Sunday, August 26, 2012

Future Jayhawks solid in basketball showcase

Future Kansas University basketball players Brannen Greene and Conner Frankamp scored 13 and five points respectively in helping the Raymond Lewis squad defeat the Marques Johnson squad, 164-138, in Saturday’s Under Armour Elite 24 all-star game in Venice Beach, Calif.

Greene, a 6-foot-7 senior small forward from Tift County High in Forsyth, Ga., hit six of 10 shots and one of two free throws. He added four rebounds, two assists and a turnover in 13 minutes. He is ranked No. 31 in the recruiting Class of 2013 by Rivals.com.

Frankamp, a 6-foot senior guard from Wichita North, hit one of seven shots and three of three free throws. Rivals.com’s No. 28-ranked player missed three three-pointers and had two assists, no turnovers and one rebound in 15 minutes.

Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon, who have KU on their list of schools, had 27 and 25 points respectively for the winners. Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who is ranked No. 2 overall, hit 13 of 14 shots. He had three rebounds. Gordon, a 6-8 senior from Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, Calif., who is ranked No. 5 nationally, hit 12 of 18 shots. He had seven rebounds. Gordon told ESPN.com that he will visit KU, Arizona, Washington, Oregon and Kentucky and make an unofficial visit to Cal.

Randle won the slam-dunk competition and Frankamp the three-point shooting contest Friday.

“It was fun out here and with this great setting it was a good time,” Frankamp told SLAM Magazine, referring to winning the three-point contest on an outdoor court. He credited his daily shooting routine that consists of 300-400 makes.

“It’s all different types of shots, not just threes,” he told SLAM. “I can usually get done pretty quick, about 30 minutes.”

Of choosing KU, Frankamp said: “It was always my dream to go to Kansas, I guess you can say. I can’t wait to get there. Kirk Hinrich is probably my favorite player to come through KU; he was sweet.”

No. 21-ranked Wayne Selden, a 6-5 senior shooting guard from Tilton (N.H.) School who is considering KU and others, scored 14 points off 6-of-10 shooting for the losing team.

Jackson update: Demetrius Jackson, a 6-1 senior point guard from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., will visit KU on Sept. 26-27, the Indianapolis Star reports. Jackson, who is ranked No. 70 nationally, also is considering Illinois, Kentucky, Notre Dame and Louisville. He’ll visit Illinois this weekend.

“Growing up I wasn’t given much and definitely never had choices like this,” Jackson told the Indy Star. “I didn’t really start playing basketball until sixth grade. But learning from coach Creech (Rod, MBA Select AAU) and others, I feel like I’ve grown up a lot. I feel pretty good right now where I’m at with the recruitment process.”

Lawrence’s list: No. 19-ranked Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 power forward from Pope John XXIII in Sparta, N.J., reports on Twitter that he has a final top seven of KU, Cincinnati, Kentucky, St. John’s, Syracuse, UCLA and UNLV.

Taylor to sign today: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets will sign autographs from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. today at Dillons, 1740 Massachusetts.

Comments

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 11 months ago

Kind of like the Globetrotters vs the Generals.

I just like Conner more and more as I see and hear more about him. The fact that Hinrich is his idol raised my excitement and expectation level another notch. Nobody was a better or more hardworking KU point guard who could slide to the two whenever we wanted for him to light it up from three and was always the first to the floor on loose balls.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with a lot of what you said except your last point. Randle knows Bill Self is the Man in Lawrence. Everybody else falls in line. That's why he'll end up elsewhere; somewhere he can command the show.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

Excited about Connor. Didn't see much D last night from him but I think that is the nature of these games...and Self can teach that. You can't teach that lethal 3 he has.

Greene also - nice player. Will be a great addition. Randle...wow. If we got that kid with the pieces we already have...

I like the Lawrence kid also. He has some serious interest though from the local schools...let's see where it goes!

Robert Brock 1 year, 11 months ago

All that game needed was trampolines.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

I wonder how much a gig at Dillons pays, like the one Tyshawn will be doing? What, maybe a year's supply of frozen pizzas?

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Hard to believe Frankamp could go 1-7.

I don't anticipate seeing alot of those performances in the fieldhouse. the kids got an amazing jumpshot.

Where did Greene finish in the 3pt contest?

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Not surprising, Greene is not possess the freak athletic ability that wins slam dunk contests.

he is however a fundamentally sound, smooth shooter. he should have been in the 3 pt contest!

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Sad to think that at least a third of those players will barely make an impact on college programs before traipsing off to the draft after a season. The Div. 1 game would be so much more spectacular if all of them stayed for 3 years, as most players did back in the Paul Pierce days. Of course, if Calipari can sign enough of them, they will make a quick impact. I would much prefer that Bill Self continue to host no more than a single one and doner, so that the fan/player bonding process might survive and flourish. Perhaps young Mr. Randle could be that one exception for 2013-14. If Ben Mac departs in the spring, at least the Jayhawk Nation has been drawn to his bandwagon for 2 seasons.

