Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Keegan

Weis’ success measured in wins, wary foes

Las Vegas has put the over-under on victories for the first Charlie Weis football team at Kansas University at 3.5, which would make a 4-8 season a success for anyone taking the over on that proposition.

Charlie Weis has a number in mind for what would constitute success. He’ll answer most questions sent his way, but he’s not stupid, so he won’t answer that one. What’s he supposed to say, four? Then if the team reaches four with two weeks remaining, well, they’ve already had a successful season, so don’t worry about the last two.

Four does seem like a reasonable number to define success and six would qualify as cause for euphoria. A bowl game one year after a 2-10 season during which KU trailed by 33 points or more five times heading into the fourth quarter? Even by 2-10 standards, it was a bad, bad team.

“There were just too many games the team was out of last year,” Weis said. “We’ve got to get away from that. We’ve got to get to where people say, ‘God, what happened to those guys? That used to be an easy win,’ where they start worrying about you, not just saying it to be politically correct.”

Weis’ abhorrence of coach speak makes him a far more interesting listen in a press conference than 90 percent of all college football coaches.

“There are already coaches in the league, because I’m here, don’t want to say something degrading, so they say, ‘Well, Kansas will be much improved.’ But they don’t really mean that,” he said. “They’re just saying it to sound good. It’s got to get to the point where they start worrying, and hopefully, that’ll happen this year, not next year.”

Kansas trailed Texas A&M by 61 points going into the final quarter, Oklahoma State by 49, Kansas State by 38, Georgia Tech by 35 and Texas by 33.

KU could trail by half those margins heading into the final 15 minutes against the top teams on this year’s schedule and foes still wouldn’t worry about them. So the Jayhawks need to be more than twice as good as they were a year ago for Weis to get his wish in terms of competitiveness.

“We’re not looking for that to be a three-year project to get to that point,” he said of getting foes to worry about them. “We’re looking for that to occur this year.”

He recruited three players from Notre Dame — quarterback Dayne Crist, tight end Mike Ragone and linebacker Anthony McDonald — and one from Nebraska (defensive end Josh Williams) to chip away at the talent deficit and bring a veteran presence to push the holdovers. That seems to be working well.

To get to 4-8 Kansas would need either to go 2-1 in nonconference games (South Dakota State, Rice, Northern Illinois) and 2-7 in the Big 12 or sweep the nonconference and get just one conference upset, both reasonable paths.

Comments

Dirk Medema 2 years ago

6 wins and the NYC for Pinstripe.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

Ballsy, though I do like the optimism.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

So - I'm watching the Fox Kansas 2012 Football Preview last night at 9:00 pm.

My wife ( not the world's biggest football fan ) walks through the living room and says - what is HE doing there? (referring to Charlie Weis).

I said " They are interviewing the head coach - why? "

She says - " Are you fricking SERIOUS? KU hired Rodney Dangerfield as their head coach????"

After I composed myself, I told her that Mr Dangerfield passed away several years ago. She paused for a second and said " Well, he STILL would have been better than that last coach".

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years ago

Dude..that's some funny stuff. Sounds like something my wife would say. Thanks for the chuckle.

chipmunk1956 2 years ago

Just once, I want to see Weis grab his collar, tilt his head and blurt out a "I don't get no respect!!"

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years ago

That is hilarious!

And yes, Rodney would be much better than our prior coach...

One of my faves:

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years ago

Forgot to mention, we have a stud for a coach now and he's trimming up, looking great!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

I really want to believe the 3 non conference games are victories for us. I don't think for a minute they are all "gimme" games, but I do think we win all 3. If that happens then I really feel this team can win 2-3 conference games and get to 5 or 6. Our conference is ridiculous, but opportunities have a way of presenting themselves. An under acheiving team or a good team playing a poor game... With everything as bad as it was last year, we were within a few plays of being a 5 win team.

Ron Prichard 2 years ago

That's something that people tend to forget. Even with all the blowout losses, KU was leading TTech late in the game and within one or two blown plays of beating Baylor. We also played KSU very well in the first half until a blown defensive assignment gave KSU a HUGE play and allowed them to score right before halftime. I don't think this year's team blows those plays, whether its better conditioning, better instruction, or better players. I think that's why I get so excited for this year's team. We saw moments last year where we knew they had some promise. They could just never put it together for four quarters.

John Boyle 2 years ago

WOW! That is setting the bar high! I like your optimism but I don't think there is any way in "h" "e" double toothpicks we win 7 games this year.

