Sunday, April 29, 2012

Seabury losing standout Khadre Lane to FSHS

Bishop Seabury freshman Khadre Lane throws down a two handed slam off an ally-oop pass during the opening seconds against Midland Adventist Academy Thursday, Jan 6, 2011 in Lawrence.

College basketball recruiting roundup ...

Lawrence basketball standout Khadre Lane has confirmed in a direct Facebook message to the Journal-World that he has transferred from Seabury Academy to Free State High.

Lane, a 6-foot-4 junior-to-be who averaged 18.3 points and 6.0 rebounds last season at Seabury, plays for KC Run GMC, formerly known as KC Pump N Run AAU. Still early in the recruiting process, Lane most recently has heard from Nebraska. He’s projected to be a mid-major to major-college recruit, with his next school year to be crucial in terms of his development.

“Lane is an extremely athletic player who hasn’t quite honed in his skills just yet, and with so much length on the opposing team, Lane struggled to get clean looks at the basket,” Rivals.com’s John Holihan wrote from last weekend’s Jayhawk Invitational in Gardner. “The Lawrence native can flat-out jump out of the gym and is beginning to become a much more household name with colleges across the country.”

Future Kansas University small forward Brannen Greene, a 6-7, 200-pound senior-to-be from Mary Persons High, in Forsyth, Ga., played well for the Florida Rams last weekend in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions AAU event in Suwanee, Ga.

“Greene proved why he’s the top-ranked player in Georgia and why he had so many powerhouse basketball programs fighting over him before committing to Kansas,” Rivals.com’s Dan McDonald wrote over the weekend. “He possesses one of the purest strokes in the country and has really worked on rounding out the rest of his game since this time last year.”

Noted Eric Bossi of Rivals.com: “Greene is a physical wing with deep range.”

Greene, who is ranked No. 31 in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com, is an AAU teammate of Chris Walker, a 6-9, 220-pound senior-to-be from Holmes County High in Bonifay, Fla.

The No. 6 prospect in the class of 2013 has a list of KU, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio State, Baylor, Louisville and others.

“It doesn’t take long to see why Walker had Bill Self and Billy Donovan watching him this weekend,” wrote McDonald. “He’s a legit 6-10, very athletic, and very good around the rim. Whenever he gets the ball within a few feet of the basket, he’s most likely going to score and more than likely it’s a powerful two-handed slam.”

KU’s Self, who had a busy weekend, also attended the Nike EYBL event in Hampton, Va. He watched some games of Boo Williams teammates Allerik Freeman and Anthony “Cat” Barber, who are ranked Nos. 25 and 13 respectively in the Class of 2013.

Freeman, a 6-4, 210-pound senior-to-be shooting guard from Olympic High in Charlotte, N.C., likes KU, Duke, UCLA, Ohio State and Villanova. Freeman has been compared to NBA standout Deron Williams, who played for Self at Illinois.

Barber, 6-2, 165 senior-to-be point guard from Hampton (Va.) High, lists KU, Kentucky, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Providence, Virginia, Virginia Tech and others.

Julius Randle, 6-8, 235-pound senior-to-be small forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, competed at the EYBL Hampton tourney for the Texas Titans. The No. 3 player in the Class of 2013, who was a high school teammate of incoming KU power forward Zach Peters, has mentioned KU, Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, N.C. State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas.

He told Tar Heel Illustrated he may wait until next spring to decide.

“You see coaches come and go all the time, you don’t know what players are going to be there. You want to make sure the place you’re going to fits your style and its the best place for you. You want to have a trustworthy relationship with your coach,” Randle said.

The No. 1-rated player in the Class of 2013, Jabari Parker, played for Mac Irvin Fire last weekend at the EYBL tourney. The 6-7, 215-pounder out of Chicago’s Simeon High has a list of KU, Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State, Illinois, DePaul, North Carolina and Northwestern.

Also competing at Hampton EYBL was James Young, a 6-5, 200-pound senior-to-be from Troy (Mich.) High, who plays for Detroit’s The Family. The country’s No 9 prospect says Kentucky is his favorite with KU, Providence, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and Missouri on his list.

