Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Virginia prep ‘Cat’ Barber plans KU visit

Hampton (Va.) High School senior basketball point guard Anthony “Cat” Barber will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University Aug. 31-Sept. 2, his mother reported Wednesday.

Pam Barber told SNY.tv that the 6-foot-2 Barber would also visit Louisville (Sept. 7-9), North Carolina State (Sept. 14-16) and Alabama (Sept. 21-23).

The deciding factor will be ... “how important education is for them,” Pam said of the college programs. “Just, will Anthony be with someone he’s comfortable with? Is someone going to stop him when he’s wrong, praise him when he’s right?”

KU is also recruiting Barber’s Boo Williams AAU teammate Troy Williams, a 6-6 forward from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. Williams, who is ranked No. 41 nationally (Barber is No. 9), lists KU, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Louisville, Georgetown, South Carolina, Ohio State, Arkansas and Memphis.

“Anything is possible. They may play together. We’re just not sure right now,” Pam Barber said.

More recruiting: No. 36-rated Semi Ojeleye, a 6-6 senior forward from Ottawa High, has a final list of Duke, Indiana, Oregon and Stanford, Rivals.com reports. ... KU will hold an in-home visit on Sept. 10 with No. 70-rated Demetrius Jackson, a 6-1 senior point guard from Mishawaka, Ind. He has an in-home with Illinois on Sept. 9. ... No. 33-rated Marcus Lee, a 6-9 senior forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif., will visit Duke on Oct. 27-28, Zagsblog.com reports. He will also visit Louisville (Sept. 7), Kentucky (Oct. 12) and Indiana (Oct. 20). He has set in-home visits with KU (Oct. 6) and Kentucky (Oct. 16) and has already visited UCLA and California unofficially. ... No. 53-rated Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 senior forward from Roselle (N.J). Catholic, has cut his list to 10 schools: KU, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers, Seton Hall, SMU, South Carolina, Syracuse and Villanova.

Comments

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Does education matter at KU?

Check.

Will Self, staff and board rats be there to stop him when he is wrong, and praise when right?

Double check!

Come on, Anthony!

kufaninmo 2 years, 1 month ago

ewwww you wanna cum on anthony? sicko.

kufaninmo,

I missed it. It feels so good to miss it. It feels luxuriously good to miss it. It feels like, ooooooh, I missed another serial alias post. :-)

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate's posts carry a lot of weight and he hates being late, so he didn't wait. On this date he's first out of the gate and stays up to debate the fate of a highly rate(d) recruit. Thanks, mate. ;>P

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

A rhyming skipper! It doesn't get better than that. :-)

s6u6r6f 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, no? How about a rhyming skipper with da kine?

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Making me work today, eh?

"Can have any kine connotation depends on how you say um and who you say um wit."

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

That was well worth a thumbs up!!

BUT, do we really need another guard? It's never easy to pass on such a high level recruit but as we all know, things don't always work out the way we want them to. Until yesterday, it seemed that we all agreed on the position that was most in need of filling, if not the player.

Go to Olathe and get Semi.. Although that ship may have sailed already.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Self maybe recruiting Cat just to land Pam. Pam could be one of those 4-5 star moms, like Angel Morris, the team needs.

Rock Chalk Pam!

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 1 month ago

Not to mention the Harrison twins are going to sign with Kentucky on October 29th...

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Cool. Twins. Been there. Done that.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

I would call the Twins experiment an overall success. If that opportunity ever again presented itself, I hope we would jump at it.

We've even done the "brother" experiment although it would be hard to call that a success in the Henry's short time here.

Just throwing this out there...

Has there ever been a fraternal success better than the Morris brothers at KU?

David Hall 2 years, 1 month ago

LET'S HOPE THE STAFF CAN GET IT DONE

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't remember the avatar (which I like) or the poster name. New poster? If so, welcome to the board. Or did I, in my advanced age, just miss seeing any of your previous posts?

And however did you get an entire capped message past the LJW cap police??

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

THE CAPS LOCK CODE HAS BEEN BROKEN, BROTHER.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 1 month ago

I spit my orange juice out when I saw this post. In fact, I'm still laughing.

april28 2 years, 1 month ago

I live 15 miles north of Ottawa and, sadly, have no back story on Ojeyele...Gary: any ideas on why we aren't involved with him?

