self has full faith that Tharpe will be ready to start his junior season, and that's why he specifically referenced the need for a point guard in additon to Frankamp and Greene. I think we'll have news on the point guard Self said he wanted within the next 60 days, and this won't go into the spring.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

6'4" PGs with Barber's speed get drafted into the NBA. The Pros can teach him a jump shot better than anyone.

John Wall was the #1 over all pick and couldn't hit a jump shot to save his life. Its still the weakest part of his game.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

Wall hit plenty of jumpers at UK, he actually had a pretty solid pull-up j. Barber also is not 6'4". I don't pretend to know if he should be one and done or not, might depend on who all declares at the PG position after his first season.

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Barber, jayhawk nation will LOVE to have you on our team!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

They removed the comment that was malicious and dumb. Definitely not talking to JHAWK34TRUTH here.

AverageCitizen 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, 'cause we all know the best way to choose a basketball player is on his looks! SMH

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Tharpe, Frankcamp and Barber would fit nicely into HCBS's guard scheme of multiple threats with multiple talents.

• Kansas has a history of leadership through the guard play.

• And, honestly, what have the other three schools actually done in the last 10 years??? { Kansas, closing in on 300 wins, almost a decade of Conference Championships, non-stop NCAA appearances, two Final Four Championship Games and an NCAA Championship.]

• I just feel we have a real good chance to land this young man.

• P.S. A great football game experience tomorrow night wouldn't hurt either!!

jgkojak 2 years, 1 month ago

We'll need him - he'll get PT immediately. He'll also probably come into a likely Top 5 situation.

Not having the other suspects probably means he's set on KU, and unless something happens he wasn't expecting, plans to be here and get a couple other free trips out of the bargain.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 1 month ago

Back to my first question, where is Troy Williams? Wasn't he handcuffed to Cat at one point? Are the handcuffs off? Wasn't he coming with Cat to Lawrence this weekend?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Everybody with the "mugshot" comments should STFU. Seriously, it's not funny. Saying it's a mugshot is implying that he did some sort of criminal activity before the shot was taken. As far as I can tell, this guy is just an excellent PG that is interested in bringing his immense talents to KU. Your mugshot comments are malicious. They're perpetuating an idiotic and cowardly way of thinking. Get your closet-racism out of here.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if my Riley County mugshots are still available? I guess tipping over cars in Aggieville is 'unacceptable behavior' Who knew?

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

All it would take is a smile for him not to look so thug. But, as it is, he looks pretty thug. I'd say the same if it was a white guy with dreads and tats and that facial expression.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Thug is not a PC term. Thug defines someone who looks like someone who commits violent crimes. It is not a kind term. It is an unfair term. Just looking at this picture, I didn't think "thug" -- now, if I see the full picture, and he has his pants hanging down, baggy pants, tatoos everywhere and visible, hat turned sideways -- the entire get-up, then I might change my mind.

That's because he would be trying to look like a thug -- that's what that "look" is all about. Trying to look like a "gangsta", right? Glorifying it.

In this case, "thug" is unfair. It's just hair and tatoos on the shoulders. But in my example, I wouldn't be too offended when that "look" is exactly what is trying to be projected.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

HawkKlaw: Tell me why it's perpetuating idiotic and cowardly thoughts?

I'll tell you what's idiotic and cowardly .. drive by shootings and all of the ridiculous violence in black communities all throughout this nation. What folks like you don't get is that by crying racism everytime someone implies something racial, you ignore the facts, the statistics, and the truth of where an extremely disproportionate amount of violent crime originates.

As much as we don't like it, people are most easily recognized by their race and gender. There are stereotypes of all races, and both genders. Some just happen to be true. Is it fair to judge one individual based on a group? We all probably think not. But fair's got nothing to do with it.

Tell me how you would react. You're on a dark street leaving a movie late at night walking to your car .. five black guys, age 16-25, dreadlocks, tatoos, pants hanging half way down their a**es, walking and bobbing and being loud .. are 20 feet behind you as you and your girlfriend approach a parking lot. Or alternatively, insert 5 white guys in polos, nice haircuts, no tatoos.

See, the thing is, we're just talking about risk analysis. Risk analysis is based on logic. Logic is based on what is more likely to happen than not. And logic says that you are likely in a more risky situation with the 5 black guys. Doesn't mean it's true in every case ... and that's what this about. Perceptions that are based in large part on reality.