Rivals.com says KU has offered a scholarship to senior-to-be Tyler Roberson, a 6-7, 190-pound small forward from Roselle Catholic in Roselle, N.J. The country’s No. 34-rated player has listed KU, Syracuse, Connecticut, Louisville, N.C. State, and others. Also, KU has reportedly offered Chris McCullough, a 6-8, 200-pound junior-to-be from Salisbury (Conn.) School. The country’s No. 10-rated player in 2014 also likes UConn, St. John’s, Syracuse, Memphis, Arizona and many others.

Comments

Alohahawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Seems like KU has offered half of the top 10 in the 2013 class. Also, Zagsblog.com has a recent article stating Coach Self is interested in 2013 recruit, Jermaine Lawrence (6' 10" forward) from New Jersey. Currently, Rivals ranks him #64.

Michael Pannacciulli 6 years, 10 months ago

Providence has been showing up on guys lists lately. These guys have lengthy lists. I like Julius' approach. By the time he decides the landscape will be totally different...smart kid. Hope he comes to KU.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

I've heard Lane is the most athletic kid in the country at his position, but needs a lot of toughening up. This is a smart move for him. He needs better competition game in game out.

nb4ku 6 years, 10 months ago

You hit the nail on the head jhox. My son's team played Seabury this year. Lane, along with the rest of their team, is soft. He has a ton of athletic ability, but they were basically an AAU team playing high school ball. This is a great move on his part. He will at least learn how to run an offense instead of just running down the court and firing up a shot.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 10 months ago

Lane has a number of D-1 schools very interested in him. Bedore makes it sound like Nebraska is the only one which is flat out not true.

It's good to hear he is finally going to Free State. He needs to develop so much more to be a high D-1 major potential.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 10 months ago

"the most athletic kid in the country at his position" really? I mean, really? That's quite a statement. I hope two things: it's true and it's KU.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

I can't vouch for that, I've not seen him play, but heard it from someone who watches him regularly and who has seen virtually all of the top ranked guys nationally, and whose opinion I respect.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad 6 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone read Andy Katz article on IU/UK maybe canceling the series? Apparently Calipari doesn't want home and home games, he wants them at bigger stadiums. Sounds a little like UK chasing the almighty dollar. Good thing is Crean is not backing down. IU fans seem to want the series to happen against Kansas more than keeping the one against UK. I would love to see Cal out of that game and if Roy would come around I would like to see UK/UNC cancelled and KU/UNC started.

REHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Even though our recent squad struggled early vs. a tough schedule, it appeared to pay big dividends come league contests and down the stretch. Home and home with Indiana and NC would be splendid (if Roy could manage to bite that bullet).

Chris Shaw 6 years, 10 months ago

UNC will never happen especially after getting destroyed twice now in the NCAA tournament.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

I remember Roy having us in the preseason NIT on a regular basis. He's never shied away from early tough competition but getting UNC and Kansas to play probably will never happen.

I do remember Kansas and Indiana having multi-year scheduling... that would be nice to see happen again.

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

I would love to see an annual series with Indiana start up. I would also love to see one with UNC, but that'll never happen as long as Roy is there. Crean has turned IU into a power once again and would be a great early season test for KU every year.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

Indiana vs KU annually would be great for KU. Indiana typically has some of the top high school basketball talent in the country. Indianapolis is a hot bed of high level AAU teams and high school talent. It would not be a bad state to play in every couple of years. Not to mention the relative proximity to the Chicago area and Ohio.

While I'd probably rather see KU-Kentucky play every year, the fact is that KU-Indiana would probably benefit the program more. Or, if not Indiana, KU-Ohio State would make a nice annual rivalry.

