Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Keegan

Weis’ success measured in wins, wary foes

Las Vegas has put the over-under on victories for the first Charlie Weis football team at Kansas University at 3.5, which would make a 4-8 season a success for anyone taking the over on that proposition.

Charlie Weis has a number in mind for what would constitute success. He’ll answer most questions sent his way, but he’s not stupid, so he won’t answer that one. What’s he supposed to say, four? Then if the team reaches four with two weeks remaining, well, they’ve already had a successful season, so don’t worry about the last two.

Four does seem like a reasonable number to define success and six would qualify as cause for euphoria. A bowl game one year after a 2-10 season during which KU trailed by 33 points or more five times heading into the fourth quarter? Even by 2-10 standards, it was a bad, bad team.

“There were just too many games the team was out of last year,” Weis said. “We’ve got to get away from that. We’ve got to get to where people say, ‘God, what happened to those guys? That used to be an easy win,’ where they start worrying about you, not just saying it to be politically correct.”

Weis’ abhorrence of coach speak makes him a far more interesting listen in a press conference than 90 percent of all college football coaches.

“There are already coaches in the league, because I’m here, don’t want to say something degrading, so they say, ‘Well, Kansas will be much improved.’ But they don’t really mean that,” he said. “They’re just saying it to sound good. It’s got to get to the point where they start worrying, and hopefully, that’ll happen this year, not next year.”

Kansas trailed Texas A&M by 61 points going into the final quarter, Oklahoma State by 49, Kansas State by 38, Georgia Tech by 35 and Texas by 33.

KU could trail by half those margins heading into the final 15 minutes against the top teams on this year’s schedule and foes still wouldn’t worry about them. So the Jayhawks need to be more than twice as good as they were a year ago for Weis to get his wish in terms of competitiveness.

“We’re not looking for that to be a three-year project to get to that point,” he said of getting foes to worry about them. “We’re looking for that to occur this year.”

He recruited three players from Notre Dame — quarterback Dayne Crist, tight end Mike Ragone and linebacker Anthony McDonald — and one from Nebraska (defensive end Josh Williams) to chip away at the talent deficit and bring a veteran presence to push the holdovers. That seems to be working well.

To get to 4-8 Kansas would need either to go 2-1 in nonconference games (South Dakota State, Rice, Northern Illinois) and 2-7 in the Big 12 or sweep the nonconference and get just one conference upset, both reasonable paths.

Comments

lahothan 1 year, 8 months ago

Am I the only one who thinks 6 wins is possible? I mean it isn't difficult to believe we win all 3 non conference games, plus 2 or 3 Big 12 games. It means an upset or two but it is definitely possible. I mean we had Baylor in the bag the other year and we blew it in the last minute. I think 5 wins is a pretty solid goal.

JJHawq 1 year, 8 months ago

OK Kookaide junkies - I called the orange bowl season record after week 1 on the air to soren petro - i also called Todd Reesing as starting QB as a soph when he was in spring ball in lawrence instead of prom in texas - also did that in an email to soren petro -

so i'm certainly an eternal optimist when it comes to KU football - and I am also a season ticket holder...

there is no way in hell we win 6 or 7. OSU was up by 60 at the half and suddenly we are a 50/50 game with them? are you on crack?????????

we can certainly win the non-cons if we play WELL. then we can also beat ISU, and maybe get lucky somewhere else.

so if everything goes PERFECT - we're a 4-5 win team. for us to win 6 would be a BIGGER shock than the orange bowl season....

keep in mind that a few teams a year scare the hell out of our basketball hawks - that doesn't make them "a play or two from the final 4" no matter how much crimson and blue weed you're smoking.

wats211 1 year, 8 months ago

vegas knows what they are doing...i look for the hawks to play entertaining competitive football that will be fun to watch...4 wins is a success one thing is for sure..if you have a charlie weis and a dave campo...our players will be ready...if notre dame had campo when weis was there ...weis still might be there..its all about campo..ku will score points...the question is ...can they stop anybody..so its up to campo to get that done..and i think he will...i see a miracle 6-6..and maybe a yankee stadium bowl on x-mas eve

JHWKDW 1 year, 8 months ago

Id take 4 wins as a success! Getting more than 4 wins would be awesome!

It will take a bit of time for Coach Weis to turn it around. Well it will be fun and rough at times to watch this team but I like what Ives seen from Coach Weis. Rock Chalk in 2012 and forever!

danmoore 1 year, 8 months ago

With the exception of San Diego State, Rice and Iowa State every team we face is either ranked or have received points in the pre-season poll. I’m saying 5 wins.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 8 months ago

This is not the NFL people. If it were, Snyder couldn't do what he does, Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson wouldn't be successful either. It is about coaching more than anything. We can't beat Texas cause of all their 5-stars? How asinine. K-State has beat them the last five of seven.