LSHawk 2 years ago

You got to believe that we will win all 3 of our non con games and I see the Iowa State and Texas Tech games as possible wins also. Then we would just need Baylor to have an off day and maybe, just maybe.....6 wins...... but after last year if we win 2 of our 3 non cons and at least 2 of our conference games I would be very pleased.

FarneyMac 2 years ago

Well, you have to factor in the decided schematic advantage.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years ago

These ads are getting pretty ridiculous, if I ran a website I would probably do whatever ads would pay the most too, but I wish the old KU tickets/merchandise ads would come back. The women over 40, the girl who pooped today and the Pilipino women ads are just odd and dumb.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years ago

We win four and build toward the future.

Rivethead 2 years ago

Our best chance for a conference victory is probably TCU. They return the fewest starters and it's early in the season. Baylor? On the road. KU rarely wins on the road.

irvan moore 2 years ago

i'm thinkin' we can win 6 if things work out, i'm a believer

Jim Jackson 2 years ago

I like the 6 win number. We should beat all 3 non con teams; NIU lost their really good QB to the draft, the defense will be improved no doubt (solid secondary with Brown and Mcdougald) improved D line play, Campo, and a REAL S&C coach in Holsopple.

Offensively; Weis' genius, Crist, an O line that has had an extra year to get bigger, stronger and in better shape etc. .

Last year, some might recall, we almost beat Baylor and Tech. This year we should have a real shot to do so and I think TCU will have trouble with us too.

6 wins! Go Jayhawkers!

Fototherapist 2 years ago

We'll use the element of surprise to eek out 5 or 6 wins. Maybe more if the stars are aligned. Most teams will be shocked by what they see from the Jayhawks.

DocPossum 2 years ago

Games will be more competitive regardless of the final record. We should be cheering the lads because of their effort, dedication, and ability to punish their opponents. By cheering we can excite them to greater glory. 5 wins -Doc Possum

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

3 Non-conference...we should win these 50/50 Games ISU, TTU

40/60 BU, TCU, OSU, UT

30/70 TCU, KSU, WVU

1/99 OU

Baylor doesn't have the Heisman trophy winner that basically beat us last year. OSU lost key offensive players, but they crushed us last year. Texas is just interesting because they haven't been the same for the past couple of years. TCU and KSU will be a lot better than people are saying, TCU early in the season might be our only chance. I think WVU away that late in the season could be trouble.

Lucas Town 2 years ago

I think it's funny how alot of us think we can beat K-State, or have a shot of beating them this year. We go to Manhattan and they are doing nothing but getting better, Bill Snyder is a huge reason why. Last year I remember someone on the board saying "K-State is not that much better than us." Uh, yes they are. We were aweful, I agree with jhawkrulz, they are going to be better than most think. TCU will be good, we have alot of players that don't know how to win yet. We win 4 games tops. I will be more optimistic when the team gives me reason to be.

dylans 2 years ago

Talent wise KSU is not much better than KU, but they have one of the best living coaches.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

Texas I would agree, probably should have been in the 30/70, but they just have been inconsistent the last couple of years. I also think that UT's recruiting class gets a bump because if UT wants them, they must have been a 4 or 5 star. That being said, they have a question mark at QB, and still working through the second year DC. It is at home, so I gave KU the benefit of the doubt.

Jock Navels 2 years ago

you guys all sound like an old Bill Mayer column. I believe we will win the next game. I always believe we will win the next game. If you don't believe you will win the next game, why play it, or watch it. Therefore, right now, I believe we will finish 14-0. There it is.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I think the most games you can play is 13 in the Big XII...no Big XII conference tournament, so 3 Non-Conference, 9 Conference and a Bowl Game.

KGphoto 2 years ago

I'm chalking up the 3 non-cons right now. If we don't win those I guarantee people will come out of the woodwork and start screaming that Weis is a windbag. I know NIll is pretty tough, but they don't have the talent from top to bottom and they especially don't have their NFL QB this year.

3 wins.

If the Hawks figure out how to stuff the run, we have a shot at TCU, Texas, and OSU at home. To me these games will tell the story. If we can win one of these it will put us on the map again. If it's TCU, the K-State matchup will be a national story the next week, and if we figure out the read option we could win that one too.

4 wins.

Iowa St. at home is a must win. As terrible as the team may have been last year, we had these guys on the ropes in Ames.

5 wins.

