Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome back: Tyshawn Taylor thrilled to visit

Tyshawn Taylor locks eyes with 8-month-old Finnegan Nicholas, Lawrence, as Finnegan and his mother, Karen Nicholas, wait for the former Kansas guard's autograph, Monday, Aug. 27, 2012 at the recently reopened Dillon's on Massachusetts Street. Taylor, who was acquired by the Nets with the 41st pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, spent part of the afternoon and evening signing autographs at the store.

photo

Tyshawn Taylor took to Twitter on Saturday night in his new, Hoboken, N.J., two-bedroom, two-bath condo to express his emotions regarding this week’s trip to Kansas.

“Kansas tomorrow !!!! Never been this hype to be in Kansas,” Taylor wrote on his favorite social media website.

The former KU point guard, who recently signed a two-year guaranteed contract with the Brooklyn Nets to pay him $473,604 this season and $788,872 in 2013-14, explained Monday why his first trip to Lawrence since graduation in May had him so excited.

“I just miss it, man. I just miss it so much. I miss it a lot, man,” said Taylor, who signed autographs for fans for two hours at the Massachusetts Street Dillons. “It’s weird because I’ve been living a structured life for four years. To not have it any more is a weird feeling.”

Taylor, who said he’d love to make it back for the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog if the Nets aren’t playing an exhibition game that day, is as comfortable in Lawrence as in his hometown of Hoboken.

“I hope to make it back as much as possible. Guys were always coming back for Late Night when I played here. I hope to come back a lot as well,” noted the 6-foot-3 guard, whose four-year career as a KU starter was capped with a trip to the 2012 national title game.

Now the second-round draft pick is gearing up for his first season in the NBA while playing in familiar surroundings.

“Being from New Jersey, kind of growing up a Nets fan, then them moving to Brooklyn and end up playing for them is kind of weird,” Taylor said.

He noted that Hoboken is the “midpoint between Brooklyn and East Rutherford where the Nets practice” and that most of his teammates, would in fact, be living there.

“I’m so excited about the whole thing. Everything is brand new,” Taylor said, referring to the Nets franchise’s moving to a new arena in New York. “It’s going to be fun.”

Taylor said there aren’t really any disadvantages to playing where he grew up.

For example, he isn’t worried about any childhood friends trying to form an entourage and ask him for cash.

“I think that’s going to happen whether I’m home or not. It’s a little bit easier for them to get access to me being close to home. It was something I was going to have to deal with anyway,” Taylor said. “I am dealing with it. It is what it is. I can say no. I know who I can give money to and who not. It’s cool. Being in New York is not hard. It’s where I’m from. I am home thinking I’m Tyshawn, but I’m not just Tyshawn to everybody else.”

Taylor’s mom, Jeanell, who lived in Lawrence the past three years, has moved to Orlando, Fla., but promises to attend a batch of Nets games.

“Mom can take care of herself. It’ll be easier for me to help than before,” Taylor said. “Mom has been working. She’s not going to stop anytime soon. I’ve got to get settled on my feet before I can help anybody else, though.”

Taylor said he hasn’t made any extravagant purchases.

“I’ve got some pretty cool stuff, mostly clothes,” he said. “I’ve not got a car yet ... working on that.”

As far as what’s ahead on the court, the Nets have a batch of guards, including all-star Deron Williams and recent acquisitions Joe Johnson and C.J. Watson to go with Taylor, Keith Bogans and MarShon Brooks.

“I think they want to play him (Williams) at 2, which is why they brought C.J. in and why they drafted a point guard,” Taylor said. “I think when he had a lot of his highest-scoring games he was playing off the ball a lot. I am the rookie. I am going to get the last pick of the litter. I’m OK with that. I’m going to come to work every day, and hopefully the coaches see that.”

He believes the Jayhawks will do just fine without him.

