Friday, August 17, 2012

Self: Don’t count on Olympics call

Kansas fan Jennifer Coughenour snaps a quick photo with KU men's basketball coach Bill Self on Friday before the KickOff at Coringth Square in Prairie Village for the KU football season.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self was asked Friday if he’d be interested in being the coach for the 2016 United States Olympic men’s basketball team.

“Yeah. They’re not going to call, though,” Self said. “But I think there’s a guy named Popovich (Gregg, San Antonio Spurs coach) and a guy named Rivers (Doc, Boston Celtics coach) and some guys like that that probably have a better relationship with Dream Team-type players than what I do.”

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski led the U.S. men’s basketball team to gold during the last two Summer Olympics, but he has decided not to return in 2016.

“It’s pretty flattering,” Self said of his name being mentioned, “but I really don’t anticipate getting a phone call.”

McLemore update: Self said that he didn’t believe freshman guard Ben McLemore would need surgery for his hip flexor injury.

“No, no, no. We don’t think that at all,” Self said.

McLemore was injured during KU’s practice on Aug. 4.

“He’s hurt. He couldn’t play now,” Self said. “We’ll get him off until school starts.”

European highlight: Self was asked Friday if he brought anything back with him from KU’s weeklong exhibition trip to Europe.

“I brought back knowledge. I couldn’t afford to bring anything else back with me,” Self said with a smile. “But I brought back knowledge and a couple pairs of shoes. But it was a good trip. A lot of churches, a lot of castles, a lot of palaces, a lot of shopping, a lot of mountains.”

Self later said the coolest part of the trip for him was visiting Switzerland.

“I didn’t know there could be that much natural beauty in one place without it being somewhat manufactured,” Self said. “That was incredible to me.

“ ... If I went back again, I think I could just take the gondola up to the top of the mountain, go on a boat ride and be very content.”

Self on team: Self ended his five-minute speech to the KU fans at Friday’s rally by talking about the players on this year’s team.

“We’ve got a long ways to go, but I am excited about it,” Self said. “They’re talented, they’re fun, they’re athletic, and I really believe this: If we all stick together and everybody’s on the same page, we’re going to shock a lot of people come March.”

Keating a candidate for Fordham A.D.: KU special assistant to the athletic director Larry Keating is one of eight candidates for the Fordham athletic director position, the New York Post is reporting.

Keating has previous ties to Fordham’s league — the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference — as he served as assistant commissioner for basketball and football operations from 2001-03.

Comments

johnsont1 1 year, 8 months ago

HCBS: until you go back to Europe, check out Vail, Colorado: "little Switzerland in the Rockies"

Michael Auchard 1 year, 8 months ago

Having been a couple places around the planet, if Bill likes Europe he needs to see Costa Rica. By far the best place I've been to as far as natural beauty. Cloud forests, jungles, volcanoes, two distinct types of coast. More biodiversity there than you can shake stick at. Such a cool destination, and not "ruined" too much yet.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Really, guys? A global warming debate? SWEET BRO. Self's point is that most locations have too many buildings and highways to really appreciate the natural (non-manufactured) beauty. He wasn't saying that he generally doesn't appreciate nature or that only manufactured things are beautiful. Whichever one of you drew that conclusion has your head way too far up your own... In fact, since he went out of his way to mention how beautiful it was, it appears that he was saying the exact opposite of that. Derpy derp.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Ya, some people on this site think they want to take a (+)positive comment by Bill Self and still find a way to "bag" on him? Is this a "fan" site? And how does all this environmental discussion actually contribute to us talking about k.u. b.a.s.k.e.t.b.a.l.l.? (I just dont see the connection). All I saw in this story was Self stoked about his team+depth getting on the same page by March. He "came away" from Europe with some fine shoes, some scenery, and the taste of 2 back-to-back losses in his mouth (which he chose not to bring up again, but you can bet the team will get to hear about it for the next 3mos). Competitor-him-Self-(Bill) absolutely hates to lose...

BoscheJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I've travelled to many different countries around the world in all the continents except Australia. I've seen many men made and God's made wonders. I find natural beauty wherever I go, and believe me I had the same reaction as Bill when I visited Swtzerland. Give him a break!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Self can afford to let the game come to him. He will be an assistant first in the next Olies, maybe two, then he may get the call.

His future in the L is more interesting spec.

Self would quickly hire LB and Manning as his assistants. Cred with the pros would be instantaneous. THEN Self would have to learn not to ride the guys so much and emphasize the strategy of 70 point take what they give adapted to 90-100 point take what they give us. It would be the same as Phil and Tex getting first the Bulls and then the Lakers to focus on the strategic advantages of the triangle. Playing it any way they want in the pros, I.e., forcing the opponent to choose the tempo and beating them at their own game, would completely confuse the hide bound NBA think for at least two seasons, regardless of what sets Self decided to actually use.

