Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bill Self tees off for Scouts

Coach happy to help cause, but ‘I hate golf’

Bill Self had modest expectations as he teed it up in the 15th-annual Boy Scout Classic on Monday afternoon at Lawrence Country Club.

“I’ve gotten to the point where I hate golf,” Self, Kansas University’s 10th-year basketball coach, said with a smile. “It’s not because I haven’t played a lot. It’s because when I do, I’ve been awful. I’m going to spend about six months regrouping, then get ready for a stellar 2013.”

Self said he was pleased to lend his support to a tournament that was run by former KU football great John Hadl before Self’s arrival in Lawrence.

“This is a great event that goes to a good cause,” Self said. “Any time you can benefit youth in our community, it’s always a positive.”

Baseball Hall of Famer George Brett was one of the 104 participants.

“I know one thing: If anybody can hit it further than him, I’d like to see it because he can bomb it,” Self said.

Money raised through the event and silent auction benefit the Heart of America Council of the Boy Scouts of America serving northeast Kansas and northwest Missouri. Proceeds specifically go to camp scholarships and outreach support (membership fees, equipment, books and materials) for the Boy Scouts in the area. Douglas County is part of the Pelathe District of the Heart of America Council and has more than 1,100 young men and women involved in Boy Scouts of America.

Ben’s back: Self said red-shirt freshman Ben McLemore (hip flexor) is back on the court practicing. “He should be full speed by next week,” Self said.

Upcoming schedule: Here’s the upcoming schedule leading up to the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog.

“We’ll be practicing our two hours a week (in accordance with NCAA rules) and doing individuals (workouts),” Self said. “Beginning Sept. 15, we can do that with our entire team. Boot Camp starts the fourth week in September.

“The bottom line is this: They are going to spend more time than ever in the weight room,” he added. “I felt we probably didn’t spend as much time in the weight room this summer as what I would have liked because we were practicing those days (for European trip). You are limited on hours. We are going to really get after the guys physically here the next six to eight weeks.”

Self said he had no complaints about the players’ bodies.

“Our guys look good,” he said. “With freshmen, though, they can’t just look the role, because we’ve got a lot of guys who look the role. There’s something about the weight room that just develops toughness and an attitude. We need to get more of that.”

Recruiting: No. 2-ranked Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, has cut his list of schools to 10, Rivals.com reports. They are: KU, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas. Randle will visit Florida on Oct. 6 when the Gators meet LSU in football. He will not sign until the spring. ... Chris Jones, a 5-foot-10, 195-pound sophomore point guard from Northwest Florida State college in Niceville, Fla., tells Rivals.com he has a list of KU, Baylor, Florida State, Louisville and Oklahoma State. The Memphis native said he will visit KU for Late Night. He said he has been offered a scholarship by the KU staff.

“They’re ready to put the ball in my hands and let me rock. The coaching staff at Kansas wants me and they want me to help win another national championship,” Jones told JayhawkSlant.com. “I really like the style of play at Kansas and I like coach Bill Self as a person.”

Comments

Phil Leister 6 years, 5 months ago

It took me a minute to figure out that Chris Jones is a sophomore in COLLEGE. If he's telling the truth, Bill must be in love with the kid.

Alohahawk 6 years, 5 months ago

For some background information on Chris Jones, Scout.com has an article from a few years ago when he signed with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee out of high school (Class of 2011). Click on college, and go to the Kansas site. Jones is the last name on their Kansas prospects list. Sounds like a Sherron clone. Short and bulky, like Collins, and can light up the scoreboard. Or at least he did at that time.

You can also vote in their March Madness poll for conference winner. Big 12 and Big East are currently tied for first (of about 10 conferences listed), with about 215,000 votes cast. Very premature, but with that many votes cast it does show some confidence in the Big 12 for the coming season.

melrank 6 years, 5 months ago

The last couple of years we've missed on some guys where we seemed to be "all in" so I understand having a back-up plan, but how many PGs are we going to (supposedly) offer?

Was it like, "Chris, we will give you a scholarship if Cat and Demetrius say no"?

This announcement of an offer (if true) can lead to lots of speculation:

Are we not in a good position for Cat and Demetrius? Or is Jones just as good as those guys? Is Naadir (and Adams) not progressing well enough, so we need 2 more PGs soon?
Will Connor not be a primary ball handler/distributor next year?

