Thursday, August 16, 2012

Keegan

Weis hiring seen as a bit risky by analyst

In another week or two, national pundits will begin to weigh in with opinions on Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger’s decision to turn the football program over to the biggest name ever to coach the sport here.

Why wait? Why not hit up the only former NFL player ever to win an Oscar for an opinion now? Ed Cunningham, a center in the NFL for five seasons, now is an analyst in the booth for ABC on Saturdays, alongside Mike Patrick, and that’s not all he is.

Cunningham was one of the producers for “Undefeated,” a film that followed a high school football team in Memphis and won an Oscar for best documentary. Cunningham knows boring doesn’t cut it, so when he’s asked for an opinion, he lets it all hang out and doesn’t hide behind safe words.

Asked to sum up the hiring of Charlie Weis in one word, Cunningham chose — risky.

Why?

“I’ve covered Charlie a lot and I do think Charlie has a great offensive mind,” Cunningham said. “I have not seen him as a top-tier head coach yet at the college level. But I do understand the allure and I do understand there is value in name recognition.”

Weis went 35-27 from 2005 through 2009 at Notre Dame.

“I think Charlie showed some flaws when he was at Notre Dame,” Cunningham said. “He was great on offense. His quarterbacks played well and I don’t think he gets enough credit for what he got out of some of those players, but the truth is, his defense was a train wreck most of the time.”

The Weis hiring has been a huge hit with Kansas alumni, clearly has put a bounce in the step of the players and has the fan base more jacked for the start of the football season than is usually the case. Cunningham isn’t on the bandwagon.

“I look at Kansas, I’m not convinced,” he said. “We’ll see if he makes adjustments from his time at Notre Dame. For a conference that almost died, that’s a pretty strong conference. He’s got a huge challenge in front of him.”

Weis already made an adjustment from his Notre Dame days by hiring a big NFL name to run his defense in Dave Campo. He essentially is the head coach of the defense, given more authority than most defensive coordinators. It was a huge catch for Kansas.

Do you like that hire?

“I do and I don’t,” Cunningham said. “I look at Dave Campo and he’s a good defensive coach. But the college game is such that there are so many flavors on offense and so many different things you’re going to see. In the NFL, it takes about five hours to figure out an offense. Whatever the team, there are four or five wrinkles, but everybody runs the same plays, especially in the run game. In college, week-to-week, it’s pretty tough to figure some of this stuff out.”

Risky hire? Sure. A risk worth taking? Absolutely.

Comments

Doug Cramer 2 years, 4 months ago

If Weis and Campo can consistently start bringing in 4 star talent, we will be become a top 10 team. The problem is, we're not seeing that quality of talent come in as freshman recruits just yet.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

If we win, they will come. But that's obviously a big if. Our QB situation appears to be very strong for at least the next 3 years, so that's a move in the right direction.

squawkhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

That won't happen, never has and never will. The only reason he got Crist and Heaps is because he recruited them out of HS for ND. Those days and those kids are now gone. He is starting from scratch and much of his future recruiting will be based on what they are able to do on the field. Look at the success KSU has had over the years and yet they still struggle in the recruiting game, even with the wizard who is probably more well known to kids than Weis. If Weis doesn't produce in the next couple of years I serious doubt that this program takes more than a step or two forward and I doubt that Weis finishes out his contract. Just the facts.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually, very little fact and lots of opinion. A lot of what happens in recruiting will hinge on how the season rolls this year. The ability (or lack thereof) to bring top players to the lil' apple on the other hand has a lot less to do with Snyder being a great coach, and a lot more to do with trying to lure them to an outpost cow town. Just the facts.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 4 months ago

That's opinion not fact. you have no idea how the recruiting gonna go

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

Please tell us something we can't figure out for ourselves. Honestly these critics bring nothing to the table that isn't already obvious. Let's face it. Everyone knows his past, no one knows his future. We can't predict wins and losses. We know it's going to be better than the past two years, mostly because it can't get much worse. And lastly, we hope for the best! Rock Chalk!!