That's where most of the claimed "racism" originates. I heard one fellow say .. "well, why wouldn't people be scared of young black men .. the TV stations plaster their faces on the screen each night every time a crime is committed."

Uh, yea.

We are so touchy-feely, so scared to offend, that we avoid real solutions, and real answers. Meanwhile, black communities continue to be destroyed, innocent little children are shot by stray bullets, convenience stores have to be fortified, and good folks that live in those neighborhoods are terrorized -- gangster rap blaring in the background, I'm sure. Some of these places are military zones and should be treated that way.

But oh no, we can't offend for racism is our true enemy. It sure is convenient excuse for failure.

The true enemy, regardless of race, are folks that commit violent crimes. Period.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not going to respond to all of this because, frankly, I don't have time. As for the perpetuating of idiotic and cowardly thoughts:

To call this a mugshot is to imply that the subject of the picture recently got arrested. The only way people get arrested is if they do something illegal. Therefore, to call it a mugshot implies that he did something illegal. In reality, it's just a picture of a basketball player. I'm not sure how else to illustrate that calling it a mugshot is idiotic. To me, that's just a dumb conclusion to draw.

Implying that someone is a criminal based on their appearance is cowardly. People that say such things are afraid. They're afraid of people that look different than them. "I don't understand why he has tattoos or braids, so I'll just say he looks like a criminal." But he doesn't look like a criminal. Not to me, at least. He looks like a great basketball player.

I don't want to get into the "black community" thing, because I do have a lot of thoughts on that, but this is not the forum for it.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Alright, now that I have a little more time, I would like to address a couple of things here:

I know of the statistics. But I also think there are deep, underlying reasons why certain communities are more prone to violence than others. I don't think making racial slurs towards people in those communities does anything to help anybody (not that you did that, but others on this site certainly did).

Fair is not what I'm after. Common sense and general respect for your human brothers and sisters is, though.

Anybody of any ethnicity would be a bit apprehensive in the scenario that you created. Even other African Americans with braids and tattoos. So, to answer your question: I'd be as apprehensive in that scenario as any other human being would.

"And logic says that you are likely in a more risky situation with the 5 black guys." That statement is absolutely false and I would argue it's borderline racist, though you'll probably disagree. That's the sort of thinking that I believe is idiotic and cowardly. My logic does not tell me that at all. Then again, I have a lot of friends with a lot of different backgrounds. We all get along fine. I know that there's generally at least a small amount of gang mentality in any group of five guys, regardless of their race. Especially younger men.

All of those things you say about African American communities have merit, but I would urge you to discover the deep, underlying reasons why they exist specifically in those areas. Again, this has nothing to do with Cat Barber, so I would prefer to leave that discussion alone here.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

HEM, I normally disagree with most all of your posts. But you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

Umm because his viewpoints are similar to mine. That's why I agree with him. Of course that's obvious.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

HawkKlaw: You look to the the reasons, and why it's happening, and for understanding. And as you say, you're not using "logic." ("That's the sort of thinking that I believe is idiotic and cowardly. My logic does not tell me that at all.").

You are thinking with your feelings. And in defense of your thought process .. based on feelings not logic .. you call names. You call folks racist. While admitting you don't use logic. That makes you feel good about yourself.

That word and usage (racist) is the safe harbor for all that refuse to arrive at conclusions based on the objective evidence. It is used to suggest that someone is irrational in their thought process. It is much easier to call names than to examine facts and evidence that makes you uncomfortable.

You then say regarding my example "That statement is absolutely false and I would argue it's borderline racist, though you'll probably disagree."

But here's the thing .. you admit "(You) know of the statistics. But (you) also think there are deep, underlying reasons why certain communities are more prone to violence than others." By making that statement, you have helped prove my point. You have agreed that there is a cause for the ridiculous violence committed disprotionately by the black community (which was my premise) .. all I have said is that it is true. Therefore, if you suggest the cause for the fact, then the fact claimed must be true, right?

See, you make no sense. You know the stats. We all do. My post is about that reality. Yours is about feelings and why violent crimes are disproportionately perpetrated by blacks. I'm not telling you "the why" of it all -- my post had nothing to do with "why." What I'm telling you is that a logical thought process leads one to treat folks differently, in certain situations, because of their race. The reality you admit to. Specifically, situations involving safety and self preservation. And that is based on facts and statistics.