Self's biggest adjustment, though, would be on defense, where it would take him awhile to deal with all the defensive scheming that goes on during the play offs. The NBA plays way more sophisticated defenses tha many recognize.

But we've got Bill for awhile, and no one else does, and that's what counts.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't know how many missed Jesse's Q and A on Aug. 15 after the Europe trip. I just saw it yesterday. The link is not on the Men's Basketball page, but was on the main sports page.

Excellent stuff if you want global war ... er, KU basketball info during a rather warm August.

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 8 months ago

Self as Olympic coach would be awesome beyond words!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Makes me long for a Milton Doyle thread ....

Robin Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

jeez, this comment thread is awful.

way to hijack things, ideologues.

I'd love to see Self on Pop and Rivers' staff for 2016.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it ugly of me to say that Greenland can't melt fast enough, because it will hopefully destroy (Not the nature-y part or the nice people, especially any Jayhawks) New England?

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Shredks-Fair enough. At least we agree on KU!!

shredks 1 year, 8 months ago

The earth has always warmed and cooled due to changes in the sun's radiaiton, earth's reflectivity and greenhouse gasses. But, the first two factors have actually been contributing to cooling for quite some time. Yet, the earth is getting hotter at an alarming (unprecidented?) pace. The evidence points to spiking levels of greenhouse gasses from human activity as the cause.

I'd love for that conclusion to be wrong. But, there's no such thing as perfect knowledge, and inaction and ignoring our best understanding of the evidence while continuing to urgently investigate seems to me to be irresponsible.

Name calling is also counterproductive.

Rock Chalk!

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

If you ever want to see environmental whackos like shredks and Boulderhawk start stuttering and foam at the mouth......just ask them to explain why the earth has warmed and cooled thousands of times in its history.......way before evil capitalism and industrialization. They can't....and it's hilarious to see their rage!

shredks...I have no idea why you decided to bring this %^$# on this board.....especially your trashing Coach Self. You have no idea what he meant by his comments.Run along now,comrade....go save the planet.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Poor Bill. Says one comment with no political intent, and it turns into a bad day on the blogs for those of us who love to talk KU basketball and KU sports. Hey, he mentioned churches and cathedrals, so why don't you get politics AND religion out of your systems while you are at it. Then maybe we can get back to what brings most of us here and avoid what many of us art trying to escape from...even if only for a few moments. Please, lay down your political weapons and let's talk basketball.

William Blake 1 year, 8 months ago

I dislike it when fans have to come on here and get political. There must be 1000s of political sites out there built to vent political thoughts. This site is about KU basketball and creates the opportunity for all political flavors to find commonality and camaraderie with each other.

I know there is an election coming up and politics are weighing heavy on peoples' minds (and should be)... but come on, folks... forget being red or blue while here and adopt both crimson/blue as Jayhawk fans.

Last... remember our country is represented by the bald eagle. And the majestic flight of our bird can not be accomplished without both a left wing and a right wing.

buffhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

One quick correction is that fordham is in the atlantic 10, no the metro atlantic athletic conference.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Not sure what politics have to do with things here, but unlike most here I welcome exercise of political speech. Even that roasting my point of view.

greg robinson 1 year, 8 months ago

Reading way too much into his comment shredks. Maybe he just meant it was so beautiful it didn't seem real. I've felt the same way myself while be holding natures wonders. Thanks for the walk down memory lane with the Tan Man reference leonard. KU 78 grad.

leonard 1 year, 8 months ago

KU is rife with legacies...and it's good to see a couple of the Tan Man's progeny psychoanalyzing Coach Self's appreciation of nature.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Shred, I could add Cascade Head on the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, and the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska to places that Bill Self could appreciate if he gets a chance...
But I agree that is an odd comment for someone who has done as much traveling as HCBS. Does he end up just seeing airports and the shortest distance to recruiting prospects ALL the time?? How can you see so much of the country/world and not be in awe of it's natural beauty?
Oh well, he's got work to do.
Rock Chalk, Etc.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

"...we’re going to shock a lot of people come March.” --Bill Self

Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy!

Self thinks he's got the pieces.

Watch out, Cal!!!!!

kusayzone 1 year, 8 months ago

HCBS is the mastermind of getting the most out of his players....He let them all taste the playing water, so the players could see the difference between what is between their ears and what they put on the court. Don't worry fans, the best is yet to come.....

Mr_C 1 year, 8 months ago

No coach in the country I'd rather have crafting this talented group... can't wait to watch this season unfold, and very excited for this group's prospects come March.