Kevin Long 2 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself shelleysue! Well said!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

His analysis is completely fair. Weis did have an enormous amount of talent at his disposal at Notre Dame and did not get it done. A good first couple years, but the program didn't develop. Defense, coaching chemistry, and player development were the problems.

That all being said, Weis seems to be very aware of his weaknesses at Notre Dame. The hiring of Campo (a big time NFL name) shows that a competent DC will run the defense and not Weis. The hiring of Holsopple shows that Weis means business with strength and conditioning which is a major part of player development. Coaching chemistry seems good but we will have to wait and see.

The fact that this move is deemed risky is a positive thing. Zenger could have gone out and hired a guy like Gus Malzhan who showed promise and would have been cheap, but he decided to "go big or go home" and buyout Gill's contract and hire Weis, which was obviously not cheap.

jaymike2 2 years, 4 months ago

Mangino was going to get one, but it required too much bronze.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Also... Our hope in Weis is not based off of his name alone. Since he has been here he has put together a big name staff including a former NFL Head Coach as our DC. He has brought in 2 big time QBs and brought in talented guys to shore up the DLine which was our weakest position. It's only the off season, but Weis has proven his worth to this point.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 4 months ago

And what we're reading about the practices and the coaching attitudes and energy indicates things are going in the right direction. This sounds a lot like last basketball season - "This is Bill Self's least talented team" and they're going to bust. Although I do not expect miracles, I do expect to be smiling at the progress in our football team by the end of this coming season.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not even close to being convinced that the d-line is shored up.

Thomas Young 2 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations!

I see Weis as having taken a serious look at the DL problem, and accomplished more than I would have thought possible by any coach coming in.

Might not work, but no one saw the guys coming in that we have. It won't be problem solved until we see it in action, of course. But it's not like he came in with the promise to just coach up who we had.

And overall, that's the upside of the entire process so far. I have no idea how all of these transfers will impact the team. But it was a 2-10 team that was not as good as its record suggests last year.

I'm excited as all get out to see how this team performs, because Weis came in and made smart changes. I want to see how they pan out, but holy heck am I glad we didn't get a coach in that would hope to coach up the guys we had and then hope we get better in three of four years.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Lastly... Zenger is the man. A+ job cleaning up the ticket scandal, fixing the budget, and giving life to the football program.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Shouldn't leave out helping to keep the Big 12 together!

Steve Reigle 2 years, 4 months ago

He's another we need to be sure we keep at KU. Include Scott Holsopple and Andrea Hudy on that list, too.

LSHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Watch and see, Weis and this staff are going to surprise a lot of people in the Big 12 and the country this year, he was a good hire and will make KU football respectable again.

Stan Unruh 2 years, 4 months ago

Never have liked Cunningham's work on TV. Not sure why his opinion matters.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

REALLY???

I've always kind of liked Cunningham on TV. A little bit of a doofus, but basically a really nice guy.

Wait - that was Richie Cunninham...........

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 4 months ago

The time he and Potsie take the Murphy twins to the Sock-Hop, oh wail, wrong tread, sorry.

HawkTronic 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree. He is a former U of Washington Huskie and combats "East Coast Bias" with a big sack of "West Coast Bias".

master16 2 years, 4 months ago

I personally think KU is on the rise with Weis as our head coach, but until I see what happens after this upcoming season I'll still remain a little skeptical. However, as stated before our Quarterback situation looks pretty solid for a few years, which is the most important position on the team. Thankfully, HCCW is the top guy for developing QBs.

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

The first thing Weis needs to accomplish is just to get the Jayhawk program out of a deep ditch and give it some fundamental shape that suggests there is a future.

Greatness may follow. But first you have to get out of the ditch.

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

Hasn't this seemed like a particularly long and slow summer, at least when it comes to sports? If it werent for the Olympics! I think I would go crazy. The time is filled with speculation and projection and you can only do so much of that until it becomes redundant.

Fortunately, the games start in a little over two weeks and we can start to comment on what we see on the field.