“Elijah has been here four years. He’s learned from some guys. He’s been in big games. He knows what to do,” Taylor said of senior point guard Elijah Johnson. “Naadir (Tharpe, sophomore) has been watching for a year. I love Naadir’s game. I don’t know who else is there they brought in, but with those two, I think the ball is in good hands for sure.

“I think they’ll go through some stuff. They are a young team. Coach (Bill) Self has proven he can make any team good. We’ve got guys who’ve been on really good teams and know how to win. They’ll pull it together eventually. It’s a process, though.”

Comments

David Leathers 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't think I have ever witnessed someone's maturity level soar so high so quickly. He really grew up pretty fast. I bet TRob losing his mother had a lot to do with it. Fortunately, being the University of Kansas and all, we will continue to bring in top-level basketball talent while producing top-level men ready for the game that we all call life.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 3 months ago

Great kid who deserves his shot. I bet he will still be in the NBA 6 years out unless some unforeseen event (injury) occurs.

Phil Leister 2 years, 3 months ago

Man, Ty's a good kid. Man, I hope he does great in Brooklyn, man. Man... Sorry, Tyshawn's quote was just hilarious. “I just miss it, man. I just miss it so much. I miss it a lot, man." Bedore, why did you write all that? You could have eliminated one sentence and made Ty sound a bit more eloquent!

All kidding aside, I can't think of a better place for Ty to land than Brooklyn/Hoboken. I'm very excited for him. He's a totally different person than he was 4 years ago (obviously). I don't think I've ever witnessed someone go through such a transformation in their time at school. We're lucky to have a guy like Bill developing our players.

RJ King 2 years, 3 months ago

I loved the entire quote, man. Juicy flavor to the story. It connects us to the depth of emotion inside this four-year graduate of the University of Self, and echoes our own feelings about Kansas. Tyshawn has always been a spill-your-gut kind of guy. He's the real deal. It's why he's knocked by a few and beloved by most.

The three consistent, passionate, and powerful phrases send his roller coaster college ride rushing through our heads for another magnificent moment. It don't get more eloquent than that. Thanks Gary.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk Nation is rooting for you TT. Always hope our lifetime member Jayhawks succeed and perform well both on and off the court. Stay humble and make us proud, TT. Rock Chalk in Brooklyn with the Nets!

connhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

This is easily the cutest picture I have ever seen on this site.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Nick Krug's cameras could capture yeast particles in a bottle of beer. The guy is a true wizard with the lens.

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

It really is a special picture. Good job, Nick.

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

It really is a special piture that he caught at exactly the right moment. Good job, Nick.

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't know what's going on here. It told me it couldn't process my first post, so I did it again. Then it printed both and made me sign in again before I could enter this message. It's too early in the morning to feel so persecuted.

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 3 months ago

Always wonder if any of the players actually read these comments... if so, my advice to you Ty: Keep your head on straight in regards to that salary. Seems like a lot right now, but it can disappear fast. Too many young sports figures get cut after just a couple of years and find themselves wondering where it all went. Save and invest!!!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 3 months ago

I can't wait to bump into him on the street and just shout out...rock chalk!

I hope he can stay smart and grounded with his money and pro career. I expect he will. Proud of ya TT.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

For those that haven't visited, Cake Boss Town is a great place to hang a hat.

Watch your bones, though, TT, $450K can disappear fast these days.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess we were typing al mismo tiempo, amigo. Lo siento.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Originality is saying the same thing someone else said in a new way, or from dipping into the colllective unconscious at nearly the same moment. No problemo, senor.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

500k really isn't that much money, Man.

Buy things that appreciate, not depreciate, Man.

Keep your friends away from it, Man.

And Especially your family that hasn't been through thick and thin, Man.

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

TT, Good luck to you in NBA. I wish you all the best. Your maturity in senior year was one of greatest highlights for me as a Jayhawk. And always remember what go you in NBA.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Your final sentence reminds me of another wise quote:

"Make of NBA in the goes to you. Took of Lebron. Hello please."

