Friday, August 17, 2012

Sizing him up: D-lineman Agostinho adds bulk with offseason strength plan

Kansas defensive lineman Keba Agostinho stretches during warm-up exercises at the Fan Appreciation Day open practice Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at Memorial Stadium.

Of all the body transformations by Kansas University football players this offseason, one player’s journey has been the most talked about.

Whether it’s head coach Charlie Weis marveling about the player in the photo book strength coach Scott Holsopple made for him — images of every KU player before, during and after offseason conditioning are in it — or Holsopple himself talking about how it all happened, defensive lineman Keba Agostinho appears to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of KU’s new strength program.

“He’s one of those guys where you look at the picture and say, ‘Who is that?’” Weis said of the junior from Katy, Texas.

From the time he was a senior in high school to the end of last season, Agostinho gained three pounds. From the time Holsopple got ahold of him in January to today, Agostinho gained 30. But it was not just hours in the gym and thousands of biceps curls that helped Agostinho bulk up from 252 pounds to 283. It also took a complete overhaul of his mindset, particularly with the way he ate.

“You can’t just eat to eat,” Holsopple said. “You have to eat with a sense of purpose and know what you’re putting on your plate. So you have to have some type of — buzzword — discipline. But, also, when you’re working to extreme fatigue, your body wants to go into, as I call it, ‘Night night.’ You want to rest, you want to lay down, you want to sleep. Those are the types of situations that make it kind of hard.”

That certainly was the case for Agostinho, who recalls setting his alarm on the weekends for much earlier than he would like just to make sure he got up to eat. After wolfing down a high-protein breakfast, Agostinho almost always went back to sleep. And always with a full stomach. After all, the early-morning meal came just a few hours after a late-night snack designed to pack on the pounds, as well.

“You gotta eat something with a lot of protein,” Agostinho said. “Before I went to sleep, I always ate two bagels with a lot of peanut butter on ’em and chocolate milk.”

Holsopple said KU’s nutritionists created the meal plans, but he was there, eating with them nearly every day, to keep them accountable.

“I’m kind of the enforcer of it,” Holsopple said. “Because I’m there all the time.”

While Holsopple deflects the credit for the transformations back onto the players — “It’s nothing I did,” he said. “Each individual buys into what he has to do to become a better football player and to help the team.” — Agostinho said he could never have done it alone.

“We set up a whole plan of how I was gonna gain weight and what I had to do everyday,” he said. “It was hard because it’s something you have to be disciplined to do, but it paid off in the end so I’m really glad. I even surprised myself. I knew I was gonna gain weight, but I didn’t know I was gonna gain 30 pounds.”

Agostinho said Holsopple’s plan of attack helped make the end goal realistic.

“We took it day by day and weighed in every day,” he said. “By the end of the week, I saw I had gained five pounds. It was weekly goals. It wasn’t something that I just planned to gain all this weight so fast, it was something that I had to take day by day.”

The extra meals and added weight have allowed Agostinho to move to back to the position where he flourished during his final two seasons at James E. Taylor High — defensive tackle.

During his first two years at KU, Agostinho was stuck at defensive end.

“I was 250 pounds,” he said. “I had no choice but to be outside.”

But that did not keep KU’s coaches from preparing him for a return to tackle.

“I’ve always told Keba I thought his best position would be inside,” defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt said. “But his size was more suited for an outside player. Now that he was able to put on some weight, Coach Weis and I thought that would be the best place for him because we were trying to get more athletic and more active inside.”

Asked when they first thought about making the move, Wyatt answered quickly.

“When Keba got up to 283 pounds,” he said with a laugh. “So far, he’s looked good.”

Because he has experience at both positions — Agostinho was a unanimous all-district selection as a D-lineman in high school and has played defensive end in all 24 games of his KU career — the KU junior said he was comfortable at either one, but added that he was happy to move back inside.

“Coach Wyatt’s been to Nebraska, TCU, Alabama,” Agostinho said. “So if he tells you something like that, you gotta believe it because he’s seen ’em all.”

On KU’s first depth chart of the fall, Weis listed Agostinho as a starter at defensive tackle. The Jayhawks have brought in several newcomers to bolster the D-line, but one of the few veterans they have said he was not discouraged by the added competition.

“That’s something every team needs,” Agostinho said. “Whether I end up starting or not, if I know I was competing with a guy who out-worked me then I’ll at least be happy that the right guy is in there and he deserves to be in there.”

