Thursday, August 9, 2012

Big 12 announces men’s conference basketball schedule

KU to open versus Iowa State on Jan. 9 in Allen Fieldhouse

The Big 12 Conference today released the schedule for the upcoming 2012-13 men's basketball season.

KU will open against Iowa State at 6 p.m., Central time, on Jan. 9 in Allen Fieldhouse.

Here's KU's conference schedule. ...

Wednesday, Jan. 9: Iowa State, 6 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPNU).

Saturday, Jan. 12: at Texas Tech, 3 p.m (Big 12 network).

Monday, Jan. 14: Baylor, 8 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPN).

Saturday, Jan. 19: at Texas, 1 p.m (CBS).

Tuesday, Jan. 22: at Kansas State, 7 p.m (Big 12 network).

Saturday, Jan. 26: Oklahoma, 3 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPN).

Monday, Jan. 28: at West Virginia, 8 p.m (ESPN).

Saturday, Feb. 2: Oklahoma State, 3 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (Big12 network).

Wednesday, Feb. 6: at TCU, 6 p.m. (ESPNU).

Saturday, Feb. 9: at Oklahoma, 3 p.m (ESPN or ESPNU).

Monday, Feb. 11: Kansas State, 8 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPN).

Saturday, Feb. 16: Texas, 8 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPN).

Wednesday, Feb. 20: at Oklahoma State, 8 p.m (ESPN2).

Saturday, Feb. 23: TCU, 3 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (Big 12 network).

Monday, Feb. 25: at Iowa State, 8 p.m. (ESPN).

Saturday, March 2: West Virginia, 1 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (CBS).

Monday, March 4: Texas Tech, 6 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse (ESPNU).

Saturday, March 9: at Baylor, 5 p.m. (ESPN).

Big 12 tournament: March 13-16, Sprint Center, Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

closing the season at baylor could be a huge game. the tough strech is Jan14th to Feb 16th' 10 games in a little over a month that will def challenge us. Will be great to watch them fight through this stretch of games, will def help get us ready for the tourney. Rock Chalk

Joe Satterwhite 2 years, 2 months ago

Totally agree...that game may have some regular season title implications on the line as well

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

Last year they were 4 games back, the year before they didn't have a winning record in conference, and the year before that they were 4 games back. I think of a lot of threats in the Big XII, but Baylor is not one of them. I would say they have to win or tie for a Big XII crown before they are considered a threat.

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 2 months ago

They were four games back because there were two Final Four threats in the conference above them. That said, I think West Virginia is going to be a bigger threat this season than Baylor.

Gary Bedore 2 years, 2 months ago

Once again, on paper, KU has a chance to get off to a quick 2-0 start which is important heading into the Baylor/Texas/K-State games. KU will be heavily favored in the first two. Nothing's guaranteed, but how many games in a row do you folks see KU winning to open the conference season? I think last year KU rattled off 7 in a row.

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm being idealistic, but I just can't EVER find myself admitting any basketball defeat for us, particularly after last season. Do I think we'll go undefeated in conference play (?), although that's an incredibly tall order, I have to say a resounding "YES". Of all the teams in our conference, I'm actually as concerned with ISU, particularly in Ames, as any game. Obviously Texas will be tough, but I think that this season is shaping up to be something very special. That's all I have to say about that!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 2 months ago

I see the first six as wins and then possibly a loss at West Virginia. Texas will be tough, but I think we will be jacked for that game. Coach Self will not let this team lose against KSU this year. I'm guessing he wants to beat Weber so bad he goes home and curls up in a fetal position sucking his thumb mumbling something about the boogie man. Baylor and ISU will be tough early games, but I just can't see us losing to either of them in AFH. So, I'm going to say 6-0 to start the conference schedule.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Honestly, I think Bruthie is more the thumb-sucking type.

escaped_labrat 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow, I'm still coming to grips with "Big12Network"? When did this come about or am I misinterpreting something?

escaped_labrat 2 years, 2 months ago

Nevermind, I just read it's really just ESPN changing the name on their station to package it as the Big12 Network