Robert Brock 2 years, 1 month ago

I watched him play some EYBL ball and I didn't think he looked particularly effective on either offense or defense. I don't think he is what the team needs right now. We need a couple of outstanding bigs and a quick, penetrating PG.

jc1306 2 years, 1 month ago

He plays for Mo-Kan Eclipse, those guys are off limits to KU. Same reason we weren't in on Willie Cauley that went to Kentucky. Politics

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry but not buying it.

Someone should have informed Natalie Knight that her politics were wrong (yes, a woman's basketball player but arguably one of the top players on the team).

Also, Mo-Kans Eclipse's head coach of the men's team also seems to have his politics wrong:

“We want every school out there recruiting our kids, but we don’t have that yet,” Caruthers said. “Georgetown has never recruited one of our kids. Even KU — we want KU to get on us real hard. We want every school out there to know about our guys.”

Someone please put this on HCBS's message board.

From what I have read, it seems that KU just isn't that interested. Didn't recruit Alec Burks either who ended up the 12th pick in the 2011 draft.

It doesn't seem to have any "political" reasons, at least not from the school's point of view Maybe it's playing at Deron Williams's skills camp that has soured these recruits but I find that unlikely also.

I would think being recruited by HCBS would have far more influence then going to Williams camp. At least I would hope so.

Dan Cook 2 years, 1 month ago

Will Spradling's dad has something to do with it. It's not been a KU-friendly environment. Just can't recall the details...

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

He carried KU high on his list for a long time, but we just never seemed interested. I always thought it was his position more than his ability. Edit: pardon this comment everyone. I inserted it far up on the page, and yet here it is!

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

Aloha, it seems you haven't spent much time on the message boards here at KUSports. Aloha, meet Blackmild. Blackmild, this is Aloha. Aloha is an old guy who lives in Hawaii. He reads every article on this site, like many of us, and comments frequently. He is a fellow Jayhawk devotee. Blackmild is a quite frequent poster from the message boards who often has interesting tidbits of relatively inside information on recruits and such that I believe he manages to attain by following various twitter accounts and other KU sports sites. He also famously writes in short, terse sentences using terribly amusing grammar and ALWAYS in all caps. Glad I could introduce you to one another... ;)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

And Aloha and Blackmild, this is KoolKeithFreeze, our designated historian and keeper of the site meeting minutes......unfortunately, sometimes suffers from carpal tunnel syndrone, transcribing Jaybate and HEM treatises. :)

dynamitehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Cat Barber is a cool name. Really cool. And if Troy Williams comes with him, then I think we should call him Mad Dog Williams.

If we had a Mad Dog and a Cat on the same team it would please me to the point that actual results would not matter.

dynamitehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Holy Crap! We could also have a Semi AND a Double Wide Traylor on that team!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 1 month ago

Like that he's coming...don't like that his short list is still a mile long with some closer-to-home schools. I like the dance that is brewing though with Williams too...how important is it that he receives an offer from KU for Cat''s decision making process? Cat will be surrounded by studs one way or another if he chooses KU so from my POV he can't lose by picking KU!

ccarp 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's fill Memorial against SDSU and show Mr. Barber and family how much we support our Hawks!

soapisurfriend 2 years, 1 month ago

Take a look at what Randle has been up to as of late. Contrary to the article, I'd say there's no way he goes to UK and I'm certain he would never play college ball with the twins or Wiggins. He wants to be the star of his class, and that bodes well for Kansas. It's also likely why he speaks highly of the guys already commited to Self because Greene and Frankampenstein would be a phenomenal supporting cast.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't forget his buddy Zach Peters is here, also.

Looking at these recruiting boards it seems like sooner or later just about every top recruit will end up choosing between at Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and Duke.

It would sure help if the NCAA banned that friggin' hat picking thing!!

Alex Berger 2 years, 1 month ago

“I’m always excited,” Randle said. “Playing with the Twins is fun, Brannen Greene, Isaac [Hamilton]. I haven’t played with Conner Frankamp yet, but I’m looking forward to that.”

AverageCitizen 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, Moonwalk, Julius did say something about our two commits:

(Hint: Quotes means those are his exact words.) Sorry, couldn't resist.

All these kids know each other through AAU and summer tournaments and camps. I seriously doubt where their friends go to school is a deciding factor in their college choice.

My other comment is that Zasblog articles have always favored east coast schools. It says on that site that "Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops....He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY (New York TV) "and he lives in Manhattan. Adam never has been particularly interested (or knowledgable) about KU. He does, however, love Kentucky.

