Monday, August 13, 2012

NBA forward: Kansas post players ‘really good’

— Kevin Seraphin, who averaged 7.9 points and 4.9 rebounds for the Washington Wizards last year, said he was impressed by what he saw from Kansas’ young post players.

“They’re really good. They play with intensity,” Seraphin said. “They like to compete and fight. That was a good thing.”

KU freshman forward Landen Lucas said going against Seraphin was a fun challenge.

“It’s good, because really, in a couple years, that’s the kind of player I see myself being,” Lucas said. “He’s big and seals well, uses his body real well. So to be able to get out there and get a chance to bang against him was great.

“You always want to learn, especially from players like that. Just seeing the way he would use his body, I definitely learned. While I was on the bench, I definitely was watching him the whole time.”

Seraphin’s presence on Washington’s roster most likely was one reason the Wizards decided to pass up on former KU forward Thomas Robinson with the third pick in June’s NBA Draft.

“I told him at halftime, ‘You must be pretty good if they didn’t take Robinson,’” Self said. “He said, ‘I know Robinson. I am good.’”

Chance to play

Self was able to receive an extended look at nine newcomers Sunday.

“I told them before the game, I said, ‘You guys have been sitting on the bench, saying, “If he’d just give me a chance, I’ll show him what I can do.”’ Well, they had a chance to show us tonight. The end result wasn’t pretty,” Self said. “It’s kind of a humbling deal for them, but they know now they’ve got to get back to work.”

So did any players perform well with their opportunity?

“I think Landen Lucas did some good things. I think Justin Wesley did some good things,” Self said. “Zach Peters rebounded the ball well. … Perry put up numbers, but Perry could have easily had 25 points and 20 rebounds tonight. He could have easily had that, because he just has a knack for scoring and rebounding.”

‘No excuses’

KU freshman guard Andrew White said playing Seraphin shouldn’t have made a difference.

“He was a really good player, strong inside. He could finish. But we’re going to see players as good as him,” White said. “No excuses. When we lost this game by so many points, I didn’t think about him at all.

Coach ‘T’ T’ed

Assistant Kurtis Townsend served as KU’s head coach for Sunday’s game, as Self let him take over duties to get some game experience.

While arguing a call in the fourth quarter, Townsend picked up a technical foul.

Comments

notjustbread 1 year, 8 months ago

T got T'ed. Way to keep defending your players T.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

I think this Jayhawk team will succeed. The pieces are there. It is just going to take a little time to develop some chemistry. We have plenty of scoring and rebounding. We have guys that can defend. Once this team limits turnovers and roles are defined, this will be another great year of Kansas Basketball.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting comments regarding Self sitting his starters. Its his team. His call. If he thinks this little maneuver can be a teaching point in a non-record-impacting loss, then so be it. I recall posters lamenting in recent seasons about "why doesnt Self do mass-substitutions like Roy did" due to poor play. Well you saw the closest thing, although I recall often he has 4 guys at the scorers table (not last year), when the depth is appropriate. Just like politics, cant please everybody all of the time, I guess...(Even after the National Championship in '08, there were still a couple of devil's advocate types sounding some alarm about 1 missed Davidson shot, or no Rush/no champs). That was incredulous. I vote for letting the winningest Div1 coach the last 6yrs running continue to do whatever he sees fit, eh? Am I really going to suggest him what to do? (speaking for myself: no I am not.)

1jhawk2 1 year, 8 months ago

Did Andrew White average 14pts per game? His attitude is awesome and hope he does very well for us.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Not a big deal at all that KU lost. This was a throw-away game for KU. Bill Self sat his best players and forced the backups to play huge roles that none had ever really assumed before. It's hard to have the drive to win when your coach is knowingly sitting the best players (and letting someone else coach, nonetheless).

The problem with this is that the guys are still thinking "If he'd just give me a chance to play WITH THE OTHER STARTERS, I'll show him what I can do." It's far different to play with the 4 best players on the team as opposed to everyone else. I'm sure HCBS thinks that this was some great opportunity for the backups, but honestly I just see everyone being kind of bitter towards their coach for the preferential treatment (except the guys that got to sit, obviously). I agree with HCBS on almost everything, but to me this just seems like a waste of time and a hindrance to the team's morale (again, except for the guys that sat).

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

"Coach T T'ed"... Laughed really hard when I read that. Good work coach Townsend! haha

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 8 months ago

If Bill had let Doc Sadler coach, things would have been a little different. No offense to Coach T. But, Doc is probably a little more intimidating to the players. Would Bill have been able to have been the X factor? Possibly. We'll never know. Personally,I feel to sit the veterans and turn the reins over to an Asst. Coach, was possibly a questionable move.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

“We should have won this game regardless of who’s playing on our team, who’s playing on their team. That’s the expectation of this program. There’s no excuses.” (Andrew White)

OK - this dude just became my new favorite Jayhawk. Maybe ever.

kusayzone 1 year, 8 months ago

We the KU nation only have to wait to see how TRob will do. If these youngsters can pull it together and the veterans have the patience, this could be an interesting bunch. The only way you really learn is to make mistakes, and hopefully correct them.