Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ex-KU QB Webb to start for Colorado

— Former Kansas University quarterback Jordan Webb has been named starting QB at the University of Colorado.

Webb, a 6-foot-1, 205-pound junior, who started 19 games at KU the past two seasons, threw for 3,079 yards and 20 touchdowns with 20 interceptions and a 4-15 record.

“Each day, it was becoming more and more evident,” CU coach Jon Embree told the Denver Post, referring to Webb’s emergence as starter. “He just consistently made plays, made good decisions. He’s very accurate with his ball. I wasn’t into playing (mind) games. I was going to let the team know as soon as I made a decision. I felt good about it last night, slept on it and decided to let it go out today.”

Embree told the Post he wasn’t surprised Webb was able to pick up the offense so quickly.

“He’s a smart kid,” Embree said. “He graduated from high school (Union, Mo.) in 3 1/2 years and about the same from college. (The offense) all makes sense to him. It’s a testament to how hard he works.”

Backups Connor Wood (6-3, 225) and Nick Hirschman (6-4, 230) have three years of eligibility remaining. Webb earned a degree at Kansas in three years and was eligibile immediately.

Comments

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

Congratulations Jordan Webb!

I always felt that Webb, while not great, was a better than average quarterback with little around him. He is certainly not Todd Reesing, but I bet he would have fared well throwing to Briscoe, Fine, and Meier with Collins protecting his blind side! Since he is in the Pac 12, and seemed to leave KU with class, I'll be rooting for him big time.

Best of luck Jordan!!!

hawk316 2 years ago

I'm rooting for Jordan, too. Besides the players around him, another factor which is sometimes overlooked is that Webb was still a young player. Fans often make the mistake of expecting senior-level play from freshmen and sophomores. Most players, especially those filling the highly demanding role of quarterback, simply need time to develop.

I hope Jordan has a terrific year at Colorado.

doolindalton 2 years ago

I've never quite understood the rationale for asking Jordan to leave. Crist is an upgrade at quarterback, but he has been frequently injured. Watching the backup QBs play on Saturday left me hoping that Tim Grunhard is the best OLine coach in the B12.

Carter Patterson 2 years ago

Playing backup at KU or being the starter at another D1 school is a no brainer. This works out well for both schools. This is going to be a long season for us regardless of who we have under center. We'll all be pulling for our boys to do well but even the best pundits have us winning 4 games. If Crist gets hurt, the worst case scenario is that Cummings and Baty get game experience.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

I think a lot of it has to do with the type of offense. Jordan Webb is a spread QB and that is often hard to translate to the pro style.

jhox 2 years ago

I'm really happen for my fellow KU alum. I hope he has an all conference type of season in the Pac 12.

I've said it before, this is one tough young man. He took a beating behind that line the last couple of years. Hopefully he'll get a little more help at CU.

Bill Kackley 2 years ago

As a fellow Franklin County citizen, who really likedJordon Webb, I wish him all the luck in the world. It's too bad he didn't get a chance to play under the coach who recruited him.

Jeff Suther 2 years ago

I think Jordan ended up taking alot of blame for the failed turner gill experiment. And he deserved it.

Mike Barnhart 2 years ago

You may be the only person alive that doesn't place 100% of the blame for our recent failures at the feet of Lew Perkins and Turner Gill!

John Boyle 2 years ago

I hope the "he" you are referring to is Gill.

jhox 2 years ago

I'm guessing you didn't actually watch a lot of games. The kid took an absolute beating, and kept getting up of the turf to play another down. He had great heart, and when he had time to actually find an open receiver, more often than not he hit that receiver. Yes, he had a lot of interceptions, but it's hard to throw with a 300 lb lineman bearing down on you.

Doug Cramer 2 years ago

This is great for Webb. Hope he does well. I'm not an expertt QB evaluator...but I always thought Webb struggled with two items. Vision down field...and passing accuracy. There were several times when he had open receivers and just missed the throw...badly. Maybe this improved...good luck Jordan.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I was always told he had one of the strongest arms in a QB, but accuracy and vision were his problem

Multiple times I heard "cannon" of an arm.