Mike Skiles 2 years, 4 months ago

Yada yada yada..... Who cares? The program has excitement again, is relevant (certainly to we alumni), and Kansas football again has a 'pulse'. Weis has demonstrated in his early months the traits of true 'leadership', and what more could we as Kansas fans hope for, really? Given the disaster of prior year(s), we're on a solid footing now. Will we have a winning season this year - of course not, but it will be compelling and interesting to watch, which is a heck of a difference to recent history! Go Jayhawks!

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 4 months ago

+!

With how hard we fell over the last 4-5 years this is a GREAT hire. I am excited for football...not just in my normal 2010 and 2011 way either, I mean actually excited. I really feel like we could have been a 4-5 win team last year with a different DC and some less vanillia play calling.

What is there to be excited about: Pressure on the QB No more 8-12 yard cushions More depth/new faces at D-Line and LB An NFL caliber QB with Weis calling the shots A strength and conditioning coach who is pushing our guys New coaches all around, and kept a couple who are worth a darn

We will compete and make teams earn wins, and its sports, crazy things happen. I love when we are suppose to be an easy win...it fires our team up and allows us to play all out. Rock Chalk

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis has been through a lot since Day 1 at Notre Dame, and while I have not had the privelege to meet Coach, I feel that KU will be the fortunate beneficiary of what he has learned about himself as a coach and more important as a person.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis has been through a lot since Day 1 at Notre Dame, and while I have not had the privilege to meet Coach, I feel that KU will be the fortunate beneficiary of what he has learned about himself as a coach and more important as a person.

Jim Stauffer 2 years, 4 months ago

I think the thing Cunningham has overlooked in this evaluation is the mind set of both Zenger and Weis in this effort to turn this program around.

From interviews, Weis has no vision of turning KU into ND. He believes without a doubt he can turn it into a consistent winner playing in bowl games every year.

Once that is accomplished, he will survey the situation and decide how high the birds can fly.

Don't lose sight of one thing. Even when Charlie is gone, if he leaves in a few years, we may well retain his son and never miss a beat on the offensive side of things.

Man! I can't wait!

KU79 2 years, 4 months ago

Analysis from a guy like Cunningham is basically useless. All he knows is what's been written in the national press, and it's basically a Notre Dame rehash. Charlie's a smart guy and has, and has said, he's learned from his mistakes at ND. The biggest being defense and strength and conditioning. But I love having this national perception. It gives us a chip and let's get out there and surprise people and prove them wrong. I have no doubt that we will.

seagull 2 years, 4 months ago

Ridiculous column. Risky is all relative. What hire at KU would not have been risky?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

They could have hired me. I'd work for ......oh, let's say half of what the last couple coaches have made (hehe) and the big bonus is - KU has NEVER lost a nuleafjayhawk-coached game yet - football OR basketball. From my recliner I am a coaching genius.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

wow am i having a crappy day - 5 hours later i just noticed i misspelled my own user name in that post !!!!

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Exactly! It's a stupid canned answer.

Jim Williamson 2 years, 4 months ago

Again, another national media honk assumes that Charlie Weis lives in a vacuum, is incapable of learning from past mistakes and is going to do exactly what he did at Notre Dame.

Hiring Weis was risky. Listening to this guy's schlock and taking it seriously is just plain dopey.

JayDocMD 2 years, 4 months ago

...and writing a column about it is lazy.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh, I don't know. It gave us something interesting to discuss, and that's saying a lot for this time of year.

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe how defensive people get when there is critcism. Actually, I guess I can since I have been reading comments for years!.

From a national perspective, KU football is not relevant and it is clear that the perception of Charlie Weis is more negative than positive nationally. Let's see how they perform on the field. I am optimistic they will surprise a few people but I really don't know. On paper, they shouldn't win one conference game.

What's funny is when someone nationally says something positive about the basketball program, that person is lauded as being insightful. When a national spokesperson says something negative, the entire analysis is torn apart and deemed irrelevant or comments like "who cares what these guys think" come up.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Not exactly what happened when Turner Gill was hired. Ask ahperse and his clan if they were defensive when media criticized TG.

What we are seeing here though isn't fans being defensive. For the most part the fans are tired of hearing the same story of Charlie's experience at ND, without mentioning the things Weis has publicly stated concerning what he's learned and what he plans to do with that knowledge.

