Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ex-KU QB Webb to start for Colorado

— Former Kansas University quarterback Jordan Webb has been named starting QB at the University of Colorado.

Webb, a 6-foot-1, 205-pound junior, who started 19 games at KU the past two seasons, threw for 3,079 yards and 20 touchdowns with 20 interceptions and a 4-15 record.

“Each day, it was becoming more and more evident,” CU coach Jon Embree told the Denver Post, referring to Webb’s emergence as starter. “He just consistently made plays, made good decisions. He’s very accurate with his ball. I wasn’t into playing (mind) games. I was going to let the team know as soon as I made a decision. I felt good about it last night, slept on it and decided to let it go out today.”

Embree told the Post he wasn’t surprised Webb was able to pick up the offense so quickly.

“He’s a smart kid,” Embree said. “He graduated from high school (Union, Mo.) in 3 1/2 years and about the same from college. (The offense) all makes sense to him. It’s a testament to how hard he works.”

Backups Connor Wood (6-3, 225) and Nick Hirschman (6-4, 230) have three years of eligibility remaining. Webb earned a degree at Kansas in three years and was eligibile immediately.

Comments

jayhawkrob 1 year, 8 months ago

I like jordan and hope he does well in boulder.

CrimsonAndBlueForLife 1 year, 8 months ago

Colorado can have him. We got the better deal by swapping Jordan Webb for Dayne Crist. CU is still going to suck, especially now that Webb is taking the Turner Gill way of doing things to Boulder. With Webb as QB, the Fluff-aloes may as well don sky blue jerseys like they did in the early '80s when they sucked.

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

If you graduate and have eligibility left, you can transfer and play without delay IF you major in something that your previous school didn't offer. (Typical convoluted NCAA ruling)

Rock_Chalk_NYC 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe I missed something?

How is he able to play right away? Is it because he was cut (released)?

Regardless, best wishes to him.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating. A lot of folks have forgotten how well Jordan Webb was playing at the start of the season last year. In the second game against Northern Illinois he completed 21 of 30 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns. We won that game on a 4th and goal play where Webb threw a TD pass to Beshears, the third receiver in his progression. In fact, he played so well in that game that he actually overshadowed UNI's QB, Chandler Harnish, who would go on to be drafted by the Colts. Yes, it was only UNI, but KU was 2-0 at that point and we had reason to be hopeful largely because of Jordan Webb's improvement.

Unfortunately, Georgia Tech knocked the wheels off KU's wagon the very next week, exposing the Jayhawk defense for the mess it was, and exposing the weaknesses of our offense and play calling. Webb actually played a good game, at least before it became a joke in the second half. But as we all know KU never recovered from that loss, and Webb spent the bulk of the season either running for his life or watching Rell Lewis run the Wildcat (I refuse to call it "the Jayhawk" ).

Was Jordan Webb capable of being the next Todd Reesing? Perhaps not, but how would anyone really know given the circumstances he played under. What I do know is he worked his tail off to become a hugely improved QB at the start of the 2011 season, and did nothing less than give KU everything he had.

I couldn't be happier for Jordan, and hope he has a monster year for CU.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 8 months ago

Chuck long said Webb had the strongest arm he had coached. That being said, when comparing to other QB's in D 1, it must have been just slightly above average.

Webb did have poor accuracy and yes he was often rushed, but he really lacked vision.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 8 months ago

Regarding the article... I know I'm opening a can of worms in pointing this out, and wish to say I have not before this made a negative comment about LJW's use of the name Kansas University vice University of Kansas.

Why is it, in this article you use University of Colorado and not Colorado University? The argument has been made that more letters are used in the formal name for KU so it's shortened to Kansas University, which makes the above use of University of Clorado an invalid argument. Another argument is that it's KU, not UK. Well, that argument could be rebutted here since it's CU, not UC. OK, let the discussion begin!

Kit Duncan 1 year, 8 months ago

Jordan is most deserving of the chance to show his skills. This is a positive for KU in that he was allowed to transfer to another D-1 school and compete immediately. All the best Jordan!

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Nice! I'm definitely going to go catch a game or two now. Glad I can openly root for the Buffs without feeling conflicted. Probably the CSU game in Denver on the Sep. 1st, then I'll still have time to catch the Hawks game at 5.

I would try to schedule some others but somehow most game times are still TBA. Anybody able to shed some light on this? Why can't they get the game times set?

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

Best of luck to Jordan at CU!

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

This is great for Webb. Hope he does well. I'm not an expertt QB evaluator...but I always thought Webb struggled with two items. Vision down field...and passing accuracy. There were several times when he had open receivers and just missed the throw...badly. Maybe this improved...good luck Jordan.

Jeff Suther 1 year, 8 months ago

I think Jordan ended up taking alot of blame for the failed turner gill experiment. And he deserved it.

Bill Kackley 1 year, 8 months ago

As a fellow Franklin County citizen, who really likedJordon Webb, I wish him all the luck in the world. It's too bad he didn't get a chance to play under the coach who recruited him.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm really happen for my fellow KU alum. I hope he has an all conference type of season in the Pac 12.

I've said it before, this is one tough young man. He took a beating behind that line the last couple of years. Hopefully he'll get a little more help at CU.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

I've never quite understood the rationale for asking Jordan to leave. Crist is an upgrade at quarterback, but he has been frequently injured. Watching the backup QBs play on Saturday left me hoping that Tim Grunhard is the best OLine coach in the B12.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulations Jordan Webb!

I always felt that Webb, while not great, was a better than average quarterback with little around him. He is certainly not Todd Reesing, but I bet he would have fared well throwing to Briscoe, Fine, and Meier with Collins protecting his blind side! Since he is in the Pac 12, and seemed to leave KU with class, I'll be rooting for him big time.

Best of luck Jordan!!!