Friday, August 31, 2012

Guard ‘Cat’ Barber visiting Kansas

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

One of the top high school basketball point guards in the Class of 2013 will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University this weekend.

Anthony “Cat” Barber, a 6-foot-2, 165-pound senior from Hampton (Va.) High School who is ranked No. 9 overall by Rivals.com, will be on campus today through Sunday morning.

He’s Virginia’s reigning Group AAA player of the year after averaging 21.3 points a game for the Crabbers, who went 27-5 and won the school’s first state championship in 15 years.

“He’s a McDonald’s All-America-type player, a difference-maker,” said Shay Wildeboor, analyst for Rivals.com. “He’s probably the fastest point guard in the class in terms of getting the ball up and down the court. He’s a playmaker and a scorer, a guy the staff identified early. His AAU coach (Boo Williams) has known coach Dooley (Joe, KU assistant) for 30 years and knows everything there is to know about KU’s program.”

Barber has one of the most colorful nicknames of anybody in the recruiting class.

“When I was little, my sister said I used to run around and climb on stuff,” Barber told NBCSports.com, in explaining the moniker. “I guess she said I was like a cat, so they just started calling me that.”

Apparently, it had nothing to do with being as quick as a cat.

“That could be too,” he told NBCsports.com, “but I just used to move a lot, so she called me that.”

Barber has a final list of KU, Alabama, Louisville and North Carolina State.

“Kansas has great tradition, and coach (Bill) Self does a great job,” AAU coach Williams told jayhawkslant.com. “Everybody knows that Kansas is a great program, but Anthony wants to make sure he’s comfortable and he wants to see how he interacts with the team.”

Golf tourney ahead: There’s still room for four or five more foursomes in the Family Promise Golf Tournament, set for 1 p.m., Sept. 10, at Alvamar. To register a team or purchase tickets to the Sept. 9 auction party at Maceli’s, call Joe Reitz at 785-331-5024. Or one can sign up online at lawrencefamilypromise.org.

Former KU All-America forward Wayne Simien and Cindy Self, wife of KU coach Bill Self, are co-chairs of the two events.

“This is their fourth year. They have been helpful and enthusiastic about Family Promise,” Reitz said. “Wayne has provided scholarships to some kids in need to his Called to Greatness camps and 3-on-3 camps,” Reitz added. “Cindy is always right in there available to help.”

The mission of Family Promise is to “transform the lives of homeless children and their families by providing safe shelter, food, counseling, and training in partnership with local communities of faith through hospitality and daily living support in a compassionate setting. The program is designed to address the needs of families and equip them to move into permanent housing as quickly as possible.”

Comments

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Realistically: Jeff gone, Travis gone, Elijah gone...and probably Ben gone, if his body holds up, and he rises to lottery status. Four starters depart. Man O Man, there have to be some bright farsighted hungry recruits still out there, licking their chops over this situation for 2013-14! And we've got posters grousing about photos? My O My!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Worst case scenario: we don't get karviar or barber, Perry and Ben leave. We rely on these players: Tharpe
White
Greene
Traylor
Peters
Key reserves are Anrio Adams, Connor Frankamp, and Landen Lucas.
We tie for 1st in Big 12 and make it to sweet 16.

Medium case scenario: Perry and Ben leave. We get Karviar and Barber. We rely on these players. Barber
Tharpe
White
Peters
Shepherd
key reserves are Connor Frankamp, Brannen Greene, and Jamari Traylor. Win Big 12 by 1-2 games and possibly make it to final four.

(realistic) best case scenario: Perry and Ben stay. We get Barber. We rely on these players. Barber
McLemore
White
Ellis
Peters
Key reserves are Tharpe, Frankamp, Greene, and Traylor. Very likely final four. Possible favorites to win championship.

JHawkMuscle 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Gary, you do realize it's the University of Kansas, right?

TexasHawk44 1 year, 7 months ago

I stand corrected. Jaybate's iQ is 12. My bad.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

TexasHawk44 1 year, 7 months ago

The IQ average in here is around 85 Of course, Jaybate rings the bell at 20 so it really drags the curve.

jhox 1 year, 7 months ago

In the words of the late Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

People are acting like a bunch of low IQ SEC fans living in that state to our East.

JJHAWK 1 year, 7 months ago

Deletions to the left. Deletions to the right. What the . . . it must be in the water!! Perhaps we should all drink beer tomorrow.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 7 months ago

You truly are a complete idiot. I don't even need to putyour name here. Everyone already knows ...