Comments

OKHawkFan 1 year, 8 months ago

Ugh!! Holsopple has no clue about nutrition!! Now I'm an internet nutritionist expert. First off chocolate milk and bagels?!?!? Seriously all you need is coco rice crispies. You get your carbs and at the end the chocolate milk straight from the bowl...ummm I love choco crispies milk.. Next replace the peanut butter with some Jack Links Beef Jerky!! Dislaimer: I work as a consultant for Kelloggs and Jack Links...

fearthephog512 1 year, 8 months ago

Matt — or anyone else that might know — do you know when Weis will announce our redshirts for the year? I'm wondering if Parmalee will get one for more time to bulk up ...

Pbbut 1 year, 8 months ago

I trust the coaches know what they're doing and hope it translates to performance on the field. One play that sticks in my mind from last year is against OU. Keba is pushed 12-15 yards downfield, the OU runner is on the ground, and Keba's still not off the block. Can't happen.

phog1004 1 year, 8 months ago

not sure why everyone is complaining about the Bagel's (which was ok'd nutritionists and by Holsopple, who knows more than everyone on this board about strength and conditioning, and was put together). Bagels are a very dense source of carbohydrates. This is important for energy, while the PB helps the process of building muscle. If Keba was eating broiled chicken breasts and broccoli every night, sure he would repair the micro tears in his muscles, and replenish the amino acids to strengthen the muscle fibers and ultimately become bigger and stronger……but he wouldn’t be able to drag himself to the gym the next day. The lack of carbs would have him dragging, as the bagel is acting in the same capacity as a big pasta meal is for the bicyclers who eat 6000 calories a night during the tour de france. So when you are gaining weight, carbs aren’t a bad thing, and certainly don’t mean you are going to gain fat (so long as you continue to work out). Conversely, if you are looking to cut weight while working out, you can do so by cutting out the carbs, which in turn makes your own body turn on its own fat storage as an energy source (which is how you burn fat and lose weight). So ultimately, my long winded way of saying….the bagels aren’t bad, and he didn’t gain a bunch of fat. 

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

Bagels and peanut butter before bed? That sounds like heart burn city to me. I can't eat anything before I lay down.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

All you crazy health nuts make me lol. I think I'm gonna defer to Holsopple's obvious advantage in experience with this specific discipline. The entire article is based on the fact that Keba is the poster child for Holsopple's methods. They work! Keba was able to accomplish exactly what coach set him up for.

How the heck can anybody sit here and argue over it. There's photographic evidence for pete's sake!

Personally I think it's pretty amazing, and I hope all that dedication pays off for #96 in the form of sacks and TFLs.

jc1306 1 year, 8 months ago

All you nutrition experts need to check your facts. Bagels are surprising high in protein at around 11 grams per serving. Add in peanut butter and milk which are both high in protein you have a terrific combo for gaining muscle mass.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe the headline should read. " D-Linemean...adds bulk and shortens life."

The good news is that at 6'-2", he has a fairly large body frame to distribute the weight. I am 6'-4" and weigh in at about 290 and though I certainly need to keep losing weight, the bulk seems to distribute OK.....of course I'm about 40 years older too, so OK is relative!! :)

Michael Luby 1 year, 8 months ago

I really dont follow football at all, much less college ball but I really really hope KU makes some noise in football this year. I want them to prove all the negative hype people wrong. Are they good enough to be a top 25 team this year?

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 8 months ago

"thousands of bicep curls" . . . that will definitely put on the weight. . . ಠ_ಠ

bville_hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Geeez, half the posters so far are f**ing experts in sports nutrition who apparently know more about sports nutrition than Holsopple and the professional nutritionists and dietitians that work for the athletic department.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

Perhaps someone should explain the difference to the players and staff between protein and carbs. If that's what he ate to get bigger, it's almost all carbs, which the body stores as fat.

swunruhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Anyone know if Ty McKinney has arrived?

cozzhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Eating bagels before bed? I'm going to say probably half the weight he gained is fat and the rest muscle. Imagine if these guys were on diets that optimized their health instead of bagels and peanut butter.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

Share some of the bedtime bagels and peanut butter with Jeff Withey.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

They should make a calendar like the "Girls of KU", and sell them.

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Wish we could see some of the before and after pix.