PickleFuzz 2 years, 2 months ago

Anyone if KU is going to sell half season tickets this year? Thanks!

notjustbread 2 years, 2 months ago

Looks loot at each Big 12 road game, because I am assuming we will hold at home every time. at Texas Tech- KU by double digits-- at Texas - big environment for newbies - loss by 8-- at Kansas State- KU dominance -- at West Virginia - Win and let's get some east coast Jayhawks to show up there and show the freshmen our committment level as fans-- at TCU - KU win by 20 -- at Oklahoma - KU wins so big every player, even Manning, gets more than 3 minutes of PT-- at Oklahoma State - Okie ball holds on by a thread stall most of the game as the shot clock is on the fritz that night-- at Iowa State - Hilton magic exposed...KU by 3 -- at Baylor - high flyiing bears beat us on the boards by 12 and we lose by 9

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 2 months ago

Beyond that last game, the conference schedule is really more "front loaded". Granted, the road game on a Monday at Iowa State is not a cake walk but overall, the last six are not as hard as the six before them...

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

is this a dream, our divorce is finalized!

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

Will be fun to play against Huggy Bear again...

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

The first game with Huggo Muggo will be big. A dominant submissive relationship needs to be established immediately. KU dominant.

At the same time, welcome to our new eastern anchor for post election expansion of the B12 TV footprint into the eastern time zone and expansion of Northeast branch of the super corridor. Regional infrastructure alliance here we come...if Mitt gets the nod. :-)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully, my good friend, Wilbur Nether, will invite me to the ESPN Gameday, Saturday, Feb. 16th against Texas.

Tough call since that game falls smack dab between Valentine's Day and my wonderful wife's birthday!!

Still, you gotta have your priorities, right!!??

Cmill1221 2 years, 2 months ago

It's strange. The first thing I was looking for was when we play missouri. It was always fun pounding on that but the way it ended, that's ok with me! =D

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

A minor gripe to be sure, but two years in a row now our biggest rivalry KSU is relegated to Big12 network. That should always be a national game, The game at KSU is always great theater, they're pumped up to play their best game of the year, their crowd fanatical, and we either walk away with a hard fought victory or give the nation what they want to see, a highly ranked team losing.

We always get to see the other truebloods top rivals, Kentucky-Tenn/Louisville, Duke-UNC, etc. We are in the same elite echelon with those teams so why aren't we treated the same?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Because KSU isn't in the same echelon of Tennesse, Louisville, UNC, etc. I've thought about this a lot too, especially since now KSU is probably our top rival in the conference. But the rivalry is so one-sided that it's not really seen as a "rivalry" in the national media. For those of us that live here, it's pretty intense because we all have friends/family that are KSU fans and there is a lot of smack talk. But to everyone else, it's not so much a "great rivalry game" as it is a major shock if KSU wins in Manhattan (because we all know what happens in Lawrence).

Hammertoe 2 years, 2 months ago

You have to live through the embarrassment of football season to get to basketball season. Not many places in the country are talking about basketball right now. Embarrassment was having your student section filled with K-State students at the Football game in lawrence last year. The football game in Manhattan will be watched by more people nationally than any bball game in the winter. That's life...

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Cameltoe: You have a nice football team. Better than ours right now. Snyder is perhaps the best college coach ever. The difference here is that we have a blue blood, elite basketball program. Your football program is ok. Your football program's success is tied to one coach. And even then, you're just pretty good. Our football program .. emphasis on "program" .. is much closer to yours, than your basketball "program" is to ours. You're an also-ran in basketball.

And something you don't understand. Embarrassment is a feeling. We aren't embarrassed by football. We tolerate it until the real season begins. See, you have never had what we have. And you never will.

We are elite in basketball. A top 3 program of all time. Always in the national discussion.

And remember, KSU has been to one BCS bowl. One. And how long ago was that? Funny, we have one, too .. just four years ago.

Like MU, you'd like to think you are football school. But until you actually win something of consequence, you're just KSU. That's it. An exercise of irrelevance.