Rybarns 6 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know why KU hasn't offered Semi Ojelye from Ottawa a scholarship yet? He's ranked in the top-40 (and climbing) for 2013, and he's 20 minutes from campus. Coach Self always talks about how Lawrence is at a recruiting disadvantage because there aren't good local kids, but this kid can play, just as Willie Cauley can, and KU didn't really pursue either.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 10 months ago

Not all kids want to go to KU. In regards to Cauley, his situation is different fom Ojelye's. Cauley never wanted to go KU, his family didn't want him to go to KU, so therefore Self never pursued him. Cauley's family supposedly had a big influence on that decision.

Semi has been to some games, been on campus, so I don't think KU and Self haven't gone after him, I think his brother being at K-State has had some influence as well. Don't know the whole story on Ojelye though. Seems like a gifted player though.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Chris, just wondering if you had any insight on why Willie and his family were so against Kansas.

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

Called our fanbase arrogant, but ended up choosing Kentucky?

Riiiiiiight.

He might be dead-on in his assessment of KU fans, but to imply (by his school choice) that UK fans aren't arrogant is about the funniest thing I've ever heard. Pretty sure there's not a more arrogant fanbase in all of college basketball.

Sounds like he was raised in a KSU or MU household and has a distaste for the University of Kansas as a general rule. Or he's just an antagonistic a**hat.

BillSelf4Prez 6 years, 10 months ago

Willie Cauley is terrible. I'm not even sure that he averaged a double-double against not very tough Sunflower League competition, and he didn't even make first team all Sunflower last year. He is just going to be another bench warmer for the cheaters.

Mick Allen 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you 100%. Saw him play twice and I couldn't believe calipari had any interest. Played like he was 6 ft. 3in. instead of 6 10. Took plays off, no go to moves and seemed very soft. Saw him play football too as a 6 10 wideout. Caught a long touchdown pass and outran the entire Lawrence High secondary. the Sunflower League is not that good a basketball league nationally and the kid couldn't even make all league. I think Calipari recruited him for his "upside" and to take an in state kid from KU. Coach Self didn't care, as we weren't that interested. Cauley made no significant improvement from his junior year to his senior year.

ByourSELF 6 years, 10 months ago

Cauley is actually a really good player when motivated. I had the chance to watch him play in Texas during the Nike EYBO tournament and he was really good. That kid probably played for the worst coach in the sunflower league in my opinion. To have that much talent and not make it to state when most said they would play for the state title against Heights with that collection of players. I don't think that guy had a clue what to do with that team.

I watched several games this past year including both games against Olathe East and couldn't figure out why he played some kids over others. I for one would like to know why he didn't play that little point guard more. He clearly was the best ball handler and on ball defender on that team. Those kids at times looked very disinterested in what he was telling them.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

Ojelye is another example of KU thinking it can swoop in at the last minute and get these local kids. It's cost them in the past (Burks and Cauley to name a couple) and they need to get on the better local kids early. I think KU is probably after higher kids at that position, and want him as a fall back in case they don't land the higher rated kids. In this case it is a mistake because this kid can play. If you're in the top 50 nationally and playing in Ottawa, KS, that probably means if you were playing on the East coast you would be in the top 10 or 20.

KU also needs to look long and hard at Tyrone Taylor out of Grandview...only a Sophomore, but he's getting high D1 looks and scholarship offers from other schools already, but hasn't heard from any of the KU coaches. I hope that's about to change. He's about 6'2", very athletic and a natural point guard and probably has another 2 inches left to grow. His Dad looks to be a solid 6'5".

I heard from a reliable source KU tried to get on Cauley late, and they were asked where they had been when all of the other majors were recruiting him. Cauley will be a good player at UK, not initially, but he is very talented. He just needs someone to get him motivated. There is too much talent there for him to have had such mediocre numbers in high school. It didn't help that Shields was on the same team and there were not enough balls to go around. The same thing happened with Michael Dixon...KU tried to make a run late, but it was too late.

These kids and their handlers get hurt feelings when KU doesn't come at them early. I'm not suggesting we offer, but at least give them a phone call to let them know you're potentially interested and watching. This area has been producing some of the better players in the country recently and nobody seems to be paying much attention in Lawrence. Hard to argue with Self's success, and I wouldn't trade Self for any coach in America, but we can't afford to miss out on the next Alec Burks or Marcus Denmon.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

Dixon committed in July of '08. We had already signed Tyrone Appleton and Tyshawn that spring, had Collins returning, as well as Reed in the middle.