This is an interesting development and I'm not sure it makes sense right now.

mojayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I like having multiple point/combo guards for the 3 man rotation. Always need front line players and others that need time to develop eg Elijah.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't think Bill ever expects a point guard to come in and play his freshman year. Can anyone ever remember that happening since Bill's been here? Maybe a few minutes here and there, but he expects their first year to be a learning year. He expects a lot from his point guards, and calls them "extensions of himself."

Jack Wilson 6 years, 5 months ago

melrank: If you recall, we supposedly made an offer as well to an unranked point guard, Frank Mason. I would simply assume that Self is making sure he has alternatives. Be assured, Self makes conditional offers. All coaches do it. There are some offers that aren't. Top guys. Our number of offers exceeds our available scholarships.

Perhaps it's like this .. Barber and Jackson .. Self tells them, whoever commits first is my guy. No conditions. He might tell Jackson, though .. hey, if you're going to commit, give me some advance notice. That would allow him to talk to Barber and give him a commit now, or the ship is sailing, ultimatum. But I suspect that he'd take the first commit of Barber and Jackson.

I don't know if the Barber/Jackson thing is similar to he Turner/Tharpe deal. Jackson is at #18 in the ESPN rankings, but #70 in Rivals (which is similar to Tharpe's ranking). That's a big disparity. The difference between an elite player and a really good one. So it's tough to tell.

With Jones, I cannot imagine the offer not being conditional. Would you in your right mind take Jones over Barber? It's still early. But as time goes on, Self may take the bird in the hand. I understand many times that offers made relate to the visits, and letting recruits complete fall visits.

With Mason, he is clearly a back-up plan. A "hey, we'd like you, but our offer is conditional on "X" "Y" and "Z"." If we get to November 1 and we don't have those conditions met, we'll let you know for sure.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 6 years, 5 months ago

(cont) The recruit isn't powerless, of course. It goes both ways. Say a kid (let's say Jones) is recruited by KU and there are conditions, and wants to get it done because he might lose a spot somewhere else. He certainly could say to Self "I'm going to commit to Illinois if you won't take me. Illinois needs to know now. I want to come to KU, but I can't risk losing Illinois." Self then could say .. "You better take Illinois" or "Give me 24 hours." Self calls Jackson and Barber to say "Look, I can't wait. If you will commit, we're good. But if not, then we're done." It's a gamble. Of course, Jones could say .. "I'll commit, but I need you to promise me that you won't add a top 100 point guard if you take me." Or whatever.

You mentioned "all in" .. obviously referencing Self's admission on the recruitment of Kaleb Tarczewski, where he passed on some other guys hoping to get Tarc.

But Self's willingness to wait on the home run is likely tied to his roster (though the Tarc example doesn't support that). If he really needs a point guard in his mind, he might not wait as long -- say into the spring. If he feels that it isn't the end of the world if he doesn't get one .. he might let Mason and Jones go if they look to commit elsewhere, and wait on Jackson and Barber, understanding he could lose both, and then be stuck with the next "diamond in the rough" to fill a roster spot.

We'll really know through the fall, and at the November signing period.

Jones: “They’re ready to put the ball in my hands and let me rock. The coaching staff at Kansas wants me and they want me to help win another national championship,” Jones told JayhawkSlant.com.

I'm just curious, but do you think Tyrone Appleton was told the same thing?

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

"A Primer on Recruiting"

See Bill recruit. Recruit Bill recruit. See Chris sign. Sign Chris sign. Recruit small. Recruit tall. Sign small. Sign tall. Recruit more. Sign more. Coach, Bill, coach. Play, recruits, play.

With 13 scholies and a "play it anyway you want" philo, it only makes sense to carry two kinds of player at each position, when you can, so you can go long, or short, as matchups dictate.

The combos allow Self to go long at the 1 and 2 spots and short at the 3. The 5-10 to 6-0 guards allow him to go short at the 1 and 2.

The 4 and 5 need two studs and two finesse players. Of the two finesse bigs, one needs to be a swatter, the other a scorer. Of the two studs, one needs to have scoring and boarding skills, while the other needs to be a muscle ball enforcer. All need to bulk up in the weight room for the grind it out games.