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

I have said many times. I was skeptical about the hire, but I like everything he has done and the approach he has taken so far. We need to see how this translates on the field.

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 4 months ago

Head Coach who has won Championships: Check Defensive Coach who has won a Championship: Check Strength & Conditioning Coach who has developed a Championship team: Check Talented Quarterback: Check Fantastic training facilities: Check Time needed to turn around a 2-10 program: Not Yet

Geez, Cunningham, give Weis a little time to install his system.

He has won multiple Super Bowls in the toughest football league in the world (NOT the SEC, Tiger fans),

Went 35-27 and coached in 2 BCS bowl games at a school that has tough academic standards to recruit to (and has not been relevant for over 20 years, with multiple coaching changes), and

Has placed Kansas (yes, Kansas) on the College Football (Yes, Football) map without yet coaching a game.

The only thing risky about this hire is that he may end up being hard to keep in Lawrence. I will gladly take THAT risk!!

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

On who's map do you find KU football? Even if they shock the world and win 3 conference games and finish seventh in the Big 12, they still wouldn't be on the college football map. If you don't live in the area, ask some college football fan about KU football and see if they are even aware who the coach is or whether they confuse KU with K-State.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

People follow Charlie Weis. Wherever he goes is on the map.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 4 months ago

If KU gets to six wins and makes a bowl, Weis will win national coach of the year (or at least should). That will require at least three conference wins, and would re-insert KU into the national conversation.

Six wins for KU this year would be an amazing accomplishment, but it is also one that is doable with the right breaks.

59grad 2 years, 4 months ago

59grad

I live in South Carolina--definitely a football hotbed, and they have had articles about Kansas and Weis. Hasn't happened since 2007.

vd 2 years, 4 months ago

Head coach who has won championships? Who? Gill won a championship as a head coach. Is that who you are talking about? CW? He won league championships at ND, right?

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 4 months ago

ND won a league championship? That would be amazing since they are Independent.

Even MORE AMAZING than a person with the handle "vd" commenting on risky behavior.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah both coaches Weis and Campo won championships in the NFL. He never said college. He never said anything about league. And yes it is funny that you thought that about ND since they aren't in a league for football only their other sports. They remain independent in FB.

DocPossum 2 years, 4 months ago

Charlie (Zenger too) is striving for excellence in himself and for the KU football program. Striving for excellence is not risky but it is a journey. Won't happen over night. Cunningham has not been to a practice and his comments are old news. This is lazy reporting as noted in the above post. Let's put Cunningham and Grunhard, one on one, in an Oklahoma drill and let Cunningham learn the true meaning of risk! (Sham)rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Jock Navels 2 years, 4 months ago

I would say the biggest name ever to coach football at KU is Fielding Yost. When Weiss has 4 national championships on his resume, then maybe he will be the biggest name ever.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

Unfortunately he didn't have any of them at KU, and he did it all so long ago that no one remembers his name at all.

texashawk10 2 years, 4 months ago

Phog Allen would have be in the running too for biggest name to coach KU football considering he's a name even most casual sports fans know (even if it's not for his football coaching days).

joeblowohoh 2 years, 4 months ago

Ed also said nothing of substance. He rarely says anything of substance. But in his defense, he said nothing very well and I'm sure in an authoritative voice.

I mean, is there any way anything he said can be wrong?

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 4 months ago

We have to remember there wasn't alot of 'Unrisky' guys knocking on the Kansas AD's door. We could have hired Gus Malzahn instead of him going to Arkansas State or taken Dave Doeren away from Northern Illnois Univ. Here was the list that was being discussed along with Malzahn and Doeren: Dave Christensen, Troy Calhoun, Mark Stoops, Sonny Dykes, Dirk Koetter, June Jones, Houston Nutt, Gary Barnett, Phil Fulmer and Barry Switzer .

Zenger got his man. After HCTG, Kansas was a 'risky' place to coach. Couldn't be happy with the choice.

Rivethead 2 years, 4 months ago

Those that can do.....those that can't analyze.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

Was that Bubba Cunningham who now is at UNC wishing he had taken the KU job?