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

"Some Possible Suggestions for Transformation of the Difference Maker Cliche, as Posited by the Math and Engineering Departments:"

~A contrast amplifier.

~A magnitude pump.

~A growth factor

~A positive skew.

~ An absolute value.

~An exponential divergence.

~A positive nonlinearity.

also known as

~An improvement.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Alright, I have to come clean. Keegan called me last night and said, "'bate, the clicks have been low, man, down in the 50-70 range. The Lawrencedeals.com ad and those clicks aren't even enough to keep the server running with two squirrels turning a generator wheel. I need you stick the needle in. I will tell the online editors to remove a few of your comments. You act indignant and post some ripostes. I'll send you some JPEG files of Bar Raefelli. Maybe a pound of beef jerkey I've been smoking out on the back porch the last week. Do it for me, 'bate, do it. They'll hate on you. You can get under their skin if anyone can. Pretty please, for the Keegs?"

How could I say no to the Thin Man?

Rock Chalk!

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

I thoroughly enjoyed the banter on here before the censor chiefs came prowling. I know how you feel now Jaybate :(

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

I'VE GOT IT!!!

Starting with this article, the photo and this whole string of posts, this entire train of thought is under the influence of the upcoming BLUE MOON tonight!!!

All is forgiven and tomorrow we will once again be Jayhawk Nation, tough and cool !!!!!!!!!!!

milehighhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

What has gotten into people on this site today? Good Lord...I've never seen so much "dumb" this far east of Manhattan & west of Columbia. Embarrassing for the entire fanbase.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Aside from all this other talk.... I really hope we land this kid. We've already got Rivals' second best class, behind Florida. Cat and one big guy would be awesome.

William Blake 1 year, 7 months ago

Welcome, Cat! I hope you bring your claws to KU permanently! You'll have an opportunity to carve through some purple kitties and striped fake tigers... ur, maybe just watch some old vids of us snacking on tiger meat...

Ever dine on Longhorn before? Mmmmmmm... delicious!

Happy dining to all the hawk nation on this Labor Day!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Cat, reasons to come to KU: Johnson and Releford graduate BenMac goes early Frankamp a true #2 Lots of PT for you and Tharpe * Point Guards are gold in HCBS system

Cat, reasons not to come to KU:

• ......"crickets".........

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 7 months ago

Hopefully we get the word some time Sunday or Monday that Barber has cancelled the rest of his visits... Nobody tell him that Self will make him cut those braids, though.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

I think this is the only Cat that I would ever want stepping on KU's campus.

As I've mentioned before, I'd feel a lot better about our chances, if his A.K.A. was "Hawk".

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

twhit999 1 year, 7 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 7 months ago

We are used to our own gift to sports photography, Nick Krug. Seeing a photo like the one chosen for this article is shocking at best to our sensitive eyes. It shows how little some people value the creativity that some have and some will never have. I would love to see how the first photo that Nick takes of Cat when he is a Jayhawk compares to this one!

HawkKlaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Everybody with the "mugshot" comments should STFU. Seriously, it's not funny. Saying it's a mugshot is implying that he did some sort of criminal activity before the shot was taken. As far as I can tell, this guy is just an excellent PG that is interested in bringing his immense talents to KU. Your mugshot comments are malicious. They're perpetuating an idiotic and cowardly way of thinking. Get your closet-racism out of here.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 7 months ago

Back to my first question, where is Troy Williams? Wasn't he handcuffed to Cat at one point? Are the handcuffs off? Wasn't he coming with Cat to Lawrence this weekend?

jgkojak 1 year, 7 months ago

We'll need him - he'll get PT immediately. He'll also probably come into a likely Top 5 situation.

Not having the other suspects probably means he's set on KU, and unless something happens he wasn't expecting, plans to be here and get a couple other free trips out of the bargain.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Tharpe, Frankcamp and Barber would fit nicely into HCBS's guard scheme of multiple threats with multiple talents.

• Kansas has a history of leadership through the guard play.

• And, honestly, what have the other three schools actually done in the last 10 years??? { Kansas, closing in on 300 wins, almost a decade of Conference Championships, non-stop NCAA appearances, two Final Four Championship Games and an NCAA Championship.]

• I just feel we have a real good chance to land this young man.

• P.S. A great football game experience tomorrow night wouldn't hurt either!!

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Barber, jayhawk nation will LOVE to have you on our team!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Saw the OAD reference above .. the reason I don't think Barber is a OAD is because he's not a top shooter. That is one area that he can improve on in college, with college coaching. For him to be a lottery pick, improving the shooting would be job one. I'd bet he'd be here for at least two seasons.