NotWiller 1 year, 11 months ago

As much as I like to like the players, surely we all know that the fan-player bonding process is most facilitated by winning basketball games (assuming no scandals, etc.). So until they change the one-and-done rule, I'm rooting for the strongest team we can get, no matter who stays for however long.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

NotWiller, I would imagine that your stance is much more popular than mine; and I am fully aware that many KU fans would as soon see us go the UK route if it would lead to more Final Fours or national titles. Respectfully, that is just not my cup of tea. Bill Self has proved that he can develop 3- and 4-star players over time, and feed an occasional 5-star into his squad, amassing a group which can win league titles and go far in NCAA tournaments without a covey of one- or two-and-doners. The growth and patient development of five year guys like Withey, Releford, Teahan and Morningstar are a real joy for me to watch. Xavier and Josh were very valuable impact players, but I barely remember them as Jayhawks...and am not much inclined to follow their pro careers. Their limited growth in the Bill Self schematic did not capture my heart. Even Shady Arthur, whose sophomore play was so essential to that '08 Title, did not strike a solid bond with my sense of allegiance. Nor, of course, did Julian, another 2-and-doner. I find John Calipari's success with the quick departers to be anathema to collegiate athletics. If Self and Co. ever succumb to that path, I am outta here.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Sounds like I was better off going to bed early, after all. :)

NotWiller 1 year, 11 months ago

this game sounds like an even worse version of the McDonalds game in Chicago, which I went to this year but won't do again. Love that a bunch of hard working high schoolers get a forum to have fun and get recognized, but about the only version of hoops I find less attractive than regular season NBA is high schoolers encouraged to act like isolates. Let them have fun before college, but I'll leave it to others to drive the tv ratings.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

" Masteries of the Obvious (MTO) and Other Tedia at the Burnt End of Summer"

(Note: Tedia used as plural of tedium to show intentional mastery of an obvious immitative fallacy. Not sure it's a real word, or not.). :-)

• "It was really just guys dunking and alley-ooping, which is fine for an All Star exhibition." --JayShagging

Respondez: No kidding? First MTO, then normalize it. :-)

• "I was a little shocked with how big of a kid Greene is. He is every bit of 6'7". --OakvilleAndjaybatesBitch

Respondez: Listed 6-7. Looks 6-7. translation? A = A. A little shocking? Not unless every other player on the floor looked sharply shorter, or sharply taller than their measurements. Or alternatively, unless one masters the obvious unconsciously :-)

• "Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 power forward from Pope John XXIII in Sparta, N.J., reports on Twitter that he has a final top seven of KU, Cincinnati, Kentucky, St. John’s, Syracuse, UCLA and UNLV." --Jermaine Lawrence via Gary "Having Some Fun with the Inanity of List Narrowing" Bedore

Respondez: What was the preliminary final top seven? Will there be a final, final top seven?

• "He (Frankamp) sent it way down court with lots of velocity more than once." --Oakvilleandjaybatesbitch

Respondez: A future D1 guard that is able to make a two-handed chest pass down court in a running game? Without winding up? Without getting a hernia? Without getting tennis elbow? With out getting heat rash? That's incredible! Bulletin: both guards on my high school team in the 70s could do THAT! :-)

Robin Smith 1 year, 11 months ago

Which part was insensible to you? Was it the French? I bet it was the French.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Gee, OakvilleandjaybatesBitch,

I guessed you hadn't an original bone in your virtual body, but I didn't expect you to be such an apparently insecure submissive. :-)

Rest easy in your collar.

Re-training is fun.

And henceforth, you must always address your master as (Master)bate , or face posting-discipline. With you, (Master)bate is most fitting.

:-)

P.S: I thought it was decent fluff, OakvilleandjaybatesBitch. Substantive. Humorously expressed. Creatively presented. But most of all, accurate. ;-)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Demetrius Jackson is ranked #18 in ESPN's top 100 .. that was updated in August, and Rivals has him at #70. Would be interesting to hear why there is such a difference. Rarely see such a disparity.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Would someone please cut Frankamp some slack on 1-7? He was coming back from a broken ankle, or something, wasn't he?

jaybate's three point fantasy for today: Ben stays two seasons. KU plays Syrexcuse. Self starts:

1 Frankamp 2 Ben 3 Andrew 4 Greene 5 Perry

Self orders nothing but 3 pt attempts from all five positions. All five are hot.

Score end of first half: 60-30. KU up.

Score end of game. 120-60 KU wins.

Boeheim awakened and fired.

Outta here!

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

I can't stand that Boeheim gets so much credit for his 2-3 zone. It's horrendous.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Phog: Hmmm ... the record might disagree with you there. Boeheim gets credit because he actually coaches it correctly, and diligently. See Scott Drew for the opposite of that.

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

5 Elite Eights in 36 seasons. Yes he makes a FF once a decade, but compare him to Roy, Self, Izzo, Cal, Calhoun, throw in Donovan, that guy in Durham, Howland, Pitino, no contest. But ESPN probably spends more time talking about the Cuse 2-3 zone than every defense of the guys I listed combined. I don't remember any of the FF Cuse teams getting there with their lock-down defense necessarily. Do like the shot at Scott Drew though, well played HEM.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

phog,

I dislike his condescending style and his zone, too, but until we avenge that dreadful loss to them in the Finals, when they had Carmelo (wasn't it?), the rules of the playground require me to bite my lip, until we dust them off, when it counts. After that? Oh, it will be an endless and happy fusillade of disrespecting Boeheim from me.