Anyways, whoever it is, doesn't understand how good of a hire our DC is. And the DC hire should show that HCCW is headed in the right direction.

Dave Campo has two National Championships in DI Football (one of which was as the DC). And I believe 2 Superbowl rings from a defensive coordinator position.

If HCCW and DCDC get along, this will reap benefits. Now if Cunningham thinks we are expecting to have the tradition of ND or OU, I would be disappointed as well, but we want bowl games and build from there.

kureader 2 years, 4 months ago

Cunningham, who has never coached a college or NFL team, was an NFL center turned commentator. Some commentators and sportwriters (including Keegan) like to stir things up by writing or saying negative stuff about teams, players or coaches.

KU's football glass was mostly empty. Putting Weis and Campo into an empty glass is hardly risky. And it's hard to believe that someone can dream up reasons to criticize Campo's coaching abilities. Assuming Weis doesn't have a great defensive coaching mind, what more could he have done than to hire Campo? When has a new coach brought more qualify players into KU's football program in such a short time?

Weis came to a school with a shakey football program. He has brought in several quality coaches and staff, he has recruited a number of fine football players, and he is working his butt off every day to help improve KU's program ... Cunningham's comments weren't relevant enough to find their way into a LJW article.

Let the season begin. Regardless of KU's record this year, it's gonna be a much better year than the last three. I'm looking forward to it, and so are several thousand KU supporters who bought season tickets this year for the first time in awhile.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 4 months ago

All of the "experts" point to his time at ND. That's only fair to an extent. He has already said that he evaluated himself after being fired and asked himself why he did certain things and has learned from his mistakes. We're not getting a first-year head coach here. That would have been risky!

TulsaJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Just summarizing what has already been stated in posts above, and in previous articles: 3 games last year we were ahead or close at half time, and poor coaching/conditioning were the reasons for failure. New (better) strength and conditioning coach/approach. New (better) coaching staff/approach. No more time outs to call a play. Same or better talent level as last year. 4 new 5th year players from top 25 programs. New JC talent.

All of this adds up to surprising teams when we smack them in the mouth on the field, and don’t quit all game.

Leo Hawkins 2 years, 4 months ago

The Weis hire is far from risky. How is taking a brilliant football mind (like Weis) a risk? He cannot possibly worse than the "train wreck" that was Turner Gill! If there was ever a risky hire, it was Gill. Weis/Campo? Not a risk at all.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

"If there was ever a risky hire, it was Gill. Weis/Campo? Not a risk at all."

Amen, burgundyhawk. Amen.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 4 months ago

Predicting KU football mediocrity is about as risky as predicting KU basketball conference championships. I'm predicting a white Christmas in Nome

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

LMAO at 'risky' What a boob. And thanks for telling Campo there are a lot of different defenses. He'll be thrilled to know that.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought is was common knowledge that NFL offenses were watered down so the pros could understand it better. Yeah, he's a boob. Also maybe someone should've have explained that Campo was a college coach for 17 years before coaching in the NFL. Including his stint with national champ Miami.

Bud Stagg 2 years, 4 months ago

One unexpected win this year, two next year and the 3rd year he'll have all kinds of recruits. I bet we knock someone big off this year.

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

If #5 happens, that ain't all babs... er, bad. Jayhawk football would be on firmer ground than it's been on in a while, so not a risk, really. If Charlie has enough success to wanna move on before his contract runs out, I'll be smilin' all the way to the bowl games.

hucking_fawks_rock 2 years, 4 months ago

BABBOY, you're a boob.

