Sunday, August 26, 2012

Future Jayhawks solid in basketball showcase

Future Kansas University basketball players Brannen Greene and Conner Frankamp scored 13 and five points respectively in helping the Raymond Lewis squad defeat the Marques Johnson squad, 164-138, in Saturday’s Under Armour Elite 24 all-star game in Venice Beach, Calif.

Greene, a 6-foot-7 senior small forward from Tift County High in Forsyth, Ga., hit six of 10 shots and one of two free throws. He added four rebounds, two assists and a turnover in 13 minutes. He is ranked No. 31 in the recruiting Class of 2013 by Rivals.com.

Frankamp, a 6-foot senior guard from Wichita North, hit one of seven shots and three of three free throws. Rivals.com’s No. 28-ranked player missed three three-pointers and had two assists, no turnovers and one rebound in 15 minutes.

Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon, who have KU on their list of schools, had 27 and 25 points respectively for the winners. Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who is ranked No. 2 overall, hit 13 of 14 shots. He had three rebounds. Gordon, a 6-8 senior from Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, Calif., who is ranked No. 5 nationally, hit 12 of 18 shots. He had seven rebounds. Gordon told ESPN.com that he will visit KU, Arizona, Washington, Oregon and Kentucky and make an unofficial visit to Cal.

Randle won the slam-dunk competition and Frankamp the three-point shooting contest Friday.

“It was fun out here and with this great setting it was a good time,” Frankamp told SLAM Magazine, referring to winning the three-point contest on an outdoor court. He credited his daily shooting routine that consists of 300-400 makes.

“It’s all different types of shots, not just threes,” he told SLAM. “I can usually get done pretty quick, about 30 minutes.”

Of choosing KU, Frankamp said: “It was always my dream to go to Kansas, I guess you can say. I can’t wait to get there. Kirk Hinrich is probably my favorite player to come through KU; he was sweet.”

No. 21-ranked Wayne Selden, a 6-5 senior shooting guard from Tilton (N.H.) School who is considering KU and others, scored 14 points off 6-of-10 shooting for the losing team.

Jackson update: Demetrius Jackson, a 6-1 senior point guard from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., will visit KU on Sept. 26-27, the Indianapolis Star reports. Jackson, who is ranked No. 70 nationally, also is considering Illinois, Kentucky, Notre Dame and Louisville. He’ll visit Illinois this weekend.

“Growing up I wasn’t given much and definitely never had choices like this,” Jackson told the Indy Star. “I didn’t really start playing basketball until sixth grade. But learning from coach Creech (Rod, MBA Select AAU) and others, I feel like I’ve grown up a lot. I feel pretty good right now where I’m at with the recruitment process.”

Lawrence’s list: No. 19-ranked Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 power forward from Pope John XXIII in Sparta, N.J., reports on Twitter that he has a final top seven of KU, Cincinnati, Kentucky, St. John’s, Syracuse, UCLA and UNLV.

Taylor to sign today: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets will sign autographs from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. today at Dillons, 1740 Massachusetts.

Comments

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

I think heaps should give a call to parker, it could only help.

Alohahawk 1 year, 7 months ago

A number of Jayhawk fans on this board are still hoping that J. Randle will select KU, and I would love to see it happen. To be realistic, however, I think KU has about a 20% chance to sign him. Yes, I know, he announced today that he cut his list to 10, including KU. But based on his recent comments, if the Harrison twins sign with Kenstinky (They've said they plan to sign somewhere this Fall.), he'll not wait, but sign early with UK. If they don't, IMHO, Randle will wait till the Spring and sign with Duke. One caveat: The biggest thing going for KU at the moment would be that Randle played with Frankamp and Greene this past weekend. That could be a positive influence more than anything else at this point in time. I'm aware that Randle and Zach Peters were teammates in high school, but Randle has indicated he'd enjoy playing with his former high school point guard/teammate, whom Duke has signed. I'd guess KU has a more realistic chance, about 25%, to sign J. Parker. By preference, Parker's top three (out of about 10 finalists) seem to be Michigan St, Duke, then KU. Again, Frankamp might have some influence because he teamed with Parker this summer on the under 17 US team that won the gold.

How would those two effect KU's recruitment of others? It could effect A. Barber (about 50/50 KU), if he really wants to partner up with SF Troy Williams (not offered, yet). KU doesn't really need anyone else at SF (currently), but Self would definitely find room for Parker. If Randle waits till the Spring to decide, would Self also wait, or would he cover his bases and sign a sure thing if he could get K. Shepherd, J.Lawrence, or another highly ranked PF/Ctr? (Remember, Randle is a definite OAD, while others may not be.) And if Barber waits till Spring to sign, would Self wait to sign him, or go with D. Jackson? Wild cards: I'd love to get A. Gordon (10% chance), a smaller version of a Blake Griffin clone, who has KU in his top five and plans to visit, but he's very high on Washington and the Pac 12. Newly reclassified to 2013, SF Wayne Seldon is probably about a 30 - 40 % KU lean. Finally, there's A. Freeman (SG), T. Roberson (SF), Marcus Lee (SF/PF), James Young (SF), Rysheed Jordan (PG/SG), I. Lewis (PG), and BeeJay Anya (Ctr).

mariomiracle15 1 year, 7 months ago

Kevin Young Sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was surfing YouTube looking at flash mobs because my school is going to do one here soon and came across this Target Flash Mob of Beyonce End Of Time. However, Kevin Young made an appearance and I thought the Rock Chalk World Wide Fan Base should see it.