TTech and Baylor away. Our best two chances for a conference road win. I don't think either of these teams can keep up with our offensive talent. We should be able to move the ball and score. A few big defensive plays/turnovers and we should bag both.

7 wins.

Honestly when I look at the schedule I only scratch off two games. Oklahoma and West Virginia away. Every other game on the schedule is a possible win.

I know it's optimistic, but when I plant myself in front of the TV on game day, this is how I will feel about each of these games. Obviously there will be surprises. Talents around the league will emerge, injuries will happen etc., and the outlook could change during the season, but right now I like our chances for 7 wins.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

We play 2 non-conference games, then TCU, and follow-up with our 3rd and final non-conference game. KSU wouldn't be the week after TCU, it would be technically three weeks after. NIU the week after TCU and then we have a bye-week and then we play KSU. I hope HCCW has the same record that Belichek has after a bye week.

KGphoto 2 years ago

Technicality, shmechnicality! If we are 4-0, with a TCU win, heading into the rotten apple, it'll be a national story, no?

troutsee 2 years ago

I agree with you. I am the eternal optimist, but I think we can win 7 or 8 games this year.

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

Count me in, too. You nailed it when you said TCU, OSU, and Texas would tell the story for this year. OSU is the most winable. Last year we led ISU, TTech, and Baylor. We should win each of those games. New system for our opponents to have to figure out, yet experienced QB in that system, same dangerous backfield with an experienced O-line, much improved conditioning, a solid D coordinator and solid D reinforcements. Two fifth-year D guys who are hungry to make this year count. All adds up to major improvement. Easy Vegas money I think.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I must admit I probably should have rated UT one level lower; however, to your point, if they are playing a lot of freshman next year, I would like our chances a little more. UT also has been inconsistent the past few years. They replaced their DC and last year (in his first year), gave up 22 points a game...that's not good compared to the history of what UT does.

You talk to most people at UT and they are not happy with the football program.

I still like wearing my KU Goggles.

Chris1955 2 years ago

Having lived in Texas for over 20 years, I have followed UT football very closely. UT is beatable. UT still doesnt have a QB. Mack Brown is the coach. He's a great recruiter, but over rated as a coach. OU still beats them most years. Mack is coasting, it will catch up to him again soon. They need new HC blood at UT. I only hope it isnt Major Applewhite. He was the epitome of an over-achiever when he played for the Horns. I shudder to think what UT could be like if he had the controls of that team. They could rival Bill Self's 8 straight conference titles.

Ron Prichard 2 years ago

Texas is going to be better than us, but it won't be because of their recruiting class. Very few of those players will see the field this year. Their quarterback situation is horrible. We will have the decided advantage at that position as long as Crist stays healthy. However, their D is really good and we couldn't stop their running game last year at all. I remember being more frustrated watching that game than just about any game all year. It was sick. We knew they were going to run, they did run, and we couldn't stop them. If, and this is a big if, we can stop their running game this year, we have a chance at beating UT. If not, it could be very ugly. And as for Mack Brown, he annually does less with more talent than anyone in the country. I honestly give us the coaching advantage in that game.

KjayhawkprideU 2 years ago

Oak you are forgetting one thing. They have been in the top five recruiting class the last ten years and in the last 2 have not done crap to show their talent. Even Rome fell or you would have been speaking Italian.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

I am afraid that I must agree with my doppleganger above and indicate that we will be quite out-manned by the elite teams in our league.

However, let me list one more reason we will be getting everybody's best shot.....Charlie Weis.

Now that we have a legitimate big time coach, no head coach wil take us lightly, even though we will be marked underdogs for many of our games.

Something tells me we are going to get a strong effort against us from every team on our schedule......but even that is an improvement!!

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

PS Is OakvilleJaybateNightmare infringing on posting name rights.....or is this some form of weird sarcasm. maybe I'll start posting as OakvilleJaybateNightmareToo. :)

clevelandjayhawker 2 years ago

Where is asphere? havent seen a post from him in a month.

KU's best friend is vs Texas is mack brown, he does less with more than any coach ever. Plus it was only 6 years or so ago we beat a vince young cedrick benson derick johnson texas team at home, anything can happen its sports (ps it was the refs that took the "W" away, but we beat them). First lets worry about Sept 1st.....one game at a time

Phoggin_Loud 2 years ago

Here's a quick break-down of KU's opponents schedules & how to get to 6 wins:

S. Dakota State: Must-win home opener.

Rice: 1st road game after home opener vs. UCLA.