They wrote or quoted Julius SIX TIMES in that article saying he has no objection to playing with the Harrison twins or Wiggins. Repeating that same statement over and over tends to make people think he is emphasizing that thought. The truth is that it probably is the reporter asking the same question in different ways over and over again or Adam Zagoria trying to stretch out a story.

Most recruits admit after they commit that they knew all along where they are going to school. Until they announce, they will, and should, say the PC statements/ After all, how would it sound if Julius said "yeah, I don't like the Harrison twins at all, they are selfish"? NO recruit are going to make themselves look bad so what else are they going to say? My guess is that he stays close to home (Big 12 country).

soapisurfriend 2 years, 1 month ago

Good stuff AC. My point exactly. He is not going to admit that he doesn't want to play with those guys, but it's widely speculated.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Julius Randle is like a really big Musky. He can eat anything in the lake, so he keeps swimming and swimming. But the secret of every good Musky fisherman is to never quit trolling with the best bait. Sooner or later, that big Musky reaches the right level of hunger and goes for the best bait that's in the water.

Keep trolling Bill. You've got the best bait.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry about the split infinitive there. :-)

"But the secret of every good Musky fisherman is never to quit trolling..."

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

Ah, yes. Thank you. I was going to say something, but then I remembered that I don't know WTF a split infinitive is, so I didn't.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe reverse psychology is at work here...it seems like recently, a lot of prospects thought KU was fantastic then they promptly choose another school.

Maybe a lukewarm feeling now will translate into a red hot feeling later...dunno, just sayin'.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 1 month ago

I do think a NC school will land Randle before KU. But I guarantee he does not pick UK if the twins and/or Wiggins goes there (assuming the Canadian reclassifies). This being said, I am with you about Randle not being the top of my wish list either. If only the staff cared who was on my wish list.

flyingfinn 2 years, 1 month ago

How many freakin guards do we need????????

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Self is a former 2 guard.

Guards are an infinite do-loop for him.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 1 month ago

I dunno... There are only 5 player slots and usually 2 of the 5 go to guards.

Unless you're Mizzou.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone think we would have a better chance of landing him if he went by "Hawk" Barber?

I actually think this is the guy self wants and if he wants him, I think he'll land him.

Have Angel Morris give Pam a call, I think they would hit it off!!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Jesus H. Christ, I find myself agreeing with a functional moron. :-)

bville_hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, distinguish, please, for the rest of us the difference between a functional and a dysfunctional moron. 100 words or less, please.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Not sure how others use it, and with the caveat that it is politically incorrect, and long out of use in a clinical capacity, it means an adult with the intelligence of an 8-12 year old without any disease, syndrome, injury, etc., impairing function and so triggering a moron's level of intelligence, i.e., they come by it through the luck of the draw on the IQ distribution that a human brain is capable of.

For what its worth, I only use it jokingly.

jhawkrulz and I disagree on many things. I find his/her reasoning flawed most of the time. And his/her preference for unprovoked crackbacks unnecessary and worth satirizing with counter crackbacks.

But I do not think jayhawkrulz is really a functional moron, or even a general moron.

Just someone fun to counter poke.

Capice?

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

That was a cheap shot. I take it back. :-)

I will wait for your next gaffe. :-)

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Did we dodge a bullet in Turner, or did Turner make a huge mistake going to AZ that led to his problems?

I think we dodged a bullet, given how plentiful the weed appeared to be around KU hoops ...

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! ESPN.com on their NCAA BB page, mid center under "College Blog Network" released an article about Naismith's original BB rules. Either I somehow missed it, or the LJW has been lax in their coverage, but the article states that it was announced last week (by KU officials) that a building is to be erected at the North East corner of Allen Field House to house the rules. It will be somewhat like a student union, where people could have meetings, eat lunch, Etc.

Sounds like they have the right idea. Make the rules available for everyone to see who visit the campus.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Huh? This is strange. I can transfer to the story using your reference above. But that's the only way, or place, I can find that partiucular story on KUSports' board. Is it under a different area of KUSports? It's not listed on the page where the above is found spotlighting Barber's planned visit.

I feel the fool in bringing it to everyone's attention, when it's already day old news. Normally, I come to this board 3 or 4 times a day, and read every KU BB story. I wonder now if there are other stories on which I may have missed out in the past.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear LJW,

Jermaine Lawrence update please!