The telling thing here to me is that Vegas does not think that Weiss can coach. Hear that Mr. Weiss? Mr. Campo? Make 'em choke on it. But, as tempting as it is, please don't gamble on it. Would probably be some sort of violation.

Phoggin_Loud 1 year, 8 months ago

Here's a quick break-down of KU's opponents schedules & how to get to 6 wins:

S. Dakota State: Must-win home opener.

Rice: 1st road game after home opener vs. UCLA.

TCU: Possible national audience. TCU will be on the road for their 2nd game of the season after opening the previous week with a "practice" vs Grambling. KU will be in their 3rd game and at home. Weis should be ready!!

@ Northern Illinois: Battle-tested after opening in Soldier Field vs Iowa, home vs. Tenn-Martin, & @ Army in West Point.

Bye

@ K-State: Both teams coming off of a bye-week. In Manhattan. Coach Weis has stuck his neck out regarding 1 team in Kansas winning 10 games and not the other. Showdown!!

Ok State: Loss @ OU: Loss Texas: Loss @ Baylor: Loss

@ Texas Tech:Coming off a stretch of OU, WV, @ TCU, @ KSU, & Texas. Close the season @ OSU & @ Baylor. May be ripe for a rare KU road win.

Iowa State: Coming off a 6 week stretch of @ TCU, KSU, @ OSU, Baylor, OU, & @ Texas. Close the season at home vs WV. Must win!!

Bye

@ West Virginia: Last 5 of KSU, TCU, @ OSU, OU, @ ISU. KU is coming off its 2nd bye week of the season. Extra week could be a huge advantage with Weis & staff.

To get to 6 wins, KU needs to win its first 2 non-con games, 2 road wins (@ NIU @ KSU, @ Texas Tech, or @ West Virginia), and 2 other home wins (TCU & Iowa State)

This was re-posted from a few weeks ago, but 6 seems plausible when broken down by week & assuming Weis & Campo will better learn their roster as the season progresses.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Where is asphere? havent seen a post from him in a month.

KU's best friend is vs Texas is mack brown, he does less with more than any coach ever. Plus it was only 6 years or so ago we beat a vince young cedrick benson derick johnson texas team at home, anything can happen its sports (ps it was the refs that took the "W" away, but we beat them). First lets worry about Sept 1st.....one game at a time

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

I am afraid that I must agree with my doppleganger above and indicate that we will be quite out-manned by the elite teams in our league.

However, let me list one more reason we will be getting everybody's best shot.....Charlie Weis.

Now that we have a legitimate big time coach, no head coach wil take us lightly, even though we will be marked underdogs for many of our games.

Something tells me we are going to get a strong effort against us from every team on our schedule......but even that is an improvement!!

KjayhawkprideU 1 year, 8 months ago

Oak you are forgetting one thing. They have been in the top five recruiting class the last ten years and in the last 2 have not done crap to show their talent. Even Rome fell or you would have been speaking Italian.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

What is wrong with you people saying we have a shot a Texas?!?! Good god... I thought I had some thick Jayhawk goggles. Texas brought in the # 3 ranked class in 2012. They have 10 ESPN 150s and 12 four star recruits just in that class alone. What evidence do you people have to believe we have a shot at Texas? Because we got a few good transfers? Mack Brown with a top recruiting class, hmm.. that doesn't sound like a Jayhawk victory tune.

No one is more optimistic than me and I actually think we have a shot at everyone except OU and Texas but to sit here and read people talk about us beating Texas with the talent they just brought in is just a little too much. They have several kids in that recruiting class that will be on your fantasy football team in 3 years.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm chalking up the 3 non-cons right now. If we don't win those I guarantee people will come out of the woodwork and start screaming that Weis is a windbag. I know NIll is pretty tough, but they don't have the talent from top to bottom and they especially don't have their NFL QB this year.

3 wins.

If the Hawks figure out how to stuff the run, we have a shot at TCU, Texas, and OSU at home. To me these games will tell the story. If we can win one of these it will put us on the map again. If it's TCU, the K-State matchup will be a national story the next week, and if we figure out the read option we could win that one too.

4 wins.

Iowa St. at home is a must win. As terrible as the team may have been last year, we had these guys on the ropes in Ames.