P.S.: His employing an assistant coach that reputedly was an alleged pedophile with a wife who reputedly diddled members of the team does seem fair game for discourse until then. Not sure what ever happened with those reputed allegations. Can anyone fill us in?

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

As I noted above (hidden as it may be) Jaybate, the problem with that is when he didn't make his 5th Elite Eight until his 36th season as head coach, it's hard to get opportunities to avenge those losses. He hasn't been back to the FF since then so how do you avenge a FF loss? Every time KU has lost to SU in the tourney it has been against the best team SU has ever had. Big whoop.

manunitedjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Jaybate,

It was a broken foot wasn't it? Doubt he would be playing after a month if it was a broken ankle. Let me guess, both the guards on your high school team in the 70s played 2 days after suffering compound fractures to both their ankles while playing against Syracuse (KS) deadly 2-3 zone?

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

manunitedanddividedjayhawk,

So you agree that he should be cut some slack while he is just coming off the injury. :-)

Regarding those two guards that could snap a full court pass anywhere on the run, one was a 5-7 inch guy with good athletic ability, and one was 6-0 with just average athletic ability.

Neither had Fx's of either foot, but one did play through very severe hang nails at times!

Heck, manunitedanddividedjayhawk, if I dust the cobwebs a bit, our first backup at guard could punch it up court without having to resort to a recoil-less rifle to get the job done either! :-)

RE: school size, it was a big high school: 2,200 kids depending on the day of the week. Friday of course, it was always a bit smaller.

Really, this is comical that a guard on the run has to baseball it up the floor. I mean Kevin Love did, because he was a big baby-fatted post man, passing out of a rebound and pivot.

A guard on the fly that can't chest pass it the length of the court is a girlie man.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

No, wait after this past Olympiad and the women carrying us all on their backs for a change, scratch that "girlie man." In fact, that phrase has to be flushed permanently as obsolete.

No more girlie man references.

Wimpy man.

That's more like it. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

Which school do you go to, The School for the Blind? I didn't see one person in that video that resembled KY.

I did, however, truly appreciate several of the girl dancers. Thanks for sharing!

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

memhawk,

Don't be so hard on Oakvilleandjaybate'sBitch.

He's very fragile right now. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Oops, my miscue. You were not responding to OakvilleandjaybatesBitch were you? :-)

I wonder if he/she would like to be OakvilleandjaybatesandmemhawksBitch?

No, I suppose not.

Alohahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

A number of Jayhawk fans on this board are still hoping that J. Randle will select KU, and I would love to see it happen. To be realistic, however, I think KU has about a 20% chance to sign him. Yes, I know, he announced today that he cut his list to 10, including KU. But based on his recent comments, if the Harrison twins sign with Kenstinky (They've said they plan to sign somewhere this Fall.), he'll not wait, but sign early with UK. If they don't, IMHO, Randle will wait till the Spring and sign with Duke. One caveat: The biggest thing going for KU at the moment would be that Randle played with Frankamp and Greene this past weekend. That could be a positive influence more than anything else at this point in time. I'm aware that Randle and Zach Peters were teammates in high school, but Randle has indicated he'd enjoy playing with his former high school point guard/teammate, whom Duke has signed. I'd guess KU has a more realistic chance, about 25%, to sign J. Parker. By preference, Parker's top three (out of about 10 finalists) seem to be Michigan St, Duke, then KU. Again, Frankamp might have some influence because he teamed with Parker this summer on the under 17 US team that won the gold.

How would those two effect KU's recruitment of others? It could effect A. Barber (about 50/50 KU), if he really wants to partner up with SF Troy Williams (not offered, yet). KU doesn't really need anyone else at SF (currently), but Self would definitely find room for Parker. If Randle waits till the Spring to decide, would Self also wait, or would he cover his bases and sign a sure thing if he could get K. Shepherd, J.Lawrence, or another highly ranked PF/Ctr? (Remember, Randle is a definite OAD, while others may not be.) And if Barber waits till Spring to sign, would Self wait to sign him, or go with D. Jackson? Wild cards: I'd love to get A. Gordon (10% chance), a smaller version of a Blake Griffin clone, who has KU in his top five and plans to visit, but he's very high on Washington and the Pac 12. Newly reclassified to 2013, SF Wayne Seldon is probably about a 30 - 40 % KU lean. Finally, there's A. Freeman (SG), T. Roberson (SF), Marcus Lee (SF/PF), James Young (SF), Rysheed Jordan (PG/SG), I. Lewis (PG), and BeeJay Anya (Ctr).

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

BeeJay Anya is most likely destined to play alongside Peter Jurkin at IU, but I have faith Self will get a commit from a quality big next year whether it be a freshman or a transfer. As long as Ellis, Peters, Traylor and Lucas stay healthy, Self will have solid post play after W and KYo depart.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

I think heaps should give a call to parker, it could only help.