Thursday, August 9, 2012

KU football announces home-and-home series with Rutgers

The Kansas University football program on Thursday announced that a deal had been completed for a home-and-home series with Rutgers.

KU will travel to Piscataway, N.J., in 2015 and the Scarlet Knights will play in Lawrence in 2018.

The 2015 home game for Rutgers is scheduled for Sept. 26, in High Point Solutions Stadium, while the Jayhawks will host a return game with the Scarlet Knights in Memorial Stadium on Sept. 15, 2018.

“Having grown up in Middlesex (N.J.) I was intrigued to hear we were in discussions to play Rutgers,” KU coach Charlie Weis said. “I have always pulled for people from New Jersey, including the State University, Rutgers. I am excited about this home-and-home series, although I’m afraid of how many tickets I’m going to have to purchase.”

KU will open the 2012 season at 6 p.m. on Sept. 1 with a home game against South Dakota State.

Comments

wats211 1 year, 8 months ago

when you go into to camden nj...home of great talent..ala..mike rozier and irving fryar...its nice to tell a kid,,,hey be got a game in new brubswick ..so all your friends and family and come watch you in action..duh...watch weis and sit and learn something..he is a garry kasporov..he just got snake bit at nd..nobody can out think weis..nobody

wats211 1 year, 8 months ago

Rutgers will quickly become a cupcake...and the east coast exposure and jersey man weis and the nyc media...it can only help recruiting...the rutgers home and home is all about recruiting..so when weis goes to recruit a kid back there he can say ..look ..we are going to play here and your relatives can come and watch...duh...charlie weis knows what he is doing...he is the greatest football coach to ever come here...he knows it all...get your season tickets now people..next year..you won't be able to get any

JHWKDW 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully Rutgers,UConn, and U Cincy will be in the Big 1G in the near future, and the Big Least will be gone like a fart in the wind!

willie_fu_fu 1 year, 8 months ago

KU is also has a verbal home and home scheduled with Memphis in 2015 and 2016. KU to play @ Duke in 2014.

wlbjayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting. As a NJ resident, KU grad, and an RU grad I am looking forward to this game, even though it is 3 years away, and I will be 70 when the game is played. BUT, even though I have degrees from both schools, I have NEVER rooted for Rutgers in anything. SO, from this loyal, and devoted KU Alum, ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK, GO KU...beat the scarlet knights.

JHWKDW 1 year, 8 months ago

This is supposed to be something good really?Playing teams in a loser conference like the Big LEast!How about playing teams in the Pac-12,Big 1G,ACC,or even a team in the Mountain West is better than the Big LEast!

Not too excited about this one!

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 8 months ago

How can one call it a non conference game if Rutgers become apart of the Big 12 by then ?? SEC has demanded in a article that the Big 12 has to expand to 12 teams by 2014 before it can play in the Bowl Game between the two division Champs !!

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 8 months ago

Great scheduling....keep it coming

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 1 year, 8 months ago

2018? Wow, that's a ways out.

My 2-year old boy will be freaking 8 by then.

lol

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

I must say that I liked the fact that Mangino liked Cupcakes, I was hoping Weis did too, especially when we have one of the top 5 hardest schedules in conference on an ongoing basis. Five teams in the top 20, that's hard enough.

april28 1 year, 8 months ago

Can't get my Reply link to work.....Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who has watched Kansas football over the last 30 years has seen this all before. This is a bad mistake. I'm shocked that Sheahon has fallen into the same trap as so many before him.

tbbucboy21 1 year, 8 months ago

yesssssss KU on the east coast!!!! cant wait idk who would not like this, it is going to be alot of fun

april28 1 year, 8 months ago

Sheahon's first mistake. This absolutely perplexes me.

We should play nothing but cupcakes until we've had a 10-year streak of bowl games. This program is delicate, to put it mildly. Take 3 easy wins, every single year unless we go to a two-division format. Even with 3 non-con cupcakes, we have to win 4 conference games a year to get a respectable record.

Cancel this contract as soon as possible. Give me a healthy diet of directional schools for the next 10 years.

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

Should be Chris Cristie, mea culpa!

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

Should be plenty of home folks for the game in Piscataway: Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious, Housewives of New Jersey, Mommas Boys of the Bronx, Long Island Medium and throw in The Situation and the obnoxious governor Charlie Christ. Whats the world coming to, and don't forget to leave some time for The Shoore!

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 8 months ago

Half Full clevelandjayhawker fearthephog512

Half Empty dstnku34 dallashawk05

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish the sites were reversed....might keep charlie here till 2018 if he had an upcoming road game at NJ. Great team to be playing though, I like the agreement, hopefully in 3 years and in 7 years we are a top 25 team

Pitthawk34 1 year, 8 months ago

We get a homegame in 2018 and they have it in 2015...What sort of deal is that. They are in the Big East for crying out loud.

Chris1955 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder how tickets Jimmy Hoffa will want?

dstnku34 1 year, 8 months ago

Who's going to be the head coach for the game in Lawrence?