Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Xavier transfer Mark Lyons considering KU

Kansas University is recruiting former Xavier University basketball combo guard Mark Lyons, according to Lyons’ former prep school coach, Jason Smith.

Lyons, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound junior out of Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and originally from Schenectady, N.Y., was released from his scholarship agreement at Xavier on Monday.

Lyons, who averaged 15.1 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists a game last season, is also being pursued by Arizona, Kentucky and UCLA, Smith indicated on Twitter. Syracuse is another possibility.

Lyons will be immediately eligible if he can complete his undergraduate degree in May.

The Associated Press reported that Xavier coach Chris Mack and Lyons “were at odds during the season, when the guard repeatedly tried to take over games by driving into crowds of defenders or taking long shots.”

Lyons also was suspended two games for his role in a fight against Cincinnati in December. Four players from both teams were suspended as a result of that nonconference brawl.

“After our end-of-the-season meeting with Mark, it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward,” Mack said Monday. “During our meeting, expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement. Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important, and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well.”

Lyons was recruited to Xavier by current Arizona head coach Sean Miller.

Arizona recently lost a point guard in sophomore-to-be Josiah Turner, who has announced plans to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school. KU returns starting combo guard Elijah Johnson and reserve point Naadir Tharpe, who played sparingly as a freshman.

Lyons last season dished 94 assists against 74 turnovers while logging 32 minutes per game for the Musketeers, who reached the Sweet 16. He hit 176 of 414 shots for 42.5 percent. He made 58 of 148 threes for 39.2 percent. He scored in double figures in 29 games with a career-high 27 points against Saint Louis on Jan. 25. Lyons finished his career 28th on Xavier’s all-time scoring (1,194 points).

Lyons, a third-team all-Atlantic 10 pick, told the Arizona Daily Star he is looking forward to proving he’s a true point guard. He played combo guard last year, with Tu Holloway running the point most of the time.

“That’s what I’m going to play my final year,” Lyons told the Daily Star. “Tu Holloway was one of the best in the country so I didn’t get to play it. A lot of people don’t think I can play point guard.”

Parker taps UCLA: Tony Parker, a 6-9 senior forward from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., on Monday signed a letter-of-intent with UCLA. He chose the Bruins over Duke, Georgia and Ohio State. KU apparently was eliminated prior to Parker’s news conference because a Jayhawk cap was not placed next to those of his other four finalists.

Parker, who is Rivals.com’s No. 27-rated player, first grabbed hats from Georgia and Ohio State before opening his shirt to reveal a UCLA T-shirt.

“I just wanted to go to a place with a winning tradition,” Parker told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

At UCLA, he’ll be reunited with his former Atlanta Celtics coach, Korey McCray, who is on the UCLA staff.

“Yes sir, I did want to play for Korey,” Parker told the Journal-Constitution. “We’re extremely close. He’s like an older brother to me, and he has been looking out for me for a long time … I really thought if I went to UCLA, Korey could really develop me. He pushes me hard.”

ESPN’s Dave Telep ranks UCLA’s incoming class, which includes No. 1-ranked Shabazz Muhammad and No. 3 Kyle Anderson, No. 1 in the country. Telep said Kentucky would garner the No. 1 class for the fourth-straight year if the Wildcats land No. 7 Anthony Bennett of Findlay Prep High (Henderson, Nev.) this spring.

New name: James Young, a 6-5 junior from Troy, Mich., is considering KU, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan State and others, Rivals.com reports. Young is rated No. 9 in the Class of 2013. He averaged 25 points a game (hitting 12 of 27 threes) during a weekend AAU tournament in Minnesota, which KU coach Bill Self attended.

Comments

lee3022 1 year, 12 months ago

KU does likely need an upperclassman PG to back up Johnson. Tharpe might make the grade but without Johnson we are still too thin. That said I see nothing about Lyons that indicate he is that guy. Bad press? Inaccurate? Perhaps but his conduct against Cincinnati makes him toxic and his quotes above make him all about him and not KU. That we can do without.

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 12 months ago

We may need Lyons for if Tharpe is a terrible player again this next year. But if Tharpe does well, I don't give a damn about Lyons. We have better guards in Elijah, Travis, and Ben McLemore. Then we also have a promising backup in Andrew White.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 12 months ago

How did KU miss out on World Peace?

midwest_muser 1 year, 12 months ago

For maximum cancer transfer humor, check out ESPN's story on Mizzou transfers and scroll thru the conversation thread. What seems like Alex Oriakhi's dad rips posters who challenge AO's valor and skills...It's eerie...and hilarious...the soundtrack for this Mizzery season might be "The Twilight Zone"...

REHawk 1 year, 12 months ago

At the risk of going down as a Bill Self socksniffer, I'll vote to stand by our coach if he should decide to gamble on bringing Mark Lyons aboard. If he appears on the scene, then Self sees an immediate need to bolster the point guard position...or to keep Elijah at the helm of combo guard swinging between the 1/2. From what I viewed of that Xavier/Cincy fracas, I wouldn't much care to see any of those combatants in a Jayhawk singlet, though I am quite aware that the refs allowed that game to get out of control quite some time before fists were thrown and group emotions gushed into the sportsnewscups which proceeded to runneth over. The one and done thing tends to dull my anticipatory enthusiasms. Regarding the Tony Parker press conference, I say WHEW! We dodged a real hollow point when that shot was fired. The cap tricks combined with a supermanlike t-shirt gimmick? The feebs appear to be in a race to take over any willing asylum. Best of luck to Ben Howland, who, having survied recent mayhem, is on track to wield a pitiful buggywhip over a herd of thundering rhinos.