5 wins.

TTech and Baylor away. Our best two chances for a conference road win. I don't think either of these teams can keep up with our offensive talent. We should be able to move the ball and score. A few big defensive plays/turnovers and we should bag both.

7 wins.

Honestly when I look at the schedule I only scratch off two games. Oklahoma and West Virginia away. Every other game on the schedule is a possible win.

I know it's optimistic, but when I plant myself in front of the TV on game day, this is how I will feel about each of these games. Obviously there will be surprises. Talents around the league will emerge, injuries will happen etc., and the outlook could change during the season, but right now I like our chances for 7 wins.

Jock Navels 1 year, 8 months ago

you guys all sound like an old Bill Mayer column. I believe we will win the next game. I always believe we will win the next game. If you don't believe you will win the next game, why play it, or watch it. Therefore, right now, I believe we will finish 14-0. There it is.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

3 Non-conference...we should win these 50/50 Games ISU, TTU

40/60 BU, TCU, OSU, UT

30/70 TCU, KSU, WVU

1/99 OU

Baylor doesn't have the Heisman trophy winner that basically beat us last year. OSU lost key offensive players, but they crushed us last year. Texas is just interesting because they haven't been the same for the past couple of years. TCU and KSU will be a lot better than people are saying, TCU early in the season might be our only chance. I think WVU away that late in the season could be trouble.

DocPossum 1 year, 8 months ago

Games will be more competitive regardless of the final record. We should be cheering the lads because of their effort, dedication, and ability to punish their opponents. By cheering we can excite them to greater glory. 5 wins -Doc Possum

Fototherapist 1 year, 8 months ago

We'll use the element of surprise to eek out 5 or 6 wins. Maybe more if the stars are aligned. Most teams will be shocked by what they see from the Jayhawks.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 8 months ago

I like the 6 win number. We should beat all 3 non con teams; NIU lost their really good QB to the draft, the defense will be improved no doubt (solid secondary with Brown and Mcdougald) improved D line play, Campo, and a REAL S&C coach in Holsopple.

Offensively; Weis' genius, Crist, an O line that has had an extra year to get bigger, stronger and in better shape etc. .

Last year, some might recall, we almost beat Baylor and Tech. This year we should have a real shot to do so and I think TCU will have trouble with us too.

6 wins! Go Jayhawkers!

irvan moore 1 year, 8 months ago

i'm thinkin' we can win 6 if things work out, i'm a believer

Rivethead 1 year, 8 months ago

Our best chance for a conference victory is probably TCU. They return the fewest starters and it's early in the season. Baylor? On the road. KU rarely wins on the road.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

We win four and build toward the future.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

These ads are getting pretty ridiculous, if I ran a website I would probably do whatever ads would pay the most too, but I wish the old KU tickets/merchandise ads would come back. The women over 40, the girl who pooped today and the Pilipino women ads are just odd and dumb.

FarneyMac 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, you have to factor in the decided schematic advantage.

LSHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

You got to believe that we will win all 3 of our non con games and I see the Iowa State and Texas Tech games as possible wins also. Then we would just need Baylor to have an off day and maybe, just maybe.....6 wins...... but after last year if we win 2 of our 3 non cons and at least 2 of our conference games I would be very pleased.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

This team has a 5 star quarterback, several excellent young runningbacks, veteran receivers, 2 veteran strong defensive ends and a veteran secondary.

Every position on this team has more talent than last year and is under better instruction. Also, our coaches will actually have a logical game plan and adequate preparation going into every single game. Discipline and focus will be much improved as well.

KU wins all 3 nonconference and 4 conference games for a 7 win season.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I really want to believe the 3 non conference games are victories for us. I don't think for a minute they are all "gimme" games, but I do think we win all 3. If that happens then I really feel this team can win 2-3 conference games and get to 5 or 6. Our conference is ridiculous, but opportunities have a way of presenting themselves. An under acheiving team or a good team playing a poor game... With everything as bad as it was last year, we were within a few plays of being a 5 win team.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

So - I'm watching the Fox Kansas 2012 Football Preview last night at 9:00 pm.

My wife ( not the world's biggest football fan ) walks through the living room and says - what is HE doing there? (referring to Charlie Weis).

I said " They are interviewing the head coach - why? "

She says - " Are you fricking SERIOUS? KU hired Rodney Dangerfield as their head coach????"

After I composed myself, I told her that Mr Dangerfield passed away several years ago. She paused for a second and said " Well, he STILL would have been better than that last coach".

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

6 wins and the NYC for Pinstripe.