I don't believe KU actually offered Dixon. Did he choose MU out of insult? Or might he have looked at the stable of point guards already at KU and looked elsewhere?

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

I can't get too riled up about Burks or Cauley.

On Burks, he pretty much snuck up on everyone, by virtue of a late, late growth spurt, a la Anthony Davis. I'm not sure how upset I can get about KU not recruiting every kid that comes out of the Kansas City if they aren't a good fit. Before his growth spurt, he was more of a 6-footer and a PG, since he wasn't tall enough to realistically have a chance of playing any other position. I think you just have to chalk that one up to random chance and move on.

Regarding Cauley, I have no reason to question your source's account--but given some of Cauley's other opinions (aka, KU fans are arrogant), the question about "where were you when..." seems more like a kid who had no desire to go to KU getting a little "how dare you disrespect me" jab in, rather than a valid criticism that might've changed his interest had he been recruited early on. And quite honestly, I want nothing to do with an 18-year-old with that kind of ego. He's not Michael Jordan. He should see it as somewhat of a testament to his ability that KU recruited him AT ALL, not a slight that they got in the game late.

If Cauley did ask that question, I hope Coach Self (or whoever would have been lead recruiter) told him:

"Well kid, there were other, better players available that we wanted more than you. Welcome to being an adult in the real world."

...and promptly walked out the door.

Recruiting is a delicate balance. If you show too much interest, too soon, KU risks getting a reputation as a school whose "interest" is nothing more than casting as wide a net as possible. If you show none, some of the more sensitive (read as: egotistical) recruits are going to get indignant that they didn't garner your attention earlier.

Personally, I'd prefer to miss out on players we recruit late in the game and not run the risk of having to tell players we showed initial interest in that we don't really have a spot after all. I feel like both approaches lead to hurt feelings, but that it's a bit more valid to have hurt feelings from KU showing interest and backing off (which misleads the recruit) than it is to have hurt feelings from KU entering the picture when they KNOW that they have serious interest.

As I noted above, any HS kid who feels slighted that KU didn't start recruiting until late has far more ego that we want to deal with.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

Trust me, they all feel slighted when the local school doesn't pay any attention to them and then trys to swoop in at the last second. Your comments on Burk are somewhat valid, but I was aware of him even prior to the growth spurt, and had a couple of people in the know tell me KU and MU were going to regret not going after him. He was high D1 even before the growth spurt. I do sense this coaching staff is more than a little East coast biased. I get that to some extent. They like hard nosed tough kids, but KC has had those kind of kids as well. Denmon is definitely of that mold. Cauley is not, but Cauley is 6'11" with soft hands and very coordinated. With Bill Self on his a$$ every day in practice, he could have been a first team All American by his Junior or Senior year. Cauley was recruited by KSU very, very early, so he probably wasn't much of a KU fan. I'm guessing he developed as a KSU fan, but then UK became interested and KSU went out the window. Who is to say that KU couldn't have swung him if they'd have made a few calls when he was a sophomore and junior.

As for the comment above about Dixon, KU did try to get in on him late. I don't know how bad they wanted him, but they did make a late run. I don't consider him that big of a loss, and I'm sure KU didn't either, though we could have certainly used his outside shooting this year. Denmon, on the other hand, that's a kid that could have helped us win a National Championship. I knew we were making a mistake overlooking him.

Like I said, we don't need to offer scholarships to these guys as Sophomores, but it doesn't hurt to call them periodically and just say, "Hey, you're still being watched and we have some interest..." That's all these kids want. It sends the wrong message when we miss out on a Kaleb Tarczewski and then call a kid who wasn't even on our radar (and then wonder why he doesn't get on his knees and say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!".) No highly ranked kid in America would appreciate that situation. Having that sort of attitude doesn't make the kid a bad kid. By the way, I'd rather have Cauley than Tarczewski...Tarczewski is a plodder. He's better currently but Cauley has the higher up side.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

Can coaches just call recruits at regular intervals and say, "Hey, you're still being watched and we have some interest . . . " without it being a recruiting violation?