jaybate 1 year, 12 months ago

I know the kid looks like a potential problem, but on the other hand, any kid smart enough to want to get away from the recent Xavier coaching legacy might be a person that can be redirected.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 12 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about Walker giving a pending verbal? I ran across this recently http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Florida-Basketball-Recruiting-Five-Star-Forward-Chris-Walker-To-Announce-Soon-S3166965/ but was unable to confirm it at any credible source. I don't see anything on his twitter indicating an announcement is pending either. Once again, he's really good friends with Greene, and said a few months ago that if he were going to commit today, it'd be Kansas. If there is a verbal coming soon, that bodes well for us. Thoughts?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

Forget about Lyons......drive time from his home town of Schenectady, NY to Syracue, NY..two hours. This New York lad is going home to Boehiem Land, where the patients totally run the asylum.....he'll fit right in.

Andy Hess 1 year, 12 months ago

a winning tradition? UCLA has won 1 national championship in the last 37 years.

1jhawk2 1 year, 12 months ago

Whatever happend to the recruit Nino Jackson? Wasn't he considering KU for the upcoming season?

Stephan123 1 year, 12 months ago

If Lyons is booted off Xavier for disagreeing with his coach on "areas of improvement", he may be too into his own agenda and not the teams. Could create poor team chemistry if Lyons ends up at KU.

1 year, 12 months ago

Is our flirting with Lyons a backup plan in case we don't get Adams? How long before we find out how he did on his ACT?

Here is a repost of a nice short article on Anrio from last month:

kckmedic 1 year, 12 months ago

I think EJ will run the point with Naadir as the projected backup. I think they just want insurance at the point in case Naadir doesn't improve. Say EJ gets injured or gets into foul trouble and Naadir continues to turn the ball over. You have nobody else on the roster as a "point guard." Maclemore is a true 2 guard. Same with Travis. Travis could even bee looked at as a combo 2/3. So, I get why we're looking. But I also won't be disappointed if we don't get someone else. I'd also rather go with what we have than take someone with a lot of baggage just to get another guard.

shinguard 1 year, 12 months ago

If we end up losing a few more games next season due to not having Lyons on the team, I am okay with that. I understand that we need basketball players and not boy scouts, but this kid is a bit over the top. In addition to his well documented attitude issues, he already graduated so he will have no accountability to any class work. He will be a one-year player only so there is no school loyalty either. Be aware. Be very aware. Wherever Lyons ends up, I see him being a cancer to the team. I see him wanting to play one last season for the parties and the ladies - not much else. What else does he have to play for? He is not NBA caliber.

With that being said, if Bill does give him an offer and he accepts, he will have the opportunity to prove all of us wrong.

Brian Powell 1 year, 12 months ago

Why do we want this guy??

We're fine with EJ and Tharpe running the point. With the addition of BMac, and a healthy Travis, etc. I think we'll be in great shape with guards. We have more wings and bigs this year too, so maybe we play a little big.

We sure don't need to get someone else's trouble -- and after he graduates? What's the point?

KGphoto 1 year, 12 months ago

Don't want Lyons. Glad Parker went to UCLA. Both those guys make me uneasy. The whole thing with publicly dissing schools who tried to recruit you, who spent money recruiting you... shameful. What a complete tool. He's perfect for UCLA.

I'm guessing if Howland couldn't control the team before, he's gonna get steamrolled by this lineup. Wooden is rolling over right now.

Ross Cargo 1 year, 12 months ago

Just say no to Lyons. Get in a brawl, drive into crowds and jack up shots that the coach advised you not to do. What a piece of work. No way do I want that guy.

Cameron Schienebeck 1 year, 12 months ago

Winning tradition? UCLA can barely put together a winning season. To get all these recruits after all the controversy around Howland and that program I can't imagine anything good is going to come of this. If Hoeland can't win with this bunch he will be fired and Parker isn't good enough to be one and done.

BahrainJayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Let's pass on this Lyons guy!!!!

In case you forgot what happened during their Cincinnati v Xavier game and then the post game press conference. He looked like a fool after the game with those comments. That isn't what we want in AFH. I know he is just a 'kid' and people deserve 2nd chances but I think there are others out there that will give him a 2nd chance. We don't need him. The only reason he would be good for us is to bring some edge and a little bit of a mean streak to our team, but at what cost? I would rather steer clear of him, but then again I am sitting in the desert so I will defer to HCBS on this one and trust his instincts.

Thank you coach for a memorable year! Let's do it again, that was a fun ride!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

????

I'm a tiny bit biased, but damn, I thought KU had a decent winning tradition. Guess I'd better take another look......

Chris1955 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm glad that the KU baseball cap wasn't on display. I wonder if someone from KU contacted Parker and asked him not to put a KU cap on the table?

JakeBarnes 1 year, 12 months ago

Is KU this hard pressed for a point guard next season?

prusso25 1 year, 12 months ago

We always lose the hat contest.... and I am ok with that.

Am I the only one who wants to see Elijah as the true point guard on the team? He always had a good number of assists each game and made great decisions down the stretch during the tourney. I would like to get this Xavier kid, but I would like Eli to do the majority of the offense-running next season.

Thoughts?

KStoCAHippie 1 year, 12 months ago

Didn't like Parker from the outset -- seemed to have a serious "the world owes me everything" attitude, not to mention the silly, childish hat thing... but man am I ever happy he didn't come to KU now. “I just wanted to go to a place with a winning tradition,” Enjoy UCLA then buddy.