Remaining scholies each year are used to backfill each type for following years, according to the best that can be attracted for the type that is the most urgent priority.

.It goes almost without saying, everyone has to have the defensive gene and the swagger protein.

Last alternate years over recruiting front court and back court.

(Note: this was a PSA for those scratching their heads at Bill's recruiting.)

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

HEM, you raise a great question about what may have prompted Jones remark.

Appleton was never a highly ranked prospect as I recall, so I doubt he was told something like that.

Jones was a Pearl recruit at a time when Pearl was able to attract guys like Selby, so I infer two things: Jones is a swaggering, ambitious type, like most of Pearl's guys were, and he was once perhaps 4 star ranked.

But would Self and staff say what he said they did?

Maybe, but my hunch is Jones is a street smart kid, who is trying to play Self with that quote. Self is on record as wanting talented "characters" with "swagger." Jones is lost in Niceville with nothing to lose. He maybe trying to catch Bill's fancy by doing something brash. I can't say, though, if it will help or hurt him with Self. But again, in Niceville, you've got nothing to lose. And desperate gamblers will always bet everything on a number they have a bunch on.

Eric Williams 6 years, 5 months ago

If I recall, he wanted to go to KU, KU offered a scholarship. Then during a summer (before Junior or Senior HS year) he got several other schools that were interested. He decided to re-open his recruitment and I believe KU rescinded the offer.

RJ King 6 years, 5 months ago

If I recall, Jackson had some (academic?) issues and was not allowed to play with his HS team for quite awhile. His stock plummeted, it looked like he would not qualify for D1, and was projected to attend juco. I'm not sure that KU ever reciprocated the interest with an actual offer.

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 5 months ago

Also, one thing not mentioned, is a scholarship opened up with the leaving a Doyle...there isn't a guarantee that scholarship is going to Wesley...it could be that HCBS brings in a redshirt to get the person in the system for a year.

I'm getting the feeling HCBS loves using red-shirts, it just is convincing some of these young adults it is in their best interest. KU has actually been lucky with many of the RS actually sticking around. TRele is a prime example. This past year with BMac and company they didn't have as much of a choice, but they could have gone to a JUCO or another Div I school that does accept Partial Qualifiers.

I'm sure in some cases HCBS would want to be the one making the decision, but in this case it appears to have helped the team.

RJ King 6 years, 5 months ago

Here's another link to an article written in April 2012: http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/junior-college/2012/04/juco-spotlight-chris-jones/

I believe Jones would be playing as a junior in 2013-14, and that Naadir is the only current scholarship player in that class. Always nice to have fairly balanced graduating classes so recruiting doesn't become lopsided (unless you're a squid).

Speaking of slime, for whatever it's worth, Jones has some Baylor images in his avatar.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 5 months ago

Reading the posts today .. the discussion on Jones is excellent .. I'm seeing this a bit differently. Appreciate all of the links. Great stuff.

Would Jones actually be better than Barber or Jackson? Maybe so. Maybe no.

A guy who has top Juco experience, time to perfect his game, was a top 50 player to begin with .. everything checks out. JB was right; much different than Appleton. I stand corrected there. It does look much different.

I will also say that the Juco coach's opinion, who had coached at Tennessee, has a bit higher level of credibility than the "sleeper" and "D-Wade" high school guys .. konkey was right on top of that .. but still take it with a grain of salt when coaches are pumping up their guys.

I guess I'm wondering where Self ranks these guys on his wish list? I still think it's Barber, Jackson, Jones, in that order, even with the fact that Jones may be a bit more seasoned and possibly more "game ready" from day one. He is a Juco guy. Maybe Barber, Jones, Jackson .. but I can't see Barber not being the #1 target.

Self won't get two of these guys (Barber, Jackson, Jones). I saw the reference to the extra scholarship by jhawkrulz .. these guys won't fit that redshirt bill. All want to play. All probably deserve to play. All won't play if two of them come. We'll be lucky to get one.

But I think I feel much better about this now. Mason seems like our only real reach. Let's not have to reach. Please.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 5 months ago

What a great site this is...with one click you can click on the Bible and with a subsequent click, you can click on a Roman orgy.....America, what a great country!!!!