I'm unclear as to where the line is drawn.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

During contact periods, yes. I believe Coaches can also contact high school and AAU coaches and ask the players parents to call them if interested during other times. But I'm not even talking about badgering kids and calling them every day. Just every now and then.

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't know if some early calls to Cauley would have turned the tide, but I do know that the coaching staff has a finite amount of resources and manpower. They have to make decisions about how many recruits to actively go after, and how much manpower to devote to each one. I'm skeptical that they realistically have enough time to make a monthly (NCAA limit for Juniors) calls and twice-a-week (NCAA limit for Seniors) calls to fringe recruits that may not be at the top of their list.

I also think the process isn't quite as easy as just making a "hey, we're watching and are interested" call a few times. At some point, that phone call is either too much (if you end up finding out that you're going to land your higher-profile targets) or not enough (if the recruit wants you to actually show interest rather than dip a proverbial toe in the water).

You can't just call a recruit and say you're interested without some kind of basis for the interest. The coach needs to be able to talk about having seen the player, or something about his game so that the player knows he's not just getting a call to keep the iron warm in case a higher priority falls through. That means watching tape, going to games, devoting man-hours to that recruit, when he's not really at the top of the list. I don't think that's a realistic expectation if the coaching staff only wanted Cauley because they whiffed on other options.

As far as Alec Burks goes, I'm actually pretty impressed that you were high on him before his late come-on, because literally (ok, not literally :-D) no one else was. The list of schools that showed interest is as follows:

Colorado Drake KSU Missouri State Santa Clara Virginia (no offer) Wichita St.

He was a 3-star athlete who wasn't part of the Rivals 150, and was recruited as such. It just so happens that Burks has a good enough head on his shoulders to stick with his original commitment, and reward Bzdelik and CU for having seen his potential before it became obvious to everyone else.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 10 months ago

Ellis and Frankamp were not "swooped" at the last minute.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

Those were early scholarship offers but, regardless, we landed both of them because we showed our interest and didn't wait until they were in their senior year to decide to go contact them.

Kye Clark 6 years, 10 months ago

Cauley is as soft as they come. After watching him play a couple of times, I was glad we weren't after him.

This isn't just personal opinion either. There was an ESPN recruiting article that mentioned him as the most overrated prospect in the class, because he is soft, not aggressive, passive, etc.

Maybe he develops into a solid player. He's definitely long & athletic. But coming out of high school he's weak.

jdhawk1988 6 years, 10 months ago

Let St. Johns have him.

Fight for Lyons as a one year compliment and use that scholarships for one of these top guys.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

I still would like to see Turner get some tough love at KU. Right now, he needs some stability in his life. I would hate to see a kid so young hit that 'radioactive' level.

If HCBS thinks he is worth taking a shot on, I certainly wouldn't question it.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

radioactive? He turned brown (Larry Brown).

jdhawk1988 6 years, 10 months ago

I asked one of the coaches about Ojelye last week and he said "to be honest we have probably done a poor job on him early, but they are planning to go at him hard and they are definately in it."

He also said Walker tops their list of all recruits.

Robert Brock 6 years, 10 months ago

FWIW: Randle is not a SF. He is a face-up four. The Hawks could use him.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

Recruiting is no different than playing the stock market. If only we all had a crystal ball. Every recruit has their own unique scenario and reasons - some more logical (to us) than others. Someone mentioned Alec Burke. Here's the back story:

How in the world did Colorado (6-3) get this kid? CU coaches spotted Burks while scouting a 2008 summer camp at a small Kansas college.

"There were two gyms. One was air-conditioned, one was not," Bzdelik recalled. "I went to the gym that was not air-conditioned, because there were only about two other coaches in there. Alec made a couple of moves right in front of me, about 10 feet off the baseline. I thought those moves were really special. From that moment on, we recruited him hard."