Kevin Young's Appearance- 0:37 ( 37 seconds in)

Youtube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7R9q...

RCJH!!!!!

manunitedjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Jaybate,

It was a broken foot wasn't it? Doubt he would be playing after a month if it was a broken ankle. Let me guess, both the guards on your high school team in the 70s played 2 days after suffering compound fractures to both their ankles while playing against Syracuse (KS) deadly 2-3 zone?

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Would someone please cut Frankamp some slack on 1-7? He was coming back from a broken ankle, or something, wasn't he?

jaybate's three point fantasy for today: Ben stays two seasons. KU plays Syrexcuse. Self starts:

1 Frankamp 2 Ben 3 Andrew 4 Greene 5 Perry

Self orders nothing but 3 pt attempts from all five positions. All five are hot.

Score end of first half: 60-30. KU up.

Score end of game. 120-60 KU wins.

Boeheim awakened and fired.

Outta here!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Demetrius Jackson is ranked #18 in ESPN's top 100 .. that was updated in August, and Rivals has him at #70. Would be interesting to hear why there is such a difference. Rarely see such a disparity.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

" Masteries of the Obvious (MTO) and Other Tedia at the Burnt End of Summer"

(Note: Tedia used as plural of tedium to show intentional mastery of an obvious immitative fallacy. Not sure it's a real word, or not.). :-)

• "It was really just guys dunking and alley-ooping, which is fine for an All Star exhibition." --JayShagging

Respondez: No kidding? First MTO, then normalize it. :-)

• "I was a little shocked with how big of a kid Greene is. He is every bit of 6'7". --OakvilleAndjaybatesBitch

Respondez: Listed 6-7. Looks 6-7. translation? A = A. A little shocking? Not unless every other player on the floor looked sharply shorter, or sharply taller than their measurements. Or alternatively, unless one masters the obvious unconsciously :-)

• "Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 power forward from Pope John XXIII in Sparta, N.J., reports on Twitter that he has a final top seven of KU, Cincinnati, Kentucky, St. John’s, Syracuse, UCLA and UNLV." --Jermaine Lawrence via Gary "Having Some Fun with the Inanity of List Narrowing" Bedore

Respondez: What was the preliminary final top seven? Will there be a final, final top seven?

• "He (Frankamp) sent it way down court with lots of velocity more than once." --Oakvilleandjaybatesbitch

Respondez: A future D1 guard that is able to make a two-handed chest pass down court in a running game? Without winding up? Without getting a hernia? Without getting tennis elbow? With out getting heat rash? That's incredible! Bulletin: both guards on my high school team in the 70s could do THAT! :-)

NotWiller 1 year, 7 months ago

this game sounds like an even worse version of the McDonalds game in Chicago, which I went to this year but won't do again. Love that a bunch of hard working high schoolers get a forum to have fun and get recognized, but about the only version of hoops I find less attractive than regular season NBA is high schoolers encouraged to act like isolates. Let them have fun before college, but I'll leave it to others to drive the tv ratings.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Sounds like I was better off going to bed early, after all. :)

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Sad to think that at least a third of those players will barely make an impact on college programs before traipsing off to the draft after a season. The Div. 1 game would be so much more spectacular if all of them stayed for 3 years, as most players did back in the Paul Pierce days. Of course, if Calipari can sign enough of them, they will make a quick impact. I would much prefer that Bill Self continue to host no more than a single one and doner, so that the fan/player bonding process might survive and flourish. Perhaps young Mr. Randle could be that one exception for 2013-14. If Ben Mac departs in the spring, at least the Jayhawk Nation has been drawn to his bandwagon for 2 seasons.

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Hard to believe Frankamp could go 1-7.

I don't anticipate seeing alot of those performances in the fieldhouse. the kids got an amazing jumpshot.

Where did Greene finish in the 3pt contest?

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 7 months ago

I wonder how much a gig at Dillons pays, like the one Tyshawn will be doing? What, maybe a year's supply of frozen pizzas?

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

All that game needed was trampolines.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 7 months ago

Excited about Connor. Didn't see much D last night from him but I think that is the nature of these games...and Self can teach that. You can't teach that lethal 3 he has.

Greene also - nice player. Will be a great addition. Randle...wow. If we got that kid with the pieces we already have...

I like the Lawrence kid also. He has some serious interest though from the local schools...let's see where it goes!

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

After watching the "game", I was a little shocked with how big of a kid Greene is. He is every bit of 6'7". Greene is a guy who will have an opportunity to make a lot of money and play until he is in his 30s. He is huge and has a sweet stroke but right now he lacks quickness and explosiveness. He would not be dynamic at all on the defensive side of the ball. He could guard another 3 and that is it. Greene is someone who already has everything that Kansas can't give him and that is why he will thrive under Bill and Hudy. I bet he is drafted after his junior year.

Frankamp surprised me a little too, we know he is small but he is no punk out there. Someone tried to put a shot up right in his face about 5 or 6 times and he showed really good elevation to contest all of those shots. I think only one was made. Another thing that excited me was the physical strength Frankamp showed when passing the ball. He sent it way down court with lots of velocity more than once. He doesn't even wind up when he does it, he just flicks it down the court easily.

In other breaking news, we need Julius Randle. He is an absolute beast. Inside 12 feet, the others just get out of the way. He is a physically dominating big man who can run the court and handle the ball like a 2 or 3. At one point in the game, he was sitting right next to Frankcamp and they were chatting. I really hope they got along... I have to believe that we are a strong contender. We're not THAT far from home, he knows he will be the man if he comes here and he knows we have other talent that demands attention from the defense.