French Club team defeats Kansas, 74-73

• 1 p.m., Aug. 11, 2012
  • Paris, France,

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Euro-trashed: KU ‘humbled’ by French

Kansas' Jamari Traylor scores as teammate Zach Peters looks on during an exhibition between KU and AMW Team France on Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at the Coubertin Stadium in Paris.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self wasn’t in the mood to discuss moral victories following the Jayhawks’ 74-73 exhibition loss to AMW Team France on Saturday at Stade Pierre do Coubertin.

“You’ve got four returning guys that have been told for three months how great they are and all this and all that. Hey, they were humbled,” Self said of returning rotation players Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey, Travis Releford and Kevin Young. “All of them got their butts handed to them by pro players in France.

“So if you think you’re an NBA guy, and you can’t handle a guy in France, then probably you’re not an NBA guy. So they’ve all been humbled. They know now they’ve got to get to work, because that was a good water in the face for all of us to know that, ‘Hey, nobody cares what happened last year.’”

KU ended a 41-game exhibition win streak that stretched back to 1995 with the loss, though the Jayhawks still had their chances to win at the end.

After trailing by as many as 10 in the second half, KU turned to its playmaker, Young, who came through with the Jayhawks’ biggest play for the third straight game.

Off a quick feed from Johnson, Young put in a baseline slam with 22 seconds left to give the Jayhawks a 73-72 lead.

After a timeout, Team France’s Diot Antoine was fouled on a drive by Zach Peters with 6.1 seconds left and made both free throws.

On KU’s final possession, Johnson drove the length of the floor before kicking out to Naadir Tharpe for an open three-pointer on the left wing.

The shot hit front iron before bouncing away.

“I thought it was going to go in. As many shots as I didn’t shoot well tonight … I felt like that last shot that I shot was going to be able to go in,” said Tharpe, who scored eight points on 4-for-11 shooting from the floor and 0-for-5 from three. “But it didn’t fall. I’m going to get another chance to shoot that shot, and I’m going to be ready to knock it down.”

KU played once again without freshman guard Ben McLemore, who continues to be hampered by a sore groin.

Self still wasn’t taking it easy on his guys.

“We’re not very good at all. We can improve on everything,” Self said. “I would just like to be able to pass and dribble and catch. That would be a good starting point. Forget about shooting or guarding or anything.”

KU had 27 turnovers, compared to 23 for AMW.

Self was so frustrated with his returning players that he started the second half — KU led, 36-34, at the break — with a lineup of that included walk-ons Evan Manning and Niko Roberts.

“To be honest with you, I just thought that our main guys were so bad they didn’t deserve to play,” Self said. “I really thought that if we hadn’t have played some of those guys, we would have had a chance to have had a bigger lead at halftime. Obviously, we had to play them to have a chance to win the game, but I wasn’t happy with any of them. I didn’t think any of them played worth a flip.”

Johnson, who finished with five points on 2-for-10 shooting to go with four assists and two turnovers, said his coach’s assessment of the veterans was accurate.

“A lot of people go against the grain, or a lot of people just say what they think they should say in the interview. But I personally agree with him,” Johnson said. “He’s setting standards right now. Last year, he set standards, and it got us second place, which disappointed our whole state.

“So I understand everything he’s doing and setting standards and wanting more out of us, because he knows he can get more out of us. So why not test us? Why just say, ‘Hey, it’s OK, Travis. It’s OK, Elijah. It’s OK, Jeff. We lost. It’s OK.’ It’s not OK.”

The Jayhawks, which fell to 2-1 on their exhibition trip, will face AMW Team France again at 1 p.m. today (Central time) in the final game of their European tour.

Self believes his team can play better than it showed Saturday.

“We weren’t ready to play,” Self said. “Maybe Paris can do that to you.”

Comments

LHS1980 2 years, 4 months ago

First on the West coast! Big time motivation.

Eric Mitchell 2 years, 4 months ago

skragglydoo isn't much better to be honest with you.

s6u6r6f 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, should have gone with "Froggered." Rock chalk.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

A one point loss to a pro team in a foreign country on a bad shooting day.

Whew!