The question of "why" is a completely different subject.

You know my example is correct. We all do. It just makes us uncomfortable. You can't solve a problem until all involved can talk about it. Calling people racist is the easy way out of that conversation.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Clearly, I didn't say I wasn't using logic. I said that my logic doesn't tell me the same thing yours does. And I didn't call you a racist. That statement just sounds racist to me. I know a lot of people that say racist things yet aren't racist. Sorry if that makes you angry, but I call it like I see it.

About your scenario: There's generally at least a small amount of gang mentality in any group of five guys, regardless of their race. So anybody would be apprehensive in that situation, but it shouldn't be because the guys are African Americans. It should be because there's five dudes standing there and you're with your girlfriend. Anyone would be apprehensive in that scenario. Derp.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

We are used to our own gift to sports photography, Nick Krug. Seeing a photo like the one chosen for this article is shocking at best to our sensitive eyes. It shows how little some people value the creativity that some have and some will never have. I would love to see how the first photo that Nick takes of Cat when he is a Jayhawk compares to this one!

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why KUSports.com would want this particular photo to be gracing their front page. Use an action shot.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

I thought that was the point of calling it a mug shot--making fun of the LJW for choosing such a bad picture when there must be hundreds of others to choose from. I also said "driver's license picture." Is that also objectionable to everyone?

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Because the kid's in high school and Nick Krug doesn't cover his flipping games, and they didn't have another on handy.

memhawk,

You are making too much sense!

twhit999 2 years, 1 month ago

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

For the record, the actual "mugshot" comment is not what got me started. I agree, it's not a great picture. It was all the comments about how he probably does illegal things in the 'hood with his friends that really got my goat (I flagged those comments, and they were removed [strangely enough, my replies are still there somehow]).

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't like to get up in arms about it. I feel it's my duty because I hear these snide, condescending remarks all the time (being from Kansas, as I am).

If you live in Lawrence you know that someone's appears counts for nothing. People can look like they want to. It's 2012, remember?

Those are braids, not dreads.

A lot of my white friends had tattoos at age 17. I don't get what the big deal is.

When did anyone who didn't just get arrested pose for a mugshot? Saying it's a mugshot absolutely implies that he is some sort of criminal.

Sure, there are probably other photos they could have used. And there are also other ways you could have went about saying that you don't like the picture.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

No worries. I'll always fight against that way of thinking, even if I am the only one.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for the explanation. I never saw any of those comments and was having a lot of trouble figuring out what was so upsetting about someone criticizing the choice of the picture included with the article.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, LJW should have assumed there would be idiot on these boards who would post discriminatory comments based on the picture. I get what you're saying about worrying about what's under the hood, rather than the paint job. But, Ralster, what kind of car did you go to prom in? What kind of car did you drive away from your wedding? (The "you" isn't necessarily you specifically, just in general). What kind of car do you yourself drive? My guess is none of those answers involves a totally decrepit piece of rust, with a nice engine underneath.

Tell me the last time someone published a book that had an ugly, unattractive (NOT calling CAT or anyone else ugly here) cover.. My point is, just because it may be a great story, the cover is a big part of the book. So is the paint job of a car. With a bad cover or paint job, the salesman's job is much more difficult.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

"Yes, LJW should have assumed there would be idiot on these boards who would post discriminatory comments based on the picture."

Seriously? Your answer is to just assume everyone is racist and choose pictures accordingly? Lawlz.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

See, this is why many of your arguments hold no weight. You think I said they should assume EVERYONE is RACIST. I said neither of the capitalized words. There are certainly people who will post discriminatory remarks based on that picture. That much could be assumed. There are hundreds of posters on here. A few are bound to put disparaging remarks. It's a numbers game.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

I think this is the only Cat that I would ever want stepping on KU's campus.

As I've mentioned before, I'd feel a lot better about our chances, if his A.K.A. was "Hawk".

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I would waive that rule for Mr. Barber. I like KY's 'fro much better, but braids are fine.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Cat, reasons to come to KU: Johnson and Releford graduate BenMac goes early Frankamp a true #2 Lots of PT for you and Tharpe * Point Guards are gold in HCBS system

Cat, reasons not to come to KU:

• ......"crickets".........