-Mark Twain

Steve Reigle 2 years, 3 months ago

I've been a Tyshawn Taylor fan for a long time. I was happy to see he got a two-year guaranteed contract, something not offered to too may second rounders, especially with the significant increase in $$ the second year. But, most of all, I'm glad to see TT is being very level-headed with his money. That says a lot about the quality of the person.

John Boyle 2 years, 3 months ago

"And always remember what go you in NBA." what???

Joe Joseph 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor had an epic senior season at Kansas. We won't see a senior guard with his ability to score at Kansas for a long time.

Ted Hume 2 years, 3 months ago

true. in case people forget, it was Ty, not TRob, who led the team in scoring in conference play- basically, for the "real" season. Think about that and let it sink in. Not a knock on TRob, of course, but a refresher to what an unbelievable year Ty had, especially from Christmas on.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 3 months ago

With also Withey leading the conf in blocks by a huge margin in conf play. Somehow Bill Self put together one of the most complete teams in terms of starters in our history without all the huge talent.

jaybate 2 years, 3 months ago

Copy and paste to all above.

But we can hope with Elijah, for oddly enough, greatness occassionally clusters.

There is a potentially great player locked inside the Prophet, too.

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

Possibly even greater than Ty.

[ The Prophet slowly lifts his head and emerges from the under the brim of Clint Eastwood's Boss of the Plains hat, hand worked and custom fitted for The Outlaw Josey Wales. In the shadows of a dark, dusty Waco arena. EJ: "You a bounty hunter?" - Pierre Jackson: "It's a livin'." - EJ: "Dying ain't much of a livin' boy." ]

This is The Prophet's time! He will emerge with a new confidence. The weight of a team's expectations, of a school's expectations. of a community's, will push him to take the lead and drive the lane. It will push him to make the shots, the stops, dimes and charities. Like Tyshawn before him, it's finally his time.

And IMHO, The Prophet has more bullets in the wheel.

Take over EJ!

Eric Dawson 2 years, 3 months ago

As I understand it Danny used to drill fiscal responsibility into the guys as part of his coaching plan. He was a great role model in that regard, having done a very good job of managing his own financial situation. Hopefully someone is picking up that role with Danny Now at Tulsa.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

I love Tyshawn! I'm sure he's probably been too busy to keep up with the new recruits and such, but it seems odd that Elijah and Naadir were the only guards he mentioned. Of course he knows that Travis and Ben are still around, right?

machinegun 2 years, 3 months ago

I am really looking forward to watching Tyshawn at the next level. Considering how hard he worked for Coach Self and KU, he certainly deserves some good fortune. I love it when the naysayers finally roll over.

jgkojak 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, buy 1 car, your condo, then STOP and invest the rest-- if you get re-signed to another bigger contract or get to pull a Langford in Europe - then you can start spending.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, diversify your assets...some bonds, some securities [large and small cap], some cash in CD's, a little gold. Financial security is like a table...the more legs it has, the steadier it becomes.

Then set up a living budget and stay within it...have fun but be smart. Hire a sound financial advisor and chart your course.

PS Win some basketball games, too!! :)

RockChalk26 2 years, 3 months ago

That is sound advice Oakville, but I think Allen Iverson would have to disagree with you.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's wishing you the very best, Ty. Follow every move that D. Williams makes this season. I hope you have a long and relatively injury free pro career. Make the Jayhawk Nation as proud of you as a pro as you did last season in a Kansas singlet. Thanks for giving us the 4 years and some spectacular play. I apologize for being so rough on you along the way. You proved to us that you could persevere, grow and win.

kufaninmo 2 years, 3 months ago

great article, but i kinda feel like he could've done away with asking him who he thinks he can handout money to. seems a bit outta place, almost as if he would just initally expect that ty would give his money away for some reason.

DDDHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn- We miss you already! You deserve the very best. Good luck! We'll be watching with pride!

PowayBoyAtThePhog 2 years, 2 months ago

My all time favorite player. All the best, Ty! The Fieldhouse isn't going to be the same without ya...: (