741hawk 2 years ago

IMO . . . 1) Arm strength average, 2) Accuracy average, BUT 3) Webb seldom had open receivers. Last year KU receivers either didn't know how (weren't coached) or couldn't get open!

Eric Dawson 2 years ago

Best of luck to Jordan at CU!

KGphoto 2 years ago

Nice! I'm definitely going to go catch a game or two now. Glad I can openly root for the Buffs without feeling conflicted. Probably the CSU game in Denver on the Sep. 1st, then I'll still have time to catch the Hawks game at 5.

I would try to schedule some others but somehow most game times are still TBA. Anybody able to shed some light on this? Why can't they get the game times set?

Kit Duncan 2 years ago

Jordan is most deserving of the chance to show his skills. This is a positive for KU in that he was allowed to transfer to another D-1 school and compete immediately. All the best Jordan!

Kit Duncan 2 years ago

Regarding the article... I know I'm opening a can of worms in pointing this out, and wish to say I have not before this made a negative comment about LJW's use of the name Kansas University vice University of Kansas.

Why is it, in this article you use University of Colorado and not Colorado University? The argument has been made that more letters are used in the formal name for KU so it's shortened to Kansas University, which makes the above use of University of Clorado an invalid argument. Another argument is that it's KU, not UK. Well, that argument could be rebutted here since it's CU, not UC. OK, let the discussion begin!

Ryan Shelton 2 years ago

Dear LJW, would you please just chance this policy so I don't have to read about people's complaints anymore?

Matt Bowers 2 years ago

Dear LJW, would you please let everyone know in every article that it is in fact the University of Kansas, but will be referenced as KU, to shut these people up...PLEASE!

Jim Jackson 2 years ago

Chuck long said Webb had the strongest arm he had coached. That being said, when comparing to other QB's in D 1, it must have been just slightly above average.

Webb did have poor accuracy and yes he was often rushed, but he really lacked vision.

Keith Hummel 2 years ago

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating. A lot of folks have forgotten how well Jordan Webb was playing at the start of the season last year. In the second game against Northern Illinois he completed 21 of 30 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns. We won that game on a 4th and goal play where Webb threw a TD pass to Beshears, the third receiver in his progression. In fact, he played so well in that game that he actually overshadowed UNI's QB, Chandler Harnish, who would go on to be drafted by the Colts. Yes, it was only UNI, but KU was 2-0 at that point and we had reason to be hopeful largely because of Jordan Webb's improvement.

Unfortunately, Georgia Tech knocked the wheels off KU's wagon the very next week, exposing the Jayhawk defense for the mess it was, and exposing the weaknesses of our offense and play calling. Webb actually played a good game, at least before it became a joke in the second half. But as we all know KU never recovered from that loss, and Webb spent the bulk of the season either running for his life or watching Rell Lewis run the Wildcat (I refuse to call it "the Jayhawk" ).

Was Jordan Webb capable of being the next Todd Reesing? Perhaps not, but how would anyone really know given the circumstances he played under. What I do know is he worked his tail off to become a hugely improved QB at the start of the 2011 season, and did nothing less than give KU everything he had.

I couldn't be happier for Jordan, and hope he has a monster year for CU.

KGphoto 2 years ago

Totally agree with most of that, and I'm a fan of his because of his effort and for the way he handled adversity. I'll be rooting for him in person for a couple games this year. Maybe he'll blossom under a less predictable offensive scheme.

Hey, can we call it the WildHawk? Because I refuse to run a formation named after the kittens. It's morally repugnant.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years ago

Maybe I missed something?

How is he able to play right away? Is it because he was cut (released)?

Regardless, best wishes to him.

STL_Jayhawk 2 years ago

I believe it is because he earned his degree. Similar to the Notre Dame players that transferred to KU and can play right away.

741hawk 2 years ago

If you graduate and have eligibility left, you can transfer and play without delay IF you major in something that your previous school didn't offer. (Typical convoluted NCAA ruling)

jayhawkrob 2 years ago

I like jordan and hope he does well in boulder.