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

Aside from all this other talk.... I really hope we land this kid. We've already got Rivals' second best class, behind Florida. Cat and one big guy would be awesome.

milehighhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

What has gotten into people on this site today? Good Lord...I've never seen so much "dumb" this far east of Manhattan & west of Columbia. Embarrassing for the entire fanbase.

BringtheRuckus 2 years, 1 month ago

No kidding. Hope this kid doesn't read all this. Reflects poorly on the university and fanbase.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

I'VE GOT IT!!!

Starting with this article, the photo and this whole string of posts, this entire train of thought is under the influence of the upcoming BLUE MOON tonight!!!

All is forgiven and tomorrow we will once again be Jayhawk Nation, tough and cool !!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

I thoroughly enjoyed the banter on here before the censor chiefs came prowling. I know how you feel now Jaybate :(

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Alright, I have to come clean. Keegan called me last night and said, "'bate, the clicks have been low, man, down in the 50-70 range. The Lawrencedeals.com ad and those clicks aren't even enough to keep the server running with two squirrels turning a generator wheel. I need you stick the needle in. I will tell the online editors to remove a few of your comments. You act indignant and post some ripostes. I'll send you some JPEG files of Bar Raefelli. Maybe a pound of beef jerkey I've been smoking out on the back porch the last week. Do it for me, 'bate, do it. They'll hate on you. You can get under their skin if anyone can. Pretty please, for the Keegs?"

How could I say no to the Thin Man?

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Tried to post a link of her and David Letterman, but the links would not post. Sorry.

Google, David Letterman and Bar. I've never seen him look like such a dirty old man. It is a classic. Bar is seated beside him, and he is holding up a picture of her in swimsuit.

Classic.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some Possible Suggestions for Transformation of the Difference Maker Cliche, as Posited by the Math and Engineering Departments:"

~A contrast amplifier.

~A magnitude pump.

~A growth factor

~A positive skew.

~ An absolute value.

~An exponential divergence.

~A positive nonlinearity.

also known as

~An improvement.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 1 month ago

You truly are a complete idiot. I don't even need to putyour name here. Everyone already knows ...

JJHAWK 2 years, 1 month ago

Deletions to the left. Deletions to the right. What the . . . it must be in the water!! Perhaps we should all drink beer tomorrow.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

In the words of the late Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

People are acting like a bunch of low IQ SEC fans living in that state to our East.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 1 month ago

The IQ average in here is around 85 Of course, Jaybate rings the bell at 20 so it really drags the curve.

kennethst 2 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate what's up with these people attacking you? I wonder if they even bother reading what you write? In my opinion....Jaybate=Kansas Treasure! Keep posting, jaybate!! You have loyal followers.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 1 month ago

I stand corrected. Jaybate's iQ is 12. My bad.

JHawkMuscle 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Gary, you do realize it's the University of Kansas, right?

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Worst case scenario: we don't get karviar or barber, Perry and Ben leave. We rely on these players: Tharpe
White
Greene
Traylor
Peters
Key reserves are Anrio Adams, Connor Frankamp, and Landen Lucas.
We tie for 1st in Big 12 and make it to sweet 16.

Medium case scenario: Perry and Ben leave. We get Karviar and Barber. We rely on these players. Barber
Tharpe
White
Peters
Shepherd
key reserves are Connor Frankamp, Brannen Greene, and Jamari Traylor. Win Big 12 by 1-2 games and possibly make it to final four.

(realistic) best case scenario: Perry and Ben stay. We get Barber. We rely on these players. Barber
McLemore
White
Ellis
Peters
Key reserves are Tharpe, Frankamp, Greene, and Traylor. Very likely final four. Possible favorites to win championship.

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 1 month ago

Jeeveshawk,

We got extremely lucky last year to win the big 12 and make it to a championship game. With EJ, Rele and Jeff graduating (Mclemore possibly going pro), we really need the best case scenario for the 2013 class.

Barber Frankamp Greene Randle/Parker/Gordon Lee/ Lawrence/Shepherd

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Realistically: Jeff gone, Travis gone, Elijah gone...and probably Ben gone, if his body holds up, and he rises to lottery status. Four starters depart. Man O Man, there have to be some bright farsighted hungry recruits still out there, licking their chops over this situation for 2013-14! And we've got posters grousing about photos? My O My!