Disgraceful. :-)

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

But who is your message for or to, Bill Self? Bill is the only one that seems furious about this, he is mr. tough love I guess.

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

. . . I just think he may have been a little too tough with the NBA stuff, brutally honest.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if it was "too" tough, but I agree his NBA comment was very tough. Surprisingly so.

I was surprised by the comment not because he ripped his players (nothing new there), but because he kinda ripped the French team.

He basically said: "KU team < French team < any NBA team"

It's true, but definitely not PC. That's why I love HCBS, though.

duanep5ku 2 years, 4 months ago

I as much as anyone that's a Kansas fan,hate's a loss and I don't care if it's only an exhibition game or not. As far as the game goes as Jaybate says in his short post. He says it all, it's a 1 point loss to their pro team. The positive the loss means nothing as far as how the over all season will go,so it's a loss not a big deal at this point. I do have some concern but can we really base how this team will play this season based on our exhibition games,no in my opinion.

So let them have fun and enjoy the trip Kansas fans but. I could also say the good news this team as much as any Kansas fan does hates losing any game. This game can be a nice reality check that will help benefit this team later,say when practice really start's for them.

It was only an exhibition game, the team did not practice or work on defense prior to the trip and we all know that our coach want's defense. Ok that's just my take on the bad play so far in the games.

Ku fans this should be a great season for the Basketball team, cross your fingers that it will be and let's all enjoy the ride. Ok lets also turn some of our Basketball fever over to the team that needs it the most the Kansas football team. I for one can not wait to see this new look hopefully, team on the field this season. The team needs all the support it can get, fans can't wait for what should be a fun,new attitude football team,lets win. Then enjoy the more reliable winners the basketball team.

I just want to say,Go Jayhawks because it's time to start winning on the football field again as well as the basketball team,fun year a head fans,enjoy the ride.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

""" ... it's a 1 point loss to their pro team."""

News for you – their national team was in London (and made the final eight with injured point guard). This AMW bunch is a summer pick-up team.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Kevin Young once again gives life to the cause as a close game winds down....

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Am curious about Tharpe's assist to turnover ratio for this game. We are beginning to know that he can clang.

yovoy 2 years, 4 months ago

9Assists:2Turns - pretty good, but his shooting was (as was EJ's) pretty bad.

I like that Coach is pushing buttons on them, but that was a winnable game.

I'm glad that Kevin Young is such a gamer. I mean, the guy sat for a year before playing last year. He's an intangibles guy. I love watching him play. He always seems to be in the right spot for something to go good for him and the team.

ajhk 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill: ...not too concerned about winning or losing, its more about having fun and seeing the sights. ...don't care about defense, just want to get the hoop through the basket a few times, we'll start the real coaching later. ...don't need to put together a certain lineup, just need to get all the guys some playing time and the coaches some coaching time ...just relax guys, this is just a sightseeing trip for fun and bonding... WHHHAAAAM!!

Ok, nevermind. Kids, run for cover! Let the real coaching commence!

Had to have a loss, had to. Now time to start teasing them out.

Real tricky, you old Bill.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Love this comment. So true.

Bill Self is a master motivator / strategist. Over the past ten years, I've learned that almost 100% of his words to the media are carefully calculated to serve his goals.

He put plans in place for this contingency weeks ago.

Get after 'em, Bill!

ajhk 2 years, 4 months ago

...to get the BALL through the basket... oops!

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

You've lived up to your namesakes with this one.

If there was ever a game to have a team experience the agony of defeat, this would be the best I can think of. Now, if they come back today and pull out a victory, they'll instantly forget about the defeat and will need to be reminded by HCBS for quite some time and with constant reviewing of the tape.

doolindalton 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought this was one of those tours where we just going to let the kids play together and get used to competing as a team and the results didn't matter. Guess not.

chriz 2 years, 4 months ago

Has there been a better interview in recent KU history than Elijah Johnson? Man, he's great for an honest quote. And he does it tactfully without saying anything stupid. That's an incredible skill.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 4 months ago

Naadir is someone who could be a Jayhawk star. All he has to do is take every scream and benching like he did last year. See a sports shrink about getting rid of turnovers. We were all led to believe that Rio and Doyle were going to make you a forgotton name, yet here you are on the court at crunch taking the last shot. Take care of the ball and you will play. Things might be different when the season starts, but I already feel better about you contributing this year. You had 3 out of 4 good games in the Tournament. You are now EJ's backup. Can you keep the job?