Burks took his official visit to Boulder during a September 2008 weekend and watched the Buffs football team upset 21st-ranked West Virginia at Folsom Field. Talk about timing.

"I got to rush the field with my future teammates," Burks recalled. "I felt like I was at home. I loved it so much, I didn't want to leave. And I was tired of the recruiting process. I wanted to get it over with."Burks signed during the November 2008 signing period, prior to his senior year of high school, with little fanfare.

Colorado's primary competition was Kansas State. He sprouted 4 inches over the next two years, which has enabled him to take his game to new heights. Had Burks not signed early, other suitors surely would have come calling, because Burks broke out during his senior season, averaging 23 points per game and leading Grandview to the state championship game in Missouri's largest classification. He was selected the state's Gatorade player of the year.

Colorado got a steal. That's what Kansas coach Bill Self said when he saw Burks play in the Missouri Class 5A state championship game last spring. Self was there to scout a junior playing for Chaminade High of St. Louis. But he couldn't help but notice Burks, who had already signed with the Buffs.

"Colorado did a good job of identifying him early," Self said in a phone interview. "There are schools in this area, and you can include Kansas, that will look back and think, 'Gosh, the Burks kid was right there under our nose. He could have been a nice fit for us.' "

I'm glad we didn't pursue Cauley. Mediocre stats and marginal attitude. Posters would have been dissing right and left. The reason he seems more desirable now is because Kentucky took him on.

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

Even some of the UK faithful recognize that Cauley (who is now Cauley-Stein) is no blue chip prospect. A solid player, absolutely, but his Rivals ranking (#40) is based as much on his height (and therefore potential) as it is any production he had in HS.

I'm of the opinion that Calipari recruited him mostly out of a desire to make a statement about getting a kid out of KU's backyard than anything else. Obviously, he's not going to do that with just any basketball player from the state of Kansas, but with a top 50 kid, it's a very low risk, high reward play.

If he doesn't get him, oh well--he's in Kansas' backyard and he's not even a top 10 recruit.

If he DOES, now he can claim to be making inroads into Kansas' backyard and he's got a rare 3-4 year player around whom to compile his roster of one-and-done, I'm-only-playing-college-ball-because-of-the-NBA's-rule types.

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

I had thought the EXACT same thing of Cal's pursuit of Cauley(-Stein). I chalked it up to being paranoid/cynical or having an over-active imagination.

So, either we're both delusional . . . OR great minds think alike, and we're on to something. Given Cal's competitive and somewhat superficial nature, it would be just the sort of high school type stunt to pull.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who disses Cauley is looking only at his statistics, and not at all at his natural ability. They also almost certainly didn't see him play. The kid is 6'11" and has soft hands, he's very fast down the floor (for his size or any size for that matter), he is very well coordinated and is very athletic. Did he underachieve at the high school level? Absolutely. Was he worthy of a Kentucky scholarship? Absolutely. Will KU regret not making an earlier run at him? Highly likely. I don't look for him to play much at UK this coming season, but in 2 to 3 years, he will be a factor for them.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

A very enjoyable read although I do disagree about Cauley... Until I understand the nature of his antipathy towards Kansas, I think we had tunnel vision on Kaleb Tarczewski and probably missed out on a kid right under our noses.

I know a few posters have stated how happy they are that we didn't pursue him but I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few posters on the Kentucky boards who are equally happy.

I doubt Cal spent so much time on him, just to show he could come into Kansas and walk off with the second highest-ranked Kansas recruit.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

I would be interested in a link where Willie Cauley called Kansas fans "arrogant" as mentioned above. Have never seen it.

Here's a nice story on Cauley.

However, being relatively near the issue -- I've seen Cauley play, know Shields a bit from his coaching youth football (but no info from him), and the dreaded "hearing stuff" -- from some that know Will Shields well. The general word is that Shields steered Cauley away from KU, and that was significantly related to KU's disinterest in Shavon Shields, Will's son. Do not place too much stock in that. It is just what I've heard.

