Monday, August 13, 2012

NBA forward: Kansas post players ‘really good’

— Kevin Seraphin, who averaged 7.9 points and 4.9 rebounds for the Washington Wizards last year, said he was impressed by what he saw from Kansas’ young post players.

“They’re really good. They play with intensity,” Seraphin said. “They like to compete and fight. That was a good thing.”

KU freshman forward Landen Lucas said going against Seraphin was a fun challenge.

“It’s good, because really, in a couple years, that’s the kind of player I see myself being,” Lucas said. “He’s big and seals well, uses his body real well. So to be able to get out there and get a chance to bang against him was great.

“You always want to learn, especially from players like that. Just seeing the way he would use his body, I definitely learned. While I was on the bench, I definitely was watching him the whole time.”

Seraphin’s presence on Washington’s roster most likely was one reason the Wizards decided to pass up on former KU forward Thomas Robinson with the third pick in June’s NBA Draft.

“I told him at halftime, ‘You must be pretty good if they didn’t take Robinson,’” Self said. “He said, ‘I know Robinson. I am good.’”

Chance to play

Self was able to receive an extended look at nine newcomers Sunday.

“I told them before the game, I said, ‘You guys have been sitting on the bench, saying, “If he’d just give me a chance, I’ll show him what I can do.”’ Well, they had a chance to show us tonight. The end result wasn’t pretty,” Self said. “It’s kind of a humbling deal for them, but they know now they’ve got to get back to work.”

So did any players perform well with their opportunity?

“I think Landen Lucas did some good things. I think Justin Wesley did some good things,” Self said. “Zach Peters rebounded the ball well. … Perry put up numbers, but Perry could have easily had 25 points and 20 rebounds tonight. He could have easily had that, because he just has a knack for scoring and rebounding.”

‘No excuses’

KU freshman guard Andrew White said playing Seraphin shouldn’t have made a difference.

“He was a really good player, strong inside. He could finish. But we’re going to see players as good as him,” White said. “No excuses. When we lost this game by so many points, I didn’t think about him at all.

Coach ‘T’ T’ed

Assistant Kurtis Townsend served as KU’s head coach for Sunday’s game, as Self let him take over duties to get some game experience.

While arguing a call in the fourth quarter, Townsend picked up a technical foul.

Comments

kusayzone 2 years ago

We the KU nation only have to wait to see how TRob will do. If these youngsters can pull it together and the veterans have the patience, this could be an interesting bunch. The only way you really learn is to make mistakes, and hopefully correct them.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

“We should have won this game regardless of who’s playing on our team, who’s playing on their team. That’s the expectation of this program. There’s no excuses.” (Andrew White)

OK - this dude just became my new favorite Jayhawk. Maybe ever.

Robin Smith 2 years ago

Yeah, I loved seeing this comment.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

If Bill had let Doc Sadler coach, things would have been a little different. No offense to Coach T. But, Doc is probably a little more intimidating to the players. Would Bill have been able to have been the X factor? Possibly. We'll never know. Personally,I feel to sit the veterans and turn the reins over to an Asst. Coach, was possibly a questionable move.

championhawks 2 years ago

How is this a questionable move? First, it gives an assistant the opportunity to get experience running the team as the head coach if we ever have to be a game or two without Self. Second, with so many new guys that do not have game experience, this was a great opportunity to see what they can do and give them experience against people who are not high school players.

Winning this game or getting beat by 20 was not the point of this trip. Obviously as KU fans we want to see them win every game, exhibition or not, but we want to see the benefits of this trip by being more prepared to play when early games like Mich. St. come up

Martin Rosenblum 2 years ago

The only team that doesn't have any interest in winning ANY game they step out on a court to compete in is the Washington Generals! Otherwise, there isn't a coach alive who doesn't want to win as the "point" of playing. Even our AFH exhibition games every year give the Emporia State coach and others a glimmer of hope that a victory is potentially, yet remotely possible. Otherwise, it would be suspect to schedule teams just for the payout. If spectators pay to attend a game, both teams should be there to compete to the best of their abilities, not roll over with excuses.

I do concede that it probably would have been a bad signal sent if Bill had let his other assistant coach take over and lose the first game and not let Townsend have his chance, even without the vets.

championhawks 2 years ago

If you don't think teams schedule games simply for the payout, you are mistaken. Especially in football, it is the only way some of those smaller schools can continue to fund their program. Those big payouts are what they count on. As an athlete, I'm sure those teams are going into the game competing and hoping for that upset that shocks everyone.

And I was not trying to say that Self didn't want to win these games. I am sure that he wants to win any time his team is out on the court. However, he is a pretty smart coach and had a reason behind doing what he did with sitting the vets. I was just making a point that I don't agree with calling it a questionable move just because we want to see KU win ever game, even if it is an exhibition.

Dirk Medema 2 years ago

It also sent an important message to the vet's who stunk up the place in the previous game.

Wise move all around from Coach Self. Wise move.

Ron Prichard 2 years ago

For what it's worth, as the director of basketball operations, I don't think Sadler can coach the players in a game or practice situation.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years ago

"Coach T T'ed"... Laughed really hard when I read that. Good work coach Townsend! haha

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

Not a big deal at all that KU lost. This was a throw-away game for KU. Bill Self sat his best players and forced the backups to play huge roles that none had ever really assumed before. It's hard to have the drive to win when your coach is knowingly sitting the best players (and letting someone else coach, nonetheless).

The problem with this is that the guys are still thinking "If he'd just give me a chance to play WITH THE OTHER STARTERS, I'll show him what I can do." It's far different to play with the 4 best players on the team as opposed to everyone else. I'm sure HCBS thinks that this was some great opportunity for the backups, but honestly I just see everyone being kind of bitter towards their coach for the preferential treatment (except the guys that got to sit, obviously). I agree with HCBS on almost everything, but to me this just seems like a waste of time and a hindrance to the team's morale (again, except for the guys that sat).

farnamjayhawk 2 years ago

Hindrance to the team's morale.......Really? He gave these guys a chance to play against NBA talent and see how they stack up. How is it hard to have drive to win just because the head coach sat the best players and let an assistant coach handle the coaching duties? This was a great learning experience for them and Coach Townsend. Very good move Coach Self

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

I definitely like the move to let Coach Townsend lead the team for a game. That's awesome, actually. But I think it was a bad move to give preferential treatment to the "stars" of the team. It's kinda like, "here's a throwaway exhibition game for you scrubs to get in on." It's not like they're all just so grateful for the opportunity to play against Kevin Seraphin. I know that I've been in groups where the "stars" didn't have to take part in what the rest of the "minions" were taking part in (I've been on both sides of that fence) and I know that it always feels a little condescending to the "minions" and makes the "stars" feel entitled. I just feel like the team would come together better if everyone feels like they're equally as important to the final goal - because it'll take everyone to get where KU wants to go, not just the "stars."

1jhawk2 2 years ago

Did Andrew White average 14pts per game? His attitude is awesome and hope he does very well for us.

DCLawHawk 2 years ago

Incredulous, ralster? Inigo Montoya would say, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

In any case, I think it's funny that HCBS says that he let Coach T coach, but then Self "told them before the game..." Sounds like he was doing plenty of coaching in this situation!

KansasComet 2 years ago

I think this Jayhawk team will succeed. The pieces are there. It is just going to take a little time to develop some chemistry. We have plenty of scoring and rebounding. We have guys that can defend. Once this team limits turnovers and roles are defined, this will be another great year of Kansas Basketball.

notjustbread 2 years ago

T got T'ed. Way to keep defending your players T.