1. That's news to the world (yes, that is sarcasm)
  2. 7-6 isn't very well? It's not BCS bowl territory, but it is a bowl... and in the SEC no less.
  3. Pretty well at KC? He took them to the playoffs and won the AFC West as OC. Any NFL team would be happy with that.
  4. Campo coached the college game for 17 years, doof.
  5. Weis has money coming in from all over the place. He doesn't need it. If he leaves, it will be because he gets run out of Lawrence... not because he's successful.

wats211 2 years, 4 months ago

Risky?...are you kidding me?...Turner Gill was risky...Charlie Weis is a home run....Ed Cunninghams' analysis during games is border line..in fact I don't know why he was ever hired as an analyst...I guess he still wears his kneepads......pathetic....sorry...and jayhawks..get your season tickets now..next year they will be sold out

JHAWKSWAG 2 years, 4 months ago

Any coach is an upgrade in comparison to Gill. There is definitely a new buzz around the program since Weis has been here, and even if the team doesn't perform at an elite level at least we have a brand name like Charlie Weis that will keep KU football in the news. KU has never been a football powerhouse so those of you that have dreams that we will suddenly be competing for a national title under Weis need to reevaluate your expectations. I think we will be better this year, and hopefully even competitive in the B12. I'm looking forward to see what Charlie can put out on the field this year, maybe we get lucky and Crist goes straight beast mode for his senior season.

wats211 2 years, 4 months ago

Still scratching my head over the Cunningham comments...and they pay this guy....wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikehawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey, this is the KUsports.com website where people sit at their computers sipping blue Kool Aid believing all of our own crap. Cunningham just gave us a cold, hard opinion and analysis that is pretty right on from his, and most others outside of KU Crimson and Blue (don't tell me what I don't want to hear) believers crowd. We just don't want to hear this stuff because we are so desperate for something good to come out of the regime of The Old Ball Coach. The program can't go anywhere but up. It is so low and so disrespected around the country, two entities in need of each other found each other. This program is perfect for Charlie to have a shot to rehab his image as a head coach, and we need someone who can create some real buzz, get some headlines, sell some tickets, and possibly, just possibly, pull this program out of oblivion. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the AD made about as good as a hire as was possible. Time will tell, and that period of time will be longer than most KU fans want to believe, whether The Old Ball Coach can deliver. As I sit hear sipping on another glass of ice cold, blue Kool Aid, I really believe he can.

KjayhawkprideU 2 years, 4 months ago

We have went 10-26 in the last three years. If HCCW and Campo can get us to 35-27 for 5 years, I look at it this way that's a bowl game every year average. YOU CALL THAT RISKY YOU IDIOT! RCJGKU!!!

KjayhawkprideU 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes I have been drinking a lot of blue koolaid and have been sense my dad took me to my first KU game when I was three over 30 years ago. I love the JAYHAWKS and everything about the college, campus and all. I am excited every year and every game I go to I sit in the stands until the clock runs out win or loss. I have season tickets this year and I just hope that I am not the only one sitting there after half time anymore. UNTIL THE CLOCK RUNS OUT!! RCJGKU!!!

Eric Mitchell 2 years, 4 months ago

Ed who? Do you think anybody really cares what he thinks? I highly doubt it.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 4 months ago

I think Weiss is less risky than an unknown. Success at a lower level is pretty much meaningless. Terry Allen had a good track record until KU and then he bombed.

It seems to me that Weiss has already done some good things. I wasn't all that impressed with his staff except for Campo. We will see, but I like the hire much better than someone like Fedora.

machinegun 2 years, 4 months ago

Nobody should doubt the quality of the KU coaching staff. Throw the ball and put some big numbers on the scoreboard. The rest will take care of itself.

ShockHawk10 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not quite sure about the motivation behind this article. This would have been news worthy months ago when Weis was initially hired. This feels a bit like "raining on our parade". Any intelligent KU fan knows that this was a risky hire, initially. Much has happened since then, and KU football is headed in a positive direction for the first time in years. Why this article now? One line at the end does not erase the negative tone throughout.

Ryan Gerstner 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis being called a risky hire is one of the dumbest things I've read. Weis is the exact opposite of risky. Risky is going out and hiring an unknown like Turner Gill and that one blew up in our face. There's no question Weis is one of the smartest offensive minds in the country and has immediately brought in the best talent at QB that we've ever had with Crist, Heaps, etc. Risky hires don't do that at KU.

The key for Weis to be successful at KU is Campo developing a defense that can get some stops. If Campo can do that, KU and Weis will win and if the defense is good, we'll win a lot. You know the offense is going to be good. The defense is the question mark.