I did not hear that Cauley had anything negative to say about KU.

And as for the comments that Cauley is not really a high level prospect, I would agree from seeing him. He did not dominate or do near what you'd expect a near 7 footer to do in a suburban high school setting. But the potential is there.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

I read that story.. do we really want a power forward who wastes his time playing football in his senior year? Oh wait a sec...

ByourSELF 6 years, 10 months ago

Major, you are the closet to the truth. The recruiting world is very competitive, highly volatile and many people have their hands in the cookie jar when a kid is a high recruit. Everyone from the kids parents, friends, AAU coach, high school coach and recruiting agencies think they know the best place for a kid to go. Most are doing it for their own benefit and not for the kid. Having seen him play in other places other than the sunflower league where his talents were held in check for the betterment of the team (sarcasm). He will be a high quality 3-4 year player. One that I would have liked to see in a KU jersey instead of a UK one. Cal doesn't put that much time into a kid he doesn't think can play.

Rybarns 6 years, 10 months ago

Isn't Will Shields at a lot of KU games? It seems like they always show him on TV. If so, why would he steer Cauley away from KU? And isn't Cauley a better prospect at back-up center next season than Landen Lucas and Zach Peters?

Kye Clark 6 years, 10 months ago

Depends on what you value in your players as to whether or not Cauley is a better prospect. I'd say he's definitely more athletic than Lucas and Peters. But, as I stated above, he's soft and not at all aggressive. Would Self & Co. toughen him up, or would he shrink under the pressure? Would you rather be coaching effort and aggressiveness, or trying to advance the skills of less physically talented players? Would you rather have CJ Giles, or Darnell Jackson? (last is not the greatest comparison, but Giles was somebody with a higher ceiling that never seemed to get it, while Darnell brought a workman like attitude to the game that allowed him to hang around the league for a couple of years).

dylans 6 years, 10 months ago

How about Raef LaFrentz or Eric Chenowith?

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

He would steer Cauley clear of KU because Self was not interested in his son, Shevon, who is going to Nebraska. That's the rumor at least. Nothing more than what I've heard.

milosgrandson 6 years, 10 months ago

We have all heard HCBS say that Peters is very under rated. From what my Portland folks tell me, Lucas may be the most under rated kid in high school. He has great size, strength, and footwork. That is available to be seen on any of his highlight footage. People who know him have also said that he has great character, great competitor, no ego, and wants to get better. The local word is that all he really needs is a strong strength and conditioning program. No doubts the he finds that at his new home, KU.

jhox 6 years, 10 months ago

I've seen Peters and would agree with Coach Self. I you want to compare him skill wise to another KU guy, think of Nick Collison type skills. I don't believe he has Nick's inside game, but he is very skilled, and I expect him to develop quickly. He's a big guy who is comfortable with the ball out on the floor...good ball handler and very good court vision. His laying out last summer killed his ranking but he's a legit top 50 type of player.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

Comparing Peters to Collison ... I dare say someone as been smoking some wacky weed (Self included if he said that). Legit top 50 player? Have you seen him play? He wasn't a top 100 player before sitting out summer ball and certainly isn't one now. I just think he's a guy we need to be patient with, that can develop into a serviceable player. But not even in the same league as Collison.

REHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

jhox, welcome to the wacky weed brigade. We've gotta tread lightly. This High Elite guy looks to be a resurrected Vern Miller with a lofty alias. You and I (maybe even BIll Self?) might be called to account and dragged before the Kansas State Powers of Jurisprudence for expressing free opinions and controversial viewpoints in LJW posts.

Alex Peekeaton 6 years, 10 months ago

Comparing to Collison and a top 50 player??? Peters didn't make either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all area teams for city of Dallas after this past season. Definitely a work in progress...

trustyourSelf 6 years, 10 months ago

The ones I really hope we get out of the 2013 class is Walker and Freeman.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 10 months ago

I want KU basketball news every day until Late Night. Nite. Whatever.