TCU: Possible national audience. TCU will be on the road for their 2nd game of the season after opening the previous week with a "practice" vs Grambling. KU will be in their 3rd game and at home. Weis should be ready!!

@ Northern Illinois: Battle-tested after opening in Soldier Field vs Iowa, home vs. Tenn-Martin, & @ Army in West Point.

Bye

@ K-State: Both teams coming off of a bye-week. In Manhattan. Coach Weis has stuck his neck out regarding 1 team in Kansas winning 10 games and not the other. Showdown!!

Ok State: Loss @ OU: Loss Texas: Loss @ Baylor: Loss

@ Texas Tech:Coming off a stretch of OU, WV, @ TCU, @ KSU, & Texas. Close the season @ OSU & @ Baylor. May be ripe for a rare KU road win.

Iowa State: Coming off a 6 week stretch of @ TCU, KSU, @ OSU, Baylor, OU, & @ Texas. Close the season at home vs WV. Must win!!

Bye

@ West Virginia: Last 5 of KSU, TCU, @ OSU, OU, @ ISU. KU is coming off its 2nd bye week of the season. Extra week could be a huge advantage with Weis & staff.

To get to 6 wins, KU needs to win its first 2 non-con games, 2 road wins (@ NIU @ KSU, @ Texas Tech, or @ West Virginia), and 2 other home wins (TCU & Iowa State)

This was re-posted from a few weeks ago, but 6 seems plausible when broken down by week & assuming Weis & Campo will better learn their roster as the season progresses.

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

This is not the NFL people. If it were, Snyder couldn't do what he does, Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson wouldn't be successful either. It is about coaching more than anything. We can't beat Texas cause of all their 5-stars? How asinine. K-State has beat them the last five of seven.

The telling thing here to me is that Vegas does not think that Weiss can coach. Hear that Mr. Weiss? Mr. Campo? Make 'em choke on it. But, as tempting as it is, please don't gamble on it. Would probably be some sort of violation.

danmoore 2 years ago

With the exception of San Diego State, Rice and Iowa State every team we face is either ranked or have received points in the pre-season poll. I’m saying 5 wins.

wats211 2 years ago

vegas knows what they are doing...i look for the hawks to play entertaining competitive football that will be fun to watch...4 wins is a success one thing is for sure..if you have a charlie weis and a dave campo...our players will be ready...if notre dame had campo when weis was there ...weis still might be there..its all about campo..ku will score points...the question is ...can they stop anybody..so its up to campo to get that done..and i think he will...i see a miracle 6-6..and maybe a yankee stadium bowl on x-mas eve

JJHawq 2 years ago

OK Kookaide junkies - I called the orange bowl season record after week 1 on the air to soren petro - i also called Todd Reesing as starting QB as a soph when he was in spring ball in lawrence instead of prom in texas - also did that in an email to soren petro -

so i'm certainly an eternal optimist when it comes to KU football - and I am also a season ticket holder...

there is no way in hell we win 6 or 7. OSU was up by 60 at the half and suddenly we are a 50/50 game with them? are you on crack?????????

we can certainly win the non-cons if we play WELL. then we can also beat ISU, and maybe get lucky somewhere else.

so if everything goes PERFECT - we're a 4-5 win team. for us to win 6 would be a BIGGER shock than the orange bowl season....

keep in mind that a few teams a year scare the hell out of our basketball hawks - that doesn't make them "a play or two from the final 4" no matter how much crimson and blue weed you're smoking.

KGphoto 2 years ago

I don't see a 28 year old NFL QB on OSUs roster this year. Nor do I see his #5 overall WR. They are certainly not in the running for a BCS bowl game, and we are playing them at home this year, so yeah, I think our chances are pretty good. Maybe more like 40/60.

lahothan 2 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks 6 wins is possible? I mean it isn't difficult to believe we win all 3 non conference games, plus 2 or 3 Big 12 games. It means an upset or two but it is definitely possible. I mean we had Baylor in the bag the other year and we blew it in the last minute. I think 5 wins is a pretty solid goal.

Randy Bombardier 2 years ago

No, some people just have a had time with believing good things will happen. Baylor loses Wright and RG3. Those were the only reasons they beat us the last couple of years. OSU loses their top offensive weapons but is a much better team overall. Winnable. Tuberville continues to flounder at Tech. Winnable. Iowa State is uncertain at QB play. Winnable. Three non-conference wins and 2-4 conference wins.