Who knows about his intentions though? Some kids have in their minds that they are OAD regardless of logic (see Selby). If Selby would have stayed one more season, he would have made more in his first two seasons in the NBA than he will in his first three .. just my opinion.

But I hope Self doesn't wait into the spring for Barber if there is another good option that wants to sign (Jackson or Jones). I don't think Self has full faith that Tharpe will be ready to start his junior season, and that's why he specifically referenced the need for a point guard in additon to Frankamp and Greene. I think we'll have news on the point guard Self said he wanted within the next 60 days, and this won't go into the spring.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 7 months ago

I find it somewhat unbecoming in the headline not have Anthony "Cat" Barber. To have his only name as nickname is incorrect.

phogphan2000 1 year, 7 months ago

Enjoy the visit Mr. Barber. Hopefully you fit in well with this team, it's full of hard working players that know how to win. You'd be playing with plenty of talent at the wing. Between you, 'Rio, Tharpe and Frankamp there'd be a lot of handles pushing the ball up the court and you'd get a lot of opportunities to catch a pass off the ball and blow by the defense.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

Jaybate, I don't know if you haven't had ur meds yet this morning, but that's pretty low class. Even for you. Learn to stay above the fray, like Oakville, for you're a much better poster when you are not sinking to the level of the trolls.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 7 months ago

No Troy Williams visiting too?

Frankamp play more off-ball in AAU. He plays point at North High. Maybe HCBS doesn't see him as a true point or he wants the flexibility that he had in 2008 with 3 point options.

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Still don't understand why you need Barber and Frankamp in the same class.

not that i wouldn't take Barber in an instant but 2 PGs in a class is odd.

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Cat. Here's hoping you mesh well with Jayhawk hoops. We've a real need for a future topnotch point guard. Your signing would make for a very special 2013 recruiting class.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw Sherron a couple of wknds ago (or was it last wknd?) at the local Kansas Sampler and he didn't look anywhere near game shape. He needs Hudy in the worst way!

soapisurfriend 1 year, 7 months ago

He is actually close to 6'2". Although I'd agree he doesn't look it. I believe he's also married, if I remember correct? Anyways, he reminds me of Brandon Knight, who I could have sworn was coming to Kansas. Cat will likely be a one and gone too, much like Mr. Knight.

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 7 months ago

We want Cat! Nine is Fine, at least a two year guy instead of a likely one and done in the Top 5.

And it sounds like he is ready to commit as long as he likes his visit and future teammates and thats our strength, if there isnt a good feeling after that, then Cat would be the one with the ego issues. The facilities are all up to par now and the tradition, well, if you take your oncampus visit to AFH and walk away unimpressed, then once again ego must be a problem.

Coach Dooley and Self have a pretty good track record with developing point guards at Kansas as every one of them is earning a paycheck in professional basketball (pending the next weigh in for Sherron of course) either NBA or Europe.

The fastest guard down the floor? Hmm, fits right into Coach Self's style ala Tyshawn the Ferrari. Wonder how he drives the paint? Catlike?

You know, from baseline to baseline, some Cats are faster than Ferrari's! As long as it doesnt turn out like that Hyundai commercial on the superbowl! :)

jhox 1 year, 7 months ago

I like this kid's game a lot, but he sure doesn't look to be 6'2". No surprise there, as everyone gets an inch or two added to their actual height, but he looks more like 5'11" to me. It's certainly possible that the clips I was watching were a couple of years old, so hopefully he's grown. If I had to guess why Roy and Cheatapari aren't in on him, I'm betting height is why.

5'11" or 6'2", I'd love to land him.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

So, Coach Dooley, I've been PRing hard for you to get a head coaching job for three years now, and, well, I still want that for you in a big way, but is there some way we can get that for you without losing The Cat? :-)

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Quiet on the set!! Allen Iverson, take two.. and.. action!...

DDDHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks to Wayne Simien and Cindy Self for their giving spirits, and for reaching out to those in need!

jayhawker97 1 year, 7 months ago

this Barber is a really really bad 'Cat. he'll wreck havoc any team's D with his claws. he'll be a great addition to the team.

MrMario15 1 year, 7 months ago

I really, really, really, really, hope we land this cat. I'm pretty confident we will

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Any reason his final list doesn't include the usual suspects (UNC, UK, etc)? I'm always optimistic when our competition for a recruit are not traditional powers, but that doesn't always mean a lot.