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

I have no idea how good these teams are. The fact they are pro means nothing. The better French players would be playing on the Olympics. Given all the new players, it is great they get this opportunity to play together so early.

Brian Powell 2 years, 4 months ago

(Tharpe) told ya so!

Disappointed that EJ jacked so many missed 3s.. I guess if they were open, he needs to take them, but I didn't see the game.

In the end the results in Europe don't really matter -- get a loss or two, compete hard as a team, gel, learn, get back up. It makes for a much better preseason than rolling some D2 teams at AFH.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Really? Don't get me wrong. I'm an EJ fan. But the guy missed more open shots last season than anyone I have seen in a long time.

phlhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

What jayhawkinATL said - first medal in basketball for Russia, and Sasha's part of it! Congrats!

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

"""- first medal in basketball for Russia,"""

I guess you didn't watch the Munich games in '72. When the refs gave them three chances at the last shot ... On second thought, though, that wasn't 'Russia' – it was the Soviet Union, with half the players from Lithuania and Latvia.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 4 months ago

Did anyone else catch either article about Jabari Parker cutting his list to KU, MSU, and Duke? My bet is he's a MSU guy with Coach K coming close. Sonny Parker has recently denied the accuracy of the article out of the Detroit Free Press but it could be interesting. I never expected KU to be that close. Word has it J.P. is a huge fan of Coach Self.

TwistedFish31 2 years, 4 months ago

The Spanish basketball players love to perform that wussy European soccer writhing-in-pain-flop-acting.

bennybob 2 years, 4 months ago

"After trailing by as many as 10 in the second half, KU turned to its playmaker, Young"

If Kevin Young is this teams playmaker, its gonna be a long season

bennybob 2 years, 4 months ago

Because that means there's 2 potential lottery picks and 5 total future pros on the roster that all have to be playing below expectations for Kevin Young to be making the biggest plays for the team.

If this team is going to need KY to consistently make big plays for them to be competitive something is very wrong.

packywacky88 2 years, 4 months ago

Young stepping up and making plays is gonna be HUGE for us next year. What a bonus for Self.

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, because end-of-game playmakers ALWAYS have to be the team's primary star(s)...

Just don't tell that to Big Shot Bob. Or any number of NBA players that have carved out a niche of being clutch when it matters, but nowhere near their team's best player.

This is even more true in college basketball.

You need to put aside the ESPN SportsCenter mentality.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 4 months ago

hilarious headline. gotta love any reference to Eurotrash! lol

Aligned 2 years, 4 months ago

Really? I found it to be stupid and in poor taste.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Any chance someone dropped a letter from "thrashed"? After today, it seems kind of likely.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I laughed.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

Looking at Zach Peters play, I got to thinking of one of his Freshmen team mates last year at Prestonwood Christian Academy, Mickey Mitchell. Put his name in Google and drool!!

Is he going to be KU's number one commitment in 2015?

I don't know how Prestonwood ever loses.

pepper_bar 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, the "Euro-trashed" thing is a bit stupid, since "Eurotrash" is a term generally used to describe foppish European hipsters. France clearly was manlier than Kansas in this game, so the term is ironic at best, but whatever.

If KU loses again today, perhaps the LJW should consider using the term "Ugly Americans" to describe the Jayhawks.

Helen Gross 2 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know if KU is going to sell half seasons this year for basketball?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

WOW!!! Boot camp is going to be brutal this year with all the ammo Coach Self has accumulated from the European Tour!!

"Forget about shooting or guarding or anything."...Brutal!!

Brian Conrad 2 years, 4 months ago

Self knows Exactly what he wants here . this were complete teaching games.. he did not even play 4 starters for the season . love he is getting his point across fast.. also was happy with the 5th starter / Ellis putting up double double. Kevin Young already looks like the go to guy when we need one. by the start of the real season these guys will be great. love they got this in for plenty of time to get them ready. go Hawks ! this is a number 1 seed team by feb. these guys will be rolling .